PDA

View Full Version : Chase Daniel?

Splat
05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Just wanted to get some non homer thoughts on Missouri QB Chase Daniel what do you think of his game and can he start in the NFL?

KCJ58
05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I defenitly think he can be a starting QB in the league in 3-4 years

neko4
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I think he could actually be a 1st or 2nd round pick. This isnt the best class of QB's ever.

Would Drew Brees be a fair comparison?

BeerBaron
05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
if he can go back to school and be successful doing some more pro-like things, i think he could raise his stock a bit.

but i really dont see him being a first rounder. 2nd maybe, 3rd more likely.....its hard to overlook what he doesnt have though and thats height.

itll be a hard road for him, thats for sure

Rjspartan
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I think he is a very good college Qb and in my opinion is the best pure pocket passing Qb in the nation with Matthew Stafford. Will not be a first round pick because of his height, but definitely deserves to be. Will eventually be an above average Qb in the NFL, and if things go his way maybe even a pro-bowl Qb one day.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Would Drew Brees be a fair comparison?

I'm not sure he's quite the passer Drew Brees was at Purdue, and Brees had to make some pretty definite changes before he became a successful starter in San Diego. That said, I think that if things fall the right way, his stock could sit around where Brees' did.

I like Daniel, but there's no lack of questions about him. Assuming he goes out and posts another big year, I think showing up and performing well at the Senior Bowl would be the best way for him to keep that stock up.

BeerBaron
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I think he is a very good college Qb and in my opinion is the best pure pocket passing Qb in the nation with Matthew Stafford. Will not be a first round pick because of his height, but definitely deserves to be. Will eventually be an above average Qb in the NFL, and if things go his way maybe even a pro-bowl Qb one day.

so.....hes the best pure pocket passing QB....yet.......

he was the 6th ranked dual threat QB by rivals in 05 and plays in a spread offense?

im not arguing against daniel but that argument doesnt make much sense in the light of where he plays

Rjspartan
05-28-2008, 04:41 PM
so.....hes the best pure pocket passing QB....yet.......

he was the 6th ranked dual threat QB by rivals in 05 and plays in a spread offense?

im not arguing against daniel but that argument doesnt make much sense in the light of where he plays

my bad looking back i see that yeah i'm an idiot, but what i ment to say is he is a good passer, and i look at him more as a passer than a runner

BPhilb
05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I am a lifelong Mizzou fan and Chase Danial is something of a living legend here in central Missouri. I personally think Chase is going to catch a cup of coffee as a 6th round pick or later in the NFL. Even with the spread offense slowly working it's way up to the NFL he will never see the spacing he see's along the lines now and I just don't think his height will allow him to be succesful at the next level. He also ran into a problem late last year of locking in on receivers and trying to force throws when teams were able to pressure us. It might just have been a blimp, but for the most part Mizzou faced little pass rush last year and he seemed jumpy when we faced the better teams. The guy is the ultimate warrior and I hope he finds away in, but in watching his game now I just don't see him making the switch to the next level. Don't be suprised though in a couple of seasons if he isn't one of the better QB's in Canada.

Shane P. Hallam
05-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I think he is a wild card. If he plays out of his mind again, he could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If he is iffy, 6th-undrafted.

Splat
05-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I like the kids heart alot heart goes a long way in football but not as much at QB as in does other spots will have to see how it plays out I wish him well.

jnew76
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I will preface this post by saying that I am a huge Missouri fan and I am proud to have Chase Daniel as a QB for our team and would not trade him for Tim Tebow.

That said - Because there is a question as to whether or not Chase is under 6' tall or not makes his stock extremely fluid in my opinion. In order to garner consideration in the first 3 rounds I think that he needs to measure 6' or taller at the combine.

Mechanically he will have to work a ton on footwork in order to play at the next level. He has played exclusively from the shotgun his entire football life and 3-5-7 step drops from center are completely foreign to him.

His release is good, and quick, but a little low. Combined with his height, I think the low release point is a negative.

He is an above average athlete and better than given credit for. He has some bulk and can take a hit. Has remained injury free for the most part.

I think his accuracy is better than most and he has greatly improved throwing the deep ball and intermediate routes.

He will make some questionable decisions under pressure, and force the ball when he should sometimes run. His bad decisions and pressure seemed to get to him in the 2nd half of the Big XII championship game.

His best attribute may very well be his leadership ability, as he has been the unquestioned leader of the Tigers since his Sophomore year. He is smart and loves to play football. A complete gym rat.

Projection - If 6' tall or taller - Late 2nd-4th / If under 6' - Late 4th - 7th

neko4
05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
http://showtime.arkansasonline.com/e/img/photos/2007/12/18/Heisman_Trophy.JPG

If you can see him, you can tell he is definitly smaller than the 6-3 Brennan

Good, though slightly chubby, build

holt_bruce81
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't know why so many people care about the size of a quarterback. Fans are putting way to much into it. When you watch Chase Daniel play, you see everything you look for in a Quarterback......Leadership, Tough as nails, is mobile enough to make things happen with his feet, very accurate, not the strongest arm but he can make all the throws, knows when to put touch on his passes, can throw the deep ball, knows how to win, and is a team player.

keylime_5
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Two things will knock him down a few rounds: Height (5-11, maybe 5-10) and System. Hard to predict how good a guy will be in a pro style under center offense when he's played in a spread option his whole career. Doesn't have the perfect mechanics or pocket presence either. Body type is like a small linebacker not a QB. Should go somewhere between rounds 2 and 5.

holt_bruce81
05-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Two things will knock him down a few rounds: Height (5-11, maybe 5-10) and System. Hard to predict how good a guy will be in a pro style under center offense when he's played in a spread option his whole career. Doesn't have the perfect mechanics or pocket presence either.

He has above average mechanics and great pocket presence.

keylime_5
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
He has a lot of footwork errors and not a prototypical release. Kinda low and not as quick as it should be to make up for his other flaws. Is a great scrambler and can escape pressure or throw on the run, but when he is forced to stay in the pocket he doesn't step up as well as he can to avoid the blitz. Not bad pocket presence but it's not Tom Brady's or Peyton Manning's or even Derek Anderson's for that matter (he has great pocket presence, not talked about though), nitpicking is the name of the game in QB scouting. Him in that simple offense doesn't help this matter.

keylime_5
05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Height is a big deal though. big big big. Daniel is gonna measure either 5'11'' or 5'10'' and the scouts will hate that, put most of the 6'3''+ guys who have a 2nd-5th round grade higher on their draft boards even if they don't have as good of poise, arm strength, accuracy and all the other things as good as Daniel does. Someone might fall in love with him and snap him in round two thinking Drew Brees, but the height thing is more than likely gonna hurt him to somewhere between rounds 3 and 5 b/c he doesn't have the impeccable Drew Brees touch and accuracy. This a really crappy year for senior QBs though so he might benefit from that.

princefielder28
05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Like some posters have mentioned height is obviously a concern with him, but he does have good pocket presence and can make NFL throws. I can see him be successful down the road but his successful will fall squarely on a very good offensive line, which is usually the case for any QB.

adschofield
05-28-2008, 11:44 PM
He's just way too many things going against him: Size, System, Release, Footwork, and he doesn't compensate those weaknesses with great arm strength or accuracy (both of which grade out as above average). He's probably a late round choice depending on the Combine and workouts

jbeans187
05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
He's just way too many things going against him: Size, System, Release, Footwork, and he doesn't compensate those weaknesses with great arm strength or accuracy (both of which grade out as above average). He's probably a late round choice depending on the Combine and workouts

His accuracy is way above average. I think he is probably the most accurate qb in college. Some of his throws last year where unbelievable, he would throw through the tightest window. His release though a bit low shouldnt be a big concern, there are way worse in the nfl. If he was 4 inches taller he would be considered a top 10 pick.

adschofield
05-29-2008, 12:13 AM
His accuracy is way above average. I think he is probably the most accurate qb in college. Some of his throws last year where unbelievable, he would throw through the tightest window. His release though a bit low shouldnt be a big concern, there are way worse in the nfl. If he was 4 inches taller he would be considered a top 10 pick.

If he was 4 inches taller he would be somewhere in between Colt Brennan and Brian Brohm...hardly a top 10 pick

jbeans187
05-29-2008, 12:37 AM
If he was 4 inches taller he would be somewhere in between Colt Brennan and Brian Brohm...hardly a top 10 pick

If he where 6'3 or 6'4, the only qb this year that could be rated higher than him would be Stafford, even then there would be a debate. Stafford has a bigger arm and better mechanics, Daniel is more mobile, more accurate, and a better leader.

adschofield
05-29-2008, 12:43 AM
If he where 6'3 or 6'4, the only qb this year that could be rated higher than him would be Stafford, even then there would be a debate. Stafford has a bigger arm and better mechanics, Daniel is more mobile, more accurate, and a better leader.

Daniel's mechanics and footwork needing work coupled with the fact that he plays in the spread will/would hurt his draft stock

brat316
05-29-2008, 12:45 AM
i don't know for a guy who eats is own boogers can he be a good qb

holt_bruce81
05-29-2008, 01:28 AM
i don't know for a guy who eats is own boogers can he be a good qb

HAHAHAHA that was hilarious. Really it was, i mean did you come up with that one all by yourself? good god on the video he picks his nose and then he puts his finger to his mouth and it appears he eats the his booger and then you take what you see there and write this remarkable line, which had me rolling on the ground in laughter by the way. Anymore hilarious jokes you wanna throw in this thread? God your so funny!

adschofield
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I found it pretty funny

Cigaro
05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
HAHAHAHA that was hilarious. Really it was, i mean did you come up with that one all by yourself? good god on the video he picks his nose and then he puts his finger to his mouth and it appears he eats the his booger and then you take what you see there and write this remarkable line, which had me rolling on the ground in laughter by the way. Anymore hilarious jokes you wanna throw in this thread? God your so funny!

Dude, chill the **** out.

Pb&j
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I see him as a good college quarterback, but as said before he has been playing in the exact same offense all through high school and college. I am pretty sure it is the exact same system. He has no idea how to play under center, and he is probably under 6' tall. You just can't be under 6' when you have 6'7"+ linemen in front of you and 6'6" pass rushers coming at you.

brat316
05-29-2008, 04:21 PM

good god your a downer

Vikes99ej
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
God, the biases in this thread disgust me. I see Daniel being the Colt Brennan of 2008.

Don Vito
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I think he's gonna be similar to Troy Smith, have a good college career and offer enough skills at the pro level to be looked at as a big time prospect but ultimately fall short. I like him though, he's a good football player who like Smith just really lacks ideal height.

Turtlepower
05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
God, the biases in this thread disgust me. I see Daniel being the Colt Brennan of 2008.

It really is just holt_bruce. Most other Missouri fans in this thread have been pretty realistic. Major props to people who can look objectively at their teams' players.

Vikes99ej
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
It really is just holt_bruce. Most other Missouri fans in this thread have been pretty realistic. Major props to people who can look objectively at their teams' players.

It's not always the fans of the teams who are biased.

Byrd430
05-29-2008, 11:36 PM
I think really there are two hard-to-scout qb prospects in this draft. Tim Tebow is one, Chase is the other.

I don't see Chase being anything like Drew Brees at this point. I love Chase, and I really hope he has a great career... BUT...

His size is a big factor. People who say size don't matter aren't being realistic. As a QB, you have to be able to look over your 6'4-6'7 offensive line and view the whole field. That along with his release, which people have already said is low, is gonna be a problem with long-armed d-lineman swatting down passes.

I like his scrambling ability and he does have an ok pocket presence, but not great. I noticed that he struggled in some big games when teams were able to pressure him. He also plays where everything can seem slowed down a bit and I don't know if it will translate to the quicker world of the NFL.

I don't feel like going from shotgun to the 3-5-7 step drops will be too much of a factor, just a simple matter of instilling footwork. It's not like he has bad footwork, he just has to learn.

That being said: He is a very smart quarterback. He wins. He's capable of getting the ball where it needs to be. He's got good scrambling abilities.

I can see a team taking a chance on him 3-4 round. IF he continues to do this season what he's been doing.

holt_bruce81
05-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Dude, chill the **** out.

No one remembers that Family Guy episode? Stewie making fun of that one girl after the "you are the weakest link...good bye" joke. It was a joke everyone was saying at the time. Same with the Daniel thing, whenever someone starts a Chase Daniel thread someone always has to bring it up.

badgerbacker
05-30-2008, 01:45 AM
I hate Family Guy. Daniel will be a decent QB though. I think the Troy Smith comparison is actually pretty good.

Geo
05-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Hate to be negative, but CFL imo. The guy isn't that great, doesn't have the height, and can't play another position, so the best country in human existence is where he'll go to play pro ball.

I wouldn't even compare him to Brennan in terms of usefulness, it's not close in my mind. Brennan can make it.

BuddyCHRIST
05-30-2008, 07:48 AM
I don't know why so many people care about the size of a quarterback. Fans are putting way to much into it. When you watch Chase Daniel play, you see everything you look for in a Quarterback......Leadership, Tough as nails, is mobile enough to make things happen with his feet, very accurate, not the strongest arm but he can make all the throws, knows when to put touch on his passes, can throw the deep ball, knows how to win, and is a team player.

Because when you look at the starting QB's in the NFL and in history the number of guys who have been successful at 6 foot is very low, there's a reason Drew Brees is the only name who gets brought up in this situation. Not only is it a concern for getting passes knocked down, but you have to be able to see over the lineman and be able to scan the whole field inside the pocket.

holt_bruce81
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM

How am I being a homer? I just listed what Chase Daniel does well. And if you actually watch him play you would see that he does all the things I listed.

AaronGrayisKing
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Just wanted to get some non homer thoughts on Missouri QB Chase Daniel what do you think of his game and can he start in the NFL?

Short answer: No.

Byrd430
06-01-2008, 12:44 AM
I also don't want to totally discredit Daniel for his height.

Several QBs such as Michael Vick, Jeff Blake, Eddie LeBaron, Fran Tarkenton, Drew Brees, etc. etc. have made it despite being 6' or shorter.

rockio42
06-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Hes going to be like Troy Smith, who ironically has a shot to play a lot this year, he has great awareness, arm, and can obviously move around great

Everyone goes to the Oklahoma game to say he can't play in big games, but go to the Kansas game a week or so before that and he was great.

Byrd430
06-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Everyone goes to the Oklahoma game to say he can't play in big games, but go to the Kansas game a week or so before that and he was great.

Yeah I think the Kansas game was bigger in a way than the championship game. And who knows, Oklahoma may be to Daniel what Florida was to Peyton Manning.