PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NHL Draft thread

Geo
05-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't see an NHL draft thread, so let's make one.

Honestly, I don't know much about the prospects, other than really hearing about Stamkos and that there are also some top-notch defensemen to follow him come the Draft.

But with the Leafs having the 7th overall pick, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the top candidates are Cody Hodgson, Mikkel Boedker, and Nikita Filatov.

Hodgson seems like a great guy, Ontario native who seems to have future captain written over him, a second line center if not first line (which is likely with the Leafs). Great hockey sense, has speed but also plays physical. Might be more of a safer pick with less upside.

Boedker seems to be a quick and highly talented offensive player.

And Filatov looks like the ultimate wild card. Opinions seem to vary on him I see, from future bust thanks to being too soft, to the second best player in the Draft and compared to Ilya Kovalchuk. Also has concerns wrt a transfer agreement coming from Russia which could drop him, like Cherepanov last year, and weight although he's still a young developing guy. Potential playmaker.

Not sure who I'd go for, Filatov is tempting, but I also like Hodgson. I'd be happy with either of the three I suppose, one of them is bound to reach the Leafs' pick. Thoughts? I know Max is big on Filatov, and that the Leafs would be very well served to draft him.

Jensen
05-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I doubt Filatov falls all the way down to 7. He has a lot of talent and I don't see him slipping out of the top 5. The only knock I've seen on him is that he's very undersized, only weighing in around 160 lbs.

Depending on whether Toronto is looking for a defenseman or forward, their BPA at 7 IMO looks to be Luke Schenn. He won't produce much offensively, but he could possibly be the next Robyn Regehr, maybe even better.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Kings = Doughty

mmm!

Sniper
I personally think Steve Stamkos is a tad overrated. When I watched him play at the WJC, he didn't really stand out. He does go hard every shift from what I saw, but I was significantly more impressed with John Tavares.

Geo
I think Schenn might be taken before the Leafs' pick, as a promising physical defensemen. I'd like him too.

But I agree with you on Filatov, he's confident in coming to North America ASAP and will probably be taken in the Top 5.

Jensen
05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
I personally think Steve Stamkos is a tad overrated. When I watched him play at the WJC, he didn't really stand out. He does go hard every shift from what I saw, but I was significantly more impressed with John Tavares.

John Tavares is a significantly better prospect than Stamkos. I haven't been following Tavares much lately, but last season he was being hyped to be the next Crosby. Stamkos will be Tampa's #2 center next year unless Tampa screws themselves over. I don't think Stamkos will be a top 3 center in the league like he is being hyped up to be, but I do think he will be able to get over 100 points multiple times in his career.

MaxV
05-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Filatov is PISSED OFF at his current club CSKA and has already stated that he's going to NA next year.

I can't deny it, I'm VERY high on him. He's a better prospect then what Cherepanov was last year.

BTW, there is one thing about Filatov's game that everyone seems to be overlooking, his ability on defense. Everyone seems to assume that just because he's a Russian prospect he sucks on defense, that's a WRONG assumption.

Filatov might acctually be the best penalty-killing forward in this draft. He's an expert at getting takeaways. Opponents have to be careful with their passes when he's around, because he's VERY quick and knows how to anticipate and intercept. He's no stranger to short-handed breakaway goals.

I won't lie, his size is a concern. But he's still a teenager and perhaps he can still add some bulk.

Plus, it's not like Stamkos is huge.

Sniper
05-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Neither was Patrick Kane. Looks like it's working out.

MaxV
05-22-2008, 09:54 PM
BTW, regarding Tevares, there is so much hype about him, yet he's listed as #2 prospect for next years class.

Sweden's D-man Victor Hedman is widely considered the top prospect for that draft. I've heard he's a freak of nature.

fischbowl
05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
((prays Alex Pietrangelo will fall to the Sabres at 13))

Geo
05-22-2008, 11:11 PM
BTW, regarding Tevares, there is so much hype about him, yet he's listed as #2 prospect for next years class.

Sweden's D-man Victor Hedman is widely considered the top prospect for that draft. I've heard he's a freak of nature.
I want Tavares for the Leafs so bad. But to fully tank this season, which is an awful tactic, it would mean trading away Toskala. It won't happen with a stud like him playing, regardless of how bad the defense is in front of him.

Any thoughts on Hodgson or Boedker? Wish I saw either of them play.

Jensen
05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
((prays Alex Pietrangelo will fall to the Sabres at 13))

The only way the Sabres get him is if they trade up to around the #5 pick.

fischbowl
05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
The only way the Sabres get him is if they trade up to around the #5 pick.

I'm aware........A Man Can Dream Damn'it

Jensen
05-22-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm aware........A Man Can Dream Damn'it

At least the Sabres actually have a pick worth something in this draft. The Sharks begin their draft strategy in the 4th round.

fischbowl
05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
At least the Sabres actually have a pick worth something in this draft. The Sharks begin their draft strategy in the 4th round.

Yeah we have the 26th pick as well from San Jose. This can easily turn into Pietrangelo or a top 6 pick but with no first last year, it may be best off keeping both

JF4
05-22-2008, 11:37 PM

I still think i'd have to give the slight edge to Tavares, though the two are definately neck and neck in the top prospect race.

Tavares has been nearly a 2 point a game player for his two years in the OHL and alot of the bottom feaders in the NHL will value an elite playmaker and goalscorer slightly more than an elite defenceman. Many teams are in search of the young superstar forward to not only lead their team in scoring, but to be the face of the franchise. With JT almost being a lock to be a productive NHL player, right now I just can't see the #1 overall team passing up on him.

Wootylicous
05-23-2008, 01:13 AM
I just want David Toews. :D

Xiomera
05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
So who will be the next 7th round pick to become a star for the Red Wings?

Jonathan Ericsson was the last pick of the entire draft a few years back, and he is likely gonna be on our roster next year.

Geo
05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
I saw a little bit of Mikkel Boedker yesterday in the Memorial Cup semi-final game that NHLN thankfully aired, although he didn't do too much that I saw (their top line or whatever it was dominated the heck out of the other team though, it was beatdown city).

For the Leafs, personal rankings (edited as of 5/28, with some further thought):

1. Nikita Filatov- don't think he reaches the pick though, he'll likely be snatched up in the Top 5, but I would gladly take the chance if he could fall to #7.

2. Mikkel Boedker- could likely be an even better scorer if he's willing to use his wicked shot more, as is already a potent offensive weapon with very impressive speed, skill, and skating, plus he's more than just completely one-dimensional.

3. Luke Schenn- Schenn should be higher and prob won't reach the pick, and the Leafs badly need a stay at home physical guy like him (he should probably be 2B) ... but it's probably a little easier to find a defensive defenseman later on in the Draft and/or be the cheaper option in free agency relative to other roles/positions.

4/5. Cody Hodgson/Colin Wilson- two closely and highly ranked center prospects, I like Hodgson a great deal and would give him the slight nod. Both guys seem to have potential future captains and stellar second-line centers if not first-line centers written on them, given their make-up, hockey sense, and desire that extend past physical limitations.

Also, Schenn's teammate Tyler Myers I think it is being brought up by some. Described as a freakish prospect in terms of size and speed with clear Zdeno Chara comparison, but he's got Project written all over him. Horrible +/- over the last year or two, if I recall. I think I'd want to pass, too much of a project for me.

Kyle Beach is a talent, but has had penalty and concussion issues, I believe.

fenikz
05-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Who do you guys think the Coyotes look at?

Wootylicous
05-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Who do you guys think the Coyotes look at?

Cody Hodgson is a guy I like for the coyotes.

Geo
05-24-2008, 05:21 PM
btw, here's the first round draft order for anyone (cough, mockers, cough) wondering: [updated after Stanley Cup Finals]

Round 1
1 Tampa Bay Lightning
2 Los Angeles Kings
3 Atlanta Thrashers
4 St. Louis Blues
5 New York Islanders
6 Columbus Blue Jackets
7 Toronto Maple Leafs
8 Phoenix Coyotes
9 Nashville Predators (from Florida)
10 Vancouver Canucks
11 Chicago Blackhawks
12 Anaheim Ducks (from Edmonton)
13 Buffalo Sabres
14 Carolina Hurricanes
15 Nashville Predators
16 Boston Bruins
17 Calgary Flames
18 Ottawa Senators
19 Columbus Blue Jackets (from Colorado)
20 New York Rangers
21 New Jersey Devils
22 Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim)
23 Washington Capitals
24 Minnesota Wild
25 Montreal Canadiens
26 Buffalo Sabres (from San Jose)
27 Philadelphia Flyers
28 Los Angeles Kings (from Dallas)
29 Atlanta Thrashers (from Pittsburgh)
30 Detroit Red Wings

Stamkos to TB is a given.

Canadian_kid16
05-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Toskala and McCabe and Blake to TB for their first round pick!

I can also dream, can't I?

Geo
05-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Leafs need to stop dicking around (go to hell Peddie) and hire a GM and a coach, ugh.

I'd be happy with Dave Nonis (formerly of the Canucks) and Joel Quennevile (formerly of the Avs), respectively.

PACKmanN
05-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Toskala and McCabe and Blake to TB for their first round pick!

I can also dream, can't I?

getting rid of your best goaltender? how is that smart...

Canadian_kid16
05-24-2008, 06:15 PM
getting rid of your best goaltender? how is that smart...

tank the season to get Tavares, and then have Pogge fill in

HChu
05-24-2008, 06:32 PM
This is a good feeling not picking in the Top 5 of the Draft, but any chances a good defensive defenseman will be available at 23?

Geo
05-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Most likely, taking a look at the Top 30 as ranked by the ISS (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10353/iss_top302008_prospects_for_may/), there are some defensivemen there.

Also, there's a good Caps draft site (http://dcprosportsreport.com/NHLMocks.htm), in the mold of the Redskins one, where they show updated mocks on the internets and what Caps pick each has.

Some full 1st round mocks:

http://www.mynhldraft.com

http://www.hockey.com/hockey-blogs/junior-hockey-news/1046-2008-nhl-mock-draft---picks-1-10.aspx

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=512614

And some guys went the distance with a full 7-round mock (http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=200458), wow.

MaxV
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Pens won't pick until the 4th round. I don't expect a great class.

Jensen
05-24-2008, 10:45 PM
I'll try my best at a 1st round...
1. Tampa Bay Lightning - Steven Stamkos, C
2. Los Angeles Kings - Drew Doughty, D
3. Atlanta Thrashers - Zach Bogosian, D
4. St. Louis Blues - Nikita Filatov, LW
5. New York Islanders - Alex Pieterangelo, D
6. Columbus Blue Jackets - Luke Schenn, D
7. Toronto Maple Leafs - Cody Hodgson, C
8. Phoenix Coyotes - Luca Sbisa, D
9. Nashville Predators (from Florida) - Colin Wilson, C
10. Vancouver Canucks - Mikkel Boedker, LW
11. Chicago Blackhawks - Kyle Beach, C
12. Anaheim Ducks (from Edmonton) - Zac Boychuk, C
13. Buffalo Sabres - Tyler Myers, D
14. Carolina Hurricanes - Colten Teubert, D
15. Nashville Predators - Kirill Petrov, LW
16. Boston Bruins - Mattias Tedenby, LW
17. Calgary Flames - Joshua Bailey, C
18. Ottawa Senators - Thomas McCollum, G
19. Columbus Blue Jackets (from Colorado) - Nicolas Deschamps, C
20. New York Rangers - Colby Robak, D
21. New Jersey Devils - Joe Colborne, LW
22. Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim) - Evgeny Grachev, C
23. Washington Capitals - Zac Dalpe, C
24. Minnesota Wild - John Carlson, D
25. Montreal Canadiens - David Toews, LW
26. Buffalo Sabres (from San Jose) - Mikhail Stefanovich, RW
27. Philadelphia Flyers - Tyler Cuma, D
28. Los Angeles Kings (from Dallas) - Anton Gustafsson, C
29. Atlanta Thrashers (from Pittsburgh) - Greg Nemisz, C
30. Detroit Red Wings - Mark Borowiecki, D (really like this guy)

Wootylicous
05-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I heart you Jensen! David Toews <3

Xiomera
05-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Well then its good you gave him to us . . .

What can you tell me about him?

Sniper
05-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I heart you Jensen! David Toews <3

David Toews+ZOMGZ MAX PACIORETTY=Championship!

Jensen
05-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Well then its good you gave him to us . . .

What can you tell me about him?

He's really physical, a good hitter, and great along the boards. He doesn't have a great shot, but he is really good defensively and has pretty good speed. He reminds me a little of Kronwall, but maybe a little worse offensively and a little better defensively. He will probably be a scrapper too.

fischbowl
05-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Nice work Jensen but Teubert would be preferred to Myers and EFFIN PIETRANGELO TO THE ******* ISLANDERS!!!!! BOO!

05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Filatov is PISSED OFF at his current club CSKA and has already stated that he's going to NA next year.

I can't deny it, I'm VERY high on him. He's a better prospect then what Cherepanov was last year.

BTW, there is one thing about Filatov's game that everyone seems to be overlooking, his ability on defense. Everyone seems to assume that just because he's a Russian prospect he sucks on defense, that's a WRONG assumption.

Filatov might acctually be the best penalty-killing forward in this draft. He's an expert at getting takeaways. Opponents have to be careful with their passes when he's around, because he's VERY quick and knows how to anticipate and intercept. He's no stranger to short-handed breakaway goals.

I won't lie, his size is a concern. But he's still a teenager and perhaps he can still add some bulk.

The way you put it Filatov sounds a lot like fellow Russian Pavel Datsyuk!

MaxV
05-25-2008, 10:13 PM
The way you put it Filatov sounds a lot like fellow Russian Pavel Datsyuk!

That's the player he's being compared to the most acctually.

MaxV
05-25-2008, 10:42 PM
BTW, it looks like Bruins' 2006 2nd round pick, d-man Yuri Alexandrov, will re-enter the draft. The deal between 2 sides will probably not be reached and Bruins won't be compensated.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2008/05/18/willing_to_pass_up_a_shot/

Prime example of dangers surrounding drafting Russian prospects.

Xiomera
05-26-2008, 09:05 AM
He's really physical, a good hitter, and great along the boards. He doesn't have a great shot, but he is really good defensively and has pretty good speed. He reminds me a little of Kronwall, but maybe a little worse offensively and a little better defensively. He will probably be a scrapper too.

Sounds good to me, though Detroit has a stable of young defenseman at the moment.

I think the Wings will draft a winger or a goalie this year.

Hines
05-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I wished the Pens had a 1, 2, 4,6 round pick. But oh well, they made moves to win now.

MaxV
05-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I wished the Pens had a 1, 2, 4,6 round pick. But oh well, they made moves to win now.

Pens have the 4th rounder. It's the 3rd round pick that they are missing.

Hines
05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Pens have the 4th rounder. It's the 3rd round pick that they are missing.

I thought they traded their first for Hossa and a second and fourth for Gill.

MaxV
05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I thought they traded their first for Hossa and a second and fourth for Gill.

They traded 2008 2nd rounder and 2009 5th rounder for Gill.

They also traded 2008 3rd rounder for Laraque.

Geo
05-28-2008, 01:08 AM
Two stellar articles re: the Leafs and the Draft, by Leafs blogger Alec Brownscombe: the first focusing on Defense (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15413), the second on Offense (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15463) (excellent focus on Cody Hodgson vs. Mikkel Boedker).

KCJ58
05-28-2008, 01:54 AM
I'll try my best at a 1st round...
4. St. Louis Blues - Nikita Filatov, LW
5. New York Islanders - Alex Pieterangelo, D
7. Toronto Maple Leafs - Cody Hodgson, C
8. Phoenix Coyotes - Luca Sbisa, D
10. Vancouver Canucks - Mikkel Boedker, LW
11. Chicago Blackhawks - Kyle Beach, C
12. Anaheim Ducks (from Edmonton) - Zac Boychuk, C
13. Buffalo Sabres - Tyler Myers, D
15. Nashville Predators - Kirill Petrov, LW
18. Ottawa Senators - Thomas McCollum, G
21. New Jersey Devils - Joe Colborne, LW
22. Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim) - Evgeny Grachev, C
23. Washington Capitals - Zac Dalpe, C
26. Buffalo Sabres (from San Jose) - Mikhail Stefanovich, RW
27. Philadelphia Flyers - Tyler Cuma, D
29. Atlanta Thrashers (from Pittsburgh) - Greg Nemisz, C

Drew Doughty seems to be the perfect pick for us, havent heard much of Gustafsson but would also like Dalpe if he's still there

Geo
05-28-2008, 12:52 PM
http://nhlentrydraft2008.com

Kick-ass site for the Draft, it's like NFLDC for the NHL. Has central scouting rankings, scouting reports, interviews, videos, and even a countdown timer. :D

MaxV
05-29-2008, 11:20 AM
http://nhlentrydraft2008.com

Kick-ass site for the Draft, it's like NFLDC for the NHL. Has central scouting rankings, scouting reports, interviews, videos, and even a countdown timer. :D

Is there a reason why they don't have Mikhail Stefanovich on any list?

BTW, they also think that Evgeni Grachev is overrated and I happen to agree.

On the other hand, Viacheslav Voinov is very underrated imo. I believe he's the second best Euro prospect in this draft, with mid-1st round caliber ability.

Geo
05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I revised my earlier Leafs rankings, I'm warming up to the idea of Boedker.

Although really, there's a number of guys I would be happy with.

TimD
05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
My good friend Alex Velischek has a good chance of being drafted, but not in the top 100. He plays on the best midget team in my state and the number 1 HS. He's already committed to Providence (his dad went there) and he still has 1 year left in hs. He's quite nasty at roller hockey too and since I play goalie in roller hockey he snips me all the time.

he probably won't be drafted til next year since he's only 17 and this is his first year of eligibility.

TimD
05-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Sounds good to me, though Detroit has a stable of young defenseman at the moment.

I think the Wings will draft a winger or a goalie this year.

Yeah I agree. The NHL draft is hard to really call because most of the first rounders won't see this ice for another year at the very least.

Geo
05-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Scouting the Draft's top forwards (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2008-05-28-draft-forwards_N.htm)

Geo
05-30-2008, 01:04 PM
TSN's Combine blog (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239235&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main)

Impressive bench showing by Colin Wilson.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-30-2008, 08:57 PM
I have figured out who the Kings will draft at #2!

It will be Doughty or Bogo....

I was just kidding, I don't know. But seriously, I think Dean and co really like Bogo.

JF4
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
TSN's Combine blog (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239235&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main)

Impressive bench showing by Colin Wilson.

Gotta love the NHL combine...with their measuring of situps and pushups.

Steve Stamkos only did 36 pushups, looks like the #1 overall spot is slipping away.

But seriously, how could he not be able to more than that? I could do that in my sleep.

Geo
05-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Could Alex Pietrangelo fall to the Leafs at 7? Seems like he's the one of the big four defensemen (with Doughty, Bogosian, and Schenn) who isn't particularly hot going into the Draft right now. Seems like wishful thinking to me, I don't know.

Geo
06-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Scouting the Draft's top defensemen (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2008-06-05-draft-defensemen_N.htm)

Also, maybe someone is interested, 08 Draft ticket info (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=363204).

Chucky
06-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I hope Filitov falls to the leafs, that is best case right now

06-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Could Alex Pietrangelo fall to the Leafs at 7? Seems like he's the one of the big four defensemen (with Doughty, Bogosian, and Schenn) who isn't particularly hot going into the Draft right now. Seems like wishful thinking to me, I don't know.

My ideal situation at #7 would be Filatov or Pietrangelo. Most mock drafts I've seen have both of them going only a few picks ahead of us. It seems Filatov has almost worked his way into a top 5 lock at this point.

Geo
06-08-2008, 12:17 PM
That would be very exciting. :D

Same with Mikkel Boedker imo, he's getting used to the North American game nicely, and has speed and skill to be a potential first-line winger (which the Leafs could obviously use).

Wouldn't be disappointed with Hodgson or Wilson either, both guys look like very good two-way center prospects with intangibles. Leafs have greater need at center, positionally speaking, but honestly they really need the best talent they can get and those two wingers likely have the higher upside.

Wootylicous
06-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Mikkel Boedker is a freakin beast. I'm already a fan of this guy and looking forward to see him in the nhl.

Jensen
06-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Trying again with a mock

4. St. Louis Blues - Alex Pieterangelo, D
5. New York Islanders - Nikita Filatov, LW
7. Toronto Maple Leafs - Mikkel Boedker, LW
8. Phoenix Coyotes - Tyler Myers, D
9. Nashville Predators (from Florida) - Cody Hodgson, C
10. Vancouver Canucks - Colin Wilson, C
11. Chicago Blackhawks - Zac Boychuk, C
12. Anaheim Ducks (from Edmonton) - Kyle Beach, C
13. Buffalo Sabres - Luca Sbisa, D
15. Nashville Predators - Michael Del Zotto, D
18. Ottawa Senators - Tyler Cuma, D
21. New Jersey Devils - Jordan Eberle, C
22. Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim) - Zac Dalpe, C
23. Washington Capitals - Greg Nemisz, C
26. Buffalo Sabres (from San Jose) - Kirill Petrov, LW
27. Philadelphia Flyers - Aaron Ness, D
29. Atlanta Thrashers (from Pittsburgh) - Evgeny Grachev, C
30. Detroit Red Wings - Joe Colborne, LW

Geo
06-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I doubt Boedker reaches Vancouver's pick at 10th overall, as 'nucks fans once hoped. He might be even faster than Filatov?

Edit: Nice mock, Jensen. One thing I notice is Colborne might be low, some are really high on him I think.

Hines
06-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Is Kyle Beach releated to Kris Beach?

SuperMcGee
06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Is Kyle Beach releated to Kris Beach?

Isn't it Kris Beech

TimD
06-08-2008, 01:12 PM
My good friend, Alex Velischek, who was drafted by the Sioux City USHL team last year was out in Iowa for their team tryout. He made the team, now he has to decide to play for them or stay and finish his last year of high school at Delbarton (New Jersey's top hs team).

We're not sure if he'll get drafted this year or not, but if he plays for Sioux City this upcoming season he'll prob get drafted next year. He's committed to Providence (his dad played there then for the Nordiques, North Stars, and Devils)

djp
06-08-2008, 01:54 PM
It is seriously almost a guarantee that if Jake Gardiner falls to the Wild, they will take him. In the Brent Burns mold, great kid, local, from a powerhouse HS here in Minneapolis.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they went for Aaron Ness, although I do have some concerns about his size and he IS going to be a (puke) Gopher hockey player.

Geo
06-13-2008, 03:13 AM
The ISS Final Top 30 Rankings (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10401/iss_top302008_prospects_final) have been released, Bogosian not only the top d-man but he takes the #2 spot over Filatov for them. And they don't get cute after the top 7, Wilson and Hodgson are ranked in the next two spots afterwards.

Also kind of interesting is McKeen's final rankings - top 30 preview (http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=814667), with a goalie ranked in the Top 10 surprisingly.

MaxV
06-13-2008, 09:09 AM
McKeen's list is TERRIBLE.

Duster
06-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Gotta love the NHL combine...with their measuring of situps and pushups.

Steve Stamkos only did 36 pushups, looks like the #1 overall spot is slipping away.

But seriously, how could he not be able to more than that? I could do that in my sleep.

This is hockey. None of that matters at all. Patrick Kane would be lucky to do one pushup but the kid is still a great hockey player.

Jensen
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
McKeen's list is TERRIBLE.

Agreed. Not only does he have 3 goalies in the top 30, he has one in the top 10. I don't think there are any goalies in this year's draft that go in the top 30 unless Ottawa gets really desperate and trades down.

Hines
06-13-2008, 12:17 PM
If it turns out that the Pens do trade the rights to Malone and/or Orpik to Columbus for the 19th pick, who might the Pens look at?

Jensen
06-13-2008, 12:30 PM
If it turns out that the Pens do trade the rights to Malone and/or Orpik to Columbus for the 19th pick, who might the Pens look at?

Defense - Tyler Cuma, Colby Robak, John Carlson, Michael DelZotto, Jake Gardiner

Offense - Joshua Bailey, Jordan Eberle, Greg Nemisz, Nicolas Deschamps, Zac Dalpe, Mattias Tedenby, Kirill Petrov

Hines
06-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Defense - Tyler Cuma, Colby Robak, John Carlson, Michael DelZotto, Jake Gardiner

Offense - Joshua Bailey, Jordan Eberle, Greg Nemisz, Nicolas Deschamps, Zac Dalpe, Mattias Tedenby, Kirill Petrov

I like John Carlson out of the defensemen. I read a scouting report on him and he is big, strong and has a wiked shot. He would be good here.

I thought Petrov was a top prospect, but I like him, and I like Zac Dalpe a lot too.

TimD
06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Any good swedes going to be around when the Wings pick. because you can bet your ass they'll take him haha

Geo
06-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I doubt this happens, it makes more sense for Columbus to trade for players who are signed already and will play for them, given likely difficulty in luring free agents. Yes, they could get first crack at signing Malone and Orpik long-term, assuming the move if made, but is it worth giving up a 1st round pick?

Hines
06-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I doubt this happens, it makes more sense for Columbus to trade for players who are signed already and will play for them, given likely difficulty in luring free agents. Yes, they could get first crack at signing Malone and Orpik long-term, assuming the move if made, but is it worth giving up a 1st round pick?

True, but maybe they think their stocks sky rocketed in the playoffs(and they actually did), and they want to have them. They already got one first round pick which I doubt they would give up. But I dont know how credible the source is. Maybe a second for each though, that would be decent.

Geo
06-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't completely rule it out. Just wondering aloud, I guess. It happened last year, when Philly traded for and signed both Hartnell and Timonen, and Nashville got back in return the 1st round pick they previously gave to Philly in the Forsberg deal. And those two delivered the 23rd overall pick in return.

Columbus probably will be one of the leading suitors for Malone. One of the Blue Jackets' main goals this offseason is finding a quality center to pair with Rick Nash. Maybe they think Malone can do that or can just improve the team otherwise, if they pursue him. They additionally need to bolster the defense with a starter, even though one of the top four defensivemen in the Draft class is bound to will reach their 6th overall pick.

If it's Malone's rights alone they are seeking, it will in all likelihood be less than the 19th overall pick, I would have to think. Especially in a good draft as this year's.

Hines
06-13-2008, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't completely rule it out. Just wondering aloud, I guess. It happened last year, when Philly traded for and signed both Hartnell and Timonen, and Nashville got back in return the 1st round pick they previously gave to Philly in the Forsberg deal.

Columbus probably will be one of the leading suitors for Malone. One of the Blue Jackets' main goals this offseason is finding a quality center to pair with Rick Nash. Maybe they think Malone can do that or can just improve the team otherwise, if they pursue him. They additionally need to bolster the defense with a starter, even though one of the top four defensivemen in the Draft class is bound to will reach their 6th overall pick.

If it's Malone's rights alone they are seeking, it will in all likelihood be less than ythe 19th overall pick, I would have to think. Especially in a good draft as this year's.

Malone plays wing, not center. I am not sure if he can play center though. Malone plays good defense, and Orpik is a great stay at home defender, not that good offensively but he will do. I think them both could get us the 19th pick, but who knows.

Jensen
06-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Malone plays wing, not center. I am not sure if he can play center though. Malone plays good defense, and Orpik is a great stay at home defender, not that good offensively but he will do. I think them both could get us the 19th pick, but who knows.

If Timonen and Hartnell get the 23rd overall pick, there's no way Malone and Orpik will get the 19th especially in a deeper draft. Orpik, IMO, is nothing more than a 2nd pairing defenseman at best, and I think Malone will flop if he leaves the Pens.

Geo
06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Pens don't have a pick until the end of the 4th round, so any pick they could get would help.

Heck, I'd like to get any draft pick for Mats Sundin, better than nothing. Not that I would expect a 1st round pick in return now.

Hines
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
If the Pens end up getting a 2nd or 3rd like they are rumored, I would like them to get Jordan Staal. He has the size and scoring potential to be a good player in the NHL. Plus, his older brother could help him out.

06-13-2008, 11:00 PM
If the Pens end up getting a 2nd or 3rd like they are rumored, I would like them to get Jordan Staal. He has the size and scoring potential to be a good player in the NHL. Plus, his older brother could help him out.

Jared Staal that is ...

Hines
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Jared Staal that is ...

Yeah, dammit I am off today.

06-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I swear at one point hockey analysts in Canada were saying that the youngest Staal (Jared) would become the successful of the four. Don't get me wrong it very well could still happen however it turns out he will be the only one of his brothers not to go in the first round. His stats aren't all that impressive either for Sudbury (60 GP 21 G 28 A).

MaxV
06-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Jared Staal is overrated.

If he had a different last name, he would be a 3rd or even a 4th rounder.

Canadian_kid16
06-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I swear at one point hockey analysts in Canada were saying that the youngest Staal (Jared) would become the successful of the four. Don't get me wrong it very well could still happen however it turns out he will be the only one of his brothers not to go in the first round. His stats aren't all that impressive either for Sudbury (60 GP 21 G 28 A).

Well, Jared Staal is a very overrated player (no way is he the best Staal brother) as I've seen him play alot here in Sudbury, but this year, Sudbury was probably the worst team in the CHL talent wise. Simply put, we were horrible. But with the first overall picks in both the OHL Entry Draft and the European Draft, we should have a much better team next year. I think a judgement on Staal should wait until the end of next year.

But yes, he is an overrated player.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-16-2008, 01:38 PM
ZURICH, Switzerland - The NHL's transfer agreement with the International Ice Hockey Federation expired Monday, ushering in a new era for the movement of players between Europe and North America.

Transfer agreement between NHL and IHFF expires (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240848&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl)

MaxV
06-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Transfer agreement between NHL and IHFF expires (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240848&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl)

Not surprising.

I wonder what this will mean for 2009 Superstar prospect Victor Hedman, who is from Sweden.

Geo
06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I can't wait for the Draft. Friday seems close, yet far away. :p

I'm constantly going back and forth on who the Leafs should get with the 7th overall pick. Suffice to say there's a number of guys I'd be pleased with, including huge wild card Kyle Beach if the scouts give him the green light.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I can't wait for the draft either, the Kings are having a draft party on friday. So i will be attending that, mostly for the free food!

SuperMcGee
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
What time does the draft start? I have a game on friday but want to catch a good portion of the first.

06-16-2008, 07:48 PM
What time does the draft start? I have a game on friday but want to catch a good portion of the first.

Draft starts at 7 PM ET.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11476

Jensen
06-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Damn it, I'm gonna miss the draft cause I gotta work.

Geo
06-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Remember, only the 1st round on Friday. Rounds 2-7 on Saturday.

Jensen
06-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Remember, only the 1st round on Friday. Rounds 2-7 on Saturday.

I gotta work Saturday too, so I'm gonna miss all of it. That pisses me off so much even though the Sharks don't have a pick until the 4th round.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-17-2008, 12:03 AM
The 2nd round starts at 6:30 am on Sat, drafts don't care about the west coast. =(

Geo
06-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Ouch. Phoenix has the first pick of the second round too, given as compensation for not signing their former first round pick Blake Wheeler. Better set the alarm clocks, lol.

TimD
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
That stinks that they didn't sign him. I mean Boston got such a steal.

Geo
06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Mini Draft Thoughts

- LA is likely to start this Draft off one way or another, with Stamkos to TB a lock. Does Lombardi have another surprise in his sleeve, in the form of forward Nikita Filatov or defensemen Luke Schenn? How the rest of the Top 10 follows will boil down to this start, everyone will be interested to see what they do.

- I'd love for Filatov to fall to the Leafs at #7, but I'm trying to curb that feeling as much as possible because I don't think he'll get past the NY Islanders at #5. Although if Filatov is taken before NYI, they might then strongly consider another speedy, talented forward in Mikkel Boedker at 5th overall, I think.

- If any pick in the Top 7 is most likely to be moved, my guess would be Columbus. Likely in a deal for a top-flight center to play with Rick Nash, my guess would be Patrick Marleau who the Sharks are potentially willing to shop. Columbus has two 1st round picks this year, #6 and #19, and I expect at least one of them to be involved in a trade for a top-line player to help them compete now.

- Phoenix has four (!) 2nd round picks at their disposal in addition to the 8th overall pick. They could use one of them as trade return to move up, especially if they have their eyes on Boedker who might not get past the Leafs at #7. Because after the speedy Boedker, the top forwards are not-as-quick centers Cody Hodgson and Colin Wilson.

Jensen
06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I think LA takes Doughty at #2, but I believe that Zach Bogosian will be the best defenseman to come out of this draft. If I had to compare him to somebody, it would be Dion Phaneuf.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Mini-Draft Thoughts

- LA is likely to start this Draft off one way or another, with Stamkos to TB a lock. Does Lombardi have another surprise in his sleeve, in the form of forward Nikita Filatov or defensemen Luke Schenn? How the rest of the Top 10 follows will boil down to this start, everyone will be interested to see what they do.

I think Filatov is a slight chance of being picked 2nd, but I think Deano is set on building from the back, as he has stated numerous times. Most people have had Doughty as a lock to the Kings, but I think he goes with Bogosian...because he seems like a Lombardi type of player.

Sniper
06-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I think Filatov is a slight chance of being picked 2nd, but I think Deano is set on building from the back, as he has stated numerous times. Most people have had Doughty as a lock to the Kings, but I think he goes with Bogosian...because he seems like a Lombardi type of player.

If you had Doughty and JMFJ, you would win the Stanley Cup every year. It's true, look it up.

MaxV
06-17-2008, 11:54 AM
According to Filatov's recent comments, he no longer has a contract with CSKA and that he's 100% going to NA next season.

He'll probably be a top 5 pick.

Other Russian prospects, however, might have to wait a long time before their names are called.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-17-2008, 12:00 PM
If you had Doughty and JMFJ, you would win the Stanley Cup every year. It's true, look it up.
JMFJ, Hickey and Bogo can rule the world too!

Geo
06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Redline Report's first round mock draft (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2008-06-16-woodlief-mock-draft_N.htm)

Interesting that they have Filatov going to LA, although if I recall they are big on Filatov.

06-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I read somewhere Filatov is fluent in English. Sweet.

Sniper
06-17-2008, 12:07 PM
JMFJ, Hickey and Bogo can rule the world too!

This is true. As long as you have JMFJ, you can rule the world. But Doughty is awesome, and I have a mancrush on him from his WJC performance.

I still can't believe how badly you boned Carolina for JMFJ.

MaxV
06-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I read somewhere Filatov is fluent in English. Sweet.

Yeah, his mother was an English teacher in Russia.

Geo
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
The Hockey News' mock draft (http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/16676-The-Hockey-News-2008-Mock-Draft.html)

Included are two interesting trades in the Top 10.

Geo
06-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Nikita Filatov audio interview (http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media_detail.php?show=2008-06-17%2000:00:00&sn=3), kudos to the boys at the Pipeline Show for getting it.

Also interesting is recent work by LA Kings' beat writer Rich Hammond (http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/):

Lombardi, on a possible trade
By Rich Hammond on June 18, 2008 2:34 PM | Permalink | Comments (14) | ShareThis

Here's what Dean Lombardi told the Canadian Press today. It's pretty consistent with a) what he said after the Crawford firing and b) the exact same thing that's said by every GM every year before the draft. They're keeping options open, etc., etc. An enterprising reader could probably go back 12 months and find almost-identical quotes. So we'll see what happens. Quotes like this speak to how fluid the situation is...

``On the first front, I figured I had two legitimate offers for the pick outright that I presented to ownership last week. But it was very clear the direction they want to go, which is more committed towards putting together a solid nucleus.

"As far as moving down in the draft, those are still options. That still has to remain in the equation. And I would suggest that that could go right up until we make the pick. I think the deal outright for the pick, you're probably in or out for sure the day before.

"The one where you're moving moving down, as I've done in the past, can sometimes not happen until right up to making the pick. I've had one legitimate proposal that deserves consideration in terms of moving back."
Hmm.

Earlier post:
Setting the table
By Rich Hammond on June 18, 2008 12:04 AM | Permalink | Comments (35) | ShareThis

With just a couple days before the draft and so many rumors floating around, it's probably a wise time to consolidate stuff here and talk about some of the comments and/or emails that have been coming in.

-- Cammalleri's name is being thrown around a lot, and I don't think anyone is surprised by that. From talking to people involved, I would say that if a trade happens with him, it will happen at or before the draft. It's significantly less likely to happen after the draft. The Pitkanen rumors have been around. They have legs, as they say. The only problem with that is, they'll had ``legs'' for a while and there hasn't been a trade. General rule...the longer something is out there, the less likely it is to get done. And several other teams are poking around, looking at Pitkanen. But if you're going to entertain yourself thinking up Cammalleri trade possibilities, think under-30 defenseman and draft pick. And...go.

-- The only other ``established'' King whose name might be out there is Visnovsky. Again, this is another one that some of you more astute readers have sniffed out. Again, it would likely be a situation that creates some depth and increased youth on the blue line. There's nothing really to say, beyond that, at the moment. Just something to keep an eye on.

-- I think there needs to be some type of understanding about the No. 2 pick. There's two sides to this. One is this: the Kings, I'm told, have already turned down about a half-dozen offers for the pick. The other side is this: Dean Lombardi has showed he's not afraid to do unconventional things. That's why I will always hesitate to say, ``This is what the Kings are thinking,'' because I'm not exaggerating when I say that it can change from day to day. That's just the reality of the situation. And it's the reality of the trade market. Things change so fast.

-- The Kings are still not interested in Ray Emery. That much I can say for certain.

-- The bottom line is this: I have a very strong feeling -- based on a combination of talking to people and my own instinct -- that SOMETHING will happen between now and about 4:15 p.m. Pacific time Friday, and given the names and situations involved here, it's likely to be a fairly large ``something.'' Of course, that sounds completely vague and unhelpful. I understand that, but there's absolutely no way to predict what will happen.

Hope to see some of you at the draft party. For those who aren't attending, I will be there blogging with live updates, quotes, etc.

06-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Cliff Fletcher is rumored to be flirting with the idea of moving up in the draft. Oh, how Nikita Filatov would look soo great in a Leafs uni right about now.

Bills2083
06-19-2008, 07:38 AM
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=366161
I posted this in both NHL threads so everyone can see it.
It's about whether or not Europeans should come to play in North America.

Jay
06-19-2008, 08:09 AM
16. Boston selects Mattias Tedenby, LW (HV 71)
Ultra-skilled Swede can fly and would look dangerous playing alongside Marc Savard or Patrice Bergeron in the near future.

Sounds good to me. Just please, no defense. They always seem to draft defense. We need skilled wingers.

Draft starts tomorrow, right?

06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds good to me. Just please, no defense. They always seem to draft defense. We need skilled wingers.

Draft starts tomorrow, right?

Sorry, but it wouldn't shock me at all if they went defense again. Actually that's what I believe they will do. First round of draft is tomorrow starting @ 7 PM ET on TSN in Canada & Versus in the US I'm guessing.

Jensen
06-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Last mock unless a trade happens.

4. St. Louis Blues - Alex Pietrangelo, D
5. New York Islanders - Nikita Filatov, LW
7. Toronto Maple Leafs - Mikkel Boedker, LW
8. Phoenix Coyotes - Tyler Myers, D
10. Vancouver Canucks - Cody Hodgson, C
11. Chicago Blackhawks - Zac Boychuk, C
12. Anaheim Ducks (from Edmonton) - Kyle Beach, C
13. Buffalo Sabres - Luca Sbisa, D
15. Nashville Predators - Joshua Bailey, C
17. Calgary Flames - Nicolas Deschamps, C
18. Ottawa Senators - John Carlson, D
19. Columbus Blue Jackets (from Colorado) - Zac Dalpe, C
20. New York Rangers - Tyler Cuma, D
21. New Jersey Devils - Chet Pickard, G
22. Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim) - Joe Colborne, LW
23. Washington Capitals - Jordan Eberle, C
24. Minnesota Wild - Jake Gardiner, D
26. Buffalo Sabres (from San Jose) - Kirill Petrov, LW
27. Philadelphia Flyers - Michael Del Zotto, D
29. Atlanta Thrashers (from Pittsburgh) - Corey Trivino, C
30. Detroit Red Wings - Erik Karlsson, D

critesy
06-19-2008, 12:08 PM
what do you guys think of jordan eberle?

i played against him throughout all of my life until he went to the pats and he is a fine hockey player. so swift the way he skates and has mad dangles. pretty sick shot as well, potted like 44 goals in the dub last season. whoever gets him is getting a mad sniper.

Geo
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Admittedly all of my focus has been on the Top 10, given that's where the Leafs pick, but Eberle comes up as a skilled offensive player as you say. Cool stuff that you got to play against him.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-20-2008, 01:57 AM
The Kings beatwriter, who has been following the Kings all year and knows Lombardi better then any writer out there, is 94% sure that the Kings will draft Doughty!

Doughty...Bogo, can't go wrong with either.

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Last mock unless a trade happens.

30. Detroit Red Wings - Erik Karlsson, D

Jensen, I can say with much certainty that the Wings won't draft a defenseman in Round 1. They have more young defenders than they know what to do with right now. Goaltender or Winger, IMO.

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Is the draft going to be televised?

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Is the draft going to be televised?

Versus is airing the first round at 7 pm et.

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
alright, thanks Xio.

Jensen
06-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Jensen, I can say with much certainty that the Wings won't draft a defenseman in Round 1. They have more young defenders than they know what to do with right now. Goaltender or Winger, IMO.

He's being compared to Kronwall frequently, and he's a Swede so it sounded good to me!

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 12:12 PM
He's being compared to Kronwall frequently, and he's a Swede so it sounded good to me!

I know. I just think the Wings need to go with a goalie or winger. Look at the depth in the system on defense.

Jonathan Ericsson
Jakub Kindl
Kyle Quincey
Derek Meech
Brendan Smith

Only one of those guys is gonna crack the Wings top 7 defenseman this year. We actually need to trade Quincey or Meech because they can't be sent to the AHL anymore. Ericsson is our best prospect in the organization and he will have to remain in GR for another year.

JF4
06-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Hmmm...I found out I have tickets for the draft but I don't really want to go. Just seems like I could be doing something better with my time on a Friday night.

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Hmmm...I found out I have tickets for the draft but I don't really want to go. Just seems like I could be doing something better with my time on a Friday night.

Another Friday night is just a week away . . . another NHL draft is a year away . . . go to the damn draft if you can.

Geo
06-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Stamkos to TB, no surprise.

But here comes LA with the 2nd overall pick!

Jay
06-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Drew Doughty to LA

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I hate not having versus :(

Jay
06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
We'll keep you up to date.

Geo
06-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I think NHL.com is streaming it live.

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks (BTW, I'd give you more +rep, but it wont let me because I just gave you some)

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I think NHL.com is streaming it live.

yeah, they are, but of course it doesnt work on my computer :rolleyes:

Jay
06-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Zach Bogosian to Atlanta

Jay
06-20-2008, 06:49 PM
St. Louis selects Alex Pietrangelo

Jay
06-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Toronto trades up to #5 with the Islanders... probably to select Luke Schenn...

Geo
06-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Leafs trade up with the Islanders!

Schenn or Filatov, I'd love either. Yay ...

alexschnarr
06-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Sick leafs, hope Bmac is part of that deal to the islander

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
What is the time limit per pick?

alexschnarr
06-20-2008, 06:59 PM
as far as i know, no time limit, but it is usually pretty quick, like 3 hours for the first round.

alexschnarr
06-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Swap 7 to 5 with a 2nd and 3rd going to the islanders

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
If I am the Islanders, I take the third this year and second next year. Toronto's second next year will be way higher then #60...

alexschnarr
06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Luke Schenn Baby

Geo
06-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Great stuff, Schenn wasn't going to get past Columbus at #6, and I wasn't crazy about Tyler Myers at #7.

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Another trade!

SuperMcGee
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Not bad. Schenn will be very good. Figured Geo would enjoy that one.

I'm liking St. Louis more and more all the time. McKee, Stempniak, Erik Johnson, Brewer, Kariya, and now Pietrangelo.

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Columbus trades #19 to Philly for RJ Umberger

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Columbus trades #19 to Philly for RJ Umberger

and #67 :D

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Columbus selects Nikita Filatov

Geo
06-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Nice job by the Blue Jackets taking Filatov.

Geo
06-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Isles go Mikkel Boedker, maybe Colin Wilson, imo. Word is they've been scouting Boedker all year long and like him.

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:20 PM
A trade! The Islanders trade # 7 to Nashville for #9 and #40...

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Nashville selects Colin Wilson

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Phoenix selects Mikkel Boedker

Geo
06-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Really nice pick by Phoenix, staying put and getting Boedker.

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:33 PM
New York Islanders select Josh Bailey

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Who would you guys compare Kyle Beach to?

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Vancouver selects Cody Hodgson

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Chicago selects Kyle Beach

Geo
06-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Potential-wise, probably Todd Bertuzzi? He has character concerns, but he's a rare great power forward prospect.

06-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Well, they just made comparisons in several aspects of his game to Owen Nolan, Claude Lemieux, Brendan Shanahan, Sean Avery, etc.

also Luke Schenn = Captain Punishment :D

SuperMcGee
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM

I honestly kind of wanted to avoid him. I'm glad he didn't reach us, and I'm definitely glad we didn't trade up for him like Mendola and a few others suggested.
I know he's the type we could use and as good as any out there in that form, but I was really hesitant with him.

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Looks like there is a Buffalo/LA trade...

06-20-2008, 07:53 PM
How about a throwback comparison to another BC native for Kyle Beach .. Cam Neely ??

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Buffalo selects Tyler Myers

Jay
06-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I didn't want the Bruins to take a defenseman but now I am kind of hoping they take Michael Del Zotto...

06-20-2008, 07:58 PM
He's an unbelievable physical specimen but I'm a bit wary of Myers and he does have a bust factor to consider.

Geo
06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
also Luke Schenn = Captain Punishment :D
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2008-w00/img.102244_t.jpg

6' 3" and 210 lbs. of kickass shut-down defense coming through. ;)

Him and Anton Stralman are the top pairing of the future. The trade up didn't come cheap, but like Cliff Fletcher said, he went for quality. And I don't think he gave up too too much considering (both Schenn and Filatov were off the board by #7 anyways).

SuperMcGee
06-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I dig it. Third year in a row we've gone defense first. Nobody with near this kind of size, though. Our youth isn't that bad on D with Sekera making the jump to the NHL full time this year, then Weber soon up, Chris Butler I like, Persson will be in Sweden for at least another year, Brennan is an offensive guy who is a while off for now, and now Myers.

Jay
06-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Los Angeles selects Colten Teubert

Jay
06-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Carolina selects Zach Boychuk

Bruce Banner
06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Can someone give me some insight on the Jackets' pick? What about the guy they traded for? was it worth it?

Jay
06-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Nashville trades #15 to Ottawa for #18 and a third...

06-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Could we possibly see the first goalie selected of this draft ..

Jay
06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Ottawa selects Erik Karlsson

Jay
06-20-2008, 08:22 PM
My Boston Bruins select........ Joe Colborne ?

Geo
06-20-2008, 08:27 PM
His name, like a few other guys, often came up in the 11-20 region. Could be a really good pick with development, nice job B's.

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I dig it. Third year in a row we've gone defense first. Nobody with near this kind of size, though. Our youth isn't that bad on D with Sekera making the jump to the NHL full time this year, then Weber soon up, Chris Butler I like, Persson will be in Sweden for at least another year, Brennan is an offensive guy who is a while off for now, and now Myers.

They said on WGR that Myers is kind of NHL ready.
Do you think he is?

Jay
06-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Meh... we signed Wheeler which is like getting a top 5 pick so whatev. Seems like a bit of a project.

Been reading a lot about this kid Carl Soderberg from Sweden that is supposed to be coming over next year. Sound like he is going to be nasty. I guess after signing Wheeler and Soderberg along with last years #1 Zach Hamill they felt they could let guys sit in college/JR's for a few years...

holt_bruce81
06-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Pietrangelo was a great pick for St. Louis.

Bruce Banner
06-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Can someone give me some insight on the Jackets' pick? What about the guy they traded for? was it worth it?

bump.....I really have no idea

SuperMcGee
06-20-2008, 08:37 PM
They said on WGR that Myers is kind of NHL ready.
Do you think he is?

I'd give him time. I think we add a veteran defenseman, Weber should be up before any of our other prospects. If Spacek leaves after next year, that's when our defense prospects will get interesting looks imo.

Geo
06-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Luke Schenn on Toronto AM 640 right now, fyi.

(I'm listening online, obviously. :p)

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd give him time. I think we add a veteran defenseman, Weber should be up before any of our other prospects. If Spacek leaves after next year, that's when our defense prospects will get interesting looks imo.

We have a lot of defenseman waiting in the wings now.
Do you think we'll resign Teppo/Pratt this offseason?

SuperMcGee
06-20-2008, 08:52 PM
We have a lot of defenseman waiting in the wings now.
Do you think we'll resign Teppo/Pratt this offseason?

Definitely not both. Teppo is weird to think about. His leadership would've been huge last year, and he didn't look bad in his one game. You have to wonder if he'd want to even really come back after the suspension. I'd certainly take him cheap, we wouldn't give him much after missing all of his 1-year deal. Pratt isn't a top-6 guy. We picked him up during the season, he was eh. He's no better or worse than Paetsch at the moment, but Paetsch might actually get better so I'd rather give his time to Paetsch.
Neither are high priorities. But I'd like to give Teppo one more try if both sides were willing.

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I am praying that a top goalie falls to Detroit at 30.

Who is the BPA? I am criminally under-informed about this draft.

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 09:02 PM
If we resign Teppo, do you still think we'll add a veteran defeseman?

If yes, let's say we add Orpik (I'm just pulling a name out of nowhere. I dont think we'll sign him anyway.) We'll have Tallinder, Lydman, Orpik, Spacek, Teppo, Paetsch, Sekera, and Weber. We wont sign Orpik. It will sign campbell instead

Tallinder-Lydman
Orpik - Spacek
?? - ??

In this situation, what would we do with Teppo/Paetsch/Sekera/Weber?

If you dont think we sign a veteran defenseman, we'd have Tallinder, Lydman, Teppo, Spacek, Weber, Sekera, and Paetsch.

Wootylicous
06-20-2008, 09:03 PM
I can't believe we traded for Tanguay....

slightlyaraiderfan
06-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Doughty + Teubert = perfect first round!!!

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Doughty + Teubert = perfect first round!!!

Was it worth parting with Cammalleri?

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 09:08 PM
13 trades in the 1st round!

slightlyaraiderfan
06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Was it worth parting with Cammalleri?
yes, there was conflict between management and cammy. he was pissed that he only got 3 mil in arbitration, he wanted 5-6 mil...he will ask for that after next year, so thats why we have been trying to trade him since last season, cause obviously didn't want to be here anymore.

djp
06-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Meh... we signed Wheeler which is like getting a top 5 pick so whatev. Seems like a bit of a project.

Been reading a lot about this kid Carl Soderberg from Sweden that is supposed to be coming over next year. Sound like he is going to be nasty. I guess after signing Wheeler and Soderberg along with last years #1 Zach Hamill they felt they could let guys sit in college/JR's for a few years...

Wheeler isn't like getting a top 5 pick. He has regressed since high school. I'll be surprised if he ever scores 60 points in a season.

scottyboy
06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
someone wanna tell me about Mattias Tedenby? kthx

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 09:33 PM
They're talking about Ryan Miller to Detroit again . . . when does his contract end? It's after this season, correct?

What are the odds Buffalo resigns him?

Bills2083
06-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Miller's contract ends after this season.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=359420&page=NewsPage&service=page

Goalie Ryan Miller (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8468011) and play-making forward Jason Pominville (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8469506) won't be going anywhere any time soon if the Buffalo Sabres (http://sabres.nhl.com/) have their way.

Identifying the two players as key parts of Buffalo's young foundation, Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said Sunday that securing both to long-term contracts are among the top offseason priorities for a team that, in one year, went from winning the Presidents' Trophy to missing the playoffs altogether.

"It's not a decision that we're going to make, we've already made it," Quinn told The Associated Press a day before the Sabres are scheduled to clean out their lockers. "We clearly want those guys to be part of the long-term success here."

Quinn said negotiations have yet to begin with either player, both of whom have one year left on their contracts.

What's significant is that Quinn's comments signal a major philosophical switch for an organization that was criticized for being too slow in its approach to negotiate long-term deals with former co-captains Chris Drury (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8460562) and Daniel Briere (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8464975), before losing both to free agency last summer.

Drury and Briere's departures are considered the key reasons behind the Sabres' sudden downfall this year, the team eliminated from playoff contention with a 3-1 loss at Montreal Thursday.

In finishing 10th in the Eastern Conference standings, Buffalo (39-31-12) became only the third team since NHL expansion in 1967-68 to miss the playoffs a year after winning the regular-season title. The New York Rangers (http://www.newyorkrangers.com/) did that in 1993, as did Montreal in 1970.

Quinn described himself as "disappointed but not discouraged" over the Sabres' downfall, while stressing this was not a time to overreact.

"Definitely not a time to panic," Quinn said. "You can't overreact because you didn't make the playoffs. You've got to be unhappy with it, but this is a team that's going places. And if your question is, `Will we do the things we have to do to help them?' Yes, we will."

The Sabres endured an up-and-down season, lacking the chemistry and identity that helped them win an NHL-best 105 games over the previous two years, when they were both times eliminated in the East finals.

Buffalo, this year, was particularly undone by a midseason slump in which it went 1-7-5.

Miller is coming off an inconsistent year, and one in which he had difficulty handling the grueling load of appearing in a franchise-record 76 games in only his third full NHL season.

Miller finished with a respectable 36-27-10 record, four wins short of matching the franchise mark he set last year, and a 2.64 goals-against average, eight points lower than his career average. But he faltered, complaining of fatigue, during a 34-game string of appearances in which he went 18-10-5 and allowed 91 goals over the past three months.

A one-time All-Star selection, he's scheduled to make $3.5 million next season and eligible to become an unrestricted free agent in 2009.

Pominville emerged as a team leader and, along with Derek Roy (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8469485), was one of the Sabres' most consistent players. He finished with a career-high 80 points (27 goals, 53 assists) to finish second on the team in scoring.

Pominville is due to make $1.375 million next year, but not eligible to become an unrestricted free agent until 2010.

Quinn also included rugged forward Paul Gaustad (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8468700) in the team's list of offseason priorities. Gaustad completed a two-year deal, but is only eligible to become a restricted free agent this summer.

"You can't be comfortable with not making the playoffs," Quinn said. "But I don't think that it's any question that we've got a terrific core of young players - and I would argue, some of the best in the league."

Quinn was referring to the team's top-three scorers, Roy, Pominville and Thomas Vanek (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470598), who are all 26 or younger.

Also, I'm pretty sure we cant start negotiating until July 1st

HChu
06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
The Caps get both of the guys I wanted at 23, though the order in which they picked them was odd. All in all it was a great first round, but I'll miss Eminger.

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Thomas McCollum, G

Can anyone tell me about this guy? Wings just drafted him. And we needed a goalie.

Wootylicous
06-20-2008, 09:57 PM
lol at the wings...

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
lol at the wings...

Care to explain? The Wings drafting history ought to exempt them from any criticism here.

Wootylicous
06-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Care to explain? The Wings drafting history ought to exempt them from any criticism here.

You got gems in the 4th and 5th round not in the first.

06-20-2008, 10:12 PM

Nikita Filatov is an absolute stud. My fave player available in this draft. Some would argue he was the second best rated prospect after top pick Stamkos but ultimately fell to #6 most likely because of the labour dispute with the Russian league.

He's a flashy winger with excellent skating abilities and looks to be a talented scoring forward capable of creating offensive chances for himself and his linemates. As for Umberger he's got some connections to the Columbus area having played at Ohio State for a few seasons and he will attempt to fill the big need there at center for the Jackets. Yes, I do believe it was worth it.

BigDawg819
06-20-2008, 10:12 PM
The Caps get both of the guys I wanted at 23, though the order in which they picked them was odd. All in all it was a great first round, but I'll miss Eminger.

HChu, fill me in on whats happening with the Caps and the draft. I'm new to all this NHL draft stuff?

HChu
06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
HChu, fill me in on whats happening with the Caps and the draft. I'm new to all this NHL draft stuff?

The Caps originally had the 23rd pick, but traded it and their highest 2nd round pick (they had 3) #54 to the New Jersey Devils for pick #21 to select the son of Cap great Bengt Gustafsson, Anton Gustafsson. Who is a skilled 2-way center, but has a lingering herniated disk problem. I think it was too high of a price to pay to move up two spots, but it was a good pick. We then traded back into the first, trading Steve Eminger and a late 3rd rounder (pick #84) to Philadelphia for #27. Then we selected John Carlson, a big bruising defenseman who I originally wanted at 23 and when we moved up to 21. TSN's scouting report also says he's a potential power play quarterback, so he's a 2-way threat, and was an excellent value. Though trading Eminger after he showed signs of the potential everyone thought he had in the Philly series is disappointing, but he really needed a change of scenery. As for immediate impact, Gustafsson will hopefully come over from Sweden and probably play this season in Hershey. And Carlson is committed to playing in the OHL for the London Knights, under the tutelage of Cap great Dale Hunter, but he might come play in '08 if he has a change of heart otherwise we might have to wait until '09 or '10.

Grade: B+

06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
someone wanna tell me about Mattias Tedenby? kthx

A typical Jersey pick. One of the smaller players available in this draft and like Gionta and Parise before him he possesses excellent stickhandling and deking ability to go along with his great skating. Lamoriello has a great track record and I'd trust him with this one again.

BigDawg819
06-20-2008, 10:37 PM
The Caps originally had the 23rd pick, but traded it and their highest 2nd round pick (they had 3) #54 to the New Jersey Devils for pick #21 to select the son of Cap great Bengt Gustafsson, Anton Gustafsson. Who is a skilled 2-way center, but has a lingering herniated disk problem. I think it was too high of a price to pay to move up two spots, but it was a good pick. We then traded back into the first, trading Steve Eminger and a late 3rd rounder (pick #84) to Philadelphia for #27. Then we selected John Carlson, a big bruising defenseman who I originally wanted at 23 and when we moved up to 21. TSN's scouting report also says he's a potential power play quarterback, so he's a 2-way threat, and was an excellent value. Though trading Eminger after he showed signs of the potential everyone thought he had in the Philly series is disappointing, but he really needed a change of scenery. As for immediate impact, Gustafsson will hopefully come over from Sweden and probably play this season in Hershey. And Carlson is committed to playing in the OHL for the London Knights, under the tutelage of Cap great Dale Hunter, but he might come play in '08 if he has a change of heart otherwise we might have to wait until '09 or '10.

Grade: B+

Well Defensemen were definite priority this offseason so its nice to see we took one. Can't say whether or not I like all this dealing since I am not in any position to comment on it. But if you say its ok so far then so be it. Thanks for the update its greatly appreciated.

Xiomera
06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
You got gems in the 4th and 5th round not in the first.

That's because we rarely have a first round pick to make. Niklas Kronwall ring a bell?

Bruce Banner
06-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Nikita Filatov is an absolute stud. My fave player available in this draft. Some would argue he was the second best rated prospect after top pick Stamkos but ultimately fell to #6 most likely because of the labour dispute with the Russian league.

He's a flashy winger with excellent skating abilities and looks to be a talented scoring forward capable of creating offensive chances for himself and his linemates. As for Umberger he's got some connections to the Columbus area having played at Ohio State for a few seasons and he will attempt to fill the big need there at center for the Jackets. Yes, I do believe it was worth it.

Thanks a bunch for the write up. It is quite difficult to stay interested or up to date when you're a Jackets fan. The team is just inexplicably bad every year.

SuperMcGee
06-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Thomas McCollum, G

Can anyone tell me about this guy? Wings just drafted him. And we needed a goalie.

He was probably the best goalie in the draft, and he's a Western New York guy, so hey great pick!

SuperMcGee
06-21-2008, 12:25 AM
They're talking about Ryan Miller to Detroit again . . . when does his contract end? It's after this season, correct?

What are the odds Buffalo resigns him?

We're signing Miller. It looks like it's even taking priority over signing our best player, Jason Pominville.

If we resign Teppo, do you still think we'll add a veteran defeseman?

If yes, let's say we add Orpik (I'm just pulling a name out of nowhere. I dont think we'll sign him anyway.) We'll have Tallinder, Lydman, Orpik, Spacek, Teppo, Paetsch, Sekera, and Weber. We wont sign Orpik. It will sign campbell instead

Tallinder-Lydman
Orpik - Spacek
?? - ??

In this situation, what would we do with Teppo/Paetsch/Sekera/Weber?

If you dont think we sign a veteran defenseman, we'd have Tallinder, Lydman, Teppo, Spacek, Weber, Sekera, and Paetsch.

Teppo would play if he's healthy. Sekera would be the other. Sekera is going to be one of our starting defenseman this season, I can pretty much guarantee it. He's just about as much as a sure thing as Tallinder, Lydman, and Spacek. And he should be, considering he's good enough and we only have three sure things on defense.
Those 4 should be for sure. Paetsch could end up as #6, but with how he played last year Weber would be a #7 that we're not afraid to call up at the smallest instance. <3 Weber.

06-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks a bunch for the write up. It is quite difficult to stay interested or up to date when you're a Jackets fan. The team is just inexplicably bad every year.

The Jackets just have to make the playoffs next season and it's quite evident by the moves and many trade rumors surfacing around the team lately. I like the direction of the organization and well you just never know except it's never easy in such a competitive division and conference as a whole.

Jensen
06-21-2008, 12:37 AM
The Jackets just have to make the playoffs next season and it's quite evident by the moves and many trade rumors surfacing around the team lately. I like the direction of the organization and well you just never know except it's never easy in such a competitive division and conference as a whole.

The Jackets have awhile to go before they make the playoffs. They have 1 star in Nash, 1 1st/2nd line player in Zherdev, and a 2nd line player in Umberger. Who do they have after that? Nobody. The defense is atrocious with Hainsey leaving. That leaves them with Klesla and...nobody. Leclaire stole a lot of games for them last season.

SuperMcGee
06-21-2008, 01:08 AM
We went big and we went small. I'm definitely happy with the Tylers.
Something needs to materialize tomorrow in the way of trades. A new veteran D-man and a change of scenery for Max are things that just need to happen, and should soon. Obviously the former could wait 10 days or so, but who knows.

Job
06-21-2008, 06:57 AM

You call Nashville, St.Louis, Columbus and Chicago a competitive division?

Jay
06-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Wheeler isn't like getting a top 5 pick. He has regressed since high school. I'll be surprised if he ever scores 60 points in a season.

Well... he was a top five pick... got the max rookie contract... and was sought after by 20 other teams. So yeah, it's like getting a top 5 pick... and there have been A LOT of top 5 picks that could only DREAM of 60 points.

I'm not saying he's going to be a super start or even average, just saying they got the value of the pick and a kid that's closer than 3-4 years away...

Bills2083
06-21-2008, 08:33 AM
We're signing Miller. It looks like it's even taking priority over signing our best player, Jason Pominville.

Teppo would play if he's healthy. Sekera would be the other. Sekera is going to be one of our starting defenseman this season, I can pretty much guarantee it. He's just about as much as a sure thing as Tallinder, Lydman, and Spacek. And he should be, considering he's good enough and we only have three sure things on defense.
Those 4 should be for sure. Paetsch could end up as #6, but with how he played last year Weber would be a #7 that we're not afraid to call up at the smallest instance. <3 Weber.

But what do we do if we sign a veteran defenseman and Teppo?

Bills2083
06-21-2008, 09:23 AM
can anyone tell me about Luke Adam?
We drafted him at 44

06-21-2008, 09:34 AM
You call Nashville, St.Louis, Columbus and Chicago a competitive division?

Every one of those teams are young and up-and-coming and should be ready to compete as soon as next season in most cases.

The core of great prospects brewing in St. Louis (Johnson, Oshie, Berglund, Eller, Perron, Cole, Pietrangelo) and Chicago (Kane, Toews, Kontiola, Bolland, Skille, Brouwer) is just nasty. Don't forget Nashville made the playoffs last season and there's no reason for them to not do the same next year as well. Columbus probably improved the most of the group having added very skilled forwards RJ Umberger and Nikita Filatov over the weekend and absolutely just need to make the playoffs in the near future. Then you add the defending Stanley Cup Champion Red Wings to the mix of course. Looks like a competitive division to me.

Geo
06-21-2008, 10:55 AM
can anyone tell me about Luke Adam?
We drafted him at 44
http://nhlentrydraft2008.com/featuredPlayersDetails.aspx?type=sel&playerID=1042
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11475 (Check out #34)

MaxV
06-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Good article about Viktor Tikhonov.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3454993

I like the part that mentions him being known as a "Russian kid" in California and "American kid" in Russia.

Xiomera
06-21-2008, 11:11 AM
He was probably the best goalie in the draft, and he's a Western New York guy, so hey great pick!

Yeah, he's from Amherst, which coincidentally is where my aunt and uncle live.

I like what I've read of him so far. Any idea where he will be playing next season?

06-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Carey Price's successor at Tri-City, Chet Pickard, was the clearcut top goalie of the draft. Thomas McCollum isn't too far behind though and he will probably play another year in Guelph before heading out to the Wings AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids.

Bills2083
06-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Xio, here's an article about McCollum for you...

McCollum finds a home in net

Starpoint goalie should be early pick

by John Vogl -- News Sports Reporter
Updated: 06/20/08 7:35 AM

http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2008/06/20/06/978-bn-20080620-B001-mccollumfindsah-36163-MI0001.embedded.prod_affiliate.50.jpg (http://media.buffalonews.com/smedia/2008/06/20/06/206-bn-20080620-B001-mccollumfindsah-36163-MI0001.standalone.prod_affiliate.50.jpg)
Getty Images Sanborn’s Thomas McCollum is the top-ranked goalie prospect in North America.

OTTAWA — Thomas McCollum, like the rest of his 10-year-old teammates, stood there shocked. The time-out was supposed to calm his Wheatfield Blades goaltender. Instead, the kid lost his melon. It was the middle of the game, but he was taking his pads, and he was going home.

At practice a few days later, the coach spread the news. The boy with the goalie equipment wasn’t coming back. So, who wanted the job?

“Everybody kind of turned and looked at me,” McCollum recalled Thursday.

The squirt defenseman from Sanborn had already earned a reputation as a shot-blocking madman, diving headfirst for the puck whenever he could.

“They figured, ‘He’s already crazy enough to do it, might as well let him do it all the time,’ ” McCollum said.

The family bought used pads here, borrowed a chest protector there. The equipment gradually improved, and so did McCollum. NHL Central Scouting ranks the 18-year-old as the No. 1 goalie in North America, and the Guelph Storm star should hear his name tonight during the first round of the NHL draft (7 p. m., Versus).

So, to that kid who quit and forced Wheatfield to try a new goalie, McCollum would like to say thanks. That game in Rochester changed his life.

“It turned out pretty well for me, so I’m not going to complain about it,” McCollum said. “Once I started playing, I really fell in love with the position.”

Somehow, no one really fell in love with him, at least not for a while. The kid who is the best draft-eligible goalie in North America couldn’t even make a Western New York team two years ago.

“I tried out for the Empire State Games the year before I came to Guelph, but I got cut from the team,” he said. “I missed the last tryout because I had to go to Guelph’s rookie camp, and I let them know that ahead of time. I never heard from them again. I just took it as, ‘All right, they don’t want me, that’s their loss.’ Not a whole lot to worry about now.”

McCollum, who played a year at Starpoint High School before joining Wheatfield Junior B, used that Empire snub as motivation. He was a nominee for Ontario Hockey League Goalie of the Year his first season (2006-07), setting a team record with five shutouts while posting a 2.39 goals-against average and .918 save percentage.

“He played very well in that first season, was at the top of all the goalie stats,” said his father, Paul. “You know that he can play at that level. Now comes this season, and you’ve got to do it again. That’s the secret.”

Sure enough, McCollum did it again. He started slow after not making the U. S. world junior team, but he rebounded to post four shutouts, a 2.50 and .914. Oh, and he’s also Guelph’s Academic Player of the Year.

“I’m a mom, so I always thought he was a special kid,” Shelley McCollum said. “But something like this?”

It makes for a great story, and the NHL agrees. The league’s production company has been following the McCollum family since Tuesday, and they’ll film his draft experience through the weekend.

“I don’t really do anything interesting, so I don’t know what you’re going to show,” McCollum said he told the film crew, thereby showing they did, in fact, pick an interesting guy.

McCollum isn’t wishing for any particular team to select him, but he wouldn’t mind the Buffalo Sabres. The McCollums had season tickets in the Aud and the first year in HSBC Arena. They are aware that locals Patrick Kaleta and Tim Kennedy are with the team, which picks 13th and 26th tonight in Scotiabank Place.

“It’d be nice to be another hometown kid,” McCollum said. “Hopefully, they’ll decide they want one at the goalie position.”

And they don’t have to worry. This goalie won’t throw a fit and quit in the middle of a game.

“I’m going to have the opportunity to play the game I love every day,” he said. “You can’t really ask for anything more than that.”

Jay
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Today is so much more quite then yesterday. I was hoping for some more big trades :(

MaxV
06-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Pens pick Nathan Moon. Another Center.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=96581

77 points in 68 games last season in OHL.

Jensen
06-21-2008, 12:09 PM
The Sharks traded up to draft a guy they probably could have gotten in the 4th or 5th round anyway. They drated a beanpole center, 6'2, 156 and that was ranked around the 100th best N.A. skater in the draft by some scouting agency. Worst draft in Sharks history, ftl.

Eaglez.Fan
06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
wow. This draft has been a shocker for Ottawa. Three swedes in 7 rounds. When Brian Murray has long been known for his big Canadian players, he takes Karlsson whose 5'10 160, Andre Petersson at 5'9 165, and Emil Sandin at 5'10 175. I expected us to go big but I'd perfer this type of draft.

06-21-2008, 01:59 PM
The Leafs draft strategy this time around is to definitely go big. Not a single player a shade under 6'2 thus far.

SuperMcGee
06-21-2008, 02:50 PM
But what do we do if we sign a veteran defenseman and Teppo?

Hank, Lydman, Spacek, Sekera, Teppo, and the new vet play. Paetsch sits because he isn't that good, and Weber is in Portland. That seems like the simplest scenario to figure out who would play, but of course it involves the mega-wildcard that is Teppo.
Too many scenarios. For all I know we could end up signing nobody but Nolan Pratt.

SuperMcGee
06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
The Leafs draft strategy this time around is to definitely go big. Not a single player a shade under 6'2 thus far.

The bigger they are, the more embarassing it looks when Gerbe and Ennis fly by them!

Stash
06-21-2008, 03:32 PM
The Sharks traded up to draft a guy they probably could have gotten in the 4th or 5th round anyway. They drated a beanpole center, 6'2, 156 and that was ranked around the 100th best N.A. skater in the draft by some scouting agency. Worst draft in Sharks history, ftl.

What did we trade?

NM, I found it. 62nd pick acquired in draft-day trade with Tampa. Sharks trade away their own 3rd (117th) and 4th (147th) picks, and an 09 3rd rd pick.

holt_bruce81
06-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Kirill Petrov in the 3rd round, Islanders got a steal.

Wootylicous
06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Maxim Trunev is just a steal! I'm pretty happy considering he is a 5th rounder.

06-22-2008, 01:25 PM
All these Russians are steals damnit.

Wootylicous
06-22-2008, 01:27 PM
If Trunev were born 8 days later, he'd be in the '09 Draft and would probably be talked about as a first rounder. As it is, the diminutive forward posted an impressive season with Severstal's farm club, leading them in every major statistical category. Trunev doesn't just deke- his quick feints make a puck appear as though it has been deked through an opposing player's stick or skates. Topping it off are bursts of acceleration that the young Russian expertly employs in order to cut defenders wide. He'll be a special player if he adds some muscle. :D

TimD
06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
All these Russians are steals damnit.

yeah but its never a guarantee that they'll ever play in the NHL. and sometimes their style of play doesn't work so they have to go back to the KHL (formerly known as the superleague)

Also I'm going to look for more players from Kazakhstan coming in the next few years considering they have a professional team in Russia's big league, the KHL.