PDA

View Full Version : Odell Cut

PalmerToCJ
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Alright, I'm going to reserve judgment till I know the whole story but it really bothers me at this point. All I have to go off of is that he hasn't been in voluntaries after his grandmother's death. Now, if it has something to do with alcohol again then I understand... Not sure I do at this point.

They stick with him for all these years through all this BS and potentially drop him over voluntaries? Ugh, the whole story better be a good one.

For now, Ahmad to MLB.

georgiafan
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
here is a link from the AJC, sounds like it was because if the missed camp.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/05/19/thurmanburst_0520.html

trekindude
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Bengals website says it's because of a missed camp (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6800), but Marvin's quote says he's "not taken the right steps" since being reinstated. So possibilities are failure to do what his AA meetings have suggested or something along those lines. But at the moment, I'm a bit confused. You can't keep him signed on for 2 years of no play, but cut him as soon as he's reinstated. I'd have thought we might have at least tried to trade him somewhere, a la Pacman. So I'm guessing that there's more to this than meets the eye.

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Good God. All I did when I read this is hang my head.

themaninblack
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
can anything else possibly go wrong?

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Umm...TJ is on the block to be cut next right? He hasn't been there either. Same with Chad.

themaninblack
05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Well all of our first 3 picks in the 2005 draft are now gone.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Could he make a good SLB?

PalmerToCJ
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Odell is a MLB, maybe a WLB but it's best off to keep him at MLB.

This seriously can't be for missing camp. At least I would REALLY REALLY hope not.

lost33cause
05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Looks like most of us were wrong about Odell being ready to play. I highly doubt he was cut just for missing some voluntaries.

MidwayMonster31
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Marvin Lewis has totally lost this team. Missing camp, to be with his family after his grandmother's death, was just an excuse to cut him. The Browns, Steelers or Ravens should try and sign him to stick it to the Bengals.

PalmerToCJ
05-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I really refuse to believe that's the sole reason, just doesn't make any sense.

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
I really refuse to believe that's the sole reason, just doesn't make any sense.

How long have you been a Bengals fan? lol jk jk

It doesnt but it wont surprise me at all if it is. We just lost a great player for no clear reason now

PalmerToCJ
05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
lol i know 78... Seriously, I know they're pretty inept but that would be just bad.

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
there better be a damn good reason for this or I'm gonna flip a lid.
trade Chad for a ILB now.

Yung Flippa
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
So he was cut because he wanted to stay with his family during his grandmother's death? Sounds like a little like the Troy Williamson situation last season, except Troy didn't get cut.

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Thats what it is looking like. Unless something breaks soon.
I smell a grievance suit if that is the teams best reason.

rickscott
05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
They want to act as if they have a good LBing corp without him but we have a guy playing MLB that hasn't and he's been cut by a couple teams already and we got another that has a lingering groin injury that "hopefully" will heal up in time and a rookie. Sounds like a devastating corp to me????

themaninblack
05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
They are really confusing me right now. I guess they could be pretty impressed with Jeanty? Maybe move Ahmad back to middle? who knows.

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I officially dub this season a full blown Crap-shoot

StripedWalrus
05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Thats what it is looking like. Unless something breaks soon.
I smell a grievance suit if that is the teams best reason.

Odell's Agent reports that there won't be a grievance suit. There is definantly more to this story. Word is even in during the Rookie camp they had he showed up only one day to do some conditioning and various other work with trainers.

The Bengals may just not be impressed with his desire to get back into shape for the upcoming year. There could be some legitimate reasons for this. The timing may have been bad, but he does need to be serious about his work as well. I love Thurman and was hoping he would be able to preform well this year.

Blah its a shame.

StripedWalrus
05-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I officially dub this season a full blown Crap-shoot

Why because a player that may or may not have started got cut? I love Thurman more than the next guy and was excited about him being back...but we all as Bengal fans knew that this season wasn't riding on Thurman. We knew it was possible he may not have even played this year or ever. So how could losing Thurman make it a crap shoot?

BamaFalcon59
05-19-2008, 10:51 PM
He put up some great stats when he was a rookie. Over 100 tackles, 9 pass deflections, 1.5 sacks, five interceptions. Very good numbers.

PalmerToCJ
05-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Tust me... You don't have to remind us.

Bengals78
05-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Why because a player that may or may not have started got cut? I love Thurman more than the next guy and was excited about him being back...but we all as Bengal fans knew that this season wasn't riding on Thurman. We knew it was possible he may not have even played this year or ever. So how could losing Thurman make it a crap shoot?

Why? Because Odell is a natural MLB now we have Jones starting at MLB right now. He has only played a few games at MLB and is 30 years old. If Brooks gets injured again we are back to square one at LB. We have an average at best veteran in Jones, and a bunch of inexperienced guys at LB. Odell brings attitude we need.

PalmerToCJ
05-19-2008, 11:54 PM
If we bomb this year we better pick Mauluga. That'd be a nice consolation.

Seriously, the situation at MLB MUST be straightened out. Not that I thought Odell was the guy but when he was on the roster that was one more potential player. Jones is serviceable, Ahmad is a beast but as we all know the health is a question mark... After that you put Rivers out of position I assume.

Ugh.

themaninblack
05-20-2008, 12:14 AM
I'd honestly rather see Rivers-Ahmad-Jeanty than Rivers-Jones-Ahmad at this point.

StripedWalrus
05-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Why? Because Odell is a natural MLB now we have Jones starting at MLB right now. He has only played a few games at MLB and is 30 years old. If Brooks gets injured again we are back to square one at LB. We have an average at best veteran in Jones, and a bunch of inexperienced guys at LB. Odell brings attitude we need.

As of the point before Odell was cut, he only brought us a player that hasn't played for 2 years and apparently wasnt fit enough to play this year. I think we as fans hyped him up so much that we want him to succeed and think he is something better than he is. I know I hyped him enough to at least make him seem godly to all my friends. He has always been a player I hoped would come back. But the bottom line is, apparently he wasnt fit enough to be a starting Line Backer on the Bengals. He was apparently not even worthy of being a back up. That has to say something, right?

hobbes2053
05-20-2008, 12:52 AM
This whole thing makes me sad because everyone knows what Odell is capable of but he obviously wast ready to meet the challenge. As of now I think our best bet is to have Brooks in the middle, with Jeanty at SLB, obviously leaving Rivers at WLB. Jones would serve well as a backup for Brooks and may even start the season at MLB if Brooks isnt healthy, although I expect him to be ready to go.

PalmerToCJ
05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Our 3 most talented LB's are clearly Brooks/Rivers/Jeanty.

Brooks to SLB only sucked for the reason it kept Jeanty off the field, while he's not some game breaker Jeanty gets the job done and wraps guys up.

As Hobbes said, Jones could be a supreme backup with a ton of experience. Never a bad thing.

With Odell gone, IMO, Ahmad has to be groomed back to MLB. It's his natural position and we're fine at SLB. I think Henderson could eventually become a solid backup as well.

Shere Khan
05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Odell's Agent reports that there won't be a grievance suit. There is definantly more to this story. Word is even in during the Rookie camp they had he showed up only one day to do some conditioning and various other work with trainers.

The Bengals may just not be impressed with his desire to get back into shape for the upcoming year. There could be some legitimate reasons for this. The timing may have been bad, but he does need to be serious about his work as well. I love Thurman and was hoping he would be able to preform well this year.

Blah its a shame.

IMO, Coach Lewis had probably moved on mentally with O-Dawg. He was in his doghouse for a while, and this is/was possibly the final straw. O'Dell seemed to be in Georgia longer than expected.

O'Dell was a awesome player for us, but this is just another example of him not being able to be counted on.

Pains me to say it too, I have O-Dawg's jersey and was really rooting for him to step in and make an impact for our team.

themaninblack
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
My jerseys consist of David Pollack and CJ. David's I will keep forever but CJ could be burned very soon. Im gonna get a Rivers one soon.

Bengals78
05-21-2008, 01:23 PM
As of the point before Odell was cut, he only brought us a player that hasn't played for 2 years and apparently wasnt fit enough to play this year. I think we as fans hyped him up so much that we want him to succeed and think he is something better than he is. I know I hyped him enough to at least make him seem godly to all my friends. He has always been a player I hoped would come back. But the bottom line is, apparently he wasnt fit enough to be a starting Line Backer on the Bengals. He was apparently not even worthy of being a back up. That has to say something, right?

From what I understand it had nothing to do with him being in shape or worthy of a back up. He got cut for not making to camps which I believe to be ok because he grandma had just died and you dont know his relationship to his grandma. Everything is different for different people.

themaninblack
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Marvin said it had nothing to do with him missing camp. Maybe just his general attitude wasn't there. Regardless, he's gone and its time to move on without him. I'm still confident in this young group of defensive players and with some experience they could be a very solid unit.

Bengals78
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
For the first time ever, I am not paranoid of our DLine ruining us this year. It is the LB core I am worried about. Keith Rivers I am fine with. But the other 2 spots have me a bit nervous.

PalmerToCJ
05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah it's pretty rough that the "rock" at LB for us is a freaking rookie...

Bengals78
05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
What are you talking about??? WE HAVE DHANI JONEZZZ!!!!!!
Oh Christ we are f***ed at LB lol.
Maybe if Brooking does get cut we should at least offer him a one year deal
last year he had 110 tackles and 2 sacks. He is 32 though, but a one or 2 year deal wouldnt hurt until we draft Rey Maualuga.

themaninblack
05-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I think Dhani will be fine at MLB. He's a solid veteran player that will put people in spots to make plays. He can also make a few himself if the DLine plays up to par. He's gonna be flanked by two young LBers with limitless potential n if he can get them where they need to be till they are comfortable enough to do it themselves he could be pretty valuable. Don't forget he came in off the street and was a very solid player for us last season. Hard not to like a guy like that.

TimD
05-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I wonder where he'll go. I'm hoping the Jets give him a look, but they never bother with high talent, low character guys. Its a shame too, because there could always be a guy who is looking for a change in scenery. Guess its a high risk thing.

Bengals78
05-21-2008, 11:59 PM
I think Dhani will be fine at MLB. He's a solid veteran player that will put people in spots to make plays. He can also make a few himself if the DLine plays up to par. He's gonna be flanked by two young LBers with limitless potential n if he can get them where they need to be till they are comfortable enough to do it themselves he could be pretty valuable. Don't forget he came in off the street and was a very solid player for us last season. Hard not to like a guy like that.

its not that i dont LIKE Jones, I just like Odell more lol

themaninblack
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
well everyone wanted Odell back and it sucks but hes a loser so he's gone. Dhani will be fine but we definitely need another MLB to groom behind him.

Bengals78
05-22-2008, 03:24 PM
R-e-y M-a-u-a-l-u-g-a

lost33cause
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I am no more concerned about LB than I was before Odell was released. Of course, it would have been nice for him to work out. I also don't know why you guys think Jeanty should be out there more than Jones. Jeanty couldn't cover a rock that ran out of a backfield let alone cover an nfl TE or RB. I like the lineup with Rivers at WLB, Jones at MLB, and Brooks at SLB. It puts our best players on the field. Jeanty was supposedly a pash rush specailist from the CFL and yet I don't think he's had one sack yet.

My worry is still our dline. Your run defense is only as good as your Dline. Our Dline is showing promise and might be on the rise with them finally addressing it but we shall see. I think we need some more draft picks there for the future but I hope its atleast servicable this year.

BengalsPwn
05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Man it would be cool if we could trade CJ + another player **** even next years 1st for Patrick Willis. Oh then I woke up. The team is just falling apart, 2 years ago O'Dell looked like the steal of the draft, now hes a bum and a wasted 2nd round pick.

themaninblack
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Maualuga would be nice but I'm hoping we aren't even picking when he is available. Meaning we have a rly good season, which I think we can.

StripedWalrus
05-25-2008, 08:50 PM
well guys dont be too mad at the Brass right now...There is apparently some indication that Thurman had a deadline to report back to camp and didnt meet it. Also some information revolving around him refusing a drug test or possibly failing one. If this is true maybe we shouldnt be yelling at the bengals Brass and rather be mad at Thurman.

Sorry I havnt been around to answer anything lately...been kinda on a mini vacation.

LonghornsLegend
05-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I know this has got to suck for Bengals fan, he did look like the steal of the draft after his rookie year, had all the potential in the world to be a top 5 MLB, and after all that wait he gets cut now...Granted your first 3 picks in that draft didn't pan out at least you can't say it was due to lack of talent.

StripedWalrus
05-25-2008, 11:39 PM
on top of that Kieft who was also in that draft..5th round tackle has been injured, Tab Perry 6th round WR no longer plays with the bengals, Eric Ghiaciuc 4th round Center is kinda on the hot seat. Fanene is the only decently solid player we got out of that draft and we got him in the 7th round... ... ... well I guess steady is the word...he has cool hair!

Overall 05 was a very very very bad draft for the Bengals. Looking back on it after three years... I would grade it an F!

PalmerToCJ
05-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I will say, given the talent drafted... They did a good job AT THE TIME with the '05 draft. Obviously in hindsight it has been horrible for helping the team in the future.

StripedWalrus
05-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I will say, given the talent drafted... They did a good job AT THE TIME with the '05 draft. Obviously in hindsight it has been horrible for helping the team in the future.

Thats how ya gotta grade a draft though... you gotta look at it in hindsight. That is how you tell if it was a good draft or not. After review our draft of 05 was a bust sadly...

PalmerToCJ
05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
I guess I'm saying, I would do it all over again given how talented our first 3 guys were. They drafted 3 guys of 1st round talent. It's turned out terrible but I don't place the blame on the organization (oddly enough).

themaninblack
05-27-2008, 12:08 AM
ya that was pretty much a string of bad luck. Ya you could cite the character concerns with Odell and Chris but I think in both situations that risk was worth it at the time. The one I am most sore about is David Pollack, a guy with those kind of skills and intangibles doesn't come around very often and it saddens me that he lost his chance by injury. Would've really liked to have seen him play out his career here in Cincy. Don't think I've ever been that excited for a draft pick in my life.

StripedWalrus
05-27-2008, 03:25 AM
I guess I'm saying, I would do it all over again given how talented our first 3 guys were. They drafted 3 guys of 1st round talent. It's turned out terrible but I don't place the blame on the organization (oddly enough).

I see what your sayin. It really is a shame though. All three were incredibly talented guys. I have always loved Thurman and Pollack. Never was that big on Henry. Always thought he was super ugly. HAHAH. But Pollack and Thurman I thought would revive the defense...and they almost did. At the time I dont think we could have drafted any better than we did.

On a bright note at least the 06 and 07 drafts are looking alright. Joseph and Peko in the 06 draft were great picks. Wish Rucker could step up and be more of a presence. 07 got us Hall, Ndukwe, and White...Im happy about that. Irons is looking bad because of Injures but so is Perry from 04. If Perry steps up and plays great then the 04 draft will be looking really nice with Geathers and Andrews. THough I solidly believe andrews will be going to philly.

LonghornsLegend
05-27-2008, 03:31 AM

You have to keep in mind though, the character concerns were well documented for guys like Thurman and Henry before the draft, they took note of each one in most of the reviews immediately after, so you do have to put some on the organization...Character concerns are what made Lofa be picked before Thurman, and what kept Henry out of the 1st, and you see the positives and negatives...You get alot of talent, but you get the off field baggage with them, so for those two you can't really say its a surprise....The surpriseis Pollack, which is really sad, and he was a 1st rounder, no way you can predict those things...But for the latter, when you draft guys with well documented character concerns, these are the risk you take when selecting these guys, there were reasons other teams passed on them...Just sucks they didn't realize their talent and opportunity because both guys were some of the best young guys at their respective positions and should be your team strength.

PalmerToCJ
05-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Neither had been in much for off field trouble, Odell was some bar fight and Henry didn't get along with his coaches. Now obviously they weren't church boys but no one would've though Henry would be the idiot he is and Odell was never really that bad... Just screwed up in missing the tests and then the DUI.

I would still do it all over again if it was there.

StripedWalrus
06-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Well it is in the books! The Bengals did not do the wrong thing in cutting Odell. He did indeed break the substance abuse policy. This is pitiful on Thurman's part. He had so much potential but wasted it all...

Aftermath
06-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Well it is in the books! The Bengals did not do the wrong thing in cutting Odell. He did indeed break the substance abuse policy. This is pitiful on Thurman's part. He had so much potential but wasted it all...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3429624

StripedWalrus
06-06-2008, 06:51 PM
He really deserves to be kicked out permanently. Three Strikes and your out. He is wasting a great opportunity and doesnt deserve another chance ever!

PalmerToCJ
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Ahhh.... Don't I look good for once for not criticizing the coaching staff.

I knew there had to be more to it.

StripedWalrus
06-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Ahhh.... Don't I look good for once for not criticizing the coaching staff.

I knew there had to be more to it.

You and me both m8!

themaninblack
06-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Not surprised by this in the least. I wanted to believe he had turned a new leaf with his lifestyle but he obviously did not do that. The team did what they had to with him.

Shere Khan
06-07-2008, 10:30 AM
can't get right part duex....