PDA

View Full Version : Rate the top NFL LTs

indyfan1985
05-12-2008, 09:58 AM
List off your top LTs you would want if you were building a team from scratch so obviously age will play some part in this decision.

Mine are...

1. Joe Thomas
2. Jamaal Brown
3. Marcus McNeil
4. Tony Ugoh
5. Michael Roos
6. Matt Light
7. Jake Long
8. D'brick Ferguson
9. Levi Jones
10. Levi Brown

Gay Ork Wang
05-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Jake Long shouldnt be one there...at all. He is even considere to be best at RT. And levi brown is a RT isnt he?

Jakey
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Horrible list! :eek:

Levi Brown is a RT...and where is Walter Jones???

keylime_5
05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Jason Peters should be #2.

YAYareaRB
05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Joe Staley baby.. Manned the Tackle position like a VET!

CashmoneyDrew
05-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Roos should be higher.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
1. Walter Jones
2. Orlando Pace(based on his career)
3. Jason Peters
4. Joe Thomas (more to prove though)
5. Matt Light
6. Marcus McNeil
7a. Flozell Adams
7b. Jamaal Brown
9. William Thomas
10. Pick 1 of McKinnie,Samuels,Clifton,Ugoh(QB helps),David Diehl,Barnes

Jughead10
05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Matt Light is a little overrated because of the play of the line as a whole and having Tom Brady back there. Light can't handle speed rushers.

my future me
05-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Matt Light is a little overrated because of the play of the line as a whole and having Tom Brady back there. Light can't handle speed rushers.

Exactly, he just can't contain any speed rusher. Taylor, Feeney, Tuck, they were all across the line before he made his first step. Its pathetic actually.

What is McNeil's ranking based on his first year or his second because they're demonstrably different?

Gay Ork Wang
05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
1. Walter Jones
2. Orlando Pace(based on his career)
3. Jason Peters
4. Joe Thomas (more to prove though)
5. Matt Light
6. Marcus McNeil
7a. Flozell Adams
7b. Jamaal Brown
9. William Thomas
10. Pick 1 of McKinnie,Samuels,Clifton,Ugoh(QB helps),David Diehl,Barnes
If i would build my franchise, i wouldnt choose guys that are older than 28

TheGreatEscape
05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
1a. Michael Roos
1b. Jason Peters
3. Joe Thomas
4. Marcus McNeil
5. Levi Jones (he's been injured a lot lately but two years ago he was incredible and with a better coaching staff/organization he would revert to form)
6. D'Brickashaw(spl?) Ferguson
7. Jamal Brown
8. Bryant McKinnie
9. Tony Ugoh
10. Khalif Barnes

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
If i would build my franchise, i wouldnt choose guys that are older than 28

Its a win now league. I think Pace/Jones are the best current players by far in the NFL. GMs/coaches except for Millen(unfortuanately), only have 2-3 years to do some winning or they are on the hot seat. I'll start with Jones now and then draft a replacement in depending on when he feels like calling it quits who will be groomed by the best LT in the game.

My Right Tackle would be a young guy from the same list.

TheGreatEscape
05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm not going to argue about Jones, even though I think Peters and Rooos are closer than you'd admit. But how can you build a team about a LT who is more likely to be hurt. Than he is to play in Pace? This guy is nearing the end of his career and will be an injury concern who demands having young replacement on hand.

OzTitan
05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Win now is correct, but I believe there are some guys in the NFL at LT that represent an even coverage of both worlds - top talent now, plenty of years to go. If I'm building a team, I don't think I go for a somewhat small increase in ability for a significant descrease in longevity. I mean, it's not like there aren't young LT's already playing exceptionally. Good to great is not as big a gap as young to old IMO.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm not going to argue about Jones, even though I think Peters and Rooos are closer than you'd admit. But how can you build a team about a LT who is more likely to be hurt. Than he is to play in Pace? This guy is nearing the end of his career and will be an injury concern who demands having young replacement on hand.

I will have a young replacement on hand. My Right Tackle will be a young guy from the list because I'm an awesome GM. LOL.

The list is which LT will you build your team on. It would be Jones/Pace because I want to win now. But also my Right Tackle will be awesome too in case of injury. Thats the key to the game.

TheGreatEscape
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I will have a young replacement on hand. My Right Tackle will be a young guy from the list because I'm an awesome GM. LOL.

The list is which LT will you build your team on. It would be Jones/Pace because I want to win now. But also my Right Tackle will be awesome too in case of injury. Thats the key to the game.

The problem with that is that good oline don't just come from talent, you need guys to have chemistry and grow together totruly dominate, that's why it doesn't make sense making guys develop chemistry with someone who'll be gone in 2 years. If I had a line that had been playing together for years with this guy that's one thing but building a team around someone who'll be gone in two years doesn't sound like a good plan to me which is why I'd take the guy who's 6 years younger and is only slightly less refined.

indyfan1985
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Horrible list! :eek:

Levi Brown is a RT...and where is Walter Jones???

I stated this is a list of tackles who you would take if you were a team starting from scratch. Thats why I wasnt putting guys like Orlando Pace, Ogden, or Walter Jones up there because of their age.

Gay Ork Wang
05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I stated this is a list of tackles who you would take if you were a team starting from scratch. Thats why I wasnt putting guys like Orlando Pace, Ogden, or Walter Jones up there because of their age.
it wasnt a horrible list cause u left Pace ogden and jones of it.
Missing Jason Peters and having a RT on there as well as rookies is not a great list

MetSox17
05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
1. Marcus McNeill
2. Jason Peters
3. Joe Thomas
4. Jamaal Brown
5. Michael Roos
6. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
7. Tony Ugoh
8. Bryant McKinnie (down here, just because of his age and personal problems)

Jughead10
05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
D'Brickashaw is getting rated awfully high based on draft position alone. He certainly didn't play well enough this past season to warrant this praise.

MetSox17
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
D'Brickashaw is getting rated awfully high based on draft position alone. He certainly didn't play well enough this past season to warrant this praise.

He's learning and getting better. I'm surprised that everyone expected this guy to come in and be an All-Pro right off the bat.

He is still as talented as any LT in the league.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
The problem with that is that good oline don't just come from talent, you need guys to have chemistry and grow together totruly dominate, that's why it doesn't make sense making guys develop chemistry with someone who'll be gone in 2 years. If I had a line that had been playing together for years with this guy that's one thing but building a team around someone who'll be gone in two years doesn't sound like a good plan to me which is why I'd take the guy who's 6 years younger and is only slightly less refined.

Well 4 out of 5 of my O-line could still be on the team providing plenty of consistency. With Jones at LT, I would go younger at both guards and Right Tackle will a be a young future Left Tackle playing Right Tackle. Center wouldn't be extremely young like the guards though. I want to win now and win later and Jones gives me the best chance at that with a young Right Tackle being groomed for left tackle. But for keeping my job winning now is the highest priority in this league. Plus you would have deal with resigning one of these young players at a LT salary. With Jones/Pace, they are playing out their career on your team for 2-3 years and you can resign the young guy at a Right Tackle salary a year before Jones/Pace retire.

This scenario is complex because it most likely will be a fantasy draft if we are picking from all these tackles. When am I picking and who is on the board. If I had a big board of LTs, the one I provided would be it. And if I think I could wait and get Jones in Round 3 of that fantasy draft(because everyone is picking younger guys early) thats a great scenario because I can pick the most imporant position of QB and get a stud DE. If your building through a new expansion team, you only get to choose from a small list of players.

themaninblack
05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Levi doesn't deserve to be on that list right now. He was REALLY bad when he came back from injury last season but injury is only thing that would hold him back from being top 5-10.

Matthew Jones
05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Top five in some order is Joe Thomas (no sacks allowed), Jason Peters, Marcus McNeill, Walter Jones, and Jamaal Brown, IMO.

Jakey
05-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Top five in some order is Joe Thomas (no sacks allowed), Jason Peters, Marcus McNeill, Walter Jones, and Jamaal Brown, IMO.

Joe Thomas allowed 4.5 sacks. But that is still very impressive for a rook! :)

Matthew Jones
05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
I could have sworn it was zero. Hm. I'll take your word for it. Any source for that? I'm just curious.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I could have sworn it was zero. Hm. I'll take your word for it. Any source for that? I'm just curious.

Heres a link.
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8257&team=5

skinzzfan25
05-12-2008, 01:56 PM
5 time pro bowler chris samuels anybody?

Thunder&Lightning
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
1. Walter Jones
2. Joe Thomas
3. Matt Light
4. Jason Peters
5. Marcus Mcneil
6. Jamal Brown
7. Bryant Mckinnie
8. Flozell Adams
9. Chris Samuels
10. Tony Ugoh

757Dawg
05-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Heres a link.
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=8257&team=5

As someone who saw every snap of every Browns game last year, I can tell you for a clear cut fact that those numbers are wrong. Joe Thomas didn't allow 4.5 sacks; that's just ridiculous.

And any list that doesn't feature Thomas #1, or #2 at the very least, is also ridiculous.

Jakey
05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
They are correct my friend. Via NFL.com aswell! :)

Geo
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Initial glance leaves me surprised to see Jamaal Brown ranked so high, given how speed rushers give him fits.

Pb&j
05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
1a.Jason Peters
1b.Joe Thomas(I am a browns fan, and would put peters ahead of thomas)
3.Walter Jones
4.Marcus Mcniel
5.Roos/Samuels/Brown

novembrefluo
05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
As someone who saw every snap of every Browns game last year, I can tell you for a clear cut fact that those numbers are wrong. Joe Thomas didn't allow 4.5 sacks; that's just ridiculous.

And any list that doesn't feature Thomas #1, or #2 at the very least, is also ridiculous.

Isn't it because of the first Steelers game ? The Browns O-line was abused

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Isn't it because of the first Steelers game ? The Browns O-line was abused

Most likely 6 sacks in that game with Charlie Frye in. Amazing how a QB makes the difference. Just like with Peyton, Ugoh is not some all world player, Peyton makes a big difference.

Its tough to see who is at fault against a 3-4 defense.

abaddon41_80
05-12-2008, 03:14 PM

I can understand someone being hesitant to put him up there as he has only played one year, even though I myself would put him at #2.

Also, as someone already said, D'Brickashaw Ferguson was not anything special last year or his rookie season and shouldn't be anywhere near top 10

Sniper
05-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Ferguson gave up more sacks last year than he did in his rookie year

tressel=god
05-12-2008, 04:41 PM
McNeil over Thomas any day

jetsfan0099
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Since I'm a Jets fan and I watched every Jets game and watched a lot of Brick, I'll tell you a bit of his problems.
First off he had a 7 game span last year where he was absolute dominant. He was like the lone guy that consistently was beating the man infront of him, he owned Jason Taylor, Giants DEs, Trent Cole, Schobel, and I forget it was a while ago I am pretty sure these guys he owned, I know he destroyed Taylor for sure that game, form the very first snap where he knocked Taylor on his ass to the last snap.

Next he did struggle towards the end of the season where he started giving up sacks, some of them weren't his fault and were because of the mis communication on the OL and miss assignments, that sacks allowed is BS stat to me, you have to watch these guys to really understand them. Ferguson improved from his rookie season to last year, was still inconsistent, but once again his problems was keeping weight on. As a rookie he fell to under 280 at the end of the season. So he gained weight and was at 305 during training camp and then fell back down to low.
This year he is adding a lot of weight, he wants to get up to 320, this is what I heard, he thinks getting up that high he can maintain a 300+ body frame the whole season. Which he needs to be, under 300 is bad.
I think with Faneca next to him and him gaining weight he will be great this year, this will be the season he finally shows his enormous potential and becomes one of the better LT in the NFL.
The Jets O-linemen like Brandon Moore and Nick Mangold would tell you that our problems last year were that we didn't have any vets really, and had players that weren't making the right call or something and people were coming in for the sacks untouched. This year Faneca should make a impact, thats why we signed him. Woody should too, I think Woody will resurrect his career with Mangini being his HC and Bill Callahan the OL coach.

Thats my thoughts with Ferguson, I think hes a good LT and can be mentioned on this list, I think this year he really starts to show that he isn't average and starts to become one of the better at his position.
One thing you can't question is his work ethic, he is always at the Jets complex working out and trying to get better. Good player to have in your locker room. I still think he will make a few probowls in his career and have a very nice career.

TimD
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
You guys think Ugoh is better than D'Brickashaw?! I'm surprised.

jetsfan0099
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
You guys realize he said age is a factor? Some of you are putting 32 year old LTs, I wouldn't want one to build my team around.

PACKmanN
05-12-2008, 06:05 PM
wow, not one mentions Chad Clifton and he a better left tackle then most of these players you guys listed.

But if there was an age factor I would take Joe Thomas any day or David Diehl who I feel is underrated. For a first year LT, after playing LG for a while, he did an great job.

Sniper
05-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Trent Cole

Trent Cole: 6 tackles, 1 sack
Shut down indeed.... :rolleyes:

jetsfan0099
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Trent Cole: 6 tackles, 1 sack
Shut down indeed.... :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he got the better of Trent Cole that game, I remember being impressed after words. I also remember that the sack Cole got wasn't off of Ferguson or something, and 6 tackles doesn't mean anything, those tackles could of been like down the field.

neko4
05-12-2008, 06:58 PM
wow, not one mentions Chad Clifton and he a better left tackle then most of these players you guys listed.

But if there was an age factor I would take Joe Thomas any day or David Diehl who I feel is underrated. For a first year LT, after playing LG for a while, he did an great job.
Because of age, like you said
Joe Thomas and Chad Clifton is my ideal set
With Gosder Cherilus waiting in the wings

BufFan71
05-12-2008, 07:05 PM
though Jason Peters had a decent year..... i think hes the best LT in the NFL

hes got amazing athleticism, and he makes amazing blocks that other LT's just cannot make
he gets a good push in the run game, has the strength to stop bullrushers, and speed to contain speed rushers

this offseason he admitted he was still learning how to completely play LT, and was still developing technique as a blocker and player

hes gonna get MUCH better, and hes only like 25

abaddon41_80
05-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Also watch out for Joe Staley. He was good last season at RT and got better as the season went along. He is switching to LT this year and he has the size, athleticism, and skill to be great

Mr. Stiller
05-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I think Marvel Smith is underrated, I'd say he's in the top 10 LT's in the NFL. I think he's in the 9-10 range.. but he's certainly better than Ugoh, Jammal Brown.

TitanHope
05-13-2008, 01:16 AM
1) Walter Jones
2) Michael Roos
3) Jammal Brown
4) Chris Samuels
5) Jason Peters
6) Joe Thomas
7) Matt Light
8) Bryant McKinnie
9) Marcus McNeill
10) Khalif Barnes

I left out Pace and Ogden cause of their age and injuries, but they're HoF'ers and we all know that. Walter Jones is still awesome. I think Michael Roos is the best LT in the AFC. Jammal Brown had a great year in protection, but he still commits too many penalties. Chris Samuels had an average year in protection and didn't commit a holding penalty all year, but he needs to limit his false starts. Jason Peters had his worst year sacks-wise and penalty wise, which dropped him. Joe Thomas had a great year for a rook, but he's still a rookie and doesn't deserve to be put ahead of the guys who've been great for years. Matt Light gives up too many sacks, but is good penalty-wise - he wouldn't make Pro Bowls if he wasn't a Patriot. McKinnie was awesome penalty-wise and is great in run-blocking, but he gives up too many sacks and if he masked by Steve Hutchinson? McNeill got blown up this year in protection, but is good in penalties. Khalif Barnes is very under-rated and commits few penalties, but needs to improve in protection if he wants to gain credit.

And when I say, Gives up too many sacks/Commits too many penalities, I mean it according to obtaining "Elite" status (ie. An elite LT may give up 4 sacks all year, so a LT who gives up 7 sacks gives up too many sacks to be considered elite in that area.)

GermanSaint
05-13-2008, 02:06 AM

nearly the same goes for jammal brown , is funny how overrated he is on peoples board.

Chief49er
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
joe staley

TheBuffaloBills
05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Jason Peters runs a 4.8

I loved watching him on special teams when he was a rookie and a sophmore.. He would be one of the first players down the field and knock 3 players on their butts.

bustabinary
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Can we consider RTs to be LTs in this context if the quarterback is left handed?

PoopSandwich
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM

Where?

And if you are counting the first game of the year where Frye ran himself into what... 7 sacks?

I'm pretty sure Thomas got credited with 0 sacks allowed.

EDIT: Sorry didnt read some of the other posts, I still don't think Thomas gave up sacks besides in that first Pitt game where Frye was running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Sniper
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Where?

And if you are counting the first game of the year where Frye ran himself into what... 7 sacks?

I'm pretty sure Thomas got credited with 0 sacks allowed.

At least 3.5, but who's counting?

YAYareaRB
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Can we consider RTs to be LTs in this context if the quarterback is left handed?

Good question.. I think it should

tylerb929
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM

Tony Ugoh allowed just 1.5 sacks, of course he only played in 11 games due to injury, but that is still rediculous.

Yung Flippa
05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
One day...Jared Gaither will be on this list.

BufFan71
05-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Jason Peters runs a 4.8

I loved watching him on special teams when he was a rookie and a sophmore.. He would be one of the first players down the field and knock 3 players on their butts.

i remember his rookie year, he ran through the Cinci's punt team, and blocked the punt, and recovered it in the endzone

lets also not forget his leaping touchdown catch against the Texans

Gay Ork Wang
05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Tony Ugoh allowed just 1.5 sacks, of course he only played in 11 games due to injury, but that is still rediculous.
He is blocking for Manning how is prolly one of the most prolific passers ever...

bored of education
05-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Branden Albert :)

marks01234
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Its a win now league. I think Pace/Jones are the best current players by far in the NFL. GMs/coaches except for Millen(unfortuanately), only have 2-3 years to do some winning or they are on the hot seat. I'll start with Jones now and then draft a replacement in depending on when he feels like calling it quits who will be groomed by the best LT in the game.

My Right Tackle would be a young guy from the same list.

I think Pace is close to done but I agree with your point.

Win now espically with OLs. No telling how long a lot of the guys can hold up.

FloridaFootball
05-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Chris Samuels LT Redskins has made the pro bowl 6 times in his 8 years in the league and hes in none of ur guys top 10....wow

no love
05-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Chris Samuels LT Redskins has made the pro bowl 6 times in his 8 years in the league and hes in none of ur guys top 10....wow

Probably because everyone is so busy talking about the Redskins latest free agent acquisition they always forget about the guys that have really kept that team competitive. For the longest time Samuels and Jansen were the best things about the Redskins.

jetsfan0099
05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/50-IMG_9107.jpg

This man I think will have a break out year.
http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/8-IMG_8732.jpg
Some do to #66

Menardo75
05-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Joe Staley for sure I think he will crack the top 10 next year

GermanSaint
05-15-2008, 05:17 PM

i have to agree , i really like samuels.

indyfan1985
05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
He is blocking for Manning how is prolly one of the most prolific passers ever...

I agree with you that Manning makes Ugoh better because of Manning's great pocket awareness. But Ugoh is a very athletic and talented LT and I would probably rate him top 5 among young LTs I would build a team around.

Big_Pete
05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I would go with David Diehl (Giants)

Fair enough he isn't as athletic or flashy as the big name LTs, but he does a good, consistent job and rises to whatever challenges face him.

I think it is notable that nothing much was made of the Giants Left ackle last year depsite it being basically a good left guard up against the NFLs top speed rushers in a new position.

Another consideration, even with his new contract Diehl is paid well under half the money of what most of the other guys are on.

TheGreatEscape
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I would go with David Diehl (Giants)

Fair enough he isn't as athletic or flashy as the big name LTs, but he does a good, consistent job and rises to whatever challenges face him.

I think it is notable that nothing much was made of the Giants Left ackle last year depsite it being basically a good left guard up against the NFLs top speed rushers in a new position.

Another consideration, even with his new contract Diehl is paid well under half the money of what most of the other guys are on.

I love diehl, my favorite olineman for us, but he's so much better at LG that he shouldn't be in the discussion for LTs. He's a good LT but he's only exceptional at LG. If a team had any of the guys mentioned in this thread diehl would be a guard instantly.

BlindSite
05-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Ferguson gives up sacks every other day. He's got tools but he's yet to become a solid player imo.

SenorGato
05-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Ferguson gives up sacks every other day. He's got tools but he's yet to become a solid player imo.

Haven't watched much D'Brick? Last year he was inconsistent but definitely getting better.

He had a nice little run last year...and that was with garbage next to him. I expect him to be a very good LT this year.

skinzzfan25
05-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Probably because everyone is so busy talking about the Redskins latest free agent acquisition they always forget about the guys that have really kept that team competitive. For the longest time Samuels and Jansen were the best things about the Redskins.

Who, Jerome Mathis or Todd Collins?

Sniper
05-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Haven't watched much D'Brick? Last year he was inconsistent but definitely getting better.

He had a nice little run last year...and that was with garbage next to him. I expect him to be a very good LT this year.

He gave up more sacks last year than during his rookie year.

BlindSite
05-16-2008, 07:51 AM
He gave up more sacks last year than during his rookie year.

Exactly.

I'll give him a couple of passes on the fact that the running game, QB situation and supporting cast wasn't ideal.

However, one could question if those aspects "supposedly" his problem weren't what caused Ferguson to have a bad year and that his inconsistent play at such a pivotal position caused a lot of the other issues on offense.

Just playing devils advocate here. I like his potential like a mentioned, he's still yet to show me that he can be considered a franchise LT though.

art vandelay
05-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Kind of funny how Peters gets more hype now than he did last year. In 2006, he had his best season but was rarely talked about in Top 5 LT circles and didn't make the Pro Bowl. He didn't have as good of a season in 07 (still really good though) and he gets Top 5 talk and makes the Pro Bowl.

He is a stud, though. If I'm building a franchise, he's the LT I take 1st simply because he's more athletic and mobile than Joe Thomas, although Thomas is probably more technically refined right now. The scariest part about Peters is that he isn't a finished product right now and still has a very high potential. He's only played LT for 2 years in the NFL and he is playing excellent.

Rob S
05-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Kind of funny how Peters gets more hype now than he did last year. In 2006, he had his best season but was rarely talked about in Top 5 LT circles and didn't make the Pro Bowl. He didn't have as good of a season in 07 (still really good though) and he gets Top 5 talk and makes the Pro Bowl.

He is a stud, though. If I'm building a franchise, he's the LT I take 1st simply because he's more athletic and mobile than Joe Thomas, although Thomas is probably more technically refined right now. The scariest part about Peters is that he isn't a finished product right now and still has a very high potential. He's only played LT for 2 years in the NFL and he is playing excellent.

he's only played LT for 2 years period, he was a TE in college.

art vandelay
05-16-2008, 08:14 AM
he's only played LT for 2 years period, he was a TE in college.

I know, that's what I'm saying. TE in college, TE for us his rookie year, RT his second year, and LT his 3rd and 4th years. Just an incredible athlete. His only improving and should be in the top 1-3 LT in the NFL for the next 5 years or so.

Rob S
05-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I know, that's what I'm saying. TE in college, TE for us his rookie year, RT his second year, and LT his 3rd and 4th years. Just an incredible athlete. His only improving and should be in the top 1-3 LT in the NFL for the next 5 years or so.

yup....hopefully some of that Toronto money goes towards locking up him and evans and maybe trent if he has a good year.

SuperMcGee
05-16-2008, 02:14 PM

Well Peters was at LT for only the second half of 2006, starting with the GB game. Of course our record improved greatly from that point and he was extremely good from the start there, but that's probably why he wasn't mentioned in the top guys. He was an absolute beast at RT, just amazing, and now he's a surefire top 5 LT in my book.

The Legend
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Starting From Scratch
I'd Want Young Talent

01. Jason Peters
02. Marcus McNeill
03. Jamaal Brown
04. Michael Roos
05. Joe Thomas
06. Bryant McKinnie
07. David Diehl
08. Joe Staley
09. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
10. Khalif Barnes

Seasonticketholder
05-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Initial glance leaves me surprised to see Jamaal Brown ranked so high, given how speed rushers give him fits.

Hmm...that is somewhat true but I still think that Brown is one of the top 3 tackles in the league. He was absolutely dominant two years ago. People must remember that he played last year with a knee injury and also dealt with an injury to his left calf.