PDA

View Full Version : WR class of 09?

LonghornsLegend
05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Looking for some insight of this class of seniors and juniors(who could declare), haven't got to do as much homework about some guys so a few that I am curious about are:

Derrick Williams - So much potential coming out of HS, will it be the same when he declares?

The LSU WR's: Byrd and Lafell - Who is the go to guy, who has more pro potential out of the two? I really like Lafell's size and his athleticism, being a Houston, Tx guy I wouldn't mind Dallas looking his way.

Heyward-Bey - Outside of seeing him being placed high in mocks, I don't know much about him thus far, does he really look to be leading this bunch?

Any other insight on some guys who could possibly be 1st rounders and to keep an eye out for this upcoming season would help, need to know which crop of guys to keep my eye on outside of the obvious ones I've seen.

underscore
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Williams is a senior this year. I think with a great season, he's 3rd round at best.

Sniper
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I kin haz Michael Crabtree? kthxbai

Hwoarang
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
The LSU WR's: Byrd and Lafell - Who is the go to guy, who has more pro potential out of the two? I really like Lafell's size and his athleticism, being a Houston, Tx guy I wouldn't mind Dallas looking his way.
LaFell has the measurables, but Byrd is the big play guy and the go to guy (see Auburn). Both are first round talents. Byrd is the field stretcher, speed guy. LaFell is more of a possession WR but has better than decent speed.

Don Vito
05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
I am not a big fan of Brandon LaFell, he drops some passes and looks like he plays scared a lot. He has the talent, though. Byrd impressed me a lot when I saw him play last year, he looks like a great receiver who can catch the ball and make plays, he has good size and speed as well.

The quality of this class will depend a lot on if guys like Maclin, Crabtree, Heyward-Bey, and Harvin come out. Clemson's Aaron Kelly, Ohio State's Brian Robiskie, South Carolina's Kenny McKinley, and Rutgers' Kenny Britt are a few guys to watch for.

Sniper
05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Watch LaFell pwn some Mississippi State player..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j38PbECO6d0

saintsfan912
05-29-2008, 06:41 PM

I loved that play! Some douche bags tend to think it was a dirty helmet to helmet hit though.

LonghornsLegend
05-29-2008, 06:42 PM

I was watching that game as it happened, almost felt bad for that kid lol...In slow motion it looked like a car accident.

Hwoarang
05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I am not a big fan of Brandon LaFell, he drops some passes and looks like he plays scared a lot. He has the talent, though. Byrd impressed me a lot when I saw him play last year, he looks like a great receiver who can catch the ball and make plays, he has good size and speed as well.

He does, but Bowe did as well. Maybe he needs Lasik surgery, who knows. But when he's focused he can do damage against good DB's.

7 catches for 125 yards against Va Tech.
(http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=176392)

princefielder28
05-29-2008, 08:36 PM
know Jaison Williams!

SenorGato
05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Crabtree FTW.

Byrd430
05-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I think everybody can agree that Crabtree is the best of the bunch right now, but since your curious....

Darrius Heyward-Bay: This guy has all the measurables to be a top wide receiver. Kinda hard to see his production in college though because he doesn't have a decent qb who can get him the ball. So a lot of what this guy is praised for is gonna go off his size at about 6'2, 205 and his 4.3 (maybe even a high 4.2) forty. Would love to see him with a better qb (and/or team) to see what kind of damage he can really do, but I don't see that happening.

Derrick Williams: Don't really see him being hyped up all that much in this draft. I see him having a similar problem as Heyward-Bay in that he's got good size and speed, but no quarterback. What will help him is that he can contribute as a kick returner. Still, I see this guy climbing to the second round, but more realistically being taken somewhere in the early third.

LSU - I like Demetrius Byrd better as a pro player, but I think they should both have comparable stats playing next to each other. I think a big part that could see their draft stocks rise is seeing which one can take up the slack that Early Doucet is leaving behind. I see both of them being 3-4 rounders.

I love Jeremy Maclin in this class, but I really don't see him outdoing Heyward-Bay or Crabtree. He's extremely fast and could be the fastest one coming out. His production last year was incredible, I just want to see if he can do it again.

I also love Percy Harvin. As a Florida fan, I've seen his big play potential ALL the time and he's a threat to score. He's a little undersized though and plays something like Steve Smith. But he won't even be alcohol-age by the time the draft rolls around.

Also, I'm keeping my eye on USC's Vidal Hazelton. I expect big things from him this year. He's got good size at 6'3, 205, but he's a bit slower than the top receivers. Still with a breakout season, I think Hazelton could be a wild card.

tEk
05-30-2008, 02:31 AM
a few USC guys to watch out for; Patrick Turner, Vidal Hazelton, David Ausberry,

Paranoidmoonduck
05-30-2008, 03:37 AM
It might not be too much of a stretch to say that the two most promising wideouts are the redshirt sophomore's: Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin.

I like Darrius Heyward-Bey's speed, but I don't think I would take him before either of those two young wideouts unless he displays a lot more production. He is playing in a less wideout friendly situation than the two, but he's been pretty inconsistent throughout his college career.

A guy who intrigues me is Aaron Kelly of Clemson. He's skinny, but he's got great size and hands, and he put up very strong numbers last year. A bit Sidney Rice-esque without the character concerns (as far as I am aware).

Of course, there are a lot of names that could have big years and fly into the first day because of their physical ability. The class has no obvious top name (especially if the third year sophomores stay in school), so we just have to wait and see who goes out and posts a big year.

litlharsh
05-30-2008, 04:07 AM
I love love love Kenny Mckinley

BuddyCHRIST
05-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Crabtree obviously looks really good and I think he's an elite player. Don't be fooled by the system.

And as much as it pains me to say it, Harvin is a stud as well. He's a little short but he's built very well and is very strong, he's a terror after the catch and has warp speed.

LonghornsLegend
05-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I know about Crabtree, he is obviously the front runner now as it looks thats why I was trying to get a bead on some of the other guys...

Maclin is very intriguing as he stuck out when I saw him, very elusize and lots of potential left, I will be following him closely.

Hwoarang
05-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Harvin is not a stud yet. He can't stay healthy. And that's why he isn't a stud. Let him stay healthy 1 entire year and he has every right to be a stud.

SuperKevin
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
My favorite senior WR for 2009 is Jarrett Dillard out of Rice. The guy is an excellent route runner with great hands. My only knock on him is that I believe he has only average athleticism.

keylime_5
05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I like Percy Harvin a lot, my top WR for 2009. However he has a lot of durability concerns and is basically somewhere higher than Desean Jackson and below Ted Ginn Jr. as a prospect for me. Could be better if he stays healthy for all of 2008 and has a big year. Ironically I don't like Jeremy Maclin as much even though he is similar to Harvin. As a WR I don't think he'll cut it in the NFL so much, he'll be a good return man and a decent slot receiver if you give him a lot of time to learn a pro offense that actually has complex routes and he figures out that you have to read defenses to be a good pro WR usually. He's a lot more of an all purpose RB who is small and plays WR in that spread to me than Harvin, Jackson, and Ginn are. Maclin had some injury problems early on too.

brat316
05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Sleeper pick Bruce Francis Temple University.

brat316
05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Harvin = faster Peter Warrick. Also skinner

Paranoidmoonduck
05-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I like Percy Harvin a lot, my top WR for 2009. However he has a lot of durability concerns and is basically somewhere higher than Desean Jackson and below Ted Ginn Jr. as a prospect for me. Could be better if he stays healthy for all of 2008 and has a big year. Ironically I don't like Jeremy Maclin as much even though he is similar to Harvin. As a WR I don't think he'll cut it in the NFL so much, he'll be a good return man and a decent slot receiver if you give him a lot of time to learn a pro offense that actually has complex routes and he figures out that you have to read defenses to be a good pro WR usually. He's a lot more of an all purpose RB who is small and plays WR in that spread to me than Harvin, Jackson, and Ginn are. Maclin had some injury problems early on too.

Just to play the devil's advocate, the stats don't agree with you. Maclin was a significantly more productive receiver last season and Harvin carried the ball more. Maclin also has a size advantage.

dbro
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
LaFell, Crabtree, Byrd, and Jeremy Maclin will all be drafted in the first round

jbeans187
05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
My favorite senior WR for 2009 is Jarrett Dillard out of Rice. The guy is an excellent route runner with great hands. My only knock on him is that I believe he has only average athleticism.

He is really skinny too.

Cigaro
05-30-2008, 05:19 PM
A guy who intrigues me is Aaron Kelly of Clemson. He's skinny, but he's got great size and hands, and he put up very strong numbers last year. A bit Sidney Rice-esque without the character concerns (as far as I am aware).

Aaron Kelly is nothing like Sidney Rice. The only thing they have in common is size. Kelly is a very reliable receiver, but not known for making the big, spectacular catches that made Rice so talked about.

Also, what character concerns did Sidney Rice have?

CashmoneyDrew
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
If the Titans tank this year and have a chance at Crabtree and pass on him I will probably kill myself. Unless one of our WR's breaks out and becomes a reliable number one. not sure I see that happening though.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Aaron Kelly is nothing like Sidney Rice. The only thing they have in common is size. Kelly is a very reliable receiver, but not known for making the big, spectacular catches that made Rice so talked about.

Also, what character concerns did Sidney Rice have?

I was mostly referring to the way they both play run and play the ball. Rice tends to make plays on poorly thrown balls more often, but part of that is the way he positions himself while the ball is in the air.

Rice had some pretty significant questions regarding his attitude and work ethic coming into the 2007 draft.

princefielder28
05-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Jordy Nelson of 2009

keylime_5
05-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Just to play the devil's advocate, the stats don't agree with you. Maclin was a significantly more productive receiver last season and Harvin carried the ball more. Maclin also has a size advantage.

Maclin had big numbers in that offense. He isn't built as good as Ginn or Harvin who are more solid, and his receiver skills aren't what you think they would be for a guy who had 1000 yards in the air. Percy seems to be more of a fit at WR at the pro level even though his role in Florida's spread was a lot like Maclin's. Harvin has more of a WR pedigree, Maclin is more of an all purpose guy who will struggle at his position more in the NFL, which is why Harvin is being called a potential top 15 pick despite his injuries and Maclin a late first.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Maclin had big numbers in that offense. He isn't built as good as Ginn or Harvin who are more solid, and his receiver skills aren't what you think they would be for a guy who had 1000 yards in the air. Percy seems to be more of a fit at WR at the pro level even though his role in Florida's spread was a lot like Maclin's. Harvin has more of a WR pedigree, Maclin is more of an all purpose guy who will struggle at his position more in the NFL, which is why Harvin is being called a potential top 15 pick despite his injuries and Maclin a late first.

Quite honestly, I haven't heard anyone I'd trust name stock for either of the players at this point, so if you have some source, I'd love to see it. Maclin (http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1121/ncf_i_maclin_300.jpg) and Harvin (http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/percyharvin_olemiss.jpg) are built very similar, but at this point in time Maclin listed as the taller and heavier player, so I have to take that as relative truth right now.

I'm really not sure I see this "pedigree" for Harvin over Maclin, when Maclin was far more dangerous last year working against cornerbacks and seemed to have more feel for the ball while it was in the air. If you can convince me otherwise, I'm seriously all ears, but I have a hard time reconciling what you're saying and what I've seen out of the two players.

Cigaro
05-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Rice had some pretty significant questions regarding his attitude and work ethic coming into the 2007 draft.

Thats news to me. He never got in trouble with any of the coaches at SC.

scottyboy
05-30-2008, 08:04 PM
http://scarletknights.com/football/images/2006/su/britt.jpg

Britt and Underwood

I can haz bonerz now?

yes, I haz bonerz now

keylime_5
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Quite honestly, I haven't heard anyone I'd trust name stock for either of the players at this point, so if you have some source, I'd love to see it. Maclin (http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1121/ncf_i_maclin_300.jpg) and Harvin (http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/percyharvin_olemiss.jpg) are built very similar, but at this point in time Maclin listed as the taller and heavier player, so I have to take that as relative truth right now.

I'm really not sure I see this "pedigree" for Harvin over Maclin, when Maclin was far more dangerous last year working against cornerbacks and seemed to have more feel for the ball while it was in the air. If you can convince me otherwise, I'm seriously all ears, but I have a hard time reconciling what you're saying and what I've seen out of the two players.

The same can be said about Harvey, but I don't feel Maclin will make it as an NFL receiver. Just my opinion but I do like Harvey's potential to be a Joey Galloway, Ted Ginn like player. I think Maclin will be more like Devin Hester except not an all time great return man, or maybe Dennis Northcutt with less route running ability.

Staubach12
05-30-2008, 10:07 PM
On the subject of Lafell, I wouldn't view him as a first round talent as of now. He had some nasty drops and just bad stretches last year. However, he's definitely big, physical and blocks like most LSU WRs, very well. I have more faith in Byrd to produce on the NFL level. However, you should keep your eye on both of them, they're legitimate NFL talents.

Crabtree is obviously an elite talent, he's going to be one hell of a player on the next level. I would say the same thing about Harvey, though I know many of you are leery about him as a pro talent.

LonghornsLegend
05-30-2008, 10:16 PM
On the subject of Lafell, I wouldn't view him as a first round talent as of now. He had some nasty drops and just bad stretches last year. However, he's definitely big, physical and blocks like most LSU WRs, very well. I have more faith in Byrd to produce on the NFL level. However, you should keep your eye on both of them, they're legitimate NFL talents.

Crabtree is obviously an elite talent, he's going to be one hell of a player on the next level. I would say the same thing about Harvey, though I know many of you are leery about him as a pro talent.

That's why I've been focusing on Lafell to us for a little while now, being that he looks like a fringe 1st rounder, around where we will be picking anyway, so barring a trade up that looks to be what we would be looking at in terms of drafting a guy...He does have to have a complete season this year to put everything together though.

I've really liked what I saw from Byrd, I just want to see if one guy distinguishes him self from the other as the go to guy this year, but it looks like another situation where both guys could possibly end up in the 1st with good years, just two different types of WR's...I just love the size/athleticism blend Lafell provides.

skinzzfan25
05-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Jordy Nelson of 2009

Might as well start with this:

Dillardzzzzzzzzzzz

Hines
05-31-2008, 12:34 AM
I really like Greg Carr. If he had decent quarterback play, I think he would be the best reciever in the class.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-31-2008, 08:06 AM
Michael Crabtree>All.

PACKmanN
05-31-2008, 09:08 AM
IMO, I see Jaison Williams and Greg Carr being the top wide outs taken in the draft.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Greg Carr is good, but is not first rounder. He's more in the range of low 2nd-3rd depending on how he produces. He may go lower than that even. The only thing he's good at right now are jump balls. His route running is just average speed is average but size and leaping ability are very good. He drops too many easy balls though and disappears in games(maybe because of the QB's).

CashmoneyDrew
05-31-2008, 11:53 AM
IMO, I see Jaison Williams and Greg Carr being the top wide outs taken in the draft.

The only way that would have a chance of happening is if none of the underclassmen declared and I really don't see that happening.

LonghornsLegend
05-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Crabtree is a lock to declare, and I think it would be in DHB's best interest to declare to since the underclassmen would proabably lead the way, its not like these guys coming out early will hurt their stock, they will be leading the pack.

CashmoneyDrew
05-31-2008, 12:19 PM
What do you guys think about the Turners? Patrick Turner and Oderick Turner.

Staubach12
05-31-2008, 02:09 PM
That's why I've been focusing on Lafell to us for a little while now, being that he looks like a fringe 1st rounder, around where we will be picking anyway, so barring a trade up that looks to be what we would be looking at in terms of drafting a guy...He does have to have a complete season this year to put everything together though.

I've really liked what I saw from Byrd, I just want to see if one guy distinguishes him self from the other as the go to guy this year, but it looks like another situation where both guys could possibly end up in the 1st with good years, just two different types of WR's...I just love the size/athleticism blend Lafell provides.

Very true on all accounts. It's not a perfect comparison, but I see some of Bowe in Lafell.

Byrd430
06-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Greg Carr is a red zone target with 6'6 frame, but still very raw in terms of being a complete receiver. He'll have to show a lot more, even with a mediocre quarterback, to move up the boards.

I also think it's worth mentioning Brian Robiskie since nobody has brought his name up. He's not as fast as any of the top names, but I think he should definitely get some consideration.

scar988
06-17-2008, 08:08 PM
It might not be too much of a stretch to say that the two most promising wideouts are the redshirt sophomore's: Michael Crabtree and Jeremy Maclin.

I like Darrius Heyward-Bey's speed, but I don't think I would take him before either of those two young wideouts unless he displays a lot more production. He is playing in a less wideout friendly situation than the two, but he's been pretty inconsistent throughout his college career.

Of course, there are a lot of names that could have big years and fly into the first day because of their physical ability. The class has no obvious top name (especially if the third year sophomores stay in school), so we just have to wait and see who goes out and posts a big year.lol I'm friends with Aaron, he hangs out with all guys who will be CEO's one day. he's a big dork. (as am I). He's like the Tiger Woods of Wide Receivers. He's squeaky clean. that said, he is closer to a Clarence Moore being a tall skinny TD threat. but he doesn't fight for the ball like he needs to.

Hwoarang
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
http://scarletknights.com/football/images/2006/su/britt.jpg

Britt and Underwood

I can haz bonerz now?

yes, I haz bonerz now

Bigger bonerz omgz.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/06og8dy48h4Sl/340x.jpg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/78204337.jpg

BaLLiN
06-17-2008, 09:21 PM
umm no, rutgers can only give peoples boners, LSU recievers are scrubs in comparison.

Pittsburghs_finest
06-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Oderick Turner will not come out early because if he did he would be picked apart and not drafted. He has a lot of work to do as a player and I don't think he will even think about leaving early.

Bruce Banner
06-19-2008, 12:44 AM
There are the usual big names to look for this year but I usually look beyond the first when trying to find the players that will produce at the Wide Receiver position in the NFL. I tend to start looking about midway through the NCAA season before I begin predicting.

When I look through the big names this year one consistent variable strikes me.....SPEED. If the youngins decide to skip school and join the stardust rodeo early this class suddenly becomes even more explosive at Wide Receiver. Kids like Crabtree kinda scare me though. I realize that the system stigma shouldn't apply to most receivers but I have seen to many spread receivers fail to translate in the NFL. Cough*Florida*Cough
This post probably seems somewhat convoluted but that would be the product of me being f***ed up on amphetamines.

Jonny
06-19-2008, 07:24 AM
NFL Draft Scout FINALLY updated their rankings, moving Kenny Britt up to the #3 receiver in the 2010 class up from the mid 20s. Hopefully people will realize what a ridiculous talent he is now, with the unfortunate side effect that he's likely going to declare early after the year.

D-Rod
06-19-2008, 07:42 AM
The system failures simply mean than one should not look at the statistics of someone like Crabtree - it does not prevent people from looking at his size, hands, (decent) speed, route-running, explosion, and COD: all of which make him leaps and bounds better than most previous spread failures.

By the way, if you're on amphetamines, I can assure you that they can be put to better use than sitting at a computer screen...

CJSchneider
06-19-2008, 07:49 AM
I think Brandon LaFell - LSU is going to really suprise people. If he can post a 4.3 - 4.4 in the 40, look out.

TheIncredibleDraftDude
06-19-2008, 07:58 AM
I havent really seen Michael Crabtree play. But my friend told me he was at the Calvin Johnson level of prospects. Yes he stats are a product of a passhappy system, but he is top 2 of sure fire prospects this decade. A blue chip player @ 6'3 230 pounds @ 4.2 - 4.3 40 yard dash he is as good as calvin, and has better production. I am 100 % sure that he will booooooom! He could even get some playingtime as TE or HB.

scottyboy
06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
I havent really seen Michael Crabtree play. But my friend told me he was at the Calvin Johnson level of prospects. Yes he stats are a product of a passhappy system, but he is top 2 of sure fire prospects this decade. A blue chip player @ 6'3 230 pounds @ 4.2 - 4.3 40 yard dash he is as good as calvin, and has better production. I am 100 % sure that he will booooooom! He could even get some playingtime as TE or HB.

I think if Juice Williams switched there, he'd be fine. He'z got teh wheels to burn by everyone. And since he used to be a QB, he''d know what routes the QB likes the WR to run. BUT, the downside would be he may be a little tired when he goes in as a situational pass rusher...

SuperKevin
06-19-2008, 09:06 AM

Um Michael Crabtree is more likely to run in the low 4.5 range than anywhere close to 4.3 at this point

ATLDirtyBirds
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM

While I agree Crabtree is a stud he's much more in the 4.45-4.55 range.

vidae
06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm extremely high on Jeremy Maclin. It might be because I get to see every game he plays in being so close, but I think this kid is going to be something special.

Him and Will Franklin would make a great combo again in the NFL imo.

TheGreatEscape
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
There are the usual big names to look for this year but I usually look beyond the first when trying to find the players that will produce at the Wide Receiver position in the NFL. I tend to start looking about midway through the NCAA season before I begin predicting.

When I look through the big names this year one consistent variable strikes me.....SPEED. If the youngins decide to skip school and join the stardust rodeo early this class suddenly becomes even more explosive at Wide Receiver. Kids like Crabtree kinda scare me though. I realize that the system stigma shouldn't apply to most receivers but I have seen to many spread receivers fail to translate in the NFL. Cough*Florida*Cough
This post probably seems somewhat convoluted but that would be the product of me being f***ed up on amphetamines.

Crabtree is just a different caliber athlete in that system, yes it helps but his natural ability is what makes him dominant.

Byrd430
06-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Can't help but think that while Crabtree's size, speed, hands, route running, etc. etc. is all solid, that he won't be the first receiver taken or that he won't be a top 5-10 pick.

TheGreatEscape
06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Can't help but think that while Crabtree's size, speed, hands, route running, etc. etc. is all solid, that he won't be the first receiver taken or that he won't be a top 5-10 pick.

Who do you honestly think will be a better prospect?

eaglesfan_45
06-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Is this "friend" the same one who you discuss QBs as situational pass-rusher with?

neko4
06-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Haha

4.2-4.3?
He MIGHT run a low 4.3

I think he's more like 210

I dont he plays TE or HB

regoob2
06-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Haha

4.2-4.3?
He MIGHT run a low 4.3

I think he's more like 210

I dont he plays TE or HBI doubt he runs in the 4.3s. I just dont see the speed.

josh07039
06-28-2008, 10:40 PM
If Kenny Britt produces well this year and runs as well as many think he should, the sky is the limit. He has size, speed, leaping ability and good hands.
As for the other rutgers reciever, Tiquan Underwood, if he runs as fast as the coaches claim he can(low 4.3s) and he does well this year while showing that he has fullly gotten over his dropping problems, I could see him being a good slot in the league and a 3rd or 4th rounder.

06-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Crabtree is a tremendous prospect in his own right except he does not possess the same straight line speed for a big receiver as a Calvin Johnson who is just a once-in-a-decade prospect at his position. Saying this the low-to-mid 4.4's should justify his top 10 status.

Bruce Banner
06-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Crabtree = 6'2 / 203, 4.49. At this moment, in my estimation.
The dude is listed at 208 on the teams site.

eaglesfan_45
06-29-2008, 03:42 AM
My Guess will be 6-3 211 lbs and a 4.45 40. for Micheal Crabtree's numbers

also, will Jeremy Maclin and Percy Harvin fall like DeSean Jackson?

LonghornsLegend
06-29-2008, 04:01 AM
Of course Crabtree is good, but let's not throw guys name in the same circle as Calvin Johnson just yet...He is at least 25 lbs heavier and still ran sub 4.4, and the rest of his numbers were off the charts...I don't think Crabtree will run a 4.3, but his shuttle will be excellent and could be better then CJ's.

DragonFireKai
06-29-2008, 06:08 PM
also, will Jeremy Maclin and Percy Harvin fall like DeSean Jackson?

Harvin won't fall as far, but he will fall due to size concerns. Maclin won't fall if he keeps up his production and times well. At 6'1" 200, he's got enough size that he won't fall because of it. People aren't drooling over it, but it's adequate.

Solomon
06-29-2008, 07:57 PM
A nice article I read the other day:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/32813-percy-harvin-michael-crabtree-and-jeremy-maclin-2008s-biletnikoff-battle

It's from the context of college production but also nicely describes the strengths and weaknesses of the big 3 (Harvin, Maclin and Crabtree).

I'm also a huge Kenny Britt fan and feel that his length, speed and ability to get after the ball will make him a better prospect than many ppl are expecting at the moment. I see him as a first rounder.

As for Harvin and Maclin taking a Desean Jackson like drop on draft day I think that the main reason for Jackson's drop was his awful size, even if he was 15 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller he'd be considered small.

Maclin is listed at 31 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller.

Harvin is listed at only 2 inches taller and 9 lbs heavier however there was an Urban Meyer quote from earlier in the spring which stated that Harvin, in a bid to become more resilient to injury, has added almost 20 lbs of muscle to his frame, if that's true he should be able to avoid a D Jax type fall.

holt_bruce81
06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
A nice article I read the other day:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/32813-percy-harvin-michael-crabtree-and-jeremy-maclin-2008s-biletnikoff-battle

It's from the context of college production but also nicely describes the strengths and weaknesses of the big 3 (Harvin, Maclin and Crabtree).

I'm also a huge Kenny Britt fan and feel that his length, speed and ability to get after the ball will make him a better prospect than many ppl are expecting at the moment. I see him as a first rounder.

As for Harvin and Maclin taking a Desean Jackson like drop on draft day I think that the main reason for Jackson's drop was his awful size, even if he was 15 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller he'd be considered small.

Maclin is listed at 31 lbs heavier and 4 inches taller.

Harvin is listed at only 2 inches taller and 9 lbs heavier however there was an Urban Meyer quote from earlier in the spring which stated that Harvin, in a bid to become more resilient to injury, has added almost 20 lbs of muscle to his frame, if that's true he should be able to avoid a D Jax type fall.

That was a good read, thanks for posting!

SenorGato
06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Crabtree reminds me of Andre Johnson personally...the system knock is a reach once you see the guy play...thats legit NFL WR skills.

Jonny
06-30-2008, 06:35 AM
If Kenny Britt produces well this year and runs as well as many think he should, the sky is the limit. He has size, speed, leaping ability and good hands.
As for the other rutgers reciever, Tiquan Underwood, if he runs as fast as the coaches claim he can(low 4.3s) and he does well this year while showing that he has fullly gotten over his dropping problems, I could see him being a good slot in the league and a 3rd or 4th rounder.

No way is Underwood a 4.3 guy. Well, who knows what he does in practices, but he doesn't have that kind of speed on the field.

Underwood's problem is that he doesn't have the biggest frame. The first half of the year, he was playing like Housh on the Bengals. Then the hits started adding up, and he started becoming scared of contact. He was playing like Todd Pinkston who used to be on the Eagles.

The problem is that most people who don't follow the Big East haven't seen him yet. As far as I've seen, when people actually watch his film, they universally agree that he's a first round talent.

josh07039
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Im not saying Underwood is a 4.3 guy on the field, but he's fast and he breaks more tackles than a guy his size normally does. I dont recall Underwood pulling pinkston's at the end, I just think Britt overtook him as the favorite target. As far as draft stock is concerned, Underwood's timed speed is what really matters as demonstrated by where this years wrs fell. Little tidbit, apparently Underwood has smoked tim brown in races a few times in practice.

Jonny
06-30-2008, 02:30 PM
By pulling a Pinkston, I mean he drops balls solely because he's scared of getting hit.

m2cx149
07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
This is going to be a better draft than last years.

eaglesfan_45
07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Who is the best route runner in the '09 WR class?

JLBH
07-15-2008, 02:46 AM
As an LSU fan, I take take Byrd over LaFell 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Byrd is a guy who stretches the field for you very well, and he made countless clutch grabs this past year. LaFell probably has more pro-potential, but I would say Byrd is the safer bet. Lafell gives CB's fits; he'll find a way to get open on most any play. Problem with him is that his hands are iffy at best. Like others have said, he plays timid. I don't know whether it's a concentration or a confidence problem, but it's been an issue with him. One game he looks all-american, the next he looks like a 2-star scrub recruit. His inconsistency reminds me of former LSU WR Devery Henderson. If he can develop some consistency this year, he'll be a great prospect. Until then, I wouldn't go near him.

eaglesfan_45
07-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson are the EXACT same player. I was watching some highlights and I feel like I'm watching the same player just in a different uniform.

DHB for some reason makes me think of Randy Moss.

Jeremy Maclin makes me think of Joey Galloway.

yo123
07-18-2008, 02:34 AM
By pulling a Pinkston, I mean he drops balls solely because he's scared of getting hit.

In fairness, I would be scared too if I weighed 75 pounds.

Don Vito
07-18-2008, 03:02 PM
As an Ole Miss fan I think Rebels WR Mike Wallace could be a guy who moves up the boards. He isn't huge at about 6-0 190 but he is a burner with solid hands and a knack for the big play. He should be one of our top targets this year in a pretty decent receiving corps.

Hines
07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I am HOPEING that Derrick Willaims finally lives up to expectations and breaks out moving him up on the boards. I think he will work out great and catch on somewhere come combine/draft time, but I hope he finishes his career on a high note.

Bearsfan123
07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
in 10 its all gonna be about "Rejus" Benn. Hes gonna put god to shame ^_~

DeathbyStat
07-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Williams is a senior this year. I think with a great season, he's 3rd round at best.

I couldn't agree more

MidwayMonster31
07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Since Anthony Morelli was inconsistent, Williams' stock fell off. Williams will need to establish himself as a deep-threat to get picked earlier, but a lot of that depends on who is throwing him the ball and how often they pass the ball.

mqtirishfan
07-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson are the EXACT same player. I was watching some highlights and I feel like I'm watching the same player just in a different uniform.

I think Percy has more potential as an offensive weapon than DeSean.

casskid
07-20-2008, 01:43 AM
All of this talk of Pinkston makes me think that we should be focusing on who will be the new Fred X.

eaglesfan_45
07-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Brian Robiskie (WR Ohio St.)

He is the best route runner in the draft class right now, and is a late Rd.1 early Rd. 2 prospect, and it turns out his dad is the WR Coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Articles/2008/01/21-27/Falcons_name_Terry_Robiskie_receivers_coach.aspx

Robiskie comes to Atlanta with 26 years of coaching experience, all of which spent in the NFL. Last season, he served as the wide receivers coach for the Miami Dolphins and guided the teamís first-round draft selection, wide receiver Ted Ginn, Jr. who finished third on the team in receiving.

Intersting little side bar there, and I bet there is going to be some consideration for Brian if hes there when the Falcons pick in Rd.2.

eaglesalltheway
07-22-2008, 06:23 AM
I am HOPEING that Derrick Willaims finally lives up to expectations and breaks out moving him up on the boards. I think he will work out great and catch on somewhere come combine/draft time, but I hope he finishes his career on a high note.

So am I, if he can have a great year this year, it would not only be great for PSU, it would benefit him enormously. I think if he has a very good season, he could reach round two draft stock.

yourfavestoner
07-22-2008, 09:27 AM

DHB for some reason makes me think of Randy Moss.

Jeremy Maclin makes me think of Joey Galloway.

Percy Harvin=Peter Warrick

07-22-2008, 10:08 AM

Percy Harvin = Reggie Bush @ WR

yourfavestoner
07-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Percy Harvin = Reggie Bush @ WR

Well, Reggie Bush=Peter Warrick, too. I always said that WR was Reggie's natural position, not tailback.

People forget how beastly Peter was at FSU. Nobody on the field could touch him.

steelernation77
07-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Although this may seem homer, I could see Andy Brodell, WR, Iowa, making it into the 4th round or so with a big year. He had a break out game against Texas in the Alamo Bowl two years ago, but was injured most of last year. At 6'3" with legit 4.4 speed, he's got the size/speed ratio. His hands are somewhat suspect though, so, like I said, this is all dependent on a good year this year. Christensen is obviously not the greatest QB, but Brodell will be the experienced WR he sorely missed last year, so he could have some pretty good production.

Some highlights from the Iowa vs. Texas Alamo Bowl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghxMRagbRI

Big_Pete
07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
There are some decent WR prospects that no-one here seems to be talking about

Brian Robiskie, Ohio State
Brandon Gibson, Washington State
Louis Murphy, Florida
Juaquin Iglesias, Oklahoma

they may not be as flashy as the underclassmen, but how to they rate as WR prospects?

eaglesfan_45
07-23-2008, 12:23 AM

Louis Murphy, Florida

they may not be as flashy as the underclassmen, but how to they rate as WR prospects?

I really like him and I want him to be an Eagle he is the perfect WCO reciever, reminds me of Marvin Harrison with his route running ability. His dad is the WR coach for the Falcons and was the intern head coach of the Browns for a couple games.

The other 3 are a ? marks to me, seen their names before on draft websites but don't know much about them.

fenikz
07-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Heisman favorite, Chris McGaha.
http://www.4vradvl.com/1b3ec24d0.jpg

eaglesalltheway
07-23-2008, 06:25 AM

Louis Murphy, Florida

I think Louis Murphy could really help his draft stock this year. If people are too focused on Harvin for their games, that could lead to more opportunities to showcase his abilities and if he performs well, really could amke it into the 2nd to 3rd round range no problem.

eaglesfan_45
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I found the Second coming of Randy Moss, he's a redshirt sophomore so technically, he is eligible.

Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gaXgQ46PA5YT/340x.jpg

Tampa 2 4 life
07-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I found the Second coming of Randy Moss, he's a redshirt sophomore so technically, he is eligible.

Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
Height: 6-4. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gaXgQ46PA5YT/340x.jpg

He kinda needs to know how to run a route and catch a ball first.

eaglesfan_45
07-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Randy Moss can run a route? this is news to me I thought he only ran straight ahead? [sarcasm]

Race for the Heisman
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Robiskie has been mentioned a couple of times already, and I agree with the sentiment that he may best route-runner in this class. As already stated he's the son of an NFL wide receivers' coach and he's very polished. His agility and time speed aren't excellent but I would say both are pretty good in comparison to other NFL prospects (I won't take a guess on his shuttle but I think he could run high 4.4-low 4.5). This Youtube video is actually of both Brians at Ohio State, the other of which is Brian Hartline, who isn't likely to declare IMO but is a pretty good prospect in his own right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL1w20RitHo.

Obviously highlight reels can make anyone look good but my favorite catch is against Penn State (and Justin King) at about the 1:30 mark. You can see how he sets King up and then his body control afterwards is fantastic. He sells King on a go or a dig or something or other at 2:25 as well which also showcases his route-running. The catch in the corner of the endzone at 2:55 is another nice moment that demonstrates his awareness. The tape doesn't do his catch against Wisconsin justice at 3:55.

That said, he's not the shiftiest guy but he isn't just good for the catch. He can make guys miss and break tackles, its just not really a strong suit. Last note, his hands are fantastic. There's nothing eye-popping about him so he almost certainly won't be the first guy picked but he should be in the mix in the first round if he has a good season.

Robiskie love aside, I don't think Hartline will come out next year, but Ray Small could. He hasn't really lived up to the hype and with a decent year (or perhaps otherwise) I think he could come out. He's got good speed (maybe high 4.3) but he lacks ideal size (maybe 5' 9" and 180 lb) and he's never real made an impact as a special teams player (which would be crucial for a guy like him). If he has a solid year (maybe 35 or so catches), I think considering the underclassmen behind him, envisioning him coming out isn't too much of a stretch.