PDA

View Full Version : THE Ohio State 2008 Thread

AtariBigby
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Beanie Wells: Heisman Trophy winner?

Question for all you true Buckeye fans who've been around for awhile:
Compare AJ Hawk to James Laurinaitis for me.
Who was better there, and who will be the better NFL LB?

Remember AJ was taken #5 overall and nobody ripped the pick at all.

lordquas
05-09-2008, 05:30 AM
screw ohio state sucka

YAYareaRB
05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
AJ Hawk poos on James Laurenaitis as a player, linebacker, and prospect.

Hwoarang
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Does every College team get a thread? Or just teams that suck against the SEC?

bored of education
05-09-2008, 11:26 AM
The Buckeyes will be better this year than last.

keylime_5
05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
James isn't as physical or hard of a hitter as AJ. He might be more athletic though, tough call. AJ was definitely a better pro prospect, but James could be taken just as high.

YAYareaRB
05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
James isn't as physical or hard of a hitter as AJ. He might be more athletic though, tough call. AJ was definitely a better pro prospect, but James could be taken just as high.

James more Athletic? Didn't AJ run a 4.5 and a 3.9 shuttle?

Turtlepower
05-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I think every college team could get a thread, but it probably should be moved into the Cleveland Browns Team Forum.

Hwoarang
05-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I hate OSU but Beanie is the truth.

Sniper
05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I hate OSU but Beanie is the truth.

My thoughts exactly.

BrownsTown
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Loss at USC, and I'll say another one in a bowl or a surprise game (possibilities are at Wisconsin, or Purdue), so 11-2 with best case 13-0 national champions. It'll really depend on that at USC game.

srv fan
05-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Comparing Laurinaitis to Hawk is an insult to Hawk. Laurinaitis is definately a nice player, but Hawk is one of the best college defenders I've ever seen. Bigger, faster, better play recognition, harder hitter, better field general. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean the vomit off my keyboard from praising a Buckeye.

Sniper
05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Comparing Laurinaitis to Hawk is an insult to Hawk. Laurinaitis is definately a nice player, but Hawk is one of the best college defenders I've ever seen. Bigger, faster, better play recognition, harder hitter, better field general. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean the vomit off my keyboard from praising a Buckeye.

It pains me to say when OSU players are good, but some of them are legit. I really feel as if Laurinaitis is overrated and as you said, isn't even in the same breath as A.J Hawk. On the same token, Chris Wells is a badass and Malcolm Jenkins is a top 3 corner in the country next year.

keylime_5
05-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Comparing Laurinaitis to Hawk is an insult to Hawk. Laurinaitis is definately a nice player, but Hawk is one of the best college defenders I've ever seen. Bigger, faster, better play recognition, harder hitter, better field general.
yeah, that about sums it up. I don't think anyone doubts that AJ was definitely a better player.

YAYareaRB
05-10-2008, 01:46 PM
yeah, that about sums it up. I don't think anyone doubts that AJ was definitely a better player.

How does Robiskie stack up against past OSU WRs, in your opinion?

keylime_5
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Eh, he's still a notch below Galloway, Carter, Jenkins, Holmes, Ginn, Glenn, Gonzalez, and Boston but he is still one of our good #1 WRs we've had here. I think he'll approach 1000 yards again this year in our offense which will be more explosive with all the returning starters and the probably emergence of Taurian Washington, Dane Sanzenbacher, Ray Small, and/or some of the freshman as alternate options to the 2 Brians at WR.

princefielder28
05-10-2008, 04:04 PM
How does Robiskie stack up against past OSU WRs, in your opinion?

I'm gonna compare Robiskie to a NFL player : DJ Hackett

Sniper
05-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Eh, he's still a notch below Galloway, Carter, Jenkins, Holmes, Ginn, Glenn, Gonzalez, and Boston but he is still one of our good #1 WRs we've had here. I think he'll approach 1000 yards again this year in our offense which will be more explosive with all the returning starters and the probably emergence of Taurian Washington, Dane Sanzenbacher, Ray Small, and/or some of the freshman as alternate options to the 2 Brians at WR.

He's a significantly better pro prospect than Ginn was.

Michigan
05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
He's a significantly better pro prospect than Ginn was.

No he isn't. Whether you liked him or not, Ginn possessed gamechanging ability and had many comparing him to a faster Devin Hester. He didn't deserve to go top 10, but he was certainly a first round value. I can't say the same about Robiskie.

OhioState
05-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Robo is a real good possesion reciever. He will almost always make the catch but he doesn't have top end speed. He is definitely not as good a prospect as TG but i like him alot anyways. I really want to see if Boeckman can get him the ball more cuz he is a way better playmaker than Hartline.

Laurinaitas is not as good as Hawk but i would argue that they are different types of backers. James isn't the hitter or as strong or fast as AJ but he does have good instincts ( most of the time) and he can blitz the QB very well

Sniper
05-10-2008, 10:42 PM
No he isn't. Whether you liked him or not, Ginn possessed gamechanging ability and had many comparing him to a faster Devin Hester. He didn't deserve to go top 10, but he was certainly a first round value. I can't say the same about Robiskie.

Let me rephrase that. Robiskie's style of play is better suited for the NFL than Ginn's style of play is. While Ginn may have world-class speed, Robiskie is a better wide receiver in terms of route running, hands, blocking, awareness as a WR etc...

Statistically speaking, Robiskie was a better deep threat than Ginn was.

Hwoarang
05-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Robo is a real good possesion reciever. He will almost always make the catch but he doesn't have top end speed. He is definitely not as good a prospect as TG but i like him alot anyways.
What? Robiskie is a way better WR prospect than TG. Ginn had marginal route running and average hands. Realistically Devin Hester got Ginn drafted in the top 10. He was a late 20's pick period.

Let me rephrase that. Robiskie's style of play is better suited for the NFL than Ginn's style of play is. While Ginn may have world-class speed, Robiskie is a better wide receiver in terms of route running, hands, blocking, awareness as a WR etc...

Statistically speaking, Robiskie was a better deep threat than Ginn was.QFT.

FLORIDA PACKER
05-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm gonna compare Robiskie to a NFL player : DJ Hackett

Thats a pretty solid comparison, I think Robo may have the edge on speed but other than that very similar players.

Buckeyes will have a chance to go undefeated this year, it all (as was stated earlier) depends on the USC game, they win that one they can run the tables. If they lose it could be a long season.

YAYareaRB
05-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Since we're all in the mood in comparing current players to past players, how does Alex Boone stack up against past OSU lineman? He's definitely one of my favorites OL prospects coming into the season.

keylime_5
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Statistically speaking, Robiskie was a better deep threat than Ginn was.

That's what I mean when I say your stat arguments are futile. Stats can be very misleading considering we had Ginn and Gonzalez on the same team and Robiskie was basically the only option down the field we had all last year and he was ineffective down the field against better DBs like Purdue, Michigan, and Illinois and LSU had. Ginn went deep on good corners all the time - Godfrey, Porter, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross to name a few.

Sniper
05-11-2008, 03:05 PM
That's what I mean when I say your stat arguments are futile. Stats can be very misleading considering we had Ginn and Gonzalez on the same team and Robiskie was basically the only option down the field we had all last year and he was ineffective down the field against better DBs like Purdue, Michigan, and Illinois and LSU had. Ginn went deep on good corners all the time - Godfrey, Porter, Leon Hall, Aaron Ross to name a few.

That doesn't mean that Robiskie isn't consistently a better deep threat. He averaged 17 yards per catch. I don't care how you get to the 17 ypc, I just know it's way more than Ginn averaged.

srv fan
05-11-2008, 05:09 PM

I'd like a Buckeye response to this- I feel that Laurinaitis is one of the more overrated players in the country. From watching him play, he seems to take a lot of chances in terms of trying to make the big play, rather than the safe one. He has pretty good instincts, but gets away with poor positioning and play recognition because of the amount of talent he's been surrounded with his entire playing career. Essentially, I think that as a benefit of playing alongside Hawk, Carpenter, Gholston, Freeman, Schlegel, et al, he is free to play much riskier than virtually any other LB in the country. Removed from that cushion, I don't think he's more than above-average LB. I personally felt he was around the 4th best defender on your team last year, even lower the previous year, and in general is not nearly as good as his press clippings would indicate. Still a nice player, but overrated in the sense that there are many, many LB who could look good when surrounded by a consistently sick front 7.

Sniper
05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I'd like a Buckeye response to this- I feel that Laurinaitis is one of the more overrated players in the country. From watching him play, he seems to take a lot of chances in terms of trying to make the big play, rather than the safe one. He has pretty good instincts, but gets away with poor positioning and play recognition because of the amount of talent he's been surrounded with his entire playing career. Essentially, I think that as a benefit of playing alongside Hawk, Carpenter, Gholston, Freeman, Schlegel, et al, he is free to play much riskier than virtually any other LB in the country. Removed from that cushion, I don't think he's more than above-average LB. I personally felt he was around the 4th best defender on your team last year, even lower the previous year, and in general is not nearly as good as his press clippings would indicate. Still a nice player, but overrated in the sense that there are many, many LB who could look good when surrounded by a consistently sick front 7.

I feel the same way. (Yes, I'm also a UM fan) But I really feel as if he's a product of the system and who's around him. He gets a lot of hype but for what really? A couple gift INTs from McCoy and Locker and that's about it. He doesn't stand out as much as someone with so much hype should

Menardo75
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Either way if they face an SEC team in a bowl game they go down so....

Sniper
05-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Ok, so what happens if they don't play an SEC team (which is a more likely scenario)?

Michigan
05-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Heh, I guess I'll be the third Michigan fan to call Laurinaitis overrated in this thread. The guy takes too many bad angles and seems to disappear for long stretches at a time. He's not half the prospect Hawk was. Hawk was a player I legitimately had to worry about because of his playmaking ability, especially in the clutch -- Laurinaitis (up till now) seems like just another guy.

Anyways, I think OSU will go 11-1 or 10-2 this year. USC is a toss up for me, and Wisconsin, PSU, and Michigan are always tough games. I think the winner of the OSU/USC game will go on to the NC. I just hope OSU can pull through this time if it's against an SEC opponent.

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 05:24 PM
That doesn't mean that Robiskie isn't consistently a better deep threat. He averaged 17 yards per catch. I don't care how you get to the 17 ypc, I just know it's way more than Ginn averaged.

And Ginn ran the slant and screen routes about twice as much as Robiskie. Robo was a downfield guy who made a lot of catches at the sidelines. Ginn was definitely a superior deep threat to Robo or Hartline or anyone we had last season. We used Robo in that role last year b/c we didn't have anyone else, and it worked sometimes but against the better DBs he couldn't get the downfield seperation. If Ray Small or Taurian Washington can fill that role this year then Robiskie can go back to doing what he does best which is run the routes and make the spectacular catches near the sidelines instead of being forced to try and make plays downfield.

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
And regarding James, while he's not AJ Hawk he was clearly our most consistently best defensive player on the field not only last year but in 2006 also. He has his flaws that keep him from being Spielman, Hawk, or Katzenmoyer good, but he was certainly a first team all american linebacker who made plays.

Sniper
05-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Best defensive player? I disagree wholeheartedly. Between Jenkins, Gholston, and Freeman, Laurinaitis wasn't the best guy out there

Michigan
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
How's Taurian Washington turning out for you guys? I remember he had a lot of hype going into his senior season at OLSM but had a slightly off year and fell behind some other WR's in terms of Michigan's recruiting priorities (not saying we didn't want him, because we did). I always thought he could eventually become a #1 receiver because of his ability to get separation and stretch the field.

BrownsTown
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM

SO ORIGINAL. Where, oh where do you get your material?

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
How's Taurian Washington turning out for you guys? I remember he had a lot of hype going into his senior season at OLSM but had a slightly off year and fell behind some other WR's in terms of Michigan's recruiting priorities (not saying we didn't want him, because we did). I always thought he could eventually become a #1 receiver because of his ability to get separation and stretch the field.

Well he didn't play much last year, but the one time I did see him in the game he had a big 30+ yd TD from Henton. He was the star of the spring game too. Either he, Small, or Sanzenbacher will be the #3 WR this year, or maybe one of the freshmen. I expect he'll be a starter in a year or two.

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Best defensive player? I disagree wholeheartedly. Between Jenkins, Gholston, and Freeman, Laurinaitis wasn't the best guy out there

Jenkins and Gholston were great last year, but JL was definitely our defensive MVP the past 2 years and had a few games where he was absolutely dominant. Freeman has come into his own since last year, but he is/will always be the second fiddle to JL, but he's still considered at preseason stage anyways the 2nd best 'backer in the conference for 2008 with Lee out.

YAYareaRB
05-12-2008, 09:00 PM

He gets it from me.. But this OSU team is SO talented that I can't bring myself to say anything.

I was wondering who was OSU's TE? How much importance does the TE position hold in OSU's offense?

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Rory Nicol and Jake Ballard are the tight ends. Ballard is actually an excellent receiving tight end, but the tight end has a minimal role in our offense. They just block or are underneath outlets basically.

Sniper
05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Rory Nicol and Jake Ballard are the tight ends. Ballard is actually an excellent receiving tight end, but the tight end has a minimal role in our offense. They just block or are underneath outlets basically.

Ballard had a great catch against MSU I think. He sprawled out big time. Fairly athletic for a man his size.

Key, aren't the TEs more or less used as extra OL?

Unbiased
05-12-2008, 09:40 PM

That comeback was even less original.

Unbiased
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM

He had a big time TD catch called back. He should be the #3 WR going into the season.

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Ballard had a great catch against MSU I think. He sprawled out big time. Fairly athletic for a man his size.

Key, aren't the TEs more or less used as extra OL?

more or less, that and they run the underneath routes and occassionally a wheel or seam route if Tressel is feeling creative. Wideouts and backs are basically the extent of our receiving targets, fullbacks and tight ends are more valuable in the run game.

thetedginnshow
05-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Jake Stoneburner!

Menardo75
05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
That comeback was even less original.

Yeah way to try and be cool and make an ass out of yourself

Unbiased
05-25-2008, 12:11 AM
What? Robiskie is a way better WR prospect than TG. Ginn had marginal route running and average hands. Realistically Devin Hester got Ginn drafted in the top 10. He was a late 20's pick period.

QFT.

So you're saying Robiskie should be drafted in the 1st round.

504 to ATL
05-25-2008, 04:36 AM
You guys might arguablly end up #1 or #2 at the end of the season with the talent you have and your schedule.

Serious question though, do you guys think you are going to do anything in your bowl this time though?

Sniper
05-25-2008, 08:27 AM
So you're saying Robiskie should be drafted in the 1st round.

Robiskie very well could end up in the first round, depending on how well he does this year and how well he times at the Combine. He's deceptively fast for such a big guy, and he's got very good hands. I think had he come out, he would have been mid-2nd to early 3rd, but he's got potential.

Sniper
05-25-2008, 08:28 AM
You guys might arguablly end up #1 or #2 at the end of the season with the talent you have and your schedule.

Serious question though, do you guys think you are going to do anything in your bowl this time though?

I'm no OSU fan, but people seem to forget that before the two NC debacles, Ohio State was 4-1 in bowl games under Tressel.

Unbiased
05-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Obviously, I was trying to be cool, there. You make a dipsh*t comment, you get one right back. That's all I was doing there, dumbass.

The Dude Abides
05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
People seem to forget that OSU's bowl game is in November when we play Michigan. **** National Championship's because that game always has, and always will be, more important.

DragonFireKai
05-28-2008, 02:21 PM
People seem to forget that OSU's bowl game is in November when we play Michigan. **** National Championship's because that game always has, and always will be, more important.

That's a weak excuse for a poor performance. Do you think Miami didn't care about losing to Ohio State, just because they beat FSU? No. You should never be ambivilent towards a loss.

The Dude Abides
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM
That's a weak excuse for a poor performance. Do you think Miami didn't care about losing to Ohio State, just because they beat FSU? No. You should never be ambivilent towards a loss.

Hey dickhead. I watched football long before I needed some stupid ass system to give me a National Champion. Beating Michigan is my top priority. Ask any of the guys that have known me for a while (sarf, commie, JB, doughy ginger, PL, etc.). Beating Michigan has always been my priority. I never said losing didn't hurt, but Michigan is more important. Ask a Bayou Bengal fan if losing to Arkansas was more important than winning a National Title. The answer is no, because the NC game is more important to them. It just so happens that to me the Michigan game is more important. THAT's our bowl game. Besides the winner of the Big 10 should play the winner of the Pac-10 in Pasadena, **** the BCS and **** Playoffs.

You need to understand the psyche of a Buckeye before you start stupid jackass comments. However, I'd expect nothing less from you teenagers and double digit IQ having mouthbreathers here.

srv fan
05-31-2008, 06:38 AM
As profanity-laced and defensive the previous post was, I can understand where he's coming from. I like for UM to win bowl games, but I love for us to beat tOSU (God, I wish it was still the 90's when we owned you guys... I'm getting sick of losing haha). At the end of the day, the current college bowl system is mostly a system of revenue generation for the NCAA, and has had all the tradition and prestige sucked out of it by the BCS. The Wolverine-Buckeye rivalry is still rooted in the tradition and intense competitive spirit that make college football awesome. Playing some random team in the Qualcomm Sprint Chil-Fil-A Outback Steakhouse Bowl with legions of stuffed suits trying to tell you its important is okay, but battling with your arch-rival in a game where the fans cheer without a Jumbotron and businesses close down for the day is infinitely better.

It's not an excuse for tOSU getting handled in the past two NC, but I also don't think college football observers outside Mich or tOSU quite understand the emotional letdown after the last regular season game.

Sniper
05-31-2008, 08:01 AM
OSU might have sucked in the past two NC games, but for Tommy Tuberville to say they would finish fifth in the SEC is ******* ********.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/05/30/tommy-tuberville-doesnt-think-very-highly-of-ohio-state/

bucknut12
06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Here is a honest buckeye fan that respects the college football scene and is realistic with our team. First off, I can't stand this topic...because Hawk is easily the better player! Laurinaitis just is not there. Let my start with Laurinaitis. The thing that is attractive with James is his size, speed, instincts, approach to the game, and leadership. However, there is something that is lacking....and it is this...while his instincts are good, they are not special. He does not shed blocks as well as he needs to. He does not get through trash as well as he needs to. He has great athletic ability, which is evident in his pass coverage skills. But what is holding him back is his ability to swift through trash, get off blocks, and make the plays behind or at the line of scrimmage (which is a stat I value highly with a front 7 defensively player). Hawk was so much better than Laurinaitis when it comes to those things. It is evident by simply looking at stats.

Laurinaitis had 8.5 tackles for loss in 06 and 07.
Hawk had 16.5 his senior year.
Wilhelm had 19.5
Big Kat had 24 in 96 and 14 in 98

The talent Hawk had upfront on the D-Line was not significantly better than what Laurinaitis has.

And there is a difference between making a tackle at or 1 to 3 yards past the line of scrimmage vs 5 or more yards down field. Laurinaitis seems consistently lack those expected tackles close to the line of scrimmage. Yeah he has had tons of tackles, but are there enough impact ones to make him great.

With that, look at the LSU national championship game. Laurinaitis had 18 total tackles....NONE for loss. Look at the 3rd down situations. 6 times did LSU rush for a 1st down when it was 3rd down and less than 5 yards, with many of them you knew(!!!!) they were going to run the ball. 4 of those conversions was apart of a drive where LSU scored, but if the defensive stop was made then Ohio State would get off the field. Out of those 6 conversions of less than 5 yards on 3rd down, Laurinaitis could have made a impact just making a play on 1 of those.

Do I think he deserved All-American status in 06...no way. The fact that he won the Butkus award and Hawk never did is a crazy. The All-American status in 07 was okay. I think he was a product of a overhyped defense caught in the national media. While he is good...he is not great and is not at the Hawk, Wilhelm of senior year, Big Kat, and the others before my time level.

None the less...Laurinaitis still has one more year...so can he become live up to hype this year, Yes! Can play at a Hawk level, Yes! He has the tools to do it...and I hope he does!

Sniper
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Refreshing honesty from a Buckeye fan. I've said for a LONG time that Laurinaitis is vastly overrated. When I watch OSU play, I never catch myself saying "WOW MAN WHAT A PLAYER". He's just around the ball, which is good, but never really makes any plays that are off the charts unless Colt McCoy or Jake Locker are giving him INTs.

Marcus Freeman, on the other hand....

YAYareaRB
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Refreshing honesty from a Buckeye fan. I've said for a LONG time that Laurinaitis is vastly overrated. When I watch OSU play, I never catch myself saying "WOW MAN WHAT A PLAYER". He's just around the ball, which is good, but never really makes any plays that are off the charts unless Colt McCoy or Jake Locker are giving him INTs.

Marcus Freeman, on the other hand....

Is there a chance, with a strong performance this season and his continuity as a workout warrior, could Freeman climb the draft boards? Maybe if he outplayed his "overrated" counterpart? Questions will be answered this season. I'm excited to watch Freeman play.

Unbiased
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM

Nothing to say?

Sniper
06-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Is there a chance, with a strong performance this season and his continuity as a workout warrior, could Freeman climb the draft boards? Maybe if he outplayed his "overrated" counterpart? Questions will be answered this season. I'm excited to watch Freeman play.

I think Freeman could go as high as late round 1 right now. So, yes, there's a possibility he could go higher. How much? I don't know. I'm sure the Colts would LOVE him.

keylime_5
06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
JL is no Hawk or Katzenmoyer, duh. His weaknesses are apparent. But if you watch the tape every time the defensive line gets penetration or at least plays well, James has a big or huge game. Against LSU, PSU, and Illinois last year the D-Line, espeically the middle guys at DT got pushed around and outphysicalled off the ball and the linebackers didn't look too good in those games. If we get a good year from the DTs in 2008 then there won't be any games where James disappears I don't think. Not every 'backer is a physical skullcrusher like Hawk and Big Kat.

YAYareaRB
06-05-2008, 10:03 AM
JL is no Hawk or Katzenmoyer, duh. His weaknesses are apparent. But if you watch the tape every time the defensive line gets penetration or at least plays well, James has a big or huge game. Against LSU, PSU, and Illinois last year the D-Line, espeically the middle guys at DT got pushed around and outphysicalled off the ball and the linebackers didn't look too good in those games. If we get a good year from the DTs in 2008 then there won't be any games where James disappears I don't think. Not every 'backer is a physical skullcrusher like Hawk and Big Kat.

So in order for him to play well, he needs good D-Line play?

keylime_5
06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, point is he plays to his elite standard when the D-Line play is good. Since he's not one of those physical head hunters who can take on and shed blockers easily he needs to have offensive guards already engaged and not free in order to penetrate. The same can be said for a lot of great pro linebackers. This is all about his run defense though in the box, sideline to sideline he's great and he is above average in pass defense where he has made a lot of big plays. Good blitzer too, best 'backer in CFB still for a reason.

YAYareaRB
06-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, point is he plays to his elite standard when the D-Line play is good. Since he's not one of those physical head hunters who can take on and shed blockers easily he needs to have offensive guards already engaged and not free in order to penetrate. The same can be said for a lot of great pro linebackers. This is all about his run defense though in the box, sideline to sideline he's great and he is above average in pass defense where he has made a lot of big plays. Good blitzer too, best 'backer in CFB still for a reason.

I'm asking because I'm a fan of the 3-4 and since there's less D-lineman would he succeed at ILB in that scheme?

keylime_5
06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
IMO he would be better off in a 4-3, but if Jerod Mayo and D'Qwell Jackson can work in a 3-4 then James Laurinaitis definitely can.....but it is not determined quite yet if either of those guys work in a 3-4, Cleveland and New England certainly seem to think so.

504 to ATL
06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm no OSU fan, but people seem to forget that before the two NC debacles, Ohio State was 4-1 in bowl games under Tressel.

With or without one controversial decison, haha.

Sniper
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
With or without one controversial decison, haha.

With, but a win's a win, no?

504 to ATL
06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
With, but a win's a win, no?

Oh they will take it, even if the rest of the country disagrees with them.

Sniper
06-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh they will take it, even if the rest of the country disagrees with them.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd take it too. That Miami team was filthy.

ThePudge
06-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm a Freeman fan myself, I think the upside is there for him to be a much better NFL player than college player.

As for Laurinaitis... Those who say he's as good/better than Laurinaitis are off. They are clearly off. Hawk was an incredible player at Ohio State; James Laurinaitis is a very good player, an elite college LB, but overhyped? Sure. He's overrated if you think he's the next Hawk. He's one of the best college Linebackers in the country, there's no doubt about that. That's all I'll give him. He does have the size, strength and athleticism to dominate though. He's a playmaker with plenty of NFL upside. A first round selection based on production and physical gifts alone, we'll see if he can take that to another level this year before I take him seriously as a Top 10 Pick.