PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in breach of UDFA rules?

D-Rod
05-09-2008, 08:47 AM
It's not exactly a huge deal, but this article indicates that the Broncos called a player during the draft to secure his signature as a free agent. I'm fairly sure that's not allowed.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9175449

Again, it's not a big deal, but it is interesting. I'd imagine that it goes on fairly regularly....

LonghornsLegend
05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
That actually does happen alot, I just remember reading about quite a few guys who hadn't been picked up by the 7th rd, teams were contacting them about being a UDFA, and then it doesn't pan out if a guy is drafted, but I do remember hearing that from quite a few prospects.

toonsterwu
05-09-2008, 09:05 AM
It's been awhile since I looked at the rules, but I'm fairly certain that, as long as an agreement is signed after the draft, then everything's fine. Granted, maybe it's not kosher, but a lot of teams do it, particularly as it gets into the 7th round.

BeerBaron
05-09-2008, 09:25 AM
i cant remember which team it was exactly but i remember reading something around draft time about how they were talking to a guy in the late 7th about signing him as an UDFA and they still had a pick left. the guy they were talking to told them he had some offers from a few other teams, so the team used the pick on him. (i guess they didnt want to do that initially)

i want to say it may have even been the saints when the drafted colston....i think that may be why it was brought up....but i dont remember for sure

D-Rod
05-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Fair enough. Just that I'd thought one had to wait until the end of the draft even to call...

trekindude
05-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, if they can call players up before the pick to discuss picking them, they can sure as hell do it for UDFA as well I'd say. Just claim that you decided to go another way, you'd never get in trouble with the League for it.

gdamac
05-10-2008, 02:32 AM
See, they been cheating the whole time, take away the trophies, strip Elway of his records, take Tom Jackson off the air!!!!

Dam8610
05-10-2008, 04:19 AM
It's not exactly a huge deal, but this article indicates that the Broncos called a player during the draft to secure his signature as a free agent. I'm fairly sure that's not allowed.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9175449

Again, it's not a big deal, but it is interesting. I'd imagine that it goes on fairly regularly....

Teams call players before the draft ends expressing interest in them all the time. If they actually got a verbal agreement before the end of the draft, that might be illegal, otherwise, it's legal.

urinemonkey
05-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Nowhere in that article does it say that there was any suspected wrongdoing or that the NFL is looking into it. And it only says they called him during the draft.

The unusual twists and turns didn't start with the phone calls. For Polumbus, they began in the seventh round, when he went from dreaming of being drafted to hoping beyond hope that he wouldn't be.

See? He got multiple phone calls, meaning Denver weren't the only ones doing it. This is a non-story.

M.O.T.H.
05-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I dont know if there was some verbal agreement or anything but, Danny Woodhead was on the phone w/ the Jets discussing becoming an UDFA signee, while on national television. Contact is made all the time.

Scott Wright
05-14-2008, 02:27 AM
I am not 100% sure but I think it is legal.

I know about 15 years ago during the early Jimmy Johnson days the Cowboys would send reps to the houses of players they were interested in and sign them on the spot, which the NFL later put a rule in place to stop. That might be what you were thinking of.