PDA

View Full Version : Internet Withdrawal (What to do?)

Shane P. Hallam
06-24-2008, 06:36 PM
So, I moved into my apartment at Grad School. After uncountless bad luck experiences (i.e. my bank is not here, I can't get a parking permit for a week (so I have to feed a meter 24/7,) my loveseat didn't fit up the stairs to my apartment, My fridge smells like old tuna fish, and so much more), the greatest spell hit me. My apartment comes with free internet and cable! Unfortunately, it does not get installed until July 4th. So, unless I am on campus or sitting at a Starbucks stealing the internet from the person who lives above it, I'm screwed with no internet OR cable.

Now, Bloomsburg (the only TOWN in PA, and they definitely let you know that loud and clear,) is something out of Back To The Future. Everything closes at 9:00 PM, even the Starbucks. The only chains here are Starbucks, Subway and Quiznos, everything else is Mom & Pop shops (even the hardware store that closes at 7, 6 on Sundays).

So, yeah, I'm pulling my hair out with nothing to do for a week. I'm done unpacking, and I'll soon exhaust my non-Live XBox opportunities. So my question is What to do? What can I do instead? Is there any way to siphon out internet some pre-paid way? I stole someone's random internet for 5 minutes today in my apartment, but past that, I am crying at night. Help an old friend out!

Turtlepower
06-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Buy a bunch of TV on DVDs!!!

Brent
06-24-2008, 06:47 PM
they call it "alcohol"

Turtlepower
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
If you are really, really desperate for internet and have a phone line, you can always just use dial-up.

StripedWalrus
06-24-2008, 06:50 PM
I would start by cleaning the fridge. Nothing worse than nasty tuna fish.

Splat
06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
If you are really, really desperate for internet and have a phone line, you can always just use dial-up.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shane P. Hallam
06-24-2008, 06:54 PM

I have no phone, only use my cell.

And the fridge smell was cause it was turned off for so long and the last guy was nasty. I've cleaned it twice and put in some baking soda.

I have my case of beer which will be cracked tonight, and I imagine I'll make it my 6th time through the whole West Wing series this week.

I know AT&T promoted those wireless internet attachments and crap. Is there any type of prepaid cell phone internet card thingy?

Gay Ork Wang
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Read a book

Addict
06-24-2008, 07:08 PM
you should consider freezing yourself and have a friend unfreeze you on july 4th

Brent
06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
I have my case of beer which will be cracked tonight
What kind? Also, go buy season 1 of 30 Rock. Definitely worth it since you cannot download it.

LonghornsLegend
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Well if it were me, I like to read, so I'd get a good novel, or stock up on fitness magazines and fantasy football magazines, those keep me occupied for hours at nite when my College aptmnt lost the internet for a week.

But I do have a laptop with wireless internet when I'm in certain zones, so that helps taking that with me and hoping I get a connection...Thats why I love having one instead of a computer even though you don't have the same type of space.

Shane P. Hallam
06-24-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm going to be doing so much reading for Grad. School, I think I'll hold off for now. But worst case, I have a good one in "The Last Lecture" handy.

Yuengling, the only beer worth drinking

And yeah, luckily the laptop has let me on now. It's just tough since I'm organizing three FF leagues, starting school, and more.

CJSchneider
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
awesome book, i just got through reading it. You will cry.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Stealing other people's WiFi is a time honored tradition. Beyond that, I heartily endorse alcohol and other substances, which tends to lead into some other sort of entertainment (or incarceration).

Also,
uncountless
is an awesome and impossible word and I salute you for inventing it.

yourfavestoner
06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Stealing other people's WiFi is a time honored tradition. Beyond that, I heartily endorse alcohol and other substances, which tends to lead into some other sort of entertainment (or incarceration).

Also,

is an awesome and impossible word and I salute you for inventing it.

I agree completely with PMD. Eat some mushrooms or something.

Shane P. Hallam
06-24-2008, 07:58 PM
uncountless is a favorite of mine.

And no, no illegal talk here!

Brothgar
06-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm like 99% sure that one of the SEPTA regional rails goes through Bloomsburgh U you could always hop the train to Philly.

BeerBaron
06-24-2008, 08:25 PM
booze it up homeslice. (not illegal either!!)

you apparently didn't get too much background info on Bloomsburg if you went there and cant find something to do haha.....

I have an uncle that worked for a lady who rented apartments there to the college kids and he fixed them up on weekends.

Well, every week it was like a tornado hit the place in some of these apartments. at this one place, he had to replace the front door on the place 3 weeks in a row. like...seriously....how the hell do you do that? lol. Everyone was always hung over and there were huge messes everywhere....big stone garbage cans with the cigarette sand in the tops were knocked over and these things were like several hundred pounds....

just go find the where the partying scene is going on and it'll be july 4th before your hangover even clears, lol.

seriously....thats like all there is to do in bloomsburg. until the fair happens....thats badass too.

farfromforgotten
06-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm going to be doing so much reading for Grad. School, I think I'll hold off for now. But worst case, I have a good one in "The Last Lecture" handy.

Yuengling, the only beer worth drinking

Yuengling is so good. I have some friends in Pittsburgh I go to see every now and then and I always make sure to bring home a couple of cases with me.

If I were in your situation I would be reading books. I love to read. Do you like to workout or play basketball? Does your town have a gym?

djp
06-24-2008, 09:40 PM
So, I moved into my apartment at Grad School. After uncountless bad luck experiences (i.e. my bank is not here, I can't get a parking permit for a week (so I have to feed a meter 24/7,) my loveseat didn't fit up the stairs to my apartment, My fridge smells like old tuna fish, and so much more), the greatest spell hit me. My apartment comes with free internet and cable! Unfortunately, it does not get installed until July 4th. So, unless I am on campus or sitting at a Starbucks stealing the internet from the person who lives above it, I'm screwed with no internet OR cable.

Now, Bloomsburg (the only TOWN in PA, and they definitely let you know that loud and clear,) is something out of Back To The Future. Everything closes at 9:00 PM, even the Starbucks. The only chains here are Starbucks, Subway and Quiznos, everything else is Mom & Pop shops (even the hardware store that closes at 7, 6 on Sundays).

So, yeah, I'm pulling my hair out with nothing to do for a week. I'm done unpacking, and I'll soon exhaust my non-Live XBox opportunities. So my question is What to do? What can I do instead? Is there any way to siphon out internet some pre-paid way? I stole someone's random internet for 5 minutes today in my apartment, but past that, I am crying at night. Help an old friend out!

1) Buy the game Baseball Mogul 2009 -- your life is over for 2 weeks
2) Buy the game Hearts of Iron 2 - your life is over for another 2 weeks
3) Rent a couple games for 360

jballa838
06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
you should consider freezing yourself and have a friend unfreeze you on july 4th
Addict this is you from the future. Don't freeze yourself.

S4L
06-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Loiter? Visit your old pal S4L?

Or you could "borrow" (stealing is illegal) Simpsons DVDs from various citizens. Hell, there are 400 episodes!

400 episodes x 20 minutes = A number so big I don't think I could even type it!

BeerBaron
06-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Loiter? Visit your old pal S4L?

Or you could "borrow" (stealing is illegal) Simpsons DVDs from various citizens. Hell, there are 400 episodes!

400 episodes x 20 minutes = A number so big I don't think I could even type it!

its uh....8000 i believe. i may be bad at math but that one was pretty easy, lol.

I have seasons 1-6. if he feels like a drive to State College, I could provide a few, lol. (Don't really take my simpsons DVD's Jbond or i'll cut you!! rawr!!)

Dr. Gonzo
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Go out and rent yourself a copy of Mass Effect. I also highly recomend you rent or buy some TV series.

Vikes99ej
06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I know how you feel, man. I go to my mom's house for a few weeks every summer, and she has neither internet or cable. I played A LOT of Guitar Hero last summer.

JF4
06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Go out and make some non-internet friends?

kwilk103
06-25-2008, 12:36 AM
go to a strip club

kalbears13
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
I read what people were saying and it made me think of a blackout. When there is a blackout I think of what Amish people do. Then I just go to sleep because it's dark and i'm tired of thinking of things to do.

MetSox17
06-25-2008, 12:46 AM
I read what people were saying and it made me think of a blackout. When there is a blackout I think of what Amish people do. Then I just go to sleep because it's dark and i'm tired of thinking of things to do.

I hate blackouts. I can't even sleep. I hear every little noise and creek that it makes it disturbing. Then i just lay in bed, staring at my ceiling, thinking of the most random things. Not fun.

Turtlepower
06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
I hate blackouts that only effect cable. I would prefer the full-on blackout where you play monopoly with candles and those round lights that you push-in to turn on.

yodabear
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Piss on the state of Wisconsin.

Turtlepower
06-25-2008, 02:13 AM

In Wisconsin, you eat cheddar and piss swiss!

BeerBaron
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
blackouts do suck.....

a few years ago, we went like a full weekend without any power so my parents bought a generator and guess, what I don't think we had blackout at home since then, lol.

And I haven't had one at school yet either....Lost my internet and cable before which sucked but i just watched simpsons dvd's and um......drank, lol

princefielder28
06-25-2008, 09:06 AM

that hurts :)

JBond just drink away the pain

Xiomera
06-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Bond, you could always bang out a few more of those lovely Fantasy Football articles you were writing before . . .

You know . . . if there was ever a time for chaos to strike and people to run amok on NFLDC . . . this would be it. I'm not condoning it . . . just merely an observation . . . I hope everyone can be mature about this. It would be really sad to see a few disgruntled forum members take advantage of this golden . . . err, I mean, rare opportunity to have some fun. That would be a real shame.

Duster
06-25-2008, 09:31 AM

What the hell?

Try going to a bar or hanging out with people you actually know.

Brent
06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Go out and rent yourself a copy of Mass Effect
that game has like 10 hours of game play at best.

BeerBaron
06-25-2008, 10:17 AM
if you want a video game to kill many hours, i reccommend my all time personal favorite:

The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

Hundred and hundred of hours in that game on so many save files doing so much....amazing. and i can still pop it in to play and find things i hadn't seen before......i love it.

its got great graphics for a 6 year old game and almost any computer can play it. could probably find it just for a couple of bucks used somewhere...

http://i.imgur.com/K3GGw.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/VQdxR.jpg

Brent
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
if you want a video game to kill many hours, i reccommend my all time personal favorite:

The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

Hundred and hundred of hours in that game on so many save files doing so much....amazing. and i can still pop it in to play and find things i hadn't seen before......i love it.

its got great graphics for a 6 year old game and almost any computer can play it. could probably find it just for a couple of bucks used somewhere...
I thought Oblivion was better but that was just me.

Staubach12
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Read a book

BING BING BING BING BING!!!!!!

We have a winner!

yodabear
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
that hurts :)

JBond just drink away the pain

I know, I didn't mean most things I posted last night, I was on my period.

farfromforgotten
06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I thought Oblivion was better but that was just me.

The original Neverwinter Nights beats both of those games in my opinion. Graphics arent as nice and gameplay is different, but you can actually build your own adventure and add your own custom content to the game if you know how to do that sort of thing. They have a website where you can download probably 1000's of games that people have created themselves. Some great, some not so good. That game came out in 1998 and I still havent ran out of modules to play. There is also a website where people have created what must be hundreds of custom character classes that can be downloaded as well, each with their own unique abilities. You can also play online for free with other users. What other games are available that let you do that sort of thing?

Yeah, I'm a huge sports fan that also happens to be a huge geek. A rare breed. Anyways, I'm not sure if Bond is even interested in these types of games.

Shane P. Hallam
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
What the hell?

Try going to a bar or hanging out with people you actually know.

I know 0 people here, so that would be a bit tough.

Same for the partying. I know no one yet and such.

Crickett
06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Go out and make some non-internet friends?

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!