PDA

View Full Version : Would this be considered Plagiarism

bored of education
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
So I was reading the Boston Globe and a I came across this article

Gary Forbes flies out of San Antonio. Or maybe it's Houston.

Single-serving pretzels.

Single-serving soda.

It's all a part of the chase.

"You spend more time in airports and hotels than you do on the court," he said.

He lands in Miami. Or maybe it's Milwaukee.

Single-serving shampoo.

Single-serving friends. Most of them, anyway.

He sees them at every stop. They hate his defense, but his offense makes up for it. They tell him they see a spot for him in tomorrow's NBA draft, if not at the bottom of the first round then somewhere in the second.

One city to another, he hears the same things.

"It's just a grind," he said. "We go to different cities. Same questions. Same type of workouts."

It wears on him.

His brother Anthony gets all the calls. A player himself in his high school days in Brooklyn, Anthony watches the camps when they come on TV and reads the analysis when it shows up on the web. He knows all the things flashing through Gary's mind; Anthony tries to relate, but also to relax.

"Just keep on grinding," he'll say. "Only a couple days left."

Ever since he hoisted the University of Massachusetts on his back in the National Invitation Tournament, helping the Minutemen upset last year's NCAA champion, Florida, on the way to the final, Forbes has been connecting the dots from city to city - 11 altogether - boosting his stock at each checkpoint and trying to sell NBA teams on his ability to score and his potential for playing four positions.

"It's a crazy experience, and I still kind of can't actually believe I'm in the position and could be drafted," he said. "It's a dream come true and I'm happy that I'm in this predicament. From where I came from to where I'm at now, it's just a blessing. So I just hope that on Thursday I hear some good news."

The turning point
Just three years ago, Forbes wasn't even playing basketball. He was sitting out a season after finding out he had developed diabetes, having abandoned a spiraling stint at the University of Virginia and restarted at UMass.

The fact that his dream is now at his fingertips makes the rigors of the chase easier to put up with. The travel. The hotel. The interviews. The microscope.

What kind of person are you?

What do you do in your free time?

Are you the type to keep an entourage?

And when he thinks of his answers and the impact they can have on his future, two words come to mind: politically correct.

He understands that it's an inspection process.

"They do their homework," he said. "They ask you about your personal life and your family. They're investing millions of dollars and they want to make sure they're making the right decision

Caddy
06-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking.

bored of education
06-26-2008, 08:53 PM
let me bold the area im talkin about

iowatreat54
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't get it, is that bolded part from somewhere or something? It doesn't look familiar...

bored of education
06-26-2008, 08:59 PM
It's from fight club!

iowatreat54
06-26-2008, 09:01 PM
It's from fight club!

ahhhh I guess I didn't make the connection between hearing the lines and reading...

adschofield
06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, please sue them

StripedWalrus
06-26-2008, 09:30 PM
yep thats def from fight club. I was reading it and I was like...dang this sounds familiar.

Boston
06-26-2008, 10:35 PM
But...who is he plagiarising?

bored of education
06-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Chuck P. I dont remember if it was in the book as well. I'll have to look ikn the Fight Club book.

Brent
06-26-2008, 10:46 PM
it isnt plagiarism because he isnt using it word for word. you could easily classify this as an allusion. you, as the reader, know what he is referring to.

themaninblack
06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
he plagiarizes parts of it word for word. If he/she doesn't give credit for it somewhere it should be brought to his/her attention IMO.

Brent
06-27-2008, 07:35 AM
he plagiarizes parts of it word for word.
Is it word for word? I have no idea because I havent see that movie or read that book in years.

A Perfect Score
06-27-2008, 11:27 AM
SUE THE BASTARD! THIS IS A ******** OUTRAGE! NOBODY PLAGARISES CHUCK P! NOBODY!

honestly, plagarizing someone else's work is the dirtiest thing a writer can do. This guy deserves to be ******* castrated in front of an audience, just to prove how worthless he is to the world. If you cant come up with your own ideas, then your ideas dont deserve to be published. You dont pirate someone else's work, especially a work like fight club which is just ******** revolutionary. Seriously, as an aspiring writer, guys like this make me ******* sick. I hope Chuck P, a literary genius and revolutionist sues his *** for all he is worth and leaves him sleeping in a ******* ditch with nothing but his piece of **** newspaper article. Worthless

A Perfect Score
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Is it word for word? I have no idea because I havent see that movie or read that book in years.

it isnt word for word, but it might as well be...its clear as day that its Chuck P's thoughts and alot of phrases are right out of the book. And wat?!?!?!?!!? read and watch ASAP!

CJSchneider
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
You are not your job. You are not how much you have in the bank. You are not the contents of your wallet. You are not your khakis. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. What happens first is you can't sleep. What happens then is there's a gun in your mouth. And what happens next is you meet BOE. Let me tell you about BOE. He had a plan. In BOE we trusted. BOE says the things you own, end up owning you. It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything. NFLDC represents that kind of freedom. First rule of NFLDC: You do not talk about other draft websites. Second rule of NFLDC: You do not talk about other draft websites. BOE says self-improvement is masturbation. BOE says self-destruction might be the answer.

The first rule of NFLDC is - you do not talk about other draft websites.
The second rule of NFLDC is - you do not talk about other draft websites.
Third rule of NFLDC, someone yells "****!", talks politics, talks religion, the thread is over.
Fourth rule, only two quotes to a post.
Fifth rule, one sig at a time, fellas.
Sixth rule, no trolling, no post whoring, no knocking Mel Keiper Jr..
Seventh rule, threads will go on as long as they have to.
And the eighth and final rule, if this is your first night at
NFLDC, you have to post.

awfullyquiet
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
BOE. go back to the chief's forum.

farfromforgotten
06-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Great post CJ.

I have to spread some love around before I can add to your rep again or I would have already done it.

Jay
06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
No, because the writer is intentionally using the similar pattern for the purpose of making the story interesting and not to rip it off. He wants this reaction. If this was for a fictional book, then yeah, there might be some beef, but the writer is just taking a scene out of pop culture to make the story dramatic.

awfullyquiet
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
No, because the writer is intentionally using the similar pattern for the purpose of making the story interesting and not to rip it off. He wants this reaction. If this was for a fictional book, then yeah, there might be some beef, but the writer is just taking a scene out of pop culture to make the story dramatic.

It doesn't matter if it was for a fictional book or not, if you copy word for word even in a journalistic piece, it's plagiarism.
But. This wasn't a case of plagiarism, the tone and scene are the same, just the place and context is different, this is akin to screenwriters putting quotes and otehr mementos from other movies into their own.

also a ****** piece of journalism. the boston globe is truly worse than the new york post. rag that ****.

farfromforgotten
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh, I also agree with those who say this is not Plagiarism.