PDA

View Full Version : My Big 10 Preview/Predictions

NYGibril28
05-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Illinois Fighting Illini (9-4, 6-2) Lost to USC 49-14 in the Rose Bowl

Key Departures: RB Rashard Mendenhall, WR Jacob Willis, OT Akim Millington, G Martin ODonnell, DT Chris Norwell, LB J Leman, S Justin Harrison, S Kevin Mitchell, K Jason Reda

The Illini may not be quite as good without Rashard Mendenhall, but they are good enough to get to another bowl. Juice Williams is back at QB, and Arrelious Benn looks to make improvements from his freshman campaign at WR. Vontae Davis is one of the best CBs in the country and a major piece to that defense. Losing defensive captain J Leman may hurt.

Prediction: 7-5 (4-4)

Indiana Hoosiers (7-6, 3-5) Lost to Oklahoma State 49-33 in the Insight Bowl

Key Departures: WR James Bailey, WR James Hardy, CB Leslie Majors, CB Tracy Porter, LS Tim Bugg

Kellen Lewis was suspended for the spring, and Ben Chappell stepped up in his absence. Its who the starting QB will be throwing to that is the problem with Hardy and Bailey gone. The defense loses its top two CB but should be good enough to have the Hoosiers competing for another bowl game.

Prediction: 5-7 (2-6)

Iowa Hawkeyes (6-6, 4-4)

Key Departures: RB Damian Sims, RB Albert Young, DE Kenny Iwebema, LB Mike Humpal, LB Mike Klinkenborg, CB Charles Godfrey

Despite losing so many starters the defense was much improved in the spring game. A few players stepped up and have this unit heading in the right direction. Jake Christensen is back at QB, but whos going to carry the ball, and will the line hold up?

Prediction: 4-8 (1-7)

Michigan Wolverines (9-4, 6-2) Defeated Florida 41-35 in the Capital One Bowl

Key Departures: QB Chad Henne, QB Ryan Mallet, RB Mike Hart, WR Adrian Arrington, WR Mario Manningham, OT Jake Long, G Justin Boren, G Adam Kraus, LB Shawn Crable, LB Chris Graham, S Jamar Adams, S Brandent Englemon

The defense should be better than it was last year, but the big question in Ann Arbor is whos going to step up on offense. Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan are still competing for the starting QB spot, while Brandon Minor looks to shoulder the load at RB.

Michigan State Spartans (7-6, 3-5) Lost to Boston College 24-21 in the Champs Sports Bowl

Key Departures: RB Jehuu Caulcrick, WR Terry Love, WR Devin Thomas, TE Kellen Davis, C John Masters, DE Erwin Baldwin, DE Jonal Saint-Dic, DT Ogemdie Nwagbuo, LB SirDarean Adams, LB Kaleb Thornhill, S Nehemiah Warrick

Javon Ringer is back and looks to improve upon his impressive Junior campaign at RB. The offense has to be better though, and with questions on the offensive line, that could be tough. The defense looks to be good, despite losing so many starters.

Prediction: 4-8 (2-6)

Minnesota Golden Gophers (1-11, 0-8)

Key Departures: RB Amir Pinnix, FB Justin Valentine, WR Logan Payne, WR Ernie Wheelwright, C Tony Brinkhaus, S Dominique Barber

The defense was the worst in the country last year, and they must improve that if they want any shot at getting to a bowl game. Tramaine Brook created a lot of buzz this spring at safety, a good sign. Adam Weber also had a nice spring and looks to carry that into the regular season.

Prediction: 5-7 (1-7)

Northwestern Wildcats (6-6, 3-5)

Key Departures: OT Dylan Thiry, C Trevor Rees, LB Adam Kadela, CB Deante Battle

QB C.J. Bacher and RB Tyrell Sutton return and that should really make the offense a threat. However, questions remain on the offensive line, having to replace three starters. The defense has talent, but depth remains an issue in the secondary.

Prediction: 5-7 (1-7)

Ohio State Buckeyes (11-2, 7-1) Lost to LSU 38-24 in the National Championship

Key Departures: FB Dionte Johnson, OT Kirk Barton, DE Vernon Gholston, LB Larry Grant

The Buckeyes return a ton of talent from a national championship team and figure to be right in that picture again. Todd Boeckman, Chris Wells, Brian Robiskies and Brian Hartline headline a very good offensive unit. The defense, arguably the best in the country last year, loses only two starters, and returns the whole starting secondary. Malcolm Jenkins and James Laurinaitis are DPOY candidates.

Prediction: 11-1 (8-0)

Penn State Nittany Lions (9-4, 4-4) Defeated Texas A&M 24-17 in the Alamo Bowl

Key Departures: QB Anthony Morelli, Rodney Kinlaw, RB Austin Scott, LB Dan Connor, LB Sean lee (injury), CB Justin King

Joe Paterno is still around, but he could be in store for a long season. Questions remain at QB and RB, and losing Sean Lee, an all-american LB for the season is a huge blow. Itll be interesting to see how they bounce back from that.

Purdue Boilermakers (8-5, 3-5) Defeated Central Michigan 51-48 in the Motor City Bowl

Key Departures: TE Dustin Keller, WR Dorien Bryant, WR Selwyn Lymon, OT Sean Sester, G Jordan Grimes, C Robbie Powell, DE Cliff Avril, LB Stanford Keglar, CB Terrell Vinson, S Justin Scott, P Jared Armstrong

QB Curtis Painter is one of the best returning QBs in the country, and he has a couple good RBs behind him in Kory Sheets and Jaycen Taylor. The WR and OL corps will have to be revamped, and the defense lost a couple key contributors as well. Painter has the talent to lead the Boilermakes to the promised land, unfortunately, he doesnt have quite the supporting cast or defense he needs.

Prediction: 8-4 (6-2)

Wisconsin Badgers (9-4, 5-3) Lost to Tennessee 21-17 in the Outback Bowl

Key Departures: QB Taylor Donovan, FB Andrew Crooks, WR Paul Hubbard, WR Luke Swan, C Marcus Coleman, DT Nick Hayden, CB Jack Ikegwuonu, K Taylor Mehlhaff, P Ken DeBauche

RB P.J. Hill returns, and his QB will be either Allan Evridge or Dustin Sherer. The Badgers look to ride hill to the promised land, as the WR corps is depleted. The defense should be great once again and Wisconsin could challenge Ohio State for the Big 10 title.

Prediction: 10-2 (6-2)

All-Conference Team

QB: Todd Boeckam, Ohio State
RB: Chris Wells, Ohio State
RB: P.J. Hill, Wisconsin
WR: Brian Robiskie, Ohio State
WR: Derrick Williams, Penn State
TE: Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
OT: Alex Boone, Ohio State
G: Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
C: A.Q. Shipley, Penn State
G: Dan Doering, Iowa
OT: Josh Oglesby, Wisconsin

DE: Mitch King, Iowa
DT: Terrance Taylor, Michigan
DT: Jason Chapman, Wisconsin
DE: Maurice Evans, Penn State
LB: James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
LB: Tim Jamison, Michigan
LB: Marcus Freeman, Ohio State
CB: Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
S: Shane Carter, Wisconsin
S: Jamario ONeal, Ohio State
CB: Vontae Davis, Illinois

K: Austin Starr, Indiana
P: A.J. Trapasso, Ohio State
KR: Kory Sheets, Purdue

keylime_5
05-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I would be surprised if Jamario started, let alone got 1st team Big Ten.....but he will be the nickelback and play the same position that Donte Whitner, Mike Doss, Will Allen, and Antonio Smith played and every single one of those guys was 1st team all big ten. Considering how much we play nickel and how much success the "star" or nickelback position has had in our defense O'Neal being all big ten this year could happen if he has the mental part of the game down finally. The guy is a physical freak but hasn't gotten it together yet.

iowatreat54
05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Mitch King is a DT, not a DE...other than Iowa finishing worst in the conference, good write up...we have a chance to go anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4 depending on how our offense improves (or declines), hopefully we surprise some people

Sniper
05-21-2008, 03:13 PM
All-Conference Team

S: Jamario ONeal, Ohio State

We have a Big 10 thread, but hey whatever. Some bones to pick about the All Big-10 pick (I'm not gonna go through the whole thing. 7-5 sounds about right to me)

- Todd Boeckman, not Todd Boeckam
- I should slap you for having Derrick Williams on that team. He's the third best receiver on his own team.
- Tim Jamison is a DE, not a LB.
- PSU's punter, Jeremy Boone, is the best punter in the Big 10.

ToldLikeItIs
05-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Hawks 10-2

King, Edds, Donahue First Team

Ballard, Moeaki 2nd team

Hawks surprise team of the year. Always.

Sniper
05-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Hawks 10-2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ToldLikeItIs
05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
* EDIT

Iowa has a better record than Michigan.

Sniper
05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
* EDIT

Iowa has a better record than Michigan.

Wouldn't surprise me. At least for Michigan it would be an aberration to have a crappy year, not just another year to suck like Iowa. Plus, we'll still have the nation's longest bowl streak.

Unbiased
06-08-2008, 02:37 PM
All-Conference Team

S: Jamario O’Neal, Ohio State

Really bad picks in bold. Williams, Doering, and O'Neal are probably there because they are former star recruits. They aren't very good. Boone and Donahue are better punters than Trapasso. Put Thigpen or Wallace at KR over Sheets. Move King to DT and put the nation's leading sack king from a year ago at DE.

neko4
06-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Call me crazy but I think Northwestern could suprise some people this year. Its a down year in the Big 10 so I think its possible.

Who is Mendenhall's replacement looking going to be?

princefielder28
06-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Call me crazy but I think Northwestern could suprise some people this year. Its a down year in the Big 10 so I think its possible.

Mendenhall's replacement may be his brother, and I agree that Northwestern could be a sleeper in the Big Ten. They have an experienced QB in Bacher and a talented back in Sutton so that offense has the capability to put up points.

I see it being no problme whatsoever for Ohio State to win the conference, Wisconsin needs to figure out their QB situation and secondary questions if they are to compete, and Penn State has alot of talent and firepower but they need to put it together with a new QB under center.

Brent
06-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Boeckman over Painter? I dont know about that one.

princefielder28
06-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Boeckman over Painter? I dont know about that one.

Success and production are the main factors in deciding "First Teamers." There's no denying that Ohio State will do much better than Purdue and I think a good case can be made that Boeckman will put up better production than Painter. Painter has lost his top three targets and it may be tough for him to duplicate his past production early in the season. Boeckman may not translate quite as well to the next level for some, but he's surrounded by Wells, Robiskie, and Hartline with a very good offensive line protecting him. I personally believe that Boeckman's production can be just as good as any QB in any system in college football and tie that in with the projected success of Ohio State he could very well be First Team Big Ten and possibly First Team All American competing with the likes of Tim Tebow

Unbiased
06-08-2008, 06:17 PM

Probably Daniel Dufrene.

OhioState
06-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I would be surprised if Jamario started, let alone got 1st team Big Ten.....but he will be the nickelback and play the same position that Donte Whitner, Mike Doss, Will Allen, and Antonio Smith played and every single one of those guys was 1st team all big ten. Considering how much we play nickel and how much success the "star" or nickelback position has had in our defense O'Neal being all big ten this year could happen if he has the mental part of the game down finally. The guy is a physical freak but hasn't gotten it together yet.

you sure? isn't Chimdi Chekwa gonna play nickel? or are you assuming that Washington gets into trouble/kicked off the team?

keylime_5
06-08-2008, 07:49 PM
you sure? isn't Chimdi Chekwa gonna play nickel? or are you assuming that Washington gets into trouble/kicked off the team?

They want Jamario at nickelback/star/hero b/c he can play the run well enough and they want to keep Malcolm and Donald at CB instead of moving Malcolm to nickel and putting Chekwa at corner. Chekwa can't play inside as well as Jamario b/c he becomes a liability against the run and the nickel in our defense blitzes a lot, I think O'Neal will be good at that. Word has it that O'Neal's read/react and recognition have gotten a lot better. Chekwa is our 3rd corner but Jamario is the nickel right now. Of course if O'Neal stinks then Chekwa moves inside to nickel and we don't stop the run as well in the nickel.

OhioState
06-08-2008, 08:07 PM
They want Jamario at nickelback/star/hero b/c he can play the run well enough and they want to keep Malcolm and Donald at CB instead of moving Malcolm to nickel and putting Chekwa at corner. Chekwa can't play inside as well as Jamario b/c he becomes a liability against the run and the nickel in our defense blitzes a lot, I think O'Neal will be good at that. Word has it that O'Neal's read/react and recognition have gotten a lot better. Chekwa is our 3rd corner but Jamario is the nickel right now. Of course if O'Neal stinks then Chekwa moves inside to nickel and we don't stop the run as well in the nickel.

ahh ok, that makes sense i guess, hopefully oneil plays up to potential cuz then our secondary would just be nasty

keylime_5
06-08-2008, 08:34 PM
O'Neal's performance in the nickel will be the xfactor for the secondary I think. If he doesn't work out they might shift them around again which won't be good considering they want to play more man this year with Washington and Jenkins as excellent bookends at corner, both being future NFL corners.

504 to ATL
06-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Damn those predictions make for one weak year in the Big 11.

srv fan
06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
I really, really doubt Purdue goes 8-4. Tiller's West Coast system is completely dependent on how well the QB and WRs work together with routes, timing, etc. in order to make their endless short passes work, and they will have to basically break in a new WR corp. Painter is a very good system QB, but he's not some sort of transcendent talent who can lift the team. They won't be bad, but I don't think they will be good.

playerboy
06-13-2008, 02:33 AM
very good.