Nov. 23 vs. CHICAGO BEARS
Nov. 30 vs. MIAMI DOLPHINS
Dec. 7 @ Arizona Cardinals
Dec. 14 vs. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Dec. 21 vs. SAN FRANCISCO
Dec. 28 @ Atlanta Falcons

nfrillman
06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
The first 7 games of the season will make or break us. If they can go 3-4 through the first 7 games they have an excellent shot at making the playoffs.

holtfan92
06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I'd love to more than 3-4 in the first seven games, but I agree we will have a great chance if we get that record after 7.

Cribbs>Hester
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
How is Orlando Pace looking so far this year? Is he back to his old self yet? The last 2 years have dissapointed me big time.

holt_bruce81
08-01-2008, 07:00 PM
How is Orlando Pace looking so far this year? Is he back to his old self yet? The last 2 years have dissapointed me big time.

From everything I've read it sounds like he's coming along nicely from last years injury.

NGSeiler
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I haven't read a camp report that has mentioned him getting beat yet. He's not participating in one-on-one pass rushing drills yet but has taken some snaps in other drills. They're being cautious but he supposedly looks good so far.

eaglesfan_45
08-10-2008, 11:24 PM
What defensive scheme do the Rams run?

Because if they run a traditional 4-3 defense, I think they are putting guys out of posistion on the defensive line.

Leonard Little is more of a pass rusher, yet the Rams have him starting at LE which is a spot for more powerful run stopping guys like Trevor Pryce and Micheal Strahan. Leonard Little type DEs (Osi, Trent Cole), i.e. guys that are faster and are better pass rushers usually start at RE.

Adam Carriker who is more of a UT type player is playing NT, which is for bigger stronger run stuffing type guys. Carriker came into the NFL as a DE which leads me to believe he is a UT guy, a guy that penetrates and rushes the passer more than the NT.

Chris Long who is a all around DE, who is more of a LE IMO is playing RE. Chris Long is more of a strongside guy because of the fact that he is a good run stopping guy.

The Rams need a NT like Jeff Owens or Al Woods in next years draft to allow Carriker to move to UT. The Rams should switch Chris Long and Leonard Little around.

NGSeiler
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
The Rams' line as it relates to the DEs is basically switched, with their best pass rusher on the right side and the all-around guy in Long/James Hall on the left. Right or wrong, that's how it is. The Rams aren't the only team in the league to have that alignment either.

The Rams also viewed Carriker as a guy who could play the nose from the first day they drafted him, though they concede he'll likely have a better career as a three-technique tackle. If Clifton Ryan continues to emerge as a capable nose tackle, and he'll get more time in the rotation this season, then Carriker will see more time at the UT spot. But they're not going to move him over without a replacement, so Ryan will have to continue to step up.

freebirdsrams02
08-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Any new news on Jackson?

holt_bruce81
08-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Any new news on Jackson?

Nope. Antoino Pittman is going to tear it up this season.

nfrillman
08-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Any new news on Jackson?

Nope. If the other RB's continue to perform it will put pressure on Jackson to come back though. He will also devastate my fantasy football team if he doesn't play. I think that both Jackson and the FO are combining to be stupid here. I do side with Jackson on the contract dispute because if the contract has very little guaranteed money or is extremely backloaded the Rams could cut him and Jackson not see hardly any of the cash. The problem is his stance of not coming to camp until he has a new contract, and the FO saying no new contract until he is in camp. I think it's become more of a stubbornish issue from both sides than a contract dispute. Jackson should look at Bulger, he thought about holding out but came to camp and the team took care of him.

NGSeiler
08-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Jackson should look at Bulger, he thought about holding out but came to camp and the team took care of him.

Actually Bulger technically did hold out, as he missed the team's first mandatory meeting of training camp last year.

That being said, I would be really surprised if Jackson's holdout lasts into the season. He acknowledged in May that this was a contract year and he had to play well.

NGSeiler
08-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Thoughts from the third preseason game?

I haven't yet watched the whole thing, it's on my DVR right now. But it looks as though the offense found a rhythm, thanks to some solid pass protection and Bulger hooking up with Holt, Burton, and Avery.

I'll be excited to see how those elements are improved when Jackson gets on the field as well.

nfrillman
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Thoughts from the third preseason game?

I haven't yet watched the whole thing, it's on my DVR right now. But it looks as though the offense found a rhythm, thanks to some solid pass protection and Bulger hooking up with Holt, Burton, and Avery.

I'll be excited to see how those elements are improved when Jackson gets on the field as well.

I think the team looked excellent in the 3rd game. Bulger looked much much better, the defense was great, Burton and Avery looked spectaculr (Burton inparticular), the O-line was very solid, and the running game looked good. One area of concern was the kickoff coverage, there were some long returns against them.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Marques Hagans cut.

holt_bruce81
09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Rams suck, they might be worse than last year.

To start the rebuilding I would fire Linehan and draft Michael Oher.

nfrillman
09-07-2008, 11:26 PM
That was the worst game I have seen the Rams play since they came to St. Louis. Obviously the results weren't good, but it's the effort I'm more worried about. Seems like they just don't care. My prediction is that if the Rams get trucked by the Giants in the home opener and the boos are raining down that Linehan gets fired right then, or possibly if a third beat down happens.

yodabear
09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
That was awful, and it confirmed I was dead wrong, we should not have kept Linehan. The team looked unconfident, uninterested, and looked like a really bad college football team much less a horrible NFL team.

holt_bruce81
09-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Rams will beat the Giants.

josh07039
09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Quick question to all you Rams fans. Whats the deal with Brian Leonard? I know they want him to be primarily a lead blocker now(a mistake), but when i checked in to the game periodically last week i didn't even see him most of the time and he didn't get a single touch. Is he hurt or has he already been absolutely marginalized?

holt_bruce81
09-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Quick question to all you Rams fans. Whats the deal with Brian Leonard? I know they want him to be primarily a lead blocker now(a mistake), but when i checked in to the game periodically last week i didn't even see him most of the time and he didn't get a single touch. Is he hurt or has he already been absolutely marginalized?

I think he's hurt.

josh07039
09-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I think he's hurt.
I suppose that's semi good news for me because Injuries heal while a perceived role by a head coach dies hard.

holt_bruce81
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Isaac Bruce has 3 catches for 120 yards.....Go Drew Bennett!!

rockio42
09-14-2008, 08:32 PM
today was great till like the fourth quarter when people forgot how to tackle and the o-line actually got worse, its hard to believe that at one point in the 3rd it was only 13-20 giants

holt_bruce81
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
today was great till like the fourth quarter when people forgot how to tackle and the o-line actually got worse, its hard to believe that at one point in the 3rd it was only 13-20 giants

Chavous is garbage, he should be thrown away. How he's starting is Mind-Boggling. Starting Dane Looker and Dante Hall over Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton makes me sick. Look at the rookie receivers around the league! Donnie Avery was selected before all of them so obviously the Rams thought he was better than them but yet they don't play him?

nfrillman
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Chavous is garbage, he should be thrown away. How he's starting is Mind-Boggling. Starting Dane Looker and Dante Hall over Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton makes me sick. Look at the rookie receivers around the league! Donnie Avery was selected before all of them so obviously the Rams thought he was better than them but yet they don't play him?

Thank God somebody else feels the same way about Chavous. My brother and me have been saying how utterly horrendous he is since the beginning of last year.

holt_bruce81
09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Thank God somebody else feels the same way about Chavous. My brother and me have been saying how utterly horrendous he is since the beginning of last year.

Yea man, watching Chavous makes me miss Archuleta (even when you was on the decline)

I dream about William Moore in a Rams uniform.

NGSeiler
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Starting Dane Looker and Dante Hall over Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton makes me sick.

Neither of them have been healthy.

Burton injured his knee against Philly and had to have fluid drained from it the day before the Giants game. He wasn't at full speed and will now miss the next 2-3 weeks.

Avery suffered a sprained knee in the final preseason game of the year and has been pretty limited. He did not fully participate in practice last week leading up to the Giants game. Supposedly he's healthy now and will be incorporated more on offense.

rockio42
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Chavous is a great leader and supposedly everyone in the locker room loves the guy...so make him the god damn special teams captain and get him the **** off the #1 defense

holt_bruce81
09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Neither of them have been healthy.

Burton injured his knee against Philly and had to have fluid drained from it the day before the Giants game. He wasn't at full speed and will now miss the next 2-3 weeks.

Avery suffered a sprained knee in the final preseason game of the year and has been pretty limited. He did not fully participate in practice last week leading up to the Giants game. Supposedly he's healthy now and will be incorporated more on offense.

I heard Avery was healthy for the Giants game.

NGSeiler
09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
I heard Avery was healthy for the Giants game.

He was a game-time decision and was limited in practice the week prior.

nfrillman
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Chavous is a great leader and supposedly everyone in the locker room loves the guy...so make him the god damn special teams captain and get him the **** off the #1 defense

Amen to that. How many missed tackles, blown coverages, and horrendous pursuit angles will it take before they bench his sorry ass. He has stolen whatever money he's making from the Rams, cuz he hasn't done shat.

holt_bruce81
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Amen to that. How many missed tackles, blown coverages, and horrendous pursuit angles will it take before they bench his sorry ass. He has stolen whatever money he's making from the Rams, cuz he hasn't done shat.

I think Linehan lets the veteran players walk all over him. Laroi Glover and Corey Chavous are getting a butt-load of playing time, Where's Clifton Ryan? Linehan called out Tye Hill and even demoted him after the Eagles game, yet he said nothing bad about Corey Chavous who was worse in that game then Tye Hill was.

Linehan and Haslett need to go right away, If they're still here after week 5 I'm going to be very mad. Mark Richt(Georgia HC) is a name that's been floating around, rumors are the Rams were interested in him a few years ago and they had him listed as the top possible head coaching candidate but he didn't want to leave the college game.

rockio42
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM

The angle on Hank Basket(?) on that 80 yarder was absolutely terrible and one of the worst ive ever seen

nfrillman
09-19-2008, 09:42 PM
The angle on Hank Basket(?) on that 80 yarder was absolutely terrible and one of the worst ive ever seen

Most notably yes. There are many many others though, and not just in the passing game. Watch him in the run game he takes terrible angles too. I think older players have a hard time adjusting their angles to their diminished speed. I remember Sehorn having the same problem. And yes, I would love to have Archy back, at least he could tackle.

NGSeiler
09-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Looks like Hill has been demoted now that Brown is ready to return to the starting line-up.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/9410A229998E1AC5862574CA004377B4?OpenDocument

holt_bruce81
09-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Looks like Hill has been demoted now that Brown is ready to return to the starting line-up.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/9410A229998E1AC5862574CA004377B4?OpenDocument

If the Rams want to be in contention in a few years they can't swing and miss on draft picks like this.

Their drafting is atrocious.

rockio42
09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
The last three haven't been nearly as bad as the year we blew THREE 1ST ROUND PICKS

yodabear
09-22-2008, 11:26 AM
My inside sources tell me this week's game against Buffalo is Linehan's last.

nfrillman
09-22-2008, 04:04 PM
The last three haven't been nearly as bad as the year we blew THREE 1ST ROUND PICKS

That was the draft that killed the team. They had a chance to get three big time players and missed on all three, inexusable.

rockio42
09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Considering we draft Damione Lewis, Ryan Pickett, and Adam Archuleta we could've drafted Marcus Stroud, Kris Jenkins, and Nate Clements

can you imagine the team if thats the draft?!

holt_bruce81
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm mad! I was hoping for a Firing today.

yodabear
09-23-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm mad! I was hoping for a Firing today.

It will happen next Monday, if it doesn't all NFLDC Rams fans will take the franchise over by force!

nfrillman
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Well, Bulger is being benched for Trent Green. I have been a Bulger supporter since he took over, and I still am. I like Green as well, but I hope the Rams get destroyed against the Bills as well. I don't want it to look like Linehan wasn't the problem, because he is.

Ozzy
09-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I have not actually watched any Ram games this year but honestly what is your guys problem?

You have a very talented football team? Or have certain prospects not really played up to their potential?

Your D line is sick with Leonard Little and Victor Adeyanju backing him up. Then you have fine tackles in Glover and supposedly Carriker then on the other end you have Chris Long and James Hall. That is a damn good front what the heck, is Long not that good and is Carriker a bust or what?

I guess LB is a major problem outside of Weatherspoon, so that is quite an issue. Heck Erin Henderson a backup for the Vikings and the brother or EJ would probably start on your team.

Then at CB you have Tye Hill a great prospect and Manning a star nickle guy, what he all of a sudden sucks? Chavous is a smart safety and Atogwe had tons of potential and Todd Johnson is a solid backup. Then there should be a star CB in Bartell but who knows if he is living up to it and J. Wade is quite a prospect coming out of college, very solid.

So what your LB's on defense are **** and that just destroys everything or what?

And on offense you have tons of good TE's, what Randy McMichael is underachieving and Klopfenstein is a flop?

Then the offense line clearly has issues and Pace no why is near what he was, but Roy Schuening should provide some stability and Richie Incognito and Barron are they playing up to par?

Also what is with Leonard at FB, is he not that good or what is happening? And Jackson that is a joke he is not playing better than he is, hard though when your QB is over the hill and the WR's are not all big play guys.

So what exactly is going on St. Louis since I cannot watch them thanks to damn NFL only really showing 8 NFL teams throughout the year unless they play the Vikings.

KCJ58
09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I love the St. Louis Rams with all my heart but my god they are deep in the shitter now, we are ******, no joke. this is going to take a while until we can get back on top. at least we got Steven Jackson locked up so that's goo for the time being, but i think we need a whole new coaching staff, let's start from scratch fire Linehan NOW!

rockio42
09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I guess I might be naive or something but how exactley did the rams get WORSE than last year even though last year the entire line was hurt. Not to mention how is our defense this bad we improved significantly last year when our offense was **** and Haslett only got more options when we brought in Long. Tye Hill was starting to look up but I guess it didn't help that on like the first play of the season he gets amazing coverage on a rookie and Jackson still someone makes the catch. This might have already been said but I just don't understand how we are this bad...

holt_bruce81
09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
So the question is.....Is the Quarterback move just temporary or are the Rams wanting to move on without Bulger?

7 million this year, 6.5 million next year.......

yodabear
09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
So the question is.....Is the Quarterback move just temporary or are the Rams wanting to move on without Bulger?

7 million this year, 6.5 million next year.......

I think it is temporary. This is clearly a prayer put up by Linehan hoping to find gold to save his sorry ass. Simple as that, if we don't have a somewhat decent showing at home against Buffalo going into the bye, Linehan is gone. I hate that he did it too, but this was the reason for the move IMO.

rockio42
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it is temporary. This is clearly a prayer put up by Linehan hoping to find gold to save his sorry ass. Simple as that, if we don't have a somewhat decent showing at home against Buffalo going into the bye, Linehan is gone. I hate that he did it too, but this was the reason for the move IMO.

I said this in the other thread about it but...publicity stunt, hes a home town guy and maybe fans will respond to him (cept knwoing the pieces of **** the Rams have for fans they will turn on him the minute he throws an imcomplete pass)

holt_bruce81
09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Well the Rams have released Fakhir Brown and have inserted Clifton Ryan in the starting lineup over Glover and Chris Draft over Culberson.

KCJ58
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
what happened to Fakhir wasn't he our starting CB this year?

holt_bruce81
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Marshall Faulk is going to meet with team owner Chip Rosenbloom.

rockio42
09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I love the Clifton Ryan switch but I don't like the Draft switch I love Culberson..but if it helps the team I'm happy

holt_bruce81
09-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I love the Clifton Ryan switch but I don't like the Draft switch I love Culberson..but if it helps the team I'm happy

I was high on Culberson as well before the season but he really has played poorly in the first 3 games.

I'm begging for a Corey Chavous benching.

NGSeiler
09-24-2008, 10:30 PM
The Bulger benching smells of a coaching staff desperate to try and hang onto their jobs by finding some way to shake things up without that way being their resignation or firing. I don't say that because Marc Bulger has played perfect football through three games; he clearly hasn't and needs to improve. But I say it because I'm of the opinion that Marc Bulger isn't "the problem," and by benching him, you create a perception that he is when there are bigger fish that need frying.

I like the move of putting Draft and Ryan into the starting line-up, and I'm intrigued by Adeyanju replacing Hall as the starter. I'm confused about Fakhir Brown's release, as I'm wondering what exactly motivated it. No one in our secondary has really been playing well, but what has Fakhir done to deserve his walking papers over anyone else? I imagine we'll hear more on this soon.

nfrillman
09-25-2008, 02:39 AM
I said this in the other thread about it but...publicity stunt, hes a home town guy and maybe fans will respond to him (cept knwoing the pieces of **** the Rams have for fans they will turn on him the minute he throws an imcomplete pass)

Rams fans aren't going to turn on Trent Green. Most still have a soft spot for him even though he wasn't the one who won a Super Bowl for us. They will probably boo the team as a whole, but they are not going to bash Green. They know this situation is extremely awkward and difficult for him. In the Giants game the crowd was trying to get amped when the Rams scored a TD to make is a bit closer, but the Giants promptly marched down the field for a TD. The fans will begin to show their support when the correct decision is made, and that is the firing of Scott Linehan.

holt_bruce81
09-26-2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/600021A4D8DCD4A8862574D0001A7830?OpenDocument

Well Jackson says he and others hate the Quarterback switch, Bulger says he doesn't want to play for Linehan anymore......this is a circus.

nfrillman
09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/600021A4D8DCD4A8862574D0001A7830?OpenDocument

Well Jackson says he and others hate the Quarterback switch, Bulger says he doesn't want to play for Linehan anymore......this is a circus.

I will support almost any mutiny among the players. Ever since he has been here the Rams have had one of the most boring unimaginative offenses in the league. It's like they call plays trying to limit the damage while on offense, you can't win doing that.

yodabear
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Our players should just boycott the game....that will make the coaches go. I WANT MARSHALL!!

holt_bruce81
09-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Our players should just boycott the game....that will make the coaches go. I WANT MARSHALL!!

Eh, not as a head coach.

holt_bruce81
09-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I will support almost any mutiny among the players. Ever since he has been here the Rams have had one of the most boring unimaginative offenses in the league. It's like they call plays trying to limit the damage while on offense, you can't win doing that.

It's shocking to think that Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper called Linehan an "Offensive Genius"

NGSeiler
09-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Peter King is saying that if the Rams lose to Buffalo tomorrow, Linehan is likely out the door...

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=4149

yodabear
09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
It's shocking to think that Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper called Linehan an "Offensive Genius"

Most people are offensive geniuses with Randy Moss, chuck it up and he go get it.

holt_bruce81
09-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Peter King is saying that if the Rams lose to Buffalo tomorrow, Linehan is likely out the door...

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=4149

Hopefully he gets canned even if we win!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-28-2008, 07:20 PM
How is Chris Long doing?

NGSeiler
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
How is Chris Long doing?

Very good. Two sacks already this season and he's improving with every game.

NGSeiler
09-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Said this in the regular NFL forum, but Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports is reporting that an announcement about Linehan's status will be made on Monday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnfpqIw_Dm81B4aVzbxMft1DubYF?slug=jc-linehanfuture092808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

nfrillman
09-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Linehan is out, Haslett is interim head coach. This came three games to late IMO, but I'm glad it's been done. Jay Zygmunt needs to be the next to go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3615358

holt_bruce81
09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Fakhir Brown might be back with the Rams.

nfrillman
09-29-2008, 08:56 PM

He should be, that move made no damn sense. He's are best cover corner, at least 2nd best if you put Bartell on top.

NGSeiler
09-29-2008, 11:23 PM

On Monday's Team 1380 radio show, Haslett said he wanted to bring him back.

holt_bruce81
09-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Bernie Miklasz hinted that there might be a change at the Strong Safety position, I'm praying that he's right.

nfrillman
09-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Bernie Miklasz hinted that there might be a change at the Strong Safety position, I'm praying that he's right.

My bro and me had a conversation about that. Chavous is a Linehan guy from his days in Minny. I cannot imagine that Haslett can sit and watch him on tape week after week and not realize he is horrid. I don't care who they put there... throw Todd Johnson in, move Wade or King back there, sign an undrafted FA like Pig Brown, anything is better than Chavous. At least put in a guy that might have some potential.

KCJ58
09-30-2008, 04:18 AM
yes I agree Todd Johnson should replace the dreadful Chavous but i think Haslett has a grip on his defense and he' knows what he's doing

holt_bruce81
09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
My bro and me had a conversation about that. Chavous is a Linehan guy from his days in Minny. I cannot imagine that Haslett can sit and watch him on tape week after week and not realize he is horrid. I don't care who they put there... throw Todd Johnson in, move Wade or King back there, sign an undrafted FA like Pig Brown, anything is better than Chavous. At least put in a guy that might have some potential.

AH Piggy Brown.......that would be sweet.

TigerBait45
10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
For you guys' sake, I hope Haslett doesn't get to keep this job.

He is seriously clueless and loyal to a fault to players and coaches no matter how bad they show everyone they are. Rick Venturi is an abortion of a defensive coordinator, but he was Haslett's guy in New Orleans so he got the promotion.

Haz is a solid coordinator but a terrible head coach. I would seriously not put it past him to bring Aaron Brooks out of retirement to be Bulger's backup in a few weeks.

holt_bruce81
10-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I hope Haslett can put the Energy back in the offense.

NGSeiler
10-12-2008, 03:12 PM
VICTORY!!!!!!!

rockio42
10-12-2008, 03:15 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

holt_bruce81
10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
My god Donnie Avery is a pimp.

yodabear
10-13-2008, 12:20 AM
This week is so great I wanna have sex with it.

holt_bruce81
10-13-2008, 02:51 AM
This week is so great I wanna have sex with it.

Overall the week kinda sucked, Sunday was good but overall the week gets a C- in my book.

yodabear
10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Overall the week kinda sucked, Sunday was good but overall the week gets a C- in my book.

When u are an 0-4 team, a win is a win. Sure we had a whole 8 first downs to 22, but it is good to have more points.

rockio42
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Do any of you want to be scouts in this new Forum Mock that mario-Palmer (?) is setting up I also have a Assitant GM spot open so if you do post on my thread in our board

holt_bruce81
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
So Jim Haslett will be back next year if Rams go at least .500 under him.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/0C4CAF2BF4790A48862574E30012421A?OpenDocument

rockio42
10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Hahaha Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Suck It Dallas!!!

holt_bruce81
10-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I hope the Jackson injury isn't serious.

nfrillman
10-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I hope the Jackson injury isn't serious.

Jackson has a slightly sprained quadriceps but he is expected to play against the Patriots. I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but if the Rams beat the Pats and the Panthers beat the Cardinals, the game in two weeks against Arizona is for first place.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8700658?MSNHPHMA&From=MSNHP&FG=FOX_Pipe

KCJ58
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I went to this weekend game on Sunday and it was awesome, it felt like I the St. Louis Rams when Warner was under center, Donnie Avery, my god is this kid got talent, he should have gotten 2 TD's that game. SJax was an animal running on Dallas so called big D, also Carriker is fine and should be alright to play next week which was good to see ouyr D-Line finally come together and make some key sacks. also there were so many Dallas fans there it was almost 60/40 in favor of us. At the end of the game all there heads were down, I was yelling "how bout them Rams". I want Jim Haslett as our coach for next year and beyond. I like what he has done with this team and also Bulger stepping up and actually being a captain for the team will provide better play from our offense. (I also got a picture with Chris Long after the game and that was pretty cool) and I crazy or can this team be a playoff contender in a dreadful NFC West conference? (don't answer that not Rams fans) I mean we are in the 2nd place and Arizona isn't a juggernaut or anything like that. Great win this weekend, every1 in St. Louis is excited for the rest of the season and so am I.

holt_bruce81
10-20-2008, 11:31 PM
It really is amazing to see where the Rams were 20 days ago, to where they are now. I mean 20 days ago people (me included) were talking about 0-16, now everyone's talking about being contenders for the division and playoffs.

This team is fun to watch again!

NGSeiler
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Haslett has done an amazing job with this team. Bulger, Jackson, Avery, the line are stepping up on offense, and the defense looks like an entirely new unit. I don't know what happened to the squad we fielded against Philly to start the year, but I'm thrilled with what we're fielding now. Only two games behind Arizona for the lead in the West, boys!! :D

yodabear
10-22-2008, 12:07 PM
It really is amazing to see where the Rams were 20 days ago, to where they are now. I mean 20 days ago people (me included) were talking about 0-16, now everyone's talking about being contenders for the division and playoffs.

This team is fun to watch again!

I wouldn't say we are contenders yet, but a victory this week against the Patriots would make me start believing.

holt_bruce81
10-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't say we are contenders yet, but a victory this week against the Patriots would make me start believing.

If (and that's a big if) we beat New England and Arizona loses this sunday, next sunday is for 1st place in the division.

TickOffOurBestPlayer
10-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Nice to see Antonio Pittman having such a great day today. I'm probably bias, but I thought Antonio Pittman was one of the most underrated running backs of the last 5 years. He was a much better prospect than given credit for and New Orleans was stupid for letting him go. I liked him better than I like Chris Wells.

nfrillman
10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Why is it that every game I see with the Patriots they get the benefit of questionable officiating. A missed holding call on Glover where he would have sacked Cassel and ended their first drive, late hit out of bounds after Brown picked off a ball, a horrendously poor spot on Jones punt out of bounds (missed spot by at least 10 yards), and Seymore just roughing Bulger to the ground directly in front of the ref on the last drive and then shoving him when he got up. Those are just he freakin blatant calls they missed. NFL officiating is the worst I have ever seen it. Every week some team is getting ripped off, usually multiple teams. That doesn't even include the numerous games I don't see each week. This week I know of the Rams getting boned and the Falcons getting completed screwed over on a call. I only watched 2 games. The Rams, and Giants-Steelers.......at least that game had horrid officiating both ways. Is holding on pass plays still against the rules? How about pass interference? I'm considering not caring about the NFL if the officiating doesn't get better. That's why I don't care at all about the NBA, well that and it's fixed.

yodabear
10-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Well given we were playing without Steven Jackson and we only lost by 7 I am happy with our performance. Also, I am very happy we are playing our asses off. We may not win every game, but we are no longer going to see us lose 35-3 and quitting. I know, these are low expectations, but if we beat the Cards this week we are 1 game back, which is very suprising given our first 4 games.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Yah I loved how we played without Jackson, on a side note to that where is Brian Leonard????

But i thought we played great and if we play like that aginst the Cards and throughout the year we can go somewhere with this team (division championship and 1st round playoff exit).

How about that onside kick call by Haslett, that a guy who wants to win and has the balls to take a chance to do it.

What kind of ******** was that **** Seymour did on that last drive, it's ok Rodney Harrison Richard Seymour will make sure people still hate your team

NGSeiler
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Why is it that every game I see with the Patriots they get the benefit of questionable officiating.

Officiating was horrible in that game, I agree. Zero penalties for the Pats? A franchise first, I believe? You're absolutely kidding me. I'm not the kind of guy who goes so far as to blame officiating for his team's loss, but it was pretty bad yesterday.

Well given we were playing without Steven Jackson and we only lost by 7 I am happy with our performance. Also, I am very happy we are playing our asses off. We may not win every game, but we are no longer going to see us lose 35-3 and quitting. I know, these are low expectations, but if we beat the Cards this week we are 1 game back, which is very suprising given our first 4 games.

I agree. It was a disappointing result because I think it's a game we could have won had all three units just played a bit better, but at the same time I don't find it to be discouraging at all. Without our best player, on the road, and we're in there til the end.

Yah I loved how we played without Jackson, on a side note to that where is Brian Leonard????

IR with more shoulder issues. To think we could have had Ryan Kalil at that spot in the draft.

holt_bruce81
11-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Rams played like poop today, Bulger played like Garbage.

Give it up for Derek Stanley though! 1st career NFL Touchdown!

holt_bruce81
11-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Rams signed Samkon Gado to the active roster and Darius Walker to the practice squad.

holt_bruce81
11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Rams stunk it up today. Total garbage on both sides of the ball.

I'm kind of liking the idea of selecting Aaron Curry with our 1st round pick.

PossumBoy9
11-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Rams stunk it up today. Total garbage on both sides of the ball.

I'm kind of liking the idea of selecting Aaron Curry with our 1st round pick.

If the plan is to leave WW inside, then I could be down with it too....as long as Crabtree, Andre Smith, and Stafford are off the board.

holt_bruce81
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
If the plan is to leave WW inside, then I could be down with it too....as long as Crabtree, Andre Smith, and Stafford are off the board.

You really think Stafford is a possibility? The Rams all ready owe Bulger a crapload of money next year and if they cut him it would be an 8 million dollar cap hit.

NGSeiler
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
QB in the first round is not a possibility IMO. Financially it makes no sense, and ultimately finances will play a role in what teams want to do. I think the choice comes down to Oher, Smith, Jenkins, or Crabtree, IMO. Maybe one of the linebackers as well. We can look for a QB to groom behind Bulger in the mid rounds.

holt_bruce81
11-12-2008, 11:17 PM
QB in the first round is not a possibility IMO. Financially it makes no sense, and ultimately finances will play a role in what teams want to do. I think the choice comes down to Oher, Smith, Jenkins, or Crabtree, IMO. Maybe one of the linebackers as well. We can look for a QB to groom behind Bulger in the mid rounds.

I'm really high on Nate Davis, if he's available in the 3rd round I'm all for it. Maybe even Josh Freeman in the later rounds since he really seems to be taking a nose-dive.

1. Andre Smith
2. Aaron Curry
3. Michael Crabtree
4. Michael Oher
5. Malcolm Jenkins/Vontae Davis

PossumBoy9
11-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Passing on a franchise QB doesn't make any sense either.

I had Bulger's back from the start. I don't see a good future with him, though.

NGSeiler
11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Passing on a franchise QB doesn't make any sense either.

It makes a lot of sense IMO when (1) you already have big money tied up in a QB and (2) you don't have enough pieces in the offense to help your new franchise QB become successful. I think the Rams would be better served looking for someone they can sit for a few years and groom in rounds 3-6.

nfrillman
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
It makes a lot of sense IMO when (1) you already have big money tied up in a QB and (2) you don't have enough pieces in the offense to help your new franchise QB become successful. I think the Rams would be better served looking for someone they can sit for a few years and groom in rounds 3-6.

I'd have to agree with this, it's not like the Rams are a quarterback away from being a contender. They have holes all over the team.

yodabear
11-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Jackson is out again. Damn, well, I hope we can beat San Fran without him. I mean c'mon, we can beat San Fran can't we?

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Are Rams fans done with Marc Bulgar?

yodabear
11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Personally, I am, but I don't speak for the rest of us. And it really doesn't help any that his predecesor is the MVP of the league.

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 05:17 PM
So where would you rank QB on the list of needs? Also how much time do you think Bulgar has?

yodabear
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
So where would you rank QB on the list of needs? Also how much time do you think Bulgar has?

Not very high. As much as I would like to brush Bulger aside, he is still making a boat load of money and I wouldn't like paying a guy a bunch of money for doing very little. And I'd rather start building an O-Line, maybe when we get an o-line in front of him maybe Bulger can come back. And yes, of course defense is a need as well. So yeah, QB is far down the list.

holt_bruce81
11-14-2008, 07:04 PM

Not done, just disappointed.

20 games since he signed a 6 year 65 million dollar deal (27 mill guaranteed) he has thrown for 3,765 yards or 188 yards per game, 17 TDs and 21 INTs and he is completing 57.6% of his passes.

This guy is making top 5 Quarterback money and just may be the worst Quarterback in the league over the last 2 seasons.

And please, the O-Line isn't good but you can't blame them. Marc Bulger has the worst pocket presence in the NFL.

In 2005......
Bulger was sacked 26 times in 7.5 games
Fitzpatrck and Martin were sacked a combined 20 times in 8.5 games.

In 2007.....
Bulger was sacked 36 times in 11 starts (3.3 per game)
Berlin and Frerotte were sacked a combined 10 times in 5 starts. (2 per game)

In 2008.......
Bulger sacked 26 times in 7.5 games.
Green sacked 2 times in 1.5 games.

Geo
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't think Bulger can win a game by himself, right now. However the Rams signed S-Jax long-term, who can be a beast when he plays, and having him makes Bulger work.

The Rams need at least one more wide receiver, if not two, as Torry Holt is signed through 2009. They will need someone to start across from Avery, and depending on how the other guys like Burton do, may need to draft a second guy.

A young receiving tight end like Chase Coffman could be a great addition too.

holt_bruce81
11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't think Bulger can win a game by himself, right now. However the Rams signed S-Jax long-term, who can be a beast when he plays, and having him makes Bulger work.

The Rams need at least one more wide receiver, if not two, as Torry Holt is signed through 2009. They will need someone to start across from Avery, and depending on how the other guys like Burton do, may need to draft a second guy.

A young receiving tight end like Chase Coffman could be a great addition too.

If Rams got Coffman I'd be ecstatic, I just don't know if TE is that high of a need right now.

Also, Since the start of 2007. Jackson is 35th in the NFL in average yards per carry, and 27 NFL backs have compiled more runs that gain 10 yards or more. And this year ranks 17th in yards rushing.

Geo
11-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Good call, a TE looks unnecessary when the OL and probably WR need addressing.

holt_bruce81
11-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Good call, a TE looks unnecessary when the OL and probably WR need addressing.

I still have hopes for Schuening and Greco

PossumBoy9
11-15-2008, 11:06 AM

The Rams need the best pick for the future. End of story.

Drafting solely for "next year" would be a huge mistake.

You can't keep running a bad QB out there....just because you're paying him.

The Rams won't get a crack at Stafford anyway....so this is moot.

It'll be pretty sad in the offseason if the foolish calls for drafting for "need" come back....as they always do.

PossumBoy9
11-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I'd have to agree with this, it's not like the Rams are a quarterback away from being a contender. They have holes all over the team.

But if they have an opportunity to draft a franchise QB....how can they pass?

The draft is about the future....not next year.

NGSeiler
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
And please, the O-Line isn't good but you can't blame them.

Yes, you most certainly can. That's not to say Bulger holds no accountability for his play, but let's not pretend our offensive decline isn't in large part because of the poor play and ability of our offensive line.

Marc's pocket presence has deteriorated, why? Because he's been shellacked behind this line, sacked most in the entire NFL since 2003. Yes, Bulger needs to improve his play, but improvements along the offensive line are the biggest thing we need to see at this point.

And that's really been the case for almost half a decade when you think about it. Even in 2003, when the Rams won the West with 12 wins, only three teams in the league allowed more sacks. I guess that's to be expected with a Martz offense at the time, but Martz is long gone and this isn't getting any better.

Agreed. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Holt released after this season if he doesn't renegotiate his contract. The Rams didn't want to pay Isaac Bruce his $5 million salary after his 733 yard season in 2007. Will the Rams want to pay Holt his $6.65 million salary after a projected 626 yard season in 2008? Doubtful.

The Rams need the best pick for the future. End of story.

Drafting solely for "next year" would be a huge mistake.

I'm going to have to disagree. The implication that we're not selecting someone the future if we don't draft a franchise QB is rather silly. It's not as if we're only going to sign the guy to a one-year deal.

If you draft an OT, you're counting on him to lock down the blindside for the next decade or more. If you draft a CB, you're counting on him to shut down dangerous receivers for the next ten years. If you go for a linebacker, you want a guy who is going to be the anchor and leader of your defense for seasons to come, hopefully turning around an awful unit.

Anyone you draft is for the future, so let's skip the straw man argument that other picks would be selections just for "next year."

I do agree, though, that the Rams need the best pick for the future. My problem is that QB is not the best pick if you don't have the pieces around him to allow him to be successful. We currently don't have the pieces around Bulger to make him successful, so even if we draft a "franchise QB" we're going to need to find the pieces to make it work. With this franchise, that can often times be easier said than done.

Also, by drafting a QB high, you're going to be forced to invest quite a bit of money contractually in that player. We already have quite a bit of money tied up in Bulger. What effect does it have on our future cap if we have two QBs tied up in two huge deals? That could have cap implications for quite a while, depending on how Bulger's contract plays out - do we release him and take a cap hit over two years? do we hang onto him and absorb both of those deals, impacting our ability to sign other players? Again, thinking about the future here, not just next season.

And finally, the pressure of playing a QB that you've drafted early will likely mean he'll be on the field before we'd like him to be. Which translates to "before we have those pieces he needs to be effective." Is that something we want to expose him to and risk having him lose confidence by rushing him onto the field? You say that you don't want to keep running a bad QB out there just because you're paying him; at the same time, you don't want to run a young QB out there just because you drafted him high.

There are plenty of logical reasons why a team in our situation wouldn't want to draft a quarterback high in the first round. If you disagree, that's fine. It's a debate that can and should be had, though, rather than be brushed off as foolish calls for need picks.

nfrillman
11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Again I have to agree with NGSeiler. I think Rams fans have gotten so accustomed to horrible offensive line play that they start thinking it's actually normal. No, it's not normal. The Rams have had one of the worst offensive lines in the league since around 2003. Last year's offensive line was ridiculously and utterly atrocious, so when Rams fans see this year's offensive line that is merely horrendous they compare it to last year and think its only slightly below average or average even. In reality, it is still one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Not many lines are horrible at run blocking and pass blocking. When was the last game a Rams RB got 2-3 yards past the line of scrimmage before contact consistently? When was the last game a Rams QB didn't have multiple defenders in his face in less than 2 seconds at least once? When was the last game a Rams QB didn't take at least one brutal hit? Everybody argues about what the most important thing for a football team is. Does offense or defense win championships, does running or passing win championships. Well you can win with any of those as your strength, but I want you to find the last Superbowl winner or participant that had a bad offensive line. The absolute, without a doubt, most important ingredient for a successful team is a successful offensive line. The Rams don't have that, they haven't had that in years, it's time to fix it.

holt_bruce81
11-15-2008, 07:23 PM
So how do you guys want to fix the Offensive Line?

through Free Agency? or through the draft?

Anyone think Rams will move Jacob Bell to Tackle? I've heard there's been discussion over it but nothing serious at the moment. He's been kind of a disappointment this year.

nfrillman
11-16-2008, 02:00 AM

Anyone think Rams will move Jacob Bell to Tackle? I've heard there's been discussion over it but nothing serious at the moment. He's been kind of a disappointment this year.

I'd say both. I know it won't happen, but I'd be fine if every single draft pick was a lineman. They have to fix the line, if they accomplish one thing in the offseason and it's fixing the O-line then I will be fine with the offseason. They could draft an OT and then move Barron to G to get him closer to the ball.

NGSeiler
11-16-2008, 11:56 AM

How about both?

I think in this offseason or in future offseasons, we need to seriously address every offensive line position except for LG (like it or not we just spent big money there).

LT: We need to find a left tackle of the future to groom behind and eventually replace Orlando Pace. Pace missed significant time the last two seasons and has been nicked up a bit this year. He's played pretty well according to the numbers but turns 34 this fall and doesn't have much time left in the tank. We very well may have the opportunity to address his replacement in the first round this year, as there are a couple of qualified top candidates in this class. Right now, Oher or Smith would be a dream but there's a significant chance neither makes it to our pick. Will Monroe's stock be valued for where we end up? Maybe, maybe not. We may have to settle for addressing this in a later round if we can't get one of the two big boys.

C: I've never been particularly impressed with Leckey or Romberg. I think both are marginal starters and would rather see both of them as depth players at best. I don't see our center of the future on this roster - I had some hope when we drafted Fry that he might be the guy, but he's done virtually nothing since being drafted. If there's a quality center in FA who isn't too old, that may be an option. But there looks to be some good prospects in this class that could be had with our second or third round pick. I'd love to see a guy like Mack fall to us in round two but that's probably wishful thinking. If we could turn around in the third and nab Luigs or Caldwell for instance, that'd be very nice.

RG: First and foremost, Richie Incognito is a RFA and should be given a middle tender that would allow us to receive compensation equal to the round he was drafted in. Since I doubt anyone will give up a third round pick for the guy, that should at least allow us to secure him if we need him. Whether or not we make a big effort to improve here, I don't know. Setterstrom will be back after injury so he could try to push Incognito there, but honestly I'd like to see Greco seriously in the mix here and in competition for a starting job.

RT: Alex Barron remains a disappointment not because he plays particularly horribly (though I would contend he's not consistently good), but because he never improves regarding the mental aspect of the game. He still draws stupid penalties at horrible times, and his sacks are actually up this year. Barron has one more year on his contract so I don't see much of a need to cut him, but there'd better be some competition brought in to make him earn that spot, something he hasn't really had to do since coming here. Since I'd prefer to see us draft a future LT early in this draft, the competition for RT may have to come through free agency. There's bound to be someone out there we can look towards.

Now, can we get all this done in one offseason? I kind of doubt it. Because there are other positions besides the OL that will need attention as well. If I had to choose, I think LT and C would be priorities to try and address this year. Let's try to find a LT and C of the future, see if we can't find someone in-house or on the cheap to push Barron at RT (maybe our future LT cuts his teeth on the right side?), and then give Setterstrom and Greco every opportunity to beat out Incognito at RG.

NGSeiler
11-16-2008, 04:50 PM
So this is, like, 82 points given up in the last six quarters, right?

I think the defense might need some work. :mad:

yodabear
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
So this is, like, 82 points given up in the last six quarters, right?

I think the defense might need some work. :mad:

To a team led by Brett Favre, thats excuseable. But the Niners with JT O'Sullivan and company?

Geo
11-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm interested to see what the Rams do at center.

As NGSeiler noted, there are three top-notch prospects leading this year's class. There could also be a free agent veteran like Jeff Saturday or maybe Matt Birk, a pro who could stabilize the line and set the example/tone. Like what Kevin Mawae did for Tennessee.

holt_bruce81
11-16-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm interested to see what the Rams do at center.

As NGSeiler noted, there are three top-notch prospects leading this year's class. There could also be a free agent veteran like Jeff Saturday or maybe Matt Birk, a pro who could stabilize the line and set the example/tone. Like what Kevin Mawae did for Tennessee.

If Saturday and Birk can still play at the kind of level they are known for, I'm all for the Rams going after them this offseason. But, I'm sick and tired of the Rams getting Has-Beens.......Corey Chavous, Laroi Glover, Chris Draft, Dexter Coakley....

rockio42
11-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Didn't Jacob Bell play RT for the Titans before David Stewart established himself

and by the way Andre Smith is THE perfect pick for this team, put him at RT to get the hang of it and then kick back over to LT when we need him.

NGSieler, I actually think Rhomberg can be a good center, but he has been hurt all year so I don't know and so that brings me to my next question can a guy like Antione Caldwell (Center out of Alabam) play Gaurd too or is he strictly center?

nfrillman
11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Didn't Jacob Bell play RT for the Titans before David Stewart established himself

and by the way Andre Smith is THE perfect pick for this team, put him at RT to get the hang of it and then kick back over to LT when we need him.

NGSieler, I actually think Rhomberg can be a good center, but he has been hurt all year so I don't know and so that brings me to my next question can a guy like Antione Caldwell (Center out of Alabam) play Gaurd too or is he strictly center?

Romberg might end up being good, but I think this a good example of the delusions that are playing in Rams fans heads. We all just sit around and say, "I don't know what the problem is? We'eve got all these guys that are good?" Well, I was part of that group, but it's time to realize that majority of our players are not good. Even our best players for the most part are only average to slightly above average.

holt_bruce81
11-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Romberg might end up being good, but I think this a good example of the delusions that are playing in Rams fans heads. We all just sit around and say, "I don't know what the problem is? We'eve got all these guys that are good?" Well, I was part of that group, but it's time to realize that majority of our players are not good. Even our best players for the most part are only average to slightly above average.

Jackson and Avery are the only players I can think of that are "good" on the Rams. I like Bartell but I wouldn't put him in that category yet, Rams fans love Atogwe and think he's the Rams best defender but he's not. He's terrible in coverage and is a horrendous tackler, A lot of times he's just in the right position at the right time. Will Witherspoon has regressed this season, Rams need a true Middle Linebacker.

holt_bruce81
11-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Man I wish the Rams never got rid of Ryan Fitzpatrick, he's a very solid #2 Quarterback and at least gives Bulger some competition. Could of saved that 3 million they used on Trent Green. Fitzpatrick and Hedgecock.....GO LINEHAN!

PossumBoy9
11-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Anyone you draft is for the future, so let's skip the straw man argument that other picks would be selections just for "next year."

Cool....so now that we know the draft is for the future....why no QB in the first round? One is needed for the present, and certainly for the future.

You can't just keep trotting out a bad QB....simply because you're paying him. That's not smart at all.

holt_bruce81
11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Cool....so now that we know the draft is for the future....why no QB in the first round? One is needed for the present, and certainly for the future.

You can't just keep trotting out a bad QB....simply because you're paying him. That's not smart at all.

Rams could very well draft a Quarterback for the future, but it's not going to be in the 1st round. They have so many other needs right now. They'd be stupid to pay two Quarterbacks an insane amount of money.

NGSeiler
11-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Cool....so now that we know the draft is for the future....why no QB in the first round?

...seriously? I made a pretty in-depth post explaining "why no QB in the first round." In fact, it was the post you quoted and then cut down to one sentence in your response. So if you're seeking an answer to your question, I'd start there.

One is needed for the present, and certainly for the future.

Marc Bulger is here for the present, like it or not, because of his contract. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. And it's something the Rams (as well as those like you clamoring for a 1st-round QB) can't escape because the cap hit from moving him either by release or trade would be huge.

You can't suddenly make that contract disappear; you have to factor it into the future plans. Which is one of the main reasons why drafting a first-round QB makes little sense, as you'll be adding an additional $60+ million contract on top of Bulger's, tying up well over $100 million in contracts to two QBs. And you think that's smart?

I do agree, though, that we need a QB for the future... which is why I'd like to see us spend a mid-round pick on a guy we can afford to sit for a few years and groom to be ready. A mid-round prospect won't cost much, he'll be able to sit as a back-up and learn the NFL game, and there won't be the same amount of pressure to get him on the field early as there would be a first-round QB. It's the smart thing to do financially and developmentally for the QB.

holt_bruce81
11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Richie Incognito is a bum

PossumBoy9
11-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Rams could very well draft a Quarterback for the future, but it's not going to be in the 1st round. They have so many other needs right now. They'd be stupid to pay two Quarterbacks an insane amount of money.

Is it really any more insane than having money tied up in one QB, yet you don't have a QB.

The Rams need a QB.

You don't pass on a franchise QB....unless you have one.

PossumBoy9
11-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Marc Bulger is here for the present, like it or not, because of his contract. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. And it's something the Rams (as well as those like you clamoring for a 1st-round QB) can't escape because the cap hit from moving him either by release or trade would be huge.

You can't suddenly make that contract disappear; you have to factor it into the future plans.

Nobody is trying to "escape" from anything or make a contract disappear.

The Rams need a QB. End of story.

Will the Rams have a crack at Stafford? Probably not.

NGSeiler
11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Nobody is trying to "escape" from anything or make a contract disappear.

What else can one conclude? You've said nothing so far regarding how the Rams are going to carry two huge contracts at the QB position, which is what would happen if we took one in the first round as you advocate.

Instead, you've stuck with straw man arguments ("The draft is about the future....not next year") and generalities ("You can't just keep trotting out a bad QB" or "The Rams need a QB, end of story") that do nothing to counter or address any of the specific hurdles standing in the way of selecting a first-round passer.

When holt_bruce81 talks about the insanity of paying huge money to two QBs, you counter not by providing a solution as to how the Rams could make it work but rather by asking if it's any more insane than paying one QB huge money when (in your opinion) the Rams don't even have a QB.

Simple answer? Yes, tying up $120M+ in two QBs is more insane than paying one QB $65 million. Nevermind the fact that two huge money deals at one position hinder our ability to improve other areas of significant need (ie. OL, LB, DB, DL, WR) that are standing in the way of this team being even remotely competitive.

So again, what else is one to conclude except thinking you're ignoring or trying to escape the reality of Bulger's contract?

PossumBoy9
11-24-2008, 05:48 PM
What else can one conclude? You've said nothing so far regarding how the Rams are going to carry two huge contracts at the QB position, which is what would happen if we took one in the first round as you advocate.

Instead, you've stuck with straw man arguments ("The draft is about the future....not next year") and generalities ("You can't just keep trotting out a bad QB" or "The Rams need a QB, end of story") that do nothing to counter or address any of the specific hurdles standing in the way of selecting a first-round passer.

When holt_bruce81 talks about the insanity of paying huge money to two QBs, you counter not by providing a solution as to how the Rams could make it work but rather by asking if it's any more insane than paying one QB huge money when (in your opinion) the Rams don't even have a QB.

Simple answer? Yes, tying up $120M+ in two QBs is more insane than paying one QB $65 million. Nevermind the fact that two huge money deals at one position hinder our ability to improve other areas of significant need (ie. OL, LB, DB, DL, WR) that are standing in the way of this team being even remotely competitive.

So again, what else is one to conclude except thinking you're ignoring or trying to escape the reality of Bulger's contract?

First of all, knowing the reality of Bulger's contract will help. He's really not a $65M QB, so there's no need to pretend that he is. His guaranteed money was $27M....so that's all the Rams are tied into.

I'm no salary cap expert, so I'd like to know what the cap hit would be if he were released before or after June 1, 2009.

Since I'd probably keep Bulger to possibly start in '09, cutting or trading him in 2010 might be more ideal.

The Rams are a nothing team right now that needs a completely new foundation. Quarterback is obviously the most important single position on a football team, so it's certainly a good place to start.

With the state the Rams are in, letting $27M get in the way of landing a potentially special player in Matthew Stafford wouldn't be wise.

No need to try to scare with talk of $65M being tied up in Bulger, as it's false.

NGSeiler
11-24-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm no salary cap expert, so I'd like to know what the cap hit would be if he were released before or after June 1, 2009.

I asked this very question of Howard Balzer last week. He said the hit from cutting or trading Bulger after this season would be $11 million. For the season after, obviously it depends on whether or not there's a salary cap.

With the state the Rams are in, letting $27M get in the way of landing a potentially special player in Matthew Stafford wouldn't be wise.

Do you honestly think money shouldn't affect the decisions teams make? Or that it's wise of teams to ignore the financial implications of their decisions if it means acquiring a "potentially special player?"

This is a team with major needs across the board. Frankly as Rams fans, we're probably more hard pressed to find areas that don't need to be addressed than those that do. We're not talking about quick fixes; this team is in need of talent for the next decade at these positions. And yes, need is an issue. Earlier in this thread you railed against foolish calls for need picks, yet you defend the pick of a QB how? "The Rams need a QB." The Rams need more than a QB, though. They need just about EVERYTHING: offensive line, defensive line, linebacker corps, secondary, quarterback, receiver.

But I can't see how the Rams can make a serious effort to begin addressing those positions if they hand out another franchise-record $65+ million contract to a passer for the second time in three seasons. Those kinds of deals have consequences, and the consequences of investing that much in one position means you're going to hinder your ability to address other spots. The combined cap charge for Bulger and a high first-round rookie quarterback is going to eat up a notable portion of next year's salary cap. Cutting Bulger after 2009 will reduce his accelerated cap hit from what it would be after this season, but it will likely still be a significant number. Again, that's going to have an effect on this team.

Yes, quarterback is one of the most important positions on a football team. No one is denying that. But it's also a position that, perhaps more than any other, is dependent on the other offensive players in order to achieve success. That starts with the protection, which then immediately turns the focus on the blind-side tackle. Pace, who turned 33 this year, has been banged up and has missed time for three seasons now. The end of his career is closing in, and we have nothing behind him. That's not an exaggeration, unless you think Adam Goldberg is something.

Do we really want to continue to expose whomever our quarterback of the future is to the kind of punishment that damaged both Warner and Bulger? The Rams will be in a position to take an elite tackle to replace Pace and help rebuild the line for the next decade. If you want to talk about starting with the foundation, then the OL is the perfect place to start. Whomever the QB is, he's not going to achieve his special potential without talent protecting him, talent which we'll be hard-pressed to acquire with so much money tied up in two guys at one position.

holt_bruce81
11-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Chris Gamble signed a 6-year extension with the Panthers today. He was IMO the only DB worth really going after this offseason.

NGSeiler
11-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Chris Gamble signed a 6-year extension with the Panthers today. He was IMO the only DB worth really going after this offseason.

Wonder if this makes them less likely to retain Jordan Gross.

holt_bruce81
11-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Wonder if this makes them less likely to retain Jordan Gross.

Hopefully, he should be #1 on the Rams wishlist this offseason.

RaiderNation
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
If Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez are avalible, would you guys draft one of them? Bulger looks pretty horrible, and it seems like you guys need a new young QB. I also believe Pace will stay with you guys for longer than expected so drafting Andre Smith wont be needed. Malcolm Jenkins is also a big possibility. So take your pick:

Matt Stafford QB
Mark Sanchez QB
Andre Smith OT
Malcolm Jenkins CB

holt_bruce81
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Game was horrible today.

Why on 3rd down did Bulger constantly look for Dane Looker? it's DANE LOOKER come on, this team has like 6 better options.

yodabear
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
This is sad, can we be competetive for one half? That all we are asking of u, an NFL team/franchise. Be competetive in one half. I guess we were competetive against the Dolphins, but our offense didn't want to score. Hell, can we reach 20 points maybe before the other team reaches 30? I mean, c'mon, at least the Lions showed up today.

NGSeiler
12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
If Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez are avalible, would you guys draft one of them?

At this stage, I would hope not. Ignoring the salary cap and roster implications that his contract would help bring about, the immediate expectations from drafting Stafford high will force him onto the field before he's ready and before the Rams have adequately built up the talent around him. The last thing the Rams should do is expose their future franchise passer to the kind of beatings that damaged Warner and Bulger over most of the last decade. As for Sanchez, definitely not in the first, maybe in the second, but I'd be more inclined to look his way in the third or so.

The Rams need to look for a QB of the future, but I would do it in the middle rounds. I really just do not see how the Rams go after a high first round QB after just signing Bulger to a big deal last summer. Even with PossumBoy arguing for Stafford, I haven't seen any real specifics about how the Rams work around Bulger's contract while also adding a new rookie one. Meanwhile, a mid round QB won't be as expensive and can sit on the bench and learn, which any QB the Rams add will have to do. If Bulger continues to struggle with an improved team, the Rams could always look for a passer high next season, as the pickings will likely be good even if a junior or two declares this year.

You say you think Pace will stay for a while. How long? He's 33 years old now and can't seem to make it through a season healthy. He hasn't played a full 16-game season since 2005. He has three years left on his contract, all of which are pretty expensive salary-wise. Unless he restructures, it's going to be hard to justify that price at his age with his injuries and level of play. Even if the Rams can justify it, they need to find an eventual replacement - (1) for when Pace retires and (2) to immediately upgrade our back-up LT from Adam Goldberg.

Right now I would lean OT, and the highest rated one seems to be Smith. Malcolm Jenkins is an interesting option, because the Rams' D is simply horrible at nearly every position, including the secondary. Jenkins could give the Rams a true #1 corner that can challenge the opposition's best receiver. But it'd be hard to take a corner, IMO, if in doing so you bypass a potential franchise LT.

holt_bruce81
12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
At this stage, I would hope not. Ignoring the salary cap and roster implications that his contract would help bring about, the immediate expectations from drafting Stafford high will force him onto the field before he's ready and before the Rams have adequately built up the talent around him. The last thing the Rams should do is expose their future franchise passer to the kind of beatings that damaged Warner and Bulger over most of the last decade. As for Sanchez, definitely not in the first, maybe in the second, but I'd be more inclined to look his way in the third or so.

The Rams need to look for a QB of the future, but I would do it in the middle rounds. I really just do not see how the Rams go after a high first round QB after just signing Bulger to a big deal last summer. Even with PossumBoy arguing for Stafford, I haven't seen any real specifics about how the Rams work around Bulger's contract while also adding a new rookie one. Meanwhile, a mid round QB won't be as expensive and can sit on the bench and learn, which any QB the Rams add will have to do. If Bulger continues to struggle with an improved team, the Rams could always look for a passer high next season, as the pickings will likely be good even if a junior or two declares this year.

You say you think Pace will stay for a while. How long? He's 33 years old now and can't seem to make it through a season healthy. He hasn't played a full 16-game season since 2005. He has three years left on his contract, all of which are pretty expensive salary-wise. Unless he restructures, it's going to be hard to justify that price at his age with his injuries and level of play. Even if the Rams can justify it, they need to find an eventual replacement - (1) for when Pace retires and (2) to immediately upgrade our back-up LT from Adam Goldberg.

Right now I would lean OT, and the highest rated one seems to be Smith. Malcolm Jenkins is an interesting option, because the Rams' D is simply horrible at nearly every position, including the secondary. Jenkins could give the Rams a true #1 corner that can challenge the opposition's best receiver. But it'd be hard to take a corner, IMO, if in doing so you bypass a potential franchise LT.

The only reason I'm hesitant on taking Jenkins is because the Rams do have a lot of young Corners. Tye Hill, Ron Bartell, Jonathon Wade, Justin King......Hopefully they can step it up next season.

NGSeiler
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
The only reason I'm hesitant on taking Jenkins is because the Rams do have a lot of young Corners. Tye Hill, Ron Bartell, Jonathon Wade, Justin King......Hopefully they can step it up next season.

Bartell is a free agent after this year, though. So Jenkins becomes more likely if we can't retain Bartell. But even if we keep Bartell, I don't think you pass on Jenkins simply because you've got guys like Bartell, Hill, Wade, and King. Bartell is solid but I think a bit overrated by Rams fans - he's good but I don't think he's the true #1 corner for this team. The others are either question marks or disappointments. I still want the Rams to look OT with their first pick, but maybe when it's all said and done, they're not buying into Andre Smith (or maybe he's gone when they pick) and don't have Oher or Monroe ranked as highly on their big board. In that kind of situation, Jenkins I think becomes a good option.

holt_bruce81
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Bartell is a free agent after this year, though. So Jenkins becomes more likely if we can't retain Bartell. But even if we keep Bartell, I don't think you pass on Jenkins simply because you've got guys like Bartell, Hill, Wade, and King. Bartell is solid but I think a bit overrated by Rams fans - he's good but I don't think he's the true #1 corner for this team. The others are either question marks or disappointments. I still want the Rams to look OT with their first pick, but maybe when it's all said and done, they're not buying into Andre Smith (or maybe he's gone when they pick) and don't have Oher or Monroe ranked as highly on their big board. In that kind of situation, Jenkins I think becomes a good option.

Bartell is clearly the Rams best Corner, he's not a #1 but he's a good #2. If Rams don't resign him I'll be very disappointed. I mean who did he cover this year? T.O, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, Lee Evans, Larry Fitzgerald, Jericho Cotchery......He did a pretty solid job against all of them.

PossumBoy9
12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Earlier in this thread you railed against foolish calls for need picks, yet you defend the pick of a QB how? "The Rams need a QB." The Rams need more than a QB, though. They need just about EVERYTHING: offensive line, defensive line, linebacker corps, secondary, quarterback, receiver.

I'm merely saying that QB shouldn't be regarded as a non-need position, which I think some will try to do.

Sadly, the Rams have needs everywhere. Take the best talent for the long-term....end of story.

PossumBoy9
12-22-2008, 09:47 AM
If Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez are avalible, would you guys draft one of them? Bulger looks pretty horrible, and it seems like you guys need a new young QB. I also believe Pace will stay with you guys for longer than expected so drafting Andre Smith wont be needed. Malcolm Jenkins is also a big possibility. So take your pick:

Matt Stafford QB
Mark Sanchez QB
Andre Smith OT
Malcolm Jenkins CB

If available, I take Stafford at this point.

neko4
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Hey just seeing if anyone would like to join the new Forum Mock.
Right now only one person has signed up to be the GM of the Rams and there is also an expansion team in this forum mock. So go check it out. Signups are scheduled to end Sunday night.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28445