PDA

View Full Version : Lost Amazon tribe = HOAX

slightlyaraiderfan
06-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Even in an age when cynical sleuths can hyper-analyze stories for truth and accuracy, the occasional hoax still slips through the cracks. Such was the case with a so-called "lost Amazon tribe."

A few months ago, mainstream news outlets (including, ahem, Yahoo!) reported that a photographer had found a lost tribe of warriors near the Brazilian-Peruvian border. Photos of the tribe backed up his claim.

As it turns out, the story is only half true. The men in the photo armembers of a tribe, but it certainly ain't "lost." In fact, as the photographer, Josť Carlos Meirelles, recently explained, authorities have known about this particular tribe since 1910. The photographer and the agency that released the pictures wanted to make it seem like they were members of a lost tribe in order to call attention to the dangers the logging industry may have on the group.

The photographer recently came clean, and news outlets, perhaps embarrassed at having been taken for a ride, have been slow to pick up the story. Now, the word is starting to spread and articles in the Buzz are picking up steam. Expect a lot more brutal truth in the coming days.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91536

I feel so used.

Bruce Banner
06-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Damn, I was seriously happy when I first saw those images.

brat316
06-24-2008, 12:28 AM
didn't make much of a difference to me

jayceheathman
06-24-2008, 12:32 AM
You seriously believed that? haha

Bruce Banner
06-24-2008, 12:34 AM
You seriously believed that? haha

:mad:

yeah.....

StripedWalrus
06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
reminds me of that movie with Richard Dreyfuss and the chick from Dharma and Greg lol.

WMD
06-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Eh, it's not like they staged the photos. It doesn't matter that they've been known about since 1910.. It's still pretty cool stuff.

themaninblack
06-24-2008, 12:57 AM
They had pics, so i figured it happnd on the interwebz.

TheGreatEscape
06-24-2008, 01:10 AM
I haven't even heard about this so...

Brent
06-24-2008, 07:53 AM
perhaps embarrassed at having been taken for a ride, have been slow to pick up the story.
That can be said about every thing that happens with news outlets. They'll never admit to being wrong. The 24-Hour channels are the worst about that.

eaglesalltheway
06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
That can be said about every thing that happens with news outlets. They'll never admit to being wrong. The 24-Hour channels are the worst about that.

Correction, the Weather Channel is the worst at that

Brent
06-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Correction, the Weather Channel is the worst at that
predicting the weather is actually a very hard thing to do. most weather simulators can be accurate in projecting about 48 hours in to the future, and even then, there is no guarantee.

Addict
06-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I haven't even heard about this so...

what planet do you live on?

On topic: pity it's not real, but it shouldn't make a difference, the Amazon deserves better than be cut down, wether people live there or not.

TheGreatEscape
06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
what planet do you live on?

On topic: pity it's not real, but it shouldn't make a difference, the Amazon deserves better than be cut down, wether people live there or not.

Earth, I think. Just don't really care so even if I had heard something about it I wouldn't of paid attention. Because god forbid we screw a group of people out of their rain forest.

Crickett
06-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Didn't care then.
Don't care now.

Addict
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Earth, I think. Just don't really care so even if I had heard something about it I wouldn't of paid attention. Because god forbid we screw a group of people out of their rain forest.

Yeah you're absolutley right! We don't need no stinkin' rain forest right, it's not like they make oxygen or anything

litlharsh
06-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Didn't care then.
Don't care now.

Woah there hero

eaglesalltheway
06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
predicting the weather is actually a very hard thing to do. most weather simulators can be accurate in projecting about 48 hours in to the future, and even then, there is no guarantee.

I know, but the best part is when you hear a meteorologist say on TV, and I quote, "Tomorrow something MIGHT happen" and then you guy, "huh?" It really makes you wonder why they get paid so much
I actually did hear that on TV too, and that was all they said about the day in question, and you know what, they were 100% right, something DID happen...

TheGreatEscape
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah you're absolutley right! We don't need no stinkin' rain forest right, it's not like they make oxygen or anything

That's a completely different argument. If that's our rationale don't hide behind some freakin amazon tribe. Just be honest and straight forward and if your reasoning makes sense smart people will agree, stupid never agree with good ideas as a matter of principle so don't worry about tricking them.

Addict
06-24-2008, 12:26 PM
That's a completely different argument. If that's our rationale don't hide behind some freakin amazon tribe. Just be honest and straight forward and if your reasoning makes sense smart people will agree, stupid never agree with good ideas as a matter of principle so don't worry about tricking them.

the only legal argument to prevent that specific piece of rainforest from getting chopped down was if people in fact lived there, as in an unknown tribe.

It's not the rationale, but it's the only way to stop it, since Brazil obviously feels they're free to destroy the planet's lungs.

Plus, I though it was pretty awesome to find a truly new tribe of people in this day and age.

brat316
06-24-2008, 12:31 PM
the only legal argument to prevent that specific piece of rainforest from getting chopped down was if people in fact lived there, as in an unknown tribe.

It's not the rationale, but it's the only way to stop it, since Brazil obviously feels they're free to destroy the planet's lungs.

Plus, I though it was pretty awesome to find a truly new tribe of people in this day and age.

well Brazil can do as it pleases with its land/forest. Since they are trying to grow they need to make way and chop something down. Couldn't they say some unknow ur endangered animal or species lives there.

MetSox17
06-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Yay! I knew this couldn't go without being political!

Addict
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Yay! I knew this couldn't go without being political!

it's not political, it's environmental.

TheGreatEscape
06-24-2008, 02:48 PM
it's not political, it's environmental.

Which in today's day and age is entirely political. I'll talk to you about this on IRC when i get home if you care enough to argue it

Addict
06-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Which in today's day and age is entirely political. I'll talk to you about this on IRC when i get home if you care enough to argue it

Don't know if I'll still be on by then... we'll see. Either way, I don't really care. Plus environmental issues aren't entirely political, unless you want to drag global warming into the equation.

TheGreatEscape
06-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't know if I'll still be on by then... we'll see. Either way, I don't really care. Plus environmental issues aren't entirely political, unless you want to drag global warming into the equation.

Oh I disagree, the environmental movement got jacked by political extremists back in the 90s.