PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto & D-Unit's Combo NBA Mock

D-Unit
05-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Ghetto (STRIP) and I have decided to do a LIVE NBA forum mock which will include the full 2 rounds. I'll take the odds, he'll take the evens. I expect the pace of this to be pretty slow. Comments are welcomed throughout the mock. First post will be kept updated.

Round 1

1. Chicago Bulls :: G Derrick Rose :: Memphis
2. Miami Heat: F:Michael Beasley: Kansas State
3. Minnesota Timberwolves :: C DeAndre Jordan :: Texas A&M
4. Seattle: PG/SG: Jerryd Bayless, Arizona
5. Memphis Grizzlies :: C Brook Lopez :: Stanford
6. New York Knicks :: SF Danilo Gallinari :: Italy
7. Los Angeles Clippers :: G OJ Mayo :: USC
8. Milwaukee Bucks :: SF/PF Anthony Randolph :: LSU
9. Charlotte Bobcats :: PF Kevin Love :: UCLA
10. New Jersey Nets :: PF/C Javale Mcgee :: Nevada
11. Indiana Pacers :: SG Eric Gordon :: Indiana
12. Sacramento Kings :: PG DJ Augustin :: Texas
13. Portland Trailblazers :: SF Joe Alexander :: West Virginia
14. Golden State Warriors :: PG Russell Westbrook :: UCLA
15. Phoenix Suns :: SG/SF Brandon Rush :: Kansas
16. Philadelphia 76ers :: PF Darrell Arthur :: Kansas
17. Toronto Raptors :: C Kosta Koufos :: Ohio State
18. Washington Wizards :: PF Joey Dorsey :: Memphis
19. Cleveland Cavaliers :: SG Chris Douglas-Roberts :: Memphis
20. Denver Nuggets :: SG/SF Nicolas Batum :: France
21. New Jersey Nets :: SF/PF Donte Greene :: Syracuse
22. Orlando Magic :: PF Marreese Speights ::: Florida
23. Utah Jazz :: SG/SF Chase Budinger :: Arizona
24. Seattle Sonics:: PF Jason Thompson :: Rider
25. Houston Rockets :: SF Bill Walker :: Kansas State
26. San Antonio Spurs :: PG Goran Dragic :: Slovenia
27. New Orleans Hornets :: G/F Courtney Lee :: Western Kentucky
28. Memphis Grizzlies:: F James Gist :: University of Maryland
29. Detroit Pistons :: PF Serge Jonas Ibaka :: Congo
30. Boston Celtics :: PG Mario Chalmers :: Kansas

Round 2

31. Minnesota Timberwolves :: PG Tywon Lawson :: North Carolina
32. Seattle Sonics :: C Roy Hibbert :: Georgetown
33. Portland Trailblazers :: PF/C Robin Lopez :: Stanford
34. Minnesota T'wolves :: PF DJ White :: Indiana
35. Los Angeles Clippers :: PF/C Nathan Jawai :: Australia
36. Portland TrailBlazers :: SF Davon Jefferson :: USC
37. Milwaukee Bucks :: SG Shan Foster :: Vanderbilt
38. Charlotte Bobcats :: PF/C Devon Hardin :: Cal
39. Chicago Bulls :: PF/C Alexis Ajinca :: France
40. New Jersey Nets:: SG Sonny Weems :: Arkansas
41. Indiana Pacers :: PF Richard Hendrix :: Alabama
42. Sacramento Kings :: PF Othello Hunter:: Ohio State
43. Sacramento Kings :: SG J.R. Giddens :: New Mexico
44. Utah Jazz :: SG Richard Roby :: Colorado
45. San Antonio Spurs :: G Lester Hudson :: Tennessee Martin
46. Seattle? Supersonics:: F Patrick Ewing Jr. :: Georgetown
47. Washington Wizards :: G Jamont Gordon :: Mississippi
48. Phoenix Suns :: SF Will Daniels :: Rhode Island
49. Golden State Warriors :: G/F Gary Forbes :: UMass
50. Seattle Sonics:: PF Ryan Anderson:: Cal
51. Dallas Mavericks :: SG Wayne Ellington :: North Carolina
52. Miami Heat:: PG Mike Taylor: Idaho Stampede(NBDL)
53. Utah Jazz :: PF/C Nikola Pekovic :: Montenegro
54. Houston Rockets :: C John Riek:: High School(Eligible for draft, prep school)
55. Portland Trailblazers :: G Kyle Weaver :: Washington St

1. Chicago Bulls :: G Derrick Rose :: Memphis
At this point, I'm fairly convinced John Paxson will select Derrick Rose. The Chicago media is already pressuring the Bulls to select Rose and trade Hinrich. Hinrich has his fair share of critics in Chicago so trading him is easier than figuring out what to do with Tyrus Thomas should Beasley be the pick. Taking Beasley at #1 would admit Paxson failed on his Thomas selection. Rose may actually do Pax a favor if he can help Thomas become the player the Bulls envisioned. Rose will also be a better compliment to Ben Gordon as he improves the size of the Bulls backcourt.

RoyHall#1
05-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice, this should be fun to follow. No surprise at 1.

thetedginnshow
05-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I just realized his acronym would be STRIP. That's actually kind of cool. But once Ghetto, always Ghetto...

eaglesfan_45
05-26-2008, 05:09 PM
This is going to be good! :D [waits impatiently]

SeanTaylorRIP
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
2. Miami Heat: F:Michael Beasley: Kansas State
I know OJ Mayo, whatever, if the Heat keep the 2nd pick they are not taking Mayo over Beasley, or Rose for that matter, and that's just the truth. There is a good chance Shawn Marion is not back in Miami, and even if he is, they still go Michael Beasley. Beasley would give the Heat a bona fide #2 scorer to Dwade with the ability to take over offensively at any time. The Heat are in dire need of some wins, and Beasley is an instant contributer.

neko4
05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone think OJ's stock is droppig because of the scandal thingy? Nice pick btw

I dont follow BB enough to know

fenikz
05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
the only problem with Beasley and Wade in Miami would be that Marion would feel slighted again and reek havoc in the club house, we know he doesn't like being the 3rd option

D-Unit
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
3. Minnesota Timberwolves :: C DeAndre Jordan :: Texas A&M
Is it too late for Jordan to recover his draft stock? He was once a consideration for the Top 3, but poor production has caused a free fall. NBA scouts are not clueless however, and those in the business long enough, know that the college game is not suited for big men to excel in. Chad Ford has already been criticized for putting Jordan too low in his own mock draft. No one is saying he's a top 3 pick now, but watch this story carefully. I expect Jordan's stock to continue to rise this high leading up to the draft. Just remember where you heard it first. ;) His combination of size and athleticism exceeds that of all the true Center prospects in this draft. With a good dose of NBA schooling and conditioning, Jordan can thrive in the NBA where big men are utilized better.

thetedginnshow
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
This actually isn't the first place I've heard Jordan going third overall, and I believe I told people of it a couple days ago (might have been elsewhere). But I'll be sure to give you credit. lol

princefielder28
05-26-2008, 07:16 PM
I love Jordan just as much as anyone, but I don't see the Wolves going after him unless they trade down. The Wolves need someone that can give them decent production every night and early and I believe that leaves the pick down to Lopez or Mayo. Props to McHale if he does it though because he's taking a BIG picture approach

SeanTaylorRIP
05-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Seattle: PG/SG: Jerryd Bayless, Arizona
To me if he is here, this is a no brainer. While Bayless is not the purest of points, and is more of a scorer, he is capable at running the point and adding him to the Sonics young solid nucleus, will only make them better. He should average 15+ ppg from his first season in the league. Look for them to address the front line or maybe even take a more pure point like Chalmers at #24.

D-Unit
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
5. Memphis Grizzlies :: C Brook Lopez :: Stanford
Poor Grizzlies. The lottery has been more unkind to them than any team in the NBA. Yes, I have them passing on OJ Mayo. Simply put, they are fine at that position and would be better served addressing another position or weakness. Mayo is somewhat of a prima dona and the last thing the Grizzlies want is to be trapped in another Steve Francis draft fiasco. Between Mike Conley, Kyle Lowrey, Javaris Crittenton, and Juan Carlos Navarro, the Grizzlies have enough young talent to cultivate at the Point Guard position and if they want a SG, there are better pure SG options out there and Mike Miller wouldn't be useated by Mayo anyways. Don't tell me that Miller should play SF because Rudy *** has that position locked up. Bottom line is Memphis is ok in the backcourt and on the wings. It's their frontcourt that lacks substance. Hakim Warrick is a nice sub of the bench, but nothing more. Darko will never be a starting Center on a winning team. Lopez isn't a sure thing, but he's the best option remaining. That said don't be surprised if Kevin Love isn't the selection. It was very close for me. I'm just not bold enough to pull the trigger on that one just yet.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry guys I have to head on out, but D can make his next pick and it will leave more suspense till tomorrow and more discussion on the picks so far, anyways:

6. New York Knicks: Danilo Gallinari: SF, Italy
I considered 3 guys here, Anthony Randolph, OJ Mayo, and Danilo Gallinari. Randolph would be a nice fit because his athleticism but I think he would be eaten up by New York fans. He will take a ton of time to develop and I think the fans would stunt his growth expecting him to contribute his first few years, if he goes to New York he can end up being like fellow LSU top 5 picks Stromile Swift and Tyrus Thomas. Mayo although appearing to be a perfect New York Knicks pick, I just don't like the fit. Another combo guard who only wants to shoot, although his value here is good. In the end I went with the Euro sharpshooter who has been 100x better in Italy than Bargnani ever was, and he figures to be much better in the pros than Andrea. Gallinari has good size and offensive skill, add to that his father played with D'Antoni, and D'Antoni has a hard on for Euro's, and you have the perfect fit.

Vikes99ej
05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
I like the Jordan pick a lot more than Lopez. I wonder how he would compliment Jefferson.

LonghornsLegend
05-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Good work so far guys, agree with the Rose pick...With Tyrus Thoma I think about Chandler and CP3, a great point guard makes an athletic guy like him so valuable, as wellas being dynamic passer and scorer I don't see any way he doesn't make Gordon, Deng, and Thomas all much better players then they are...You can't get a much better fit then that.

D-Unit
05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
7. Los Angeles Clippers :: G OJ Mayo :: USC

Donald Sterling is pleasantly surprised to find OJ Mayo fall into his laps. Mayo is exactly the type of razzmatazz player Sterling has always been fond of. There will be a lot of important decisions to be made by the Clippers and their players this offseason. Maggette and Brand can opt out of their contracts with the thought of bolting to winning teams. That would leave the team with a ton of cap space to work with. Livingston is a RFA and the Clips need to figure out what to do with him. Cassell is gone and Dikau is not coming back. However, Mayo is a no brainer here and he will give the team some options. Mayo would team with Thornton and Kaman as the Clippers building blocks of the future.

PS. Let's just hope those USC rumors are false and the university is not punished. Otherwise Mayo could be public enemy #1 in socal.

nemesis3394
05-27-2008, 12:48 AM
I like the Jordan pick too...im not a big fan of lopez so if they have to choose have it be between Mayo and Jordan

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
8. Milwaukee Bucks: Anthony Randolph:SF/PF:LSU
This was a tough pick to predict, but with the Center position in decent depth with Bogut and Gadzuric, and PG spot with Mo Williams and the late season promise of Ramon Sessions, I think it gives the Bucks to the luxury to take a hit or miss type prospect like Randolph. While SG could be their biggest need, if they keep Redd I think they should opt for BPA, and Randolph would be that guy. They obviously have a fancy for SF/PF type tweeners like Yi, and Charlie Villanueva, but I think they would look to get Randolph to beef up a bit and play a Jamison type PF role, or at the very least I guess you can't have enough athletic wing players with potential to be real good. Personally I think Randolph has a bigger chance of being a bust than being great, but this is just a pick I could foresee happening in this situation. Having a guard like Mo Williams I avoided them taking other "combo" guards like Eric Gordon or Russell Westbrook.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
I like the Jordan pick too...im not a big fan of lopez so if they have to choose have it be between Mayo and Jordan
Don't be surprised if the Timberwolves end up with Kevin Love too. If they can't get him in a trade down, he might end up being the 3rd pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Don't be surprised if the Timberwolves end up with Kevin Love too. If they can't get him in a trade down, he might end up being the 3rd pick.

But only because Mchale is hard for Love.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 02:20 PM
8. Milwaukee Bucks: Anthony Randolph:SF/PF:LSU
This was a tough pick to predict, but with the Center position in decent depth with Bogut and Gadzuric, and PG spot with Mo Williams and the late season promise of Ramon Sessions, I think it gives the Bucks to the luxury to take a hit or miss type prospect like Randolph. While SG could be their biggest need, if they keep Redd I think they should opt for BPA, and Randolph would be that guy. They obviously have a fancy for SF/PF type tweeners like Yi, and Charlie Villanueva, but I think they would look to get Randolph to beef up a bit and play a Jamison type PF role, or at the very least I guess you can't have enough athletic wing players with potential to be real good. Personally I think Randolph has a bigger chance of being a bust than being great, but this is just a pick I could foresee happening in this situation. Having a guard like Mo Williams I avoided them taking other "combo" guards like Eric Gordon or Russell Westbrook.
The only reason I can understand this pick is because the Bucks aren't known to make wise decisions. I also have serious doubts that Michael Redd returns. They are shopping him hard. I have a hunch Redd ends up in Cleveland next to Bron Bron. This is major speculation though. Next pick coming right up.

MetSox17
05-27-2008, 02:20 PM

Why shouldn't i be surprised to see Eduardo Najera go at 3?

thetedginnshow
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure why McHale likes Love on that team so much. I can see why he'd be enamored with him as a player, but unless he thinks he can play Center, I don't think it'd be wise. For the future, Al should be entrenched at the 4. Of course, I think the likelihood of Love going to the Wolves is as great as Gordon going to the Sonics, as there's been rumors of both.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 02:23 PM
The only reason I can understand this pick is because the Bucks aren't known to make wise decisions. I also have serious doubts that Michael Redd returns. They are shopping him hard. I have a hunch Redd ends up in Cleveland next to Bron Bron. This is major speculation though. Next pick coming right up.

If they ship Redd they are definitely getting a SG back in return.

DChess
05-27-2008, 02:26 PM
i like the randolph pick

RoyHall#1
05-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Any links/more info on this Redd to Cleveland stuff?

DChess
05-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Any links/more info on this Redd to Cleveland stuff?

just specualtion

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/cavs/2008/05/26/answering-some-rumors/

also redd is on a different page then the bucks

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 03:04 PM
9. Charlotte Bobcats :: PF Darrell Arthur :: Kansas
New GM Rod Higgins has already openly said that Larry Brown will have a big say in who the team drafts. "Larry has seen thousands of players, thousands of games," Higgins said. "He'll have plenty of input in what we do." It will be interesting to see how Larry Brown evaluates the current roster. He loves lock down defenders who can defend without taking too many risks. Higgins also said he wouldn't disregard a great player who duplicates what the team already has, and they'd be better off drafting a point guard or a big man. Raymond Felton is the only PG on the current roster, so PG might be a look here, especially now that the first tier of big men are off the board, but Brown has stated his strong desire to add Eric Snow to the team and that would lessen the immediate need for PG help. Augustin does not fit the mold for Brown, but Darrell Arthur could give him impressions of former Larry Brown favorite, PJ Brown. Excerpt from nbadraft.net, "skilled power forward with a tremendous package of size and athleticism … Measures in at 6’9” 230 lbs with bigtime hops and lateral quickness … Possesses a good handle for a player his size as well as a mid-range shot … Led the Jayhawks in blocked shots as a freshman with 56, displaying his quick, explosive vertical leap". In a recent ESPN article, Arthur is a top 10 player according to NBA scouts and executives. If the draft shakes out as it has in our mock, I like Arthur for the Bobcats.

scottyboy
05-27-2008, 03:20 PM
hmmm interesting to see where Ghetto goes here for the Nets. alot of my top guys are gone...

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
After this I'll be out for an hour or so
10. New Jersey Nets: Javale Mcgee: PF/C, Nevada
This was a pretty hard pick to make considering what was left. In the end I decided to take Mcgee maybe a little higher than he should go, because the Nets are looking at potential here. It is obvious that they are in rebuilding mode, as this current roster won't come near challenging in the East, and with several other key bigs gone notably Jordan and Arthur, I went with the raw big man from Nevada. He is a ways at this point from being a real NBA contributer, but he does have a bunch of tools to work with. He has a huge wingspan and runs the floor amazingly well from someone his height. He has lots of offensive potential and his shot looks like it could be solid with some coaching, as well as having great defensive potential, the drafting of him would make it interesting to view his growth along with Sean Williams.

scottyboy
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
hmmm Mcgee and Sean would be a nice young duo to grow. Throw in Harris and most likely a 2 guard or SF at pick 21, and we could have a nice young nucleus

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
hmmm Mcgee and Sean would be a nice young duo to grow. Throw in Harris and most likely a 2 guard or SF at pick 21, and we could have a nice young nucleus

That's exactly what I was thinking, the value of a guy with some much potential like Mcgee and a solid SG/SF like Batum, Douglas-Roberts, or Bill Walker is better than taking a guy like Eric Gordon at 10, and say Roy Hibbert at 21.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
The Pacers are satisfied that DJ Augustin is available for them to select here. There were rumors that Augustin could go as high as #7 to the Clippers, so him being at 11 is supposed to feel great, right? Plus, Jim O'Brien has kept it no secret that PG is their #1 priority as they simply cannot rely on Tinsley being healthy and reliable. So why does everyone have a stared blank look on their face? Ha! Because no one really expected Eric Gordon to still be available here. Yet, they are passing on the local Indiana Hoosier phenom and it just doesn't leave a good feeling in everyone's stomachs. A lot of faith is being placed on Augustin, but the reasoning makes sense... Granger and Dunleavy thrived in O'Brien's scheme. The two averaged career highs in points and were the focal point of an offense that relied on three-point shooting. Both players attempted at least 389 three-pointers, with Granger making 171 and Dunleavy making 165. Seems like the same formula the Magic employed this past year, so natuarlly, Augustin...who some compare to a Jameer Nelson type becomes the selection here and Gordon continues his free fall.

*HALT!*

At the last second, Larry Bird steps in and vetos the selection of Augustin. With the 11th pick of the 2008 NBA Draft, the Indiana Pacers select:

SG Eric Gordon from the University of Indiana

The reasoning is that Dunleavy and Granger are versatile enough to move around the line up. Dunleavy can stay at SF and Granger can play PF similarly to Turkoglu and Lewis in Orlando. Eric Gordon has the range and mentality that can thrive in this system and will only further stretch the court and open up the inside where Jermaine O'Neal can operate with more space. Bird also declares that he has received the ok from ownership to spend the MLE to try and attract a PG through FA. Using the MLE was thought of as a reservation due to Indiana's tight cap situation, but ownership gives Bird the thumbs up and he gladly vetos the selection of Augustin. Everyone goes home happy. The End.

11. Indiana Pacers :: SG Eric Gordon :: Indiana

BeerBaron
05-27-2008, 05:17 PM
lol, i like the storylines behind the pacers pick. nice write up

scottyboy
05-27-2008, 05:38 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking, the value of a guy with some much potential like Mcgee and a solid SG/SF like Batum, Douglas-Roberts, or Bill Walker is better than taking a guy like Eric Gordon at 10, and say Roy Hibbert at 21.

yea, there are a lot of SG/SF around that area like those guys you mentioned and even Rush and possibly Budinger. Hell, in this one, they way Gordon is falling, we may use 21, 40 and someone else to move up and snag him!

princefielder28
05-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Love the Bucks pick!

MaxV
05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Well, Gordon would certainly be a very good value at 11, but obviously PG is the biggest need.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if JO is traded.

skinzzfan25
05-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Well, Gordon would certainly be a very good value at 11, but obviously PG is the biggest need.

I'd love the Wizards to get JO somehow.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 07:09 PM

I'd actually go one forward and say JO is most likely to be traded. They've tried to trade him over and over again in recent times, but no one has been biting. If Indiana can lower their demands, he's a gonner. But even if so, there are no bigs available at 11 in this mock to justify passing on Gordon and there's probably a strong likelihood that Indiana receives another big in return. For me, it was a close decision between Augustin and Gordon and I went with Gordon who is a higher rated prospect.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd love the Wizards to get JO somehow.
It'd have to be a damn good deal for Indiana for them to trade JO to another team in the East.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Love the Bucks pick!
What's the logic behind that selection?

MaxV
05-27-2008, 07:28 PM
BTW, this may come as a surprise, but I acctually like Russell Westbrook more then Augustin.

Augustin is a better player right now, but Westbrook has more upside.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 07:37 PM
BTW, this may come as a surprise, but I acctually like Russell Westbrook more then Augustin.

Augustin is a better player right now, but Westbrook has more upside.
Westbrook doesn't have more upside when it comes to being a PG though. He has upside because if he can develop his ball handling, aim and touch on the ball, then he can become a better offensive player because he's already fast, he can dunk and plays good defense. I like to watch him more than Augustin because he's an exciting player, but he doesn't have the mentality of that of a PG and those things never change. Augustin is a pass first PG who will look to set up teammates, breakdown defenses and be a leader on the court controlling the tempo of the game. Westbrook is not that type of guard, but I'd agree he has a higher ceiling to reach his own potential.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 07:38 PM
12) Sacramento Kings: DJ Augustin: PG:Texas
The Kings have a need at bascially every postition, but I opted to give them Augustin the drafts 2nd best pure point, as with the departure of Bibby they need a starting PG, or at least one to groom. I know Scotty, Quincy Dooby is a future hall of famer, but still, Anthony Johnson is a backup at best at this point in his career, Douby is a combo guard who hasn't proven to be able to do anything in this league, and while Udrih was solid, we all know that he is suited for a bench type roll. Augustin would hopefully help jump start things with his ability to run an offense, but regardless this Kings team looks terrible and I can't see them making the playoffs in the next 10 years.

scottyboy
05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
HEY HEY! Douby will be known as the BEST combo guard in the history of history!!!!

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
This pick of all picks in the draft probably has the highest percentage of being traded away. The Trailblazers are not in the league's top echelon of teams, but they do have a solid core of players that goes 8 deep. Upgrades via the 13th pick of the draft will be a difficult find. However, if they can pawn the pick off for a player like Jose Calderon or Kirk Hinrich, GM Kevin Pritchard would more than likely seek that route. Afterall, he hasn't picked in the draft spot the Blazers were given in the lottery since he became GM. I'm really hard pressed to make the selection for the Blazers here, but since I'm forced to (because this is just a simple mock), the guy that I like for them here is:

Alexander works his ass off to improve his game and the results are starting to be noticed by those who make draft day decisions. Some are starting to call him one of the BEST athletes in the entire draft. He opened many eyes with his gutsy tournament performance, and now is one of the hottest risers in the draft. He's turning into one of those guys that people are saying is so underhyped that he's starting to become overhyped. Nevertheless, he's a high character guy who would be a good decision by a team barely getting past their "Jailblazer" reputation. Alexander's work ethic would also push Webster and Outlaw to meet the expectations that the organization had on them originally. It's decision time for them coming up soon.

BeerBaron
05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
This pick of all picks in the draft probably has the highest percentage of being traded away. The Trailblazers are not in the league's top echelon of teams, but they do have a solid core of players that goes 8 deep. Upgrades via the 13th pick of the draft will be a difficult find. However, if they can pawn the pick off for a player like Jose Calderon or Kirk Hinrich, GM Kevin Pritchard would more than likely seek that route. Afterall, he hasn't picked in the draft spot the Blazers were given in the lottery since he became GM. I'm really hard pressed to make the selection for the Blazers here, but since I'm forced to (because this is just a simple mock), the guy that I like for them here is:

Alexander works his ass off to improve his game and the results are starting to be noticed by those who make draft day decisions. Some are starting to call him one of the BEST athletes in the entire draft. He opened many eyes with his gutsy tournament performance, and now is one of the hottest risers in the draft. He's turning into one of those guys that people are saying is so underhyped that he's starting to become overhyped. Nevertheless, he's a high character guy who would be a good decision by a team barely getting past their "Jailblazer" reputation. Alexander's work ethic would also push Webster and Outlaw to meet the expectations that the organization had on them originally. It's decision time for them coming up soon.

wait....has he been GM for less than a year? how did they get the #1 pick last year to get greg oden then?

SeanTaylorRIP
05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
14) Golden State Warriors :: PG/SG Russell Westbrook :: UCLA

This pick they could have gone a number of ways, but I made this pick with the assumption that Baron Davis lands elsewhere, which I really do believe to be true. While the Warriors do need front line help, bigs like Kevin Love, Marrese Speights, Roy Hibbert, etc., just don't fit into their system at all. I will say though that you could look at this spot for them to go for a Kosta Koufus or Jason Thompson, or even a trade down into the mid 20's and draft Hickson or Dorsey, but here I see them going best value, and if there is any system that fits Westbrook perfectly, it would be the Warriors. Being able to run up and down in transition, allows Westbrook to utilize his greatest assets as a ball player. Whether or not he will ever be able to play the point is in question, but at the very least with Monta stepping into the lineup, he would then fill the void serving as the sparkplug off the bench that Monta served. Again this pick is very Dependant on Baron Davis's future with the team, as they could easily go big here, even reaching on a Hickson or Jason Thompson. Or they could even elect for another athletic wing like Batum or Chris Douglass-Roberts, but with last years pick of Bellineli, that looks unlikely.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
wait....has he been GM for less than a year? how did they get the #1 pick last year to get greg oden then?
I guess he was only assistant GM in 2006, even though he was given the reigns to run that draft. But he also ochestrated draft day trades prior to that in 2005.

But his trades have been so one sided that the term "Pritch Slap" has been used on teams who he's completed trades with.

* A deal prior to the 2006 NBA Draft which sent Sebastian Telfair and Theo Ratliff to the Boston Celtics in exchange for the #7 pick in that year's draft and Raef LaFrentz.

* A draft-day deal which sent Tyrus Thomas (the team's draft choice at #4) and Viktor Khryapa to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for the #2 pick, LaMarcus Aldridge

* A second draft-day deal which sent the #7 pick in the draft, Randy Foye, along with cash considerations, to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for the #6 pick, Brandon Roy. Roy would end up being named Rookie of the Year, and would be selected as an All-Star the following season.

* A third draft-day deal in which the team acquired the rights to the #27 pick in the draft, Sergio Rodriguez, from the Phoenix Suns in exchange for cash.

* The Blazers sent mercurial forward Zach Randolph to the New York Knicks, along with guards Fred Jones and Dan Dickau, in exchange for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, and a trade exception.

* The team subsequently used the trade exception to acquire forward James Jones and the rights to the #24 pick in the draft, Rudy Fernandez from the Suns, in exchange for cash.

MetSox17
05-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Whoa, what's with that shot at the Kings not making the PO's in 10 years?!

I'd wet myself of happiness if DJ made it to the Kings' pick. We have some scorers already on the team, so having a PG to set them all up would be perfect. It would be sweet if someone could take Artest off our hands..

kwilk103
05-27-2008, 08:55 PM
any chance alexander goes to an eastern team?

thetedginnshow
05-27-2008, 08:57 PM
I guess he was only assistant GM in 2006, even though he was given the reigns to run that draft. But he also ochestrated draft day trades prior to that in 2005.

But his trades have been so one sided that the term "Pritch Slap" has been used on teams who he's completed trades with.

* A deal prior to the 2006 NBA Draft which sent Sebastian Telfair and Theo Ratliff to the Boston Celtics in exchange for the #7 pick in that year's draft and Raef LaFrentz.

* A draft-day deal which sent Tyrus Thomas (the team's draft choice at #4) and Viktor Khryapa to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for the #2 pick, LaMarcus Aldridge

* A second draft-day deal which sent the #7 pick in the draft, Randy Foye, along with cash considerations, to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for the #6 pick, Brandon Roy. Roy would end up being named Rookie of the Year, and would be selected as an All-Star the following season.

* A third draft-day deal in which the team acquired the rights to the #27 pick in the draft, Sergio Rodriguez, from the Phoenix Suns in exchange for cash.

* The Blazers sent mercurial forward Zach Randolph to the New York Knicks, along with guards Fred Jones and Dan Dickau, in exchange for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, and a trade exception.

* The team subsequently used the trade exception to acquire forward James Jones and the rights to the #24 pick in the draft, Rudy Fernandez from the Suns, in exchange for cash.

I think he knows most of that, and merely was talking about the fact that you forgot about last year.

In any case, I'll be surprised to see Westbrook fall that far. But, I wouldn't rule it out at all. It's amazing looking at the available talent seeing how far some very good prospects could fall.

BeerBaron
05-27-2008, 09:14 PM
yeah, i was really just asking about oden. after i read what he wrote, i went on a google spree trying to figure out how they got the #1 pick if they didnt get it in the lottery, lol. just threw me off for a second

bernbabybern820
05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Hmmm Kevin Love falling this far?

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
At this point it's kind of difficult to project a player here based of how he fits the system seeing as right now, the Suns don't yet have a Head Coach. However, it is clear that with Kerr at the helm, what he is trying to do is match the competition versus set the bar. What that means, is that he'll use a little less creativity and imagination in trying to build his own winning model and instead try to match tit for tat with the competition in order to stack up eye to eye. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but it makes guessing the pick a little easier. Kerr also has small balls when it comes to risk. Expect him to make a safer pick than a risky pick on upside.

15. Phoenix Suns :: SG/SF Brandon Rush :: Kansas

Brandon Rush is one of the more ready NBA prospects in the draft. Already at 22 years old, he's a polished college veteran. The Suns aren't in a rebuilding mode so this pick will help. Although Rush has the versatility to play the 2 or 3, expect him to find minutes at the 3 spot in this rotation. Don't think this is too high for Rush, because his draft stock is not generally this high right now across the expert mock drafters. Rush has his following in NBA circles. Also, remember.... Shaq has always been successful when he has had a scoring wingman to compliment him. Right now, that wingman is non-existent. Bell is a spot up shooter, Barbosa is a 6th man, Grant Hill is old, Diaw is limited, Giricek...uh, let's not go there. Rush stands a good chance at being that guy, but I'll have my doubts if he can't figure out how to create his own shot. Kerr could hit it right, but it won't surprise me to see him miss with this pick.

D-Unit
05-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Hmmm Kevin Love falling this far?
Good pick up! I didn't notice that. I had a feeling we were leaving someone out. I didn't think the Jordan pick at 3 would leave the big men pool that dry. I am going to replace my Darrell Arthur pick with Kevin Love to Charlotte. Does that mess you up Ghetto?

LonghornsLegend
05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Whoa, what's with that shot at the Kings not making the PO's in 10 years?!

I'd wet myself of happiness if DJ made it to the Kings' pick. We have some scorers already on the team, so having a PG to set them all up would be perfect. It would be sweet if someone could take Artest off our hands..

Mark Cuban certainly will, especially with the Rick Carlise connection :) If not him, Jermaine O'neal will be on his way over...One of the two though.

thetedginnshow
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
A lot of people have Rush to the Suns and I like that one. Not sure what fenikz thinks. I think he's the perfect blend of everything they need, though. For their one, maybe two year plan, Rush fits in much better than most. Whomever they draft at this point (if anyone at all) will be fairly indicative of which way they're heading with this franchise.

yodabear
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Love the Beasley pick. Any other pick would be flat out ********, and for whatever reason STRIP and I are the only people smart enough to know the OJ Mayo rumors are BULL ****!

thebow305
05-28-2008, 01:18 AM
Can't wait to see who Orlando goes with, should be D-Unit makin the call there. Bill Walker would make me very happy, but for some reason I see a CDR in our future, which I wouldn't be upset with, we just don't need another scorer who can't play defense.

fenikz
05-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Not a fan of the rush pick at all, no way is he better than hill, diaw or giricek in his 1st 2 season, should of built towards the future, Greene has so much more potential, right position wrong guy

and as for Kerr having small balls, have you watched him this last year he trades players with no regard, definitely not hesitant to go for a guy he likes

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Not a fan of the rush pick at all, no way is he better than hill, diaw or giricek in his 1st 2 season, should of built towards the future, Greene has so much more potential, right position wrong guy

and as for Kerr having small balls, have you watched him this last year he trades players with no regard, definitely not hesitant to go for a guy he likes
First off, let me just make this clear for fans of any team. I'm not trying to satisfy all of you with my picks. OK, now with that said, I'm thankful that there is some disagreement. It means I'm on the right track. There are always unsatisfied fans when it comes to seeing who their team picks. So I'm ok with your opinion, I just don't think it's correct however.

Grant Hill has been relatively healthy in Phoenix. Reality is that he is at the end of his career and needs to be replaced. Diaw is way overpaid and constantly among trade talks. Giricek is a tool and if you think he's better than Rush, then well... that's your perogative. But I don't think you could convince anyone of it.

As for Kerr, he may not go with Rush in the end, there are several other SF types to choose from.. Budinger, Green, etc. However, Rush is the most ready of the bunch to step in from day 1. If you think Kerr is the type to gamble on upside and wants to go forward in a rebuilding effort, I think you've got another thing coming. You can trade Nash in all your forum mocks to act like the thing to do is rebuild and start from scratch, but if you think that is reality, that would be pretty comedic. You don't trade for Shaq and say let's move forward with the rebuilding process. Of course Kerr is trying to win now! Steve Nash is your best player. Grant Hill is here to try to pony onboard to try to get a cheap ring. Amare Stoudemire is the subject of constant trade rumors. The time for the Suns to win a championship is now and that window is closing smaller each second.

Donte Greene will NEVER end up in Phoenix and you can quote me on it.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-28-2008, 06:11 AM
NP D, yeah I thought you were going Love to Charlotte, but from then on he didn't really fit any of the systems I was drafting for. Anyways,

16) Philadelphia 76ers :: PF Darrell Arthur :: Kansas
The 76ers would be elated to make this pick and get a player of Darrell Arthur's caliber at this point in the draft. Currently I have him projected as a late lottery pick but he could easily slide down if another big man moves up in work outs. The 76ers obviously have a great young nucleus having pushed the Pistons in the first round, so adding a true interior offensive threat like Arthur would make a world's of difference. They are set at the PG spot with Andre Miller and Lou Will. They have enough wings with Iguodala and Thaddeus Young set as starters and good rotational guys like Carney and Willie Green. At Center Dalambert is there, but past that they really do need lots of front line help. Reggie Evans is a good defender and plays with lots of passion, but he just doesn't have very many skills. Jason Smith aka the big softie, who I hated as a prospect last year and prayed the Wizards wouldn't take him will never be a starter. Arthur could step in his rookie year and play immediate minutes, maybe even moving into the starting lineup.

BeerBaron
05-28-2008, 09:13 AM
i was kind of hoping the kevin love fall would make him a 76er....if its gotta be a PF eh? lol

Bearsfan123
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Darrel Arthur's gone mate. 9 to Charlotte

BeerBaron
05-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Darrel Arthur's gone mate. 9 to Charlotte

they switched him out for kevin love there i beleive

RoyHall#1
05-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Hibbert to Cleveland! Batum or CDR would be nice as well.

LonghornsLegend
05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I want to see CDR in cleveland.

McBain
05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
it's annoying that youtube only has videos of every point guard dunking and driving... but you never find nice passes unless it's an alley oop. As a sonics fan i hope they go with the best passer of the big three (rose, bayless and mayo) We already got someone who can score in durant.

thetedginnshow
05-28-2008, 12:50 PM
it's annoying that youtube only has videos of every point guard dunking and driving... but you never find nice passes unless it's an alley oop. As a sonics fan i hope they go with the best passer of the big three (rose, bayless and mayo) We already got someone who can score in durant.

It's really because none of those three (or any PG in this draft, for that matter) are that great of passers, or did so with great frequency. True, highlight vids generally focus on flash, but in all honesty, none of them really passed all too much, and if they did, it was rarely impressive.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM

There aren't too many Kosta Koufos fans out there because the big guy lacks the flash and athleticism that some other big men out there possess. In addition, he didn't take the college game by storm with his arrival to tOSU. However, what he lacks in flash, he more than makes up with substance and high basketball IQ. Koufos is one of the better skilled big man in the draft. If he lands in the lottery, I wouldn't be surprised at all. He'll need to find the right fit for him to excel in the NBA and Toronto is probably the best place for him actually. With Bryan Colangelo's undying love for foreign players, Koufos will certainly not go unnoticed. He would provide an excellent compliment to Bosh in the post. He needs to continue to bulk up, but he's got a sweet game with excellent touch around the basket.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 02:33 PM

BTW, I found it ironic that Rush is going to Phoenix in Chad Ford's new mock today. He might be one of those guys secretly gracing the halls of NFLDC to find the latest D-Unit NBA Mock predictions ;)

ccB
05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
BTW, I found it ironic that Rush is going to Phoenix in Chad Ford's new mock today. He might be one of those guys secretly gracing the halls of NFLDC to find the latest D-Unit NBA Mock predictions ;)
Yeah except for the fact that he posted his mock draft the day before you made the pick. I do not know why you think Greene is not a possibility to PHO, he and Rush both seem like good fits IMO, I wouldn't be surprised to see either there and if you are banking so much on what Chad Ford says, he had Greene to PHO in his first mock. So he also feels its a possibility.

Chucky
05-28-2008, 02:54 PM

There aren't too many Kosta Koufos fans out there because the big guy lacks the flash and athleticism that some other big men out there possess. In addition, he didn't take the college game by storm with his arrival to tOSU. However, what he lacks in flash, he more than makes up with substance and high basketball IQ. Koufos is one of the better skilled big man in the draft. If he lands in the lottery, I wouldn't be surprised at all. He'll need to find the right fit for him to excel in the NBA and Toronto is probably the best place for him actually. With Bryan Colangelo's undying love for foreign players, Koufos will certainly not go unnoticed. He would provide an excellent compliment to Bosh in the post. He needs to continue to bulk up, but he's got a sweet game with excellent touch around the basket.

I highly doubt that the Raptors would pass up on Batum. He is exactly what we need, even though he will take a bit of time to develop.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah except for the fact that he posted his mock draft the day before you made the pick. I do not know why you think Greene is not a possibility to PHO, he and Rush both seem like good fits IMO, I wouldn't be surprised to see either there and if you are banking so much on what Chad Ford says, he had Greene to PHO in his first mock. So he also feels its a possibility.
Oh I guess I look like a fool for saying that Chad Ford is a secret member here then. LMAO. :D Greene is a possibility. Anything is a possibility for that matter. For my mock, I gave the Suns Rush because I don't think Kerr would gamble on upside. Rush is the safer prospect and is more ready to step in from day 1. Rush is the guy who was the leading scorer for the NCAA Championship Kansas Jayhawks. Greene is the guy who came into the league as one of the most talked about HS's in his class and put up a hugely disappointing season. It's pretty clear to me where Kerr would favor, based on the moves he's made since becoming GM.

Kerr is way too conventional. That's why he let D'Antoni go! He doesn't think his style of play is conducive to winning a championship. No other NBA Champion has won with that run n gun style in modern times, so I don't blame him. But it's clearly obvious that Kerr wants to reform this team into a more conventional team. Look at his moves.... He signed Grant Hill... he traded Marion for Shaq... he traded away 2 first round picks (2008, 2010) and Kurt Thomas in exchange for a trade exception and a conditional second-round pick... he traded his own 2007 first rounder (which ended up being Rudy Fernandez) just for cash... look at his two picks last year... He took not 1, but 2 college seniors in Alando Tucker and DJ Strawberry. After all that, if that doesn't say Kerr wants to build a "win now" team and doesn't want to take a risk on kids with unproven upside, then I might as well talk to a wall.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I highly doubt that the Raptors would pass up on Batum. He is exactly what we need, even though he will take a bit of time to develop.
Wow, I guess Rasho Nesterovic is a bigger hit up there than I originally thought. ha ha. I'm not convinced that Bargnani is the future at C. I'd actually laugh at that thought. Bosh has PF locked up. So where does your #1 overall pick play? Small Forward. AND that's gonna be tough considering how well Jamario Moon is now loved in Raptorland. Now you want to add another SF in Batum? Ok, if you say so. ...but it's not like Batum is a higher rated overall prospect than Koufos.

Can I ask why you highly doubt the Raptors would pass on Batum?

SeanTaylorRIP
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
18. Washington Wizards :: PF/C Joey Dorsey :: Memphis
The Wizards are hard to pick for, because you would first need to know the future of both allstars Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison. It's been made clear that either both are back, or both are gone. I am leaning towards both being back unless some team Arenas really wants to go to offers him the max, but he can get the most money from the Wizards, as well as the best system to fit his need of putting up big stats and being a perennial allstar. So with the assumption that Arenas and Jamison would be back, I made this pick. This is I am sure a good 15-20 picks before many predict Dorsey to go, but this is a pick that I can see the Wizards making as it is a necessity to get interior defensive toughness. After watching 3 straight years of LeBron skating into the lane and dunking it down as softies like Brendan Haywood and Darius Songaila let him jump on their backs or shove his nuts into their face. It's time for the Wizards to get a strong, athletic, defender and rebounder to pair with Andray Blatche. While Blatche is a great shot blocker, he is slight and gets pushed around a lot in the paint. What he lacks in toughness though he compensates with length. The past few years they have been drafting on talent and potential, but if Jamison and Arenas were to come back, we are looking at a 3 year window to be a contender in the East, and with that they need an immediate impact and a sure thing. They don't have time to wait on a Hibbert, Hickson, or Jason Thompson to develop, they have enough developmental prospects. Dorsey is a sure thing. He isn't ever going to be a star, or even a starter for that fact, but he immediately brings defense, rebounding, and toughness. He really is the closest thing we have seen to Ben Wallace since he came out. Dorsey struggled in college with asserting himself on offense as well as staying out of foul trouble, but with pretty decent depth on this Wizards roster, he wouldn't have to play more than 10-15 minutes a night, so fouls wouldn't be an issue. He would be given the authority to hit anything that comes in the lane. As far as a quick run down on the Wizards needs, at PG they are fine. Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels are fine, a 2nd round true PG though would be a big draft need, but unless DJ Augustin is there at 18, we don't even consider a PG in the first round. SG is another position we will not draft. Deshawn Stevenson is serviceable, big mouth who doesn't back it up, but he is a good defender and decent shooter. Roger Mason Jr. had the biggest improvement and is one of the league's best kept sharp shooters. Nick Young looks like a budding star and could get increased minutes. At SF we have Caron Butler, as well as Dominic Mcguire who is a defensive stud in training. Then we go to the frontline which is their biggest need. They have plenty of big men with good offensive skills. Songaila, Haywood, Blatche, and Pecherov, as well as the possibility of Vladamir Veremeenko coming over, he too is an offensive centered player, think Linus Kleiza with him. That is why their biggest need is interior defense. They could really use a polished post player, but I don't see one good enough to make an immediate impact. The guy I waffled back and forth with on this pick was Roy Hibbert. He could very well end up being on this team. Aside from being a local guy and fan favorite who played his college career at Verizon and has been to many Wizards games, but he brings size, as well as playing in the Princeton offense that Eddie Jordan implements. He is one of the smartest big men to come around in a while, and is an excellent passer to go along with an ever improving repertoire of offensive moves. With that said though, they are many negatives to him being on the Wizards. First off is that he is still a work in progress, and the Wizards may not have time to wait for him. Biggest drawback on him is that he is a slow mover. The Wizards like to go up and down, and Arenas taking quick shots before Hibbert can even get down the court, does not look like a good fit. That is why Dorsey would be a perfect fit, he runs the floor like a gazelle and would follow up any quick Arenas shots. Again this might be a surprising pick for many, but as a Wizards fan I can tell you that this is one that all the fans and front office personnel will come to appreciate. This isn't the sexiest pick, but it's a blue collar kind of pick. Doesn't hurt that he's kind of a local kid.

Shane P. Hallam
05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm surprised by Koufos that early. I like him, but it'll take him 2-3 years to develop into any type of starter.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
19. Cleveland Cavaliers :: SG Chris Douglas-Roberts :: Memphis

Keeping Lebron happy in Cleveland is priority 1, 2 and 3. What that means is that the organization cannot afford to miss on the decisions they make. And this offseason there are decisions, decisions and more decisions to be careful with. Both Delonte West and Daniel Gibson are RFAs. Their agents are convinced that their players are up for bigger pay days. Gibson might command the full MLE on his own and West may command 3-4 million per year himself. The Cavs are strapped for cash already as is. Varejao may not return after next season, because he wants $$$. Big Z, Big Ben, Joe Smith are all well over 30. The Cavs have a lot to do in order to keep Lebron from bolting. The Michael Redd rumors are nice ear candy, but really... what do the Cavs have to offer for a player of Redd's trade magnitude? There's not much to get the Bucks excited. So the Cavs take CDR here who is the next best option, but don't be surprised if they go with a big man considering how flaky that situation already is.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm surprised by Koufos that early. I like him, but it'll take him 2-3 years to develop into any type of starter.
I agree. ...and I also understand why an Ohio St fan would be surprised considering how underwhelming he performed while there. But remember this, the college game is not suited for big men to excel in. It's a guard's game.

Chucky
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow, I guess Rasho Nesterovic is a bigger hit up there than I originally thought. ha ha. I'm not convinced that Bargnani is the future at C. I'd actually laugh at that thought. Bosh has PF locked up. So where does your #1 overall pick play? Small Forward. AND that's gonna be tough considering how well Jamario Moon is now loved in Raptorland. Now you want to add another SF in Batum? Ok, if you say so. ...but it's not like Batum is a higher rated overall prospect than Koufos.

Can I ask why you highly doubt the Raptors would pass on Batum?

Firstly I think right now the plan is to play Bargnani at C. SO if you really are going for the realistic mock, then picking a C probably doesnt make sense. Jamario Moon has a lot of work to do, before he can solidify himself as the future starter(he already is 27). Also Batum wouldnt neccesarily come over right away, and would probably come in a year or two and replace ANthony Parker. Batum pretty much has everything we want in our SG. Good range, team player. Not to mention he also fits BC's international quota. Do you really think a frontcourt of koufas,bosh, bargs would work? I sure don't.

RoyHall#1
05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Varejao may not return after next season, because he wants $$$. Big Z, Big Ben, Joe Smith are all well over 30.

So why would we pass on a falling Roy Hibbert? He's a higher ranked prospect and fits perfectly in our offense.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-28-2008, 04:19 PM
20. Denver Nuggets :: SG/SF Nicolas Batum :: France
For the Nuggets I think that Nicolas Batum's value here is too great to pass up. I am on record as saying last year that he would have been the #1 taken SG had he stayed in the draft, and I still think he is a top 8 pick talent, but his body is what drops him into the late lottery and possibly further. In terms of talent Batum really has everything you look in a prototypical SG in the NBA. He has one of the nicest shooting strokes I have seen in a while. He can really stroke it from anywhere on the court. He has a midrange game, as well as good long range. I could see him being potentially a Richard Hamilton type shooter with even more range, a guy who will thrive hitting shots off multiple screens. His athleticism also is what separates him from many other European prospects, even that of Gallinari. Batum is long and athletic and runs up and down the floor finishing with power. He has long arms and has the makings of a very good defender. He also has plenty of experience running the point so he could also serve as a backup point if need be. I really think that Batum has the makings of a star in the NBA, the question is if his body will develop. Honestly I don't think that his body is as much of an issue as people make it out to be. He really only needs another 10 good pounds and he will be ready to make an NBA impact, it's not like his game is built around strength. It may hurt him a little with bigger guards posting him up, but so few guards in the NBA do that anyways. At worst he's an Anthony Parker, with allstar potential. I felt that this was a good fit with Denver at this pick, not only because of value, but also because I think that SG is a legitimate need. They have J.R. Smith but he is such an erratic player. He is very inconsistent and really is wild on the court. He can put up points in bunches and would be a good energy scorer off the bench, but he just isn't reliable enough or smart enough to be starting in this league. They really don't even have a SG beyond that. PG is also a need but there aren't any worthy candidates at this point in the draft. A big man could also be a need with the aging Marcus Camby, the unknown factor of Nene's injury, as well as Kenyon Martin never being what he should have, but still I think they will be willing to settle on the front line, and will probably try to make one last push at it, before Iverson and Camby retire.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Firstly I think right now the plan is to play Bargnani at C. SO if you really are going for the realistic mock, then picking a C probably doesnt make sense. Jamario Moon has a lot of work to do, before he can solidify himself as the future starter(he already is 27). Also Batum wouldnt neccesarily come over right away, and would probably come in a year or two and replace ANthony Parker. Batum pretty much has everything we want in our SG. Good range, team player. Not to mention he also fits BC's international quota. Do you really think a frontcourt of koufas,bosh, bargs would work? I sure don't.

Bargnani at Center is going to be the funniest thing ever. It's like Peja trying to play the point.

thebow305
05-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Wow, that is VERY early for Dorsey.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't think so for the Wizards, I'd take an immediate contributer and role guy over a project big who is going to be stuck behind Jamison, Haywood, Blatche, Pecherov, Songaila and crew, and probably will never develop. It's like drafting a Devin Hester, even if it's early because you know he won't ever be a great player overall, what he brings in the little things help a team win. For a team looking for a future starter than no he isn't a good pick, but for a team looking to add toughness off the bench, than he's a good fit.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
So why would we pass on a falling Roy Hibbert? He's a higher ranked prospect and fits perfectly in our offense.
Hibbert is actually a major downgrade from Big Z at 50 years old. LOL.

I could see them going for Speights or Lopez though.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Bargnani at Center is going to be the funniest thing ever. It's like Peja trying to play the point.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! They think that's a great plan. Let them do that! :D

RoyHall#1
05-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Hibbert is actually a major downgrade from Big Z at 50 years old. LOL.

I could see them going for Speights or Lopez though.

The first year, yes, but like you said, he's 50. And it doesn't matter what you think of Hibbert as a prospect, wouldn't you say he's more highly rated than Lopez or Speights? Or CDR?

Chucky
05-28-2008, 05:30 PM

I mean that is what there plan is at the moment, and if you are trying to go by realism,then i would make no sense to give them Koufas. A frontline of Bargs- Bosh- Koufas would not work

scottyboy
05-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Nets are up! I'm smelling a Chase Budinger here...

BrownsTown
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
They wouldn't take Hibbert because he sucks. No, not really but he's not that good offensively, I think. Jason Thompson from Rider is a possibility as he's got a good offensive game. As is Koufos if he falls. I don't think Hibbert is above Speights or CDR as a prospect. Lopez is arguable.

thetedginnshow
05-28-2008, 05:43 PM

But how?! HE ABANDONED US :confused:

PACKmanN
05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

thats why Toronto sports still _ _ _ _(fill it in)

LonghornsLegend
05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
The first year, yes, but like you said, he's 50. And it doesn't matter what you think of Hibbert as a prospect, wouldn't you say he's more highly rated than Lopez or Speights? Or CDR?

I think CDR makes more sense, if he can become a scorer who can create his own shots, while keeping some of those spot up 3 pt shooters they will be fine...I think another perimeter scorer will do Lebron alot of good, the Cavs don't need a Pistons lineup where every guy can score, but they do need another consistent scorer that Hughes never ended up being...They can find bodies to rebound and do the dirty work, but if they can keep the nucleus together CDR might be what the doctor ordered.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I think CDR makes more sense, if he can become a scorer who can create his own shots, while keeping some of those spot up 3 pt shooters they will be fine...I think another perimeter scorer will do Lebron alot of good, the Cavs don't need a Pistons lineup where every guy can score, but they do need another consistent scorer that Hughes never ended up being...They can find bodies to rebound and do the dirty work, but if they can keep the nucleus together CDR might be what the doctor ordered.
I agreed with your post all except for that bolded comment. Between Daniel Gibson, Damon Jones, and Wally Sczcerbiak... the Cavs have enough perimeter scorers. What's good about CDR, is that he is a pure scorer, but not necessarily a pure shooter... what that means is he doesn't need his shot to be falling in order to be of use (which is exactly the problem with Lebron's current supporting cast). When their shots are falling, it's all good, but when their shots aren't falling from the perimeter (and they lack any other reliable way to score), then Lebron gets screwed. CDR can create for himself and can help the Cavs in ways that his current teammates cannot.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I mean that is what there plan is at the moment, and if you are trying to go by realism,then i would make no sense to give them Koufas. A frontline of Bargs- Bosh- Koufas would not work
But a line up of Batum - Bosh - Nesterovic would? Or are you saying Batum - Bosh - Bargs is the plan? I really don't see how that works and Bargs - Bosh - Koufos doesn't. Why doesn't it work? Koufos is a true Center prospect. Bargnani is not a starting NBA center in anyone's imagination. He's a poor man's Hedo Turkoglu.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
If Hibbert does as good as Othella Harrington another former Georgetown center, then I think he'll have met everyone's expectations.

Chucky
05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
But a line up of Batum - Bosh - Nesterovic would? Or are you saying Batum - Bosh - Bargs is the plan? I really don't see how that works and Bargs - Bosh - Koufos doesn't. Why doesn't it work? Koufos is a true Center prospect. Bargnani is not a starting NBA center in anyone's imagination. He's a poor man's Hedo Turkoglu.

Batum would be playing SG. The lineup would look like Calderon-Batum-Moon-Bosh-Bargs. Bargs is not a SF.

scottyboy
05-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Batum would be playing SG. The lineup would look like Calderon-Batum-Moon-Bosh-Bargs. Bargs is not a SF.

he also is in no way a center...

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
GM Rod Thorn said the Nets will stick with their usual tactic of “looking at the best player” available, and that is probably a good thing considering how fluid their current roster situation is. The big names on the roster right now may very well be gone by, on or soon after the draft. So with that in mind, the Nets will try to accumulate talent. Jay-Z is more than just a show face. He's starting to get more involved with the team and as part owner, you know that he'll want to put a product on the floor that is an exciting brand of basketball. The Nets want to add depth. They want to add a shooter. They want to add a player to defend the rim. With that in mind, the New Jersey Nets select:

21. New Jersey Nets :: SF/PF Donte Greene :: Syracuse

Donte Greene is loaded with untapped potential. He gets by right now strictly off athletic ability and confidence. He's not a smart player yet, but if he can accept coaching, he has the chance to be one of the truly special players in this draft.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
he also is in no way a center...
I said "Shhhhhhhhhh!" Let's not give the Raptors any bright ideas. Dwight Howard would love to match himself up against Bargnani in the paint.

scottyboy
05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
hmm while I love Greene's athletic ability and defending, we really struggled with consistancy last year trying to put the ball in the hoop. Granted we started Collins for half the year, but still... I think Chase would be a nice fit here because of his ability to score, create his own shots and shoot the 3's(and J). He'd thrive playing off Harris and with RJ and/or VC. Can't argue with Greene though, with this mock, in a few years we'd have Harris, Greene, Williams, McGee, and RJ/VC/another SG/SF. Not bad, especially if we're gonna run

scottyboy
05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I said "Shhhhhhhhhh!" Let's not give the Raptors any bright ideas. Dwight Howard would love to match himself up against Bargnani in the paint.

oh yes, my bad. Bargs is an excellent center option. Following the Raptors role, the Nets will try and play Nenad Krstic at SF if Richard Jefferson is traded. They feel his speed and athleticisim would be a huge asset there.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 07:55 PM
hmm while I love Greene's athletic ability and defending, we really struggled with consistancy last year trying to put the ball in the hoop. Granted we started Collins for half the year, but still... I think Chase would be a nice fit here because of his ability to score, create his own shots and shoot the 3's(and J). He'd thrive playing off Harris and with RJ and/or VC. Can't argue with Greene though, with this mock, in a few years we'd have Harris, Greene, Williams, McGee, and RJ/VC/another SG/SF. Not bad, especially if we're gonna run
Chase is a defensive liability and that is what the Nets should be concerned with. I also think you would probably be better served if you studied up a little bit more on Donte. If you think Chase can create his own shot, is a better scorer and is a better 3pt shooter, then try comparing the two. Did you know Greene attempted 261 3pt attempts last season? That is way more than Budinger attempted. The confidence Greene has to take that many shots from downtown is amazing and he will only get better in time. Greene also averaged more ppg than Budinger with 1 season less of experience. Add to the fact that Greene is a better rebounder, blocker, and steals guy... and more size and athleticism.... and you have yourself a better player. That's why I gave him to the Nets over Budinger.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-28-2008, 08:01 PM
22. Orlando Magic :: PF/C Marreese Speights :: Florida
With no real good guard prospects left to pick from, I decided to go big with the Magic. The bigs I considered were Speights, Jason Thompson, JJ Hickson, and Robin Lopez. The thing that made me choose Marreese Speights is his impressive mid range game. He has an abosolutely beautiful shot for a big man, and is the perfect player to use in the pick in roll because he can step back and hit the mid range jumper. I actually think that Speights is one of the more talented offensive bigs in this draft. His ability to stretch out the defense in a Udonis Haslem type role would mean a worlds of difference for Dwight Howard meaning a clear lane to post up without always having to worry about double teams coming over. Because if Speights can hurt a team hitting those jumpers, teams will be forced to leave Howard to go one on one. Speights is also a pretty decent athlete who has several post up moves which are really impressive, most notably his hook shot. Although he is just an average defender, but with Dwight Howard behind you that isn't as much as problem. I strongly considered Hickson here, but I think he is too raw and will never develop any sort of range on a jump shot. Robin Lopez would be no more than a bench goon to provide rest minutes for Dwight Howard, while Jason Thompson I considered but he is a couple years from contributing, and I view him as a softy. Speights is the perfect combination of some athleticism to go with some skill.

scottyboy
05-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Chase is a defensive liability and that is what the Nets should be concerned with. I also think you would probably be better served if you studied up a little bit more on Donte. If you think Chase can create his own shot, is a better scorer and is a better 3pt shooter, then try comparing the two. Did you know Greene attempted 261 3pt attempts last season? That is way more than Budinger attempted. The confidence Greene has to take that many shots from downtown is amazing and he will only get better in time. Greene also averaged more ppg than Budinger with 1 season less of experience. Add to the fact that Greene is a better rebounder, blocker, and steals guy... and more size and athleticism.... and you have yourself a better player. That's why I gave him to the Nets over Budinger.

sounds good. I'll admit, I know very little about Greene. I do think Chase is a better shooter, but I'll take your word for it on Greene. I know he would be an exciting player thrown into our offense. He'd replace RJ very nicely from what it seems...

PalmerToCJ
05-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Joe Crawford surely is close to playing his way into a 2nd round spot.

SidneyG
05-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I have heard that the other Lopez might surprise some people with his athletisism . If so he might be a good fit for the Magic providing some good defense with Howard gets a breather and if teamed with Howard the inside game of other teams would be made non-exisistant. The Magic sem to have enough offensive options with Lewis , hedo and Howard . By the way has anyone spotted Reddick ?

PACKmanN
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM

oh nozzz I thought he was the next Dirk Nowitzki? BTW, i agree with D-Unit. Nest is a FA at the end of this season and since he had a great end to the season I can see the Raptors shopping him for something at SF. I would like Hasheem Thabeet over him.

I wouldn't mind Perkins if he isn't signed by the Celtics. We need a big body in the post to guard Howard and players his size.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
sounds good. I'll admit, I know very little about Greene. I do think Chase is a better shooter, but I'll take your word for it on Greene. I know he would be an exciting player thrown into our offense. He'd replace RJ very nicely from what it seems...
Budinger probably has a better midrange shooting game right now, but not by much. If you watch him, Budinger loves driving through the lane more than relying on his midrange game. ...since driving through the lane will be a lot harder in the pros, he'll have to find that confidence in his shot equally as much as Greene will. However, Greene has better size to get to the rim.

D-Unit
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
23. Utah Jazz :: SG/SF Chase Budinger :: Arizona

Now here is a great spot for Budinger to land and the Jazz couldn't be any happier. He fits Jerry Sloan's prototype and fills a potentially big need as a slasher/scorer from the wings. GM Kevin O'Connell is most asuredly going to explore trading forward Andrei Kirilenko, although he will have to find a taker for the three years and nearly $50 million left on Kirilenko’s contract. Ever since Carlos Boozer arrived in Utah and forced AK47 out of the PF slot, Andre has seen his career numbers take a dive as well as his confidence in his game. His frustrations have become paramount at this point and something has to give. Therefore, seeing as this leaves a concern on the wings, the Jazz luckily find a formerly tabbed lottery player fall into their laps at 23. Go figure. The Jazz are always finding steals in the draft and that has helped them maintain their excellence on the court. I love this pick in every way, shape and form for the Jazz. To me, Chase Budinger just "looks" like a Utah Jazz player.

thebow305
05-29-2008, 12:21 AM
22. Orlando Magic :: PF/C Marreese Speights :: Florida
With no real good guard prospects left to pick from, I decided to go big with the Magic. The bigs I considered were Speights, Jason Thompson, JJ Hickson, and Robin Lopez. The thing that made me choose Marreese Speights is his impressive mid range game. He has an abosolutely beautiful shot for a big man, and is the perfect player to use in the pick in roll because he can step back and hit the mid range jumper. I actually think that Speights is one of the more talented offensive bigs in this draft. His ability to stretch out the defense in a Udonis Haslem type role would mean a worlds of difference for Dwight Howard meaning a clear lane to post up without always having to worry about double teams coming over. Because if Speights can hurt a team hitting those jumpers, teams will be forced to leave Howard to go one on one. Speights is also a pretty decent athlete who has several post up moves which are really impressive, most notably his hook shot. Although he is just an average defender, but with Dwight Howard behind you that isn't as much as problem. I strongly considered Hickson here, but I think he is too raw and will never develop any sort of range on a jump shot. Robin Lopez would be no more than a bench goon to provide rest minutes for Dwight Howard, while Jason Thompson I considered but he is a couple years from contributing, and I view him as a softy. Speights is the perfect combination of some athleticism to go with some skill.

I wouldn't be upset if Speights was the pick, especially because of what it could open up for Dwight, like you said. Hickson and Lopez wouldn't be bad picks either. We need a big man next to Dwight to help out and that seems to be priority number one. Speights is a good player, I am just never completely sold on Florida players in basketball or football. I guess We'll see what happens.

I'd like to hear D-Unit's thoughts on the Speights pick for us.

D-Unit
05-29-2008, 01:54 AM
I wouldn't be upset if Speights was the pick, especially because of what it could open up for Dwight, like you said. Hickson and Lopez wouldn't be bad picks either. We need a big man next to Dwight to help out and that seems to be priority number one. Speights is a good player, I am just never completely sold on Florida players in basketball or football. I guess We'll see what happens.

I'd like to hear D-Unit's thoughts on the Speights pick for us.
I wasn't always in Speights corner until I got to researching him in depth. Now Speights has become #1 on my list. I agree with everything Ghetto said. We need to address PF with this pick. Talented PFs don't grow on trees like wingmen do. There were 2 things that really stood out for me in the playoffs. One was the lack of a true floor general to control the tempo of the game and set up teammates. The second one thing that stood out in the playoffs for me was the lack of help around Dwight "in" the paint. Lewis helped spread the floor for Dwight by pulling defenders out forcing them to guard him on the perimeter, but even when Dwight was given the rock in the paint, he had difficulty scoring if he couldn't dunk the ball. What we need is someone to compliment him down low. Someone who has soft touch around the basket, someone who can step out 5-10 feet away from the basket and hit a fade away or jumper. Speights can provide more than just that. He can maneuver around the rim with his soft touch lay ups or thunderous put backs... he can hit hook shot or take it all the way out to 18 feet. He has good form on his shot and really is an underrated prospect right now. I hope it stays that way. His numbers prorated to 40 mpg are staggering. If he returned for another year, he'd be a Top 8 selection. If the Magic are able to somehow land him at 22, it would be a real coup.

That said, I wouldn't be upset if we couldn't get him. Others that interest me a lot are Mario Chalmers, CDR, and McGee.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
This is the ideal pick for the Sonics at this spot. It was down between Thompson and Hickson for me on this pick. After giving the Sonics their future lead guard in Jerryd Bayless, this pick had to be a big. The Sonics are clearly in rebuilding mode so this pick makes so much sense. Despite playing 4 years in college Thompson is still a project and the Sonics have time to wait for him. After drafting defensive bigs albeit busts like Swift, Sene, and Petro, Thompson has so much offfensive potential, that if he can ever harness it, he could be special. His athleticism fits in well with what the Sonics are running.

Shane P. Hallam
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree. ...and I also understand why an Ohio St fan would be surprised considering how underwhelming he performed while there. But remember this, the college game is not suited for big men to excel in. It's a guard's game.

I recognize that, but he still is pretty darn soft as a whole, thus why I don't think he can start right away or anything.

D-Unit
05-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I recognize that, but he still is pretty darn soft as a whole, thus why I don't think he can start right away or anything.
He shouldn't be expected to start right away. 15-20 Min per game as a rookie shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility however.

D-Unit
05-29-2008, 02:55 PM

The Rockets once again failed to make it past the first round of the playoffs, but they are soooooo close. This past season was not a failure, however. The team finally saw the emergence/arrival of 2 players who the team can now rely on as building blocks of the future, Rafer Alston and Luis Scola. Alston as a PG was previously thought of as an experiment, but this year he showed that he can command the position. Not only did he give McGrady a perimeter outlet for making big shots from downtown, but he showed that he can be a good assist man and excellent on the ball defender. His development became a big reason for the team's success this year, but most importantly, TMAC now trusts him and that is big. As for Scola, the team certainly missed Yao at the end of the season, but no one could've benefitted more from it than Luis Scola. He was asked to step up to the plate and he certainly did that nearly averaging 15/10 in the minutes he was given. His emergence lessens the need for them to reach on a big man here in the first round. One bigger need still exists however, and that is another scorer. All too often it the scoring burden was placed on TMAC's shoulders. Bill Walker will come in and bring his fearless demeanor to the court. He is not afraid to attack the basket and will help TMAC shoulder the scoring load with his high flying act. Shane Battier at this point is a role player and he won't step out of the box and provide anything amazing. Houston, We have LIFTOFF!

thebow305
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM

The Rockets once again failed to make it past the first round of the playoffs, but they are soooooo close. This past season was not a failure, however. The team finally saw the emergence/arrival of 2 players who the team can now rely on as building blocks of the future, Rafer Alston and Luis Scola. Alston as a PG was previously thought of as an experiment, but this year he showed that he can command the position. Not only did he give McGrady a perimeter outlet for making big shots from downtown, but he showed that he can be a good assist man and excellent on the ball defender. His development became a big reason for the team's success this year, but most importantly, TMAC now trusts him and that is big. As for Scola, the team certainly missed Yao at the end of the season, but no one could've benefitted more from it than Luis Scola. He was asked to step up to the plate and he certainly did that nearly averaging 15/10 in the minutes he was given. His emergence lessens the need for them to reach on a big man here in the first round. One bigger need still exists however, and that is another scorer. All too often it the scoring burden was placed on TMAC's shoulders. Bill Walker will come in and bring his fearless demeanor to the court. He is not afraid to attack the basket and will help TMAC shoulder the scoring load with his high flying act. Shane Battier at this point is a role player and he won't step out of the box and provide anything amazing. Houston, We have LIFTOFF!

Wait... So Houston now has T-Mac and Sky Walker? That's just not fair!!

LonghornsLegend
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Great mock so far, I'm learning alot about majority of these players just due to the write up, major props for the time and effort thus far...You guys do a good job of selling each player on the pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
26. San Antonio Spurs :: PG Goran Dragic :: Slovenia
Well it looks like the Spurs won't repeat as champs baring some kind of miraculous comeback against the Lakers, and their time slot for winning another one is rapidly closing fast, with not only the aging of Tim Duncan, but also with an ancient bench which will leave huge holes in depth. However that fact will have no impact on their pick, being this late in the first round. In typical San Antonio Spurs fashion, they take an international guy at the end of round 1, who many don't really have pegged as a first rounder, but has first round talent. A guy like Dragic would probably stay in Europe for another year or so, but while getting another post player is key, having drafted Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinimi in previous years I can't see them taking another project big, they will just have to hope for one of them to come over soon, and actually make an impact, Splitter is more likely to be that guy, as Mahinimi is no more than a glorified hustle man, although Splitter isn't exactly the prospect to write home about. After front line help I think that a backup PG behind Tony Parker is the next most important slot to fill. As he gets older, playing at such a fast speed he will need someone to give him longer spells to catch his breath. I have seen Dragic play probably 3 or 4 times and while I didn't necessarily point him out as one of the standout prospects you can see his potential. He has very good size for a PG, not Marco Jaric size, but pretty big, in terms of height at least. He is a pretty fast guard who can dish it out as well as finish inside similar to Parker albeit on a much lower level of competition. His wiry frame though is similar to Shaun Livingston.

nemesis3394
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
great thread very nice write ups guys

D-Unit
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
27. New Orleans Hornets :: G/F Courtney Lee :: Western Kentucky

The Hornets quietly buzzed their way into the playoffs with few believers in them that they'd even get past Dallas. But as soon as the first whistle blew, they all of a sudden turned into killer bees and ravaged their way past the Mavs and nearly beat out the defending champs. After losing Game 7 at home to the Spurs, the Hornets sounded very upbeat about being anxious to return to the playoffs next season. However, if they want to avoid a collapse, like last year's Golden State team that was so upbeat, they'll have to make some upgrades along the wing positions. While depth is a concern, they still have a hole in the starting line up. They are ok in the paint with David West and Tyson Chandler starting. Peja Stojakovic's game is aging faster than he can grow a new beard, but they have high hopes in last year's 13th pick, Julian Wright. Chris Paul will hopefully get locked up in a new deal. So that leaves SG. Mo Peterson and Bonzi Wells are grizzled veterans who are barely getting by and shouldn't be relied on to be full time starters. Unfortunately, sitting at pick 27 doesn't usually leave the cream of the crop waiting for you when your team is on the clock. But Courtney Lee is a guy generating some nice buzz as a late first round guy and the team that might pick up on that buzz is none other than the Hornets themselves. There is already speculation that Lee is going to impress a lot of people in private workouts. Physically, he’s offers prototypical size, is in great shape, moves with excellent fluidity, and has major bounce in his legs. The level of competition he faced in college is a major question mark, but he's a guy who could start at many top basketball programs. The Hornets should swipe him up quick because he has the ability to play PG, SG, and SF and give the team different looks on the court.

princefielder28
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
great pick for new orleans....i am a big fan of lee and if he gets the chance to sit and learn early in his career on a team like the hornets then he could be a stud down the road

SeanTaylorRIP
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
28. Memphis Grizzlies:: F James Gist :: University of Maryland
This is another surprise pick but James Gist is shooting up draft boards, and many are comparing him to a Renaldo Balkman, a surprise 1st rounder based on athleticism and potential. James Gist is an absolute freak of a man, 6-8” with a freakish wing span, he played PF/C in college but has lost some weight to move out to the perimeter. He is a decent shooter but has potential to be a Josh Smith type shot blocker. Being their 2nd pick this pick allows them to take on potential, and it’s better to take him now than let him slip to someone in the early 2nd round. He made massive improvements in his game in college from an athlete to a guy with actual skills, and if he can put things together watch out, he could be dangerous. With his size running the floor with Rudy G, Conley could have 7 apg off alleyoops.

adschofield
05-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Dragic over Chalmers??? Hmm...that's interesting...I just read an article that said Chalmers might sneak into the lotto picks.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Awww, I thought it would be nice and sentimental if Memphis had taken both Lopez brothers. :(

KCJ58
05-30-2008, 01:59 AM
2 Rounds! 2 Rounds! 2 Rounds! 2 Rounds!

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 02:40 AM
2 Rounds! 2 Rounds! 2 Rounds! 2 Rounds!
That's the original plan. ;)

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 03:59 AM
29. Detroit Pistons :: PF Serge Jonas Ibaka :: Congo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMP7pn6VNYQ

Ever been to a magic show where all the little kids are sitting down anxiously surrounding a magnificent magician just to see what he's going to pull out of his hat next? Those little kids are all of us adorning the draft selections that Joe Dumars continues to pump out every year. This year watch out for Serge Ibaka. He was always blessed with pure basketball talent, but recently he has taken his commitment to a new level. He's strengthened his wiry frame and now has impressive muscle tone and definition. He's worked hard on his game and now less and less people are saying he'll need to spend several years overseas before he is ready. I like the fit for Ibaka here. Dumars has a keen eye for picking out players that fit his montra and Ibaka fits that bill. He plays passionately, he plays wearing his emotions on his sleeves, he plays great defense as a tremendous blocker, he works hard and brings his hard hat to work every day. He's also a wonderful compliment to Jason Maxiell at the PF spot. Maxiell brings the house down. He's the bruiser at the position. Adding another player in a similar mold like a DJ White (yes, I have heard the rumors of a promise, but I don't believe it this early in the process) or a Richard Hendrix doesn't add anything new. However, adding a guy like Ibaka who can run the floor like a guard, bring a face up to the basket type of offensive skill set, having nice ball handling skills for a big man and to top that off as a monster blocker gives the Pistons a new dimension rather than duplicating what they already got in Maxiell.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0501/nba_ibaka_200.jpg

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2008, 05:45 AM
30. Boston Celtics :: PG Mario Chalmers :: Kansas
This isn't necessarily a need and Rondo has proven to be pretty good and the future of the franchise but the value here is too great to pass. I think the 20-35 range is where Chalmers should be, not sure why so many are starting to rate him so high as to a late lottery pick. What the Celtics would like about him most is that he plays good D, and it wouldn't be like putting in Eddie House to run the point, if that's what you call it.

adschofield
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
To elaborate, Chalmers is thought to be a late lotto pick by some because Portland or Indiana might reach on him if Westbrook and Augustin don't fall.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
To elaborate, Chalmers is thought to be a late lotto pick by some because Portland or Indiana might reach on him if Westbrook and Augustin don't fall.
I wouldn't buy into that opinion too much. Unless promises have been made with a player (ie. Ty Lawson who pulled out of the Orlando PreDraft Camp with a supposed hip pointer) wink wink... then it'd be really difficult to see Chalmers taken that high. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but knowing Kevin Pritchard, he wouldn't reach on a player... Indiana might, but it's not like PG is their only need. ...and time and time again you're hearing GMs say that they will take the best player available regardless of positional need.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Here we go! Round 2 is now under way!

And we'll begin with the Minnesota Timberwolves. In the first round, the T-Wolves selected C DeAndre Jordan. I know it's a bold prediction, but I think the odds are favored for them to select a big man with their 3rd pick... whether it's Jordan, Lopez or even Love. They are also shopping the pick, so needless to say their situation is fluid. I think a trade is in their best interests, but whether or not they can find a suitable trade partner probably relies on a player who can find their stock rise through the roof leading up to the draft, because as of right now it's a 2 man race for the top spot and the #3 selection is not an envious spot.

31. Minnesota Timberwolves :: PG Tywon Lawson :: North Carolina

This would be an ideal situation for the Wolves to scoop up their PG here. However, I don't think they'll get that lucky in real life. Lawson would be an incredible coup for them here. He would be the glue to hold this puzzle of misfits together. He allows Foye to move to SG where that is his true position and he's a better game manager at this point than both Mayo and Bayless who they considered in Round 1.

Jay
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Is Chalmers a good ball handler? I am guessing he's leaps and bounds over Eddie House by the write up, which is basically what I want. Don't know if having two young PG's is the best idea, but I am all for it. Wouldn't mind Roy Hibbert in that spot either since I think he is still out there...

adschofield
05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Is Chalmers a good ball handler? I am guessing he's leaps and bounds over Eddie House by the write up, which is basically what I want. Don't know if having two young PG's is the best idea, but I am all for it. Wouldn't mind Roy Hibbert in that spot either since I think he is still out there...

Yeah he's a solid ball handler with a nice shot as well as great defensive abilities...However, his passing ability leaves something to be desired.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Sonics Draft Recap so far:
4) PG/SG, Jerryd Bayless, Arizona
24) PF Jason Thompson, Rider
32) C Roy Hibbert, Georgetown
46) Selection coming up
50) Selection coming up
56) Selection coming up

With their 3rd pick of 6 in the draft the Seattle Sonics select Center from Georgetown Roy Hibbert. For a young team which is banking on developing prospects for the future, Roy Hibbert as an extreme value pick here at 32. While the Sonics may want to run up and down with their athletic young lineup there are times when you have to slow it down into a half court game as well as have someone to guard the dominant bigs in the West, and Hibbert can provide them that. He won't be a starter but in situational minutes could prove to extremely effective for them. Hibbert is someone who would have been a top 10 pick last year and could still go mid first round. While mobility is the obvious factor which will limit his success in the NBA, he is extremely skilled, one of the best big man passers as well as intelligent players, and you can't teach 7-2" 278. With some work Hibbert could prove to be a very effective player for the Sonics. This pick also pairs Hibbert again with former college sidekick Jeff Green. Having both of them together could help with the success of both players. In Jerryd Bayless, Jason Thompson, and Roy Hibbert they get 3 talents who will defenitely improve this team, and they have 3 more picks to go in the draft, look for at least one of those picks to be a Euro to stay overseas and develop, as well as one "glue" guy.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 06:32 PM
33. Portland Trailblazers :: PF/C Robin Lopez :: Stanford

The Trailblazers are going to receive a major boost next season as far as player personnel. Greg Oden is returning from injury, Rudy Fernandez is expected to take his skills to the NBA, Joe Alexander is a quality addition and they still have 2 picks left in the 2nd round. With this selection GM Kevin Pritchard will most definitely go with the BPA. However, whether he still has this pick or not will be a major question mark considering how much he likes to trade on draft day. He desperately could've used Lawson who went 2 picks earlier. But in this situation, landing Robin Lopez is not a bad gamble at all. Their depth in the frontcourt is now more than solidified and beyond worry of injury. Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge, Channing Frye, Robin Lopez, Joel Przybilla, Raef LaFrentz and even Travis Outlaw will be fighting for minutes. Lopez will be allowed to develop and grow at his own pace without being forced in too early. And heck, at worst, Pritchard has ammo to trade his bigs to address other needs. I smell another "Pritch Slap" coming soon.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2008, 06:38 PM
34. Minnesota T'wolves :: PF DJ White :: Indiana
With the #3 pick in the draft the Timberwolves select Deandre Jordan, with their 31st pick they took Ty Lawson, both are project type players but especially Jordan, but with this pick they take a ready to contribute guy, who won't ever develop into a star but could be a key role player down the road, similar to them picking up Craig Smith in the 2nd round of the draft. DJ White suffers from what many other PF's do in that he is undersized, being so he will never be a dominant scorer or rebounder but the polish to his game will allow him to be a steady contributer. He should get the most playing time his first year out of all the 3 draft picks so far. He should average around 8 points and 4 boards a game his rookie season.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 07:00 PM
35. Los Angeles Clippers :: PF/C Nathan Jawai :: Australia

Throw a li'l shrimp on the barr-bee!~ I just had to say that. :D

The winds of change are a brewing in Clipper Harbor. While chances are Elton Brand will return for his final year of his contract, it's probably not true that he'll resign the year after that. Brand is nearing the time of his career where he just wants to win. He got his payday and will be looking to join a contender in the summer of 2009. Nathan Jawai is not yet ready for any NBA team to expect a great deal from him yet, but he has excellent basketball skills. I know, I know it seems like every player has "excellent basketball skills". But Jawai really does have both a face to the basket and back to the basket offensive skillset. He is a wide load, but he plays with grace. He has soft hands around the rim and can shoot with confidence out to 18 feet. If there is a poor man's Elton Brand in the draft, Nathan Jawai is that guy. He will have the chance to learn everything he can from Brand in one year until he is given the reigns.

princefielder28
05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Blazers get a steal in Lopez....I don't believe he'll fall past 25 with his defensive intensity and atheltic ability...he does have to work on his offensive game but he has the desire

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2008, 07:39 PM
36. Portland TrailBlazers :: SF Davon Jefferson :: USC
Blazers draft so far:
13) Joe Alexander
33) Robin Lopez

While the Blazers should be looking PG here, as well as a scoring big man, neither can really be had this late in the draft and they do have later picks to address these depth issues, so with that said and the fact that they are a young team, they go BPA in terms of talent and take a risk on Jefferson who has first round talent. They do have quite a few swing men but never bad to have enough athletes on the wing, and really no wing man on the Blazers has emerged as a clear cut starter, so getting another guy who you hope to develop is a good idea at this point in the draft. Jefferson is an extremely talented player coming out of high school, and definitely showed flashes of that in college. He is a decent athlete who really has the base skills to be a very good offensive player. He is again another guy who will either put it all together and be a really good player, or never get things straight and be out of the league quicker than you know. The Blazers should bring him along slowly and treat him like a guy coming straight out of high school. Getting playing experience in the D-league would be very beneficial for him.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Blazers get a steal in Lopez....I don't believe he'll fall past 25 with his defensive intensity and atheltic ability...he does have to work on his offensive game but he has the desire
Where do you like him going in this mock?

LonghornsLegend
05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Seattle would be sitting nice with those picks, Hibbert is a good fit for them.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I am not a fan of the Bucks, their philosophy, their decisions, their players, their coach or even their uniform. I don't like that they've taken another major project to add to their crowded frontcourt. At some point these youngsters need actual game minutes. CV already complained of his minutes because of Yi and now you're adding Anthony Randolph? Way to use the 8th pick of the draft to be a bench player! On the other hand, way too much stock is being placed upon the shoulders of Ramon Sessions. We already know Mo Williams is an overpaid backup point guard who could only start in one city.... Milwaukee. They didn't want to use their first round pick on a PG because they are confident in Sessions. So I'm not going to assume now that a 2nd rounder is going to improve that situation (even though it could, they're not smart enough to make that choice). Their best player, Michael Redd is on the trade block soon after signing a monsterous contract... How am I not surprised? Oh yeah, too bad they passed on CP3 and Deron for Bogut. With the 37th pick of the draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select:

Who will be asked to replace the departed, Michael Redd who is happy to be LeBron James' new sidekick. Foster is one of the best 3 pt shooters in the draft, but he's a one trick pony right now.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2008, 09:14 PM
38. Charlotte Bobcats :: PF/C Devon Hardin :: Cal
Kevin Love was a very good addition at the 9th pick. Love should become what they were hoping Sean May would be. The one thing that the Bobcats are heavy at are the SG and SF positions, so those positions won't even be considered with the likes of Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Matt Carroll, Jared Dudley already there. Since they drafted a PF with their first pick that leaves two positions which they should look at drafting, a PG to backup Raymond Felton and a true Center since Okafor himself is an undersized Center. While Hardin isn't a sexy pick because he won't ever be an offensive threat, he does carry many attributes which could be beneficial to the team. He is a hard worker and will bring the Bobcats interior toughness, with a guy willing to battle down in the paint. I project him to be a much more effective player than Leon Powe in the pro's. This pick makes them better defensively while they wait on guys like Kevin Love and Jarmereo Davidson to develop their offensive skills to match the defensive oriented play of Emeka Okafor.

D-Unit
05-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Heading out for the night. Be back late tomorrow.

D-Unit
05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
39. Chicago Bulls :: PF/C Alexis Ajinca :: France

Watching Alexis Ajinca play would get any fan exicted about adding a guy with his kind of talent. However, NBA scouts and analysts will find plenty of things to knock him on. He lacks a go to move in the post... or any moves in the post for that matter. He will get close to the basket and score, but what he's relying on is his raw talent versus inferior competition. Alexis does have a fairly nice shot. It's not a real jump shot, but he's a 7 footer, there is plenty of elevation away from shot blockers. He hustles really hard, runs like a gazelle and can block shots with the best of them. He needs to continue to build muscle on his frame, but a strong NBA regimen could get him there. But the Bulls don't necessarily need to rush him to the NBA. If they let him season a little while longer, he could really be a force one day in the NBA.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-31-2008, 07:00 PM
40. New Jersey Nets:: SG Sonny Weems :: Arkansas
With their first pick the Nets took Javale Mcgee as a project big man, with their 2nd first rounder they took Donte Green to add another athletic swing man. With their third and final pick they take Weems the athletic 2 guard from Arkansas who was very productive his senior year at Arkansas. Weems is a guy who is full of potential, and it's just a matter of him putting it together. He reminds me some of Rodney Carney, he is a freakish athlete who gets up and down the court and finishes strong, as well as having a decent jump shot. He is a solid defender, and pretty much has an NBA ready body. He fits the Nets system perfectly, and this pick is just further insurance should Vince Carter or Richard Jefferson be moved.

Flyboy
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Bill Walker for the Rockets... I can live with that being that CDR & Rush were both gone.

bernbabybern820
06-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Wait... So Houston now has T-Mac and Sky Walker? That's just not fair!!

Lol i like how you guys barely mention Yao when hes the Rocket's best offensive player.

When hes on the court of course.

We also need a big man very soon. It looks like Mount Mutombo is going to play one more year.

D-Unit
06-02-2008, 02:23 AM

Indiana scored big when Eric Gordon fell to them at pick 11. Seeing as the PG value is really not there at 41, Hendrix brings muscle to a team who's lost some intensity since the departures of Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson. Hendrix will bring added power to the post, but his attitude is a non-issue. He also brings a new dimension to the team. His Carlos Boozer like play will give the Pacers the opportunity to play Jermaine O'Neal at Center more often and with the way O'Neal likes to hit his fade aways and 5-10 foot jumpers, Hendrix has no problems doing the dirty work battling inside for put backs or rebounds. That's the main reason I went with Hendrix over a guy like JJ Hickson who is more confident shooting than Hendrix. Indiana has enough shooters in the paint with Jermaine O'Neal and Troy Murphy. They needed that interior force and Hendrix fits the bill.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
42. Sacramento Kings :: PF Othello Hunter:: Ohio State
In the first round the kings got their answer for a franchise PG hopefully for their sake with the drafting of D.J. Augustin. Augustin should get immediate minutes and could very well be the starter opening game. With this pick the Kings decide to go with a role player. They kings have an incredibly soft front line, and while Hunter doesn't have much skill and isn't really expected to ever be more than an 8th or 9th guy off the bench, he is a tough nosed hard worker, who will be active inside and provide them some toughness.

D-Unit
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
43. Sacramento Kings :: SG J.R. Giddens :: New Mexico

The Kings took a chance on a guy named Gerald Wallace several years ago who ended up being quite a find. Unfortunately, they were not able to reap the real rewards of it. With their 2nd of 2 second round picks the Kings can afford to take a gamble on a guy like Giddens, who's talent is unquestioned... just the motivation, teachablility, and character are of concern. He's a diamond in the rough and if the Kings can make him shine they'll be very happy. Giddens reminds me a lot of a young Gerald Wallace. High flying, defensive specialist who's shot can be inconsistent. Personally, I love his game and would use a second rounder on him if I were a GM.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Love Giddens, anyways:

44. Utah Jazz :: SG Richard Roby :: Colorado

First round the Jazz took Chase Budinger who could serve the role that AK47 currently holds. For this team you want them to compile as many good shooters on the wing as possible to keep the lane clear for Deron Williams penetration as well as freeing things up for Carlos Boozer. They were thinking this exact concept when they were drafting Morris Almond, yet he is thusfar unable to make any true impact. As solid as a player Ronnie Brewer is defensively and attacking the rim, he just can't knock down an open jumper. Roby fills that role and is a terrific shooter. He has been on the draft radar for a while but has fallen off, but he might still be a solid contributer.

D-Unit
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
45. San Antonio Spurs :: G Lester Hudson :: Tennessee Martin

On the outside looking in, the Spurs look O-L-D, OLD! Horry, Finley, Bowen, Barry, Kurt Thomas, Damon Stoudemire... even Duncan and Ginobili are aging quickly. It's getting bad, but the Spurs have some pieces that nobody knows about who could make an impact sooner rather than later. Ian Mahinmi has developed overseas into exactly what they hoped for and he should have an impact next year. Some analysts think he could start in the NBA today with no problems. Tiago Splitter might be another season away, but the Spurs have no plans to rush him either. I think they sent last year's second rounder, Marcus Williams to the D-League, but the SG from Arizona was a very promising college talent. Getting PG Goran Dragic showed that they are still not afraid to go to the foreign pool to grab talent, but one thing they need to acknowledge is their lack of athleticism and you can rarely find that overseas. I want to give the Spurs a super athletic spark plug of a player in Lester Hudson to fill that void. I think if given the chance Hudson can be a great role player for some NBA team.

princefielder28
06-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Hudson at 45 is a great value pick and it fits a bit of a need. I think Hudson's name will start to rise up draft boards as workouts are conducted and he could end up as a late 1st/early 2nd round selection

SeanTaylorRIP
06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
46. Seattle? Supersonics:: F Patrick Ewing Jr. :: Georgetown
We already know the Sonics have a very nice young nucleus with Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Chris Wilcox, etc., but already through this draft they have added:

4. Seattle Sonics: PG/SGJerryd Bayless, Arizona
46. Seattle Sonics: SF/PF: Patrick Ewing Junior:Georgetown

They still have two remaining picks in the second round. This pick is a glue pick and at the middle of round 2, could play a bigger part than they realize. Ewing is one of those high IQ basketball players that doesn't necessarily have a position but can do everything on the court. I compare him to a longer, stronger, more athletic and better defending Luke Walton, but with a worse jump shot. Ewing is a high character guy who will bring all of these young personalities together, so his work in the lockerroom and in practice could be more beneficial to anything he does on court. On the court he is actually a very solid player, at 6-8" with long arms he can rebound and block shots. He has a solid jumper but it is inconsistent, but I'm sure he will be working on it. He has some nifty post moves which include quick hook and flip shots, ala Antawn Jamison. He is a hustler who won't put up big stats but will make an impact no matter how many minutes he gets. Also in him you add to him final 4 teammates, Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert, as all 3 are extremely high character, high IQ guys to match with the raw talents of Kevin Durant, Jason Thompson, and Jerryd Bayless. His father did play a year with the Sonics at the end of his career.
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/kih89s7s.jpg

LonghornsLegend
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Seattle is having the best draft thus far, excellent pick for them, and thats good value for Ewing Jr...He is going to provide so much more to a team outside of scoring, they could use a guy like him.

D-Unit
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM
47. Washington Wizards :: G Jamont Gordon :: Mississippi

With Gilbert Arenas talking about opting out of his contract on June 30th, the Wiz have to feel like they are losing grips with securing his services. If he does indeed move on, that would be a crushing blow and incredibly difficult to replace. However, if Jamont Gordon ends up doing what he is capable of doing, he could help ease the burden. Gordon is another combo guard in the mold of Gildbert Arenas. I like what nbadraft.net has to say about him:

Strengths: Versatile and tremendously strong combo-guard … Fine athlete, possessing a nice wingspan … A southpaw … Stat-sheet filler, able to consistently contribute in 4 categories … Built like a tank, knows how to use his body to create separation on the perimeter and space in the paint … In constant attack mode and is willing to go at help defenders aggressively … Very crafty scorer, utilizes hesitation, crossover and in-and-out dribbles to get his defender off-balance before going by … Has the stereotypical shooting form of a lefty, even though he slings it a bit, it is still smooth … Incorporates a nice step-back jumper, to go along with his reliable midrange game … When he gets hot, he will pull up from anywhere, and his quick release and nice elevation allow him get his shot off against virtually anyone … His body comes into play on the defensive end as well, where he can use his strength and length to legitimately defend PGs, SGs and SFs … He has great anticipation allowing him to track down numerous rebounds; we have seen him regularly average around 7 rebounds, which is a nice attribute for a player at his position

SeanTaylorRIP
06-02-2008, 08:22 PM
48. Phoenix Suns :: SF Will Daniels :: Rhode Island
At this point in the draft it is all about finding guys to fit your system, so despite the fact the Suns already took a wing in Brandon Rush in the first round doesn't make Daniels a bad pick, because time in the NBDL and he could stay on the roster in the future. Daniels is a very long and athletic player who thrives running up and down the court. A pure point would be a good pick here for the Suns, but there isn't really one available of value.

TheGreatEscape
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
6. New York Knicks: Danilo Gallinari: SF, Italy
I considered 3 guys here, Anthony Randolph, OJ Mayo, and Danilo Gallinari. Randolph would be a nice fit because his athleticism but I think he would be eaten up by New York fans. He will take a ton of time to develop and I think the fans would stunt his growth expecting him to contribute his first few years, if he goes to New York he can end up being like fellow LSU top 5 picks Stromile Swift and Tyrus Thomas. Mayo although appearing to be a perfect New York Knicks pick, I just don't like the fit. Another combo guard who only wants to shoot, although his value here is good. In the end I went with the Euro sharpshooter who has been 100x better in Italy than Bargnani ever was, and he figures to be much better in the pros than Andrea. Gallinari has good size and offensive skill, add to that his father played with D'Antoni, and D'Antoni has a hard on for Euro's, and you have the perfect fit.

My problem with this pick is that SF is probably the only position the Knicks actually have a future at. Looking at our roster the only 4 guys that should be on the team in 2 years are Wilson Chandler, Renaldo Balkman (as a bench defender), Nate Robinson (as a spark off the bench) and DLee. I'd rather go with Randolph b/c we knicks fans love DLee and Randolph could come off the bench as his backup til he's ready to push DLee to the bench. Mayo's not a pure enough PG but could fit D'Antoni's O as a secondary handler.

My dream offseason has us sending Crawford and DLee to Memphis for Lowery, Brian Cardinal and Hakim Warrick. That gives us a pass first PG to run our O, an expiring contract and a very athletic undersized and raw 4 to start in our new uptepo scheme. Then Draft who's ever left between Jordan, Randolph or Mayo. Crawford could help the young point guards in memphis by taking pressure off them as a scorer or ball handler and DLee gives them a legit starting 4 who can rebound, defend and provide a fire to boost that young team's work ethic.

We'd have our PG and SF set as well as getting a stud at one of the other positions in the draft. We're going to be terrible next year as we cut salary and adapt to D'Antoni's up tempo scheme. So I'm expecting another high draft pick.

MaxV
06-02-2008, 11:28 PM

Indiana scored big when Eric Gordon fell to them at pick 11. Seeing as the PG value is really not there at 41, Hendrix brings muscle to a team who's lost some intensity since the departures of Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson. Hendrix will bring added power to the post, but his attitude is a non-issue. He also brings a new dimension to the team. His Carlos Boozer like play will give the Pacers the opportunity to play Jermaine O'Neal at Center more often and with the way O'Neal likes to hit his fade aways and 5-10 foot jumpers, Hendrix has no problems doing the dirty work battling inside for put backs or rebounds. That's the main reason I went with Hendrix over a guy like JJ Hickson who is more confident shooting than Hendrix. Indiana has enough shooters in the paint with Jermaine O'Neal and Troy Murphy. They needed that interior force and Hendrix fits the bill.

If this guy is good defensively, then he's definitely a good addition.

NO team was worse on D then Indy last year.

TheGreatEscape
06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
NO team was worse on D then Indy last year.

I'm a Knicks fan and all I've gotta say to this is that it's hogwash, our D resembled a slightly tarded kid trying to figure out a glass door.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 03:03 AM
49. Golden State Warriors :: G/F Gary Forbes :: UMass

The Warriors found it hard to build upon the success of their 2007 season when they bounced Dallas out of the playoffs in the first round. The loss of Jason Richardson affected them in a bigger way than anticipated. Matt Barnes didn't step up after showing promise in the playoffs. Mikael Pietrus was a constant nag. The team could never get over that hump and just barely missed the playoffs. Well, Baron Davis should be back for 2008-09 season. He has 17 million reasons to do so. Russell Westbrook will have a year's worth of tutelage which will be worth a lot. So the PG position is ok. Monta Ellis and Marco Bellineli have the SG spot steady. At PF, Brendan Wright should start to steal some minutes away from Al Harrington. Andris Biedrins is a building block of the organization. At SF, Barnes is an UFA this year and Pietrus is surely gone. Stephen Jackson is the starter, but a replacement needs to be groomed. Forbes can be that understudy. He was the star of the Orlando PreDraft Camp and showed the ability to score in bunches. If there's one thing Nelly wants from his wingmen, it's the ability to light up the scoreboard. Forbes fits right in and in reality is probably gone by this point.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
50. Seattle Sonics:: PF Ryan Anderson:: Cal
Draft So far:
4. Seattle Sonics: PG/SGJerryd Bayless, Arizona
46. Seattle Sonics: SF/PF: Patrick Ewing Junior: Georgetown
50. Seattle Sonics: PF Ryan Anderson: Cal
The Sonics add even more talent to their roster, with still one more pick after this to go. Anderson is a guy who will definitely be sent down to the D-league with all of this young talent they have, but he has a chance to grow and develop into a starter in this league. Anderson could easily develop into a Troy Murphy type big, with that kind of success. Anderson is still young but has been one of the most productive players in college basketball his first two years in college, his freshman year he averaged 16.4 ppg, and 8.1 rpg, shooting an impressive 48% from the field, 38% from the arch, and 81% from the free throw line. This past year he increased his scoring and rebounding to 21.1 ppg, 9.9 rpg, and even more impressive shooting percentages to 50% from the field, 41% from the arc, and 87% from the line. He can score from anywhere on the court, inside and out, ranging all the way out far past the 3 point line. He also can be a solid defender and rebounder. He has a shot to be drafted in the first round if he impresses in workouts. Getting him at the 50th pick would be an incredible value.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I honestly don't think Seattle will keep all those picks, but boy.. what a coup!

BeerBaron
06-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I honestly don't think Seattle will keep all those picks, but boy.. what a coup!

theyve basically managed to draft an impressive team right there, lol

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Boy what a fall from grace for Ellington who was once touted as a potential lottery pick coming out of HS. He very well might end up going back to school (I'm not sure if he signed with an agent yet). But Dallas would be a good fit for him. He fits their prototype as that smooth finesse type SG that we've seen them have success with in the past... Michael Finley, Jerry Stackhouse... Ellington is next in line as Stackhouse starts to fade out of the picture. At this point, Dallas is making their first and only selection of the draft and with Ellington here, they have to consider that good value and a good fit.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
theyve basically managed to draft an impressive team right there, lol

I'd like to take credit for making all of those picks. http://nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Crazy how all of their picks are even numbered

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
52. Miami Heat:: PG Mike Taylor: Idaho Stampede(NBDL)
First round they got Michael Beasley so obviously no pick from here on out will ever get any attention, but Taylor is actually one of the more interesting prospects in terms of his story. Taylor is one of those players who took advantage of the NBDL as a chance to be drafted. Taylor was kicked out of Iowa State but instead of trying to transfer someone he joined the NBDL. Taylor went on to have an extremely productive season in the NBDL averaging 14.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.3 apg. He stepped his game up even more in the playoffs 15 ppg, 5 rpg, 5 apg. There is no better way to prove your worth as a prospect, than going against guys who have already been drafted and making a little money on the side. As a player Taylor is solid, he is more of a scorer than a passer, but he is capable of running the point. Funny thing though is that if he is drafted by a team he will likely be sent down to the NBDL to develop, if he is undrafted he will probably resign in the NBDL, so pretty much regardless he will be playing in the NBDL next year, it's just a matter of if he will have an NBA affiliation.

GB12
06-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I am not a fan of the Bucks, their philosophy, their decisions, their players, their coach or even their uniform. I don't like that they've taken another major project to add to their crowded frontcourt. At some point these youngsters need actual game minutes. CV already complained of his minutes because of Yi and now you're adding Anthony Randolph? Way to use the 8th pick of the draft to be a bench player! On the other hand, way too much stock is being placed upon the shoulders of Ramon Sessions. We already know Mo Williams is an overpaid backup point guard who could only start in one city.... Milwaukee. They didn't want to use their first round pick on a PG because they are confident in Sessions. So I'm not going to assume now that a 2nd rounder is going to improve that situation (even though it could, they're not smart enough to make that choice). Their best player, Michael Redd is on the trade block soon after signing a monsterous contract... How am I not surprised? Oh yeah, too bad they passed on CP3 and Deron for Bogut. With the 37th pick of the draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select:

Who will be asked to replace the departed, Michael Redd who is happy to be LeBron James' new sidekick. Foster is one of the best 3 pt shooters in the draft, but he's a one trick pony right now.
Oh come on now, that's a ridiculous statement. They had just taken TJ Ford with the 8th overall pick a couple years ago and the consensus top two picks were Andrew Bogut and Marvin Williams. Neither of the point guards were ever in the discussion, it was between those two.

Also all your comments about how they are "not smart enough" to make good moves doesn't make sense as it's a completely new head coach and GM.

Saying that Mo Williams could only start in Milwaukee is also off as he was being pursued by other teams in the off season notably the Heat went after him hard.

I have lost interest in the Bucks and the NBA in general a while ago, and wouldn't even call myself a fan anymore, but you are off on a lot of what you're saying about them.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 03:44 PM
53. Utah Jazz :: PF/C Nikola Pekovic :: Montenegro

I don't know much about this guy, but from what nbadraft.net says, it absolutely SCREAMS Jerry Sloan basketball.

- Athletic young big man who uses his body well
- Strong and physical player with good strength and size
- He loves to play with his back to the basket relying on deep position under the basket
- Very explosive and aggressive player who dunks the ball easily
- Plays simple basketball with solid fundamentals
- Understands what is he capable of doing on the court and does not force anything
- Most of his points are around the basket; put-backs, dunks and rebounds but his favorite move is his baby-hook-shot;
- Very good at drawing contact and patient using pump-fakes
- Offensively he is effective using the play pick and roll and gets
- Gets to the free-throw line often
- Runs the floor well for his size and loves to dunk the ball on the fast-break
- Understands how to play without the ball setting screens well and spacing the floor
- Recieves balls well in the post
- On the defensive end his mobility, long arms, size and aggressiveness helps him to be a solid defender

soybean
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
wasn't tj ford always injured though? and milwaukee had michael redd.

i don't remember back that far.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh come on now, that's a ridiculous statement. They had just taken TJ Ford with the 8th overall pick a couple years ago and the consensus top two picks were Andrew Bogut and Marvin Williams. Neither of the point guards were ever in the discussion, it was between those two.

Also all your comments about how they are "not smart enough" to make good moves doesn't make sense as it's a completely new head coach and GM.

Saying that Mo Williams could only start in Milwaukee is also off as he was being pursued by other teams in the off season notably the Heat went after him hard.

I have lost interest in the Bucks and the NBA in general a while ago, and wouldn't even call myself a fan anymore, but you are off on a lot of what you're saying about them.
Yay! Finally, a response to that post! I was waiting for one. I was overly harsh on them, but c'mon... they suck at putting an NBA product on the floor.

Bogut was the right pick for them at the time, but it didn't take long or take much for them to give up on Ford.

I have to take back that Mo Williams would only start on the Bucks. He could have also started for the team with the worst record in the league last year too... yeah, the Heat.

GB12
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Yay! Finally, a response to that post! I was waiting for one. I was overly harsh on them, but c'mon... they suck at putting an NBA product on the floor.

Bogut was the right pick for them at the time, but it didn't take long or take much for them to give up on Ford.

I have to take back that Mo Williams would only start on the Bucks. He could have also started for the team with the worst record in the league last year too... yeah, the Heat.
Yes the team that Larry Harris put together was pitiful, but the comments you made shouldn't apply as he along with Krystkowiak is gone. If he was still the GM that'd be fine to say, but he's not John Hammond is.

Exactly, Bogut was the right pick at the time, so why are you using that as an example of making a bad choice. It'd be great to go back and take Paul with what we know now, but unfortunately you can't do that.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes the team that Larry Harris put together was pitiful, but the comments you made shouldn't apply as he along with Krystkowiak is gone. If he was still the GM that'd be fine to say, but he's not John Hammond is.

Exactly, Bogut was the right pick at the time, so why are you using that as an example of making a bad choice. It'd be great to go back and take Paul with what we know now, but unfortunately you can't do that.
Oh I missed the news that Hammond is the new GM. Well, at least that's a good start to trying to turn things around. He's unproven, but he's seen enough from Dumars to get an idea of what to do.

I guess you probably won't have to worry about Shan Foster as the pick. ;)

My question then.... why is Redd on the block?

GB12
06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh I missed the news that Hammond is the new GM. Well, at least that's a good start to trying to turn things around. He's unproven, but he's seen enough from Dumars to get an idea of what to do.

I guess you probably won't have to worry about Shan Foster as the pick. ;)

My question then.... why is Redd on the block?
I'm not so sure he really is on the trading block. There hasn't been anything at all about him being moved in the Milwaukee newspapers or anything. The only place I've seen him being mentioned as on the block was that Ohio website which was probably just wishful thinking. Other than that it's just fans talking about moving him.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
54. Houston Rockets :: C John Riek:: High School(Eligible for draft, prep school)
First round Rockets got Bill Walker, with this next pick it is all project. Riek is a 7-2 center with a freakish wingspan drawing comparisons to Dikembe Mutumbo. He is a huge project though. Many think he will pull out and sign with UCONN, Florida, or Georgetown. What I think he will do, is that he will enter the draft, if he is taken first round cool, if he isn't taken first round since second round is a non-guaranteed contract, he could still go to college and Houston would own his rights at whatever time he left school. Their is no better place for him to go than Houston with guys like Dikembe and Yao there to help him along.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 07:20 PM
55. Portland Trailblazers :: G Kyle Weaver :: Washington St

I'm going to bank on the Trailblazers finding a way to address PG via trade or FA if one of the top PGs don't fall to them in the first round. But in this mock, I will give them Kyle Weaver who is a great value here. Weaver is not your prototypical PG, but he does have some PG ability. He's another one of many available combo guards in this draft. He has excellent ball handling skills and loves to penetrate, yet he has confident in his shooting range as well. Weaver had his shining college moments, one of which was his spectacular game against USC where he went mano a mano vs OJ Mayo and got the better of him.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
56. Seattle Sonics :: G Sean Singletary :: University of Virginia

4. Seattle Sonics: PG/SG Jerryd Bayless, Arizona
46. Seattle Sonics: SF/PF: Patrick Ewing Junior: Georgetown
50. Seattle Sonics: PF Ryan Anderson: Cal
56. Seattle Sonics: G Sean Singletary: UVA
The Sonics complete a great draft with this final pick. Singletary is a guy who has been the best player in the ACC the past 4 years. If he were 3 inches taller he would get drafted in the top 5, but he isn't so you have to live with it. He is listed generously at 6 feet although he is really a shade under that, height will definitely be a huge factor for him, but he could eventually find a starting job somewhere. He isn't a natural point as he is a score first type guy capable of scoring 20+ any game. He is very capable running the point and is actually a very floor general. Defensively he is tenacious, and just all around game he fights every play. Worst case scenario is an Eddie House type player, best case he could be a 15+5 type guy as a 6th man and occasional starter.

D-Unit
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
57. San Antonio Spurs :: SF Luc Richard Mbah a Moute :: UCLA

The Spurs have already addressed youth at PG. Tony Parker is still in his prime and they spent their first round pick on Goran Dragic. They then added some excellent athleticism (a glaring area of weakness exposed by the Lakers) by adding Lester Hudson to fortify the bench behind Ginobili as Finley fades out of the picture. I'm excited to see if Ian Mahinmi can live up to the hype he's getting. Having some promising youth at the position behind Duncan is becoming critical. No Matt Bonner doesn't qualify as a promising youth prospect. LOL. Mahinmi also allows Duncan to move to C when both hit the floor. Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas are decent fillers, but it seems no matter who is there, the Spurs are ok as long as Duncan is around. The problem is at SF where Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry are all but kaput. Ime Udoka has shown flashes, but more help is needed. Mbah a Moute is a perfect fit, and the Spurs would be lucky to land him here. He is arguably the best defensive specialist in the draft, but his offensive game is so atrocious that teams have shied away from him and his stock has hit rock bottom. Yet, the Spurs can find their Bruce Bowen clone in this Prince of Cameroon.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
58. LA Lakers :: Bambale Osby:: Maryland
If there was one team in the entire league that I would want to take over, it's the Lakers. Not only are they probably the champs this year but they will contend for the title for the next 5 years at least. They have young talent, veteran talent, and superstar talent. With no real needs and also this late in the draft it's hard to address anything, this pick will be a strictly project pick. Osby has very little skill at all, but he has potential as a situational defender in the type of role that Turiaf plays.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2008-03/36580103.jpg

SeanTaylorRIP
06-08-2008, 11:58 AM
2 more picks to go!!!

LonghornsLegend
06-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Boy what a fall from grace for Ellington who was once touted as a potential lottery pick coming out of HS. He very well might end up going back to school (I'm not sure if he signed with an agent yet). But Dallas would be a good fit for him. He fits their prototype as that smooth finesse type SG that we've seen them have success with in the past... Michael Finley, Jerry Stackhouse... Ellington is next in line as Stackhouse starts to fade out of the picture. At this point, Dallas is making their first and only selection of the draft and with Ellington here, they have to consider that good value and a good fit.

Excellent selection, I have seen quite a bit of this guy play and he is what the doctor ordered, he should be able to step right in off the bench and be a spot shooter that Kidd can give some good looks to, and take some pressure off Dirk on those doubles...His style of play fits very well, I didn't see him do too much of the ball handling which isn't a problem now, and his shooting would be a boost...I think we do need some bigs here, so that wouldn't surprise me either, but most of the guys were gone I would take at that point(Ewing Jr. is a guy I'd like to see here) but if Ellington is here I can't argue with what he could bring to the table.