PDA

View Full Version : My ACC Preview/Predictions

NYGibril28
05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Gonna try and do this for every conference...Last year's results in ( )

Boston College Eagles (11-3, 6-2) Defeated Michigan State in Champs Sports Bowl

Key Departures: QB Matt Ryan, RB Andre Callender, RB L.V. Whitworth, WR Kevin Challenger, OT Gosder Cherilus, G Ryan Poles, DE Nick Larkin, LB, JoLonn Dunbar, CB DeJuan Tribble, S Jamie Silva, P Johnny Ayers

Chris Crane looks to be the favorite to replace departed QB Matt Ryan, but there isnít much of a supporting cast around him. Freshman Josh Haden may be the starting RB come September, and there isnít a whole lot of talent at WR either. The defense should still be good, with Brian Toal and B.J. Raji returning after both missing 2007, Toal to an injury, and Raji due to academic reasons.

Prediction: 5-7 (3-5)

Clemson Tigers(9-4, 5-3) Lost to Auburn 23-20 in Chick-fil-A Bowl

Key Departures: OT Barry Richardson, G Chris McDuffie, DE Philip Merling, LB Nick Watkins

They may have the best RB tandem in the country in James Davis and C.J. Spiller, and an experienced QB in Cullen Harper. Aaron Kelly and Jacoby Ford are also big play threats at WR. They have a couple spots to fill on the offensive line but donít expect much of a drop-off there. The defense should be solid, with Freshman DaQuan Powers possibly filling in for the departed Philip Merling.

Prediction: 10-2 (7-1)

Duke Blue Devils (1-11, 0-8)

Key Departures: LB Patrick Bailey, S Chris Davis

Thank goodness for basketball, but even thatís struggling at this point. David Cutcliffe should have this team playing better, but donít expect them to be competing for any ACC titles in the near future. Another long year for the Blue Devils.

Prediction: 1-11 (0-8)

Florida State Seminoles (7-6, 4-4) Lost to Kentucky 35-28 in the Music City Bowl

Key Departures: FB Joe Surratt, WR DeíCody Fagg, OL Shannon Boatman, G Jacky Claude, C Bobby Frady, DE Alex Boston, DT Andre Fluellen, DT Letroy Guion, LB Geno Hayes, CB J.R. Bryant, S Roger Williams

Christian Ponder may give Drew Weatherford a serious push for the starting QB spot. Weatherford has had a shaky career thus far. Antone Smith returns at RB, and they get Preston Parker for Week 3. The offense should be good enough to get them to a bowl. Myron Rolle anchors the defensive secondary.

Prediction: 7-5 (5-3)

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (7-6, 4-4) Lost to Fresno State 40-28 in the Humanitarian Bowl

Key Departures: QB Taylor Bennett, RB Tashard Choice, FB Mike Cox, G Nate McManus, C Kevin Tuminello, DE Adamm Oliver, DE Darrell Robertson, LB Gary Guyton, LB Philip Wheeler, S Jamal Lewis, P Durant Brooks

Last yearís starting QB Taylor Bennett chose to transfer, so itís unclear who will be the QB, either Josh Nesbitt or Calvin Booker. Georgia Tech is going to run the ball a ton this year, which might not be good for WR James Johnson. The defense has a lot of holes to fill, all-in-all, itís likely going to be a transition year for the Yellow Jackets.

Prediction: 4-8 (2-6)

Maryland Terrapins (6-7, 3-5) Lost to Oregon State 21-14 in the Emerald Bowl

Key Departures: RB Lance Ball, RB Keon Lattimore, FB Jason Goode, TE Joey Haynos, G Andrew Crummey, DT Dre Moore, LB Erin Henderson, CB Isaiah Gardner

The big question mark is at QB, where Jordan Steffy, Josh Portis and Chris Turner are competing for the job. Lance Ball and Keon Lattimore need to be replaced, and Morgan Green and DaíRel Scott are the favorites to do so. The defense is talented, even with the loss of Erin Henderson and Dre Moore, but the Terps might just be another year away.

Prediction: 5-7 (2-6)

Miami Hurricanes (5-7, 2-6)

Key Departures: QB Kyle Wright, WR Darnell Jenkins, WR Lance Leggett, G Andrew Bain, C Derrick Morse, DE Calais Campbell, DT Teraz McCray, LB Tavares Gooden, CB Glenn Sharpe, S Kenny Phillips

Like many teams in the conference, questions remain at QB. Graig Cooper should build on his strong rookie campaign but the defense has a few key contributors they need to replace in order for Miami to get back to a bowl.

Prediction: (6-6, 4-4)

North Carolina Tarheels (4-8, 3-5)

Key Departures: DT Kentwan Balmer, LB Durell Mapp, LB Hilee Taylor, K Connor Barth

Butch Davis has this team heading in the right direction. They have three QBís to choose from, and talent at the RB and WR position. All five offensive starters return on the O-Line. The question marks lie on the defense, where the Heels have problems at LB with depth. If some of the young guys step up, the Heels could be a sleeper team in the conference.

Prediction: 6-6 (4-4)

North Carolina State Wolfpack (5-7, 3-5)

Key Departures: WR Darrell Blackman, WR John Dunlap, G Kalani Heppe, DT DeMario Pressley, LB Le Rue Rumph, LB James Martin, CB Jimmie Sutton, S DaJuan Morgan, S Miguel Scott, K Steven Hauschka

Surprise, surprise, questions at QB. The Wolfpack have talent at RB though and should be better in that department this year. The defense has to be better though or it could be another year at the bottom of the league.

Prediction: 4-8 (3-5)

Virginia Cavaliers (9-4, 6-2) Lost to Texas Tech 31-28 in the Gator Bowl

Key Departures: QB Jameel Sewell, TE Tom Santi, G Brandel Albert, G Ian Yates-Cunningham, C Marcus Lipsey, DE Chris Long, LB Jermaine Dias, S Nathan Lyles, K Chris Gould

Peter Lalich steps in for the departed Jameel Sewell while Cedric Peerman and Kevin Ogletree return to the offense. The defense will have to cope with the loss of Chris Long, but the Cavaliers should have a nice season.

Prediction: 6-6 (4-4)

Virginia Tech Hokies (11-3, 7-1) Lost to Kansas 24-21 in the Orange Bowl

Key Departures: RB Branden Ore, WR Justin Harper, WR Josh Hyman, WR Josh Morgan, WR Eddie Royal, OT Duane Brown, DE Chris Ellis, DT Barry Booker, DT Carlton Powell, DT Korey Robertson, LB Xavier Adibi, LB Vince Hall, CB Brandon Flowers, CB Roland Minor, S D.J. Parker

After a disappointing end to the 2007 campaign, the Hokies look to rebound. Despite all there losses on defense and at WR the Hokies should be in good shape due to a weaker conference and not having to play Clemson. Sean Glennon and Tyrod Taylor return at QB, and Victor Harris and Kam Chancellor anchor the defense.

Prediction: 11-1 (7-1)

Wake Forest Demon Deacons (9-4, 5-3) Defeated Connecticut 24-10 in the Meineke Car Care Bowl

Key Departures: RB Micah Andrews, WR Kenneth Moore, G Louis Frazier, C Steve Justice, DE Matt Robinson, DE Jeremy Thompson

Riley Skinner returns for the Demon Deacons and that should be enough on the offense despite having to replace three starters on the offensive line. The defense should be solid once again and Wake Forest should find itís way to another bowl game.

Prediction: 8-4 (5-3)

All-Conference Team

QB: Riley Skinner, Wake Forest
RB: Graig Cooper, Miami (FL)
RB: C.J. Spiller, Clemson
WR: Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina
WR: Aaron Kelly, Clemson
TE: Anthony Hill, N.C. State
OT: Andre Smith, Florida State
G: Curtis Crouch, N.C. State
C: Thomas Austin, Clemson
G: Sergio Render, Virginia Tech
OT: Andrew Gardner, Georgia Tech

DE: Ricky Sapp, Clemson
DT: Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
DT: B.J. Raji, Boston College
DE: Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
LB: Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
LB: Brian Toal, Boston College
LB: Adrian Moten, Maryland
CB: Victor Harris, Virginia Tech
S: Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech
S: Michael Hamlin, Clemson
CB: Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest

K: Sam Swank, Wake Forest
P: Brent Bowden, Virginia Tech
KR: Jacoby Ford, Clemson

cottenr
05-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Wow, Clemson's offensive weapons really are outstanding this year. I'm a little surprised that you didn't get Cullen Harper and James Davis on the All conference team.

Just watch though, the Tigers will probably blow it against Duke or something.

ammandss
05-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Virginia had 3 other big losses in Jeffrey Fitzgerald, Chris Cook and Mike Brown. Also, if the Spring Game is any indication, Peter Lalich may not be the starting quarterback as the other two QBs on the team played much better. But the coaches did insulate Lalich from some blame by stating a couple of the 3 INTs were receivers' faults.

And the center from last year is Jordy Lipsey. ESPN wrote Marcus Lipsey and now it's everywhere.

georgiafan
05-21-2008, 09:14 AM
nice writeup, i'm pretty sure WR James Johnson left GT.

BigJohn98
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
James Johnson left GT, and Andre Smith does not play for FSU.

Joeyjr09
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Um how on earth does Jason Fox and Eric Moncur not get into the all ACC team? They are up there with the top OTs and DEs in the nation let alone conference.

I expect Miami to be better then 6-6. The only real losses to this team with Gooden, Campbell and Phillips. The rest were all sub par and we cut alot of guys in favor of youth and talent. Cooper isn't the only young guy we have coming up. You forget about Allen Bailey (althought he just got hurt), DVD, Sean Spence and others. Miami is not very experience but they have head and shoulder more talent then last season. Wish I could have seen more of an in depth report on them and you just skimmed over them, mention Cooper and moved on. Miami has alot of young studs almost ready to explode.

neko4
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I cant see VTech doing that well. I think this is finally Clemson's year. If they blow it this year I will lose whatever faith i had in bowden.

Cigaro
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow, Clemson's offensive weapons really are outstanding this year. I'm a little surprised that you didn't get Cullen Harper and James Davis on the All conference team.

Just watch though, the Tigers will probably blow it against Duke or something.

Trust me, they'll play in a game for a spot in the ACC championship, give up a last minute drive, and Tommy Bowden will say they were a touchdown away from a BCS win.

Seriously though, Clemson has the best offensive skill position players in the league. The offensive line will be at least one step down from last year, which wasn't great.

On defense, Ricky Sapp is going to have to do more than just run a fast 40 this year. He has potential to be a top pass rusher, but hasn't capitalized. Bowers will also need to make an immediate impact as a run stopping defensive end. With the loss of Courtney Vincent, their linebackers are a serious hole in the defense, and the weakest part of the whole team. This may cost them a few games against teams who gameplan well for that. As for their secondary, it should be solid.

All in all, here's my prediction for their season:

Aug. 30 Alabama- L
Sep. 6 The Citadel- W
Sep. 13 NC State- W
Sep. 20 South Carolina St.- W
Sep. 27 Maryland- W
Oct. 9 at Wake Forest- L
Oct. 18 Georgia Tech- W
Nov. 1 at Boston College- W
Nov. 8 at Florida State- L
Nov. 15 Duke- W
Nov. 22 at Virginia- W
Nov. 29 South Carolina- L*

This pick is 100% biased, as I'll never pick them to beat us.

neko4
05-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Aug. 30 Alabama- W
Sep. 6 The Citadel- W
Sep. 13 NC State- W
Sep. 27 Maryland- W
Oct. 9 at Wake Forest- ?
Oct. 18 Georgia Tech- W
Nov. 8 at Florida State- W
Nov. 15 Duke- W
Nov. 22 at Virginia- W
Nov. 29 South Carolina- L*

Im a big SEC guy, so for me to predict them to win over Bama is saying how much I love this Clemson team.

No Miami, no VTech, relativley easy ACC schedule

georgiafan
05-21-2008, 08:11 PM
How bad is Allen Bailey hurt ?

Hokie_Pokie08
05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
I cant see VTech doing that well. I think this is finally Clemson's year. If they blow it this year I will lose whatever faith i had in bowden.

you currently have faith in tommy bowden?

neko4
05-21-2008, 09:17 PM
you currently have faith in tommy bowden?
eh...i mean...tulane won a C-USA title under him!!

cottenr
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM

Aug. 30 Alabama- L
Sep. 6 The Citadel- W
Sep. 13 NC State- W
Sep. 27 Maryland- W
Oct. 9 at Wake Forest- W
Oct. 18 Georgia Tech- W
Nov. 8 at Florida State- W
Nov. 15 Duke- W
Nov. 22 at Virginia- W
Nov. 29 South Carolina- W

I do feel like we'll lose at least one ACC game, but I just can't pick which one.

I also feel like we can beat Alabama, I just think its too early in the season. We will still have a lot of questions at O-line and linebacker at that time, and I don't think it will bode well.

Cigaro
05-22-2008, 03:42 PM
lol at you having Clemson living up to expectations.

Don Vito
05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
BC gets no love, I am pretty sure they will have at least a winning record. A lot of skill guys stepped up in the spring, the OL looks good, and the defense should be one of the conference's best.

Cigaro
05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
BC gets no love, I am pretty sure they will have at least a winning record. A lot of skill guys stepped up in the spring, the OL looks good, and the defense should be one of the conference's best.

I think within a few years, BCs Anthony Castonzo will be the top tackle in his class. Despite weighing around 270 pounds and being a true freshman, he was able to start every game, and play well, at right tackle. With Castonzo most likely being moved to his natural left tackle spot, and given some time to bulk up, he should dominate for the next few years and become the next great BC lineman.