PDA

View Full Version : Comedian George Carlin dies in Los Angeles at 71

Brodeur
06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin's routine were indecent, and that the government's broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

Rest of Article here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

Carlin was pretty much my favorite comedian ever so this news just really sucks and 2008 continues to be a ****** year for deaths.

Bruce Banner
06-23-2008, 12:44 AM
mother ******* piece of **** death! **** IT **** IT!

StripedWalrus
06-23-2008, 12:49 AM
this indeed sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is my fav comedian...I remember one time when I was real young I stayed up real late and watched his "Fine and Dandy" skit on late night TV.

This really really sucks!!!!

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 12:53 AM
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

this can't be. i can't believe this, this sucks so ******* bad. Carlin was a god.

Go_Eagles77
06-23-2008, 12:59 AM
One of my all-time favorite comedians. Yet another great comedian has lost his life while somehow Carrot Top gets to continue his.

RIP

BrownsTown
06-23-2008, 01:04 AM
God damn, RIP you crazy mofo. This is just a huge downer.

WMD
06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Wow. Rest in Peace to a comedy legend.

Bruce Banner
06-23-2008, 01:12 AM
I still cannot grasp this. It is like the death of Steve Irwin. I know it happened but my mind can't grasp it.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 01:17 AM
I still cannot grasp this. It is like the death of Steve Irwin. I know it happened but my mind can't grasp it.

Except the death of steve irwin made me laugh and this just makes me wanna cry or push back sobriety again. THE MAN WENT TO ******* CONGRESS TO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Bruce Banner
06-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Except the death of steve irwin made me laugh and this just makes me wanna cry or push back sobriety again. THE MAN WENT TO ******* CONGRESS TO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH

Is it bad that we are both laughing now? I don't want to satirize Steve Irwin's death but it just seems like the animal kingdom had an ongoing hit out for him.

StripedWalrus
06-23-2008, 01:28 AM
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

this can't be. i can't believe this, this sucks so ******* bad. Carlin was a god.

heh, I find it Ironic that you said he was god, heh.

CT Bronco Fan
06-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Truly a sad day. In honor of George Carlin I have only 7 words to say

****, Piss, ****, ****, ****-Sucker, Mother-******, and Tits

diabsoule
06-23-2008, 01:38 AM
God bless, Mr. Carlin. He was an inspiration for comedians everywhere. I know, I used to want to be one.

BTW, don't cuss

HChu
06-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Wow, he was one of the greatest stand-up comedians ever and he will be greatly missed.

StripedWalrus
06-23-2008, 01:45 AM
God bless, Mr. Carlin. He was an inspiration for comedians everywhere. I know, I used to want to be one.

BTW, don't cuss

I also find it ironic that someone said god bless George Carlin.

bah comedy will never be the same wihtout him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw diabsoule do you not know the 7 words you can say on tv??? everyone should be allowed to cuss here to honor him!

BigDawg819
06-23-2008, 01:54 AM
This truly is a sad state of affairs. Comedy has taken a dramatic step backwards.....

diabsoule
06-23-2008, 02:00 AM
I also find it ironic that someone said god bless George Carlin.

bah comedy will never be the same wihtout him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw diabsoule do you not know the 7 words you can say on tv??? everyone should be allowed to cuss here to honor him!

I do know the 7 words. Obviously you didn't read my post aside from God Bless part.

And no, you should not be allowed to cuss.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 02:18 AM
heh, I find it Ironic that you said he was god, heh.

;) Is it really?

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 02:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YphEUa5LPjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3av_qRR_DWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oboyox3L_MI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eFBfh9iDDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rlqjxst6xU

Go do yourself a favor and spend an hour watching his stuff on youtube.

StripedWalrus
06-23-2008, 02:39 AM
I do know the 7 words. Obviously you didn't read my post aside from God Bless part.

And no, you should not be allowed to cuss.

nope read your whole post...especially the no cussing part.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-23-2008, 02:55 AM
wow. i was in santa monica this evening, today feels odd now...

just found out, this sucks.

"****, Piss, ****, ****, ****sucker, mother****** and Tits"

ImBrotherCain
06-23-2008, 03:05 AM
RIP

One of the funniest people to grace this earth. His family and friends will be in my thoughts

Kurve
06-23-2008, 03:13 AM
OMFG!!!!!!!! i just got home read it and im in shock George Carlin was my favorite comedian of all time im deeply sad of this news :( i recently missed his show here in vegas and told my self im going to see him next time because he was a recent here in vegas but i truely wasnt fortunate enough to see him one more time. WOW im shocked RIP

BEST COMEDIAN OF ALL TIME!!!! for me anyways

Dr. Gonzo
06-23-2008, 03:25 AM
George Carlin was one of standup comedies all time greats and he will be sorely missed. It is a damn shame and the sadness I feel right now brings me back to the night Hunter S. Thompson shot himself. Damn.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-23-2008, 06:03 AM
RIP George Carlin.

xooberon
06-23-2008, 07:06 AM
man this is sad. guy really seemed to understand the world.

RIP

CJSchneider
06-23-2008, 07:46 AM
I didn't hold some of the same political or theological views he did, but he made me laugh. More importantly, he made me think.

PalmerToCJ
06-23-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm going to cuss like a sailor all *** **** mother ******* day for that **** sucking mother ******.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
101 greatest carlin quotes, it must have been hard limiting to it to 101, could have gone to a million

http://blogzarro.com/?p=226

bsaza2358
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Carlin has long been my favorite comedian. I remember when I was 10, my dad let me listen to an old Carlin record on his stereo. I used to listen to the records on Saturday nights when my parents would go out and laugh my arse off. When I had the means, I went to see him live. He was just as awesome in concert. The guy was just polished and dedicated to his craft. He was a sick SOB and very disturbed, but because he was so different, he was able to look at society and the status quo and completely crack on it. He was a counterculture revolutionary, but because his opinions got laughs, he was respected and revered by the status quo. The world lost a great man with great ideas.

steelersgirl5
06-23-2008, 11:18 AM
"So I say, “Live and let live.” That’s my motto. “Live and let live.” Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the ************. It’s a simple philosophy, but it’s always worked in our family."

rip

Staubach12
06-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow... I can barely believe this. RIP.

themaninblack
06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
One of the greats is gone. RIP George Carlin.

farfromforgotten
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I didn't hold some of the same political or theological views he did, but he made me laugh. More importantly, he made me think.

I agree.

Funny little tid bit I didnt know about Carlin is, until my son came along and got interested in trains, he narrorated several of the Thomas the Train videos. I was surprised.

Anyways, very funny man. Rest in Peace.

ccB
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
REST IN **** SUCKING ************* PEACE! One of, if not the best to ever step foot on a stage.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
REST IN **** SUCKING ************* PEACE! One of, if not the best to ever step foot on a stage.

And he had such a huge impact beyond simply his performances. I mean the old bastard went infront of congress to fight for our freedom of speech. RESPEKT.