PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays

nyqua
06-11-2008, 05:02 AM
How good can this guy be? He is an absolute freak athletically and started at USC as a true freshman. Can he be a top 5 pick?

wicket
06-11-2008, 05:20 AM
tbh I don't think a safety will go top 5 period, he might be the best safety prospect in years but still.

Yatta!
06-11-2008, 05:47 AM
He's got all the tools and is a sure fire 1st rounder but he needs to be more consistent on the field before he can be considered to be close to Sean Taylor/Laron Landry as a prospect.

nyqua
06-11-2008, 05:59 AM
How does he rank compared to past safeties based only off his combine/timed numbers?

Yatta!
06-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Laron Landry - 6'1", 213, 4.35
Sean Taylor - 6'3", 230, 4.40-55

Taylor Mays - 6'3", 225, 4.25-35 (apparently ran 4.25 at USC last spring but I'll believe that when I see it.)

eaglesalltheway
06-11-2008, 06:52 AM
tbh I don't think a safety will go top 5 period, he might be the best safety prospect in years but still.

S has been gaining value on teams over the years, and Laron Landry went 6 if I remember correctly. So if Mays can boost himself up to that #1 safety prospect, I see no reason why he can'r be a top 5 pick, but like it was said before, he must perform more on the field to be mentioned with Landry and Taylor.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-11-2008, 07:05 AM
The man is a beast. Like said if he can show some great play on the field he will be top 5 pick.

benjamink15
06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I'd give my left nut to have him or Myron Rolle on the Chargers

eaglesalltheway
06-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Same goes for the Eagles.

keylime_5
06-11-2008, 10:33 AM
He's a little more athlete than football player, but he's still a great player. He's not what Landry or Taylor were in college at this point, but his potential is sky high. I think without question he can be a top 5 pick, especially next year where there is no clear cut top player and a top tier that looks to be 5-15 guys right now.

Addict
06-11-2008, 11:33 AM

I want him on the Lions as well, but I ain't donating my balls.

Michigan
06-11-2008, 11:59 AM

Trust me, you don't want to give up your left nut for Myron Rolle. It's doubtful he'll even be a safety in the NFL.

The Legend
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM
if he runs a sub 4.35 i think he could, if he run 4.2 he will go number one lol

srv fan
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Trust me, you don't want to give up your left nut for Myron Rolle. It's doubtful he'll even be a safety in the NFL.

The same "not a safety" argument could be said for Taylor Mays, even though he's obviously a lot better than Rolle. Mays is already huge for a safety, and apparently has some trouble keeping weight off- the USC S and C coach said he could easily be LB or even DL sized. If he's already fighting against his frame when he's 20 and in his physical prime, I really doubt he can avert the natural thickening processes of age and stay a safety for his NFL career.

I think Mays is Brian Urlacher 2.0 with added athleticism. A big, physically gifted safety who bulks up for LB in the pros.

toddmlazarchick
06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I want to replace Taylor with another Taylor. Mays and Landry would make another sick duo!

draftguru151
06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
The same "not a safety" argument could be said for Taylor Mays, even though he's obviously a lot better than Rolle. Mays is already huge for a safety, and apparently has some trouble keeping weight off- the USC S and C coach said he could easily be LB or even DL sized. If he's already fighting against his frame when he's 20 and in his physical prime, I really doubt he can avert the natural thickening processes of age and stay a safety for his NFL career.

I think Mays is Brian Urlacher 2.0 with added athleticism. A big, physically gifted safety who bulks up for LB in the pros.

Mays actually has the speed to play the position though, Rolle doesn't.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-11-2008, 01:37 PM
We'll see on the Mays playing linebacker thing. Despite his size, he isn't as consistently physical as I'd like to see. Perhaps enough for a safety, but probably not quite enough to play linebacker. Even if he winds up in the 230's he probably has more than enough speed to play safety in the pro's.

Remember, Urlacher played all over that Lobo defense and weighed in at the combine at almost 260 lbs. He was already a linebacker physically. If Mays comes in at 240+, then the conversation can start.

Go_Eagles77
06-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Brian Dawkins' future replacement. hehe

Hopefully the panthers can help us out with that.

brat316
06-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Mays will end up at safety, really a great athlete. I don't think he is quite the Taylor or Landry type as far as his tackling goes but he sure can fly to the ball like them with his speed.

To move a guy with speed like that to Lb would kind of be a waste IMO. He isn't as PMD said physical enough.

Could he be the next Brain Dawkins maybe depending on what he relies more on his speed and athleticism or his instincts.

keylime_5
06-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Mays isn't a linebacker at all. Just 'cause he has the size doesn't mean he can cut it. Not physical enough to play LB in college, he certainly won't be physical enough to play it in the NFL. Now if he were a tough tackler who reads and reacts and pushes off blockers like a linebacker (which is far from what he is) then maybe, but no. He'll be a very good safety in the NFL. Very big and fast, he can hit hard and has good ball skills.

brat316
06-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Though I liked Kevin Ellison the SS always in the right place to make the big hits

no love
06-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Laron Landry - 6'1", 213, 4.35
Sean Taylor - 6'3", 230, 4.40-55

Taylor Mays - 6'3", 225, 4.25-35 (apparently ran 4.25 at USC last spring but I'll believe that when I see it.)

I was hearing 4.39 last spring. Which makes more sense on their fast track. Puts him right in that Sean Taylor/Vernon Davis freakness level.

tEk
06-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Though I liked Kevin Ellison the SS always in the right place to make the big hits
dont kid yourself everyone, ellison is the stud play making wise. i cant wait, probably the best college saftey duo ever when all is said and done.

LonghornsLegend
06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
If he runs a 4.3 he won't make it out of the top 10, but he will also have to have some pretty solid production this year since everyone knows who he is and will be looking for him to be a playmaker/ball hawk...At worst case you can make him a SS, but if he is that fast, I don't see the sense in forcing him to be a LB.

fenikz
06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Mays and Rolle are the 2 most overrated safeties in the NCAA they have yet to do anything that is extremely impressive and warrants them a 1st round grade

holt_bruce81
06-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Taylor Mays is probably the most overrated player in next years draft.

LonghornsLegend
06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Mays and Rolle are the 2 most overrated safeties in the NCAA they have yet to do anything that is extremely impressive and warrants them a 1st round grade

There are lots of players who ended up going in the 1st round if for nothing at all but workout warriors, I'm pretty sure Mays at least qualifies for that group, Rolle is another story.

yourfavestoner
06-12-2008, 09:28 PM

Rolle=Roy Williams 2.0. Except he's not even a good college player.

06-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Nah, CJ Spiller is at the top of my list atm.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Mays could wind up like Sean Taylor, or he could wind up like Josh Barrett. His game absolutely needs to take a considerable jump this season, but the ability is there to both have a great year and to then blow the roof off the combine.

Mr.Regular
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree with paranoid. Its up in the air right now. But with his ability, the team around him, another year under his belt, and eye-popping measurables, I suspect a good year coming and in turn a high first round grade.

d34ng3l021
06-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree with the Rolle statement. I think he might be too slow to be an effective SS. Maybe OLB. I heard he might not even go pro. He might pursue an MD.

Taylor Mays is awfully athletic but hasnt shown it on the field. I am still awaiting a breakout season on his part. If he can be a dominating safety for USC, then he will be considering a top10 selection. Not until then. And what is up with his growing?

d34ng3l021
06-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I agree with the Rolle statement. I think he might be too slow to be an effective SS. Maybe OLB. I heard he might not even go pro. He might pursue an MD.

Taylor Mays is awfully athletic but hasnt shown it on the field. I am still awaiting a breakout season on his part. If he can be a dominating safety for USC, then he will be considering a top10 selection. Not until then. And what is up with his growing?

Vikes99ej
06-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Let me guess.... William Moore is just lightyears ahead of him?

Paranoidmoonduck
06-12-2008, 10:18 PM
I have little invested in either USC or Missouri, and I would absolutely say that, right now, William Moore is head and shoulders above any other safety for the 2009 draft. That said, if Mays and he have a comparable 2008 season, Mays' superior measurables would likely boost him above.

brat316
06-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Watch out for Kevin Ellison

jbeans187
06-12-2008, 11:53 PM

Im writing in William Moore on my 08 election ballot ;) Moore is a great player prob late 1st or 2nd round pick right now, but soooo much changes from now til the draft. If Taylor Mays has a solid year, not even spectacular and works out like we think he will, he will easily be considered the top saftey and likely top 15 pick

holt_bruce81
06-13-2008, 01:01 AM

In terms of right now who the better safety is, yes William Moore is better then Mays and it's really not even close. Mays has more Potential than Moore does but potential gets you no where if you don't know how to live up to it.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-13-2008, 02:33 AM
I wouldnt even have Rolle in my top 5 safeties.
Mays,Harris,Moore,Chung,and Greene are all better prospects.IMO.

toddmlazarchick
06-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Mays is beast! This kid has the potential to be the next Redskins safety lol (taylor or landry) The kid reminds me a lot of Sean. It would be great to see him teamed up with Landry. Even Ellison too. SC is gonna have one of if not the beast S duo in a very long time!

fenikz
06-13-2008, 03:08 AM
I think Mays is much closer to a Josh Barrett then to a Sean Taylor

Yatta!
06-13-2008, 03:47 AM
I think Mays will be a definite 1st rounder, he doesn't even need to blow up this year. If he really improves his play then he's a top 10 pick. Moore is probably a 1st rounder as well.

Rolle is another story, he is the most overrated player in the nation and has quite a bit to do to even catch up Mays imo. Just a worse version of Roy Williams.

keylime_5
06-13-2008, 10:54 PM
In terms of right now who the better safety is, yes William Moore is better then Mays and it's really not even close. Mays has more Potential than Moore does but potential gets you no where if you don't know how to live up to it.

Mays has elite measurables and was all american last year (3rd team I think) and has lots more potential than any safety who is draft eligible for 2009. And last I checked potential is the name of the game in the NFL draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-14-2008, 12:57 AM
I think Mays is much closer to a Josh Barrett then to a Sean Taylor

As of right now, I'm inclined to agree. Taylor's talent and natural ability was obvious immediately. Mays makes some impressive plays in coverage considering his size, but he isn't the aggressive defender you'd expect.

Barrett's junior year was actually pretty impressive, so we'll have to wait and see. If he had come out last year instead of after a disappointing senior campaign and run that 4.34 at the combine, he might have been drafted as early as the second round. He was one of those guys who saw a big jump in production from his sophomore year as well. So maybe being a bit like Barrett isn't the worst thing in the world.

I hate making any definitive statement about a guy before he's even played his junior year, but I can't say I see a whole lot in Mays beyond impressive physical ability. Then again, if he does put it together, that Trojan defense is really flattering to safeties.

LonghornsLegend
06-14-2008, 08:51 AM

I can think of a million examples that GM's went with potential over production during the draft, so it's not like it doesn't matter...Mays could have a decent year, but if he runs a low 4.3 at his size teams will still have him high on their draft boards.

SuperKevin
06-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Right now I'd be worried about bulking myself up into playing linebacker if I were Mays. As a safety he's a rare physical specimen but as a linebacker he'd be too raw and inexperienced

lordquas
06-14-2008, 04:54 PM
you guys cant say that Taylor Mays and CJ Spiller are overrated, their both only juniors. Mays is a friggin beast and Spiller is lightning fast. Both have all the potential in the world. Spiller and Mays burst on the scene as a freshman and as sophomores still played at high levels. This is only their junior seasons but it'll be interesting to see how both play this year.

toddmlazarchick
06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
you guys cant say that Taylor Mays and CJ Spiller are overrated, their both only juniors. Mays is a friggin beast and Spiller is lightning fast. Both have all the potential in the world. Spiller and Mays burst on the scene as a freshman and as sophomores still played at high levels. This is only their junior seasons but it'll be interesting to see how both play this year.

couldnt have put it better. Mays has the potential to be incredbile. Im a Notre Dame fan and i still think the kid is awesome. so im not being a homer. Mays doesn't have to break every record and have a blow out season to be a solid top 15 pick. especially over Moore. im still a huge Moore fan as well, but i think Mays will end up being top 15 and Moore will be first round.

fenikz
06-14-2008, 05:58 PM

No, this is America so I can.

Mays is very overrated, he isn't in the top 5 as far as college safeties go

1. Moore
2. Harris
3. Chung
4. Pegues (I think he will make the move)
5. Chancellor

Yatta!
06-14-2008, 07:14 PM
How can players not be overrated just because they are juniors?

Yes Spiller and Mays have huge amounts of potential but they have not played up to it consistently as of yet. They are overrated because people are focusing on the players that they think they will become rather than the players they are.

Mays doesn't have to break every record and have a blow out season to be a solid top 15 pick.

Exactly the problem, you're overrating Mays because of his mesurables. He needs to have a decent season to be a 1st rounder and he needs to live up to his potential on the field to be considered the 'elite' safety prospect that some people seem to think he is already.

toddmlazarchick
06-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Exactly the problem, you're overrating Mays because of his mesurables. He needs to have a decent season to be a 1st rounder and he needs to live up to his potential on the field to be considered the 'elite' safety prospect that some people seem to think he is already.

did you read my post, obviously you didn't. you said Mays has to have a decent season to be a first rounder. i said he doesnt have to have a record breaking year to be first round pick, a decent year would solidify that. how is that not the same thing as you just said?

islandboy843
06-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I mean he can always have a bad season and be a workout warrior.

soybean
06-16-2008, 12:03 AM
yeah, i think production in the eyes of scouts is overrated, because production can be coached but not athleticism/build.

there have been many players who have went too high in the draft based on potential.

BamaFalcon59
06-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Kam Chancellor is the real best safety prospect. 6'4" 220 4.5 brutal hitter and great play on the field, QB in highschool, CB as a freshman, rover as a sophmore, free safety this year as a junior. Good shot he comes out early, just tapping his potential.

TheBuffaloBills
07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
He sounds like Aaron Rouse.

BamaFalcon59
07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
He sounds like Aaron Rouse.

Except he hits harder, is a better athlete, and has versatility.

Staubach12
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
He's a good player. I have troubles putting him anywhere in the top-15. Good player, fantastic athlete, and tons of potential. I worry about his bulk and ability to control it. I want to see him do something amazing as a player, as opposed to showing me something amazing as an athlete. If he puts it all together, he will be the best safety in the class. However, I'm not sure he will.

TACKLE
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I think people aren't giving him enough credit. Mays exceeded expectations as a freshman and played very well. But as a sophomore he didn't make the jump people expected and played at the same level which was still solid. Many players who have breakout freshman season often don't play as well as people expected as a sophomore. I'm not to concerned about is stats because there so much speed and talent in front of him, that at FS, the play often doesn't make it to him. Most players at SC don't put up overly impressive tackle numbers. If the draft were today, then no Taylor Mays wouldn't warrant a Top 15 pick. As junior, I really expected him to take a leadership role in the defense and take a big step and will become an elite safety in college football.