PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson vs Anthony Gonzalez

AtariBigby
05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Who's seen enough K-State games and Buckeye games to offer an accurate comparison of these two guys.

All the experts I talk to compare Jordy to Gonzalez, but speed aside, I didn't see Gonzalez make nearly as many (explosive) plays as Nelson did, despite Ginn getting all the best coverage usually.

JORDY NELSON
POSITIVES: Intelligent, dependable pass-catcher coming off a breakout season. Displays outstanding awareness, always on the same page as his quarterback, and works hard to be productive. Displays adequate sharpness running routes, plays with excellent body control, and nicely extends to make the reception away from his frame. Comes across the middle of the field to find the soft spot, easily makes the reception in stride, and uses his frame to shield away opponents. Effective running after the reception and works hard as a blocker.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the second gear and not a receiver who stretches the defense.

ANALYSIS: After an outstanding senior campaign, Nelson is watching his draft stock soar. He is drawing comparisons to Anthony Gonzalez, the Indianapolis Colts first-round pick in 2007. Nelson has a polished game and should quickly produce at the next level.

Caddy
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
What experts are you talking to? and does the comparison have anything to do with skin colour?

foozball
their games are completely different

nelson profiles as a possession receiver because of his size and his steady hands. gonzo is a smaller slot guy who relies on speed and agility. not sure if the comparison was to make a point in how each had their stock soar, or if they actually think that the two are similar.

sodar21
What an absurd comparison.

Turtlepower
05-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, as 24 said above, besides their skin color they are two completely different kinds of receivers. Your experts are idiots. =P

yourfavestoner
05-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Jordyz and Gonzales are about as similar as Wes Welker and Ed McAffrey are.

johbur
05-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Jordyz and Gonzales are about as similar as Wes Welker and Ed McAffrey are.

Apt description, but Nelson is not just a possession receiver. Look at him as a return man and how many opposing players couldn't get to him. 4.47 speed at 215 pounds is NFL quality for athleticism.

LonghornsLegend
05-15-2008, 12:05 AM
U make the weirdest threads.

adschofield
05-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz, as its spelled here on NFLDC, is best suited for the bench because he'll never be able to seperate from NFL CBs

Paranoidmoonduck
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
They are nothing alike as pass catchers.

bored of education
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Its like Martin Short and Rodney Dangerfield(this guy being Gonzo)

MetSox17
05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
How they compare: They're white. They play WR. They have hands, legs, arms and a head.

How they contrast: Everything else.

Woody56
05-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz, as its spelled here on NFLDC, is best suited for the bench because he'll never be able to seperate from NFL CBs

seperated pretty easily from aqib talib

MetSox17
05-15-2008, 01:28 AM

Jacques Reeves > Aqib Talib

Turtlepower
05-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Every CB has been beat. People need to get over 1 play to judge a player's entire NFL career.

Caddy
05-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Jacques Reeves > Aqib Talib

My sig and I resent that statement.

MetSox17
05-15-2008, 01:44 AM
My sig and I resent that statement.

Lol, well i can't complain, cause you all having Talib that high helped us land Mike Jenkins :D

Caddy
05-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Lol, well i can't complain, cause you all having Talib that high helped us land Mike Jenkins :D

I guess the feeling in Tampa was that Talib was better suited to playing as a cover guy than a man guy. Plus he is more of a 'playmaker' than Jenkins and BA really wanted somebody like him playing in the secondary.

MetSox17
05-15-2008, 02:01 AM
I guess the feeling in Tampa was that Talib was better suited to playing as a cover guy than a man guy. Plus he is more of a 'playmaker' than Jenkins and BA really wanted somebody like him playing in the secondary.

Yeah, that'll pretty much sum it up. Which is totally cool with me though, i'm just glad Jenkins is a Cowboy.

But still, Jordyz did do Talib pretty dirty..

Caddy
05-15-2008, 05:15 AM
But still, Jordyz did do Talib pretty dirty..

Lucky Tampa runs a 'Bend but don't break' defense then!

badgerbacker
05-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Lucky Tampa runs a 'Bend but don't break' defense then!I'd say Jordy did more than bend Aqib. He bent him over and then proceeded to break him.

AtariBigby
05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
What experts are you talking to? and does the comparison have anything to do with skin colour?

The one I posted came from The Sporting News or Sports Illustrated, so someone reputable compared to just a regular poster like you or I who don't have access to scouts, GMs and unlimited gamefilm.

(We don't put the u in "color" here in America, but we do use the 'z' in words such as organization and realize, unlike the UK and Canada change the 'z' to an 's' always for some funny reason.......) :D

AtariBigby
05-15-2008, 08:37 AM

So then Aqib Talib is not an NFL CB, because that was separation like you rarely see a WR do to a CB.

energizerbunny
05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
totally different players. There actually is no similarities in their games.... Nelson is a big Split End/Flanker and Gonzo will make his living in the slot in the nfl

Caddy
05-15-2008, 09:05 AM
The one I posted came from The Sporting News or Sports Illustrated, so someone reputable compared to just a regular poster like you or I who don't have access to scouts, GMs and unlimited gamefilm.

(We don't put the u in "color" here in America, but we do use the 'z' in words such as organization and realize, unlike the UK and Canada change the 'z' to an 's' always for some funny reason.......) :D

There is a reason they call it the English language. Yeah that's right, it was developed in England so one could make the conclusion that the English way of spelling words is more correct and the American way is incorrect. :rolleyes:

Sniper
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
There is a reason they call it the English language. Yeah that's right, it was developed in England so one could make the conclusion that the English way of spelling words is more correct and the American way is incorrect. :rolleyes:

Git outta here boy....Down hurr in America we speak American goddammit...You and your "Englishhhhh" can get the hell outta here.

I write in the Queen's English sometimes too, what with being from Canada and what not.

Caddy
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Git outta here boy....Down hurr in America we speak American goddammit...You and your "Englishhhhh" can get the hell outta here.

I write in the Queen's English sometimes too, what with being from Canada and what not.

Us Commonwealthians have got to stick together.

keylime_5
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Gonzo was in a stacked WR class consisting of Johnson, Ginn, Meachum, C.Davis, and himself all be first round picks. Jordy was in a draft w/ 0 first round WRs. They are a lot different, except they're both white I guess.

Brent
05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
another fantastic thread brought to you by AtariBigby

Gay Ork Wang
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Thats Blasphemy!!! U cant compare the One above All, the Human Savior and next Messiah Jordy with anyone!

TheGreatEscape
05-15-2008, 11:04 AM

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Sportsfan486
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Or we could just conclude that the English are crazy *******s and we took the crazy out of their language.

Yeah, let's conclude that instead.

LonghornsLegend
05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I'd say Jordy did more than bend Aqib. He bent him over and then proceeded to break him.

That's why Talib went to the perfect system, he won't ever have to turn and run with a WR 60 yards, he is keeping everything in front of him in the Tampa 2 and he is probably going to be a pro bowler in that system...I couldn't stand Talib, but only in our system where we require guys to play man to man alot, he's perfect in Tampa so that play where Jordy burned him really means nothing...He's a cover 2 corner.

Race for the Heisman
05-15-2008, 05:37 PM
totally different players. There actually is no similarities in their games.... Nelson is a big Split End/Flanker and Gonzo will make his living in the slot in the nfl

While I agree with your assertion on the physical dissimilarities, I think Gonzalez would be fine on the outside. He even had his best game there last year, I believe, although it was against Corey Ivy (again, I believe).

indyfan1985
05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Apt description, but Nelson is not just a possession receiver. Look at him as a return man and how many opposing players couldn't get to him. 4.47 speed at 215 pounds is NFL quality for athleticism.

I think Gonzalez was a 4:35 speed guy and I would take Gonzo over Nelson any day. Gonzo is a much more polished WR and is similar to Wes Welker only with more speed and agility.

LonghornsLegend
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
While I agree with your assertion on the physical dissimilarities, I think Gonzalez would be fine on the outside. He even had his best game there last year, I believe, although it was against Corey Ivy (again, I believe).

Yes he did have a very good game when he moved outside to the 2 spot, I thought he would make a living in the slot and while he makes for a good fit there, I don't think thats his best case scenario, I think he can be great outside of Wayne, he is very smart, runs excellent routes and has great hand, I was very impressed with what he showed me last year and you have to believe he still has alot of potential left.

TheBuffaloBills
05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I cant stand comparisons based on appearance..... Jordy Nelson to Wes Welker is awful....

I also saw a Yvenson Bernard to Steven Jackson comparison..... Just because they have dreads and go to the same school doesnt make them similar.

AtariBigby
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
another fantastic thread brought to you by AtariBigby

another fanstatic post brought to us by BrentN.
nothing to say? add to your post count anyway right Brent!

Caddy
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Or we could just conclude that the English are crazy *******s and we took the crazy out of their language.

Yeah, let's conclude that instead.

Whatever makes you sleep at night. :D

AtariBigby
05-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I think Gonzalez was a 4:35 speed guy and I would take Gonzo over Nelson any day. Gonzo is a much more polished WR and is similar to Wes Welker only with more speed and agility.

Who knows.... I do know that the scouting thing I saw that I posted at the beginning, didn't it say that Jordy Nelson was more polished?

I have no idea which is why I asked.

We didn't think the Packers would be taking this guy and I never saw Kansas State play. I've read all I can about this kids since we picked him and I like him, but I've seen him compared to Dwight Clark, Ed McCaffrey, and now Anthony Gonzalez.

Once I see him play for the Packers, I will be the judge of who he compares to I guess, since now everyone disagrees with each other.

Is there a non-white guy any Big-12 fans could compare Jordy to accurately?
Al Toon?
Art Monk?
Sterling Sharpe?
Michael Irvin?

Babylon
05-15-2008, 08:57 PM
I love how people jump on the company line about there being no comparison because their white. Will someone get some new freaking material. They're both possession receivers with great hands and deceptive speed. Neither is going to be a #1 guy at the pro level and both seem to be class acts and good teammates, why not compare them.

As far as comparing them i think Gonzo might be a little quicker out of his cuts and Nelson would give you more in yards after the catch.

Caddy
05-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I love how people jump on the company line about there being no comparison because their white. Will someone get some new freaking material. They're both possession receivers with great hands and deceptive speed. Neither is going to be a #1 guy at the pro level and both seem to be class acts and good teammates, why not compare them.

As far as comparing them i think Gonzo might be a little quicker out of his cuts and Nelson would give you more in yards after the catch.

I would not really call Gonzalez a possession receiver at all and he definitely fits that slot type role much better. And to say that he has "deceptive speed" is a little bit of a cop out considering he is a sub 4.4 runner; something Jordy isn't and never will be.

I do agree with the personality similarity though, but there playing styles are vastly different.

LonghornsLegend
05-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Is there a non-white guy any Big-12 fans could compare Jordy to accurately?

Why does he have to compare to a non white guy?

And do you have a link that shows where a real scout compared these two?

SenorGato
05-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Exactly.

These guys are similar in alot of ways. Both are well built WRs with the ability to gain YAC.

The biggest difference is how they get those YAC. Nelson is the bigger and more physical of the two, while Gonzalez is a quicker and shiftier.

LonghornsLegend
05-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Exactly.

These guys are similar in alot of ways. Both are well built WRs with the ability to gain YAC.

The biggest difference is how they get those YAC. Nelson is the bigger and more physical of the two, while Gonzalez is a quicker and shiftier.

Yea but they are completely different in ALOT more ways...If you want to nitpick and find a few things as small as "both have ability to gain YAC" then I could argue that Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker are the same too...

"Both are well built"? What kind of comparison is that? Jordy is 6'3 and 220, he is a long strider, he doesn't move well in short space, and he is huge compared to Gonzalez who is 6'0 190, is alot quicker with better agility, works well in small spaces.

Trying to reach for things like "both are well built", and "both get good YAC" are not comparisons what so ever...If that's the best you can come up with that just further proves you don't need to be comparing these two players.

SenorGato
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Yea but they are completely different in ALOT more ways...If you want to nitpick and find a few things as small as "both have ability to gain YAC" then I could argue that Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker are the same too...

"Both are well built"? What kind of comparison is that? Jordy is 6'3 and 220, he is a long strider, he doesn't move well in short space, and he is huge compared to Gonzalez who is 6'0 190, is alot quicker with better agility, works well in small spaces.

Trying to reach for things like "both are well built", and "both get good YAC" are not comparisons what so ever...If that's the best you can come up with that just further proves you don't need to be comparing these two players.

True...but if I'm a team I see two guys who can play the same exact roles in my offense...to me it's a matter of whether you want the big physical WR or the small shifty WR.

They're basically two guys with different body types and skillsets who can play similar roles within an NFL offense.

Sniper
05-16-2008, 05:34 AM
I would not really call Gonzalez a possession receiver at all and he definitely fits that slot type role much better. And to say that he has "deceptive speed" is a little bit of a cop out considering he is a sub 4.4 runner; something Jordy isn't and never will be.

I do agree with the personality similarity though, but there playing styles are vastly different.

He has "deceptive speed" because he's not black. Have you ever heard of any white guy being a real "blazer"? Kevin Curtis runs a sub 4.3 but you never hear him tossed around as the fastest player in the league because he's got "deceptive" speed.

SimonRath
05-16-2008, 08:40 AM
AtariBigby's next post..

"All the experts I talk to like to compare Brian Brohm to Jamarcus Russell, but skin color aside, I didnt see Brohm eat as many meals as Russell does.."

Babylon
05-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Gonzo ran a 4.44 at the combine and Nelson a best of 4.49, i dont see much differance in that area.

sodar21
05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Gonzo ran a 4.44 at the combine and Nelson a best of 4.49, i dont see much differance in that area.

If I'm not mistaken Gonzo dominated the other drills. I think he had a combine best short shuttle.

LonghornsLegend
05-16-2008, 11:49 AM

Again Jordy is a long strider, also Jordy's 3 cone drill was 7.03, Gonzo's was 6.54...These guys are not similiar, if you dig deep enough YES you can find a few things that might be similiar, but they shouldn't be compared.

Babylon
05-16-2008, 01:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken Gonzo dominated the other drills. I think he had a combine best short shuttle.

I was commenting on the sub 4.4 comment, which is inaccurate.

JT Jag
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
There is a reason they call it the English language. Yeah that's right, it was developed in England so one could make the conclusion that the English way of spelling words is more correct and the American way is incorrect. :rolleyes:I thought English was from New England...

>.> <.<

Bengals78
05-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I thought English was from New England...

>.> <.<

According to ESPN it is...not saying ESPN has an east coast bias or nothin...

I dont like the Jordy to Gonzo comparison. One is a slot the other a possession guy.
Jordy almost reminds me of TJ from the Bengals. Real physical works to get YAC and really reliable hands. Both have "deceptive" speed. And neither are really too shifty.

Addict
05-16-2008, 03:11 PM
How they compare: They're white. They play WR. They have hands, legs, arms and a head.

How they contrast: Everything else.

they both have little hair!

Caddy
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I thought English was from New England...

>.> <.<

To have a New England you have to have an old one. :)

Sniper
05-16-2008, 09:51 PM
To have a New England you have to have an old one. :)

Yeah, what now JT Jag?