PDA

View Full Version : Best Safety Duo

fenikz
05-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Which team do you think has the best duo of safeties in the league?

Here are my rankings

1. Indianapolis Colts
2. Baltimore Ravens
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Cleveland Browns

stephenson86
05-13-2008, 04:21 AM
tennessee should not be that low

chris hope is a fantastic safety and michael griffin played stellar in his rookie season at safety

they are easily top 15

Dam8610
05-13-2008, 04:24 AM
I can't help but be a homer here and go with the only safety duo to make the Pro Bowl last year. The best thing about Sanders and Bethea is they're 27 and 23 respectively.

lost33cause
05-13-2008, 04:30 AM
The browns are 5th?? That can only be some sort of homer pick or something, otherwise, I can't figure it out. Also, the Patriots are so high on your list for what reason? Just because the're the patriots doesn't mean they have good safeties. Pretty sure they lost a safety in FA.

I only see the bengals safeties as upgrades over the Williams/Jackson combo. I would rather have Chinedum(sp?)/White there. They showed over the last few games that we have a bright future in the secondary. I will allow the #32 pick for our safeties simply because they are unproven and they can only get better from there :)

Caddy
05-13-2008, 04:37 AM
I don't really feel like ranking the whole NFL, but I'm hoping that Tanard Jackson and Jermaine Phillips can improve on last season and become a top tandem in the NFL.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Gibril Wilson and Michael Huff are 23rd? I'm shocked.

stl9erfan
05-13-2008, 04:41 AM
The answer was probably Washington before the death of Sean Taylor. From a fans perspective, I'm disappointed I won't get to see him and Landry play together for a decade or so because that could've been something special.

Now? I'd go with the Ravens personally. Ed Reed and Dawan Landry are definitely quite a pair.

Addict
05-13-2008, 04:53 AM
The answer was probably Washington before the death of Sean Taylor. From a fans perspective, I'm disappointed I won't get to see him and Landry play together for a decade or so because that could've been something special.

Now? I'd go with the Ravens personally. Ed Reed and Dawan Landry are definitely quite a pair.

I just knew that was gonna come sooner rather than later. Point is, Taylor is in fact dead, so the Skins' safety tandem isn't that good anymore. Now if we can please stop bringing the same damn discussion to every single thread about safeties.

kmartin575
05-13-2008, 05:01 AM
I just knew that was gonna come sooner rather than later. Point is, Taylor is in fact dead, so the Skins' safety tandem isn't that good anymore. Now if we can please stop bringing the same damn discussion to every single thread about safeties.

Big freaking deal, get over it. If you don't like it then don't read it.

Yatta!
05-13-2008, 05:19 AM
So in fact that list just proves that there isn't a team with two dominant safeties, Philly is ranked 4th and there were a lot of mocks giving them Kenny Phillips. I think there's a number of teams you could make arguments for, mostly depending on who you believe to be the best safety in the league.

Also the Packers at 14, just proves how there is a distinct lack of good safety tandems - let alone great. Collins/Bigby are average, with the potential to improve atm.

Dam8610
05-13-2008, 05:25 AM
So in fact that list just proves that there isn't a team with two dominant safeties, Philly is ranked 4th and there were a lot of mocks giving them Kenny Phillips.

I'd say the Colts and Ravens both have dominant safety tandems. I believe both teams have had both of their starting safeties make the Pro Bowl, with one on each team sporting a DPOY.

jetsfan0099
05-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Jets are over the Pats, definitely. The Pats have like the worst safety tandem in the NFL. Harrison stinks now, he is slow and gets beat a lot. Kerry Rhodes alone gives us a better tandem. And we might have a surprise at the other side, supposingly we might play Lowery at S he might be good, otherwise I think Abram Elam is going to be good, he hits really hard and is a good blitzer and good at attacking the run.

Go_Eagles77
05-13-2008, 05:57 AM
I think the eagles are actually ranked a little high. Brian Dawkins is still great, but is in his mid 30s. Quintin Mikell isn't very well known, and he definitely is solid, but I think he's a top of the line backup and STer, not a starter.

Yatta!
05-13-2008, 06:05 AM
I'd say the Colts and Ravens both have dominant safety tandems. I believe both teams have had both of their starting safeties make the Pro Bowl, with one on each team sporting a DPOY.

My bad, i didn't realise Bethea had been to the Probowl. The Colts and Ravens would be my top ranked teams but I still wouldn't call Bethea or Landry (he hasn't been to a Probowl though) dominant.

Bills2083
05-13-2008, 06:34 AM
I actually think that the Bills are ranked a little high.
Whitner is pretty good, but we had a revolving door at the FS position last year. We had Simpson, then Leonhard, then Wilson/Scott. Even when Simpson is in there, I still dont think we are good enough to be placed at #8.
But that's just me :)

Also, the Jets should be ahead of the Pats. Rodney Harrison is just old and slow now.

Jakey
05-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Bathea is a beast...he is a perfect cover 2 FS! :)

Thunder&Lightning
05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Raiders should be ranked much higher...

the dude
05-13-2008, 08:17 AM
bucs should be higher imo. like 5-6-ish

bigbluedefense
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Ed Reed and Dawan Landry.

Pittsburgh could have a lethal one next year.

Jakey
05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Ed Reed and Dawan Landry.

Pittsburgh could have a lethal one next year.

Anthony Smith/Ryan Clark/Tyrone Carter/Ryan Mundy...which one???

Im assuming you mean Anthony Smith because he can lay the wood! He just needs to know when to support the run or not! :)

AllanO444
05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Chris Hope and Michael Griffin are the 27th best safety duo in the league??

Wow...

MaxV
05-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Bathea is a beast...he is a perfect cover 2 FS! :)

Yeap, he's a perfect compliment to Sanders.

Bethea's coverage skills allow Bob to do what he does best, which is be agressive.

bigbluedefense
05-13-2008, 09:35 AM

Im assuming you mean Anthony Smith because he can lay the wood! He just needs to know when to support the run or not! :)

Anthony Smith/Troy Polumalu

Pb&j
05-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I don't know about the browns being 5th, but I can see them being up there. Pool and Jones really started grooving together at the end of last season, and jones has 10 ints and about 3.5 sacks in the past two seasons. With the improved pass rush, who knows what can happen.

YAYareaRB
05-13-2008, 09:50 AM
The Raiders haven't even played with each other yet so IMO, they're where they're supposed to be.

eaglesalltheway
05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I also think the Eagles are a bit high, but with Dawk, the definitely deserve to be in the top 10. I'd put at least the Steelers in front of them. The Jets should also be higher, and the Pats are too high on the board. The Titans are also too low on the list if you ask me.

Geo
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Would have been Sean Taylor and Laron Landry, given other circumstances. Especially now, after finally canning Gregg Williams.

toddmlazarchick
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Would have been Sean Taylor and Laron Landry, given other circumstances. Especially now, after finally canning Gregg Williams.

I want to cry everytime i think of what those 2 could have done together

TheGreatEscape
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I really think Rolle and Wilson will be the top duo this year. If DMC comes on quick that secondary could be beastly.

CashmoneyDrew
05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
The Titans at 27 is a joke.

Geo
05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Agreed on the Titans, that's egregious.

How are the Falcons ahead of them, the Falcons haven't had a competent free safety in years.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-13-2008, 03:26 PM
The Raiders haven't even played with each other yet so IMO, they're where they're supposed to be.

Neither has the Giant's or the Viking's, and they're ranked markedly higher.

Sniper
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Neither has the Giant's or the Viking's, and they're ranked markedly higher.

Your improper use of apostrophes in places they do not go annoys me. Nowhere in the plural words Giants and Vikings is there anything demonstrating possession, so there is no need for an apostrophe. Sorry, major pet peeve of mine.

Back on topic, Philly is too high. While Dawkins still owns the free world, he has slowed a step and the SS position is a cause for concern.

keylime_5
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Tennessee should be near the top. Cleveland should be towards the bottom half. Vikings should be high too.

BeerBaron
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
lol, how did you rank the bears? i'm a huge fan and follow them all the time and i don't even know whos going to be playing safety there...

mike brown and ??? will start the season and once he inevitably gets hurt, ??? and ??? will be back there.

dan manning? brandon mcgowan? craig steltz? who knows!

Unbiased
05-13-2008, 04:13 PM

Clark should and probably will start. Anthony Smith is a heck of a backup and I love his intensity, but he gave up too many big pass plays last year. I look at Carter as Polamalu's backup and I don't see Mundy as anything more than a special teamer this year. He's also, best suited as a FS, so I'm not sure how he fits the team down the road.

BaLLiN
05-13-2008, 04:25 PM
HOMERISM:

Sammy Knight and Kenny Phillips

LonghornsLegend
05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
I can't help but be a homer here and go with the only safety duo to make the Pro Bowl last year.

You must of forgot about Dallas safeties, granted I don't know how one of them went and of course that doesn't make our duo good or anything, but regardless we had a safety duo make the pro bowl.

I like the Colts and Ravens at the top, probably favor the Colts a little more because Bethea is better then Landry imho, but you can't go wrong with either tandem.

Unbiased
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
You must of forgot about Dallas safeties, granted I don't know how one of them went and of course that doesn't make our duo good or anything, but regardless we had a safety duo make the pro bowl.

I like the Colts and Ravens at the top, probably favor the Colts a little more because Bethea is better then Landry imho, but you can't go wrong with either tandem.

Williams went as a result of Taylor's death.

niel89
05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Ravens are a solid. Zib should help push Landry and finally give us some depth

GermanSaint
05-13-2008, 05:32 PM
we should be last

SuperMcGee
05-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I actually think that the Bills are ranked a little high.
Whitner is pretty good, but we had a revolving door at the FS position last year. We had Simpson, then Leonhard, then Wilson/Scott. Even when Simpson is in there, I still dont think we are good enough to be placed at #8.
But that's just me :)

Also, the Jets should be ahead of the Pats. Rodney Harrison is just old and slow now.

That was my inital reaction, too.
Donte is a stud, arguably the best player on our defense (challenging Schobel and Crowell), and Ko I still like a lot, good talent and his style should mesh very well with what Whitner does from his spot. But it's tough to see us that high with Ko missing a year and only having a rookie year to go on.

AkiliSmith
05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Some people just love to hate on the Bengals. They are nowhere near the best, but they are nowhere near the worst either.

Ndukwe played VERY well last season, and Marvin White showed a ton of promise in the limited action he saw.

Addict
05-13-2008, 06:03 PM

yeah, because the pro bowl isnīt bias towards certain players...

oh, wait

The Legend
05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Ravens & Colts both have good back ups

Ravens Back Ups
Nakamura
Zbikowski
Leonhard

Colts Back Ups
Giordano
Condren
Silva

fenikz
05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
lol I should of just stopped at 5 then you people would stop being homers, this was a thread to argue who was the best safety duo not who deserves to be in the top 20

The reason I went with the Colts #1 is because when Sanders is healthy I believe he the best DB in the league. No one can change a game like him and Bethea is a perfect compliment and is growing into his own as a superstar as well.

I believe by the end of this year though that Arizona could pass them up, Rolle in 2 games playing the safety role had 5 picks and 3 Touchdowns(should of been 4 but the Ref made an idiot call) and it's hard to argue agianst Wilson being one of the top strong safeties in the league

21ST
05-13-2008, 06:25 PM

Its crazy what those 2 could have done together. Especially given the fact that Landry is already one of the best DB's in the leauge.

Chucky
05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Its crazy what those 2 could have done together. Especially given the fact that Landry is already one of the best DB's in the leauge.

Landry is definitely not one of the best DB's in the league, he might get there one day but he definitely isnt there yet.

21ST
05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Landry is definitely not one of the best DB's in the league, he might get there one day but he definitely isnt there yet.

Actually i meant Safety's my fault

LonghornsLegend
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
yeah, because the pro bowl isnīt bias towards certain players...

oh, wait

Yea, because I didn't notice that, or recognize that in my post:rolleyes:

I was just responding to the only safety duo to make the pro bowl, I didn't say anything about deservedly, or bias, or anything else you assumed I did.

PACKmanN
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Buffalo Safeties should get some respect.

Geo
05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Ravens & Colts both have good back ups

Ravens Back Ups
Nakamura
Zbikowski
Leonhard

Colts Back Ups
Giordano
Condren
Silva
Some team is going to snap up Giordano next offseason when he is a FA, I'm sure. He's got crazy athleticism.

However the best safety on the Colts roster who isn't starting is Melvin Bullitt imo. Do not sleep on this cat, I really believe. UDFA out of Texas A&M last year and I've just got a good feeling about this guy, he's looked really good whenever he's been in. 6' 1", 200 lbs. with sub 4.5 speed, has range on the field, and can lay a lick.

Sniper
05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Actually i meant Safety's my fault

Safeties, not safety's. Christ spelling and grammar are awesome. There's no need for random apostrophes in plural words.

Unbiased
05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Safeties, not safety's. Christ spelling and grammar are awesome. There's no need for random apostrophes in plural words.

I like the comma after "Christ."

Sniper
05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I like the comma after "Christ."

The poor grammar rubbed off on me.

Unbiased
05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
The poor grammar rubbed off on me.

Needs an exclamation mark instead of a period.

DragonFireKai
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Needs an exclamation mark instead of a period.

Go-Go Gadget Grammer Nazi!

TitanHope
05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Its cool to see the Titans safeties get some love. Chris Hope is a stud SS who can lay the hammer and has good ball skills. We'll see how well he does after his injury - he should be ok though. Michael Griffin was an impact player the moment he set foot on the football field, and it didn't matter what position he was at; He excelled at FS, CB, and Gunner. Jeff Fisher doesn't usually play rookies unless he absolutely has to because of the situation (Vince Young's case) or is forced to by their play (Griffin's case). Plus, there's solid, experienced depth behind them in SS Calvin Lowry and FS Vincent Fuller. SS Donnie Nickey is also a special teams ace, and Griffin would be the best Gunner in the league if Fisher wasn't worried that he'd tire himself with multiple duties.

In terms of starting talent, depth, and special teams play, I'd say the Titans are Top 10 at worst. One thing is for certain though. The Safety Trio of LaRon Landry, Michael Griffin, and Reggie Nelson from the '07 Draft Class may be the best group to come out in a while.

Go-Go Gadget Grammer Nazi!

*grammar :P

Hwoarang
05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Was Washington..

Yung Flippa
05-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Was Washington..

Without a doubt. That combo would have dominated for years.

Dam8610
05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Was Washington..

Do we really need to see this over and over again? Yes, everyone knows the Redskins had a fantastic safety tandem (and it should've been since they spent 2 Top 10 picks on it), but Sean Taylor is dead now, so they don't have that anymore. It's not necessary to beat a dead horse here (no pun intended).

CashmoneyDrew
05-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Its cool to see the Titans safeties get some love. Chris Hope is a stud SS who can lay the hammer and has good ball skills. We'll see how well he does after his injury - he should be ok though. Michael Griffin was an impact player the moment he set foot on the football field, and it didn't matter what position he was at; He excelled at FS, CB, and Gunner. Jeff Fisher doesn't usually play rookies unless he absolutely has to because of the situation (Vince Young's case) or is forced to by their play (Griffin's case). Plus, there's solid, experienced depth behind them in SS Calvin Lowry and FS Vincent Fuller. SS Donnie Nickey is also a special teams ace, and Griffin would be the best Gunner in the league if Fisher wasn't worried that he'd tire himself with multiple duties.

In terms of starting talent, depth, and special teams play, I'd say the Titans are Top 10 at worst. One thing is for certain though. The Safety Trio of LaRon Landry, Michael Griffin, and Reggie Nelson from the '07 Draft Class may be the best group to come out in a while.

*grammar :P

...indeed...