PDA

View Full Version : Clayton Article on LTs

RagingColt
05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3385095

Good article on the new left tacles that have been drafted this year and last year. Mentions Ugoh and Glenn. According to Clayton, Ugoh would rate higher on the Colts board than Long in this years draft. Colts are paying Ugoh $812,000 this year according to Indystar which is a steal imo. Long is being payed over $57 million with $30 million guaranteed over five years while Ugoh's contract for four years is worth $3.91 million.

d34ng3l021
05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
What?! Baker is more of a fit for a run blocking scheme? What complete bs.

Ugoh is a stud. He was a steal for you guys in the 2nd. How long were his arms? I hope Baker can turn out like him.

Geo
05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Very interesting article. Definitely, left tackle has become an important part of the Draft, partly because (not sure if Clayton noted this) teams aren't letting them reach free agency. The ones that do are either old, injured, awful, or a combination of those three - see Luke Petigout, Wayne Gandy, and Kwame Harris. The Cowboys gave vet Flozell Adams big money to stay even, despite the other extensions they have to make in the next two years. Had Tarik Glenn not retired, he would have cashed in huge this summer.

But back to the article ... I don't buy Ugoh being ranked higher than Jake Long, it's easy to say that now knowing Ugoh rocks, but looking at them as prospects is differently. And I'm of the camp that firmly believes Long can get the job done at LT. For whatever reason, Ugoh wasn't ranked too highly in 07, somewhere around 40th best prospect.

Indeed he rocks though. And to answer d34's question, Ugoh has ridiculously long arms, 36". He's very athletic, which is probably what made him the first round prospect the Colts graded him as, he really is almost a bigger tight end. <3 DANCING BEAR

To me, it's already considered that the team will have to keep him long-term once his rookie deal is up through 2010. He's going to Po Bowls with Joe Thomas for the next couple of years imo.

indyfan1985
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah I cannot wait to see how G/C Mike Pollak does and how much better he makes the Colts OL. I have great confidence in our OL this year and we could have the protection Brady had last year during the regular season with...

LT Tony Ugoh, LG Ryan Lilja, C Jeff Saturday, RG Mike Pollak, RT Ryan Diem

no love
05-08-2008, 05:27 PM
But back to the article ... I don't buy Ugoh being ranked higher than Jake Long, it's easy to say that now knowing Ugoh rocks, but looking at them as prospects is differently. And I'm of the camp that firmly believes Long can get the job done at LT. For whatever reason, Ugoh wasn't ranked too highly in 07, somewhere around 40th best prospect.

Indeed he rocks though. And to answer d34's question, Ugoh has ridiculously long arms, 36". He's very athletic, which is probably what made him the first round prospect the Colts graded him as, he really is almost a bigger tight end. <3 DANCING BEAR.

It is really amazing that Ugoh was picked where he was. But that does show how athletic his class of LT's was. Ugoh actually put up the least impressive numbers of the top three LT's.

As good of a prospect as Long is, he might not have the upside of Thomas, Staley or Ugoh.

Dam8610
05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah I cannot wait to see how G/C Mike Pollak does and how much better he makes the Colts OL. I have great confidence in our OL this year and we could have the protection Brady had last year during the regular season with...

LT Tony Ugoh, LG Ryan Lilja, C Jeff Saturday, RG Mike Pollak, RT Ryan Diem

Maybe if Diem returns to form, he was the weak link last year.

Geo
05-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I hope it was just injuries and not him declining, but Diem deserves 2008 to see if he can bounce back. He's not signed to some cheap rookie contract, and his base salaries only go up from here.

But I definitely agree with the feeling that the best Colts OL is yet to come. Better than the overrated lines of the past few years, the new one that could be up by 2009 or 2010 will be great and capable in both the passing and the running game.

Dam8610
05-10-2008, 02:00 AM
But I definitely agree with the feeling that the best Colts OL is yet to come. Better than the overrated lines of the past few years, the new one that could be up by 2009 or 2010 will be great and capable in both the passing and the running game.

Overrated? IMO the 03-06 lines were some of the best at the very least of the decade.

Geo
05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
I agree that they were among the best, but to call them the best as some outsiders did, is overrating them.

7-11
09-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Reading through this makes me sad.

Geo
09-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Where has my dancing bear gone? :(

The best Colts OL yet is not to come for a while, unfortunately. If ever.

Trying to find a left tackle as good as Tarik Glenn in the second half of his career, a center equal to Jeff Saturday in his prime, and so on - that will not be easy, to say the least.

But the current unit is good, maybe even very good if everyone can stay healthy. Pollak and Charlie J are only getting better. Just need Charlie not to blow in passing and Ryan Diem not to blow it in running. Saturday helps get the offense going, and thankfully Ryan Lilja is back. His absence was immense last season.

killxswitch
09-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Johnson was better than expected. We'll see how he does vs. the Mario Williams of the NFL. My guess is that he'll need help, but not many LTs can handle a guy like that one-on-one.

Seamus2602
09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't think he'll need a significant amount of help against Mario Williams. Charlie Johnson's biggest weakness is that he doesn't have the ability to keep out the elite speed guys. For a man his size Mario Williams is scary fast but he is still slower than many guys out there. Johnson does very well against the Bull Rush. Ugoh can keep out the elite speed guys but does badly against the Bull Rush. Ugoh would do very well against the likes of John Abraham but not against the likes of Jared Allen, while Johnson would do quite well against Allen but be destroyed against the likes of Abraham. It's the DEs with top notch speed that Johnson will struggle with.

killxswitch
09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think he'll need a significant amount of help against Mario Williams. Charlie Johnson's biggest weakness is that he doesn't have the ability to keep out the elite speed guys. For a man his size Mario Williams is scary fast but he is still slower than many guys out there. Johnson does very well against the Bull Rush. Ugoh can keep out the elite speed guys but does badly against the Bull Rush. Ugoh would do very well against the likes of John Abraham but not against the likes of Jared Allen, while Johnson would do quite well against Allen but be destroyed against the likes of Abraham. It's the DEs with top notch speed that Johnson will struggle with.

Makes you wonder if Ugoh will get time against those guys. I do think he needed to improve on his play, but I think all the criticism just got in his head. That's all I can figure, he wasn't THAT bad last year, and played well as a rookie. But he looked absolutely horrible in pre-season, sometimes against scrubs.