PDA

View Full Version : Which 2nd year WR will have the best season?

Splat
05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Who you got?

skinzzfan25
05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I absolutley think that the Ginn pick was terrible, but I think he should improve this season.

Also, if Marvin isn't in Indy then Anthony Gonzo is set up for a pretty nice season.

EDIT: Steve Smith also, if Eli shows that the playoffs wasn't a fluke.

I voted Gonzo, he has the best quarterback of the bunch and could end up starting.

Michigan
05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Calvin Johnson is real dangerous when healthy, but I dont think I needed to tell you that.

OSUGiants17
05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
can't decide. Ginn, Bowe, Rice, or Johnson.

JagHombre22
05-12-2008, 04:12 PM
one guy who should probably be on that list is Mike Walker...and yes, that may be a homer pick but he was on IR all last season but in preseason he was lights out...I see big things from him....IMO

Splat
05-12-2008, 04:14 PM
one guy who should probably be on that list is Mike Walker...and yes, that may be a homer pick but he was on IR all last season but in preseason he was lights out...I see big things from him....IMO

I wanted to put more guys but it would only let me put ten so I went by stats for the most part.

themaninblack
05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I have a feeling Dwayne Jarrett could do real well.

holt_bruce81
05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Steve Smith and Calvin Johnson are going to be the most improved.

Scotty D
05-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Why? Just wondering.

themaninblack
05-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Why? Just wondering.

actually no real reason, just have a feeling he's kind of due IMO.

holt_bruce81
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM

From what I hear, he needs a better work ethic. He needs to work on perfecting his route running because his speed won't get him away from any NFL Corner.

I think he's a few years away.

neko4
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
actually no real reason, just have a feeling he's kind of due IMO.
due... to get cut
actually i like him too
if he'd work hard, he'd be great

Maybe Next Year Millen2
05-12-2008, 04:26 PM
If its not Calvin, and Joe Thomas dominates then I'm going to cry. All that hype. The ball should be spread around in Detroit, but it better be spread to Calvin and Roy in the redzone.

bigbluedefense
05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Mike Walker, and Dwayne Bowe.

Mark it down.

Byrd430
05-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I gotta go with Anthony Gonzalez. I have a feeling that Gonzo will get more looks in Indy. Obviously, Wayne is still number one, Harrison is still a top receiver even at his age. But I feel like they've got to get Gonzo more involved for the future as well as now. Harrison has battled some injuries lately as well.

That said, I obviously like Calvin Johnson, and if he shines, Roy Williams could be out the door (even though I don't agree...) I also like Steve Smith, Dwayne Bowe, and maybe James Jones if certain situations work out.

Hines
05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
No Dallas Baker? Wow, what a crappy list!! Im just kidding. I think Bowe will have a Pro Bowl type of year, but I see Calvin being the stud that people put on his shoulders. Gonzalez will be beastly too and prove to be a sleeper.

cdub11
05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
i think Bowe will have the biggest year of them all

Yatta!
05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm sure we had a thread like this a while back but anyway. Bowe should have another solid season but its time for CJ to break out, he has WAY to much talent.

RaiderNation
05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Calvin Johnson
sleeper pick- Dwayne Jarret

Seasonticketholder
05-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Robert Meachem.

Geo
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Gonzalez will have the best season, because his team will have the best season. ;)

But in terms of statistics, I'll say Calvin Johnson. He's on a team that will need to score, and has Roy Williams and other receivers to help keep extra defenders off of him, and a veteran quarterback. Bowe can't say the same, beastly as he looked last year.

Speaking of, I don't understand why the Lions are going to a run-oriented offense. It's the stupidest thing to me, when you have Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson, Mike Furrey, and Shaun McDonald. But the selection of Cherilus ensures that McDonald at least will be gone, if not Williams too eventually, as they try to get away from the pass despite the suiting of talent.

PS. Meachem is going to explode in 09.

BeerBaron
05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
i voted calvin though i could see anthony gonzalez doing well too. Hell, given the shocker about Marvin, he might even be starting...

And bowe, as much as i like him and think he'll be great one day, hes got nothing much else around him on offense. Any other receivers? nope....gonzalez might still give em a good year but hes getting well up there... LJ might come back but neither he nor bowe is going to do much imo with croyle and still some holes on the o-line. sorry if that didnt make much sense, lol....

but calvin got it for me. the guys just a freakish monster and i dont know if any of the teams in their division have what they need to stop him...

Flyboy
05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Robert Meachem ftw. Durr.

;)

keylime_5
Calvin will probably have an 800-1000 yard year this year before he explodes in 2009. I think Bowe and Gonzo will have very productive years, but Ginn and Davis and Meachum and Rice will take 3-4 years to develop into top flight receivers.

MidwayMonster31
Bowe could have a decent year again, but a lot of it depends on Brodie Croyle. I'll go with the dark-horse and say James Jones. He was putting up good numbers last year but had some injury problems. Rodgers should be able to get him the ball in the middle of the field against those Tampa-2 defenses in the North.

Geo
05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd rather pass to Jordy Nelson.

saintsfan912
05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Bowe is gonna have a hell of a year I think.

Also, everything I have been reading points to Robert Meachem having an awesome season! Can't wait til he blows up like he should. He is even being intelligent by getting help from the vet WRs in New Orleans like David Patten.

Jakey
05-12-2008, 05:23 PM
I love CJ...but his back got dinged up bad last season, and they are moving to a run orientated offence.

My super-sleeper pick is Jacoby Jones. I dnt think he will have the best season by any marjin, but i expect him to do quite well in Houston! :)

CC.SD
05-12-2008, 05:24 PM
CJ.

Not Craig Davis: he is utterly buried on the depth chart. Chambers and Jackson aren't going anywhere, and Eric Parker has returned to man the slot. Legedu Naanee is getting an absolute ton of praise out of camp, and we have a lot of other tricky 3rd down type players as well, like Hester, Sproles, and Scott Chandler. He'll be lucky to see the field much, no matter what he's got to bring to the table.

saintsfan912
05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Trade him to New Orleans! I'm sure we'd love to have him come back home.

By the way, MICHIGAN, love the sig man.

abaddon41_80
05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Anthony Gonzales will probably put up the best numbers just because of the Colt's offesne

CC.SD
05-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Trade him to New Orleans! I'm sure we'd love to have him come back home.

By the way, MICHIGAN, love the sig man.

I'd trade him in a sec if I thought we could anything near value for him.

TimD
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
WHY ISN'T CHANSI STUCKEY ON THE LIST?! I refuse to vote!!! :mad:

http://media.theinsiders.com/media/image/17/170876.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/art/sportsdata/nfl/players/hs_8489.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08112007/photos/sports050a.jpg
^btw he held on to the ball

Splat
05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
I can't believe I forgot to put Robert Meachem on the list.:(

scottyboy
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
gimme my boy Steve Smith kthxbye

d34ng3l021
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Its between Bowe and Johnson I think. Sleeper picks may be Gonzalez and Jones.

Meachem could come in and do well.

And of course, when I was talking about these guys, I was talking about them getting 2nd place. Laurent Robinson is number 1 for sure.

BeerBaron
05-12-2008, 06:28 PM
im just not getting all the bowe love...i think he might have one of the worst situations out of those guys. He could be effective for them but i don't think his season will look as good in the end as compared to say, calvin johnson who is still going to get a lot of passes his way, power running or not in Detroit

LonghornsLegend
05-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I voted for Anthony Gonzalez, he is in a stable offense that produces high numbers and stats, best QB off that list, great offensive line and running game...As far as him, he started to come into his own towards the end of last year, Wayne is going to demand almost all of the attention, and I believe Gonzalez can beat single coverage vs #2 corners all day between his route running and Peyton's timing and accuracy.

I don't think he will have any problem putting up bigger numbers then Calvin who is a #2 WR also in an offense that won't produce the same, and same goes for Bowe except he will see the opposing team's best corner and the double coverages, it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled some and took a step back this year.

LonghornsLegend
05-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Bowe is gonna have a hell of a year I think.

Also, everything I have been reading points to Robert Meachem having an awesome season! Can't wait til he blows up like he should. He is even being intelligent by getting help from the vet WRs in New Orleans like David Patten.

If he fully recovered and 100%, or are his knees still going to be bothersome during his season/career?

saintsfan912
05-12-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/17952059.html

There's your Meachem article.

Race for the Heisman
05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I voted for Anthony Gonzalez, he is in a stable offense that produces high numbers and stats, best QB off that list, great offensive line and running game...As far as him, he started to come into his own towards the end of last year, Wayne is going to demand almost all of the attention, and I believe Gonzalez can beat single coverage vs #2 corners all day between his route running and Peyton's timing and accuracy.

I don't think he will have any problem putting up bigger numbers then Calvin who is a #2 WR also in an offense that won't produce the same, and same goes for Bowe except he will see the opposing team's best corner and the double coverages, it wouldn't surprise me if he struggled some and took a step back this year.

Stole my post. The only reason not to choose Gonzalez is the other targets that Peyton has and Marvin has age/injury/legal troubles. If they used more true three wide sets (because they usually split out Dallas Clark to create mismatches) then it would make even more sense (picking Gonzalez).

On a small side note I think Jacob Tamme is going to be legit in a few years, he seems like (Anthony) Gonzalez in tight end form, very intelligent, underrated athleticism and someone who is primed for the Colts' system. I'm still hoping Roy Hall makes something of himself though.

Splat
05-12-2008, 06:47 PM
im just not getting all the bowe love...i think he might have one of the worst situations out of those guys.

On paper the Chiefs have a better OL then last year and will have Larry Johnson back.

Let's not forget that Bowe didn't get his deal done to the middle of the pre season and still had all most 1000 yards.

He will have all of TC and pre season to work with Croyle I think he is in a better situation this year then he was last year.

indyfan1985
05-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Well knowing the Colts as I do I think Gonzo will have a pretty good year considering that Peyton loves to throw the ball in the slot to Stokely when we had him and Gonzo is better and faster than Stokely. I could possibly see the Colts using Gonzo the way the Pats used Welker last year.

Hwoarang
05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
It'll be Meachem if he earns the #2 spot.

zoinks
05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Ginn came on strong over the latter part of his rookie season, and his biggest competition is Ernest Wilford. I'm guessing Ginn goes into the season as the #1.

Also, let's not forget that the Dolphins are still pretty bad....they're going to be throwing it a lot.

I'm guessing Ginn puts up some impressive numbers.

Geo
05-12-2008, 10:00 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Ginn is the third option behind Ernest Wilford and Derek Hagan, Parcells doesn't give a fig about Teddy Ginn or the Ginn family. Plus add in Ronnie Brown as a receiving option, and newly-acquired TE Anthony Fasano.

kmartin575
05-12-2008, 11:05 PM
im just not getting all the bowe love...i think he might have one of the worst situations out of those guys. He could be effective for them but i don't think his season will look as good in the end as compared to say, calvin johnson who is still going to get a lot of passes his way, power running or not in Detroit

One of the worst situations? His situation was worse last year than it should be this year. The Chiefs have improved the offensive line, they have Larry Johnson back, they added some wide receivers, they added Jamaal Charles to add another dimension to the offense, and they added Brad Cottam who will be mainly a blocker but at 6'7" should be an intriguing option in the passing game. Bowe didn't have crap to work with last year and he still put up 70 catches, 995 yards, and 5 touchdowns. If he can do that with the crap we had last year, why can't he do better with what should be a better offense this year?

kmartin575
05-12-2008, 11:10 PM

Bowe saw the teams best corner last year also. Against the cornerback rich AFC West alone he put up a total of 31 catches for 506 yards and 1 touchdown over 6 games. That was being matched up against Quentin Jammer, Champ Bailey, and Nnamdi Asomugha most of the time. So how will next year be any different than this past year?

Also, I would love to see teams try and double cover Dwayne Bowe. Because Tony Gonzalez will absolutely shred them the moment they try to do that.

BamaFalcon59
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Robert Meachem ftw. Durr.

;)

I love your avatar.

BeerBaron
05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
One of the worst situations? His situation was worse last year than it should be this year. The Chiefs have improved the offensive line, they have Larry Johnson back, they added some wide receivers, they added Jamaal Charles to add another dimension to the offense, and they added Brad Cottam who will be mainly a blocker but at 6'7" should be an intriguing option in the passing game. Bowe didn't have crap to work with last year and he still put up 70 catches, 995 yards, and 5 touchdowns. If he can do that with the crap we had last year, why can't he do better with what should be a better offense this year?

i would both agree with and argue the fact that he may have overachieved last year. Opposing defenses will know to gameplan more for him now and will have a whole year of film to watch in order to get an idea how to do it. Lots of guys suffer a sophomore slump and a guy who overachieved as a rookie and is still on a team with tons of questions could really get struck by it. I liked bowe and i hope it doesnt happen but im not liking the situation...

kmartin575
05-12-2008, 11:27 PM
i would both agree with and argue the fact that he may have overachieved last year. Opposing defenses will know to gameplan more for him now and will have a whole year of film to watch in order to get an idea how to do it. Lots of guys suffer a sophomore slump and a guy who overachieved as a rookie and is still on a team with tons of questions could really get struck by it. I liked bowe and i hope it doesnt happen but im not liking the situation...

I just don't see how he overachieved. He is clearly an elite talent and what he did was on par with somebody of his talent level. Not saying he couldn't have a small decline in production but I don't think he has come anywhere close to how he can be.

BamaFalcon59
05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I voted Laurent Robinson out of homerism. Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, Gonzalez, James Jones, and Ted Ginn should continue to improve with the lot of them. Sydney Rice, depending on the feel of the offense.

MetSox17
05-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't think people should just completely forget about Dwayne Jarrett after his horrible rookie season. Jake Delhomme should be completely healthy again this year, and with the better offensive line play and better running game, I think he'll have some time to pass the ball, and not always to the double covered Steve Smith.

Muhsin Muhammad shouldn't be much of a threat, he's just a big guy who can't really move much anymore. Dwayne Jarrett has looked good in mini camps, and with a change in attitude can come in and be a very good number 2 option.

Let's not forget this guy has hands of glue and great size.

LonghornsLegend
05-13-2008, 03:43 AM

Why has Michael Clayton not had a season as good as his rookie year yet? You cant just assume guys will continue to increase their stats because its not always that easy...Last year defenses were not gameplanning to stop Bowe, this year believe they will be, that's not to say he can't have another good year but point blank his situation is not even close to being as good as some of those other guys.

Look at Calvin Johnson for instance, he has Roy opposite him, defenses are going to pay alot of attention to Roy, same with Gonzalez and Reggie Wayne, Bowe doesn't have that same luxury...Also it's not hard to double a WR and still pay attention to the TE, nobody is just going to forget about Gonzalez.

Bowe might end up putting up great stats again, but you can't just assume he will improve on last years numbers just because, the QB situation is up in the air, and you don't even have a clue of how well Croyle will play the entire season, the same cannot be said for Manning or even Kitna, the line is improve but there are still rookies out there so you can't assume they will step in like veterans...There are lots of question marks, you just can't shrug all that off and expect Bowe to put up 1300 yds, is it possible? Certainly, but the only people who think its a lock to happen are probably Chiefs fans.

Caddy
05-13-2008, 03:49 AM
I could see it being a guy like Calvin Johnson or Sidney Rice, but with Dwayne Bowe being pretty much the only wide receiver in Kansas City I think he should go pretty close to 1000 yards and over 7 TD's.

kmartin575
05-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Why has Michael Clayton not had a season as good as his rookie year yet? You cant just assume guys will continue to increase their stats because its not always that easy...Last year defenses were not gameplanning to stop Bowe, this year believe they will be, that's not to say he can't have another good year but point blank his situation is not even close to being as good as some of those other guys.

Look at Calvin Johnson for instance, he has Roy opposite him, defenses are going to pay alot of attention to Roy, same with Gonzalez and Reggie Wayne, Bowe doesn't have that same luxury...Also it's not hard to double a WR and still pay attention to the TE, nobody is just going to forget about Gonzalez.

Bowe might end up putting up great stats again, but you can't just assume he will improve on last years numbers just because, the QB situation is up in the air, and you don't even have a clue of how well Croyle will play the entire season, the same cannot be said for Manning or even Kitna, the line is improve but there are still rookies out there so you can't assume they will step in like veterans...There are lots of question marks, you just can't shrug all that off and expect Bowe to put up 1300 yds, is it possible? Certainly, but the only people who think its a lock to happen are probably Chiefs fans.

To say it's not hard to double cover a wide receiver and cover a tight end is a ridiculous. Covering a tight end like Tony Gonzalez is just as difficult as somebody like Roy Williams. And considering Gonzalez put up superior numbers to Williams last year, I would consider him more of a threat opposite of Bowe. It's simple. Double cover Bowe and that can leave single coverage for Gonzalez or another receiver or both. Double cover Gonzalez and that leaves Bowe or other receivers in single coverage. Double cover both and the rest of the field is wide open for a runningback out of the backfield or for another wide receiver to get open. Plus having a healthy Larry Johnson will again require 8 men in the box. That definitely opens up things for the passing game. Until Kevin Smith proves it the Lions don't have a proven runner to make teams respect the ground game.

As far as Anthony Gonzalez is concerned, he is the 4th option on most passing plays with Wayne, Harrison, and Clark all ahead of him. With Clark often splitting out wide Gonzalez often might not even be on the field. If Harrison did not play this year because of his legal issue then Gonzalez would still be the 3rd option. Dwayne Bowe is the 2nd option in the Chiefs' offense.

Bills2083
05-13-2008, 06:39 AM
I went with Bowe, but I think Calvin Johnson will be very close to him this season.

Thunder&Lightning
05-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Calvin will be awesome if hes healthy...

NY+Giants=NYG
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I will say Steve Smith (NYG). I think he is primed to break out, if one doesn't already count last years playoffs. That guy is clutch!