PDA

View Full Version : Scotty needs your help!!

scottyboy
06-28-2008, 03:15 PM
ok boys, I need your help. Now I remember JBond had a similar thread(summer jobs) so this best not get locked plz!

I turned down a good paying part time job, because it blew last year and it's physical labor, maintenence etc, not fun at all, AND because I'm looking to become a referee. I'm looking to see if there are any schools or classes/courses I need to take, ya know, training. I know an ex-referee, and I'll ask a current one at the next summer league game, but if anyone could help me out before then, it'd be greatly appreciated! thanks!

kwilk103
06-28-2008, 03:18 PM
prob have to take a test

neko4
06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
try and ref for some little league kids. that can get you started atleast.

ALSO, i dont think they will allow you to ref Big East games

CJSchneider
06-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I can speak only for HS and middle school, but all one needs to do is take a state's ref's test (sport dependent) If you pass, you can register with the county or parrish as a ref. As far as classes go, if you want to, you can look up some activity classes in your local college's catalog. I know that when I was getting my degree as a PE major, I was required to take those classes and they do help somewhat (that's speaking from a coaches perspective).
What sport by the way, I could give you some resources I use possibly.

Rob S
06-28-2008, 04:15 PM
i ref the intramural leagues at my college and didnt need anything besides the training they gave. It's a sweet job, and it pays damn good too.

scottyboy
06-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm just trying to start being a ref for basketball, mainly like younger kids(ie middle school) and such.

neko, not looking on how to move up, but how to get started

Hwoarang
06-28-2008, 04:59 PM
not fun at all
The sooner you realize all work is not fun the sooner you appreciate the money it pays you.

Turtlepower
06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, if you were in college then I would suggest an on-campus job. If you were on the West Coast, I would suggest In & Out because it pays $9-$10 an hour. In New Jersey, I say you should work for a construction company.

ATLDirtyBirds
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
You have to go to a couple of classes and stuff, and take a test on the rules and then you could could get an oppotunity. Or atleast that's why I had to do for being an ump.

Brent
06-29-2008, 09:48 AM
being a ref for pony league baseball was the best job I ever had. I got the equivalent of 10 bucks an hour. it was awesome. aside from the shithead parents.

scottyboy
06-29-2008, 09:52 AM
being a ref for pony league baseball was the best job I ever had. I got the equivalent of 10 bucks an hour. it was awesome. aside from the shithead parents.

i know, it sounds great, I just need to get started and dont know how

princefielder28
06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
For little league basbeall you should be able to talk to the park coordinator and he can tell you what local opportunities there are, but as far as being a ref for basketball you should talk to your local school district to see if they will be hosting an tournaments, and if they are, they would probably allow an inexperienced indivudal to ref younger kids. Otherwise check your local paper to see what other local baseball and basketball tournaments may be going on and see if you could hook on for a weekend here or there.