PDA

View Full Version : Mini camp surprises

luee
05-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Anyone getting the big write-up unexpectedly?

NY Giants UDFA DJ Hall has had one writer going gaga.

...Hall made several outstanding catches, including one leaping, fully stretched grab along the sidelines in the afternoon. A few times he had to leap to make the catch and not only did, but seemed to hit the ground and keep moving without missing a stride. He was smooth, he had good hands and at 6-2, 195, has decent size. On any other team, Id say he was a free-agent steal...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/

LonghornsLegend
05-10-2008, 02:06 PM
DJ Hall should of been drafted, so thats not even surprising to me, it was more surprising seeing him go undrafted in the first place.

I would mention Orlando Scandrick as he has impressed consistently, but he was expected to be a high pick anyway, but Danny Amendola has been the UDFA WR from Tech who has all the beat writers raving.

Catch this - I think everyone who watched Danny Amendola was impressed. He positively owned Mike Jenkins in one-on-ones, ran sharp routes, was able to separate on a consistent basis, and catches everything. Now, here's the thing; He's small and he isn't as quick as the man he's most often compared to - Wes Welker. What that means is he will have to show that ability to get separation, real separation against experienced NFL defensive backs, which is a must for a shorter receiver. He's off to a good start.

Danny Amendola: We could go with second-round TE Martellus Bennett or fourth-round RB Tashard Choice, who both had solid minicamps. But I'm thinking folks want to read about an undrafted dude with a chance to make the cut. Amendola, a proud Wes Welker wannabe from Texas Tech, has the best shot. Just ask Jenkins, who got beat a bunch by Amendola during the four practices. "He's real quick -- a great receiver," Jenkins said. "He's got great speed breaks and is real decisive. He's tough to cover."

It is noteworthy that Jerry would single out an undrafted guy like Amendola, who beat Jenkins one-on-one at least three times and caught everything thrown his way.
"He's real refined," Jerry said of the Wes Welker wannabe. "He really runs routes well, and he's got that quickness. He does and will separate. He will be able to separate in the NFL."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/05/three-stars-from-rookie-minicamp.html

He's been the little known star of mini camp according to reports, sounds like everyone is really high on him...They might be overblowing the "owning" of Jenkins a little bit, they are working Jenkins more off the ball right now, he is excellent in bump and run and man to man which we will ask him to do alot, but we want him to be more versatile in all aspects and that's where he needs some work as of now.

BaLLiN
05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
DJ Hall will probably make it at least on our Practice Squad, maybe 5th or 6th WR.

1. Plax
2. Toomer
3. Smith
4. Manningham
5. DJ Hall
6. David Tyree

thats how i think it should be, but Sinorice Moss might actually do something this season.

LonghornsLegend
05-10-2008, 02:26 PM
DJ Hall will probably make it at least on our Practice Squad, maybe 5th or 6th WR.

1. Plax
2. Toomer
3. Smith
4. Manningham
5. DJ Hall
6. David Tyree

thats how i think it should be, but Sinorice Moss might actually do something this season.

Why do you think two rookies will play more then Tyree who actually came on strong last year and is more experienced and ready to contribute then two rookies would be...At least in the short term.

BaLLiN
05-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Why do you think two rookies will play more then Tyree who actually came on strong last year and is more experienced and ready to contribute then two rookies would be...At least in the short term.

Tyree isnt consistant, he doesnt have a great deal of experience as a WR. He's a great special teamer, but i just dont think he could be consistant enough for us.

Manningham as a #4 is pretty ideal because we already have two very good possesion starters, a developing go to slot reciever in Steve Smith, and with manningham we'd get that explosive deep threat that stretches the field. Tyree is a smaller possesion reciever who is fast but doesnt utilize his speed well, also his hands are blah really.

DJ Hall i might be being generous there to him, but he finds a way to get the ball and makes plays, gets things done. Which is much more than i can say for Sinorice. Hall is the better reciever, Tyree may be the better player.

Staubach12
05-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Amendola has been very surprising. I would love to see him make the team.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Malik Jackson and Sam Keller have been making waves at Oakland's rookie minicamp, and Michael Bush has been drawing praise from every single report I read.

CashmoneyDrew
05-10-2008, 02:59 PM
The Giants need to share some of that WR love with the Titans.

Michigan
05-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Kevin Smith is looking like our opening day starter.

BeerBaron
05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
dont know how much of a surprise this is or not but i just read a little bit ago that oneil cousins was getting LT reps with the first team in a rotation. went from mid round guard prospect to starting LT possibly? wild....

dunno why i was reading about the ravens but i found it interesting

Race for the Heisman
05-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not surprised by Hall, Amendola, or Cousins, to be honest.

I thought Cousins was one the more intriguing guards because of the thought of him playing left tackle (Branden Albert before Branden Albert got a hype train) and I'm not sure where he went but I thought he was one of the second-tier offensive tackles with along Duane Brown and Anthony Collins.

Amendola always impressed me whenever I watched him. He's probably got fourth round measurables if I can even say that, and everything else, the production, the desire, and the character are all there.

Hall was probably more of a character issue guy and maybe some timed speed issues; no big surprise that he's good.

AkiliSmith
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Anthony Collins has looked like a stud

themaninblack
05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Anthony Collins has looked like a stud

Ya he's been talked about a lot. I can't believe we got him that late.

LonghornsLegend
05-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Also Davone Bess has impressed nearly everyone at Miami minicamps, he looks like he might end up being their slot WR...His 40 is the only thing that dropped him, he catches everything and has great field awareness, he also runs well after the catch.

eaglesfan_45
05-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Lorenzo Booker has been doing great for the Eagles. Apparently he is slated to win the #2 spot.
Winston Justice played RT w/ the first team last sunday.

Go_Eagles77
05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Tyree is a smaller possesion reciever who is fast but doesnt utilize his speed well, also his hands are blah really.

Pretty ironic considering he made arguably the biggest catch in NFL history. Not saying you're wrong its just funny.

Matthew Jones
05-10-2008, 08:34 PM
So far it sounds like the corners the Patriots drafted have been real good - Wheatley and Wilhite. Nice to hear considering corner is a weak spot and over draft weekend I thought we reached for both.

BeerBaron
05-10-2008, 09:19 PM
From all I've read, the Bears guys are looking good. Chris Williams is picking up the installed runs and protections well. Though I expected intelligence out of a guy from Vandy...not really a surprise

LonghornsLegend
05-10-2008, 09:23 PM
From all I've read, the Bears guys are looking good. Chris Williams is picking up the installed runs and protections well. Though I expected intelligence out of a guy from Vandy...not really a surprise

That and I believe he had one of the highest wonderlic scores period for any position(which I believe was 34), so yea, he seemed like a guy who would pick up very fast...As unimportant as Wonderlic scores may be, you can't really complain about a LT with a very high score.

BeerBaron
05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
That and I believe he had one of the highest wonderlic scores period for any position(which I believe was 34), so yea, he seemed like a guy who would pick up very fast...As unimportant as Wonderlic scores may be, you can't really complain about a LT with a very high score.

very true. though im usually one to point out that i dont think theyre really as much for evaluating intelligence as for evaluating how well a player prepares for something like it.

but i wont complain if my QB or LT has a high score

BaLLiN
05-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Pretty ironic considering he made arguably the biggest catch in NFL history. Not saying you're wrong its just funny.

it was his helmet doing the catching ;)

Sniper
05-10-2008, 10:56 PM
it was his helmet doing the catching ;)

Will the Giants ever cut Tyree now if he sucks? I think the entire city of NY would revolt in anger if it happened.

Hwoarang
05-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Carl Nicks is impressing. He's most likely being moved to guard.

Tracey Porter is breaking up passes like, well, idk but he's breaking up a hell of a lot of passes.

Pittsburghs_finest
05-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Rashard Mendenhall was busy getting Robbed. Sweed was working with Hines etc etc etc. It is impossible to tell how guys will look when they are in shorts. They said Willie Reid looked like a world beater his rookie year and even his 2nd year and when he hit the field he has done nothing.

Flyboy
05-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Carl Nicks is impressing. He's most likely being moved to guard.

Tracey Porter is breaking up passes like, well, idk but he's breaking up a hell of a lot of passes.

Where is this coming from? News from Saints minicamp has VERY limited due to Payton's no media policy. The only news I read came from NOLA.com and even they didn't have much.

BaLLiN
05-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Will the Giants ever cut Tyree now if he sucks? I think the entire city of NY would revolt in anger if it happened.

if his special teams play falls off, yea it could easily happen. He is really good on special teams, went to the pro bowl for it. I dont think we'll cut him this season, but maybe next.

Iamcanadian
05-11-2008, 08:44 AM
At this time of the year no coach would ever criticize a rookie, all you'll hear is how great they have been looking and what a steal they were where we drafted them. This will go on ad nausiam untill the pre season is finished and rosters are announced. This is the season where tickets are being sold and nobody will ever say a critical thing about his team or any player on it.
Anybody who believes this hype is rather foolish.

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
At this time of the year no coach would ever criticize a rookie, all you'll hear is how great they have been looking and what a steal they were where we drafted them. This will go on ad nausiam untill the pre season is finished and rosters are announced. This is the season where tickets are being sold and nobody will ever say a critical thing about his team or any player on it.

Actually no, Henne struggled, mightily, Mike Jenkins struggled, Cason struggled his 1st day, it's not like they just hype up guys for the hell of it and I've read time after time about rookies struggling and coaches pointing it out...And I can't speak on everyone, but in Dallas' case, Amendola actually has been playing lights out, one reason is that he wasn't drafted so they can't talk about what a steal it was, and two he was nowhere near being the talk of mini camp before it started.

Some of these guys they are talking about really have been playing well, now that doesn't translate into making a team or not, but some guys have really been out there seperating themselves from other players which is the purpose of the thread...I know you don't like any positive news what so ever, but there is some out there that's not just media talk.

DonWoods33
05-11-2008, 09:56 AM

Here, Here. Their in shorts, their young and fresh. And only a third of them will be around when Sept rolls around.

Hwoarang
05-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Where is this coming from? News from Saints minicamp has VERY limited due to Payton's no media policy. The only news I read came from NOLA.com and even they didn't have much.

"But I think overall I've been encouraged with what I've seen from the class in general. The big guard from Nebraska's done a good job of stepping in, Nicks. I think when you look at Ellis, he's been a pain in the rear for a couple days now, splitting some double teams and getting in the backfield. Porter showed some of the coverage skills that we were anticipating we'd see. And this Arrington has done a good job, the receiver we drafted late, of just handling the assignments. He's a pretty sharp kid."

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/05/payton_pleased_with_rookie_pra.html

Sveen
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
This ain't no minicamp surprise, but anyway...

About Sedrick Ellis: "He's been a pain in the rear for a couple days now, splitting double-teams and getting in the backfield," head coach Sean Payton said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80841bfd&template=with-video&confirm=true

myinnerself
05-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Actually no, Henne struggled, mightily, Mike Jenkins struggled, Cason struggled his 1st day, it's not like they just hype up guys for the hell of it and I've read time after time about rookies struggling and coaches pointing it out...And I can't speak on everyone, but in Dallas' case, Amendola actually has been playing lights out, one reason is that he wasn't drafted so they can't talk about what a steal it was, and two he was nowhere near being the talk of mini camp before it started.

Some of these guys they are talking about really have been playing well, now that doesn't translate into making a team or not, but some guys have really been out there seperating themselves from other players which is the purpose of the thread...I know you don't like any positive news what so ever, but there is some out there that's not just media talk.

I just wanna mention that Cason struggled the first day and had an EXCELLENT second day. He broke up a few passes and was close on a few more during team period. He really looked good.

I agree though, most rookies are gonna get positive reviews, honestly. It means nothing yet. I can name 5 Chargers receivers from the past decade that were amazing every year during minicamp and training camp, and when game day rolled around they didn't exist.

Flyboy
05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/05/payton_pleased_with_rookie_pra.html

Eh, yeah - I thought there was more.

Hwoarang
05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Eh, yeah - I thought there was more.Enough though.

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I just wanna mention that Cason struggled the first day and had an EXCELLENT second day. He broke up a few passes and was close on a few more during team period. He really looked good.

I know, I remember hearing how he rebounded that 2nd day, I wasn't knocking him, just pointing out that not every news about rookies is good...Besides, the thread isn't really to determine who will be a stud, its "mini camp surprises", I didn't think it was focusing too much on 1st rd picks playing well as thats not a huge surprise, I was looking more at late rd, undrafted guys who were standing out in the pack more so then anything.

BamaFalcon59
05-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Michael Turner is not a rookie but is ready to dominate. That is all.

Hwoarang
05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Michael Turner is not a rookie but is ready to dominate. That is all.How's ryan look? And Baker?

BamaFalcon59
05-11-2008, 02:09 PM
How's ryan look? And Baker?

Ryan is cool, calm, and collected. Worked with first and third string offenses. For the most part a good first day.

I haven't heard much from Baker, except that his dad, the AFL commisioner, really liked him going to the Falcons because of Arthur Blank and the direction we are going.

JDB7821
05-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Ryan is cool, calm, and collected. Worked with first and third string offenses. For the most part a good first day.

I haven't heard much from Baker, except that his dad, the AFL commisioner, really liked him going to the Falcons because of Arthur Blank and the direction we are going.

To add, I read at one point he was about 5/10 on his passes, but only one was a high throw and the rest were drops. Working with the third team offense can do that for you.

scottyboy
05-11-2008, 03:04 PM

clearly you're among the MANY who think Tyree is an actual receiver for us. The fact is, Sinorice Moss had more catches than him last year, and he makes the team to down punts. That's what he does. I love the guy and it was one helluva catch, but his primary goal is to down punts. He's rarely in on O

LonghornsLegend
05-11-2008, 03:15 PM
clearly you're among the MANY who think Tyree is an actual receiver for us. The fact is, Sinorice Moss had more catches than him last year, and he makes the team to down punts. That's what he does. I love the guy and it was one helluva catch, but his primary goal is to down punts. He's rarely in on O

Actually I didn't know much about Tyree to think if he would make an actual WR or not, I know he is just more seasoned and developed at WR then Manningham and Hall at this point.

scottyboy
05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Actually I didn't know much about Tyree to think if he would make an actual WR or not, I know he is just more seasoned and developed at WR then Manningham and Hall at this point.

oh definately more seasoned and experienced, but talent wise, especially at WR, Manningham and Hall each have better shots at having more catches them him next season. I just get angry because of all the local people around here are like "Hey, where are all the Tyree jerseys?" OR "He's our best WR, **** Plaxico". that kind of stuff just grinds my gears to the max. He downs punts, that's his job.

Big_Pete
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
The Giants WR situation is quite interesting

Firstly, this is very likely Amani Toomer's final season.

The fact that in the last three years, the Giants have drafted Moss, Smith and Manningham incide they seriously want to improve their WR corps (they traded up for Smith and Moss).

It is very very early, but DJ Hall is looking good, although there is little contact at the moment; He looks like his learning curve could be a little shorter than most rookies, so definately be in genuine competition for a roster spot in camp.

David Tyree is a great special teamer, but is a solid backup WR at best, he certainly is the weapon in the passing game that the others are. But will great special teams play alone be enough to secure a roster spot?

Domenik Hixon has done well as a kick returner.

The Giants are also loaded at DB and LB; so there are plenty of talented guys for special teams coverage units.

with DeOssie and Alford filling the long snapper role, the Giants have 1 roster spot available; one option that the Giants have is to take 7 WRs into the season

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens in training camp.

BlindSite
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Charles Godfrey has taken every snap at FS for the panthers and has looked solid. He got beat once or twice on broken plays, but reports are all great.

Some carter receiver who was a UDFA last year has been really good but won't make the team with Smith, Muhummad, Hackett, Jarrett, Robinson in front of him.

Jarrett has stepped up his game and is yet to drop a pass apparently.

The LB/DE tweener we got from NC is also looking great screaming off the edge too

CC.SD
05-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Michael Turner is not a rookie but is ready to dominate. That is all.

I have been saying this for YEARS.

Woody56
05-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Eric Mangini seems to be in love with CB Dwight Lowery. He has spoken very highly of him and Mangini is not a coach that usually praises his players.