PDA

View Full Version : Question

bearfan
06-23-2008, 12:56 AM
I dont know if this is lockable, but I would like to start a petition against some teen cerfew laws that we now have in Illinois. How would I go about doing this? Could it be done on a website like Facebook?

Im not getting into politics, so I think I am good on this thread.

Caddy
06-23-2008, 12:58 AM
You could create a facebook group about it.

MetSox17
06-23-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't know how much a Facebook group could influence the law in your community if it doesn't have a ton of members.

bearfan
06-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Would I only be able to target teens in my community? Or could I branch out to the state? How then would I get a rep to look at the group?

MetSox17
06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Would I only be able to target teens in my community? Or could I branch out to the state? How then would I get a rep to look at the group?

Well the only way you could get people to join is by advertising. In Facebook, all there is to do that is to spam the crap out of other groups, with similar goals that you're trying to accomplish. To then have a state representative to look at it, well i wouldn't know. Maybe with local news publicity on your subject.

LonghornsLegend
06-23-2008, 01:04 AM
What type of laws do they have as curfew, as far as times and age?

bearfan
06-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Haha Im trying so hard not to get into it. The new cerfew is 10pm on weekdays, and 11 on weekends for people 18 and under. Nuff said lol.

Well, like a signed petition, you could just print off the list of members. If it required signatures, we could get a member from the group from each school to get them, and mail the signatures to one person (me). Hmm this could work. +rep

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 01:09 AM

Get a bunch of people to email their representatives about it.

adschofield
06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Contact the State Capitol Building...They should know better than anyone else...Facebook Groups won't do jack

bearfan
06-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Thats what you think ;)

What would they email?

eaglesfan_45
Not only would you have you start a petition, you would have to find out the reasons why the new curfew is being enforced and counter them through well thought out and reasonable answers. This will be a long drawn out process and simply making a petition isn't going to get it done.

kwilk103
Haha Im trying so hard not to get into it. The new cerfew is 10pm on weekdays, and 11 on weekends for people 18 and under. Nuff said lol.

Well, like a signed petition, you could just print off the list of members. If it required signatures, we could get a member from the group from each school to get them, and mail the signatures to one person (me). Hmm this could work. +rep

thats not that bad

in pa under 18 cant drive after 11

in my city curfew is 10; thing is our movie theater wont sell you tickets if it ends after 10; and they wont let you in a restaurant after 10, but you can drive til 11

makes no sense; but im 20 and dont have to worry about it; its why my lil bro always wants to hang out with me and my friends now b/c they cant do anything

bearfan
06-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Not only would you have you start a petition, you would have to find out the reasons why the new curfew is being enforced and counter them through well thought out and reasonable answers. This will be a long drawn out process and simply making a petition isn't going to get it done.

Well it would be more to bring attention to our representative to bring about change. If the good taxpaying teens of his county want change, then its his job to do so.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Thats what you think ;)

What would they email?

If you get enough people bitching about the curfew you could get things done, what'll be key is getting adults to email the rep as well, because they'll ignore it if it's just a bunch of kids who can't even vote yet.

eaglesfan_45
06-23-2008, 01:42 AM
You're not going to get it done, its a pretty standard law. Here in Nevada its been in use since before I can remember. People still go out, but they don't get caught. What's an officer going to do? They're going to tell you to go home and then they're going to let you drive off. They'll have no clue if your actually going home, they use an honor system here in Vegas pretty much.

Turtlepower
06-23-2008, 01:46 AM
In NY, you can't drive after 9 if you are under 18.

Also, curfew laws aren't a bad idea, but some of them are a little stingent. But a 10 PM curfew Sunday through Thursday during the school year is very reasonable and should be in place.

StripedWalrus
06-23-2008, 01:49 AM
a petition for such a thing wont do anything. Besides you are going to need people of voting age to sign the petition. Those that arent of voting age don't have any say-so whatsoever. Not that Im saying that people of voting age have a say-so.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 02:19 AM
In NY, you can't drive after 9 if you are under 18.

Also, curfew laws aren't a bad idea, but some of them are a little stingent. But a 10 PM curfew Sunday through Thursday during the school year is very reasonable and should be in place.

please don't tempt me to argue politics.

Scotty D
06-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Don't waste your time. Deal with it. : / Seriously, a facebook group? Are you kidding me?

adschofield
06-23-2008, 03:07 AM
a petition for such a thing wont do anything. Besides you are going to need people of voting age to sign the petition. Those that arent of voting age don't have any say-so whatsoever. Not that Im saying that people of voting age have a say-so.

You're wrong

adschofield
06-23-2008, 03:08 AM
If you seriously want to do something about it, contact your State Representative...He'll know a lot more about the subject that a Football message board.

regoob2
06-23-2008, 08:29 AM
By the time you pass something it wont affect you. Just deal with it.

Duster
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
You think your representative will care about somebody who can't vote?

AlexDown
06-23-2008, 09:12 AM
By the time you pass something it wont affect you. Just deal with it.

Thats the spirit!

princefielder28
06-23-2008, 09:37 AM
You think your representative will care about somebody who can't vote?

yes because eventually those individuals will become his constituents

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 09:39 AM

Meh, a lot of them will be moving a way for college so it's realistically 5-6 years til any of them are really his constituents, and even then a lot fo them won't move back. So unless the threadstarter can get a lot of neighborhood adults to complain with him it'll probably end up fruitless.

Duster
06-23-2008, 10:05 AM

Ha, if only that were the way politics worked.

princefielder28
06-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Ha, if only that were the way politics worked.

what do you mean?

Duster
06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
what do you mean?

Young people don't vote.
Old people do, and they were likely the ones who wanted the law to begin with.
Politics is about the here and now, not the future so future votes mean nothing, especially young people's votes.
etc. etc. etc.

princefielder28
06-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Young people don't vote.
Politics is about the here and now, not the future so future votes mean nothing, especially young people's votes.
etc. etc. etc.

Mr. Obama agrees with you

Turtlepower
06-23-2008, 10:20 AM
And thus this thread has ended...

princefielder28
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
And thus this thread has ended...

good.......

Turtlepower
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
good.......

And I agree with you.

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 10:28 AM
IBTL

Obama may have gotten young people to vote more but he's the exception and not the rule.

critesy
06-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Canada ftw.

JF4
06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
HA! Another reason why Canada is better than the US. No city's here have any stupid curfew rules.

Watchman
06-23-2008, 12:49 PM
HA! Another reason why Canada is better than the US. No city's here have any stupid curfew rules.

I grew up on military bases and there were always curfews. At a certain age they were generally ignored. Something you just had to deal with.

JF4
06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I grew up on military bases and there were always curfews. At a certain age they were generally ignored. Something you just had to deal with.

Well then...

Excluding military bases, there is no curfews!

Watchman
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Well then...

Excluding military bases, there is no curfews!

Sorry, meant to say bases in the U.S. and Europe. Never in Canada.

critesy
06-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Sorry, meant to say bases in the U.S. and Europe. Never in Canada.

haha yes!! we still win.

MetSox17
06-23-2008, 02:35 PM

Well cities do that to prevent young hoodlums from being out and about damaging property. Pardon them for caring about their city.

adschofield
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Young people don't vote.
etc. etc. etc.

That's great, but I guarantee you if the State Rep gives a person the cold shoulder, even if it's a teenager, it's going to be damaging to varying degrees. The most likely option that the State Rep would take is letting the teenager know how the petition process works knowing that:
a. The Teen won't likely follow through
b. The petition won't likely affect anything

MetSox17
06-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Cclllooosseeeee!

TheGreatEscape
06-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Well cities do that to prevent young hoodlums from being out and about damaging property. Pardon them for caring about their city.

You realize that most people on this site were/are "hoodlums"

bearfan
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Young hoodlums? lol. I was working for my dad today where I had to pick up glass from a door that was shattered by drunken bastards (smashed beer bottles around door). It definantly wasnt kids w/ a bar near by..

kalbears13
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
2 Words: Luca Brasi