PDA

View Full Version : Phillips to wear #21 to Honor Taylor

thebow305
05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I just saw on NFL Network, as reported by Adam Schefter, that Giants rookie S Kenny Phillips will wear #21. This is the number previously worn by Tiki Barber as we all know. Schefter says this is significant because he wants to honor the late Pro Bowl safety Sean Taylor. Phillips never actually met Taylor but feels compelled to do this.

I was already a big fan of Phillips, being a Miami fan and all, but now this makes him my favorite Defensive Player in the NFL now. Taylor was and will always be my favorite player, but now I am a life-long Kenny Phillips supporter!

Go #21

Thoughts, Comments?

princefielder28
05-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Supprting the Miami(FL) family and I think it's a nice move

bigbluedefense
05-13-2008, 10:19 AM
forget all of that, i just want him to play like Sean Taylor (RIP).

thebow305
05-13-2008, 10:33 AM

That would be very nice to see. I'll be rooting for him for sure!

SaintsFanForLife
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I think this is a nice thing he is doing. Nice to see people have not forgotten Sean Taylor.RIP

NY+Giants=NYG
05-13-2008, 10:56 AM

You should have read comments on Extremeskins, early on, when their fans found out. They were ripping on him for that saying he should wear number 10.5. Interesting thread on that site.

bored of education
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
That is awesome.

bigbluedefense
05-13-2008, 11:04 AM
You should have read comments on Extremeskins, early on, when their fans found out. They were ripping on him for that saying he should wear number 10.5. Interesting thread on that site.

extremeskins might have the dumbest collection of fans on the internet. unless theres a dallas website that trumps them, which is a strong possibility.

so far so good with Phillips, ive heard he's been lookin real good in minicamp.

energizerbunny
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
hard to believe he never met him with so many former Miami players going back to train there.

Jughead10
05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm looking to somehow convert my Tiki Barber jersey into a Phillips jersey.

bigbluedefense
05-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm looking to somehow convert my Tiki Barber jersey into a Phillips jersey.

i thought you didnt like Phillips?

Splat
05-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats cool in my book.

Jughead10
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
i thought you didnt like Phillips?

I wasn't crazy about the pick, but I wouldn't say I don't like him. He just wouldn't have been my choice, but he is a Giant now and therefore I embrace him. I certainly like him more than I do Tiki at this point. I wouldn't purchase a Phillips jersey but I've heard you can sometimes buy just the name plates for the back of jerseys. If I can somehow get one to put over Barber's name and have it look somewhat good, I'm going to do it.

703SKINS202
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Thats a really nice gesture, sucks I can't really root for the kid.

djp
05-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Kid's going to be a solid pro IMO. Has some weight to put on and needs to become more disciplined, but he has a lot of tools that NFL teams covet. I think teams were just scared off by his lack of production but Miami was just awful last season and by no means was it KP's fault.

He'll never be Sean Taylor.. but we will never see another safety with the skill set of what Sean Taylor had. He had the potential to be the greatest safety who ever played... Scott himself said that Taylor was the best defensive prospect he'd ever scouted.

21ST
05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I doubt the real reason he is wearing it is to honor sean because alot of players that went to miami wear 21 because the 21st letter of the alphabet is
"U". but it sounds nice and it sucks we gotta go against this guy for probly the next decade, hes gonna be a beast.

Jughead10
05-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I doubt the real reason he is wearing it is to honor sean because alot of players that went to miami wear 21 because the 21st letter of the alphabet is
"U". but it sounds nice and it sucks we gotta go against this guy for probly the next decade, hes gonna be a beast.

He also wore #1 in college. So #21 seems like a logical choice. We all figured he would wear 21 as soon as he was drafted.

LonghornsLegend
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I really like Phillips, I thought he would of made for a good pick at 28 for us, ironic that we will have to face him twice a year now to see how he ends up...He is probably going to play FS, but I liked him at SS in alot of defensive schemes because he can hit hard, support the run and tackle well, but he has very good coverage skills and I think he can be a playmaker in the secondary...He has a good work ethic, and he loves to study film, I think he will end up being a very good starting NFL safety.

21ST
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
He also wore #1 in college. So #21 seems like a logical choice. We all figured he would wear 21 as soon as he was drafted.

Yeah its pretty much a given if you went to Miami and you can where the number you get it.

Sean Taylor(RIP)

Antrell Rolle

Frank Gore

Willis mcgahee was 21 in Buffalo but not anymore

kelly jennings

im probly missing a few

bigbluedefense
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I really like Phillips, I thought he would of made for a good pick at 28 for us, ironic that we will have to face him twice a year now to see how he ends up...He is probably going to play FS, but I liked him at SS in alot of defensive schemes because he can hit hard, support the run and tackle well, but he has very good coverage skills and I think he can be a playmaker in the secondary...He has a good work ethic, and he loves to study film, I think he will end up being a very good starting NFL safety.

Ironic, bc i wanted Mike Jenkins on the Giants so bad and was pissed when the Cowboys got him haha :).

You guys always draft players i like. In the first round at least.

I also wanted Cason real bad and was pissed when SD took him. I <3 Cason. </3.

Thunder&Lightning
05-13-2008, 02:41 PM
mad props to phillips for this. Just shows how far his character has come.

skinzzfan25
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Nice, good for him.

Too bad I still can't root for him :P

Bills2083
05-13-2008, 03:06 PM

10.5?
I'm not understanding this...

NY+Giants=NYG
05-13-2008, 03:24 PM
10.5?
I'm not understanding this...

What's 10.5 + 10.5?
Basically some skins fan was saying that he is or won't even be half the safety ST will be. So instead of wearing # 21 give him 10.5, half of it.

TheGreatEscape
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
YAY!!! . . . Not yay? . . . no, my bad.

scottyboy
05-13-2008, 05:40 PM
jug, I've seen guys with duct tape over the nameplate and wrote "Jacobs" over their Ron Dayne(uggh) jerseys.

I thought of doing the same with Ross on my Sehorn jersey, but I love my some Sehorn.

I'm thinking of doing that for Phillips on my Tiki jersey though...

703SKINS202
05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
What's 10.5 + 10.5?
Basically some skins fan was saying that he is or won't even be half the safety ST will be. So instead of wearing # 21 give him 10.5, half of it.

I know it sounds dumb and childish but you gotta think of it this way, what if LT was murdered back in the day and some Skin comin out wore his number to respect him? You don't think there would be a set group of immature giants fan who would react the same? Im only 20 but from what I have seen Sean Taylor was the most loved Redskin of our generation. Darrell Green was the last one but for us younger skins fans ST meant the world to us.

RIP

scottyboy
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I know it sounds dumb and childish but you gotta think of it this way, what if LT was murdered back in the day and some Skin comin out wore his number to respect him? You don't think there would be a set group of immature giants fan who would react the same? Im only 20 but from what I have seen Sean Taylor was the most loved Redskin of our generation. Darrell Green was the last one but for us younger skins fans ST meant the world to us.

RIP

well, LT is the greatest LB of all time and perhaps greatest defender. there's a bit of a difference. And Kenny is a "U" safety. There's a long line of excellent "U" safeties and it's like a brotherhood. Kenny talked of how Reed and Merriweather came back and helped/talked to him. If none of "the U" brotherhood feels it's wrong, then no whiny skins fan should. If he went to a team outside the NFC East it'd be "Man, that Kenny Phillips is awesome. Respecting Taylor like that. He's the man"

LonghornsLegend
05-13-2008, 06:16 PM

RIP

But it's not like he's wearing #21 for the Redskins though, its the Giants, so I dont get why they would be upset...It's not like they can retire #21 from every team at the safety position.

703SKINS202
05-13-2008, 06:17 PM
well, LT is the greatest LB of all time and perhaps greatest defender. there's a bit of a difference. And Kenny is a "U" safety. There's a long line of excellent "U" safeties and it's like a brotherhood. Kenny talked of how Reed and Merriweather came back and helped/talked to him. If none of "the U" brotherhood feels it's wrong, then no whiny skins fan should. If he went to a team outside the NFC East it'd be "Man, that Kenny Phillips is awesome. Respecting Taylor like that. He's the man"

Theres no difference because: I made the LT comparison cause he is the most recent Giants legend and to Skins fans Sean Taylor was that too, and many thought he was going to be a hall of famer and he probably was. The level of play has no meaning its the fact that they were idolized so greatly amongst their fans. So to see his life cut down so short then have a giants rookie step in and throw on 21 in honor just offends them for some reason. It doesn't offend me, but I see their point, they still just are having a tough time dealing with the loss.

703SKINS202
05-13-2008, 06:19 PM
But it's not like he's wearing #21 for the Redskins though, its the Giants, so I dont get why they would be upset...It's not like they can retire #21 from every team at the safety position.

It's a small majority who feel this way I'm just tryna defend them or more so state their feelings on the matter. I'm cool with it but others aren't cause he's a Giant.

21ST
05-13-2008, 06:29 PM
What's 10.5 + 10.5?

Thats just emotions talking

PoopSandwich
05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Phillips to NYG was the only pick I bothered predicting (Besides Long to Dolphins but I don't think thats too big of a deal.)

Good for Kenny Phillips, I hope we (The Browns) tear the Giants pass D up though ;)

NY+Giants=NYG
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, but to the defense of the KP, some skins fans on the board did rip the majority of it. They basically said, acting as the voice of reason, that just because ST died does't mean the # 21 is banned or anything. They, also, mentioned how some skins fans are now finding or stretching new ways to get offended. And these are comments by some of the other skins fans on the thread. But either way, I thought it was interesting how SOME reacted the way they did over him wanting to wear # 21, which if anything, should be OUR fans, who liked Tiki, be reacting in a negative way.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I find it hard to believe he didn't meet Sean. I'm sure he had at least shaken his hand or spoke to him.

YAYareaRB
05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I find it hard to believe he didn't meet Sean. I'm sure he had at least shaken his hand or spoke to him.

I don't think he would lie about not meeting ST.

I think this a very honorable thing to do and to all the disgruntled 'skins fans, let him honor his BROTHER.

BaLLiN
05-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I really think Kenny should start, and if i see James Butler out on the field unless its special teams, im going to be pissed

o M4VERICK o
05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
this is just a perfect example that good people still exist and they are just that people not just football player classy move ad its good to hear this instead of the usual news about cheating of arrests

Redskins4Bowl26
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM

As much as I would hate that I wouldn't exactly mind it as wierd as that sounds.

Sean Taylor was bringing a new name to the Safety position and anchored our defense. Shame to see one of my favorite players ever go so early.

TimD
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
jug, I've seen guys with duct tape over the nameplate and wrote "Jacobs" over their Ron Dayne(uggh) jerseys.

I thought of doing the same with Ross on my Sehorn jersey, but I love my some Sehorn.

I'm thinking of doing that for Phillips on my Tiki jersey though...

I actually sowed a green piece of material with B. Smith over my old Testeverde jersey. it looks pretty good.

asmitty45
05-14-2008, 08:53 PM
a classy move by philips, repping the U brotherhood

Nitschke-Hawk
05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't think he would lie about not meeting ST.

I think this a very honorable thing to do and to all the disgruntled 'skins fans, let him honor his BROTHER.

I'm not saying he's lying. But The U is known as a family, I'm sure Sean was in the building at least once when he was, Kenny does seem like a shy guy though, he could have sought out his company. That's all I'm getting at.