PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Handhelds ... HELP! Is Wifi that convenient?

benjamink15
05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey,

So i'm getting a new phone. I'm debating whether to get a Blackberry, an HTC, a Palm or some other device.

My dilemma is, Telus doesnt offer have any phones that are wifi capable. My understanding is that they remove this capability deliberately to almost force you to use their internet. I thought it was soo cool initially that i could be connected to the net ALL THE TIME because when i'm on campus there is wireless, at home i have wireless and at work i have wireless.

So i thought long and hard about switching phone companies to maybe Rogers or something like that just so i could get an iphone or some other phone that allows me to use wifi. The more i think about it ... i dont have wifi now and i'm perfectly fine ... I'm not even sure if i'd be using the capability as much as i think (but i could be on the message boards 24/7 :))

Any experts on this matter? Do you have a wifi capable device? How is it? Would you trade it for something without wifi?

I really like Telus' service, rate plans, friendly customer service and i dont mind the phone choices. I really dont wanna switch phone companies either. If one of their smartphones had wifi i think i would be a kid in a candy store.

Help!

EDIT: I AM CANADIAN LOL

Hawk
05-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I have never heard of Telus or Rogers service.

Are you Canadian?

benjamink15
05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I have never heard of Telus or Rogers service.

Are you Canadian?

Yes :) ... sry should have mentioned it

Telus is the equivalent of sayyy Sprint and Rogers is like AT&T or Verizon
(i.e Telus is CDMA/EDVO technology and Rogers is GSM?)

Hawk
05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Well I'm currently using AT&T and probably picking up a Blackberry within the next week or so. Some of my friends have them, and they like being able to be on the internet.

But then you would have to switch....

benjamink15
05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
My only problem is ... if i switch i'm going to be paying about $5/month more for the same rate plan plus switching costs, setup fees etc. etc. If it was a seamless switch i'd probably do it ... but there are costs associated with it. I know no one can outright say "ITS WORTH IT DO ITTT!!!" or anything like that but i want some knowledgeable opinions.

Thanks for chiming in ... it helps

j05son
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
I work for at&t mobility so I know a good bit about cellphones.

First off, It's really just preference if you go CDMA or GSM. I have always used GSM through CellOne and at&t and have had some friends use T-Mobile. I personally will stick with GSM.

Being with at&t I will tell you DON'T GET THE iPhone...It's locked and cannot be unlocked by us. You can get it unlocked for a GSM network but Apple does random sweeps and it will lock the phone right back up. You'll have to pay the 14 year old kid that cracks the code on some online site every time it locks back up.

Really, wifi isn't that neccassary as you will have internet anywhere you have a GSM signal. Through at&t you'll have access to MediaNet anywhere you have a signal, now it can vary speeds depending on the type of network your in.

About changing carriers, usually threatening to cancel within your buyers remorse [US it's 14days by law] will get you to the "save team" where they will most likely waive those initial fees for you. If they don't you can leave them without any penalty and go back to your previous carrier =]

***With at&t we can still charge activation fees if you cancel after 4 days but we don't charge early termination fees if you cancel within 30. May want to find out specifics on Rogers before following any advice.***

brat316
05-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I have a Treo 700 wx i love it/ hate it. Love the touch screen feature quick and stuff tap and go. I had the internet on it not to great because you don't get the full internet its like half asssed but good enough to check e-mails and stuff. Good thing about Windows mobile phone is nvr loose your contacts just upload them on your computer using outlook and if something happen bam there right there. It slows down sometimes and freezes, but i trade it in for a new one i say something like the spearker blew. So far I love it i put a bunch of games in to keep me ocupided while waiting there, you get WMP. also Palm is the only phone to have the quick contacts where when you type in say 214 all the phone numbers in your phone with 214 appear or if you type in TA all the people whos names begin with TA appear right away. you have Word, EXCEl and stuff. I like good phone. If your big on internet and appearnly can't find a computer than iphone is the way to go you have the WIFI card which first you have to find a WIFI signal or you can just get it with your subscriber.

Also PALM does not come with a WIFI card but you can buy a seprate one, I just used my phone companies internet verizon. Remeber with WIFI you won't alway have internet.

benjamink15
05-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow thanks guys ... great information ... i think i'm leaning towards the blackberry curve and not switching -_-

awfullyquiet
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
verizon is cdma. not gsm.

just as a clarification. wifi is kinda pointless ATM. give it another two years. or wait. isn't canadian contracts 3 years? keep a shorter contract.

j05son
05-30-2008, 12:05 AM
verizon is cdma. not gsm.

just as a clarification. wifi is kinda pointless ATM. give it another two years. or wait. isn't canadian contracts 3 years? keep a shorter contract.

She would be correct, in both regards [I don't know about canadian contracts or I would give you the hat trick].

Verizon is CDMA. T-Mobile and at&t are the major American players in GSM.

GSM > CDMA IMO but it's really up to you [as long as you pick GSM].

The curve 8310 is a good phone, it's very popular. It doesn't not have streaming video though, so if that's something you wish'd you could do, you won't be able too. It has BlackBerry browser and doesn't use Window Mobile OS which is a plus over most PDA's [I like Windows Mobile, but lots hate it]. The browser shouldn't matter as you should be getting Opera Mini if you know anything. BBerry maps will be included so it's like it's own GPS system for you. I don't know what types of frequencies Canada uses, but it's Quad Band so it'll work all over [except you WILL be raped if you leave Canada - price wise of course=p ]. I absolutely hate the scroll ball but that's just me [and why I will never own one] and if you need any help, I'm good friends with one of the head moderaters of www.crackberry.com he's one of their best [almost in a pay position with them, and has had training in the RIM facility in Georgia]. Plus unlike older models of BBerries, this one has a camera [no capturing video though]...

Scott Wright
05-30-2008, 12:08 AM
I have the Blackberry Curve and it's the best phone I have ever owned, which is saying something since I get a new one every year.

As for the WiFi, mine has it but I really don't even use it because I don't notice a huge difference in speed.

awfullyquiet
05-30-2008, 12:53 AM
She would be correct, in both regards [I don't know about canadian contracts or I would give you the hat trick].

Verizon is CDMA. T-Mobile and at&t are the major American players in GSM.

GSM > CDMA IMO but it's really up to you [as long as you pick GSM].

Well. CDMA/EVDO > GSM. for straight phone clarity, the only thing that CDMA doesn't get the nod for is it's lower coverage size against straight gsm and it's inability to work overseas.

I mean, now that GSM is bringing hsdpa online vs evdo. GSM has as fast as CDMA download speeds. Unless your t-mobile. of which then it's a lost cause.

HSDPA has like nothing covered yet (which is the 3G GSM protocol), whereas EVDO has been covered for probably 5 years in most major areas. that's the official diagnosis.

i live and die on my crackberry. my company has a GSM contract. i refuse to use it and use my phone instead.

brat316
05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Verizon has now gone over sea you can use their phones globally, well only 1 or 2 of the blackberrys

awfullyquiet
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Verizon has now gone over sea you can use their phones globally, well only 1 or 2 of the blackberrys

not the whole kit and kaboodle. they switch from CDMA to GSM when you go oversees.