PDA

View Full Version : Small School watch list for 2008 season

jnew76
05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Just wanted to start a thread that would detail some of the small schoolers to keep an eye on this coming season.

Here are some I will be keeping an eye on.

1. Dominique Johnson - CB - Jackson St. - 6'2" - 180lbs - If you are looking for the next DRC, Johnson might be that guy. Transfer from Missouri. He has great speed and ball skills. 5 INTs and 14 Pass Break ups as a junior. Track background. SWAC championship game MVP.

2. Ramses Barden - WR - Cal Poly - 6'6" 225lbs with legit 4.5-4.6 speed. He has good leaping ability and body control. 57 Catches 1467 Yards 18TD's 25.7 YPC as a Junior.

3. Rashad Jennings - RB - Liberty - 6'2" - 238lbs - With great speed for his size. Bruising between the tackles runner, with some breakaway ability. Not a lot of wiggle, but instinctive one cut and go runner. 1113yds 15TDs 5.8YPC in only 9 games as a junior. Also has good hands out of the backfield.

4. Jason Williams - OLB - Western Illinois - 6'1" - 235lbs - with reported sub 4.6 speed. Big hitter, with 106 tackles 8 Sacks and 16.5TFL as a Junior.

5. Bernard Scott - RB - Abilene Christian - 5'11" 190lbs - 4.4 speed with incredible numbers last year. 2165 Yards 35 TDs 8.6YPC. He has great vision and plenty of wiggle to go with break away speed.

6. Chris Reisert - QB - Ohio Dominican - 6'2" 210lbs - Holds many of the NAIA passing records for a career and season. Had arguably the best statistical season in the history of college football last year throwing for 5400yds and 54TDs while completing 70% of his passes. Good, not great arm, but great accuracy and leadership.

neko4
05-28-2008, 10:35 PM
6. Chris Reisert - QB - Ohio Dominican - 6'2" 210lbs - Holds many of the NAIA passing records for a career and season. Had arguably the best statistical season in the history of college football last year throwing for 5400yds and 54TDs while completing 70% of his passes. Good, not great arm, but great accuracy and leadership.

Didnt know NAIA players could get drafted

jnew76
05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Didnt know NAIA players could get drafted

They can be drafted. The last one I remember being drafted was Andy Stokes from William Penn by the Patriots. Mr. Irrelevant 2005.

BeerBaron
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
why couldn't they be draft? i think the only restriction on who you can draft is the 3 years out of HS thing...

adrian macpherson was drafted out of the AFL i believe

Yatta!
05-29-2008, 02:08 AM
Take a look at this thread, it's got quite a few small schoolers listed.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22484

Should be a great year for small school corners: Ladarius Webb, Darren Banks and Jackie Bates are all studs.

fischbowl
05-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Ramses Barden and Ladarius Webb will be great.

Players can get drafted out of the NAIA. The last was Stokes, right on that jnew. The first NAIA to get invited to the combine was Shane Longest last year

Naanee11chargers
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Jackie bates is defintley the best small school prospect from hampton
transfer from U of O with lock down skills.

BackwoodsBoy
10-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Tyler Roehl = Very Rich Man's Jacob Hester

STARHEATHER
10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
i like rashad jennings. theres also another back herb donaldson from w illinois who i like as a small school mid late rd pick who could turn out to possibly be a decent back. 5 11 220 4.5-4.6 area. not an early rd stud but could be a decent later rd pickup. the only one i would say i didnt care for was the undersize qb from ohio dominican? ive never even heard of that one. anyway chance of that dude playing any signifigant role as an nfl qb id put at about 1000000-1. are you his friend?

BeerBaron
10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Tyler Roehl = Very Rich Man's Jacob Hester

Hard to be a rich man's version of something that won a national title, lol

btw, thread necromancy ftw!

BackwoodsBoy
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Hard to be a rich man's version of something that won a national title, lol

btw, thread necromancy ftw!

I guess that makes Peyton Manning a poor mans Tee Martin :confused:

BeerBaron
10-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I guess that makes Peyton Manning a poor mans Tee Martin :confused:

....if peyton went to north dakota state yes.

princefielder28
10-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Glad to see Dominique is your #1 guy....right now I have him as the #3 senior CB

SuperKevin
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Part of me still thinks Willie Williams will get a shot in the NFL even though he's at NAIA school Union College

holt_bruce81
10-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Darrell Lloyd CB Northern Iowa

Remember the name, kids going to be a stud.

jnew76
10-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Update on the profiled prospects -

1. Dominique Johnson - 6 games - 2 INT's - 9 Pass Break-ups - Returned an INT for a 60 yard TD. 5 Kickoff returns for 120 yards.

2. Ramses Barden - 4 Games - 28 Rec. 626 Yards 7 TD's - At least 130 yards receiving in every game. Averaging 156 Yards/Game and 22.4 YPC. Amazingly consistent. Clearly out classes the Cal-Poly competition.

3. Rashad Jennings - 5 Games - injured for one game - 128 Carries 725 Yards, 5.7 YPC 8 TDS 12 Rec. 76 Rec. Yds, and 2 RecTD's. Has had at least 100 yards in every game, with 220 yards vs. Youngstown St.

4. Jason Williams - 6 Games - 37 Tackles - 8 TFL's - 3 Forced Fumbles - 4 Sacks - Has forced 10 fumbles in his career. He is a big hitter and is really well built. Has not been as productive as a tackler this year, but has been asked to rush the passer a great deal more this year.

5. Bernard Scott - 116 Carries - 851 yards - 11 TD - 7.3 YPC - 21 Rec. - 422 Yards - 4 TD's - 212 Total YPG without returning kicks or punts is pretty good at any level. Bernard Scott is a special player with NFL ability and is now my top small school prospect.

6. Chris Reisert - 6 Games - 185/271 Comp/Att - 68.2% - 1918 Yds - 17/4 TD/INT - 319.7 YPG - Reisert is not on the same pace as last year, but has played extremely well non the less.

***ADDITION TO THE LIST -

Billy Malone - 6'3" - 230lb - QB - SR - Abiline Christian - Mis-diagnosed with a heart ailment when he was a Freshman at Tulane, Malone was told he could not play football any more. After 2 years away from football, and a series of tests that confirmed the mis-diagnosis he enrolled at Abilene Christian and has shown the GREAT arm that had him highly rated out of Texas in High school. Now 25, time is not on his side, but he is extremely talented.

6 Games - 103/150 Comp/Att - 21TD/5Int - 68.7% - 1913 Yds - 318.8 YPG

Bruce Feldman has written about Malone in his most recent blog that gave me some of the information above.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3645452&name=feldman_bruce

WinslowEdwards19
10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I have a friend that is a Freshman QB at Ohio Dominican, and he isn't nearly as impressed with this guy as you are.

dabears10
10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
These guys probably won't get drafted but should throw in some words about them.
Jonathon St. Pierre-C- Illinois State: He is a 2 year starter here after transferring from the U. Freshman Year roommates with Devin Hester. Great push off the line, has the body more of a guard than center but does well there, drafted last Year by a CFL team, is Canadian. Real Smart graduated from Miami U before transferring and getting another Bachelors degree and a Master's in Economics from ISU. Preseason 3rd Team All-American at FCS level. Already 25. Is from Quebec.

Tom Nelson-S- Illinois State: 4-Year Starter at Safety. Named Freshman of the Year of the Gateway(now MVC) and then back to back Gateway 1st teams. Decent returner probably will not translate to the NFL. Good speed and feel for the ball. Hits hard and makes plays. Really good Special teamer which likely be his role at the next level.

Solomon
10-16-2008, 02:09 PM
RB

Branden Ore, West Libert State - The former Hokie standout has been very impressive at a lower level of play. 160 carries for 996 yards and 13 scores so far this season. He definitly has the skill set to be drafted.

Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois. Good size, 5-11, 225 lbs. Rushed for over 1400 yards as a soph and junior. This year he's on pace for over 1700 rushing yards and 26 TDs. Rushed for 157 yards and a TD against Arkansas in the season opener.

WR

Johnny Knox, Abilene Christian. Scott's teammate is no slouch either. Over 500 receivng yards and 6 TDs through 6 games this season. He's 6-1, 190 and has plenty of speed.

TE

Marquez Branson, Central Arkansas. 6-3 248 lb beast is having a great year. On pace for 858 receiving yards and 10 TDs. Rumoured 4.6 speed. Might project as more of an H-Back or FB in the NFL but teams will take a look at him either way.

OT

Joel Bell, Furman. Raw but you can't teach his size and athleticism, 6-7, 320 lb monster with 5.2 speed. Started off as the waterboy on his HS team and has since become a secod team All-SoCon in 2006 and a first team All-SoCon in 2007. Hasn't even begun to tap into his potential yet.

Cornelius Lewis, Tennesse State. Signed with Flordia State out of HS before transferring. Talented player really blossomd in 2007. Probably projects better inside at the next level and certainly has the size for that (6-4, 316).

DE

Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois. 6-5, 270 lb end has 6.5 TFL and 3 sacks this season and is on pace for a career year. Was athletic enough to be a kick returner in high school.

DT

Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman. Anytime a 6-4, 328 lb tackle can rack up 14 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 4 FF and an int as Lee Hill did in 2007 scouts will take notice. Great character.

John Faletoese, UC Davis. 6-3, 292 lb tackle is disruptive and can get into the backfield and make plays. 11 TFL as a freshman. And was a first team all conference as a freshman and sophomore before an injury plagued junior season. Back on track this year. UC Davis always seems to have a pro prospect or two.

LB

Lee Robinson, Alcorn State. 6-2, 243 lb big hitter with sub 4.7 speed. 82 tackes, 14 TFL and 3.5 sacks in 10 games in 2007. Had 41 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 ints through the first 4 games of this season.

edgrenade
10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Cyrus Mulitalo, MLB, Sacramento State. He is my homer pick. He is constantly making plays game after game. His only draw backs are his height and speed.

Larry121283
11-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Not sure if this is the proper thread for this...but anyway...

I'm on the Rashad Jennings bandwagon. Love what I have seen on him in the highlight reels. I love how he cuts to green and excels. He is a big guy who knows how to use his hands to shed blockers. Definitely has some speed...not 100% sure its NFL speed until I see him on the field with peers, but I can't help but think this kid could be a better, faster Tim Hightower in the NFL. Love his size and his nimbleness at it. Kind of reminds me a little bit like Steven Jackson, if I am making a comparison. Probably not a star, but definitely worthy of being on the roster and could definite surprise.

At this point, without sitting down and evaluating every aspect, he kind of looks like the second best senior running back behind Ringer. I don't want to make too big of a leap, but after looking through a list, I can't see why it'd be outlandish to say.

gator3guy
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Not sure if this is the proper thread for this...but anyway...

I'm on the Rashad Jennings bandwagon. Love what I have seen on him in the highlight reels. I love how he cuts to green and excels. He is a big guy who knows how to use his hands to shed blockers. Definitely has some speed...not 100% sure its NFL speed until I see him on the field with peers, but I can't help but think this kid could be a better, faster Tim Hightower in the NFL. Love his size and his nimbleness at it. Kind of reminds me a little bit like Steven Jackson, if I am making a comparison. Probably not a star, but definitely worthy of being on the roster and could definite surprise.

At this point, without sitting down and evaluating every aspect, he kind of looks like the second best senior running back behind Ringer. I don't want to make too big of a leap, but after looking through a list, I can't see why it'd be outlandish to say.

He was very highly touted going into his freshman year a PITT. Like most small school prospects he'll have to have a hell of a combine to be a first day pick. Very intriguing none the less.

Smokey Joe
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
They can be drafted. The last one I remember being drafted was Andy Stokes from William Penn by the Patriots. Mr. Irrelevant 2005.
who was the last D-III player drafted?

MidwayMonster31
11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Pierre Garcon from Mount Union.
Edit: To answer Smokey's question.

holt_bruce81
11-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Darrell Lloyd CB Northern Iowa

Brent
11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I am keeping an eye on Cameron Higgins of Weber State. He's only a sophmore but he's lighting it up there.

Cole Bergquist of Montana is another good one; he's a senior.

colts_fan8818
11-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Mike Reilly of Central Washington. He is accurate, looks like he has decent arm strength and is fairly mobile.

BamaFalcon59
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Brandon Ore has played well and gotten his act together for West Liberty. Apparently about 20 teams have sent scouts to the school.

Darren Banks, Ore's cousin and a cornerback for West Liberty, had 28 interceptions between his freshman and junior years. He had 13 interceptions as a junior.

He had 6 this year up till about a month ago. So he may have about 6-12 now.

He is small (5'9" 180) and not that fast (4.6), but man those stats are very impressive. Maybe a canidate for a zone scheme. Could be next years Dwight Lowery.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 04:20 PM
im still liking backs rashad jennings from liberty and herb donaldson of w. illinois

Mr. Stiller
11-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Some guys (Going to bed soon, maybe analysis later)..

JaRon Harris, WR, South Dakota State
Dominique Edison, WR, Stephen F. Austin
Brian Mandeville, TE, Northeastern
Joel Bell, OT, Furman
Sam Allen, OT, Grand Valley State
Cecil Newton, C/G, Tennessee State
Robert Talley, DE/DT, Delaware
Lawrence Sidbury Jr., DE/OLB, Richmond
Brandon Swain, DE/OLB, West Texas A&M
Louis Ellis, NT, Shaw

My favorite "No-Name" Prospect has to be Dan Skuta of GVSU... 3-4 OLB

Cigaro
12-20-2008, 01:37 PM
QB Greg Micheli from Mount Union(DIII) is an interesting prospect that I noticed from ESPN's highlights of the DIII Championship Game. Won Gagliardi Trophy as top Division III player. He seems quite accurate from what I saw. He's also a fairly decent athlete, putting up

He's put up some great stats;

2005: 5-5 (100%), 65 yards
2006: 95-128 (74.2%), 1,156 yards, 11 touchdowns, 1 interception
2007: 238-327 (72.8%), 3,515 yards, 34 touchdowns, 7 interceptions
2008: 228-301 (75.7%), 3,481 yards, 34 touchdowns, 2 interceptions
Career: 566-761 (74.4%), 8,217 yards, 79 touchdowns, 10 interceptions

Obviously wont get drafted, but could be an interesting player if invited to a camp.

Hokie's#1
12-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Offense

QB - Cole Bergquist - Montana
QB - Jason Boltus - Hartwick
QB - Rhett Bomar - Sam Houston State
QB - Nathan Brown - Central Arkansas
QB - Liam Coen - Massachusetts
QB - Rodney Landers - James Madison
QB - Billy Malone - Abilene Christian
QB - Terry Mayo - Texas A&M Commerce
QB - Greg Micheli - Mount Union
QB - Zach Miller - Nebraska Omaha
QB - Keith Null - West Texas A&M
QB - Chris Pizzotti - Harvard
QB - Dominic Randolph - Holy Cross
QB - Bobby Reid - Texas Southern
QB - Mike Reilly - Central Washington
QB - Cris Reisert - Ohio Dominican
QB - Mark Spivey - Prairie View A&M

FB - Tyler Roehl - North Dakota State

RB - Herb Donaldson - Western Illinois
RB - Obozua Ehikioya - Marist
RB - Mike Hamilton - Georgia Southern
RB - Rashad Jennings - Liberty
RB - Nate Kmic - Mount Union
RB - Corey Lewis - Northern Iowa
RB - Jay Lucas - Southeastern Louisiana
RB - Mike McLeod - Yale
RB - Branden Ore - West Liberty State
RB - JT Rogan - San Diego
RB - Bernard Scott - Abilene Christian
RB - Jordan Scott - Colgate
RB - Jerry Seymour - Glenville State
RB - Javarris Williams - Tennessee State
RB - Josh Vaughan - Richmond

WR - Ramses Barden - Cal Poly
WR - Justin Brown - Hampton
WR - Terrance Butler - Presbyterian
WR - TJ Courman - Appalachian State
WR - Domonique Edison - Stephen F. Austin
WR - Ed Gant - North Alabama
WR - Jeremy Gilchrist - Hampton
WR - JaRon Harris - South Dakota State
WR - Johnny Knox - Abilene Christian
WR - Quinten Lawrence - McNeese State
WR - Charly Martin - West Texas A&M
WR - John Matthews - San Diego
WR - Steve Ogden - Valparaiso
WR - Julius Pruitt - Ouachita Baptist
WR - Brandon Rice - California Davis
WR - Kevin Teel - Hampton
WR - Eddie Thompson - Idaho State
WR - Royce Winford - Augsburg

TE - Robbie Agnone - Delaware
TE - Marquez Branson - Central Arkansas
TE - Jared Bronson - Central Washington
TE - Derrick Bush - Youngstown State
TE - Ryan Chesla - Northern Colorado
TE - Colin Cloherty - Brown
TE - Ian Jorgensen - Massachusetts
TE - Brian Mandeville - Northeastern
TE - Jeremiah Wurzbacher - North Dakota State

OT - Sam Allen - Grand Valley State
OT - Joel Bell - Furman
OT - Adrian Brown - Delaware State
OT - Paul Carpenter - Weber State
OT - Ben Coblyn - Massachusetts
OT - Demario Deese - Gardner-Webb
OT - Ryan Delrosal - Dixie State
OT - Nick Hennessy - Colgate
OT - Cornelius Lewis - Tennessee State
OT - Raphael Nguti - Albany
OT - Brent Russum - Montana
OT - Tim Silver - Richmond

OG - Roger Allen - Missouri Western
OG - Jonathan Compas - California Davis
OG - Dennis Conley - Hampton
OG - William Giles - Chattanooga
OG - Dakarai Grimsley - Morgan State
OG - Tim Henderson - Northwestern State
OG - Eman Naghavi - McNeese State
OG - Tom Pestock - Northwest Missouri State
OG - JD Quinn - Montana
OG - Louis West - Henderson State

C - Tommy Crowley - West Texas A&M
C - Colin Dow - Montana
C - Raymond Harrison - South Carolina State
C - Scott Lemn - James Madison
C - Cecil Newton - Tennessee State
C - Brad Samsa - Youngstown State
C - Jonathan St. Pierre - Illinois State

Defense

DE - Jovan Belcher - Maine
DE - Darius Davis - Wayne State
DE - Louis Ellis - Shaw
DE - Mark Huygens - Northern Iowa
DE - Mario Lane - Morehouse
DE - Sherman Logan - Richmond
DE - Dexter Manley II - West Texas A&M
DE - Greg Miller - Villanova
DE - Greg Peach - Eastern Washington
DE - Lawrence Sidbury - Richmond
DE - Brandon Swain - West Texas A&M
DE - Ronald Talley - Delaware
DE - Pierre Walters - Eastern Illinois

DT - John Faletoese - California Davis
DT - Sammie Lee Hill - Stillman
DT - Aaron Jones - Eastern Kentucky
DT - Dennis Marsh - Norfolk State
DT - Mychal Savage - Youngstown State
DT - Bryce Scanlon - Weber State
DT - Jake Visser - Ferris State

OLB - Bobby Abare - Yale
OLB - Pierre Banks - Appalachian State
OLB - Jared Brock - West Texas A&M
OLB - Mario E. Brown - Gardner-Webb
OLB - Bobby Daly - Montana State
OLB - Ramon Humber - North Dakota State
OLB - Lee Robinson - Alcorn State
OLB - Dan Skuta - Grand Valley State
OLB - Jason Williams - Western Illinois

ILB - Endor Cooper - Howard
ILB - Zach East - Prairie View A&M
ILB - Cyrus Mulitalo - Sacramento State
ILB - Andy Schantz - Portland State
ILB - Nathan Williams - Murray State

CB - Darren Banks - West Liberty State
CB - Jackie Bates - Hampton
CB - Don Carey - Norfolk State
CB - DJ Clark - Idaho State
CB - Al Donaldson - Alabama A&M
CB - Kevin Gerard - Northern Arizona
CB - David Hyland - Morehead State
CB - Pete Ittersagen - Wheaton
CB - Domonique Johnson - Jackson State
CB - Darrell Lloyd - Northern Iowa
CB - Evan McCollough - James Madison
CB - Sean Smalls - Massachusetts
CB - Ladarius Webb - Nicholls State

S - Colt Anderson - Montana
S - Dre'Mail Hardin - Stillman
S - Marcus Haywood - James Madison
S - Sam Pope - Hampton
S - Andy Romans - Lafayette
S - Thomas Twitty - Furman

K - Robbie Dehaze - Northern Arizona
K - Taylor Rowan - Western Illinois
K - Tom Schneider - North Alabama

P - There are none

oregonbucfan
12-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I know Bryce Scanlon DT Weber State... worked with him last winter

Any chance he gets drafted? He wants to go to the NFL, transfered to Weber from Utah, big kid

Also Jackie Bates whats his odds

Sniper
12-21-2008, 01:38 PM
This thread needs some major Mike Washington love.

Senior Year: 64 catches, 1,200 yards, 18.8 YPC, 15 TD
Junior Year: 49 catches, 1,160 yards, 23.7 YPC, 12 TD
Sophomore Year: 55 catches, 1,170 yards, 21.3 ypc 16 TD
Freshman Year: 47 catches, 1,185 yards, 25.2 ypc, 15 TD

58 receiving touchdowns. Yeah, he's aight...Had a catch in every single game in his career, setting a conference record for most consecutive games with a catch.

Hokie's#1
12-21-2008, 02:46 PM
This thread needs some major Mike Washington love.

Senior Year: 64 catches, 1,200 yards, 18.8 YPC, 15 TD
Junior Year: 49 catches, 1,160 yards, 23.7 YPC, 12 TD
Sophomore Year: 55 catches, 1,170 yards, 21.3 ypc 16 TD
Freshman Year: 47 catches, 1,185 yards, 25.2 ypc, 15 TD

58 receiving touchdowns. Yeah, he's aight...Had a catch in every single game in his career, setting a conference record for most consecutive games with a catch.

Who is Mike Washington?

Sniper
12-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Who is Mike Washington?

Ouch.....

Wide receiver for D2 West Chester. He was a finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy (D2 Heisman) and was the only WR who was a finalist. 5'11", 190 pounds, and a straight up beast.