PDA

View Full Version : Clemens/Pennington flip coin for 1st shot with 1st team

duckseason
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Thought you guys might be amused by this-

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24655501/

Chad called heads and I thought I had a good chance because Iím a guy that generally calls tails...
It was heads all the way

Threw a poll in there so we could see the general consensus on this battle.

derza222
05-16-2008, 07:24 PM
That was pretty amusing, I knew they flipped a coin but didn't see the quotes by Clemens. FWIW I'd like to see Clemens starting, I think we know what we've got with Pennington and it's not enough to get us to the next level. See if you've got a franchise QB in Clemens, and if not go find one because no matter how well we've been building this team we need stability at the position. Out of curiosity, from a non-Jets fan's point of view, who do you think should be starting?

thetedginnshow
05-17-2008, 05:26 PM
FYI for everyone, last year the Browns flipped a coin for the start, Charlie Frye won, did horrible, got traded, and then DA was a Pro Bowler. Just saying...

duckseason
05-17-2008, 06:10 PM
That was pretty amusing, I knew they flipped a coin but didn't see the quotes by Clemens. FWIW I'd like to see Clemens starting, I think we know what we've got with Pennington and it's not enough to get us to the next level. See if you've got a franchise QB in Clemens, and if not go find one because no matter how well we've been building this team we need stability at the position. Out of curiosity, from a non-Jets fan's point of view, who do you think should be starting?

Well, I'm obviously biased toward Clemens, but from as objective a perspective as possible, my thoughts closely match your own.

I think you know what you have in Pennington, and it's not good enough. I think he could lead a team like the '00 Ravens to a Championship, but not these Jets. He's obviously a very smart, hard working QB, but he just makes things too easy on the defense. He's reached his potential. The Jets need more of a threat at the QB position to take pressure off the rest of the team.

With Clemens, I think you obviously have a lot of potential left to cultivate. Like Pennington, he's a very smart QB and a very hard worker. He just has a better arm and is a better overall athlete. With his intelligence level and work ethic, I think he's the kind of guy who will continue to get better as his experience level increases. The sooner the Jets hand him the reigns, the sooner they'll see just how good he can be. I think that's important information to have. If he busts, at least you know you have a capable backup that can step in and keep the team respectable while you look elsewhere for your franchise guy.

I think Pennington would make a great backup in this league.

Bluedevil$
07-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I hope Clemens wins the job because that means he probably stepped up and showed he can be our QB of the future. If the QB competition is close and no one stands out, I think the job would go to the veteran Pennington.

Crickett
08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I hope Chad Pennington opens the season as the starter....... of the Minnesota Vikings or Kansas City Chiefs. :D