PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards.. Heisman Material?

YAYareaRB
06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Armanti Edwards led the Appalachian State Mountaineers to three straight FCS championships not too mention the biggest upset in College Football History defeating then #5 Michigan. He's put up some crazy numbers in his career but isn't the prototypical scrambling QB some make him out to be.. in other words, he can sling the ball around. I was reading the SportsNews College Football Preview and one article caught my eye. The question was if Armanti Edwards is Heisman Material.

For the record, the last D1-AA player to be considered was Steve McNair of Alcorn State. He finished 5th I believe.

So the question is does Armanti Edwards deserve to be considered for the Heisman or are there just too many obstacles in his way?

Don Vito
06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Edwards is a great 1AA player, he is a super athlete with a good arm. We all know he may not project to be an NFL QB, but I think he at least has a shot to be considered. They have a pretty easy schedule after they play LSU week 1 and Edwards will have more talent around him then most 1-AA's do. I think he could have a shot, but with there are so many big names who are playing at a higher level such as Tebow, Beanie Wells, Chase Daniel, Maclin, Crabtree, Harvin, and many others.

He has a chance but will need to have one hell of a season and one hell of a game against LSU just to be considered. Edwards showed he is a gamer last season, so you never know.

GB12
06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
No chance what so ever. He can put up great stats, lead his team to the 1AA championship and still be no where close to winning the Heisman.

YAYareaRB
06-25-2008, 08:50 PM
No chance what so ever. He can put up great stats, lead his team to the 1AA championship and still be no where close to winning the Heisman.

What if he had a JORDYYYYYZZZZZ NELSONZZZZZ(GOD) type season? Looking back Armanti is putting Air McNair type numbers.

Sniper
06-25-2008, 09:07 PM
No chance. He loses Kevin Richardson, Dexter Jackson and Kerry Brown. Not happening.

Hwoarang
06-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I voted no. But I think he has the potential to win it. It's just impossible for him to.

BamaFalcon59
06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
One of the most exciting players in college football. But I doubt he gets consideration for the Heisman.

Cigaro
06-25-2008, 10:16 PM
He was on campus for only the last two of their three peat, let alone lead them to all three.

However, yes, if Appalachian State wins a fourth straight national championship, yes he will most likely be voted for. He has the potential to, just a matter of what the returning talent can do.

GB12
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
He was on campus for only the last two of their three peat, let alone lead them to all three.

However, yes, if Appalachian State wins a fourth straight national championship, yes he will most likely be voted for. He has the potential to, just a matter of what the returning talent can do.
It has nothing to do with the returning talent and everything to do with playing for a 1AA school. No 1AA player will ever win the Heisman no matter how good of a season they have. Right or wrong that's just the way it is.

Cigaro
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
It has nothing to do with the returning talent and everything to do with playing for a 1AA school. No 1AA player will ever win the Heisman no matter how good of a season they have. Right or wrong that's just the way it is.

Oh I know a D-IAA will never win, which is why I never stated it. That comment was stated as just being voted for, which he may get votes if the returning talent leads them to a fourth straight national championship. Remember, people other than Tim Tebow got voted for last year.

Brent
06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
they have the Walter Payton Award, so they will most likely never be considered for the Heisman. 4,863 yards with 44 touchdowns and rushing for 936 yards or not, I dont know why McNair was considered, it was 1-AA.

Cigaro
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
they have the Walter Payton Award, so they will most likely never be considered for the Heisman. 4,863 yards with 44 touchdowns and rushing for 936 yards or not, I dont know why McNair was considered, it was 1-AA.

Its for the best player in America, regardless of division. Technically, a DIII player could win the Heisman.

holt_bruce81
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Not a chance, he plays for a 1AA team. He won't get enough Publicity to even be considered.

BamaFalcon59
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
If he had played all his games last year (he missed four of them) he would have had (using averages):

14 Games

14-0 record
Division 1-AA Championship
24 pass TD
29 rush TD
2,727 passing yards
2,223 rushing yards

Pretty impressive.

DragonFireKai
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
If he had played all his games last year (he missed four of them) he would have had (using averages):

14 Games

14-0 record
Division 1-AA Championship
24 pass TD
29 rush TD
2,727 passing yards
2,223 rushing yards

Pretty impressive.

Ummmm...

Not sure if you knew this...

ASU was undefeated in the games he missed. There's no chance that his playing in those games would have given ASU a 14-0 record.

BamaFalcon59
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Ummmm...

Not sure if you knew this...

ASU was undefeated in the games he missed. There's no chance that his playing in those games would have given ASU a 14-0 record.

Oops. 12-2 I mean.

Still good.

YAYareaRB
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
Not a chance, he plays for a 1AA team. He won't get enough Publicity to even be considered.

Well pulling off one of the biggest upsets in College Football History sure caught my eye.

LonghornsLegend
06-29-2008, 12:55 AM
He would have to put up an amazing performance against LSU and lead them to victory, and proceed to win the rest of their games while putting up incredible stats, even then that would only be good enough to be just considered...Besides that, it would have to be a year where nobody in D-1 established themselves as a frontrunner and the race was wide open.

Hard to imagine that happening with Tebow, Harvin, Wells, Moreno, Edwards would have to play twice as good as those guys and even then it probably wouldn't be good enough...But he does have some hype surrounding ASU and his name, just certainly not enough to win.

Ness
06-29-2008, 05:45 AM
Haven't seen that much of him, but I like watching him play when I do get the chance. If he plans to ever try and go to the pros, hopefully he can bulk up a little more, because he's only around 175 pounds, and he's 6'0'' if I'm not mistaken.

holt_bruce81
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Well pulling off one of the biggest upsets in College Football History sure caught my eye.

Yea but he won't get any votes over guys like Tebow, Moreno, Daniel, Crabtree, etc....

Bruce Banner
06-29-2008, 07:26 PM
The better question is will he get drafted? as a QB?

DragonFireKai
06-29-2008, 08:20 PM

as a Late second day flyer perhaps. Unless he's a much better athlete than what I've seen of him, his only real option is at QB. He's not quite fast enough to transfer to WR, and not strong enough to try HB.

BamaFalcon59
06-29-2008, 10:33 PM
as a Late second day flyer perhaps. Unless he's a much better athlete than what I've seen of him, his only real option is at QB. He's not quite fast enough to transfer to WR, and not strong enough to try HB.

He looks fast to me. Certainly as fast as a Josh Cribbs.

Ness
06-29-2008, 11:20 PM

I see not being drafted. But you never know. I just hope he adds more bulk.

Cigaro
06-29-2008, 11:29 PM

He'll easily get drafted. Teams love drafting prospects in the later rounds, and that's what he is. He's got the athleticism to move over to receiver, so some team is gonna give him a chance.

DragonFireKai
06-30-2008, 04:10 AM
He looks fast to me. Certainly as fast as a Josh Cribbs.

If I had to eyeball a time for him, I'd guess in the low 4.6s or high 4.5s. Cribbs ran in the 4.5s, but the difference is that Cribbs is 40 lbs heavier.

However, Cribbs went undrafted, and hasn't exactly set the world ablaze as a reciever.

OSUGiants17
07-03-2008, 12:32 PM
The kid is good, but I don't think I have seen enough of him to tell if he is hiesman worthy.

Sniper
07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
The kid is good, but I don't think I have seen enough of him to tell if he is hiesman worthy.

Plus, like I've said before, he loses his #1 OL, #1 WR, and #1 RB, who is ASU's all time leading rusher.

OSUGiants17
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM
All I have to say is he will not be a QB in the NFL, probly a WR.

mqtirishfan
07-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Not a chance.

illmatic74
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
He has the same chance that Tim Tebow has winning the Walter Payton Award

Paranoidmoonduck
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Well he only threw for just under 3000 yards and 27 touchdowns less last year than McNair threw for in his senior year. He would have to almost triple his production in the air to even have a shot.

wogitalia
07-21-2008, 05:24 AM
They would have to beat LSU for him to get a chance.

If he lead his team to a win in an upset like that again, he would be an instant contender but he just wont get the publicity unless they beat LSU and then LSU don't lose again all year, in that scenario, he would have some serious credibility as a candidate.