PDA

View Full Version : Question for UK posters

steelernation77
06-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I've planned on studying in London for a few years now but the University of Iowa lacks a study abroad program in the city and the cost of living is scaring me a bit.

So I'm starting to consider studying in Edinburgh, and I was wondering if anyone from across the pond could tell me if they would recommend it.

Stufazz
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
I know someone who is at Edinburgh university, and she has nothing but good things to say about it. The social scene is great with alot of bars and clubs (plus 18 years+ can legally drink!). It is a highly rated university.

I would look into prices for accommodation for houses and halls. first year they like to put you in halls so you settle down and make friends with other freshers. but afterwards students move into houses (im not sure if thats the same in the states, so checking out rent for student houses in the area is also recommended). i reckon they are also pretty high, though thats just an immediate assumption.

But i have heard only good things. so if you've fully considered moving to the UK to do your studies then Edinburgh is an excellent place to choose

if you have any more questions let me kno

Rob S
06-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Dont know about Edinburgh but I did study abroad last year and London was maybe the favorite city I went to so make sure u at least visit. You are right tho, it is expensive as hell. I couldnt have done a full semester there, just a 6 day trip killed my wallet.

Stufazz
06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
London is crazy for house prices and you will be paying alot, saying that in the UK anything south of the UK is. thats why im not sure about Edinburgh as in the north.

Edinburgh prob looking at maybe 60-80 (sterling) a week in a house. and the upper part of that range in halls but usually with halls it includes bills. the student loan (95% of students will usually have one at uni so dont be alarmed) should cover that.

i would email the uni's and ask for information about rent, students applying from overseas, dates to apply by and student loan etc

steelernation77
06-26-2008, 12:19 AM
London is crazy for house prices and you will be paying alot, saying that in the UK anything south of the UK is. thats why im not sure about Edinburgh as in the north.

Edinburgh prob looking at maybe 60-80 (sterling) a week in a house. and the upper part of that range in halls but usually with halls it includes bills. the student loan (95% of students will usually have one at uni so dont be alarmed) should cover that.

i would email the uni's and ask for information about rent, students applying from overseas, dates to apply by and student loan etc

Yeah Edinburgh is looking pretty expensive as well, the damn dollar is killing me.

I'm considering Strathclyde University in Glasgow because the university of Iowa has an exchange program in which my tuition and housing would be pretty similar to a regular semester at Iowa. Does anyone have any experiences with Glasgow?

edit: btw I'm planning on doing just a semester in the UK, most likely in the spring of my junior year.

Bosanac01
06-27-2008, 12:57 AM
the damn dollar is killing me.

same here, used to be sooo much better.

YAYareaRB
06-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey England people..

CarlosZZZZZ SpencerZZZZZ>>>>Johnny Wilko