PDA

View Full Version : Daymeion Hughes

Gang Green
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Anyone else love to grab him with our first rounder? He is an INT magnet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ei4Vmg2kY

thule
02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Anyone else love to grab him with our first rounder? He is an INT magnet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r_Ei4Vmg2kY

He had a very poor showing at the combine..might even be available with your second round pick. He really looked like a cover 2 CB today.

derza222
02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure if we nab him with our seconds after his terrible combine today, maybe the second second but I'm not completely sold. If he's there in the third though...I think we nab him. Definitely in fourth if he slips that far for some reason, I mean he did run mid 4.6 range. I dunno with Hughes and I'm a bit confused right now, as much as his combine turned me off I see him on this team, smart guy, good instincts, great special teamer, seems to me like a guy who will make an impact on the team one way or another even if he's not a starter for us at corner.

Zim3031
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
He's a smart cornerback with excellent awareness, tackling ability, and a turnover machine. Our system doesn't require our cornerbacks to play single coverage man-to-man downfield, so his weaknesses will be covered up. I think he'd be an awesome fit.

nyjets5125
02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
i think he would be great, and his poor combine may have benefitted us, because now i could see him easily dropping to our 2a pick, and if we pass there maybe trade our 2b up a lil higher to mid round 2 to take him

nvot9
02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Absolutely not, I'd hate to have him on our team. He's got bust written all over him, and his combine outing was worse than even his toughest critics expected. I'd much rather not go for a CB in the draft at all actually, and instead, strongly pursue Samuel and Clements to the extent that we definitely get one of them.

josh07039
02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Samuel was franchised. ALso, I dont think Hughes is a likely bust, I think he is likely to be mediocre/good in our system.

derza222
02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Samuel was franchised. ALso, I dont think Hughes is a likely bust, I think he is likely to be mediocre/good in our system.

That's money right there. I wouldn't take him earlier than the third and even then I'd rather take him day 2 depending on who's available, but he's gonna be a solid corner and a great special teams guy, I'd love to have him here.

nyjets5125
02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Absolutely not, I'd hate to have him on our team. He's got bust written all over him, and his combine outing was worse than even his toughest critics expected. I'd much rather not go for a CB in the draft at all actually, and instead, strongly pursue Samuel and Clements to the extent that we definitely get one of them.

Samuel was franchised so we can't get him unless we match their really high offer (i believe is over 8 million for one year) and give up two first-round picks which i don't think anybody wants to do
As for Clements, the Jets would love to have him, but the problem is, so would many many teams around the NFL, he is by far the best free-agent CB available so far, and might be the only reliable CB in free agency, so he is going to end up signing for like Champ Bailey money, and i dont think Tannenbaum or Mangini would like to be in a bidding war, especially because Tannenbaum is known to not give high signing bonuses which is exactly what Clements will be commanding
Coming into the off-season we had a shot at both of those guys especially Saumel becuase he is on the record saying he would love to play for Mangini, and both of those guys would be HUGE for our defense, but once the Pats tagged Samuel that basically killed two birds with one stone, because then we weren't going to get Samuel becuase we are not willing to give up the money and picks, and we don't have a great shot at Clements because with Samuel off the market he willl command much higher dollar
I think every Jet fan will agree that they would have loved to have either, however it's not looking to good for that, so the draft might be our only answer unless we are willing to wait a year which i don't think we can afford to do, i guess all we can do is hope that Clements wants to play for us

nvot9
02-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Mmkay, this is just showing how little I know anymore about the NFL...

But still, I would hate to have Hughes, regardless.

El$anDollah
02-28-2007, 09:36 PM
He had a poor combine but would be a solid pick IF we fix the pass rush. Because of this, CB are in 1-1 situation and he would get picked apart. If we fix the pass rush, hes solid.

Gang Green
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I agree with what you are saying but I hate how so much depends on the combine. I think game tape is the most telling piece of information on a prospect, and he is a play maker. I would be ecstatic if he fell to 2A. Dezra, there is absolutely no way he gets past round 2.

hcbrad08
03-01-2007, 12:46 AM
I agree with what you are saying but I hate how so much depends on the combine. I think game tape is the most telling piece of information on a prospect, and he is a play maker. I would be ecstatic if he fell to 2A. Dezra, there is absolutely no way he gets past round 2.

He was good but so was their defense and they all played to jump routes in a 34 you have to stay at home and be able to play man and zone. Hughes also didn't lift well he'll be okay in the NFL as a nickle or #2 (maybe) but NFL WR are just plain freaks with speed and his quickness and speed were in question and he didn't prove people wrong if we can get him with 2b its not great value but decent. 3rd round a pretty good pick. I saw some film of Houston though and he reminds me a lot of asante samuel but quickerlook out for that pick in the second Dwayne Jarrett, Robert Meachem and Dwayne Bowe to a combined 14 catches for 168 yards and 1 touchdown. That;s telling me something.

derza222
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Scott has him around 70, which would put him in round 3...teams get scared off by slow corners. Remember when we drafted Derrick Strait in the third? He started the season as a top 10 guy, became a first rounder, and then dropped to the third all because of a lack of speed. Guys like that freefall sometimes, you can't say it's impossible.

Gang Green
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Scott Wright is usually wrong.

Scorch
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
If we get him with our first rounder, I'm jumping out the window. I'd maybe get him with our second rounder. That's still pushing it. I'd rather grab a guy like Josh Wilson or Chris Houston...in the second of course. I think we need to use our first rounder on other needs.

derza222
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Scott Wright is usually wrong.

If you read my post at all I elaborated more than just Scott's rankings, and Scott is usually pretty good. And for the post above mine, Houston will definitely not be there in the second, he probably won't be there at 25 even...

El$anDollah
03-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Chris Houston is a top 20 pick. If we were to go CB, I would rather have Josh Wilson or Tanard Jackson. WR today are physical freaks and Hughs just dosent have the tools to keep up.

TNewFan41
03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
He had a very poor showing at the combine..might even be available with your second round pick. He really looked like a cover 2 CB today.

More like 2nd day pick. He could be lucky to get drafted.

nyjets5125
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
More like 2nd day pick. He could be lucky to get drafted.
i am willing to bet almost anythign he gets drafted