PDA

View Full Version : Steak Thread

Wootylicous
05-20-2008, 12:24 AM
How do you all like your steak ?

:D

Forenci
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM
It really all depends on who's cooking it. Some people season it just right and I enjoy a good steak, but others just butcher it.

Epic steak thread!

PackerLegend
05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Med-Rare but I like it any doneness as long as its not mooing still really bloody or super burnt.

Crickett
05-20-2008, 12:31 AM
How do you all like your steak ?

:D

You know all of those A1 commercials? I don't use A1, I use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_jus

I go to steakhouses, eat dinner and get a take out order of just that.

MetSox17
05-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Medium-well.

I don't like to hear any moo-ing when i'm about to dig in.

bantx
05-20-2008, 12:36 AM
I like my steak well done, ill go as far as little red as possible. I'm grillin steak this weekend and if anyone has any personal favorite on how to marinate ur steak please post em im interested.

Forenci
05-20-2008, 12:38 AM
I really prefer it to be well-done. I just don't like eating into a red steak, it does not appeal to me. Granted I do not eat a ton of steak, but still.

What do you guys thinks is the best well known resteraunt chain to get a steak? I really can't think of the best one off the top of my head.

cunningham06
05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I marinate my steaks with Worcester (sp?) sauce, a bit of garlic salt, and pepper. Usually you want to avoid putting grain salt such as sea salt on a steak before cooking it because it dries up the meat, but the garlic salt I use is more of a rub.

cunningham06
05-20-2008, 12:41 AM
I really prefer it to be well-done. I just don't like eating into a red steak, it does not appeal to me. Granted I do not eat a ton of steak, but still.

What do you guys thinks is the best well known resteraunt chain to get a steak? I really can't think of the best one off the top of my head.

Maybe Smith and Wollensky, I don't know how widely known Ruth's Chris is but that's one of my favorites.

Crickett
05-20-2008, 12:42 AM

Sizzler.
T.G.I.Fridays: I've heard good things, but I generally order a burger or shrimp there.
Dave and Buster: I get a cheesesteak here, but not an actual steak
Applebees: Can suck it.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-20-2008, 01:20 AM
It sucks man, cause the beef prices have gone up a lot the last few years, momma never gets steak anymore, Man, used to have it all the time. She doesn' t buy anything at the grocery store unless its on sale.

tEk
05-20-2008, 01:23 AM
bbq'd new york strips on my 22" weber charcoal grill. cooked medium with a salt and pepper rub and glazed in olive oil. delicious

CashmoneyDrew
05-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Medium-Rare Prime Rib FTW!

KCJ58
05-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Medium......

ninerfan
05-20-2008, 02:14 AM
Blue / rare and gimme quality over quantity anyday of the week.

trkaline
05-20-2008, 02:33 AM
I like my steak made out of people...

tEk
05-20-2008, 02:37 AM
I like my steak made out of people...can't say i have had a piece of man meat, wait a minute are you eluding to something...

trkaline
05-20-2008, 02:44 AM
No....now would you please move a little closer to the window...

KCJ58
05-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Sizzler.
T.G.I.Fridays: I've heard good things, but I generally order a burger or shrimp there.
Dave and Buster: I get a cheesesteak here, but not an actual steak
Applebees: Can suck it.

you forget Chilli's?

Sportsfan486
05-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Usually you want to avoid putting grain salt such as sea salt on a steak before cooking it because it dries up the meat, but the garlic salt I use is more of a rub.

WRONG. Sea salt or kosher salt (comes in a big box.. large grains.. you should be using this, every single restaurant does) are the best types of salt to use on a steak, not to mention just about everything.

Anyone that said anything over medium, go get a hamburger instead. Seriously.

I'm the sous chef at one of the better restaurants in a big food city and I'm going to tell you honestly.. when you order a steak well done.. the cook reaches for the oldest and worst looking steak that doesn't stink and as soon as it hits the grill he stops paying attention to it. Why? Well, why not? You ordered something that by definition is inferior so it's not like you'll notice.

A good quality beef steak doesn't need much in the way of pre-cooking-treatment. Beef is extremely flavorful and juicy, no need to **** with it. At my restaurant we rub ours with a canola/olive oil blend, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper. Grill it to perfection. Rub a little roasted garlic compound butter on top and let it rest in a warm spot. We routinely are told it's the best steak people have ever eaten. We also dry age our steaks a bit which always helps, though, as well as properly storing them.

Med rare and shooting for the rare side of that is what I order on most steaks. Super tender cuts, ie... filet, I go rare on the side of moo-ing. Med-rare is usually just right for getting the best combo of juiciness, flavor and tenderness on most steaks.

JagHombre22
05-20-2008, 03:36 AM
A to Q #1: Medium

A to Q #2: Marinate it with Jim Bean marinade, add in some garlic salt, meat tenderizer, and MAYBE some all purpose seasoning....Best piece of meat you will ever have...

A to Q #3: Longhorn Steakhouse does a great steak...highly recommend.

Thunder&Lightning
05-20-2008, 07:04 AM
like it medium rare but i always ask for medium scared it might have a pulse when i receive it.

eaglesalltheway
05-20-2008, 07:14 AM
I like my steak well done, ill go as far as little red as possible. I'm grillin steak this weekend and if anyone has any personal favorite on how to marinate ur steak please post em im interested.

Perfect for any steak. About four hours before you grill it, do a dry rub of. Garlic, Paprika, a little Chili Powder, mustard powder, black pepper, salt, and some oregano, a very little bit of that. Once done with the dry rub, marinate in red wine viniagrette and a little bit of oil. Oil does nothing for the marinate. (Only marinate for a approx 4 hrs because the meat soaks it right up, and you don't want too mauch of the viniagrette flavor.) Cook as desired and enjoy. Best steaks I've ever had in my life were ones I've made like this.

eaglesalltheway
05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
WRONG. Sea salt or kosher salt (comes in a big box.. large grains.. you should be using this, every single restaurant does) are the best types of salt to use on a steak, not to mention just about everything.

Anyone that said anything over medium, go get a hamburger instead. Seriously.

I'm the sous chef at one of the better restaurants in a big food city and I'm going to tell you honestly.. when you order a steak well done.. the cook reaches for the oldest and worst looking steak that doesn't stink and as soon as it hits the grill he stops paying attention to it. Why? Well, why not? You ordered something that by definition is inferior so it's not like you'll notice.

A good quality beef steak doesn't need much in the way of pre-cooking-treatment. Beef is extremely flavorful and juicy, no need to **** with it. At my restaurant we rub ours with a canola/olive oil blend, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper. Grill it to perfection. Rub a little roasted garlic compound butter on top and let it rest in a warm spot. We routinely are told it's the best steak people have ever eaten. We also dry age our steaks a bit which always helps, though, as well as properly storing them.

Med rare and shooting for the rare side of that is what I order on most steaks. Super tender cuts, ie... filet, I go rare on the side of moo-ing. Med-rare is usually just right for getting the best combo of juiciness, flavor and tenderness on most steaks.

YOu sir are my best friend. I order anything rare if I can. To be honest, I wouldn't mind a moo or two.

cdub11
05-20-2008, 08:25 AM
medium rare for me, dont like steak sauce

Splat
05-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I like it well done with some A1.:)

BeerBaron
05-20-2008, 09:30 AM
I like it medium and i like it just as steak. i dont need it spiced up, i can enjoy it just with its natural flavors.

btw, whats the best steak anyones ever had?

my dad ordered some of those steaks you can get out of like, a catalog. forget what theyre called. but we cooked them on our grill and for whatever reason, the one burner on the grill wasnt working. so these steaks were basically slow grilled for a lot longer than theyd normally be on there and when they were done, you could cut them with your fork and they were so full of juice it was nuts....

tastiest mistake ever

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I think you are referring to Omaha Steaks, which are excellent quality.

BeerBaron
05-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I think you are referring to Omaha Steaks, which are excellent quality.

yes, something like them. made for a great accident

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I love steak and eat good cuts of meat regularly (1-2x a week). My favorite cut is prime rib, but I tend to eat a lot of ribeyes and T-bones due to cost. I am okay with Omaha Steaks, but I like my cuts of meat larger because I tend to eat a lot.

cdub11
05-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I like it medium and i like it just as steak. i dont need it spiced up, i can enjoy it just with its natural flavors.

btw, whats the best steak anyones ever had?

my dad ordered some of those steaks you can get out of like, a catalog. forget what theyre called. but we cooked them on our grill and for whatever reason, the one burner on the grill wasnt working. so these steaks were basically slow grilled for a lot longer than theyd normally be on there and when they were done, you could cut them with your fork and they were so full of juice it was nuts....

tastiest mistake ever

the best steak ive ever had was a porterhouse at this place called "the little rhein steakhouse" in san antonio tx

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I guess the best steak I ever had was on my 2 year anniversary at Ruth's Chris. My gf and I split the $80 3.5 lb porterhouse. Basically, it amounted to a full fillet mignon and a full NY Strip. It was beautifully seasoned and cooked.

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
When I'm at home, I like to season my steak with a black/red pepper blend, garlic powder, and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Makes for an excellent combo on the grill or in the broiler.

Splat
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I guess the best steak I ever had was on my 2 year anniversary at Ruth's Chris. My gf and I split the $80 3.5 lb porterhouse. Basically, it amounted to a full fillet mignon and a full NY Strip. It was beautifully seasoned and cooked.

It better be good if your paying that much.

Wootylicous
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Montreal Steak Seasoning is deadly.

bored of education
05-20-2008, 09:47 AM
The thing with Montreal Steak seasoning is that it is average by its lonesome. But when you mix it with certain marinades is when it becomes deadly.

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
It better be good if your paying that much.

Yes, but think about it. 1.2 lb fillet mignon + a 2.3 lb porterhouse at a decently upscale steak restaurant in a pretty high cost of living area (Washington, DC). Between the two cuts, it'd probably be $80 if you ordered them separate anyway.

Crickett
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
you forget Chilli's?

You're right, I did forget. I forgot Outback Steakhouse too I think. I don't think I've ever been to a chilli's. No real reason, just haven't. As for Outback, its been a while since I've been there. Not because they're so bad, I just haven't gone to one.

Damix
05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
As I mentioned in IRC, no steak is complete without Montreal seasoning.

Splat
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
You're right, I did forget. I forgot Outback Steakhouse too I think. I don't think I've ever been to a chilli's. No real reason, just haven't. As for Outback, its been a while since I've been there. Not because they're so bad, I just haven't gone to one.

I like Outback alot and that bread they bring you is killer.

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Outback is a cheap steak place, but you get a good meal for what you pay for. It isn't terribly fancy, which is fine by me. Just realize that you aren't getting the same quality meat.

Splat
05-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Outback is a cheap steak place, but you get a good meal for what you pay for. It isn't terribly fancy, which is fine by me. Just realize that you aren't getting the same quality meat.

I live in a very small town so driving up to the nearest Outback is as about as fancy as it gets.:)

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 11:13 AM
That is fine. I'm just stating where it falls in the pecking order of steak places.

Splat
05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
My Dad can whip up a pretty good steak I would all most just perfer him to make a home spun steak he is killer on the grill.

Staubach12
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Medium rare, no sauce.

eaglesalltheway
05-20-2008, 12:44 PM

Ay mate but ya can't forget the Bloomin' Onion. Its a beauty!!!

JT Jag
05-20-2008, 12:51 PM
I used to eat it medium well. Then I ate it medium plus (between medium and medium well). Now I'm eating it medium.

I'm well on my way to taking it medium rare, but I doubt I'll go past that.

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll range from medium to medium rare, depending on my mood, the place, and the cut of the meat.

MetSox17
05-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Texas Land & Cattle!

NYGibril28
05-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Medium. Canadian Steak Seasoning. No A1 sauce. With a side of homemade garlic mashed potatoes.

Jughead10
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I haven't had a really good steak in a while. And I'm really pissed. All my buddies are going out for dinner on May 30th in NYC to a good steak house but I'll be away. Last good steak I had was at Gibson's in Chicago.

bantx
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Texas Land & Cattle!

ive heard of that, and heard some good things about it too

MetSox17
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM

It's great, don't eat steak too often, i prefer chicken, but they have the best steak i've had.

cdub11
05-20-2008, 02:12 PM
the BIG TEXAN in amarillo is great too! home of the free 72 oz.

terribletowel39
05-20-2008, 02:45 PM

It's great, don't eat steak too often, i prefer chicken, but they have the best steak i've had.

the BIG TEXAN in amarillo is great too! home of the free 72 oz.
I think largely due to the fact that it is so big but Texas has many a many good ass steak joints. And it helps that you Texans love you some steak.

Jughead10
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I think largely due to the fact that it is so big but Texas has many a many good ass steak joints. And it helps that you Texans love you some steak.

That and Texans love anything when they throw the word "Texas" in front of it.

terribletowel39
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
That and Texans love anything when they throw the word "Texas" in front of it.
haha that could not be more true. +rep on that one. EDIT: later. i'm out right now.

ps. just to make it known, i'm from louisiana. just reside here in texas presently.

skinzzfan25
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
A steak thread isn't a steak thread until Morton's is mentioned.

I go there once a year for my dad's birthday and get some unreal delicious steak.

I've been to the DC and Baltimore and seen countless ball players (Ed Reed and Ray Ray in Baltimore)

Jughead10
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
haha that could not be more true. +rep on that one.

ps. just to make it known, i'm from louisiana. just reside here in texas presently.

Thats really just what I hear. My friend is stationed outside Austin and he said it is ridiculous. On advertisements they will just write "Texas Ford" or "Texas Bud Light", and everyone will buy those brands over others for that reason.

terribletowel39
05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Thats really just what I hear. My friend is stationed outside Austin and he said it is ridiculous. On advertisements they will just write "Texas Ford" or "Texas Bud Light", and everyone will buy those brands over others for that reason.
No, your friend is right. They throw Texas in front of anything here.

PackerLegend
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
T-Bone or Porterhouse steaks all the way and steaks and eggs own

bsaza2358
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I do love me some steak & eggs. Good thoughts.

BeerBaron
05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
ive never eaten a steak for breakfast like steak and eggs before.....its more of a dinner food for me.

i love me some bacon for breakfast though. id eat a plate of it everyday if i could

PackerLegend
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/31302636_492c76c9ef.jpg

BACON IS ****iNG Amazing... so is ham and sausage breakfast meats own! People who do not eat meat have no idea what they are missing!!

BeerBaron
05-20-2008, 04:09 PM

BACON IS ****iNG Amazing... so is ham and sausage breakfast meats own! People who do not eat meat have no idea what they are missing!!

hellz yeah! +rep for the fellow carnivore! (ok, given out too much in the past 24 hours....ill try again later)

i shouldnt complain about vegetarians though....just means more for the rest of us, lol

PackerLegend
05-20-2008, 04:13 PM
hellz yeah! +rep for the fellow carnivore! (ok, given out too much in the past 24 hours....ill try again later)

i shouldnt complain about vegetarians though....just means more for the rest of us, lol

You sir have brought a great point to my attention. I have never thought of it like that. Vegetarians keep on eating your wonderful vegetables. Meat is disgusting and think of the poor animal. :D

I love beef jerky as well. Jack Links beef jerky is super expensive and super good but I go deer hunting and can make my own!

BeerBaron
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
You sir have brought a great point to my attention. I have never thought of it like that. Vegetarians keep on eating your wonderful vegetables. Meat is disgusting and think of the poor animal. :D

I love beef jerky as well. Jack Links beef jerky is super expensive and super good but I go deer hunting and can make my own!

venison jerky is nice. all forms of jerky are nice...but yeah, its almost all expensive as hell

fischbowl
05-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Rare Loaded With Coriander or Montreal Seasoning. With Creamed Spinach and Mashed Potatoes

BeerBaron
05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Rare Loaded With Coriander or Montreal Seasoning. With Creamed Spinach and Mashed Potatoes

i like a baked potato with sour cream and a buttered, salted corn on the cob as sides with my steak....mmmm-mmmm

cunningham06
05-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I usually go for a filet when I go to a steakhouse, but Ribeyes have tons of flavor and are good as well.

trkaline
05-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Curse you all i am so hungry and only thing to eat at my house currently is a can of corn....im gonna starve...

Nitschke-Hawk
05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
A steak thread isn't a steak thread until Morton's is mentioned.

I go there once a year for my dad's birthday and get some unreal delicious steak.

I've been to the DC and Baltimore and seen countless ball players (Ed Reed and Ray Ray in Baltimore)

Yup, players pretty much live at nice steakhouses haha

Hawk
05-21-2008, 12:35 AM

You are the winner. I've been there twice, most recently prom night. Expensive, yes, but well worth it. Best tasting and most tender steak you will ever have.

Oh, and I like mine medium.

Crickett
05-21-2008, 12:52 AM

This is one of things I'm looking foward to this June when I go to AnimeNext.

Breakfast buffet w/ bacon, eggs, sausage, waffles, pancakes and an assortment of cereals.

Last year I never ate lunch while there.

SuperMcGee
05-21-2008, 01:07 AM
i like a baked potato with sour cream and a buttered, salted corn on the cob as sides with my steak....mmmm-mmmm

Both good options, but with my steak I love to have soft, pan-fried potatoes doused in Worcestershire.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Place called Texas Roadhose is opening up where I live soon. Wondering if anyone heard about it, and the reputation of their food and service.

Jughead10
05-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Anyone ever been to a place where you make you own steak. I went to this place in San Diego and it was pretty damn cool. The cut of meat was so good that it was hard to screw it up if you aren't used to cooking.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Anyone ever been to a place where you make you own steak. I went to this place in San Diego and it was pretty damn cool. The cut of meat was so good that it was hard to screw it up if you aren't used to cooking.

What is your job? It seems you've been almost everywhere:)

Jughead10
05-21-2008, 07:11 AM
What is your job? It seems you've been almost everywhere:)

I really don't travel too much. But when I do I make a point to get a nice steak dinner in that city. I go to one Giants away game a year, so that brings me different places.

BeerBaron
05-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Place called Texas Roadhose is opening up where I live soon. Wondering if anyone heard about it, and the reputation of their food and service.

they have the best ******* pre-meal rolls in all of existence. no joking either.

bsaza2358
05-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Texas Roadhouse. Haven't seen them in the direct DC vicinity yet.

cdub11
05-21-2008, 09:12 AM
they have the best ******* pre-meal rolls in all of existence. no joking either.

you are correct sir

bsaza2358
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I haven't had their rolls, but there's a place in Springfield, VA (outside of DC) that serves sweet rolls and honey butter. The rolls are essentially little munchkin donuts fresh out of the fryer, then you put the honey butter on top and dip it in sugar. It is incredible.

Mr.Regular
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
ARAP
As rare as possible

BeerBaron
05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
ARAP
As rare as possible

i had a friend in high school who was like that. i could have swore that if he had his way, theyd cut the meat straight off the cow, throw it on a plate, and serve it to him

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
i had a friend in high school who was like that. i could have swore that if he had his way, theyd cut the meat straight off the cow, throw it on a plate, and serve it to him

That would be me. I think the more you cook it, the more flavor you lose.

MetSox17
05-21-2008, 12:53 PM
That would be me. I think the more you cook it, the more flavor you lose.

Yeah, the more salmonella you lose too.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Its a risk I'm willing to take:)

Damix
05-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Their butter has like garlic or something in it. It is amazing.

05-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Medium rare sir.

eaglesalltheway
05-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I'll have to give them a visit. I got a buddy who will be working there soon, maybe I can get some deals;)

Nitschke-Hawk
05-21-2008, 02:15 PM
medium rare, medium well, you gotta find that middle ground between still alive, and destroyed.

terribletowel39
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I'll have to give them a visit. I got a buddy who will be working there soon, maybe I can get some deals;)
If you are talking about Texas Roadhouse it isn't that expensive. Between like 12-17 bucks for a steak. For a good ass steak, that isn't much.

BeerBaron
05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
If you are talking about Texas Roadhouse it isn't that expensive. Between like 12-17 bucks for a steak. For a good ass steak, that isn't much.

12-17 bucks is worth just the rolls imo. i cannot tell you how good these rolls are. words can not express just how good these rolls are....

and after you get done with the rolls, you get a steak! its win-freaking-win there

terribletowel39
05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
12-17 bucks is worth just the rolls imo. i cannot tell you how good these rolls are. words can not express just how good these rolls are....

and after you get done with the rolls, you get a steak! its win-freaking-win there
I am a huge bread and butter guy and you know who I have found to have delicious bread and butter?? The buffet joints ala Ryans and Golden Corral and places like that. Yummy yummy rolls with Honey Butter.

BeerBaron
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I am a huge bread and butter guy and you know who I have found to have delicious bread and butter?? The buffet joints ala Ryans and Golden Corral and places like that. Yummy yummy rolls with Honey Butter.

honey butter is good. can make any kind of roll or bread awesome.

usually when im at a buffet place though i try not to fill up on bread and things too much...the good ones have so much other stuff to eat

terribletowel39
05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
honey butter is good. can make any kind of roll or bread awesome.

usually when im at a buffet place though i try not to fill up on bread and things too much...the good ones have so much other stuff to eat
This is true but I could live on bread and butter and water. So i indulge. Also a really good place for bread is a place called Pieworks. Not sure how big it is. I know there were some in Louisiana and it opened in North Carolina or something like that but the bread is delicious.

BeerBaron
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
This is true but I could live on bread and butter and water. So i indulge. Also a really good place for bread is a place called Pieworks. Not sure how big it is. I know there were some in Louisiana and it opened in North Carolina or something like that but the bread is delicious.

never heard of it but ill check it out given the chance. i also assume they have pretty good pie based on their name, lol.

terribletowel39
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
never heard of it but ill check it out given the chance. i also assume they have pretty good pie based on their name, lol.
Its a pizza joint. But yea they got some good pizza. You can get alligator and snake and ostrich and anything you want on your pizza. It is deliciousness in and of itself.

BeerBaron
05-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Its a pizza joint. But yea they got some good pizza. You can get alligator and snake and ostrich and anything you want on your pizza. It is deliciousness in and of itself.

sounds like some pretty crazy toppings, lol

terribletowel39
05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
sounds like some pretty crazy toppings, lol
thats just if you so choose. you can get the boring stuff like sausage and canadian bacon. all that.