PDA

View Full Version : Burress Deserves the Contract Extension he Demands

KPhillips21
06-12-2008, 12:40 PM
With all the discussion that has circulated surrounding the current contract situation of WR Plaxico Burress, a lot of media opinions and debates have occurred as of late. Some believe he deserves the new contract based on his accomplishments as a Giant and his gutsy determination in 2007. Others believe since he is now 30 years old, it would be foolish to give in to his demands.

I discovered this article today about the situation and I feel it is extremely on point; Plaxico deserves a renegotiated contract that only extends his current deal an extra two years, which would make it a 5 year contract.

Though the Giants will likely have to pay Plax a significant chunk of change (especially after seeing the offseason deals that Moss, Owens and a guy like Javon Walker ended up landing), he is our most dangerous deep thread and without him, our offense is clearly not explosive.

Giants WR Burress Deserves the Contract Extension he Demands
http://thecelebritycafe.com/features/16824.html

SCSteeler
06-14-2008, 01:58 PM
With all the discussion that has circulated surrounding the current contract situation of WR Plaxico Burress, a lot of media opinions and debates have occurred as of late. Some believe he deserves the new contract based on his accomplishments as a Giant and his gutsy determination in 2007. Others believe since he is now 30 years old, it would be foolish to give in to his demands.

I discovered this article today about the situation and I feel it is extremely on point; Plaxico deserves a renegotiated contract that only extends his current deal an extra two years, which would make it a 5 year contract.

Though the Giants will likely have to pay Plax a significant chunk of change (especially after seeing the offseason deals that Moss, Owens and a guy like Javon Walker ended up landing), he is our most dangerous deep thread and without him, our offense is clearly not explosive.

Giants WR Burress Deserves the Contract Extension he Demands
http://thecelebritycafe.com/features/16824.html

I don't know if he "Deserves" a bigger contract? Barely 1000 yards and only 12 touchdowns isn't that great. He's no Moss, and no Owens, and he's hit the magic #, 30!
Plus he's had an injury riddled career!
It would show good sportsman ship by the Front Office to extend and strengthen his contract, which I think they should; but I don't think he "deserves" it.

Big_Pete
06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Burress is on $3.5 million this year

How much should he get? Where do you draw the line?

$5 mil?, $7mil, $9mil a year??

What if it means we can't resign Brandon Jacobs or Chris Snee who are off contract after the season. Both of those guys are much higher priority than a guy with 3 years left on his contract..

BaLLiN
06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
id say this again 4 years 30 million

LonghornsLegend
06-15-2008, 08:43 PM

I think he's worth more then that...But then again, he has 3 years left, he really has no leverage in this, its not like he would sit one year then leave, he has alot of years left that he has to own up to...I feel he deserves an extension, but he is going to have to suck it up and play whether he gets it or not due to being right in the middle of his contract.

Forenci
06-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I think he deserves it, however, I would prefer to see him play one more productive and healthy season before we give him a better contract, personally.

Still, the way he played through injury this year earned a ton of respect from me so I really can't complain.

bigbluedefense
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Give him and Osi the money they deserve. Give Snee fair value, if he wants more you have to let him walk. Jacobs...give him whatever, he's replaceable.

Shockey can go screw himself.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Give him and Osi the money they deserve. Give Snee fair value, if he wants more you have to let him walk. Jacobs...give him whatever, he's replaceable.

I say do that for Snee and Osi, two trench players, and give the others a fair deal. If they price themselves out, so be it!

TheGreatEscape
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd give Osi and Plax raises because both have played great for us, the stats don't do either one justice. Snee is a guy we should definitely re-sign because I don't imagine he'll price himself out of what we can pay. He's an elite guard and a huge part of our oline.

I'd love to keep jacobs but as said he is expendable.

Big_Pete
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM

$7.5 mill a year?? no thanks

Plax has talent; but we can do without him.

I would rather take my chances with Amani and the talented youngsters we have, they will step up and get the job done.

I would rather give the money to Snee and Osi

Forenci
06-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I honestly feel like Snee is a bit overrated. I feel like the guy that really anchors the line, or more importantly leads the offensive line is O'Hara. As long as he's around I think we can get away with losing a guy or two.

I like the kid we picked up off waivers not too long ago last year. Boothe, I believe. If Snee leaves I have no problem plugging him in at right guard as I think he can do a good job pulling.

TheGreatEscape
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I honestly feel like Snee is a bit overrated. I feel like the guy that really anchors the line, or more importantly leads the offensive line is O'Hara. As long as he's around I think we can get away with losing a guy or two.

I like the kid we picked up off waivers not too long ago last year. Boothe, I believe. If Snee leaves I have no problem plugging him in at right guard as I think he can do a good job pulling.

I loved Boothe coming out of cornell, was one of my top sleepers, but he's not Snee and doesn't have the potential to match snee. O'hara maybe the leader on the oline but Snee is a dominate lineman.

Crickett
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
$7.5 mill a year?? no thanks

Plax has talent; but we can do without him.

I would rather take my chances with Amani and the talented youngsters we have, they will step up and get the job done.

I would rather give the money to Snee and Osi

As good as the Giants WR group is, Plax is one of those people that the Giants can't do without. Toomer isn't the receiver he was, which is fine because I'm not sure he was ever the receiver Plax is and none of the youngersters have shown they can fill those shoes.

I'll also say this.

If you add enough of those "we can live without"s together, you get a team that wins the superbowl one year and misses the playoffs the next year.

no love
06-16-2008, 06:17 PM

True. That offense revolves around the deep ball. It's Manning's best ball.

Osi is like any superstar. Give him max and expect it to need to be redone in about 2-3 years when he outplays it.

Snee is a guard. I am all for paying guys money. But guards are a bit easier to replace than most positions.

Jacobs won't be getting a big contract from anyone if he can't stay healthy.

Shockey is a distraction.

BaLLiN
06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
You know, i think we might cut some people to make room. RW, Droughns, Wright, all three of those should be gone. Id like to try to trade Droughns, we could probably get a late rounder which would be fine by me because at least we'd be getting someone with potential.

I really want to keep Madison, but i think we might have to part with him.

Pecking order:
1. Osi- a pass rush is the key to winning. He's top 10 in the league without a doubt, deserves his money.

2. Snee- i want to keep him, but yea i see that we have to let someone go and he's probably the easiest to replace because of his position and asking price. He really is just an amazing run blocker, last season there were a number of amazing blocks that led to huge yardage, i think we need to keep him, but its just my opinion.

3. Plax- He really does deserve the money as well. He's our only game breaker besides possibly Bradshaw. No one really fears any of our other recievers (we'll see about super mario) and jacobs hardly ever breaks off great yardage.

4. Jacobs- I think he's expendable. He's not very good in the pass game despite what most people thought after seeing him in the last year with tiki. He is a great presence and inspires fear like no other, still improving. Depending on what he does this season really determines my mind. If he gets injured more than once i think we should part with him.

5. my mom- she never complains, always fulfills my hunger, when she's angry i want to cry like a little girl.

6. Shockey- i really wanted to like the guy, but he really doesnt just shut up. He has all the talent to be a top 5 TE in the league, but doesnt learn. I think we start him and trade him before the deadline. thats it.

Big_Pete
06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
As good as the Giants WR group is, Plax is one of those people that the Giants can't do without. Toomer isn't the receiver he was, which is fine because I'm not sure he was ever the receiver Plax is and none of the youngersters have shown they can fill those shoes.

I'll also say this.

If you add enough of those "we can live without"s together, you get a team that wins the superbowl one year and misses the playoffs the next year.

Wasn't the same thing said about our RBs once Tiki retired? and our Oline without Petitgout? Instead of falling apart as "experts" predicted, we won the SB. I choose to have faith in the front office and the talent we have brought in.

We have plenty of young guys with legitmate talent, give them the opportunity and lets see what they can do. I think with Toomer, Smith, Moss, Manningham, Tyree and probably Hixon, our passing game would be different, but I do think it could also be effective.

My take on it is that the Player should conform to what the team does (and excel becasue of it); the team (at least the Giants) should not be conforming to what the player does.

I think we should offer Burress a reasonable pay rise (perhaps up to a $5mil salary); but if he doesn't come to the party; trade him for a draft pick (maybe a 2nd/3rd) and reinvest Plax's money in other players.

TheGreatEscape
06-19-2008, 03:32 PM
If we lose Plax Shockey will have to become our go to guy. I honestly don't think he'll be a problem. The media created the whole "we're better off without em" thing in last year playoffs and come TC Shockey will be there kicking ass and taking names to regain his standing as one of our greatest players.

LonghornsLegend
06-21-2008, 03:26 PM
What's the cap like for you guys? I figured Strahan not coming back would open up money for somebody like Osi, I believe he had 14 sacks twice thus far, so I'd say he's worth the extra money...Plaxico is right in the middle of his deal, he can be upset all he wants but the Giants has control of that situation, he's not even close to his contract expiring, and he won't sit out a few years, he will just have to play.

bigbluedefense
06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
What's the cap like for you guys? I figured Strahan not coming back would open up money for somebody like Osi, I believe he had 14 sacks twice thus far, so I'd say he's worth the extra money...Plaxico is right in the middle of his deal, he can be upset all he wants but the Giants has control of that situation, he's not even close to his contract expiring, and he won't sit out a few years, he will just have to play.

It seems though that the Giants are working on an extension with him though, even though they don't have to. I agree with it though, Burress deserves a raise, especially when he couldve went on IR last year but instead played the entire year on one leg.

I personally feel we should extend all our guys in house now, asap, because its gonna be cheaper, and we keep our guys together and team chemistry together.

I have a hunch we lose Snee though.

TheGreatEscape
06-21-2008, 10:26 PM

With how Plax played last season he's earned a raise and just to keep the chemistry we should pay him what he's worth.

Crickett
06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Wasn't the same thing said about our RBs once Tiki retired? and our Oline without Petitgout?

I thought Jacobs would be able to carry the load, but yeah, people thought the Giants run game would suffer. As for Petitgout, I'd say no.

We have plenty of young guys with legitmate talent, give them the opportunity and lets see what they can do. I think with Toomer, Smith, Moss, Manningham, Tyree and probably Hixon, our passing game would be different, but I do think it could also be effective.

Toomer isn't going to be more than he is now, Moss hasn't been ANYTHING, Tyree's career can be summed up in one catch and Manningham, well, I was one of his biggest detractors going into the draft. Most had him going in the late first early second. I thought he was selected when he should have been selected. The third round. And Smith isn't going to replace Plax, although I do feel he can be a good #2 WR.

I think we should offer Burress a reasonable pay rise (perhaps up to a $5mil salary); but if he doesn't come to the party; trade him for a draft pick (maybe a 2nd/3rd) and reinvest Plax's money in other players.

In other players? Like who? Are the Giants going to pay Osi 200 million dollars or something that they can't afford to pay anyone else? Who else are they going to pay?

Also, isn't Plax already making 5 million a year?

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Petitgout was really never all that good. He was a decent starter, but was always injured with his backspasms or whatever.

LonghornsLegend
06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
With how Plax played last season he's earned a raise and just to keep the chemistry we should pay him what he's worth.

I agree 100%, he gutted it out last year banged up almost the entire season, and came through with big play after big play last year when you needed it...I was just saying he doesn't have too much leverage being smack in the middle of his contract...Players have a little more leverage towards the end of a deal but where is is now, he has to hope he gets a raise or play with what he has.

TheGreatEscape
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree 100%, he gutted it out last year banged up almost the entire season, and came through with big play after big play last year when you needed it...I was just saying he doesn't have too much leverage being smack in the middle of his contract...Players have a little more leverage towards the end of a deal but where is is now, he has to hope he gets a raise or play with what he has.

True, but I think the team should reward him for gutting it out last year just to make the statement that people who excell and sacrifice for this team will be rewarded for it.

Turtlepower
06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Without Plax, we wouldn't have beaten Green Bay. Simple as that. =D

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Without Plax, we wouldn't have beaten Green Bay. Simple as that. =D

without plax we wouldve lost a fair amount of games, even if he didnt score he got big plays which lead to scores or shifted the momentum

NY+Giants=NYG
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM
without plax we wouldve lost a fair amount of games, even if he didnt score he got big plays which lead to scores or shifted the momentum

Actually Eli played just as good as Plax. Some of his throws were just perfect. It's virtually impossible defending back shoulder throws, and Eli was doing that all day.

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Actually Eli played just as good as Plax. Some of his throws were just perfect. It's virtually impossible defending back shoulder throws, and Eli was doing that all day.

the type of stuff he did after the catch is what im talking about. Against the Jets, against the Redskins, etc. he is a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

Big_Pete
07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Burress reportedly wants a similar deal to what Terrell Owens is on, $8mil to $9mil a year.

Is he worth that much?

Turtlepower
07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
We just got a lot of cap room. =D

07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Burress reportedly wants a similar deal to what Terrell Owens is on, $8mil to $9mil a year.

Is he worth that much?

Simple Answer : Yeah !

d34ng3l021
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Plax is the ****. Imagine if he actually practiced and worked on timing with Manning. Pretty scary, eh?