PDA

View Full Version : Colleges Thread

Eagles own the NFC East
06-12-2008, 11:52 PM
I know there was one before but its old so I was thinking of starting a new one. A thread for people to talk about what college they are going to, what college they went to and what there experience was like and what to expect and can give out advice, or for high school students at me just starting to look at colleges.

Anyone here a sports management major? I am going to be a junior in high school next year and soon I will start looking at colleges like mid year and I am most likely going to look at a school with a good sports management program. Last year my average was a B/B+ and next year I am going to do a lot better because my math will be easier and I am also in extra curricular programs.

Vikes99ej
06-12-2008, 11:56 PM
This page here can probably help you:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22296&highlight=colleges

Byrd430
06-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Delta State University.

Yeah, you prolly never heard of it unless you just happened to catch us a couple of years ago on ESPN2 in the DIII National Championship (football of course). DSU usually is one of the top teams in baseball and football, and I hear we have one of the best aquatics center in the nation (but I've never been in it...)

I have a 2.35 GPA with two years left til I can get my management degree.

My advice: Just do the work. Party, have fun, but just make sure you do the work and go to class.

I lost my scholarship after the first year because I skipped too many classes, mainly because I couldn't get up at 8AM because I partied til 4AM. Other than that, I slacked up on my work, got behind, and didn't do a good job catching up.

Really wish I had that scholarship now....

MetSox17
06-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Yeah, as ridiculous as it sounds, the best advice i could give anyone going into college is to go to class. You'd be surprised how much you could miss.

I'm almost gonna graduate with my degree in Finance from the University of Texas Pan-American ;)

yourfavestoner
06-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah, as ridiculous as it sounds, the best advice i could give anyone going into college is to go to class. You'd be surprised how much you could miss.

I'm almost gonna graduate with my degree in Finance from the University of Texas Pan-American ;)

I can't agree with you enough. Honestly, just GO TO CLASS, and you'll be perfectly fine. If you don't then you'll suck. Trust me.

TheGreatEscape
06-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Sophomore at UB, yeah go BULLS!!!! I hate my school

TheGreatEscape
06-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Are you guys talking about lectures or recitations? Cause I'd argue there are plenty of lectures where you won't learn anything much and the little you do learn you could've gotten through reading through the slides and then harrassing your prof.

yourfavestoner
06-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Are you guys talking about lectures or recitations? Cause I'd argue there are plenty of lectures where you won't learn anything much and the little you do learn you could've gotten through reading through the slides and then harrassing your prof.

Well ya, but my I had a chronic attendance problem. Ya dig?

MetSox17
06-13-2008, 01:28 AM

Well for those of us that are actually past the basics, all lectures are important.

d34ng3l021
06-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Going to class helps alot. I usually attend class and only do homework. I dont do the usual recommended reading. Its one of the other: 1. do the reading regularly 2. go to class. This is of course if you want a good grade and all.

TheGreatEscape
06-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Well ya, but my I had a chronic attendance problem. Ya dig?

Depends on the class, I didn't show up to a single lecture for either of m chems and still got a b and an a thanks to powerpoints and labs.

Well for those of us that are actually past the basics, all lectures are important.

Aren't most people on here just entering college, so wouldn't they all be about to face the basics, if so why give them advice on things thye don't have to worry about yet. Plus I took one 300 level class and have 2 this coming semester so we'll see how important lectures are in "non-basic" classes.

Byrd430
06-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Aren't most people on here just entering college, so wouldn't they all be about to face the basics, if so why give them advice on things thye don't have to worry about yet. Plus I took one 300 level class and have 2 this coming semester so we'll see how important lectures are in "non-basic" classes.

You also have to get into the habit of going to classes.

Going to the lectures isn't a 100% surefire way to pass the class and not going isn't 100% going to fail you.

I don't have many, if any, friends in college and I don't ask for help from anybody but my closest homeboys (none of who are in college, two didn't even graduate high school). So going to lectures is vital for me as far as finding out dates as well as getting the information.

I've noticed a HUGE difference in grades when not attending classes (1.94 GPA, academic probation, lost scholarship) and attending classes (from 1.94 to 2.35 in just one year, off academic probation, 2 A's and 2 B's in my last semester with harder classes).

litlharsh
06-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Advice: do well junior year. I had my poorest academic year Junior year with like 3 B's in both semesters and I really think it hurt me. I had a 3.8 or something unweighted gpa overall but that really hurt for the top colleges like Rice I wanted to go to.

I'll be a freshman at Georgia Tech next year though. Any specific questions ask away brah, I'm sure everyone would be available to help. Oh and my friend was looking into Sports Business and Michigan was one of the only schools that offers this major. Personally I think it's a fairly worthless major, I urge you to broaden your view.

jayceheathman
06-13-2008, 02:41 AM

I am taking Finance in summer school and wow there are a lot of formulas. These things get massive too.

Its been said but just going to class and remotely paying attention will at least get you a C. They will say enough questions and give you hints of questions for exams during class. I think college is easier than high school. You have a lot more homework but you will only have a couple of classes a day depending on how you make your schedule. I was done by 10:20am last semester on most days. I dont know how I ever woke up at 6:30 to be at class before the 7:25 bell rang during high school. 9:30 is now early for me.

MetSox17
06-13-2008, 02:47 AM
I am taking Finance in summer school and wow there are a lot of formulas. These things get massive too.

Its been said but just going to class and remotely paying attention will at least get you a C. They will say enough questions and give you hints of questions for exams during class. I think college is easier than high school. You have a lot more homework but you will only have a couple of classes a day depending on how you make your schedule. I was done by 10:20am last semester on most days. I dont know how I ever woke up at 6:30 to be at class before the 7:25 bell rang during high school. 9:30 is now early for me.

Yep, well when you major in it, you have to take about 9 Finance classes, plus all your accounting ones. It's a b*tch.

jayceheathman
06-13-2008, 02:59 AM
Yep, well when you major in it, you have to take about 9 Finance classes, plus all your accounting ones. It's a b*tch.

Accounting sucks. I hated those classes. We are at the part of trying to determine the coupon rate and the value of bonds when you are given the maturity value and required rate of return. This formula sucks. Its huge.

LonghornsLegend
06-13-2008, 03:30 AM
I can't agree with you enough. Honestly, just GO TO CLASS, and you'll be perfectly fine. If you don't then you'll suck. Trust me.

I think everybody can vouch for that, I can remember too many semesters where I was basically a ghost in class, would sleep in all morning and miss class like it was nothing, and my grades were terrible, but when I actually got focused enough to start making every single class it made things alot easier on myself, some people are just more determined to go then others...I would of had my 1st degree 2 years ago if I had known all that.

Recently I was just offered a job working for my school Texas Wesleyan that would have me working in the student services department and they would give me free tuition and free room and board, so I think thats going to make me finish up here...I had planned on finishing at Univ. of Texas at Arlington but if they are going to pay for everything I'll take that route versus paying off loans forever...Its a private college also so the cost is ridiculous, twice that of UTA, so hopefully the degree is held in the same regards...I'll be starting law school in a year I believe and Wesleyan has its own law school branch so I'll stick it out here and maybe they pay for that too.

I'd also suggest community college, or a smaller school for alot of people straight out of HS, I was stubborn and didn't want to do it because it wouldn't be as fun or as many girls, but the classes are probably easier, more help from the professors, and it gets you acclomated into the college life...I jumped into Univ of Houston and was nowhere near ready, they didn't take roll so I had no intentions on making classes, screwed up my gpa to where I'm still trying to recover to this day...Of course that was just me, but if you do have lazy habits or poor work habits like I did, a smaller school isn't that bad for a year...Not only that, if your gpa isn't high enough to go where you want out of HS, just get a 3.0 at whatever community college you go to and you should get accepted pretty easy after that.

MetSox17
06-13-2008, 03:34 AM
I'd also suggest community college, or a smaller school for alot of people straight out of HS, I was stubborn and didn't want to do it because it wouldn't be as fun or as many girls, but the classes are probably easier, more help from the professors, and it gets you acclomated into the college life...I jumped into Univ of Houston and was nowhere near ready, they didn't take roll so I had no intentions on making classes, screwed up my gpa to where I'm still trying to recover to this day...Of course that was just me, but if you do have lazy habits or poor work habits like I did, a smaller school isn't that bad for a year...Not only that, if your gpa isn't high enough to go where you want out of HS, just get a 3.0 at whatever community college you go to and you should get accepted pretty easy after that.

I feel you here brother. I never felt there was incentive on showing up to class, so i didn't go most of the time, my freshman year. Boy did i suffer. Also, i'd recommend if you get bored in class easily, to spread your classes around throughout the whole week. For example, take three classes MWF, then two TR. That way you're only in class for a short amount of time, and you don't gete bored and frustrated and feel like just going home before you're done.

LonghornsLegend
06-13-2008, 03:36 AM
Advice: do well junior year. I had my poorest academic year Junior year with like 3 B's in both semesters and I really think it hurt me. I had a 3.8 or something unweighted gpa overall but that really hurt for the top colleges like Rice I wanted to go to.

I'll be a freshman at Georgia Tech next year though. Any specific questions ask away brah, I'm sure everyone would be available to help. Oh and my friend was looking into Sports Business and Michigan was one of the only schools that offers this major. Personally I think it's a fairly worthless major, I urge you to broaden your view.

Yea I don't know many schools that offer that either, I'm sure their are, but I checked my area, and outside of UT I didn't find many(hence the theme, large prominent colleges like UM and UT would carry this major)...It's a good idea like you said to broaden it out some, with this degree, you need to know 100% its what you want to do because you don't have alot of options or flexibility with it once you graduate...Thats why you see alot of people major in business or communications because you can take those into alot of different career paths.

I'm majoring in communications for those same reasons, I just want to get my masters before I'm 30 and make up for all the time I wasted.

LonghornsLegend
06-13-2008, 03:40 AM
I feel you here brother. I never felt there was incentive on showing up to class, so i didn't go most of the time, my freshman year. Boy did i suffer. Also, i'd recommend if you get bored in class easily, to spread your classes around throughout the whole week. For example, take three classes MWF, then two TR. That way you're only in class for a short amount of time, and you don't gete bored and frustrated and feel like just going home before you're done.

Yea definately, how you schedule your classes is oh so important...I can't go too early or I won't go/get up, I can't go too late because I might be sleep in the middle of the day, If I start around 10 and finish around noon I'm cool with that, but I know alot of people who cram alot of hours into one semester and I just can't do it...I'd rather take my time with my 15 hrs a semester(or whatever it is) and focusing on a high gpa more so then a decent gpa with more credits...I also can't spread classes apart, at least for me, I can't have gaps, like class, break, then class, I need to just go to all my classes lol...Leaves too much room for error or to get lazy, if I go back to back I'll make sure I go, I love my sleep too much in the mornings.

MetSox17
06-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Yea definately, how you schedule your classes is oh so important...I can't go too early or I won't go/get up, I can't go too late because I might be sleep in the middle of the day, If I start around 10 and finish around noon I'm cool with that, but I know alot of people who cram alot of hours into one semester and I just can't do it...I'd rather take my time with my 15 hrs a semester(or whatever it is) and focusing on a high gpa more so then a decent gpa with more credits...I also can't spread classes apart, at least for me, I can't have gaps, like class, break, then class, I need to just go to all my classes lol...Leaves too much room for error or to get lazy, if I go back to back I'll make sure I go, I love my sleep too much in the mornings.

Yeah, sadly, i never had any guidance that early in my school career. One time, i thought i could handle a 16 hour course-load JUST on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with a lab on Wednesdays.

For those that don't know, that's five, hour and a half classes, all right after each other. It was horrible. I swear, there was only about three days the whole semester where i actually went to all five on a given day. It was the most horrible experience ive had to date, and i got 4 F's and a D. I quit on three classes and never showed up to the other two. I had to re-take all the classes again, so it didn't hurt my GPA as much, but i was spinning my wheel in circles for about a year and a half.

djp
06-13-2008, 03:59 AM
College is awesome

Bills2083
06-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Do Colleges care if you take AP courses in High School?
I am taking AP English, AP US History, French C1, and Math 4H (I pretty much skipped a year in Math).

Will this affect what colleges accept me?

CJSchneider
06-13-2008, 07:22 AM
NSU
Northwestern State University
Rightfull home of "Chief Caddo"
"Fork 'em Demons - Fork 'em all"

http://www.nsula.edu/

I majored in Health and Human Performance; double minor in Computer Literacy and Military Science. I was in the Army for 4 years before I started college (which I'm glad I did) and was already engaged when I entered, so I didn't "Rush" any frats or chase any women. (but if you are young and single - I suggest you go through it). Craig Nall went to NSU my senior year.

Brent
06-13-2008, 07:37 AM
I attend Texas A&M. I should have graduated in May but I have transfered around before coming here. I graduate in December and in the Spring I will be doing teaching certification. I am an English major on the Rhetoric track (it's one of three ENGL degrees offered here).

Jimmy
06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm looking at Syracuse, Rice, Elon, University of Tampa, and of course, good old UCLA

Brent
06-13-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm looking at Syracuse, Rice, Elon, University of Tampa, and of course, good old UCLA
wouldn't it be cheapest to stay in state? it isnt like UConn is a bad school.

TimD
06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
I graduate today! Then its off to Penn State

Or Moyal
06-13-2008, 08:10 AM
I went to community college for my first two years, working part-time and saving money. This fall I'm transferring to UNT (Broadcasting Journalism/Music, as obscure a combination as that may be) and I'm totally in the clear financially.

Brent
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Broadcasting Journalism/Music
that's a good school for both of those. I almost went and majored in music but realized that I would get no where with that.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-13-2008, 11:17 AM

I am thinking about Syracuse and Elon as possibilites, are they hard schools to get into? My sister got into Elon but it was her safety.

Vikes99ej
06-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Drinking is awesome

Fixed it for you.

litlharsh
06-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Rice is a fantastic school man, good luck with that (and MUCH better luck than me!). It's heads above the others you mentioned in terms of academics.

Brent
06-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Rice is a fantastic school man, good luck with that (and MUCH better luck than me!). It's heads above the others you mentioned in terms of academics.
getting into Rice is as hard to get into as MIT, unless you play sports.

awfullyquiet
06-13-2008, 12:36 PM

MIT isn't even THAT hard.

litlharsh
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM

I know man, tell me about it. I did all the interviews and everything lol, it was totally my number one school and they straightaway rejected me. I got into Northwestern but not Rice. pwned.

edit: uhhh yeh MIT is pretty tough brah

edit2: oh you're saying Rice is tougher than MIT? I'd say that's kinda a stretch

Staubach12
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm going to be a Journalism Major most likely, minoring in Creative Writing or some kind of English.

Anyway, all that being said, I have three colleges in mind right now:

UTK
It has a very competitive Journalism department, but I'm confident in my abilities. Also, it's a party school, which will be great. Plus, I'm sure several of my friends will go there.

MTSU
Good English Dept, good parties (from what I've heard). Closer to home, too. And some friends will go there.

Western Kentucky
Good English Dept, and that's about all I know.

Memphis
I like the location, but I don't know much about it.

Any info on any of these schools would be great.

litlharsh
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
**** my mom actually signed up for that US News and World Report College rankings but her pass expired otherwise I totally would've posted it up here for all you guys. Yeh I'm a nerd.

edit: Oh it works! This place is a gold mine guys has rankings for everything let me change the password one sec

edit2: on second thought, just pm me if you want it.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-13-2008, 01:11 PM
**** my report card came and it wasn't as good as i thought. My average this trimester was only an 85 and my average for the year was an 83 god dammit. Junior year means the most for colleges right? It should definitely be my best year because I will be taking Algebra 2 rather then geometry which I will probably be much better at and I won't have a ****** in grading for an English teacher.

jayceheathman
06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I know man, tell me about it. I did all the interviews and everything lol, it was totally my number one school and they straightaway rejected me. I got into Northwestern but not Rice. pwned.

edit: uhhh yeh MIT is pretty tough brah

edit2: oh you're saying Rice is tougher than MIT? I'd say that's kinda a stretch

In Houston, Rice's nickname is "The Harvard of the South." Its incredibly tough to get into unless you are awesome at baseball.

yourfavestoner
06-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I suggest going to a school in San Diego to everyone. SDSU, UCSD, USD it doesn't matter. It's the best place to live in America.

LonghornsLegend
06-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm going to be a Journalism Major most likely, minoring in Creative Writing or some kind of English.

Anyway, all that being said, I have three colleges in mind right now:

UTK
It has a very competitive Journalism department, but I'm confident in my abilities. Also, it's a party school, which will be great. Plus, I'm sure several of my friends will go there.

MTSU
Good English Dept, good parties (from what I've heard). Closer to home, too. And some friends will go there.

Western Kentucky
Good English Dept, and that's about all I know.

Memphis
I like the location, but I don't know much about it.

Any info on any of these schools would be great.

If you are thinking of out of state I'd recommend Missouri and Univ of Houston, I believe both are #1 and #2 in the nation as far as their creative writing department, whenever thats the case their English dept isn't far off, I looked at both because CW was my major and that was why I chose U of H once I got accepted, my Hs grades were decent, I believe a 2.8 and around a 1000 or so on the SAT, nothing special, but their guidelines for acceptance weren't too bad.

kwilk103
06-13-2008, 07:41 PM
princetonreview.com

free to sign up

rankings on everything from campuses, food, education, sports, parties

rankings are based on student surveys; also read student reviews on schools

also has stuff like % females/males, diversity, student:teacher ratio, min/max act/sat, etc

Brent
06-13-2008, 09:13 PM
oh you're saying Rice is tougher than MIT? I'd say that's kinda a stretch
No, it's basically a fact. Rice rejected my high school's valedictorian and salutatorian but both got into/attend MIT.

Byrd430
06-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I really wish I could afford to go to a top college. It was my lifelong (that is about a 3 year-dream) to go to U of Florida. Or any D1 school... I wanted to soooo soooo bad.

And I got stuck staying in town at a D3 college. Don't get me wrong, my education is still important, and it will get me places that people from my town don't get to. But nonetheless... Gainesville would've been great....

litlharsh
06-13-2008, 10:18 PM
No, it's basically a fact. Rice rejected my high school's valedictorian and salutatorian but both got into/attend MIT.

haha that's insane

keylime_5
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I go to gamecock u, columbia,sc:

http://www.americasbestonline.net/south%20carolina1.jpg

Hines
06-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I suggest going to a school in San Diego to everyone. SDSU, UCSD, USD it doesn't matter. It's the best place to live in America.

I am thinking about going to SDSU for Sports Management in two years after my time in community college. I wanna stay close to home, but out of state. Depends on if they accept me though.

litlharsh
06-14-2008, 12:44 AM
SDSU is a great school. Isn't ASU fairly good for business and things like that though?

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I guess there are no sports management majors I could talk to?

adschofield
06-14-2008, 01:04 AM

UCLA is the hardest school in the nation to get into if you live outside Cali

jayceheathman
06-14-2008, 01:15 AM

NMSU has a golf management degree. I dont know why chose that sport but a kid in one of my classes came here from NY just for that.

brat316
06-14-2008, 01:15 AM
I am an Mechanical Engineer at TEMPLE UNIVERSITY. Yes we suck at football but we are making our way back up. We are not as bad as the late 90s Rutgers team.

djp
06-14-2008, 01:57 AM

There really aren't many of those because you generally also need some sort of Law degree if you want to be successful.

I looked into it hard after HS but found out that I would need about 7-8 years of college before I got a legit job in the business.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 12:41 PM
So after going to a 4 year college you go to law school? For a lot of jobs you need to go to some sort of graduate school and it usually pays off. Did you talk to someone about it or something because I am very interested in the field.

Primetime21
06-14-2008, 01:27 PM
So after going to a 4 year college you go to law school? For a lot of jobs you need to go to some sort of graduate school and it usually pays off. Did you talk to someone about it or something because I am very interested in the field.

I have read a little about becoming a sports agent(if that what your talking about) and you get a bachelor degree in something like Sociology/Prelaw/ anything law related then get accepted into a law school. Choose Sports Management courses and be consumed by books for the next 3+ years.

I am very interested in law school but cant ever find a very good website or anything it. Legally Blonde is basically my best source of info on law school.

Don Vito
06-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I go to Ole Miss and I love it, finished up my freshman year a month ago.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I have read a little about becoming a sports agent(if that what your talking about) and you get a bachelor degree in something like Sociology/Prelaw/ anything law related then get accepted into a law school. Choose Sports Management courses and be consumed by books for the next 3+ years.

I am very interested in law school but cant ever find a very good website or anything it. Legally Blonde is basically my best source of info on law school.

Are you in high school?

Primetime21
06-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Are you in high school?

16/m/ID.....

MetSox17
06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
16/m/ID.....

Lol, wow, i haven't seen or done anything like that since the Yahoo! Chat days..

LonghornsLegend
06-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Actually if your going for a sports agent(which I am) your Bachelor's degree isn't all that important, as far as what your degree is in...If you get your masters in sports management it will probably do less for you if thats the area your seeking, that is unless you take it at one of the prominent Univ's in the country; Univ. of Texas, Michigan, SDSU, tOSU, schools like those.

You almost want to look at Law School if thats your area, because it puts you with the cream of the crop...Taking sports law provides you with in depth looks at anti trust laws, contracts, labor, things a sports management degree doesn't dive into as much...As far as your bachelors, I've found it more useful to get a degree in Communications( because those are skills you need, you need to sell yourself to your clients and be interview saavy, also you will do alot of public speaking when you have clients, if your not familiar with that or its not a strength being an agent will be tough, thus why I recommend that field), or Business Management( basically these skills will help you set up an agency on your own, being an agent you really make the money once you have your own firm).

I've read Drew Rosenhaus' auto-biography before and I'd recommend that to anyone thinking about that field, gives you an in depth look of how much work it is and some of the steps you need to take to get you headed in the right direction...There really is no standard guidelines of rules or steps to get you headed in that direction, just some are more resourceful then others.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 02:15 PM
16/m/ID.....

Yeah I'm 16 to.

Hines
06-14-2008, 03:13 PM
SDSU is a great school. Isn't ASU fairly good for business and things like that though?

It is, but I want to kinda go out of state and do Sports Management, not just regular business. ASU is up in my list though.

yourfavestoner
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
There really aren't many of those because you generally also need some sort of Law degree if you want to be successful.

I looked into it hard after HS but found out that I would need about 7-8 years of college before I got a legit job in the business.

Exactly. I was thinking about taking it, but it's pretty much a bunk major. It's better to major in something else and get a minor in Sports Management. Some schools (like SDSU) also only offer it as a two years master program after you've already gotten a Bachelor in another field.

kwilk103
06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
yea, im looking to go to the sports agent route

i need to boost my gpa by .3 to qualify for law school but, i have some classes to retake to help that; plus im basically done with all the required electives

take pol. sci classes too

i would have had like 3.5-3.8 this semester, but i had the flu the week of 3 tests and couldnt study at all; got a d in the pol sci class, but still finished with a 3.0; i was not happy

Hines
06-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Stupid question, but why do you need to be in law for a Sports Management job or degree?

saintsfan912
06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I was a Sports Management major in college, its basically useless so I dropped it after a few years. Its mainly for Camp Directors and things like that, not much has to do with main stream sports. Didn't realize that until my Soph year. I was going to be a sports agent before I realized you pretty much have to have a law degree to be successful.

saintsfan912
06-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Stupid question, but why do you need to be in law for a Sports Management job or degree?

You don't HAVE to have a law degree for a Sports Management job. Sports Management isn't what you think it is. It's a pretty crappy degree/major.

Hines
06-14-2008, 05:16 PM
You don't HAVE to have a law degree for a Sports Management job. Sports Management isn't what you think it is. It's a pretty crappy degree/major.

So it is not like agencies or stuff like that? What exactly does it do?

draftguru151
06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Finished my freshman year in mechanical engineering at UCF about 2 months ago.

saintsfan912
06-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Basically nothing. I had a few management courses and 2 finance courses in my curriculum. The rest were basic English, History, Math, and a few Science courses. This was a few years ago so it could be different now but it was mainly for camp directors, arena/stadium front office jobs, things like that. Nothing that really has to do with the player aspect of sports. I wanted to be either a GM or Agent and it was useless for either of those professions. It may be different for different schools, might want to speak to the Department Head of Kinesiology, or whatever deparment the Sports Management major is in, to find out what kind of careers are associated with that degree.

On a side note, I had an internship lined up for my senior year with the Hornets. I would be in sales though so nothing close to what I wanted to do. During my Soph year I had a practicum (Kind of like an internship, just at the school) in the Athletic Department of my school. Was underneath the Marketing/Media director. Was kinda cool because I got to sit at the media table for basketball games and in the press box for football games and baseball games. I wrote alot of the articles in the school newpaper and media guide, of course the director took all the credit haha.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Basically nothing. I had a few management courses and 2 finance courses in my curriculum. The rest were basic English, History, Math, and a few Science courses. This was a few years ago so it could be different now but it was mainly for camp directors, arena/stadium front office jobs, things like that. Nothing that really has to do with the player aspect of sports. I wanted to be either a GM or Agent and it was useless for either of those professions. It may be different for different schools, might want to speak to the Department Head of Kinesiology, or whatever deparment the Sports Management major is in, to find out what kind of careers are associated with that degree.

On a side note, I had an internship lined up for my senior year with the Hornets. I would be in sales though so nothing close to what I wanted to do. During my Soph year I had a practicum (Kind of like an internship, just at the school) in the Athletic Department of my school. Was underneath the Marketing/Media director. Was kinda cool because I got to sit at the media table for basketball games and in the press box for football games and baseball games. I wrote alot of the articles in the school newpaper and media guide, of course the director took all the credit haha.

So if I wanted to pursue a career such as being an Agent or working for a professional sports team, Sports Management isn't the major to take?

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Description of Sports Management major from princetonreview.com

http://princetonreview.com/college/research/majors/majorBasics.asp?majorID=440

Major: Sports Management

Basics

Like to be down in front—courtside, ringside, or on the sidelines at the 50-yard line? If you’re not game to be a player, mascot, or coach, you can still catch all the action up close and personal as manager of the team. Sports management lets you participate in—and cash in on—the exciting world of sports from a business standpoint. In this major, you’ll learn about sports themselves (perhaps focusing on one or two in particular) plus the psychological principles at work behind them and how sports fit into our society. But you’ll also gain a strong foundation of knowledge in the field of business, examining how the worlds of business and sports interact and how you can make those interactions more profitable and beneficial for every person and interest involved.

The way we think of sports has drastically changed over the years; these days few people would say that a sport is “just a game.” Indeed, sports provide serious entertainment and big business in this country, and sports managers are crucial to ensuring that the players, fans, coaches, and financial backers coexist peacefully. (Or, as close to peacefully as possible.) You’ll learn how to market sports effectively and how to plan events, diving into the areas of sports publicity, coaching, and administration. An interdisciplinary field, sports management encompasses elements of economics, accounting, marketing, psychology, law, and communications.

Students who major in sports management go on to pursue careers as agents, managers, publicists, and many other positions in the sports industry. Sports management is a broad field, and the knowledge you acquire about both business and sports makes for a whole arena of action-packed possibilities.

saintsfan912
06-14-2008, 05:37 PM
In my opinion you would be better off with a Sports Management minor and a major in Management or Finance. That way you have the background associated with managing a client and his finances. Again, alot has to do with the school.

Scotty D
06-14-2008, 05:39 PM
I majored in Entertainment and Sports Management my freshman year. It really is a pretty bad major. Its better to get a major that could apply to everything and try to get into that field a la marketing or advertising.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah I still got plenty of time to decide but thanks for the advice, what college did you go to or went to? I think you are right with what you are saying because I have looked up a lot of biographies are GM's and executives and a lot of them didn't major in Sports Management.

saintsfan912
06-14-2008, 05:54 PM
I went to Southeastern Louisiana University. Kind of a small school, has around 12,000 students I think. It is mainly a teacher's school and has a real good nursing program, thats about it. I got accepted to LSU but decided not to go when SLU offered more money and was a smaller campus. Also getting from one class to another at LSU in 10 minutes is virtually impossible unless you had a bike and I didn't want to be one of those bikers in college. Looking back though, I definitely should have taken LSU's offer, maybe I would have taken college more seriously.

kwilk103
06-14-2008, 06:41 PM
a lot of sports agents are lawyers---its mainly dealing with contracts

to get into law school it doesnt matter what your major is

scottyboy
06-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I may major in law and minor in sports management. I really wanna major in Sports management, but idk. Sports really is my life, so I really want to work in sports, whether it be an agent, front office, columnist, or scout

Eagles own the NFC East
06-15-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah I am pursuing a carer working for a profesional team like as an executive or whatever rather then becoming an agent, would sports management still be the right major and would I still go to law school for that.

Eaglez.Fan
06-15-2008, 10:42 AM
But a law degree would limit you to a sports agent wouldn't it?

I doubt being a lawyer would qualify you to become a front office guy in a major sports team. They really have nothing to do with each other. Let alone wasting all that time and money.

And I really think that as long as you are smart you'll go somewhere in that field whether you have a law degree, psychology degree, or sports management degree. As long as your educated it seems like you'll get a chance.

kwilk103
06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
yea, but a law degree is nice to fall back on

as someone else said, a sports management degree is kinda useless

Eaglez.Fan
06-15-2008, 11:53 AM
yea, but a law degree is nice to fall back on

as someone else said, a sports management degree is kinda useless

It is but not everyone wants to be a lawyer, I personally have no interest in being a lawyer and the only reason I'd get a law degree is if it led me to something else. But if you don't want to be a sports agent anymore (eagles own the nfc east) then getting a law degree would be a huge waste of time and money IMO.

kwilk103
06-15-2008, 11:59 AM
It is but not everyone wants to be a lawyer, I personally have no interest in being a lawyer and the only reason I'd get a law degree is if it led me to something else. But if you don't want to be a sports agent anymore (eagles own the nfc east) then getting a law degree would be a huge waste of time and money IMO.

i was just sayin if someones lookin to go the sports agent route; most of them are lawyers

so, if it doesnt work out, you have that to fall back on as opposed to a sports management degree

scottyboy
06-15-2008, 03:13 PM
what do you need for scouting and such? that's my preferred or dream goal, becomming an NFL scout.

yourfavestoner
06-15-2008, 03:21 PM
what do you need for scouting and such? that's my preferred or dream goal, becomming an NFL scout.

Start coaching. ASAP.

Brent
06-15-2008, 03:28 PM
whatever college you go to, if it has a football team, try to get an internship as an assistant to a coach (i.e. coffee b*tch) or try to be a student manager. you just have to get a foot in the door.

scottyboy
06-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Start coaching. ASAP.

well I plan on attending RU(obviously) so it'd be kinda hard to start I think. There is a website that's all about sports management that offers courses that I plan to take

kwilk103
06-15-2008, 04:32 PM

connections??

scottyboy
06-15-2008, 04:39 PM
connections??

not really. I mean I've got my aunt who's involved with alot of players. My best bet would probably be a sports agent. My aunts best client(travel agent) is Jessie Armstead who just signed on with Rosenhaus, so who knows what that could lead to?

MetSox17
06-15-2008, 05:12 PM
not really. I mean I've got my aunt who's involved with alot of players. My best bet would probably be a sports agent. My aunts best client(travel agent) is Jessie Armstead who just signed on with Rosenhaus, so who knows what that could lead to?

Obviously you would need to know the sport very well, probably have coached it at some level or been involved with it. Obviously if you know people, as Kwilk mentioned, it would be better.

kwilk103
06-15-2008, 05:21 PM
thats what i meant by connections; im assuming a lot of scouts are either former players/coaches/etc or knew someone

like my cousins wife is a lawyer and she knows the best sports agent in philly and when i graduate she'd set up a meeting with him; so i got that goin for me

badgerbacker
06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
thats what i meant by connections; im assuming a lot of scouts are either former players/coaches/etc or knew someone

like my cousins wife is a lawyer and she knows the best sports agent in philly and when i graduate she'd set up a meeting with him; so i got that goin for me
You shouldn't wait until you graduate. You should talk to him as soon as possible if you can and maybe you can get some sort of internship.

kwilk103
06-15-2008, 05:34 PM
You shouldn't wait until you graduate. You should talk to him as soon as possible if you can and maybe you can get some sort of internship.

she said go to law school first, cuz i asked about that

neko4
06-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Anybody know a site that shows what the average GPA is for incoming freshmen during highschool to certain schools?
Ive been to one before but i cant remember it

Brent
06-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Anybody know a site that shows what the average GPA is for incoming freshmen during highschool to certain schools?
why do you want to know?

kwilk103
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM

princetonreview.com

has everything----rankings, gpa, act/sat scores needed; demographics, enrollment #s, cost, student reviews, etc

Eagles own the NFC East
06-15-2008, 10:36 PM

I got good connections to, one of my best friends who lives in Long Island has a step dad whose the biggest attorney in Long Island and got his brother an internship with the Yankees.

In a week or so I am going to talk to my Dad's friends son who is a sports management major at South Florida and learn about the details.

Anyone know anything about UNLV and University of Oregon? Hard schools to get into?

ChiSox219
06-15-2008, 10:48 PM
I got good connections to, one of my best friends who lives in Long Island has a step dad whose the biggest attorney in Long Island and got his brother an internship with the Yankees.

In a week or so I am going to talk to my Dad's friends son who is a sports management major at South Florida and learn about the details.

Anyone know anything about UNLV and University of Oregon? Hard schools to get into?

I know UO isnt too tough to get into, but other than the football games i havent heard too many good things.

I just finished my sophomore year at the University of Illinois and it was a blast, especially first semester with the football team. Then i f'ed up second semester and stopped going to a class for over a month when participation counted. I got a B+ on the mid-term and a "B" on the final yet the dude failed fail for not showing up, which is total BS

Eagles own the NFC East
06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
What about schools like University of Memphis and University of Tampa hard to get into?

ChiSox219
06-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I know someone at Tampa, he was about average in our class, so I'd say 3.0 with a reasonable ACT/SAT is a sure thing.

I would recommend looking at some smaller schools. Its great having major sports teams and the party scene but it sucks in the classroom.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah I was thinking about smaller schools at first to but it doesn't look good for the major I am pursuing as it would at a bigger school.

Thats good news with Tampa because I am basically like that kid you know in terms of academics except a little better because I know I am going to do really well Junior year and I have varsity letters and extracurriculars.

Vikes99ej
06-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know what major being a personal trainer would be under?

saintsfan912
06-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Well anything that has to do with physical fitness/health/athletics was in the Kiniseology department. There are a ton of different majors there, just depends on the school most of the time.

kwilk103
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM

exercise physiology?

Eagles own the NFC East
06-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I have been doing research and I think it depends on the school and its program if Sports Management is a legit program. Saw on the web that Oregon has the best program in the country which wants me to go there and should help that my dad went there for graduate school.

brat316
06-17-2008, 12:52 AM

yeha my weight training teacher is doing that and getting his master in something else, actually personal trainer doesn't need to go to school helps but doens't need to. All you do is get a certificate that says you can do it. You got to read a lot of books and know the muscle groups and stuff.

Better thing to do is Physiology in Kenisology major, or a Kenisology major and then go to grad school. Also along the line pick up the personal trainer certificate. By going to school you can be come a athletic trainer and personal trainer.

My weight training teacher is trying to become a strength and conditioning trainer, he just got his personal trainer certi. He majored in physiology in Kenisology, and now is getting his masters. He is going to go to Arizona and work a that place where Jack Long trainned and go to school at ASU

Eagles own the NFC East
06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
bumping this thread...

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/350053-sports-management-major.html

this should help for others like myself pursuing sports management.

scottyboy
06-20-2008, 08:37 PM
bumping this thread...

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/350053-sports-management-major.html

this should help for others like myself pursuing sports management.

OMFG!!!! YESSSSS you don't know how happy that makes me that Rutgers does offer Sports management as a major. that's my dream. Major in sports management at Rutgers. That really just made my day

Eagles own the NFC East
06-21-2008, 12:10 AM
you could have just went on their website and looked it up there.

kalbears13
06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I just got accepted into a college. Now I have to think about switching...

TimD
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
OMFG!!!! YESSSSS you don't know how happy that makes me that Rutgers does offer Sports management as a major. that's my dream. Major in sports management at Rutgers. That really just made my day

now you just need to find a future pro lol

SuperKevin
07-05-2008, 01:58 PM
As much as it pains me to say this, i just enrolled to take classes with the LSU Distance Education program. I'm officially a LSU Tiger

Beans
07-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm looking into U of Cincinnati the most, followed by Penn State. Lookin to do graphic design.

fischbowl
07-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm looking into U of Cincinnati the most, followed by Penn State. Lookin to do graphic design.

The Penn State application process is crap. I guarantee you'll be set off on another campus, not Happy Valley

JF4
07-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Guelph Gryphons ftmfw!

jayceheathman
07-06-2008, 12:57 AM
I know someone at Tampa, he was about average in our class, so I'd say 3.0 with a reasonable ACT/SAT is a sure thing.

I would recommend looking at some smaller schools. Its great having major sports teams and the party scene but it sucks in the classroom.

Thats true, but a degree from a bigger university would look better if you had the same GPA. It just depends on how much studying you want to do.

kwilk103
07-06-2008, 01:08 AM
a lot of people from my hs class go to small schools (d2/3), they said b/c you get more attention with the small class

i disagree with that; at wvu, i most of my classes are around 35-45; my spanish had around 20, and my english class had around 15

now, my bio and poli sci classes had 200-250; still the prof were easy to get a hold of and returned emails quickly (same day or next morning); had office hours 2 dys a week or by appointment, plus you could see them 1-2 hrs before a test

plus, there is free tutoring throughout the week

yourfavestoner
07-06-2008, 04:37 AM
I have been doing research and I think it depends on the school and its program if Sports Management is a legit program. Saw on the web that Oregon has the best program in the country which wants me to go there and should help that my dad went there for graduate school.

NO NO NO NO NO. Do not become a Sports Management major. It is a worthless major.

If you want to do physical therapy you should major in some form of kinesiology.

SuperKevin
07-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Thats true, but a degree from a bigger university would look better if you had the same GPA. It just depends on how much studying you want to do.

Actually the school you get your bachelors degree means very little in the open job market these days. It's all about your post-grad work.

scottyboy
08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
NO NO NO NO NO. Do not become a Sports Management major. It is a worthless major.

If you want to do physical therapy you should major in some form of kinesiology.

thought i'd bump this as I'm applying to college soon.

YFS, why is Sports management a wortless major? just curious?

I'm looking to major in it at RU and minor in law...

brat316
08-27-2008, 05:13 PM
thought i'd bump this as I'm applying to college soon.

YFS, why is Sports management a wortless major? just curious?

I'm looking to major in it at RU and minor in law...

well pretty much what is sports management, you are signing players to represent as almost like a lawyer, but at the same time you have to do accounting work, for massive amounts of money.

Think about it as a player you would want to sing a guy who is a lawyer, that can represent you in almost any problems you have. Reading massive contracts, fine print, money and taxes. You want to help market you player, well than take a marking class. You would want a super agent like Drew R.

Pre-law is the way to go, and try and get some form of business in there and you could minor in Sports management.

jayceheathman
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually the school you get your bachelors degree means very little in the open job market these days. It's all about your post-grad work.

Thats true but its important to your first employer. Obviously someone that got an A at Harvard is going to stand out more. Once you get far into your career they arent going to look at what school you went to anymore and will base their decision on recommendations and your experience.

Punisher
08-27-2008, 05:46 PM

I took Sports Medicine originally in college along with physical education. That can only take you so far. The success of a personal trainer is how you market your services and who you know.

eaglesfan_45
08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm either going to University of Nevada Reno aka UNR aka Nevada Wolfpack or UNLV (no explenation really needed.) I am considering University of Indiana at Bloomington and Ball St. as well, seeing as my whole family is in Indiana and both schools have strong journalism programs. I have to start all this college crap by the middle of this year and begin preparing for college. Senior year I'm loading up on AP classes to get college credits. I am currently in 1 AP class.

kalbears13
09-21-2008, 12:40 AM
So I just found out I got a dorm 2 days before the move in day. I'm moving in tomorrow!

09-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Guelph Gryphons ftmfw!

UTM FTW ! Yeah, I said it. :D

fischbowl
09-21-2008, 03:01 AM
UTM FTW ! Yeah, I said it. :D

Um.....

Ryerson > Guelph > UTM

There I said it

09-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Um.....

Ryerson > Guelph > UTM