PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs OTAs/camps discussion

Splat
05-15-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/05/06/arbys_minicamp_gives_fans_first_look_at_chiefs/

Chiefs fans will get their first look at the 2008 Kansas City Chiefs at the team’s annual Arby’s Chiefs Mini-Camp (http://www.kcchiefs.com/arbys/) scheduled for Saturday, June 7th inside Arrowhead Stadium. The team will practice and offer activities for the entire family all of which are open to the public and FREE.

Fans can pick up a complimentary ticket at any of the Kansas City Metro area Arby’s locations. Parking is FREE with lots opening at 9:30 AM, Stadium gates will open at 10:30 AM and the Chiefs will take the field for practice from approximately 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM.
Arrowhead Stadium will have a festive atmosphere for the Arby’s Chiefs Mini Camp. Players will greet fans following practice.

There will also be appearances by the 2008 Chiefs Cheerleaders and KC Wolf who will be signing autographs and posing with fans for pictures. Potential Season-Ticket Holders will have the opportunity to “Select Your Seat” by purchasing season tickets for the upcoming 2008 season.

T-RICH49
05-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm planning on going again anyone else going?

Splat
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm planning on going again anyone else going?

I'm so there this will be my 3rd year unless work gets in the way.

vidae
05-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm going to try my damnedest to get there this year.

bored of education
05-15-2008, 11:54 PM
One year I will be there

Splat
05-16-2008, 08:57 AM
FYI you may or may not need a ticket it is FREE but they would like you to get one of the free tickets I have seen people walk in with out but have heard of others being turned away.

I'm not going to take a chance.

T-RICH49
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I've always gotten in without a ticket but like you said may not take a chance and go ahead and get a ticket

Thorny
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
FYI you may or may not need a ticket it is FREE but they would like you to get one of the free tickets I have seen people walk in with out but have heard of others being turned away.

I'm not going to take a chance.

Well Crap....I was planning on going but I don't live anywhere near the KC area. I actually live in Oklahoma. Anyways does anyone know if I'll still be able to get those tickets the day of the Mini-Camp?

Splat
05-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Anyways does anyone know if I'll still be able to get those tickets the day of the Mini-Camp?

I would think so if you click the link it gives a list of all the Arby's you can get them at.

I really don't think they will turn people away but I would hate to see some one drive along ways and not get in.

Splat
05-19-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2...m_edwards__519/ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2...m_edwards__519/)

Q: Did you have Branden Albert working at left tackle?
EDWARDS: Yep. Left tackle.”

Q: Where was McIntosh?
EDWARDS: “He’s at the right tackle. We’re pretty big on our offensive line all of a sudden when you look at us. They look good. We’ll see.”

BPhilb
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Interesting. I guess we may as well see what he has early, if he can handle LT from Day 1 our line will be much better. I guess we have set the bar pretty low though.

Zbikowski_9
05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Interesting. I guess we may as well see what he has early, if he can handle LT from Day 1 our line will be much better. I guess we have set the bar pretty low though.

I am not a fan of that, unless he realy is adapting well like Ugoh did. If he has truley proven good enough that is massive for the Cheifs as they have picked up a cornerstone of the O, however, if they are rushing him into where they would LIKE him to be and he is not ready it could realy screw his confidence. Either way - worst case scenario he should be a solid guard, and best case scenario he is a massive steal

vidae
05-20-2008, 12:45 AM
I sort of thought this is what we'd do from day one. Get him some practice reps at LT, see how he handles it, get him into training camp and probably work him out at both tackle positions.

I'm really curious as to who is going to be our starting RG. I think Niswanger could handle it well, but he could also start at C. I guess I have high hopes for Richardson as it stands.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Splat
05-20-2008, 01:12 PM
18 days away!:)

T-RICH49
05-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I gotta get me Dorsey's autograph

BPhilb
05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Edwards admits he made a mistake last season by not setting a starting lineup and sticking to it. Reading the article it makes some sense. Continuity is extremely important on the OLine and I think by Edwards picking a lineup and sticking to it we should be more prepared when the season starts. The article is below:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/622341.html

T-RICH49
05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I like the fact Albert is getting reps at LT right away instead of him starting at RG and then halfway through the year moving to LT.only way he gets better is more reps at LT

Hermstheman83
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Is there a big difference between Right tackle and left tackle? Yea, the Left tackle always blocks the best rushing end.....is the RT supposed to be better at run blocking? I'm just asking so that Albert doesn't get fried playing a position he only played for two games in college...then again, he seems very confident he can play LT>

BPhilb
05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Is there a big difference between Right tackle and left tackle? Yea, the Left tackle always blocks the best rushing end.....is the RT supposed to be better at run blocking? I'm just asking so that Albert doesn't get fried playing a position he only played for two games in college...then again, he seems very confident he can play LT>

There is a huge difference in the footwork involved and also the TE help that is involved on the right side (though that doesn't matter much for us). I agree with T-Rich in the fact that starting him somewhere else and then trying to make a move mid-season would probably stunt his growth as well as the entire lines. At least by starting this way we should find out soon enough if Albert can't handle the transition and will have plenty of time to reconfigure if need be. I really believe he will handle the position well, but their will be growing pains this season ecspecially at the beginning.

vidae
05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Looks like I'm gunna be there.

We should all meet up when we're there. An NFLDC Chiefs gathering!

Whos in?!

Splat
05-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Does any one know if we can bring in cameras?

T-RICH49
05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/756874.html

DT Glenn Dorsey Simply put, he was unstoppable today.He ate up All-Pro guard Brian Waters.It was a mismatch.People don't realize how strong Dorsey is, but what makes him great is that his technique is already at the NFL level.There is'nt any doubt he was the best college defender this year, and early on my take is he'll be the best NFL rookie defender this season.Dorsey thanked us for putting him on the cover of our latest magazine

IF he is dominating Waters already OMG what will he do vs inferior OG's

villagewarrior
05-25-2008, 10:09 AM
What's really exciting is hearing about the undrafted guys, McDuffie, Dingle and Lokey that look like they are making an impression. Can't wait to see how these guys look in pads.

adschofield
05-25-2008, 10:23 AM
To be fair, Waters is a bit overrated, but it's good news nonetheless

adschofield
05-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I have gone the past two years, but won't be able to go this year because of a stupid family reunion in St. Louis :(

adschofield
05-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Does any one know if we can bring in cameras?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can

adschofield
05-25-2008, 10:28 AM

With LT, you're pretty much on an island with no help, while at RT you face a lesser DE with more help

T-RICH49
05-25-2008, 10:35 AM
To be fair, Waters is a bit overrated, but it's good news nonetheless

I completewly disagree that Waters is overrated.I do think age is catching up to him but certainly not overrated

vidae
05-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Waters has been one of our best offensive linemen for years. I don't think he's overrated. Maybe a bit overthehill, or climbing it, but as far as our offensive line goes, he's at the top right now.

vidae
05-25-2008, 10:51 AM
I went to my local Arbys and got four tickets. Was supposed to go with some family+a buddy but now only two of us are going so I might have two extra tickets.

If I have them, and someone couldn't find a pair, let me know and they're yours. I'll know for sure if I can spare them in a few days, so post here or pm me if you're interested in em! (I'm pretty sure there are still a lot going around, but just in case there isn't) :)

villagewarrior
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Every scheme allows for either tackle to get an ample amount of help from TEs/RBs, the quality of the tackle in question is what determines most of the time whether a shift in protection is going their way or not. For example, Jordan Black played out of position at left tackle and so the protection was shifted to him in order to help him out. That included taking Tony Gonzalez out of pass routes to block. With Willie Roaf you could leave him on an island because most days he could handle it alone.

If you have a good pass blocking left tackle and a good pass blocking right tackle, that just frees up more guys to go into routes. There is nothing to say that a TE or a running back has to stay in to block, it's just normally that way to protect against the blitz. But if the tackles and other linemen can pick up 5 and hold them back for about 4 seconds, it would be up to the QB to avoid the extra blitzer and find the open area. In theory, it's real simple.

T-RICH49
05-28-2008, 12:04 PM
a recap from yesterday's OTA

http://kan.scout.com/2/757819.html

LT Branden Albert - He was the star of the day.Defensive end Tamba Hali did everything but ride a bulldozer in his attempts to get past Albert to get to the quarterback.Albert is clearly the starting left tackle and was the best offensive linemen of the day.It's early and the real bullets are'nt flying yet, but Albert is NFL ready.He was outstanding in preventing Hali and others from lowering their shoulders and driving toward the quarterback.He keeps defenders upright, negating any momentum or rush to the offensive backfield.

saintsfan912
05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Man its great to hear Big Putt doing so well. Everybody called me a homer for thinking Dorsey was the best in the draft. I am definitely a Chiefs fan now.

How's the QB situation this year? It would be great to see Bowe in the pro bowl this year.

T-RICH49
05-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Man its great to hear Big Putt doing so well. Everybody called me a homer for thinking Dorsey was the best in the draft. I am definitely a Chiefs fan now.

How's the QB situation this year? It would be great to see Bowe in the pro bowl this year.

the QB situation wil determine what record KC has.by all accounts the OL should improve and LJ will finall be starting a game which Croyle starts.If Croyle improves we may surprise a few people

Splat
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I do think Waters is a bit overrated don't get me wrong he is a good player but he is not the player Roaf made him look like.

Splat
05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
One week away!!

bored of education
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Its early, yet I like all the good news!

bored of education
05-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I really hope this works out for KC!

Tha Boss
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Dorsey is a beast, no way around it. Im a Denver fan, but i do live in SEC country and i watched him dominate every week. The only example you need is when he threw the auburn guard to the dround to make the play in the backfield, and he wasn't completely healthy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=0-LkCvNK2iM

The AFC west has been snatching up all the SEC talent, Cutler, Russell, Dorsey, McFadden, Dwayne Bowe, Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas.

Regardless im pisssed that the chiefs got him.

saintsfan912
05-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Dorsey is a beast, no way around it. Im a Denver fan, but i do live in SEC country and i watched him dominate every week. The only example you need is when he threw the auburn guard to the dround to make the play in the backfield, and he wasn't completely healthy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=0-LkCvNK2iM

The AFC west has been snatching up all the SEC talent, Cutler, Russell, Dorsey, McFadden, Dwayne Bowe, Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas.

Can't forget about Jacob Hester and Buster Davis in San Diego!

villagewarrior
05-29-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm pissed that the Broncos got Clady, so we're even.

vidae
05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Croyle is the clear cut starter this year, no controversy, and from everything I've read it sounds like he's doing well in camp and responding well to the simpler offense that Coach Gailey has implemented.

I expect Bowe to have a better year with the offensive line help, LJ being healthy, and Will Franklin on the field opposite of him.

Things are definitely looking up, and that is a great thing!

T-RICH49
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I can't wait til preseason

Splat
05-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I went to my local Arbys and got four tickets.

Got mine today.

Splat
06-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Two days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vidae
06-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Man, that was FUN!

I was sitting at one end, first row, and as soon as they broke into groups to do autographs, I got one from Brian Waters and Damion McIntosh.

They looked good. Brandon Carr looked really impressive, and LJ looked healthy.

What'd you guys think? You guys have fun?

T-RICH49
06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I need info unfortunately I was not able to go :(

Hermstheman83
06-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Yea, who impressed you guys? Who disappointed? I'm excited with what I'm hearing about Brian Johnston, his intervieiw was pretty funny with Soren Petro. you can tell he hasn't had experience with interviews and stuff. But he sounds like a pretty determined guy.

T-RICH49
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
man everything I am hearing from TC sounds like the Croyle to Bowe connection will be something awesome this year

bored of education
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah def. Last year croyle would throw behind Bowe, or too low. Seems like they are developing as a duo.

T-RICH49
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I can't remember reading one bad report on Brodie or Bowe yet

bored of education
08-06-2008, 11:55 AM
It seems Devard Darling and Croyle have been doing well together

adschofield
08-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I read an article in the KC Star the other day about Tyler Thigpen and his emergence...Not a bad read...I'm too lazy to find the link though lol

Strawdog
08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I read an article in the KC Star the other day about Tyler Thigpen and his emergence...Not a bad read...I'm too lazy to find the link though lol

I'm guessing you mean: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/733941.html

I would like to see Thigpen play some. As highly as he has been talked about in some places, it makes me wonder if we would definitely take a first round QB next should Croyle not show something this year.

BPhilb
08-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm guessing you mean: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/733941.html

I would like to see Thigpen play some. As highly as he has been talked about in some places, it makes me wonder if we would definitely take a first round QB next should Croyle not show something this year.

I wouldn't be suprised if Chad Pennington isn't on the roster tomorrow. I can see Huard getting cut and Pennington being the insurance in case Croyle or Thigpen don't show promise this season. I hope like hell we don't trade anything for him though.

T-RICH49
08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Chad Pennington isn't on the roster tomorrow. I can see Huard getting cut and Pennington being the insurance in case Croyle or Thigpen don't show promise this season. I hope like hell we don't trade anything for him though.

true.Chad makes way too much sense for it not to happen

vidae
08-07-2008, 03:42 PM
true.Chad makes way too much sense for it not to happen

I GUESS.. I can't stand him as a QB though. I didn't really like him coming out of college and I still don't like him.

bored of education
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I have a stronger arm than Pennington!

vidae
08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I have a stronger arm than Pennington!

You probably do!

adschofield
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Dorsey back in practice today

T-RICH49
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Dorsey back in practice today

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

bored of education
08-11-2008, 09:24 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Dorsey!

BPhilb
08-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting article in the Star. Turk McBride has apparently taken the starting spot from Alphonso Boone for now. The article also said Brian Johnston had a great practice which is great to hear.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/741418.html

Splat
08-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Interesting article in the Star. Turk McBride has apparently taken the starting spot from Alphonso Boone for now. The article also said Brian Johnston had a great practice which is great to hear.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/741418.html

I'm glad I want to see Boone next to Dorsey.

T-RICH49
08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
now I'm hearing Dorsey will miss vs Arizona as well

BPhilb
08-11-2008, 11:17 AM
now I'm hearing Dorsey will miss vs Arizona as well

Better safe than sorry. I doubt that his transition is too bad given his physical gifts and posistion where a couple of missed preseason games will make much difference. Albert on the other hand scares me as he really could have used the time to learn the new position and work daily with the unit. Overall though it seems like we are doing pretty well on the injury front. I guess that's one advantage to having a young team.

vidae
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm glad Johnston is having a good practice. I'm really hoping he makes the 53 man roster. I think he could be extremely good in the NFL still.

FinChase
08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey, any word on how Jaamal Charles is doing? I really liked him when he was at UT.

vidae
08-15-2008, 01:21 AM
He looked good in the preseason game. Kid has some serious jets.