PDA

View Full Version : Noel Devine

whokevjones
06-22-2008, 09:30 AM
I was wondering where you guys thought noel devine will get drafted when he declares

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 09:53 AM
well i know he's not coming out this year, he's a RS sophmore now right? He really can't be a full time back yet from what i've seen but he surely has the potential to be one. He is fast and agile yet he still packs a punch. I dont think he'd be drafted high in any circumstance because of his offensive scheme. Im thinking right now mid second.

whokevjones
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Yea at first i was thinking the same thing but if chris johnson can get drafted in the first i think Devine can also. I think Noel is better then Johnson as a prospect

jsa230
06-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Noel is CRAZY. If this kid stays healthy and out of trouble i dont see him falling out of the first. He is, in my mind, right up there with peterson and bush as a prospect. I mean, this guy is unreal...before anyone argues with me go watch him on youtube and see if your perspective is changed.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Noel is CRAZY. If this kid stays healthy and out of trouble i dont see him falling out of the first. He is, in my mind, right up there with peterson and bush as a prospect. I mean, this guy is unreal...before anyone argues with me go watch him on youtube and see if your perspective is changed.

Ah yes. Highlight videos. They always tell the whole story.

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 10:46 AM
He is definitely not right up there with Peterson and Bush. Peterson broke the NCAA freshman rushing record, Bush was probably one of the top 20 greatest college football players all time IMO, but he also didnt carry the load so we will never know how good he couldve been.

Devine is a good player, his personality is not good, but he has talent. We'll see what happens.

Addict
06-22-2008, 11:17 AM
how tall is he? He looks like a midget...

whokevjones
06-22-2008, 11:24 AM
5'8 170 pounds

Staubach12
06-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Sure, the kid has talent. However, to hold up in the NFL, I want to see him put on at the very least 20 more pounds; probably more. Can he keep his speed with that weight? Doubtful. As mentioned, personality could be a question. Also, the guy won't break tackles.

Here's the good news: with NFL carries becoming more and more split up, he could be used as a scat back in the NFL. He has good speed, great agility, and very good balance.

I want to see more of him. 76 carries is not too comforting.

Addict
06-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Sure, the kid has talent. However, to hold up in the NFL, I want to see him put on at the very least 20 more pounds; probably more. Can he keep his speed with that weight? Doubtful. As mentioned, personality could be a question. Also, the guy won't break tackles.

Here's the good news: with NFL carries becoming more and more split up, he could be used as a scat back in the NFL. He has good speed, great agility, and very good balance.

I want to see more of him. 76 carries is not too comforting.

if he spreads the weight properly he will keep his speed. He does need to carry the rock more often.

06-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Late first-early second range is where I got him for now very premature in the process. To his credit for a little guy he appears to have a fairly strong lower body.

Addict
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Late first-early second range is where I got him for now very premature in the process. To his credit for a little guy he appears to have a fairly strong lower body.

I'm curious about his stamina.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-22-2008, 12:10 PM
5'8 170 pounds

5'8? I've seen that, but I can't see that being true. I'd think he's more in the 5'6-5'7 range.

LonghornsLegend
06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
He could end up being a Jerious Norwood type, but he still has a ways to go before that level and that should tell you something about how ready he would be to play in the NFL now...Norwood is probably 30 lbs heavier, just as quick/fast, and he's still considered too small to run between the tackles or be the primary back.

I could too easily see him not ever getting up again on a punt return or kick return, so while its nice to have a guy with his type of speed, players in the NFL as a whole are completely different then a college defense.

foozball
06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
devine or trindon holliday?

PACKmanN
06-22-2008, 12:46 PM
http://wvmountaintop.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/lyonsdevine.jpg

5'8? 5'6? more like 4'0.

MidwayMonster31
06-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Wes Lyons is 6'8, if that's worth anything. Devine has huge legs from that picture. He will probably end up as a Darren Sproles type scat back.

Addict
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Wes Lyons is 6'8, if that's worth anything. Devine has huge legs from that picture. He will probably end up as a Darren Sproles type scat back.

Lyons is freakin' huge I agree.

06-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Great comparison, that sounds about right except Devine is expected to go a few rounds higher than Sproles did.

Crickett
06-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Darren Sproles was a fourth round draft pick and phenominal in college if that indicates what will happen with Noel Devine.

Bruce Banner
06-22-2008, 01:30 PM
There are so many factors that play into this that I can't really accurately project how well he is going to do in the pros, but I will try. First of all if he went to a team like the Patriots....he would be an insane threat. They would fully utilize his athleticism and ability to play in the slot.
Now just based on talent he should be at least average in the NFL. If he puts some weight on he should be pretty durable. You have to remember this kid is built like a brick house, just completely solid. He puts up 400 on the bench and he is only 170. Now I know that strength isn't an indicator of durability but it shows me that he is one strong dude that will fight through the punishment he will be receiving from NFL defenses.
His mental makeup kind of scares me. I have been to and from the area he grew up in (used to live in Tampa) and its not a good place. The fact that he had two kids before he graduated high school is a nice example of his lack of maturity or his bad decision making.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-22-2008, 01:49 PM
It all depends on how much more weight he can manage to put on, in my opinion. I love the way the kid runs though.

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Darren Sproles is 5'6'' 181
Noel Devine is 5'8'' 170

id say thats a signifigant difference.

'cuse-213
06-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Darren Sproles is 5'6'' 181
Noel Devine is 5'8'' 170

id say thats a signifigant difference.

Eh. I doubt thats what Devine is. Id say the same as Sproles actually. 5'6 180.

BaLLiN
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
wikipedia does not lie! also neither does WVU, this is his profile from their school website. http://www.msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=101466&sport=football

Staubach12
06-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised by the hype this guy is getting here. When I see Devine, I see a guy that is a lot like Darren Sproles and Garrett Wolfe minus one thing: amount of production. I wouldn't touch this guy before the middle of the fourth or fifth round.

Addict
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm surprised by the hype this guy is getting here. When I see Devine, I see a guy that is a lot like Darren Sproles and Garrett Wolfe minus one thing: amount of production. I wouldn't touch this guy before the middle of the fourth or fifth round.

still has an entire season to go though. If he still doesn't produce, I can't disagree with you.

LonghornsLegend
06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I won't put too much stock into what a schools website or wikipedia says about a guys weight or height, it means absolutely nothing until he shows up at the combines...I can think of countless guys who showed up shorter then we thought they were for 3 years, lighter, heavier, program guides never list a players exact height and weight.

Eagles own the NFC East
06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd take a chance on him in the 2nd round but no way 1st.

Mr.Regular
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
When all is said and done I think you could be right. His size will really limit him. Sproles is a pretty fair comparison. Plus after the Reggie Bush lovefest went down the drain the obsession with smaller, quicker backs has kind of died down. Id put him in a round 3-4 range to be safe but then again another season of production (or lack of) could push him up or down. We will see.

703SKINS202
06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I dont understand how anyone can say he has lacked production. He hasn't been given the chance to carry the bulk of the load but when he was brought in for Slaton he did amazing. 8.6 average on 73 carries with 6 touchdowns to go along with it. The dude is as explosive as anyone in cfb and if he can show that he can take on a heavier load and maintain performance I can't see him going past the 2nd round.

Bruce Banner
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I dont understand how anyone can say he has lacked production. He hasn't been given the chance to carry the bulk of the load but when he was brought in for Slaton he did amazing. 8.6 average on 73 carries with 6 touchdowns to go along with it. The dude is as explosive as anyone in cfb and if he can show that he can take on a heavier load and maintain performance I can't see him going past the 2nd round.

I also didn't understand that reasoning. For a few games he was the work horse that would get WV into the red zone and then they would pound the rock with Slaton and the psycho FB. He wasn't really rewarded for his effort.

TheGreatEscape
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Devine reminds me a lot of MJD

Staubach12
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
I really hope that MJD comment was a joke.

Also, 703, 73 carries in one year is fine, but not a guy I'd take a big chance on in early rounds unless there is a massive jump in his carries. He's a late round prospect in my mind.

'cuse-213
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
wikipedia does not lie! also neither does WVU, this is his profile from their school website. http://www.msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=101466&sport=football

School webistes lie all the time. andd wiki lol

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I really hope that MJD comment was a joke.

Also, 703, 73 carries in one year is fine, but not a guy I'd take a big chance on in early rounds unless there is a massive jump in his carries. He's a late round prospect in my mind.

You do realize that he only had 73 carries because of Heisman candidate Steve Slaton, who was drafted by the the Texans just 2 months ago. With Slaton out Devine will get a lot more carries.

As for the MJD comparison, I think they have a lot of similarities, size, explosiveness and strong lower body.

draftguru151
06-23-2008, 12:08 PM
You do realize that he only had 73 carries because of Heisman candidate Steve Slaton, who was drafted by the the Texans just 2 months ago. With Slaton out Devine will get a lot more carries.

As well as being a true freshman who is 2 years away from being draft eligible.

Woody56
06-23-2008, 12:16 PM

As for the MJD comparison, I think they have a lot of similarities, size, explosiveness and strong lower body.

Expect MJD has 40+ pounds on Devine

'cuse-213
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
How much did MJD weigh in his freshman year?

draftguru151
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
190 coming out of high school according to rivals and scout.

'cuse-213
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Then I like the comparison alot.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-23-2008, 12:55 PM
http://wvmountaintop.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/lyonsdevine.jpg

5'8? 5'6? more like 4'0.

As mentioned Lyons is a monster, and Devine's near are bent. Still, I think he's in the 5'6 range.

draftguru151
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I stood next to him at a camp about a year and a half ago and it didn't look a half foot shorter than me (I'm 6-0). I'd say at worst he's a between 5-7 and 5-8.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Devine's still got time to add weight, but I'm not even sure if he has to add too much. He's got a really powerful lower body and looks a solid 180 already.

farfromforgotten
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm a big WVU fan and I love watching Devine play but I see him getting a lot of hype of the next couple of seasons and, by draft day, taking a similar fall as Steve Slaton.

The NFL is primarily a two-back system now. I could see him being picked by a team that already has more of a bruiser type at RB all ready.

djp
06-23-2008, 04:06 PM
He'll be drafted in the late first-early second round range.

The scouts will say he is an explosive back, say he's the best RB in the draft, and then once it gets to about a month before the draft, they'll start talking about his character concerns and size issues. They will question whether or not he can handle 20 carries a game in the NFL.

Touchdown djp

Staubach12
06-23-2008, 04:26 PM

First of all, Slaton had a disappointing season by all accounts, but I understand the situation. Also, I'm hesitant to declare someone a high pick with such little tape on him. Yes. he made a small impact last year. The question then become, can he expand on that impact next year at WVU? Then, can he make an impact in the NFL? I'm hesitant to say that yes to that last question. It's easy to shock defenses when you're the unknown variable, but when teams see more and more of him, we'll truly see what kind of player he is.

As for the comparison, MJD is 40 lbs heavier than Devine.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/stblonghorn19/maurice-jones-drew-3.jpg http://www.noeldevineonline.org/images/noel-devine.jpg

Comparable size? No. Drew is a more complete back, too. Not very similar at all, IMO.

Brent
06-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Comparable size? No. Drew is a more complete back, too. Not very similar at all, IMO.
Yeah, MJD has thighs that are like tree trunks.

'cuse-213
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Find a pic of MJD in his freshman year and Ill bet they look similar.

Bruce Banner
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
The main thing we have to remember when assessing the size of Noel is his strength.
He is within the top .001 % of people when you measure strength pound per pound.
He might not have the tree trunks of MJD but he is as strong and fast I believe.

Whether he could hit people with as much power isn't even close. He is too light. Also his durability, its fine until he gets hurt if you ask me.
(If you can't sense this sarcasm, just no)

brat316
06-23-2008, 04:51 PM
what about Deanglo Williams

Bruce Banner
06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
what about Deanglo Williams

Thats a decent comparison but wasn't Deangelo bigger.
I think Noel is more explosive, a lot more.

Bengals78
06-27-2008, 09:52 AM

I agree with pretty much everything youve said so far.
I dont see Devine being anything more than Darren Sproles. My opinion is open to change after this season. if he has a monster season and can add 20 pounds of solid muscle he could be a factor in the first two rounds.

Duster
06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree with pretty much everything youve said so far.
I dont see Devine being anything more than Darren Sproles. My opinion is open to change after this season. if he has a monster season and can add 20 pounds of solid muscle he could be a factor in the first two rounds.

20 pounds of muscle? He's like 5' 7"...

BamaFalcon59
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
People are really underrating Devine's tackle breaking ability. Comparing it to Wolfe's is a joke.

kwilk103
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
hes about 5'7

benches 405lbs

some character concerns (3 kids); been in 1 bar fight (called ft meyers paper on his own behalf and told his story; said kid threatened him; even the details are sketch; kid was beat up by 6 d-1 fball players and only had a busted lip)

he did go back home couple weeks ago and organized his own fball camp for elementary-middle school kids; his idea and him, his hs coaches, and old teammates ran it; free of charge

Bruce Banner
06-28-2008, 12:09 AM
hes about 5'7

benches 405lbs

some character concerns (3 kids); been in 1 bar fight (called ft meyers paper on his own behalf and told his story; said kid threatened him; even the details are sketch; kid was beat up by 6 d-1 fball players and only had a busted lip)

he did go back home couple weeks ago and organized his own fball camp for elementary-middle school kids; his idea and him, his hs coaches, and old teammates ran it; free of charge

I am not concerned about the fight but rather concerned where the fight took place. I didn't know bars let in 17 year olds....

kwilk103
06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
I am not concerned about the fight but rather concerned where the fight took place. I didn't know bars let in 17 year olds....

in wv, its 18 to party, 21 to drink

there are some 21 and up clubs

but the one he was at was 18 and up; perfectly fine, he was allowed to be in there

Hokie_Pokie08
06-28-2008, 05:29 AM
Find a pic of MJD in his freshman year and Ill bet they look similar.

http://starbulletin.com/2002/09/22/sports/art.jpg

Tank.

wicket
06-28-2008, 06:14 AM
in wv, its 18 to party, 21 to drink

there are some 21 and up clubs

but the one he was at was 18 and up; perfectly fine, he was allowed to be in there
So fun to read, where i am from its common to go out party and drink from age 14-15, whilst its officially legit from age 16, to go and find a guy of 18 in a bar a sign of bad character seems just weird given my place of birth. But then again its probably completely legit to have questions about it if you are american cause the culture concerning alcohol is just different.

Go_Eagles77
06-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't know if this is already said but I think he's more like a cross somewhere between MJD and Darren Sproles.

Don Vito
06-28-2008, 05:26 PM
He's only a freshman, we'll have to wait and see how he develops. He could be like MJD but I think he has more potential that. I am not comparing him to Barry Sanders, but he does have a similar game and skillset to Sanders. I don't know if we will ever see another Barry Sanders, however.

Rob S
07-01-2008, 08:32 AM
someone will fall in love and take him in the first....its always happens with devine-type players. Not saying he is unworthy, but I cant see him out of the first despite his limitations.

Sniper
07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
someone will fall in love and take him in the first....its always happens with devine-type players. Not saying he is unworthy, but I cant see him out of the first despite his limitations.

Examples please?

keylime_5
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
The Sproles comparisons are a lot more accurate than the Jones-Drew comparisons. Drew is short like Devine at around 5'7", but he is also a powerful and physical guy who can run between the tackles like a bowling ball at around 210 pounds going as fast as he runs. Devine is more like Sproles who is a small 180 or less lb. guy who you can use to return kicks and use creatively in the offense like San Diego does. Never gonna be a feature RB in the NFL with his game but that doesn't mean that he can't be a good player.

Solomon
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Examples please?

I guess one example would be Warrick Dunn.

I think that Devine and Dunn share some similarities, despite their small size both can run between the tackles well because they find holes and slash through them.

TheBuffaloBills
07-01-2008, 12:14 PM
If MJD and Sproles hooked up and had a baby, it would be Noel Devine.

lordquas
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
dont knock him for his height. people did that with barry sanders and look what happened. height isnt **** when your a runningback. hell, being smalls even an advantage at times. and for a man of his height, hes pretty jacked. add that with great speed and tremendous elusiveness, you've gotta draft this guy within the first 3 rounds. we'll see how he does this season and i suspect a heisman esque season.forreal

kwilk103
07-02-2008, 02:59 AM
there were a couple games last year where players had a clean shot at him and he either juked them out of their shoes or just bounced off of them

check his highlights from the maryland and oklahoma games

Sniper
07-02-2008, 09:18 AM
dont knock him for his height. people did that with barry sanders and look what happened. height isnt **** when your a runningback. hell, being smalls even an advantage at times. and for a man of his height, hes pretty jacked. add that with great speed and tremendous elusiveness, you've gotta draft this guy within the first 3 rounds. we'll see how he does this season and i suspect a heisman esque season.forreal

If any WVU player is going to win the Heisman this year (none will, but humor me), it's going to be Pat White.

TACKLE
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM

I agree that height isn't really an issue with RB's but you can't say people knocked Barry for his height; he was the 3rd overall pick.

Brent
07-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I agree that height isn't really an issue with RB's but you can't say people knocked Barry for his height; he was the 3rd overall pick.
yeah, and he had like a 2000 yard season too, if I remember correctly.

kwilk103
07-04-2008, 07:48 PM
devines testing numbers

Squat 475
Bench press 405
Vertical 41"
40 time 4.30

chart for rest of players

http://i31.tinypic.com/290r2b7.jpg

Sniper
07-04-2008, 08:28 PM
devines testing numbers

Squat 475
Bench press 405
Vertical 41"
40 time 4.30

chart for rest of players

http://i31.tinypic.com/290r2b7.jpg

Some sick numbers. The squat is actually easier for guys like him, with him being 5'7", but 475 is absurd.

kwilk103
07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
he benched 315 as a freshman in hs

i'd like to see his 20yd dash (like our lineman do, they dont run 40s); he has one of the fastest accelerations i've ever seen

oh, white ran a 4.45 for those that didnt click the chart---5th fastest on the team

lordquas
07-04-2008, 11:20 PM
how about jarrett brown as an nfl prospect. good size n speed. nice arm too.

TACKLE
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah, and he had like a 2000 yard season too, if I remember correctly.

Including the bowl game, 2850 yards, 43 Rushing TD's, 2 Rec TD.

One of the greatest single-seasons in sports history.

kwilk103
07-05-2008, 12:11 AM
how about jarrett brown as an nfl prospect. good size n speed. nice arm too.

ran a 4.46

JwHoJwEeZy
07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
this is my take on noel devine: in terms of sheer talent, noel devine could easily be a team's #1 RB in the NFL. his vision, speed, balance (not being taken down and rather just spinning off of tackles or bouncing off), and his ball-carrying moves (jukes/stutter steps/spins/change of direction) are all truly incredible. some people can make the argument that he hasn't been spectacular @ WVU, but then again, its WVU. Devine is running the ball behind a semi-decent offensive line which gives him mediocre blocking at best. if devine went to miami or any of the other top schools tht were recruiting him he would certainly be putting up better #s. As for the draft, depending on how well he does in the 2009 season he very well might come out for the draft. The 2010 draft class isn't very HB heavy and waiting until the 2011 draft may severely drop his value (this is of course depending on what junior RBs decide to come out for the 2010 draft: so this could all change). Whenever Devine declares for the draft, what round he goes is really controversial and up for grabs. Devine's size will surely effect him on draft day, but then again we will have to wait and see how tall and how uch he weights really is, he could very well be 5'9 190lbs or even 5'6 170lbs; colleges are always so inaccurate on this. If Devine puts up 1,400 yards and 10 TDs with a 6 yards-per-carry or higher, he will definately be a late-1st/or early-2nd rounder. whenever he gets drafted, he will likely be a 3rd down RB and used as a "change-of-pace"-back, much like Chris Johnson to Lendell White, as well as a kick returner. i guess that he will eventually get a role similar to Chris Johnson, where he starts until the read-zone or until there's a short-yardage situation.