PDA

View Full Version : Overrated and Underrated teams

Bucimal Island
05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Here is my top three for both overrated and underrated. Read em and weap.

OVERRATED:

Dallas Cowboys: Lot of ppl are putting this team in the superbowl. For they do that they have to show me they can win a playoff game. Until then I will see them as overrated and overheiped

Oakland Raiders: People have this team winning atleast .500 games. Really? Didn't I hear that last year and the year before that. People asume that McFadden is going to be a one man team or something. Grabbing a franchise back did for New Orleans and is working for Minnesota. I think they will improve but not at .500

Jacksonville Jaguars: Colts fans must be so sick of hearing how this team is going to take the division from them. Because they almost derailed the Pats in the Division Round and stockpilled thier D-line with a few DEs in the draft and David Gerrard should be better in his 2nd year as a starter (people assume). Its like what retired WWE great Ric Flair says, "To be the man, you have to beat the man". So dont give the Jags the title yet.

UNDERRATED

Buffalo Bills: I think this is one of a few teams that will turn some heads this year. They have a young franchise QB, they drafted a monster CB and then took WR James Hardy who my Bucs passed on. They will not fight for the AFC East crown but I expect this team to be there in January. Why? they play in the easiest division in the NFL, they play the NFC West and the AFC West. In the AFC West only one team will come out that division, and the AFC North and South teams will be beating each other up. People for some reason dont see the potential this team has.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Obviously winning your division does not get you a lot anymore. People say the reason we won it was becuase of are "veterans". Guess what are rookies and other young players pitched in as well. Im also sick of hearing how Garcia and Galloway are going to fall apart. Didn't we hear that last year. Seems to me the Bucs play thier best ball when people doubt them and so called experts have them finishing 5-11 or 4-12 when we are a lot better. Last year and the 05-06 season we were doubted and how did that work out??? The saints are favored to win this division but like i said about the Colts and Jags. To be the champ you have to beat the champ.

Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals: I could not make up my mind on this one so I will do them both. Like the Bucs and Bills, they are disrespected. Both teams have the fire power on offense to put up huge numbers and blow away defenses. Both are young and I expect both to be around in January. The Redskins new if they wanted a chance at the NFC East crown they would need the offense (see the 2008 NFL Draft). The Cardinals have trouble with getting Matt Leinhart in line. All you need is a little paycheck cutting and he will be around. They need to start paying him for his services on the field not off the field. It would not suprise me if both teams won thier divisions. Like i said they have the talent and people do not see that.

21ST
05-08-2008, 08:54 AM

OVERRATED:

Dallas Cowboys: Lot of ppl are putting this team in the superbowl. For they do that they have to show me they can win a playoff game. Until then I will see them as overrated and overheiped

Oakland Raiders: People have this team winning atleast .500 games. Really? Didn't I hear that last year and the year before that. People asume that McFadden is going to be a one man team or something. Grabbing a franchise back did for New Orleans and is working for Minnesota. I think they will improve but not at .500

Jacksonville Jaguars: Colts fans must be so sick of hearing how this team is going to take the division from them. Because they almost derailed the Pats in the Division Round and stockpilled thier D-line with a few DEs in the draft and David Gerrard should be better in his 2nd year as a starter (people assume). Its like what retired WWE great Ric Flair says, "To be the man, you have to beat the man". So dont give the Jags the title yet.

UNDERRATED

Buffalo Bills: I think this is one of a few teams that will turn some heads this year. They have a young franchise QB, they drafted a monster CB and then took WR James Hardy who my Bucs passed on. They will not fight for the AFC East crown but I expect this team to be there in January. Why? they play in the easiest division in the NFL, they play the NFC West and the AFC West. In the AFC West only one team will come out that division, and the AFC North and South teams will be beating each other up. People for some reason dont see the potential this team has.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Obviously winning your division does not get you a lot anymore. People say the reason we won it was becuase of are "veterans". Guess what are rookies and other young players pitched in as well. Im also sick of hearing how Garcia and Galloway are going to fall apart. Didn't we hear that last year. Seems to me the Bucs play thier best ball when people doubt them and so called experts have them finishing 5-11 or 4-12 when we are a lot better. Last year and the 05-06 season we were doubted and how did that work out??? The saints are favored to win this division but like i said about the Colts and Jags. To be the champ you have to beat the champ.

Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals: I could not make up my mind on this one so I will do them both. Like the Bucs and Bills, they are disrespected. Both teams have the fire power on offense to put up huge numbers and blow away defenses. Both are young and I expect both to be around in January. The Redskins new if they wanted a chance at the NFC East crown they would need the offense (see the 2008 NFL Draft). The Cardinals have trouble with getting Matt Leinhart in line. All you need is a little paycheck cutting and he will be around. They need to start paying him for his services on the field not off the field. It would not suprise me if both teams won thier divisions. Like i said they have the talent and people do not see that.

Im pretty sure the redskins are one of the oldest teams in the league. I dont think they are underrated but they i agree that they are disrespected alot.

Thunder&Lightning
05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Overrated:
Cardinals
Jets

Underrated:
Bills
Redskins

gdamac
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Why you gotta kick us when we're down? Peter King just rated us 30th. I don't know who you have been reading, I haven't read anybody who is objective say the Raiders will be .500. I mean I think they can, but that doesn't count for them being overrated. Jeez, lose 61 games in 5 years AND get called overrated? That is rough.

Funny how your team won it's division, and is underrated though. Also the Bills have been getting some love, I don't think their underrated, from what I read they are expected to do well. King has them rated 13th in the league, that's not bad with a 2nd year QB.

EDIT: Oh, I see from your liked/disliked thread why you put the Raiders in there. Your own team is underrated and a team you admit you dislike is overrated, hmmmm.

Caddy
05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
In all fairness Garcia and Galloway did fall apart at times during last season. When Garcia went down it wasn't too much of a problem because we were pretty much guaranteed first place in the South, but when Galloway was hurt against the Giants it really hurt us.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Overrated:
Cardinals
Jets

Underrated:
Bills
Redskins

thus is the reason u are my arch nemesis. The Jets are not overrated. The Giants are overrated because they aren't good enough to win a superbowl even though they did!! They will never do it again!! NEVER!!

Jughead10
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
thus is the reason u are my arch nemesis. The Jets are not overrated. The Giants are overrated because they aren't good enough to win a superbowl even though they did!! They will never do it again!! NEVER!!

I think the Jets are a bit overrated this season. They got a lot of new guys but it they have to play together first. It kind of reminds me when the Giants brought in McKenzie, Pierce, and Burress in one offseason.

And I think people are severely overrating the effect someone like Calvin Pace is going to have on the team. They talk here in NY like he is actually a great player. Extremely average he is. But I think they hit a HR in the draft with Gholston. Not so sure about Keller. And I'm not sure about the Jenkins trade or Woody as a longtime RT. He is better suited at G in my opinion.

GermanSaint
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
overrated :

cardinals
panthers

underrated :
no one really

Iamcanadian
05-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Overrated:

The NFL is a QB/schedule league where the schedule gives 7 or 8 new teams a year a reasonable chance to make the playoffs and a franchise QB practically guarantees the teams they play for an opportunity to make the playoffs every year.

So when I look at the playoff teams that made the playoffs last year who lacks a true franchise QB, I can see that Green Bay, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Washington are almost assured of not making the playoffs this coming season.

Green Bay - Obviously a tough situation with Favre retiring.
Jacksonville - I just don't think Garrard is good enough to put a guarantee beside Jacksonville's team. They will get a serious challenge from Houston.
Tampa Bay - Simply not good enough to make it 2 years in a row.
Washington - Team was built by Gibbs to suit his style and his retirement will be felt.

Underrated:

Teams with a reasonable chance to make the playoffs in the AFC would include Houston, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York and Oakland. Teams with a reasonable chance to make the playoffs from the NFC are Arizona, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Philadelphia.

Houston - Not special at QB but an improving team that will challenge Jacksonville for the #2 spot.
Cleveland - could go either direction but if Anderson is the real deal, they will be a very tough team.
Cincinnati has Palmer and that makes them dangerous but is Lewis the HC who can get the job done.
New York - Everybody loves Buffalo but Edwards is only in his 2nd year and may be a year away. If Pennington can stay healthy the Jets have a shot. They are a young team but Clemens isn't the answer.
Oakland - I'm probably a year ahead of myself but if Russell develops, this team is going to be soon among the Pats and the Indys of the league. Russell has all the natural abilty in the world but is his head screwed on right. Time will tell.
Arizona - Everything is in place for a quantum leap forward if Leinart is ready to produce.
Minnesota - Can AD stay healthy, that has always been his problem? Will Jackson continue to grow? We'll have to see, but if both happen, then they'll be in the playoffs.
New Orleans - This team could take the next step and begin to dominate the NFC South. Defense should be improved after a great trade up to get Ellis and they should rank among the better teams in the NFC.
Philadelphia - It all starts and ends with McNabb. If he can stay healthy, they are as good as anyone but that is a big if.

MetSox17
05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Overrated when the Cowboys went 13-3 last year?

No one is putting them in the Superbowl, all i've heard is that they're the team to beat, and you know what? They are. They were the team to beat last year, and they got beat. So what. They ran into a buzzsaw with the Giants, and it doesn't hurt to say that your team lost to the Superbowl Champs... The same team that beat the, at the time, 18-0 Patriots.

I don't understand how you think the Jaguars are overrated. Who exactly is crowning them the Division champs? I'd like to see some links or sources for that because everyone has always known that the Colts are the team to beat. They have a very good team, with an improved defensive line.. which was their achilles heal last season.

The Cardinals underrated? They've underperformed every single year that they've been hyped, so i don't get where you see this underrated junk. They have an ancient quarterback and an aging running back. I doubt "Leinhart" beats out Warner, and i don't see their offensive line improving much. They're gonna have a rookie and an under-performing first round pick starting at CB so teams are gonna go at them all year. I'd be surprised if they finish over .500

PackerLegend
05-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Im not really sure that the Packers are overated.... They did make it to the NFC Championship game last year and almost made the superbowl. This team was more then Favre, he wasnt the only reason we did as good as we did. I think everyone understands that the loss of Favre hurts but no one has any idea how Rodgers will peform. No one is saying we are even going back to the NFC Championship. I wouldnt call us overated now...maybe midway through the season if we are awful but not now.

Also Minny underated? Im pretty sure there not underated/overated, right about in the middlle of the pack and lots of people have them claiming the division.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-08-2008, 12:04 PM

How the hell are we over rated? We won the superbowl, then highest level there is. If there is a rating, and winning the superbowl is the highest, we hit it! We won. And not being good enough to win the superbowl? Are you new to football? We played with the Pats toe to toe in the regular season, and we played them toe to toe in the superbowl.

Stop whining, because it was a the worse scenerio as a Jet fan. To have a division rival in the superbowl, VS the Giants, your neighbor.

no love
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Overrated:

Arizona Cardinals - It seems like every year for the past couple seasons I have been hearing how they are the dark horse for the NFC west leader. Every year, they have a great draft, get the right coaches, say the right things. And every year they disappoint. I can see how on paper they are the most talented team in the west, but until they make it to the playoffs and win the division I am going to stop listening to the hype.

Tampa Bay Bucs - Ok. They made the playoffs last year. But it was the NFC SOUTH, probably the weakest division in the league last year. Any team with a proper running game could have gone in and dominated those defenses last year. This is a team that has stars aging at QB, WR, CB, and LB and their #1 RB is coming off of a nasty injury. Plus, the Saints are back in business and the Panthers will have Delhomme back.

I am a little confused to your point, because you said that coaches switched to this scheme because of draft day advantages, but then you contradict that by say that the draft advantage has dried up.

Underrated

Seattle Seahawks - As much as I hate to give credit to another NFC west team this team is overlooked every year and has underrated players up and down this roster. Hasselback is one of the best qb's in the league, Branch is a former superbowl MVP with a world of talent and that defense is just stocked with talent.

Green Bay Packers - Even without Farve. They still have Jordyzz Nelson.

Gay Ork Wang
05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
This thread is just gonna end up with everyone saying: My team is not overrated

toddmlazarchick
05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Overrated - Cowboys :rolleyes:

Underrated - Redskins :)

nobodyinparticular
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Underrated:

Teams with a reasonable chance to make the playoffs in the AFC would include Houston, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York and Oakland. Teams with a reasonable chance to make the playoffs from the NFC are Arizona, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Philadelphia.

Oakland - I'm probably a year ahead of myself but if Russell develops, this team is going to be soon among the Pats and the Indys of the league. Russell has all the natural abilty in the world but is his head screwed on right. Time will tell.

Wow, that's lofty praise for the Raiders.

mcdlaxbonz13
05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Being a cleveland fan i think they are being overrated, because to much hinges on wheter the offense produces like it did last year. Then the defense is still sketchy, granted they added talent to the d-line but who's to say they will work in a 3-4 defense.

The Unseen
05-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Who exactly is crowning them the Division champs? I'd like to see some links or sources for that because everyone has always known that the Colts are the team to beat. They have a very good team, with an improved defensive line.. which was their achilles heal last season.

I think NFL Network had a thing where they picked the Jags to win the Super Bowl. Also, Peter King ranked the Jaguars #3 in his first preseason ranking...I didn't see it, so I couldn't tell you if the Colts weren't 2nd or 1st.

keylime_5
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Oakland has a decent defensive back 7 but they will not be a good run defense this year without Warren Sapp or a LDE after being a lousy run defense last year. Their O-Line is not good enough to put a top 15 offense around and they essentially will have a rookie QB behind center. Sure they'll have a good running game with McFadden and Fargas, but they had a good running game last year and won 4 games. I think Oakland is a 6 win team this year, so they are overated if people think they'll win more than that.

BeerBaron
05-08-2008, 02:58 PM
This thread is just gonna end up with everyone saying: My team is not overrated

and theyll all list their rivals as being overrated, lol

tjsunstein
05-08-2008, 03:03 PM
The Packers are not overrated. At all. Yes, the loss of Favre does hurt a bit but not as much as people think. He was a gunslinger, when he messed up no one would bother to say anything. We have a young QB, possibly our franchise quarterback running the offense like it should now without the risky passes.

Aaron Rodgers went 18-26, 201 yards, and a touchdown against the Cowboys. That was our offense how it was suppose to be run in the situation. I truely believe that if Favre hadn't put us in that situation, we would have won if Rodgers ran the show.

There wont be any downfall to Rodgers starting this year. He will make the safe passes and manage the offense fine. Sure, he'll make some mistakes but not the same ones Favre made. Favre read the coverage and had so much coinfidence in himself he believed he could fit the ball in between three defenders into the reciever's chest. That's why we loved him.

no love
05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
and theyll all list their rivals as being overrated, lol

I admit partial guilt. Although I did say one of our rivals was underrated as well. Fair and balanced.

bsaza2358
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Overrated:

Cardinals: To steal a line from Bill Simmons--They have been talked about how underrated they are for so long that they've become overrated. How long have they been ready to break out?

Redskins: Everyone seems to forget that they snuck into the playoffs behind a veteran backup QB in the wake of them coming together over a murdered teammate. Campbell is inconsistent and is learning a new system. They still have no pass rush. Who knows how the team will respond to Jim Zorn?

Texans: They played well last year, but are they really ready to take another step this year in a ridiculously tough AFC South? They're not going to sneak up on anyone.

Underrated:

Bills: They played well last year without a lot of experience or talent. They get Poz back on D and added to their secondary and got Hardy as a red zone threat. I am a big believer in them.

Giants: I think they're built to be excellent long term, but no one seems to give them enough credit.

Dallas: Reverse case of the Cards. Talked about being overrated so much that they might just be underrated.

Thunder&Lightning
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM

hahhahaha

the only reason I think the jets are overrated is because they have added so high profile players this offseason... so fans automatically think they will be nasty next year... When they still have issues such as one of the worsed QB situations in the league...

ninerfan
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Underrated

Seattle Seahawks - As much as I hate to give credit to another NFC west team this team is overlooked every year and has underrated players up and down this roster. Hasselback is one of the best qb's in the league, Branch is a former superbowl MVP with a world of talent and that defense is just stocked with talent.

Seattle is not underrated !! IMO their not rated at all. Winning the west hasnt been too hard the last few years and now no Alexander. I cant get excited about them at all

tjsunstein
05-08-2008, 03:15 PM
As for my overrated and underrated:

Overrated:
The Giants... are being played up to be this great team after the magical run, yes I give credit to you guys, but people are expecting this team to win 11 games next year. Not gonna happen, quote me on that.

Underrated:
San Diego.. ladies and gentlemen, if Phillip Rivers can be consistent and that is a big IF. I dont see why they cant make a case for the top two in the AFC.

TitanHope
05-08-2008, 03:26 PM

OVERRATED:

You can't argue against the fact that the 'Boys are among the most talented teams in the NFL. Romo was still an inexperienced QB last season, and a very inexperienced player in the Seattle/botched snap playoff game. It's his third season as a starter, so he'll be more experienced. Eli Manning had that same stigma, and he won it all last season. Plus, Dallas had a solid draft with players such as Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennet, and "Pac-Man" Jones (f/ Tennessee via trade). They didn't lose in FA either. The Giants lost Gibril Wilson and Kawika Mitchell, two starters. Can those guys be replaced? Yes, and they did so in the draft. But to say rookies will replace two veteran starters on a Super Bowl winning team is a lofty assumption. I think the 'Boys are the favorites to win the division, one of the toughest in football, so why is it unreasonable for some people to put them in the Super Bowl?

Who in their right mind is putting the Oakland Raiders at 8-8 (Besides Al Davis, but I said right mind)? And no, you didn't hear that last year and the year before that, unless you live in Oakland maybe. They should have a great secondary, as they've had an under-rated one in the past, and their LB corps is rock solid. But, they still have no OLine or DLine, which is a requirement to just compete in the AFC.

The Jags are a Top 5 team in the NFL. Just because the Colts are #4 doesn't mean the Jags are over-rated.

UNDERRATED

They're an under-rated team, but I don't expect them to make the Playoffs. They won't beat the Pats, and the rest of the AFC East teams have improved. If you subract 2 wins by the Pats, 1 win by San Diego, and 1 win by Seattle, then that means that the Bills can't lost another 3 games to the non-division winning teams. They have a game @Jaguars and Browns to play, and they play @Cardinals, which is a team you list an under-rated. 9-7 won't get you into January, no matter how difficult the other Wild Card teams' schedules may be - the other WC teams will have a tougher SOS, and will win the tie breaker like the Titans did with the Browns last year.

The Bucs aren't a 4-12/5-11 team, but I would have said that after the '05 season too. Then what happened? In '06, they fall off and have the #4 overall pick in the '07 Draft. Over the 5 seasons, the worst team in the NFC South has gone from worst to first. When that happens, sometimes first goes to worst, or at least somewhere inbetween. I'm not saying that will happen, but due to history, you can't complain when people say that - especially when your team has been the biggest part of that pattern for the past 3 seasons. Therefore, your motto of "To be the champ, you have to beat the champ," gets thrown out the window. Plus, the Bucs are old, and not many people can escape the effects of age. They were the worst division winner last year, and wouldn't have made the Playoffs if it weren't for them playing in the easiest division in football. They're not under-rated, and if anything, they're over-rated - you trying to make a case for a division winner being under-rated is complete homerism.

So the Arizona Cardinals will overtake the Seattle Seahawks for the NFC West, and the Washington Redskins will overtake the Cowboys and Giants? The Redskins gained offense, but WR's take time to develop. Devin Thomas is seen as a very raw receiver, Jason Campbell can outrun Malcolm Kelly, and lets hope Fred Davis doesn't sleep in on Sundays. Those guys will help them take the NFC East in '10, but not '09. They should be contenders to make the Playoffs, but the Vikes got better on offense too and the Giants/Cowboys are great teams too.

As for Arizona, I've heard "This is their year," too many times before. Anquan Boldin is unhappy, they lost Calvin Pace, and injury concerns at QB. Do they have potential? Absolutely. But they're not overtaking Seattle in '09, and I don't see them being able to make the WC with the Giants/Cowboys, Redskins, Vikings/Packers, and the Saints. I like Arizona, and I hope they do well, but I don't think they're a Playoff team this year.

leroyisgod
05-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Overrated - Cowboys :rolleyes:

Underrated - Redskins :)

I smell HOMER

Menardo75
05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I think the media over rates the entire NFC East but now on to my list

The Cowboys are big time until they get a QB they will never make it over the hump not to mention they played a very soft schedule last year

I don't know how people would rate the Cardinals but it does sound like they are over rating them until that team learns some discipline they will not be a playoff team

As much as I want to say the Giants I really can't look at what they did this year

I think the Redskins are also because they always do nothing until the last couple games then they win them then do nothing in the playoffs yet they are always listed as a team that should go far

Under rated i would say the Bills every year it seems like you look at their roster and don't remember a single name but somehow they win 6 or 7 games

Geo
05-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars: Colts fans must be so sick of hearing how this team is going to take the division from them.
I love it, same with the Pats and Chargers being favored to win the Super Bowl.

Yatta!
05-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I really think that the Bills are in danger of becoming one of those overhyped 'underrated' teams as everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

Yes, they will be improved after a solid offseason but they won't be that good. Edwards still has a lot to prove and while Hardy is a nice addition, rookie receivers rarely have a big impact. Similarly although the defense is filled with solid players, no one stands out as being exceptional - no real playmakers. Overall, I severly doubt they make the playoffs.

holt_bruce81
05-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Overrated = Cowboys

Underrated = Seahawks

bored of education
05-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Underrated: KC. I think they actually will win at least one game next year.

AkiliSmith
05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Cleveland is being hyped up big time. Very overrated in my book.

Eaglez.Fan
05-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Overrated:
Tennessee
Dallas
NYG

Underrated:
New Orleans
Oakland
GB

JK17
05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I love it, same with the Pats and Chargers being favored to win the Super Bowl.

I mean both teams did make it farther then them last year, its not really unheard of. Why should the Colts be favored over either?

LonghornsLegend
05-08-2008, 07:56 PM
The Cowboys are big time until they get a QB they will never make it over the hump not to mention they played a very soft schedule last year

Its so funny to see some people spout off with their hatred for the Cowboys...Until we find a Qb eh? So Im guessing if Romo played for SF, and had the type of season he had last year, he would be a franchise QB, but because he plays for Dallas he sucks...And he also didn't win the super bowl his very 2 first playoff experiences so he obviously is a choking loser, but you know that might hold some weight if that didn't happen with I don't everybody(Peyton or Eli ring a bell?).

And I would hardly call our schedule soft when we play the Giants, Skins, and Eagles twice a piece along with New England, but your right, it would be MUCH tougher to play the Cardinals & Rams & Seahawks twice a yr, how silly of me:rolleyes:

Raider_fan_Canada
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
If you think the Raiders only got McFadden you seriously need to get better information.

Other key additions are Javon Walker, Gibril Wilson, DeAngelo Hall and Drew Carter. Tommy Kelly will be back healty and playing his best position at the 3 technique.

Then you have Jamarcus Russell that will take the starting QB job and be the only signal caller for the whole year (its underated how this helps a team, even if its not a proven/experienced player).

I cant predict a final record, but I think .500 is very well in reach. A lot rides on the potential of guys like McFadden, Michael Bush, Carter and most of all Russell. Then a lot of question marks about guys like Kelly, Sands, Harris and Walker. Depending on how those issues turn out we could go anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6.

Geo
05-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Russell can't be any worse than Daunte Fumbleballer and Josh McClown.

Yung Flippa
05-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Overrated: Dallas Cowboys

Underrated: Houston Texans

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Who in their right mind is putting the Oakland Raiders at 8-8 (Besides Al Davis, but I said right mind)? And no, you didn't hear that last year and the year before that, unless you live in Oakland maybe. They should have a great secondary, as they've had an under-rated one in the past, and their LB corps is rock solid. But, they still have no OLine or DLine, which is a requirement to just compete in the AFC.This is a load of ********. I'm still amazed that people like to use this argument.
Oakland had the 6th best rushing attack in the NFL last year.The oline was one that was responsible for this.Lamont Jordan,Justin Fargas,and Dominic Rhodes were all able to rush for 100 in a game more than once.
As far as pass protection goes we went from allowing over 70 sacks in 06 to allowing 40 sacks in 07.Cable almost cut the # of sacks in half in just one year.This will be the second season in a while that our oline has kept the same system and the same coach.They will continue to improve.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Oakland has a decent defensive back 7 but they will not be a good run defense this year without Warren Sapp or a LDE after being a lousy run defense last year. Their O-Line is not good enough to put a top 15 offense around and they essentially will have a rookie QB behind center. Sure they'll have a good running game with McFadden and Fargas, but they had a good running game last year and won 4 games. I think Oakland is a 6 win team this year, so they are overated if people think they'll win more than that.
Actually Sapp was horrible against the run last year.He isnt that much of a loss.Burgess is our LDE.Jay Richardson is our RDE and is pretty good against the run.

kalbears13
05-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Cleveland is being hyped up big time. Very overrated in my book.

I would have to say they're overrated. Not extremely overrated but overrated none the less.

Dam8610
05-09-2008, 12:18 AM

I've gotten used to it, people pick them every year, and every year...well, you know how it goes.

G-Men88
05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Overrated: Dallas Cowboys

Underrated: Houston Texans

Completely Agree

Average OT LB
05-09-2008, 12:48 AM
overrated:
1. Green Bay
2. New Orleans
3. jaguars

Underrated:
1. Tenn
2. NYJ
3. eagles

Football Fan
05-09-2008, 02:28 AM
The Packers are not overrated. At all. Yes, the loss of Favre does hurt a bit but not as much as people think. He was a gunslinger, when he messed up no one would bother to say anything. We have a young QB, possibly our franchise quarterback running the offense like it should now without the risky passes.

Aaron Rodgers went 18-26, 201 yards, and a touchdown against the Cowboys. That was our offense how it was suppose to be run in the situation. I truely believe that if Favre hadn't put us in that situation, we would have won if Rodgers ran the show.

There wont be any downfall to Rodgers starting this year. He will make the safe passes and manage the offense fine. Sure, he'll make some mistakes but not the same ones Favre made. Favre read the coverage and had so much coinfidence in himself he believed he could fit the ball in between three defenders into the reciever's chest. That's why we loved him.Simply rediculous the way you dissmiss Favre, just plain rediculous. Not to mention a guy who has never started a game is an improvement over a 3 time mvp that was beeing concidered for his 4th mvp JUST LAST YEAR!! If Brady didnt break multiple qb records last year, he very well may have gotten it. Unreal.
Talk about taking for granted good if not great quarterback play, you've been spoiled for way to long with one of the greatest ever leading your team for more than a decade and a half. Sheesh. Whats a guy have to do. Golly, heaven forbid he looked bad in a game or 2 last year. Time to smell the coffee.

tEk
05-09-2008, 04:25 AM
overrated
-Saints
-Cowboys
-Patriots I said it!

underrated
-49ers
-Texans
-Broncos

Caddy
05-09-2008, 04:53 AM
The Bucs aren't a 4-12/5-11 team, but I would have said that after the '05 season too. Then what happened? In '06, they fall off and have the #4 overall pick in the '07 Draft. Over the 5 seasons, the worst team in the NFC South has gone from worst to first. When that happens, sometimes first goes to worst, or at least somewhere inbetween. I'm not saying that will happen, but due to history, you can't complain when people say that - especially when your team has been the biggest part of that pattern for the past 3 seasons. Therefore, your motto of "To be the champ, you have to beat the champ," gets thrown out the window. Plus, the Bucs are old, and not many people can escape the effects of age. They were the worst division winner last year, and wouldn't have made the Playoffs if it weren't for them playing in the easiest division in football. They're not under-rated, and if anything, they're over-rated - you trying to make a case for a division winner being under-rated is complete homerism.

I agree with your overall point and also agree that the poster you quoted is certainly a homer. The Bucs are neither over-rated or under-rated in my opinion.

The Bucs are not as old as you and many other think. Other than the obvious outliers like Garcia, Galloway, Brooks and Barber, the rest of the team is relatively young.

The whole offensive line other than Petitgout (who might not even be the starter) has less than 5 years experience individually (4 are sub 3 season players) and with Penn all are sub-30. The wideouts other than Galloway who plays well below his age are relatively young as are the tight ends. The running backs also largely fit into this category.

Combine that with Ruud, Buchanon, Phillips, Jackson, June, Haye, Hovan, White, Talib and co and you have a defense which really only has Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber as starters of significant age.

abaddon41_80
05-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Overrated:
Titans - Definitely not a playoff caliber team, imo (they shouldn't have made it last year
Patriots - Still great but shouldn't be favored to win the Super Bowl anymore
Giants - I give credit where credit is due and kudos on winning the Super Bowl but this is still barely a 10-win team

Underrated:
Bills - They had a great draft and will finish at least 7-9 and second in their division
49ers - Call me a homer but I like what we did this offseason
Colts - No one ever talks about them and every year the Jags are supposed to overthrow them. They almost beat the Patriots last year with 4 important starters injured

Jughead10
05-09-2008, 07:35 AM
People can say the Giants are overrated, which is fine with me. But I just don't get the barely a 10 win team. Nothing has really changed with this team. And the schedule looks considerably easier this year. I'm not expecting Super Bowl again, but they will be a top 3 team in the NFC again.

toonsterwu
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Been busy, so never put up my draft comments, and so forth. Anyhow, instead of overrated and underrated (a bit hard to say anyone is either one of those at this point in time), I'll just go with

a) Maybe a tiny bit overhyped - I've got some concerns (random order)

1) Pittsburgh Steelers

I just don't know if Larry Zierlein can make that OL any more athletic, and thus, even if Marvel Smith is back to the player he was a couple years ago, I think they can still be exposed a bit. I also worry about their DL depth.

2) Cleveland Browns

Only one thing worries me here. But it is, IMO, a big thing. Simply put, if Jamal Lewis is down, I don't trust them to generate enough of a run game. They'll be hoping to play like the Pats circa 2001, enough run game to fit along with everything else. I've got some other concerns, but really, it's Jamal Lewis that concerns me.

3) Seattle Seahawks

Age can catch up at the most inopportune times. Maybe they stave it off for a year, but the OL should worry some. This is a team that wants to go back to a bit more power running, but does it have the tools to do it? They also lack a number 1 target. To be honest, they might be better off sticking with the spread attack from last year. Defensively, can Kerney replicate the pressure off the edge? Tapp and Jackson aren't exactly guys that will be dynamic rushers. Red Bryant might be counted on more than expected. How good that DL plays will determine a lot, because I think they can be exposed in the secondary a bit.

b) Teams that I think have a shot at surprising/doing a bit better than some may think (random order)

1) San Francisco 49ers

Martz will make that offense better. I don't care if it's JT O'Sullivan, Shaun Hill, or, in all likelihood, Alex Smith, they will be better. Add in better health and an OL that could be better. I'm not sure if Balmer is a stud, but with Balmer and Justin Smith added, the DL should be fine. The return of Manny Lawson should help create pressure off the edge.

2) Detroit Lions

Is this team going to dominate? Nah. But they should be good enough. Kevin Smith has solid vision and with a renewed run focus, along with Cherilus, they'll be better. The offensive weapons are still there. They added defensive fits. I don't think this team wins the division unless the division is mediocre (that is, if the Lions need to win, say 10+ games, I don't see it). Then again, the NFC North could be very mediocre.

3) Cincinnati Bengals

By simple virtue of health, their LB play should be better. Odom swapping with Smith is a wash, if not a Bengals win, IMO. Sims at least adds another body inside, and I think he could surprise. The young DB's should play better. Irrespective of what happens with Chad, it seems they will open up the offense a bit. Considering the decline of Rudi Johnson and the lack of another between the tackles option, this could be a great move. The OL looks solid on paper, and a spread attack could allow Carson to really pick away at other teams. They are also more versatile with Utecht.

Btw, I'm not saying any of the group A teams won't make the playoffs, or that any of the group B teams will.

I'll try to do some more comments as my schedule clears up.

GermanSaint
05-09-2008, 08:47 AM
overrated:
1. Green Bay
2. New Orleans
3. jaguars

Underrated:
1. Tenn
2. NYJ
3. eagles

strange , but i have to agree.

the saints are on a good way , since they finally make a draft with any direction of philosophy , with good playcalling i see us a 9-7 ish team , what could mean we are first or second in the south ( just a prediction )

but in no means we are a NFC favourite , we are far behind any NFC East team and probably the bucs also.

so iam just glad it came this way , i have a feeling the saints playing better without media-attention.

i also agree with the eagles being underrated , i have a strong feeling they will surprise some folks.

NY+Giants=NYG
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
People can say the Giants are overrated, which is fine with me. But I just don't get the barely a 10 win team. Nothing has really changed with this team. And the schedule looks considerably easier this year. I'm not expecting Super Bowl again, but they will be a top 3 team in the NFC again.

I find stuff like this comical in the first place.. Fact is unless someone has the NFL ticket, alot of people are not watching the other 31 teams, as well as their favorite team, yet make a definitive statement on who is over rated and who is under rated.

Big deal if we are not a 10 win team next year? Where does it say we have to? Christ, I would rather win barely 10 games, and win the superbowl than have a 14-2 year and not win. Not to mention, we been making the playoffs past 3 years anyways. We finally have coaching stability now with a DC and OC, instead of musical coordinators since Coughlin took over. If anything we finally stabilized.

tjsunstein
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Simply rediculous the way you dissmiss Favre, just plain rediculous. Not to mention a guy who has never started a game is an improvement over a 3 time mvp that was beeing concidered for his 4th mvp JUST LAST YEAR!! If Brady didnt break multiple qb records last year, he very well may have gotten it. Unreal.
Talk about taking for granted good if not great quarterback play, you've been spoiled for way to long with one of the greatest ever leading your team for more than a decade and a half. Sheesh. Whats a guy have to do. Golly, heaven forbid he looked bad in a game or 2 last year. Time to smell the coffee.

Thats not the message I was going for at all. Dont get me wrong Favre was great for us but people are making Green Bay seem to be a one man show. Without Favre we're nothing kind of thing. Im just saying that our number of wins wont drop off as drastically as people think. Ive heard anywhere from cellar dwellars to its the Vikings division to lose. Aaron Rodgers was a potential number one pick a few years back and I believe he is capable of leading this team as far as Favre did.

tjsunstein
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Overrated:
Titans - Definitely not a playoff caliber team, imo (they shouldn't have made it last year
Giants - I give credit where credit is due and kudos on winning the Super Bowl but this is still barely a 10-win team

Underrated:
Bills - They had a great draft and will finish at least 7-9 and second in their division
Colts - No one ever talks about them and every year the Jags are supposed to overthrow them. They almost beat the Patriots last year with 4 important starters injured

Titans are tweeners I think. Not to be deemed either.

The Bills on the other hand are a good underrated team, although I think they will be duking it out with the other New York team for the second spot in the division.

49ers and Cardinals have both been called "sleepers" this year but I still think that the Seahawks will take the crown in the division. I'm not sure how the NFC wild card race is going to play out because its almost a gurantee that one will be from the NFC East and everyone thinks its the Vikings time. Im rooting for one of the NFC West teams to make it.

Football Fan
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Thats not the message I was going for at all. Dont get me wrong Favre was great for us but people are making Green Bay seem to be a one man show. Without Favre we're nothing kind of thing. Im just saying that our number of wins wont drop off as drastically as people think. Ive heard anywhere from cellar dwellars to its the Vikings division to lose. Aaron Rodgers was a potential number one pick a few years back and I believe he is capable of leading this team as far as Favre did.
Well I do think it is a definate plus to have a first round pick with 3 years of training waiting to take over, its the right way to groom a quarterback. However, the success rate in the nfl for new starting QBs is lousy and Rodgers injury history in his relatively minor roll on the team over the last 3 years is scary.
Its just that I dont think it would be very shocking at all to see the packers drop back 5 games with the loss of Favre. A lot of the things he did for the team with his veteran skills and ability have flown under the radar and are basically taken for granted, especially for people that have been watching every game he has played for the last sixteen years. Great QB play has just been expected week after week.

Geo
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
A note on the Seahawks and their OL, a quiet move they made in the offseason was hiring Mike Solari as their new OL coach. Solari came from Kansas City, where we know he wasn't a good offensive coordinator recently, but he did a fine job as OL coach before that for many years when that was the backbone of a potent offense.

Should be interesting to see what he does with the Seahawks OL.

SuperMcGee
05-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Underrated:

After two straight 7-9 seasons, I don't think seeing us at 7-9 makes us either underrated or overrated. Even if Buffalo is seen as a punchline by too many people, predicted continued mediocrity does not equate to underrated for me.
I can't comment on the Bills outlook this year. Edwards is a pretty huge factor in our season (derp), and I just don't know what to expect.

tjsunstein
05-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Well I do think it is a definate plus to have a first round pick with 3 years of training waiting to take over, its the right way to groom a quarterback. However, the success rate in the nfl for new starting QBs is lousy and Rodgers injury history in his relatively minor roll on the team over the last 3 years is scary.
Its just that I dont think it would be very shocking at all to see the packers drop back 5 games with the loss of Favre. A lot of the things he did for the team with his veteran skills and ability have flown under the radar and are basically taken for granted, especially for people that have been watching every game he has played for the last sixteen years. Great QB play has just been expected week after week.

I'm just hoping that pattern tends to miss Rodgers and I truely believe he will be comfortable after Week 3. Bad Luck I guess with the injuries but it will be interesting for sure seeing what he does this season, my homer-ism leads me to believe we will remain division champs after this year but an opinion from a non Packer fan is great, as well as refreshing, and always interesting to see an outsider's take on the situation.

05-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I had a hunch there would be more than a few who would factor the Raiders in as being 'overrated'. I dont know what we've done recently to give us this claim.

Geo
05-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Funny coincidence re: the Raiders, in terms of the Draft, I noticed:

1998 Colts 1st overall pick- QB Peyton Manning, 3-13 record that season
1999 Colts 4th overall pick- RB Edgerrin James, 13-3 record that season

2007 Raiders 1st overall pick- QB Jamarcus Russell, 4-12 record that season
2008 Raiders 4th overall pick- RB Darren McFadden, ??? record this season

I don't see how the Raiders are overrated, no one is expecting them to make the playoffs but they are better than before. Maybe underrated, if anything.

jetsfan0099
05-09-2008, 06:45 PM
How are the Bills underrated?? They are overrated by people, they are a decent team but it seems like everyone says their underrated, if everyone thinks they are underrated that means they are notice and are expected to be better then what people thought but people already think they are underrated which makes the overrated.
The Bills got beat by a total of 94-17 by the Pats in their 2 match ups, the Bills only were able to barely beat the Jets 2 times and the Dolphins 2 times which is 4 wins, then their other wins came from the Horrible Bengals, Ravens, Redskins the only decent team win. They played horrible teams with their wins, and got destroyed by good teams. They are overrated!!!

How are the Jets overrated??? No one says they are going to be great, or no one expects them to be in the playoffs, they are underrated IMO. They have some good players on defense even before the new additions, we had David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Kerry Rhodes all young and all franchise studs on defense. Now we added what we needed which is a true NT and a pass rushing OLB and we got that with Gholston.
Calvin Pace was signed because Mangini thinks he is like Mo Lewis, in the sense that he is big and fast and athletic. He thinks he is going to be the cover LB and the guy that moves around and plays like ILB, Strong side LB and ****, while Gholston is the pass rusher with Bryan Thomas.
Our HC is good IMO, the 2nd best HC in the division definitely.
The Jets ran a 3-4 with Cover 2 players. We had a 310 pound DT playing NT, now we add a 350 pound NT. And David Harris is a complete monster, and is perfect for our scheme. And Rhodes and Revis are the playmakers in the back who are only getting better.
Our OL is much improved, our run game should be good, and Keller gives us that weapon that we need.

The underrated part is that I think Kellen Clemens is going to surprise everyone this year, he had nothing last year and was getting beat up, he played great in some games. But was worn down by continuously being hit. He will be the starter, not Chad, Chad has been inconsistent since his Shoulder injury.
Clemens is a leader, has a strong arm, is smart, and is in his 3rd year in the system with a improved OL, healthy Coles and Cotchery, and a new weapon in Keller.

MetSox17
05-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Funny coincidence re: the Raiders, in terms of the Draft, I noticed:

1998 Colts 1st overall pick- QB Peyton Manning, 3-13 record that season
1999 Colts 4th overall pick- RB Edgerrin James, 13-3 record that season

2007 Raiders 1st overall pick- QB Jamarcus Russell, 4-12 record that season
2008 Raiders 4th overall pick- RB Darren McFadden, ??? record this season

I don't see how the Raiders are overrated, no one is expecting them to make the playoffs but they are better than before. Maybe underrated, if anything.

The only problem i see with that is the inferred scenario that the Raiders might be a 12-4 team lol.

Oh yeah, and the fact that JaMarcus Russell hardly played this year.

SuperMcGee
05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
beat the Jets 2 times and the Dolphins 2 times which is 4 wins, then their other wins came from the Horrible Bengals, Ravens, Redskins the only decent team win. They played horrible teams with their wins, and got destroyed by good teams. They are overrated!!!

Why are you so intent on downing the Bills? Are the Bills not young? Did they not add players, as well? Did they not clearly do better than New York last season? Were we not the most injured team in the league last year? I don't care if you think the Jets will be better than the Bills, we're not that good, but I'm not sure what kind of argument you're trying to make here.

Those horrible Bengals, Ravens, and Redskins are all teams that beat the Jets last year, so whatever. And getting swept by those overrated Bills is just terrible. Why even bring up quality of wins when your team managed to beat the Dolphins x2, and the Chiefs in what was probably the worst game of the season. Nice Pittsburgh win. 7 is still > 4, and surely 2 > 0.
Congrats on only losing by 10 to your rival Pats in ridiculous wind while only being able to score off a blocked punt. You also got killed by them besides that. We almost beat a good team, too. Whoopdy doo.
At least we consistently won the games we should've won, and nearly pulled off some we shouldn't have. It's a start, and you'd have a hard time making a case saying we got worse during the offseason.

Football Fan
05-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I'm just hoping that pattern tends to miss Rodgers and I truely believe he will be comfortable after Week 3. Bad Luck I guess with the injuries but it will be interesting for sure seeing what he does this season, my homer-ism leads me to believe we will remain division champs after this year but an opinion from a non Packer fan is great, as well as refreshing, and always interesting to see an outsider's take on the situation.Fact is, Im not an outsider. Ive been a packer fan my whole life, live in wisconsin and have posted in the packer team forum on and off for the last 2.5 years. Im also one of those people that has seen damn near every game Favre has played for the last 16 yrs. Not to mention Don Majkowski, Anthony Dilwig, Randy Wright, T.J. Boobly etc.. I even watched a good portion of lynn Dickey's games, though I was pretty young then and basically all I remember about him is that he was pretty good and had many, many injuries. I was 7 years old when he started in greenbay and 15 yrs. old when Dickey retired. (god im getting old)
I just sound like an outsider, because I try to look at there situation from an unbiased perspective. It comes off as negative to often, but I support the team 100%.

RaiderFan
05-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Actually Sapp was horrible against the run last year.He isnt that much of a loss.Burgess is our LDE.Jay Richardson is our RDE and is pretty good against the run.

Exactly
losing sapp was a Upgrade for the Raiders he was horrible against the run. People think its a big loss because he was Hall of Famer and a good leader, but he had no business starting last year.
Sapp was horrible in 07, but Raider fans won't clown him because we still have love for him. Maybe he could have stuck around as a 3rd down pass rusher.

tom
05-10-2008, 02:03 AM
underrated, the steelers....

we lose games every season so the fans can enjoy football... if we wanted to, we'd be 19-0 24-7

Dam8610
05-10-2008, 02:15 AM
overrated
-Patriots I said it!

Way to state the obvious.

jetsfan0099
05-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Why are you so intent on downing the Bills? Are the Bills not young? Did they not add players, as well? Did they not clearly do better than New York last season? Were we not the most injured team in the league last year? I don't care if you think the Jets will be better than the Bills, we're not that good, but I'm not sure what kind of argument you're trying to make here.

Those horrible Bengals, Ravens, and Redskins are all teams that beat the Jets last year, so whatever. And getting swept by those overrated Bills is just terrible. Why even bring up quality of wins when your team managed to beat the Dolphins x2, and the Chiefs in what was probably the worst game of the season. Nice Pittsburgh win. 7 is still > 4, and surely 2 > 0.
Congrats on only losing by 10 to your rival Pats in ridiculous wind while only being able to score off a blocked punt. You also got killed by them besides that. We almost beat a good team, too. Whoopdy doo.
At least we consistently won the games we should've won, and nearly pulled off some we shouldn't have. It's a start, and you'd have a hard time making a case saying we got worse during the offseason.

I never said the Bills are a horrible team, I said they are overrated. And who the hell was injured for the Bills?? I just know of Ko Simpson and Paul Puz?
And yea hell with the Ravens, Bengals, Redskins that should of been games that we won, but things never went our way last year, against the Bengals we were winning big then Pennington choked with INTs, just like he did against the Giants when we were beating them, and he was horrible against the Bills. But we played the Bills close it was only like 1 big play games. The way the Bills beat us it doesn't make them clearly better, just means they had more plays go there way last year. We never got destroyed like the Pats did against good teams, well only 2 times we got our asses kicked, the Cowboys and Pats 1 time.
I just don't like how everyone says they are underrated, they are not, by everyone thinking that it makes them overrated. Having the #30th ranked offense and the 31st ranked defense doesn't mean you are underrated, it means you are overrated. IMO the Bills will take a step back this season watch it happen.Like I said they didn't beat anyone good last year only the Redskins were the only average team they beat. Bengals and Ravens were horrible when the Bills faced them, and the Ravens actually were good when we played them, that was before their injuries.
And we should of won that game, if only our WR McDroppins would of held on to the ball for the TD.
I can name so many games where we could of easily won, but we never had plays go our way, and always effed up in the end. I think it will be different this year with the added talent.

jetsfan0099
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
You all are just jealous, because we have the secret weapon next year. http://youtube.com/watch?v=wFidT2COgkQ lol Hes a beast and should explode, 5.0 average with our OL last year.

Or how bout this beast?? http://youtube.com/watch?v=WO-vS7o0PEs

Sniper
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
People can say the Giants are overrated, which is fine with me.

Dude if I were a Giants fan and someone said that to me, I'd tell them to **** off. You know I hate the Giants, but your "overrated" team won three straight road playoff games to get to the Super Bowl and then beat the greatest regular season team and best offensive team ever while holding them to 14 points. Who cares who thinks you're overrated? I'd rather be "overrated" with a ring than underrated without one.

kmartin575
05-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Overrated:

The NFL is a QB/schedule league where the schedule gives 7 or 8 new teams a year a reasonable chance to make the playoffs and a franchise QB practically guarantees the teams they play for an opportunity to make the playoffs every year.

So when I look at the playoff teams that made the playoffs last year who lacks a true franchise QB, I can see that Green Bay, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Washington are almost assured of not making the playoffs this coming season.

Green Bay - Obviously a tough situation with Favre retiring.
Jacksonville - I just don't think Garrard is good enough to put a guarantee beside Jacksonville's team. They will get a serious challenge from Houston.
Tampa Bay - Simply not good enough to make it 2 years in a row.
Washington - Team was built by Gibbs to suit his style and his retirement will be felt.

Underrated:

Houston - Not special at QB but an improving team that will challenge Jacksonville for the #2 spot.
Cleveland - could go either direction but if Anderson is the real deal, they will be a very tough team.
Cincinnati has Palmer and that makes them dangerous but is Lewis the HC who can get the job done.
New York - Everybody loves Buffalo but Edwards is only in his 2nd year and may be a year away. If Pennington can stay healthy the Jets have a shot. They are a young team but Clemens isn't the answer.
Arizona - Everything is in place for a quantum leap forward if Leinart is ready to produce.
Minnesota - Can AD stay healthy, that has always been his problem? Will Jackson continue to grow? We'll have to see, but if both happen, then they'll be in the playoffs.
New Orleans - This team could take the next step and begin to dominate the NFC South. Defense should be improved after a great trade up to get Ellis and they should rank among the better teams in the NFC.
Philadelphia - It all starts and ends with McNabb. If he can stay healthy, they are as good as anyone but that is a big if.

The Pats and Indy's of the world don't have Kwame Harris at left tackle. Oakland will never be in that category, not as long as Al Davis is alive.

kmartin575
05-10-2008, 01:48 PM
This is a load of ********. I'm still amazed that people like to use this argument.
Oakland had the 6th best rushing attack in the NFL last year.The oline was one that was responsible for this.Lamont Jordan,Justin Fargas,and Dominic Rhodes were all able to rush for 100 in a game more than once.
As far as pass protection goes we went from allowing over 70 sacks in 06 to allowing 40 sacks in 07.Cable almost cut the # of sacks in half in just one year.This will be the second season in a while that our oline has kept the same system and the same coach.They will continue to improve.

What a load of bullcrap. Only a Raider fan can think an offensive line with Kwame Harris at left tackle will be better. LMAO. You guys are good for a good chuckle.

AllanO444
05-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Overrated:

Underrated:

How does that make the Titans overrated? You could call them overachievers, because most people in the league think they aren't a playoff team even though they made the playoffs but no one rates the Titans that high anyways.

tjsunstein
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Raiders fans have reason to be optimistic. They had a very good offseason. I wont be surprised at all if they go 6-10. Javon Walker, DeAngelo Hall, Darren McFadden, Gibril Wilson. Give me a reason as to why they wont improve. They now have one of the best Running attacks and best secondaries in the game. Sure they may need a tackle but that one weakness wont keep them at 3-13. not to mention they play the NFC South. They should atleast split 2-2 in that division, and the AFC East, Maybe 3-1 in that division. They will vastly improve.

kmartin575
05-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Raiders fans have reason to be optimistic. They had a very good offseason. I wont be surprised at all if they go 6-10. Javon Walker, DeAngelo Hall, Darren McFadden, Gibril Wilson. Give me a reason as to why they wont improve. They now have one of the best Running attacks and best secondaries in the game. Sure they may need a tackle but that one weakness wont keep them at 3-13. not to mention they play the NFC South. They should atleast split 2-2 in that division, and the AFC East, Maybe 3-1 in that division. They will vastly improve.

Tackle is far from their only weakness. How about defensive tackle? The Raiders gave up a league worst 4.8 ypc last year. Gibril Wilson is solid against the run but that is just about the only improvement they have made in that department. I don't care how good their secondary is because they won't be able to stop the run so teams really won't have to run on them much. Morrison and Howard might be great in coverage but so was Cato June for the Colts but he couldn't tackle. Games are won and lost in the trenches and their offensive and defensive lines are horrible.

niel89
05-11-2008, 01:01 AM
i think that the raiders are getting overrated. i think they are getting better but i don think that they are near being a playoff team.

Dam8610
05-11-2008, 02:47 AM

6-10 is optimistic? That's only 2 more wins than they've averaged over the last 5 or so years.

PACKmanN
05-11-2008, 04:29 AM

I must have missed the entire season the Raiders had because If I'm not mistaken they couldn't stop the run to allow them to win a game. I don't care who they have on offense because if they can't stop the run then they won't have to the time to utilize their offense.

BTW, I thought teams were built in the trenches, role players are good to have but if the role players do not have the time or room to preform then good luck.

RaiderFan
05-11-2008, 05:32 AM
They Raiders are Addressing the Run defense.
You also should know the Oakland is a Factory for producing Defensive lineman:
Tommy Kelly
Rod Coleman
Kenyon Coleman
Laroi Glover
Grady Jackson
Turdell Sands
Were all Undrafted Free agents that Oakland Discovered. Scouting Lineman is one strengths of the Raiders. The problem is we don't keep them sorta like the Broncos with Running Backs.

We picked up
Edgerton Hartwell- Good Run Stopper injury concerns but a lighter load at SLB should allow him to be productive
William Joseph- Talented but is a unknown
Turdell Sands- Had numerous deaths in his family and was unfocused showed how effective he could be in 06.
Warren sapp- the Worst defensive lineman last year, retired
Tommy kelly- Was having a great season before being injured and will return
Jay Richardson- Highly Productive for a 5th Round Rookie Flashed great ability and remember he was a rookie
We Drafted
Trevor Scott- not a big name but high production from a small school
So the Starting line is probably
Burgess, Sands , Kelly, Richardson with a decent Rotation of Joseph,Edwards,and who ever emerges in Camp. With all the new secondary help we can get creative.

On the offensive line you have to Realize Tom Cable is the Coach so we don't need big name lineman only those that fit the scheme. The way the offensive line improved was a miracle.
Barry simms LT- He played out of position and was a penalty machine the weakest link on the line he is gone.

Kwame Harris- I know he has a Bad rep but you have to consider he had 3 different offensive line coaches in 3 years. Cable was the O-line coach when he was originally drafted. And his best year was under cable in San Fransico now they are reunited. It may blow up in are face but is still a upgrade over Barry sims

Jeremy Newberry- was aging, a decent player- Replaced

Robert Gallery- A break out year only allowing one sack and was a Devastating run blocker should improve also. The reason he should improve is because he like Harris had 3 different line Coaches in 4 years.

Cooper Carlisle- More than serviceable RG Above average in pass protection and run blocking.

Marion Henderson RT- Was drafted last year and Red shirted learned the offense and improved strength should Contribute.

So the offensive line is
Harris, Gallery, Wade, Carlisle,Henderson. You may say who? Just like me but cable seems to think they can get the job done.

And while i agree they probably won't won't set the world on fire they are far less of liability than people make them out to be. There will be time for Russell to throw and there will be holes for the RB's to run threw. And on defense all the coaches are aware of the Run defense problem and it has been and will continue to be addressed. Remember June 1st cuts?

jetsfan0099
05-11-2008, 08:04 AM
First off buddy, those aren't all undrafted FA pickups, some were drafted. 2nd off, don't try and take credit for the team scouting some players, because they letted them go right away so obviously they don't realize talent in front of them. And 2nd off Sands and Kelly aren't that good, Sands is horrible, hes just big, but he has horrible tech and is easy to take out of a play.
Kelly is overrated by the money the Raiders gave him.

tjsunstein
05-11-2008, 12:29 PM
6-10 is optimistic? That's only 2 more wins than they've averaged over the last 5 or so years.

And thats improvement right? Giving them reason to be optimistic. Some teams don't just go from worst to first.

Jakey
05-11-2008, 12:49 PM
The Steelers are rated about right IMO...BUT...there offense is slightly underrated.

They have a top 5 QB in the league (IMO), Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing before his injury, LT Marvel Smith has had surjery and feels batter than ever, Santonio Holmes had a rediculous YPC average, Hines is still solid, Heath Miller is a great all round TE (IMO).

Then you add into the mix; Rashard Mendenhall who was Mayocks top rated RB, and a perfect fit for the Steelers offense...and Limas Sweed who was rated by many as the best WR in the class.

While the Steelers are obviously known for thier defence...i think sometimes people overlook how solid our offence is. Watch out for it next year! :)

*My most homerish post ever* :D

jetsfan0099
05-11-2008, 01:06 PM
The Steelers are rated about right IMO...BUT...there offense is slightly underrated.

They have a top 5 QB in the league (IMO), Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing before his injury, LT Marvel Smith has had surjery and feels batter than ever, Santonio Holmes had a rediculous YPC average, Hines is still solid, Heath Miller is a great all round TE (IMO).

Then you add into the mix; Rashard Mendenhall who was Mayocks top rated RB, and a perfect fit for the Steelers offense...and Limas Sweed who was rated by many as the best WR in the class.

While the Steelers are obviously known for thier defence...i think sometimes people overlook how solid our offence is. Watch out for it next year! :)

*My most homerish post ever* :D

I think the Steelers will be good, but I have to question that OL, they did lose their best linemen in Alan Faneca, and their OL just isn't impressive at all. I thought they were going to get a guy linemen 1st round or 2nd, but will see.

Geo
05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing before his injury
And he was also leading the league in rushing attempts, still finishing third (321 att) despite having an injury-shortened season.

Honestly, I don't understand why Steelers fans talk up Willie Parker like the guy is anything. He's not, he's JAG. Even homer glasses can't tint reality that much. Parker can't hold Mendenhall's jock, the Steelers just got the best back they've had since Bettis in his prime.

Parker will be a more servicable change of pace guy, maybe a third down back if he can catch and block well enough, to attack worn down defenses thanks to Mendenhall.