PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service

49ersfan_87
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Anyone else in a job that requires customer service, either currently or in the past? I currently work in an amusement park. I imagine most people have, most jobs require some degree of customer interaction..

Anyways, i thought i would post a thread where we could all share our customer service experiences, both good and bad, and general info/advice, pet peeves, etc..

One thing ill say is customer service has definitely helped me look at the world from a sellers point of view. Im always gracious and courteous when i purchase something and never fly off the handle if the line at home depot or whatever takes a little while.

I think the worst story i have is what happened a year ago. I was selling this guy some entrance tickets (he was with a big family of 7-8, he was pakistani). He disagreed with the price i was quoting him and thought i was ripping him off. He says that he is going to another window (which wouldnt do anything), so i make a quick remark to my coworker next to me to "watch out for them". It was more of watching out for his personality because i know people from pakistan/india can get very pushy and aggressive when they dont get what they want. (Im from india myself so i know the type perfectly). He proceeds to chew me out loudly for the next 10 minutes, asking if i am a manager and that i do this because i dont like him and a bunch of nonsensical rubish. At first i was amused because he looked like a fool but i came close to yelling at him because getting yelled at for 10 minutes straight is not pleasant whatsoever. Needless to say i was extremely pissed off for the rest of the day.

Anyways, thats just some story/comments i have, anyone have their own stories/comments?

yo123
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I work at a grocery store, but I don't know where anything is so I basically just tell everyone to ask someone else.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I spent a good chunk of last year as a late night pizza chef here in the city, so I had to interact with some thoroughly frustrating people. On my second day I had two very drunk men with a kid who were trying to tell me (for almost 30 minutes) that since I had initially given them the wrong change (which I immediately corrected), I owed them a free pizza. During my second week I had to chase out a homeless man who had stolen someone's slice. The list goes on for ages.

The only real piece of advice is that people are endlessly stupid. They will ask questions that have already been answered. They will insist that they deserve special treatment. They will act towards you in a way that they wouldn't act towards anyone who wasn't being paid to take their crap. So either develop some patience or stop working retail.

farfromforgotten
05-25-2008, 10:18 PM
I once worked a Wal Mart seasonal position when I graduated from High School. In 1998. About 20 feet from the register I worked at they had a bin full of these Xmas puppy dogs that, when squeezed, would sing the all time classic hit "Who let the dogs out?".

I remember those things going off about 2323523 times a shift and me continually swearing that the next time someone pushes one of those ******* things I was gonna set that bin on fire.

I havent worked in customer service since.

SMoore
05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Well i work at a convenience store and i actually have a really funny story from today.

This 55-60 year old white guy came in, and said he needed a propane tank exchange

So i go out to get the new tank and he comes out and is like, "y'all got all the shapely bitches in there"

It was awkward so i just shook if off and said "ah yea i guess"

so he says "woo god damn"

and then when i went back inside he said "yo thanks brra" real gangsta like

made my day

PACKmanN
05-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I as well work at a grocery store and I hate 2 type of customers. Ones that come LATE with 30 minutes before closing this causing me to not close early and ones that are told by me and others we are sold out on a product yet want me to check the back if we have any.

fischbowl
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaRKsu0KOM

OK, it's in Italian I think but if you've seen the classic you'd understand

"Say, you got hubcaps for a '72 Pinto?"

tEk
05-25-2008, 11:00 PM
i hate people, they have ******** problems and force them on underpayed employees. just cause you're an idiot and can't figure out how to put something together doesn't mean its defective. a big flippin of the bird to all the consumers out there. you are the reason i quit my last job.

YAYareaRB
05-25-2008, 11:07 PM
my junior year in high school, i worked at target. i got fired. i would usually do stuff like the black guy in 40 year old virgin.

yo123
05-25-2008, 11:10 PM
my junior year in high school, i worked at target. i got fired. i would usually do stuff like the black guy in 40 year old virgin.

Yeah, I usually strive to do just enough to not get fired, because I don't want that on my resume.

Brent
05-25-2008, 11:35 PM
when I worked at Petsmart, all I did was stock shelves but people would ask me questions about their animals expecting me to know. and it wasnt stuff like what should I feed them but rather stuff they should see a vet about and when I didnt know the answer they would think I was an asshole or something

art vandelay
05-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I used to work at a large grocery store chain but I had to quit. It really makes you see the absolute worst in people and makes you go crazy.

fischbowl
05-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I used to work at a large grocery store chain but I had to quit. It really makes you see the absolute worst in people and makes you go crazy.

Wegmans?!

The greatest!

art vandelay
05-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Wegmans?!

The greatest!

How'd you know? Towards the end of my time there, I was literally going crazy. People take advantage of you so bad there because Wegmans prides itself on their customer service. AKA the workers there are slave bitches.

WMD
05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Jesus.. I work at KFC. People are just insanely stupid and ignorant. They either can't read or they don't care to. They ask moronic questions. I didn't know how much I hated people until I worked there. I am on the brink of insanity.

Though it has helped my sense of humor. You just have to laugh at these idiots.

fischbowl
05-26-2008, 12:15 AM
How'd you know? Towards the end of my time there, I was literally going crazy. People take advantage of you so bad there because Wegmans prides itself on their customer service. AKA the workers there are slave bitches.

Cause Wegmans is thee premier WNY Supermarket and it is also a fantastic place to shop. In fact, I have determined, it is a happy place. The Wegmans Card On My Key's Is Well Used

The Dynasty
05-26-2008, 12:16 AM
I dislike middle age women. I dont know why they have to pull out every T-shirt out from the cubby things at Steve and Barry's and unfold them and then stuff them back in and make my job even worse. Ugh....The only thing I can answer is Where is the Fitting Room thats all i know.

Ill have to agree with PackmanN, People who come in in the last minute ticks me off but nothing makes it worse when you make the announcement that the store is now closing and people just continue to shop.

WMD
05-26-2008, 12:17 AM

If you've ever said the phrase "Extrapolate That!" you are my new hero.

fischbowl
05-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm an assistant funeral director. The worst is when people call for directions and myself having to explain them five times, especially in a world of GPS Machines

CashmoneyDrew
05-26-2008, 12:32 AM
If you've ever said the phrase "Extrapolate That!" you are my new hero.

Ha! When I say that word people look at me like I'm crazy.

Staying on topic, I am a waiter at a country club that claims to be one of the top 20 in the entire country and all I can say is that rich people are pricks. The little spoiled kids are the worst and I can't wait till the day I can finally leave that hell hole so I can shock the whole club by screaming obscenities at them!

themaninblack
05-26-2008, 12:36 AM
working in the food industry also lets you see the worst in people. I swear to god people cannot read signs to save their lives.

Crickett
05-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Jesus.. I work at KFC. People are just insanely stupid and ignorant. They either can't read or they don't care to. They ask moronic questions. I didn't know how much I hated people until I worked there. I am on the brink of insanity.

Maybe its because you worked at KFC. Once I went in to get popcorn chicken (not a common occurance for me btw) and the chick behind the register just goes off on the guy at the head of the line who I'm assuming also asked for popcorn chicken because apparently they had stopped offering it. At one point she asked (yelled) if they were still advertizing it or something and I remember that, if you considered seeing ads in the previous 48 hours counted, then the answer was yes.

kalbears13
05-26-2008, 12:47 AM
working in the food industry also lets you see the worst in people. I swear to god people cannot read signs to save their lives.

i'm a cashier at a carwash. I agree that people cannot read signs. I put a sign that says "Next register please" right in front of the register. Then the customer proceeds to unload his or her purse right in front of it expecting to pay for it right there. They then stand there for a minute and then I look over and say "I'll help you over here." and then they look at the sign and then they're like "Oh." and we have signs on the doors that say "please keep doors closed" and people don't understand that you want to close the door when it's 100 degrees out and you have the AC on.

Damix
05-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I've worked at a few grocery stores before. Sometimes as a cashier I would just plain not talk to people, its amazing how many people want to have a conversation while you ring them up.

WMD
05-26-2008, 12:53 AM

-People wait until they're at the Drive Thru speaker to discuss with the car full of people what they want to order.

-People sit at the Drive Thru speaker and tell me to hold on while they finish their cell phone call.

-People ask how much EVERYTHING is, even though there's a Menu Board right in their face.

-People ask stupid questions: "How many pieces are in an 8 Piece bucket?"

-People are just.. ignorant. We have a sandwich called the "Snacker". I've heard it called a Snicker, Kicker, and Smacker. Also, someone amazingly called the Strawberry Parfait a "Starberry Parfov".

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Ive worked as a lacrosse ref.I havent worked any other job.But you can do everything right as a ref and still get yelled at.The fans,players,and coaches are all annoying.

Brent
05-26-2008, 01:04 AM
worst job I ever had: little league ump.

and by little league I mean the 13-14 year old division... talk about taking **** from people. I should have just choked a dad out to shut the rest of them up. I have so many stories it should be it's own thread.

LonghornsLegend
05-26-2008, 03:07 AM
-People wait until they're at the Drive Thru speaker to discuss with the car full of people what they want to order.

-People sit at the Drive Thru speaker and tell me to hold on while they finish their cell phone call.

-People ask how much EVERYTHING is, even though there's a Menu Board right in their face.

-People ask stupid questions: "How many pieces are in an 8 Piece bucket?"

-People are just.. ignorant. We have a sandwich called the "Snacker". I've heard it called a Snicker, Kicker, and Smacker. Also, someone amazingly called the Strawberry Parfait a "Starberry Parfov".

LMAO thats good **** :D

I used to sell Kirby vacuum cleaners, don't know how I lasted as long as I did...Talk about pressure, you would have to be in someone's house by yourself trying to sell a product with no help, making sure you use all their cheesy little gimmick lines they want...I had to get out of sales all together.

Yatta!
05-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Wow am I seriously the only person who doesn't hate working with people. I work as a waiter and most of the people I serve are pleasant, some people are rude for no reason and that ***** me off but in general its a good job.

Sniper
05-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Wegmans?!

The greatest!

I also worked at Wegmans. I got fired though, because apparently they don't like it when you give massive amounts of food away to your friends and such. For example, my one buddy got two of the 14" sandwiches, a 2 liter of soda and a big bag of chips for.................75 cents. I started doing that because I hated the place. Great place to eat/shop, terrible place to work at.

Sniper
05-26-2008, 08:25 AM
I've worked at a few grocery stores before. Sometimes as a cashier I would just plain not talk to people, its amazing how many people want to have a conversation while you ring them up.

I agree. It's almost scary. I would also blatantly ignore them, but man, they loveeeeeeeeeeee to chat.

kalbears13
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I think everyone should have to work customer service for a month every 5 years just so they know what it's like to be on the other side.

art vandelay
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I also worked at Wegmans. I got fired though, because apparently they don't like it when you give massive amounts of food away to your friends and such. For example, my one buddy got two of the 14" sandwiches, a 2 liter of soda and a big bag of chips for.................75 cents. I started doing that because I hated the place. Great place to eat/shop, terrible place to work at.

Definitely how it is.

umphrey
05-26-2008, 11:29 AM
I worked at a liquor store for awhile. One day a women called me and asked what kind of beer we had. At the time the count was over 1000. She ended up hanging up in frustration, because she didn't believe me.

art vandelay
05-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Cause Wegmans is thee premier WNY Supermarket and it is also a fantastic place to shop. In fact, I have determined, it is a happy place. The Wegmans Card On My Key's Is Well Used

Not when you work there.

WMD
05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Wow am I seriously the only person who doesn't hate working with people. I work as a waiter and most of the people I serve are pleasant, some people are rude for no reason and that ***** me off but in general its a good job.

Well, it appears you work in Europe and not the United States.

UKfan
05-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I used to work in a maintenance call centre, the entire job was listening to peoples problems at a store and then sending someone to fix them. It sucks being yelled at, but definitely makes you more curteous when buying things.

skinzzfan25
05-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I hated working at Giant (supermarket).

I pushed carts and bagged groceries, and it was terrible. My boss was a jerk and would assign me to be by myself in the lot on the 3rd of July or right before some major holiday/snowstorm/hurricane etc. All of this in lovely DC summers at 100+ F or winters that would be pretty bad. I would have to wear the employee jackets that smell like weed and sweat.

People would go inside and tell my boss that I was taking a break on the bench. I know plenty of people that would just snap at my boss and go take a dump in the back of a delivery truck (true story).

ImBrotherCain
05-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Ok i worked at an IGA, and i was a stock boy... and it was great i had some crazy psycho lady come in there like twice a week. She would go through everything. She would literally go through each egg carton picking out the eggs she liked and putting them in a different carton and this one time she was rummaging through the milk and was like
"All the milk you have is dated to expire in two weeks you dont have any with a later date."
and i said " No ma'am all what we have is out here" so she literally walked into the back of the store where the milk cooler was and went in found one that had a date of like 2 days later than the others. Then proceded to tell my boss what had happened and he came up to me later and said yea umm shes a little out there. But i got millions of stories about this stuff thats just my favorite.

Brent
05-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I agree. It's almost scary. I would also blatantly ignore them, but man, they loveeeeeeeeeeee to chat.
really? I ******* hate it when cashiers try to talk to me.

Sniper
05-26-2008, 03:11 PM

Yeah people think you care. It's cute.

regoob2
05-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I love my job, I do sales which is the opposite of CS. I can say whatever I want to non-buying customers of course.

StripedWalrus
05-26-2008, 04:37 PM
My experiences as working as a cashier at a Home Depot

- Customers think you are an expert on all hardware, plumbing, lumber, lawnmowers, and anything else at the store, just because you work there.

- Customers think that you want to see pictures of the house they just remodeled.

- Customers like to use tools for about 1 year and then return them to the store as if it is a free rental place.

- Customers ask you to leave your register while you have a line full of people waiting to check out so you can go and look for a specific plumbing fitting you know nothing about, and possibly dont even carry in the store.

- Customer threatens to chop you man parts off because you wont return his stolen chainsaw. (yes this happened. the saw was clearly stolen and he tried to return it. When I said no, he threatened to chop off my man parts.)

- Customer threatens a fellow employee with a chainsaw because it wouldnt be returned due to the fact it was 6 years old. (this happened to a friend at the same store. The customer swung the chainsaw around and around with it on trying to kill my friend. The guy was arrested)

- Customers that are possibly body builders ask you to load their vehicles when they are stronger than you are and can do it themselves, but they are extremely lazy.

- Customer has a bad experience with another store worker and takes it out on you because you are the last person they see in the store. You had nothing to do with it because you had been standing at your register the whole time checking people out.

- Customers that are entirely to old to wear cut off short shorts that show the bottom of the ass, but insist on wearing them anyway and bending over to pick something up.

- Customers returning used plungers... ... ... ...

- Customers returning used Toilets... ... ... ...

- Customers returning something from a different store (Lowes, Walmart, etc.) but insist that they bought it at your store. Then a line builds up on a saturday afternoon because this person argues for 30 minutes that he swears he bought it at Home Depot.

- My all time favorite! A lady comes into the store... wants to return something. We decline to return it. So she takes off her wooden leg and throws it at the returns clerk.

Retail and customer service is the most demeaning and underrated career/job in the world.

StripedWalrus
05-26-2008, 04:40 PM

At alot of places Cashiers can be fired if they dont initiate some kind of conversation. Alot of times they have ot initiate conversations to get you to apply for credit cards. Store Credit cards are the biggest scam ever. Extremely high interest rates and no perks whatsoever. I hate customers that want to tell me their life story and I hate cashiers that want to do the same thing. It goes much faster if everyone just shuts up and goes about their business without talking.

yodabear
05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
I hate some of the stupid **** customers do (I work at a grocery store) Like when they ***** at me how much everything costs and how its 10 cents cheaper at Wal Mart. It pisses me off cuz I don't make the prices, if I hear them, **** costs way too much, but if I made the prices there would be no store cuz it would be bankrupt. And the thing about the 10 cents cheaper at Wal Mart, I ignore that ****, its a ******* dime, most of my dimes end up paying for hookers or on the floor in my bedroom, prolly picked up by hookers. Buy the ******* thing for 10 cents more. Or go to Wal Mart, its wasting more of ur money cuz u have to drive more, so enjoy ur ride to Wal Mart bitches!!!!

fischbowl
05-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Ok i worked at an IGA, and i was a stock boy... and it was great i had some crazy psycho lady come in there like twice a week. She would go through everything. She would literally go through each egg carton picking out the eggs she liked and putting them in a different carton and this one time she was rummaging through the milk and was like
"All the milk you have is dated to expire in two weeks you dont have any with a later date."
and i said " No ma'am all what we have is out here" so she literally walked into the back of the store where the milk cooler was and went in found one that had a date of like 2 days later than the others. Then proceded to tell my boss what had happened and he came up to me later and said yea umm shes a little out there. But i got millions of stories about this stuff thats just my favorite.

did you not see the Clerks video i Posted?

ImBrotherCain
05-26-2008, 05:17 PM
did you not see the Clerks video i Posted?

No lol i didnt catch that... but she actually looked a bit like that lady... no lie lol

terribletowel39
05-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow, alot of you work at a grocery stores. I used to work at this law firm that did every foreclosure in the state of Texas. And every single human that was either being foreclosed on or had been foreclosed on called me. And I had to deal with people like that. That is when it gets trying. Most of yall are dealing with people that are just having a bad day.

The people I dealt with were losing there homes. Words would start flying. Some of these people hadn't been paying there house note for like 11 months and all of sudden be pissed whenever they were going to be kicked out of the house in a month. Some people are special.

neko4
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I spent a good chunk of last year as a late night pizza chef here in the city, so I had to interact with some thoroughly frustrating people. On my second day I had two very drunk men with a kid who were trying to tell me (for almost 30 minutes) that since I had initially given them the wrong change (which I immediately corrected), I owed them a free pizza. During my second week I had to chase out a homeless man who had stolen someone's slice. The list goes on for ages.

The only real piece of advice is that people are endlessly stupid. They will ask questions that have already been answered. They will insist that they deserve special treatment. They will act towards you in a way that they wouldn't act towards anyone who wasn't being paid to take their crap. So either develop some patience or stop working retail.

I heard San Fran homeless people are angry. Freind of mine was kickd by one

Primetime21
05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
In about 2 weeks I am getting a job at a grocery store so thanks to everyone in this thread for lowering my expectations.

Terribletowel, how old where you when you worked at the firm. I would love to get involved at a local firm.

ImBrotherCain
05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow, alot of you work at a grocery stores. I used to work at this law firm that did every foreclosure in the state of Texas. And every single human that was either being foreclosed on or had been foreclosed on called me. And I had to deal with people like that. That is when it gets trying. Most of yall are dealing with people that are just having a bad day.

The people I dealt with were losing there homes. Words would start flying. Some of these people hadn't been paying there house note for like 11 months and all of sudden be pissed whenever they were going to be kicked out of the house in a month. Some people are special.

Well i used to work at a Grocery Store... i mean teenage kid needing gas money lol im never gonna work at a grocery store again after that experience.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Well they're homeless of course they're going to be angry.

Primetime21
05-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Couple of years ago in San Fran a homeless guy basically chased me and my dad trying to convince us to pay him for telling us a good place to eat. He stayed with us for a good 3 blocks.

neko4
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Well they're homeless of course they're going to be angry.
Well the ones in DC and NY arent quite as bad

Crickett
05-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Well the ones in DC and NY arent quite as bad

Yep, if there is one thing people in NY are known for, its politeness. :p

neko4
05-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Yep, if there is one thing people in NY are known for, its politeness. :p
Haha, ive never had any trouble with homeless people in NY. But people with homes are pretty rude.

This one hobo in DC called me a holyman for giving him some money.

Anyway, back on topic. I work for a congresswoman's campaign and some crazy-ish lady walked into the office asking for bumper stickers and stuff like that. Nobody knew her at all, it was weird. Its my first job (well actually an internship) so i dont have many stories yet. I do go door knocking trying to find peoples oppinion's and stuff, so im sure i'll have stupid story soon

skinzzfan25
05-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Our hobos are top notch.

However right down the street, baltimore is wayyyy different.

yodabear
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Downtown Milwaukee has quite a few homeless people or people who claim to be homeless. I've met quite a few.

Boston
05-26-2008, 09:27 PM
People are ******* ********. But, after dealing with it for awhile, you eventually get amused by it. The sad thing is: this only happens after you stop caring entirely.

themaninblack
05-26-2008, 09:46 PM
While on the subject of bums, the ones in Cincinnati are pretty amusing for the most part. There's at least one who sits outside Reds/Bengals games with a sign that says "Why lie, I need beer money too."

Duster
06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Worked at a grocery store as a cashier...never again...

Lady was complaining about us running out of a product. She sat there complaining for 5 minutes while I unloaded her cart onto the conveyer belt, knowing that it
a) wasn't my fault
b) was nothing I could do about it
She then proceeded to spill a full scalding hot coffee all over me and my brand new White on White Air Force Ones (ruined them). She gave me $5. If that happened to me today, I would either receive the full purchase price of my shoes from her plus extra for the hassle or I would put her in the Camel Clutch until her spine broke.

terribletowel39
06-13-2008, 04:00 PM
If that happened to me today, I would either receive the full purchase price of my shoes from her plus extra for the hassle or I would put her in the Camel Clutch until her spine broke.
I feel like this is a lie. And not good Customer Service.