PDA

View Full Version : What brand football pads?

AussieBoy
06-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Okay, I'm an Aussie and I've been talked into getting on the field in a local American Football comp.

I've done a google search but it hasn't really helped. What brand of football shoulder pads are reputable? The two I have zeroed in on are Schutt Tornado or Douglas SP. Are they any good?

Also, what's the difference in experience between flat pads versus non-flat?

I'll likely be playing some sort of DB, and I think I like the idea of low profile flat pads. I won't have the chance to test before I buy!

trekindude
06-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I have some WR pads that are Schutt, which I use when I play over here. As a result their relatively flat. I like 'em a lot. They're pretty old-school and have almost no padding compared to the Tornado ones/any of the others which are new and I've seen guys wearing. But they definitely protect you. I don't actually like the extra padding on them. It makes them too bulky for playing WR/DB in my opinion.
Ebay often has a variety of pads, usually fairly new due to people trying football and then changing their minds, that are cheaper than buying at Manufacturer prices.

Brent
06-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Schutt and Riddell are two big companies

YAYareaRB
06-06-2008, 11:28 AM
The Tornadoes are good. I used em last year and they're really lightweight but have excellent all around protection.

eaglesalltheway
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Okay, I'm an Aussie and I've been talked into getting on the field in a local American Football comp.

I've done a google search but it hasn't really helped. What brand of football shoulder pads are reputable? The two I have zeroed in on are Schutt Tornado or Douglas SP. Are they any good?

Also, what's the difference in experience between flat pads versus non-flat?

I'll likely be playing some sort of DB, and I think I like the idea of low profile flat pads. I won't have the chance to test before I buy!

You couldn't go worng with either, as both are reputable companies with good products, its just a matter of hwo each one fits you.