PDA

View Full Version : 2009 DTs

Abaddon
06-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Now that the reality has set in and Glen Dorsey really isn't an Oakland Raider, who's out there for the 2009 class?

Pittsburghs_finest
06-18-2008, 12:41 AM
A name to keep an eye on is Ernest "Mick" Williams from Pitt. He is very explosive and should have a huge year. I don't know if he would come out early but the guy is being compared to Warren Sapp. The only concerns with him have been tiny injuries. Last year was his first year healthy and he got better every single game. He looked great in spring ball. I am not saying he is Warren Sapp or a 1st round pick just yet but he is a guy to keep an eye on.

Yatta!
06-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Fili Moala is the top DT next year and a likely top 10 pick, hell I think McShay even had him going first overall in a mock.

I'm not sure there's another 1st round senior but there are a lot of guys in the first day mix and someone could easily step up. Keep an eye on Terrance Taylor, Jeff Owens, Marlon Favourite, Vance Walker, Roy Miller, Demonte Bolden, BJ Raji and Jerry Peria.

However, juniors Senderrick Marks, Al Woods and Demarcus Granger are all likely 1st rounders if they declare.

eaglesalltheway
06-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Next years DT class looks like it could shape up to be as good at the OT class next year. It will certainly be interesting to see how those two (technically as many as 5) positions perform as the year goes on. Right now though, I say the OT class has the DTs beat.

draftguru151
06-18-2008, 08:25 AM
I really liked the little I got to see of Peria Jerry. Big Terrence Taylor fan as well.

Also I think Sen'Derrick Marks is overrated to an extent. He definitely played well last year, but most of it was at DE, seeing him as a top 5/10 pick in some mocks as a DT really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I understand it's a projection, but really it's too much of a projection for me.

SuperKevin
06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Vince Oghobasse of Duke is draft eligible and very likely could declare due to the fact he's set to graduate after this year. I think he's a beast

TheGreatEscape
06-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm a huge Terrance Taylor fan, want the giants to grab him in the first if he has a good year. He's incredibly powerful and will be an impact runstuffer early.

themaninblack
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Georgia has two DTs that could come out this year that are VERY good in Jeff Owens and Geno Atkins. I'm inclined to say Geno might stick around another year but he could definitely be a 2nd-3rd RD pick if he came out this year. I really like him a ton, he is very powerful and has some crazy quickness. He is a big time disruptor in the middle.

eaglesfan_45
06-18-2008, 02:18 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2009DT.php

google is an amazing thing

BaLLiN
06-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm a huge Terrance Taylor fan, want the giants to grab him in the first if he has a good year. He's incredibly powerful and will be an impact runstuffer early.

yes that would be a perfect fit for us

d34ng3l021
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
How about top NT prospects? Falcons could really use one. You think any will establish themselves as top5 picks?

eaglesfan_45
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
How about top NT prospects? Falcons could really use one. You think any will establish themselves as top5 picks?

Al Woods, if he does above average this season he will be drafted highly. He has all the physical tools to be succesful (6'5" 315 lbs)

Paranoidmoonduck
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I have to say that I've been mildly surprised by the Fili Moala love flying around. There was never any doubt when I was watching USC that Ellis was the far better player, but I continue to see him projected to go even higher than Sedrick did.

d34ng3l021
06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Al Woods, if he does above average this season he will be drafted highly. He has all the physical tools to be succesful (6'5" 315 lbs)

I heard that Al Woods isnt even starting...is that true?

eaglesfan_45
06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I have to say that I've been mildly surprised by the Fili Moala love flying around. There was never any doubt when I was watching USC that Ellis was the far better player, but I continue to see him projected to go even higher than Sedrick did.

I don not like Fili Moala, the athleticism isn't there. Ha has stiff in the hips and doesn't have much balance or flexibility. His motor is very inconsistent. He lacks explosion when the ball is snapped. His production is simply average, especially considering he was on the same line of Lawrence Jackson and Sedrick Ellis. He has an unimpressive overall skill set IMO.

Geo
06-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I've got my eye on Vance Walker for the Colts. Hopefully I'll get to see him play quite a bit this year.

TACKLE
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
imo, Vince Oghobaase is the top DT prospect heading into 09. He's got great size at 6'6 310. He can play the NT in the 4-3 and the DE or NT in the 3-4. He is strong and quick but has the production to back it up. As a sophmore, he had 12tfl, 4.5 sacks and 49 tackles. Impressive production for a guy his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Alan Branch. VO has potentialto be an Albert Haynesworth type player. If he has good production this year and tests well, I could see him being a top 10 pick.

Don Vito
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
There are some talented DT prospects in next years class, I am a big fan of Terrance Taylor especially. My favorite prospect at DT is Ole Miss' Peria Jerry, I am biased but I believe he is very underrated and will open some eyes if the Rebels win some games this year. He was a force last year and will anchor a very solid DL this season.

Bengals78
06-18-2008, 05:24 PM
the 09 DT class is one I have been waiting for a long time as a Bengal fan. Solid DTs all over if the Juniors declare. Should be interesting.

BlindSite
06-18-2008, 07:54 PM
This is probably an area the Panthers will have an eye on the next draft too. Lewis is no spring chicken and it remains to be seen if he can be an effective full time starter.

Ma'ake is a good run stopper but he's not a playmaker, he's a good number 2 to a standout.

Hwoarang
06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Fili Moala is the top DT next year and a likely top 10 pick, hell I think McShay even had him going first overall in a mock.

I'm not sure there's another 1st round senior but there are a lot of guys in the first day mix and someone could easily step up. Keep an eye on Terrance Taylor, Jeff Owens, Marlon Favourite, Vance Walker, Roy Miller, Demonte Bolden, BJ Raji and Jerry Peria.

However, juniors Senderrick Marks, Al Woods and Demarcus Granger are all likely 1st rounders if they declare.Again with the Al Woods... This guy is tons better and a1st round pick.

http://media.2theadvocate.com/images/90_lsu_010808.jpeg

But Fili a freak and i'd say top 5. It's a serious slip if he gets out of the top 5.

fischbowl
06-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Vince Oghobasse of Duke is draft eligible and very likely could declare due to the fact he's set to graduate after this year. I think he's a beast

Oghobaase will most definitely declare IMO.

Possible 2-3 round prospect

Cigaro
06-18-2008, 10:47 PM
This is probably an area the Panthers will have an eye on the next draft too. Lewis is no spring chicken and it remains to be seen if he can be an effective full time starter.

Ma'ake is a good run stopper but he's not a playmaker, he's a good number 2 to a standout.

Agreed. We'll either go DT or OG with our first pick.

Don Vito
06-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Is Ricky Jean-Francois playing end or tackle this year? He is another guy to watch out for even if he is playing end, LSU is going to be stacked beyond belief on the DL even after losing a top 5 pick.

'cuse-213
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM

BJ Raji is a tank.

eaglesfan_45
06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Can Terrance Taylor play NT for a 3-4 Team?

Where is Marlon Favorite (LSU DT) projected to be drafted?

TheGreatEscape
06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Can Terrance Taylor play NT for a 3-4 Team?

Where is Marlon Favorite (LSU DT) projected to be drafted?

He's certainly got the power to, and I think his frame is sufficient for the 3-4.

SMoore
06-19-2008, 06:09 PM
BJ Raji is a tank.

I think Raji is probably one of the toughest prospects to project. I don't know if his stock is going to rise back to first-day status, I seriously doubt it can. He could be a steal if he shows the same form he did before and fill out his potential.

Hwoarang
06-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Is Ricky Jean-Francois playing end or tackle this year? He is another guy to watch out for even if he is playing end, LSU is going to be stacked beyond belief on the DL even after losing a top 5 pick.Inside but will line up on the end on certain situations. He gained weight but didn't lose speed or quickness..

Byrd430
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Haven't had much of a chance to really look at this class yet, but I know Ole Miss has a guy Peria Jerry who is 300+ pounds and runs under a 5.0. I really think his stock could soar, especially after he hits the combine.

I'm also wondering how low DeMarcus Granger is gonna fall given his shoplifting charge. He's got some good talent, but teams are passing up on players with off-the-field issues.

Big_Pete
06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Vance Walker is a guy who will shoot up boards if he builds on his junior year.

Last year he has 14 TFL including 8.5 sacks; if he can repeat those kind of numbers he will certainly be in demand.

He is around 6-2, 293 and reportedly can run around 4.87; he could easily excell at workouts

Walker has a good supporting cast at Georgia Tech with fellow DT Darryl Richard (6-3, 290) and DE Michael Johnson (6-7, 256) both being excellent prospects in their own right.

TACKLE
06-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Vance Walker is a guy who will shoot up boards if he builds on his junior year.

Last year he has 14 TFL including 8.5 sacks; if he can repeat those kind of numbers he will certainly be in demand.

He is around 6-2, 293 and reportedly can run around 4.87; he could easily excell at workouts

Walker has a good supporting cast at Georgia Tech with fellow DT Darryl Richard (6-3, 290) and DE Michael Johnson (6-7, 256) both being excellent prospects in their own right.

I like Vance Walker a lot. He is a great penetrator and a really good fit as a UT in a 4-3. If he can repeat his production and can prove himself against the run, I could see him being a Top 15-20 pick.

SuperKevin
06-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Best DL the ACC has seen since Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo all went in the 1st round

TheIncredibleDraftDude
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I dont see why the teams dont just put 3 nt's up front in the 3-4.. = All blockers occupied. and then put 2 speed rushers at OLB. This should grant u a sack of the passing plays. But then I remmember that nfl coaches are friggin boring!

themaninblack
06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I just noticed you're from Europe. Its all starting to make sense....

SuperKevin
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I dont see why the teams dont just put 3 nt's up front in the 3-4.. = All blockers occupied. and then put 2 speed rushers at OLB. This should grant u a sack of the passing plays. But then I remmember that nfl coaches are friggin boring!

I don't know why you haven't been banned yet. You have no knowledge of football whatsoever

TheBuffaloBills
06-20-2008, 02:00 PM

I would love to see all the groundbreaking schemes you would come up with if you were head coach.

Staubach12
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Al Woods is absolutely going to explode this year. While not as athletic, he has a bigger frame and eats up a bit more space than Dorsey. I expect him to be a top-20 pick this year if he declares, higher if he stays.

eaglesfan_45
06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Al Woods is absolutely going to explode this year. While not as athletic, he has a bigger frame and eats up a bit more space than Dorsey. I expect him to be a top-20 pick this year if he declares, higher if he stays.

As of now he isn't starting, but if he cracks the line-up and plays well he will be top-20 his physical tools are just too good. If he plays amazing, he will go top-5.

Also if tou are looking for a quick 3-gap UT, this is the draft to get one:
Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech
George Hypolite, DT, Colorado
Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia
Marlon Favorite, DT, LSU

Tyson Jackson DE LSU could even play the 3-gap UT, he is big enough, (at 6'5" 292 lbs.) he is quick enough (projected to run a 4.83 40 yd. dash.)

Don Vito
06-20-2008, 05:19 PM
As of now he isn't starting, but if he cracks the line-up and plays well he will be top-20 his physical tools are just too good. If he plays amazing, he will go top-5.

Also if tou are looking for a quick 3-gap UT, this is the draft to get one:
Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
Vance Walker, DT, Georgia Tech
George Hypolite, DT, Colorado
Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia
Marlon Favorite, DT, LSU

Tyson Jackson DE LSU could even play the 3-gap UT, he is big enough, (at 6'5" 292 lbs.) he is quick enough (projected to run a 4.83 40 yd. dash.)

Tyson Jackson is not a DT, he is not suited to play inside at all in my opinion. Favorite, Jean-Francois, and Woods will be quite the DT rotation and when you factor in all of their talent at DE you have quite the DL. Their defense should be scary good this season even after losing some very good players.

Sen'Derrick Marks is one of my favorite prospects in next years class, he has the potential to be a great UT in the NFL and he is a perfect fit for Auburn's defense.

eaglesfan_45
06-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Tyson Jackson is not a DT, he is not suited to play inside at all in my opinion. Favorite, Jean-Francois, and Woods will be quite the DT rotation and when you factor in all of their talent at DE you have quite the DL. Their defense should be scary good this season even after losing some very good players.

Sen'Derrick Marks is one of my favorite prospects in next years class, he has the potential to be a great UT in the NFL and he is a perfect fit for Auburn's defense.

well I don't know much about Tyson Jackson, but from looking at his measurables he seems like he could get the job done. He has the size of a NFL DT and the quickness of a 3-gap UT.

Yatta!
06-20-2008, 06:42 PM
I just noticed you're from Europe. Its all starting to make sense....

Hey, I resent that.

nobodyinparticular
06-21-2008, 03:28 AM
A name to keep an eye on is Ernest "Mick" Williams from Pitt. He is very explosive and should have a huge year. I don't know if he would come out early but the guy is being compared to Warren Sapp. The only concerns with him have been tiny injuries. Last year was his first year healthy and he got better every single game. He looked great in spring ball. I am not saying he is Warren Sapp or a 1st round pick just yet but he is a guy to keep an eye on.

I find it funny that every semi-good DT in college football gets compared to Warren Sapp whether they are actually like him or not. And so far no one has lived up to that comparison yet.

Maybe that just goes to show what kind of impact he had on the game.

nobodyinparticular
06-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Now that the reality has set in and Glen Dorsey really isn't an Oakland Raider, who's out there for the 2009 class?

To add an addendum to this--the Raiders would be looking for a fatty NT, not a little guy to play 3-tech.

Pittsburghs_finest
06-21-2008, 03:33 AM
I find it funny that every semi-good DT in college football gets compared to Warren Sapp whether they are actually like him or not. And so far no one has lived up to that comparison yet.

The media did not give him the comparison. Sam Clancy who is a coach at Pitt who also played in the NFL said he reminds him of Sapp.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
06-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Khalif Mitchell Ecu

mqtirishfan
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Whatever happened to Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma? He was a super prospect, and this would be the first year he'd be elgible.

SuperKevin
06-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Whatever happened to Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma? He was a super prospect, and this would be the first year he'd be elgible.

It takes a lot for a RS Sophomore to be a highly touted draft prospect, especially when he plays DT. Look for him to get a ton of press for the 2010 NFL Draft

Hwoarang
06-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Al Woods is absolutely going to explode this year. While not as athletic, he has a bigger frame and eats up a bit more space than Dorsey. I expect him to be a top-20 pick this year if he declares, higher if he stays.Woods might see the field 3rd downs this year. He won't get more PT than RJF/Favorite?Alexander. Just too deep, then add the fact he couldn't beat out TF Drake Nevis when Dorsey went down I don't see him blowing up this year. Next year is his year.

LonghornsLegend
06-21-2008, 03:46 PM

That's because most of his success was due to playing next to Ellis most of his career, this is a make or break year for him though and if he doesn't live up to the hype he won't be drafted nearly as high as mocks have him...Ellis always did look like the dominant player on that line, so Moala needs to prove he can do it on his own.

Solomon
06-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Demarcus Granger is another Sooner prospect who I feel will definitly come out as an underclassmen year due to his off-field troubles (shoplifting charge last winter). If he can keep his weight under control and play well he could really rise up draft boards.

Geno Atkins is my favourite underclassmen DT prospect. Great penetrator and could emerge as the best DT in the SEC (which is saying alot in a conference with Jeff Owens, Al Woods, Peria Jerry, Demonte Bolden, Marlon Favorite, Myron Pryor and Torrey Davis)

My darkhorse junior DT this year is Nebraska Cornhusker Ndamukong Suh.

Hwoarang
06-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Woods is the 3rd maybe 4th best DT on LSU much less good enough to be top in SEC.

Next year is his year guys.

holt_bruce81
06-29-2008, 07:49 PM
1. Fili Moala
2. Jeff Owens
3. BJ Raji
4. Ziggy Hood
5. Vance Walker

JLBH
07-15-2008, 02:36 AM
First post, LSU fan here. The DT rotation this year will be monstrous. Right now, we're looking at some kind of combination of Rickey Jean-Francois/Marlon Favorite/Al Woods/Charles Alexander/Drake Nevis. I think a lot of people here are forgetting Alexander, whose departure was very noticeable after his knee injury.

My guess is that RJF and Alexander will be the starters. RJF is our best interior penetrator. He is ridiculously quick off the ball and, in my opinion, has the best pro potential of our DT's who will go pro following this season. Charles Alexander is the perfect complement to RJF in that he's a massive space-eater. LSU's defense last year stopped being so dominant after Alexander's injury, and subsequently, Dorsey's. They should both be high draft picks come April.

Key reserves are Favorite/Woods/Nevis. Nevis is a sophomore, so I would guess he will get the least amount of PT this fall, although I think he has a very good chance to be another good one from a long line of LSU DTs and he did beat out Woods for PT after Dorsey went down. Woods has all the pro-potential you could want with his frame, as many of you noted, however, I see him returning for his senior year if/when he fails to win the starting spot and his draft stock falls from lack of PT. He'll be suited for more of the 3-4 defenses. Favorite is probably the one of the bunch that I'm least high on. Very solid player, but I don't see him having the potential of the others.

Aside from LSU, I like Fili Moala and I expect Peria Jerry to break out this year, as Don Vito alluded to. A lot of the pub goes to Hardy on that line, but I think Jerry could turn out to be the better player this year. Sen'Derrick Marks is another guy I like to step out of his former teammates shadow (Sims) just as Moala will do with Ellis.

Hines
07-15-2008, 08:10 AM
If the Steelers are looking for dline help, maybe this is why they waited to get it. They have potential to grab a starter at DE plus get a back up NT mid rounds. I like this position, and the 34 OLB position. They are so stacked its not funny. My favorite DT/DE this year is VO from Duke. I think Rutclife(sp) is going to build a nice program there and could see some more Blue Devils drafted. If VO comes out, I think he could be a late 1st pick. I would compare him to a poor mans Haloti Ngata.

steelernation77
07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Mitch King, DT, Iowa, he's only 6'3" 264lbs but he's got a crazy motor.

SuperKevin
07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Mitch King, DT, Iowa, he's only 6'3" 264lbs but he's got a crazy motor.

So did Eric Foster of Rutgers. That didn't get him drafted though

steelernation77
07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
So did Eric Foster of Rutgers. That didn't get him drafted though

I'm not saying he's going to get drafted. However, he looked bigger at the spring game this year, probably more like 275. Even if he isn't drafted, I think he could be a good situational DT for some team.

themaninblack
07-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Geno Atkins is my favourite underclassmen DT prospect. Great penetrator and could emerge as the best DT in the SEC (which is saying alot in a conference with Jeff Owens, Al Woods, Peria Jerry, Demonte Bolden, Marlon Favorite, Myron Pryor and Torrey Davis)

I think Geno will have another monster year. Playing alongside Owens is good for him n I REALLY think he is the better of the two. They will be a force in the middle for my Dawgs this season n I wouldn't be surprised to see them both picked on day one this upcoming draft. Geno is my favorite DT prospect(homer) in this draft if he declares. He is a JR right?

Dam8610
07-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Kind of hard to get up to that level, but wouldn't you say Tommie Harris and Kevin Williams are each well on their way?

rockio42
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Kind of hard to get up to that level, but wouldn't you say Tommie Harris and Kevin Williams are each well on their way?

Neither of them will come close to 16.5 sacks he had in 2000

eaglesfan_45
07-16-2008, 02:12 AM
If I'm Running a tampa-2 scheme, and I need a 3 technique DT, there are 2 standout players in my mind who fit the Warren Sapp mold.

They both have produced good pass rushers from the DT spot, they are:
Vance Walker: 45 Tackles, 14 TFL, 8.5 SK
Geno Atkins: 41 Tackles, 15 TFL, 7.5 SK

This year has an amazing amount of DT Depth BTW so many potential top 3Round picks

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Neither of them will come close to 16.5 sacks he had in 2000

If Kevin Williams could regain his pass rushing form from the first couple years he spent in the league (22 sacks total), then he would probably be the only guy I considered to have a shot at getting anywhere close to Sapp's amazing 2000 season.

Brent
07-16-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't know why you haven't been banned yet. You have no knowledge of football whatsoever
I wonder that every time he posts but he hasnt done anything to get banned. Also, homer mention: Cyril Obiozor. He's a DE and I think he's going to be good this year.

PossumBoy9
07-16-2008, 09:16 AM

imo, Vince Oghobaase is the top DT prospect heading into 09. He's got great size at 6'6 310. He can play the NT in the 4-3 and the DE or NT in the 3-4. He is strong and quick but has the production to back it up. As a sophmore, he had 12tfl, 4.5 sacks and 49 tackles. Impressive production for a guy his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Alan Branch. VO has potentialto be an Albert Haynesworth type player. If he has good production this year and tests well, I could see him being a top 10 pick.

Interesting....I'll have to watch some Blue Devils football this season.

SuperKevin
07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Interesting....I'll have to watch some Blue Devils football this season.

Oghobasse could start for any team in America and chose to go to Duke for the education. I applaud that decision.

PossumBoy9
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Oghobasse could start for any team in America and chose to go to Duke for the education. I applaud that decision.

When's the last time Duke even had a "first day" pick?

P-L
07-16-2008, 04:35 PM
When's the last time Duke even had a "first day" pick?
Lennie Friedman was actually drafted in the 2nd Round in 1999, but before that you have to go back to 1989.

Byrd430
07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Poor Duke...

Just throwing out some names that I haven't seen in this thread yet (you guys got all the top guys out there):

George Hypolite (Colorado) (6'1, 285)
Brandon Nicolas (Colorado [Notre Dame transfer]) (6'3 290)
Roy Miller (Texas) (6'2 300)
Demonte Bolden (Tennessee) (6'5 290)
Dorrell Scott (Clemson) (6'4 320)
John Gill (Northwestern) (6'3 290)

Never know when one of these guys will break out.

Byrd430
07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
And also while talking about LSU:

Les Miles said last year that Jean-Francois was his 2nd best DT (obviously behind Dorsey). He was really unheard of last year until the national title game where he got defensive MVP.

But the reason he was unheard of is because he was suspended for 12 games, and I hear the NFL looks down on that these days...

eaglesfan_45
07-16-2008, 06:59 PM
for academic reasons not suspended