PDA

View Full Version : Official Olympics Thread

SeanTaylorRIP
06-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Olympics is a little bit ahead but decided to make the thread now since many trials have begun. This is for sports talk only, could care less about and the political junk surrounding the olympics. Anyways should be exciting, with Michael Phelps going for 8 golds or whatever, also can't wait to see team us basketball go for gold. The track and field tryouts were exciting today. Tyson Ga y nearly got eliminated for round because he eased down with 40 meters to go but got passed and barely finished in 4th with the last qualifying spot in his heat. That would have been killer if he was eliminated from the olympics because he took it easy. But being the guy he is, next round which was only the quarters, he ran a 9.77 the fastest U.S. time in history but still .05 behind Usain Bolt's world record. Ga y is one of the most exciting olympians being #1 in the world in both the 100 and 200. Hopefully Xavier Carter qualifies for the 100 but I don't expect it, but I hope he can get bronze in the 200 in the olympics, with hopefully Tyson and Wallace Spearmon going 1-2. Can't wait for the track and field portion of the olympics, USA always gets like half of it's medals from track and field. Want to see Wariner in the 400, and see how Alan Webb fares despite struggling as of late. Also this could be the first time in I don't know when the US could win a long distance gold with Bernard Legat becoming a US citizen and now running for us and not the Kenyans.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Holy Cow, Tyson Ga y just ran a 9.68 hundred in the finals of the olympic qualifiers. Such a shame it was slightly above the allowed win aid to be a world record, but it is still the fastest registered time by a human being and there have been much stronger wind aides in the past. Damn with him Usain Bolt, and Asafa Powell in the Olympics one of them will run under 9.7 and all will probably run under 9.8, just fyi Trindon Holliday was last place in one of the semifinal heats, and Xavier Carter was last place in the finals heat.

BigJohn98
06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Walter Dix qualified! Man is a badass.

Bruce Banner
06-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Michael Phelps set the individual world record in the mens 400 meter.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Michael Phelps set the individual world record in the mens 400 meter.

Crazy thing is 2nd place finisher also broke the world record by .14 seconds. Phelps broke it by nearly a second. That's crazy in an olympics qualifier two guys break the world record. Phelps should be good for at least 5 golds.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Walter Dix qualified! Man is a badass.

Walter Dix is a monster especially considering his age, but right now couldn't hold Tysons Jock.

bored of education
06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
you know whats better than getting a silver medal at the special olympics?

not being ********!

Wootylicous
06-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Jeremy Wariner is a beast.

adschofield
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I love the Summer Olympics...Gotta love the Americans dominating basically everything

fischbowl
06-29-2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.smart.net/~tak/Disputations/teamfenson.gif

Bronze Winners! I'll be there in '14! See you ***** in Russia!

BamaFalcon59
06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
A girl Hokie made it. Makes me happy.

Brent
06-29-2008, 11:12 PM
cannot wait for USA Basketball

ThePudge
06-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I love the Summer Olympics...Gotta love the Americans dominating basically everything

Except for basketball lately... There's always hope there though. Argentina, Spain, and Serbia look to be the top competition. Have to be wary of Greece too, 6th Ranked team in the world, beat the US team in the quarterfinals at the last FIBA World Championships..

Bosanac01
06-29-2008, 11:32 PM
I love the olympics, summer and winter olympics, good times this world has.

Caddy
06-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I love the Olympics too. Australia usually has a good team. Swimming is usually great fun, but with Thorpie quitting the mens team is rubbish. The women should dominate like usual, but other than Grant Hackett and Eamon Sullivan we will be lucky to get a medal. Other than swimming we'll probably win some quality medals in a ton of random crap like Archery and Equestrian. Hopefully the soccer team can handle themselves on the world stage too. We have a strong group of Under 23's and if the likes of Mark Schwarzer come and play we could push for a semi final spot.

Bosanac01
06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
I love the Olympics too. Australia usually has a good team. Swimming is usually great fun, but with Thorpie quitting the mens team is rubbish. The women should dominate like usual, but other than Grant Hackett and Eamon Sullivan we will be lucky to get a medal. Other than swimming we'll probably win some quality medals in a ton of random crap like Archery and Equestrian. Hopefully the soccer team can handle themselves on the world stage too. We have a strong group of Under 23's and if the likes of Mark Schwarzer come and play we could push for a semi final spot.

lol hopefully my country will have more contestants then last time (< 10)

Gay Ork Wang
06-30-2008, 05:16 AM
I hope China can win some more gold medals than america this time :)

SeanTaylorRIP
06-30-2008, 08:37 AM
A girl Hokie made it. Makes me happy.

That was rediculous she was a good 7 meters behind with 100 meters to go, then the girl in lane 7 fell into her lane so she hurdled the girl that fell in her lane and made up about 10 meters in the last 70 to finish 3rd. Crazy concentration and burst.

adschofield
06-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Not possible

TimD
06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
my friend is out there for the olympics this summer (he goes to beijing every summer). my boss and his wife are also going because shes like head of advertising for johnson & johnson. i'm interested to hear what they have to say about the entire experience.

they've got badminton and ping pong

GermanSaint
06-30-2008, 12:01 PM
iam looking forward to it .

germany mostly has a couple of medals in swimming and fencing , canou and cycling.

we never bring a soccer team to it, but basketball has some surprising moments.

do they have team handball ?

corleone
07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm looking for a t shirt that printed for Beijing 2008. Is it possible to find that kind of cloth? Does Nike sponsored the Olympic Game?

Gay Ork Wang
07-01-2008, 12:31 PM
my friend is out there for the olympics this summer (he goes to beijing every summer). my boss and his wife are also going because shes like head of advertising for johnson & johnson. i'm interested to hear what they have to say about the entire experience.

they've got badminton and ping pong
And they have got about 3/4 of the disciplines that require more technique then athleticism

bernbabybern820
07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Holy Cow, Tyson Ga y just ran a 9.68 hundred in the finals of the olympic qualifiers. Such a shame it was slightly above the allowed win aid to be a world record, but it is still the fastest registered time by a human being and there have been much stronger wind aides in the past. Damn with him Usain Bolt, and Asafa Powell in the Olympics one of them will run under 9.7 and all will probably run under 9.8, just fyi Trindon Holliday was last place in one of the semifinal heats, and Xavier Carter was last place in the finals heat.

Keep in mind Dix ran a 9.80. Tyson would have ran around a 9.78 with wind i think i read somewhere. I will try to find it.

It will be an amazing 100m final.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Keep in mind Dix ran a 9.80. Tyson would have ran around a 9.78 with wind i think i read somewhere. I will try to find it.

It will be an amazing 100m final.

Walter Dix is the future of USA track and field, he is going to be so good in 3-4 years. He is running sub 10 100 times and there are so many rooms for refinement that I see in his running, especially in his start, but right now he can't touch Tyson especially in the 200. Tyson has some of the quickest and best turnover on his strides going down the stretch in the history of the sport.

bernbabybern820
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Walter Dix is the future of USA track and field, he is going to be so good in 3-4 years. He is running sub 10 100 times and there are so many rooms for refinement that I see in his running, especially in his start, but right now he can't touch Tyson especially in the 200. Tyson has some of the quickest and best turnover on his strides going down the stretch in the history of the sport.

Who do you think is going to win the 100m? Bolt also seems like the favorite in the 200 as well.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Insanely wrong, Dix is faaar from the future. As long as Jeremy Warner is still running he will be the face of US T&F. The 100 is over-loaded with great guys. Jeff Demps is more likely to be the future then Dix.

Who do you think is going to win the 100m? Bolt also seems like the favorite in the 200 as well.

I have a feeling Bolt will demolish the field in the 200.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
At the biggest stage I'd take Tyson in both events. Bolt can be inconsistent with his level of gravity. Also Wariner has been beatable as of late, idiot for firing his coach.

Sniper
07-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps isn't human.

Philliez01
07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
The one thing that the Americans struggle in is obviously distance due to the success of El-Guerrouj and Kenya. With El-Guerroj now retired and Lagat an American citizen, a shot at some distance gold is POSSIBLE. While Lagat continues to best Australian Craig Mottram, the 5000 could be a VERY interesting race. Lagat has the killer surge while Mottram is more of a take-charge runner. Plus, there is those Kenyans to watch out for!

America distance running is making marked improvements, I think. Alan Webb went 3:53 as a HS in the Mile and even broke the US Mile record. However, he hasn't done to well in the big meets but I like his strategy of doing less races in buildup to Trials / Olympics. Matt Tegenkamp probably won't get any love but he continues to morph into a solid 2 miler / 5000 meter runner. Symmonds won the best 800m run I've ever seen!

When you add in young guns Galen Rupp (won the "slower" heat of the 5000 prelims), freshman at Oregon Matt Centrowitz and HS phenom German Fernandez (HS record in the 2 mile at 8:32) there is a future.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Insanely wrong, Dix is faaar from the future. As long as Jeremy Warner is still running he will be the face of US T&F. The 100 is over-loaded with great guys. Jeff Demps is more likely to be the future then Dix.

I have a feeling Bolt will demolish the field in the 200.

As LaShawn Merritt beats Wariner in the 400 finals.

MetSox17
07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps isn't human.

Broke another world record today..

Bosanac01
07-04-2008, 10:15 PM
no he's not.

Sniper
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Broke another world record today..

I just saw that. What a ******* mantank. I heard he didn't even lift before the last Olympics because he wasn't coordinated enough. I think he's started lifting now. Good luck rest of the world.

Bruce Banner
07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
His lifting would have to be extremely low impact. They want ectomorphic body types that won't have much mass or drag. However, his height and lean body could support some more mass without a major increase in drag.

It would still have to be low impact.

EDIT: After some research it would appear that Michael already has a mesomorphic body type. So I think light lifting probably took place.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-05-2008, 10:14 AM
As LaShawn Merritt beats Wariner in the 400 finals.

Ah, and are you someone that counts pre-season wins too in football? Its the trials bud, dont blow your load over it.

Jay
07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
cannot wait for USA Basketball

That's what I'm talking about. I can't wait to see Kobe, Lebron and Chris Paul just rip everyone apart. I am so excited to be able to root for Kobe and Lebron and not have them be "rivals" of my team for once. Hopefully Dwight Howard is OK because he's going to be a beast to watch too.

I remember being 11 years old during the original dream team, and riding my bike to the McDonalds on the base I was living at in Millington, Tennessee every day to try and get a different collectors cup for all the players. I had the entire team. I actually thought my Mom still had them until recently. I think I saw the John Stockton cup down in her basement...

Oh and Chris Kaman has been granted was granted German citizenship and will be playing for Germany...

SuperKevin
07-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I read earlier this week that some former US Olympic swimmer is accusing the entire US swim team of doping. He's comparing the recent world record shattering trials to the East German olympic team in the 80s. He said there is no way that the new Speedo swimsuit is responsible for the insane times like these swimmers are saying.

Phelps is a beast though. My mom's co-worker's son used to beat him on a regular basis when they were like 13-14 before he quit swimming to play lacrosse.

SuperKevin
07-05-2008, 11:00 AM
That's what I'm talking about. I can't wait to see Kobe, Lebron and Chris Paul just rip everyone apart. I am so excited to be able to root for Kobe and Lebron and not have them be "rivals" of my team for once. Hopefully Dwight Howard is OK because he's going to be a beast to watch too.

I remember being 11 years old during the original dream team, and riding my bike to the McDonalds on the base I was living at in Millington, Tennessee every day to try and get a different collectors cup for all the players. I had the entire team. I actually thought my Mom still had them until recently. I think I saw the John Stockton cup down in her basement...

Oh and Chris Kaman has been granted was granted German citizenship and will be playing for Germany...

The US's lack of post play and consistent 3 point shooting will doom them. Not to mention Kobe and Lebron won't get EVERY call like they do in the NBA. I hate to say it but I smell a Bronze medal for Team USA.

SuperKevin
07-05-2008, 11:05 AM
The US National Softball team is the most dominant team in the history of the Olympics and that includes the Dream Team. They are going for their 4th straight Olympic Gold Medal. Until this past March they had won 185 straight games

jballa838
07-05-2008, 11:42 AM
if tyson g ay gets a good start, he is unbeatable.

Philliez01
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM

I don't know about that. Wariner is going to be a big name for a while but Demps? Demps is a football player first, according to an interview on DyeStat, he would rather play football it seems than run the 100.

jballa838
07-05-2008, 03:32 PM
uh oh.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3474611
Hope he recovers quickly.

Bruce Banner
07-05-2008, 03:38 PM
uh oh.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3474611
Hope he recovers quickly.

excerpt from article
'I'm very disappointed,' *** said," according to the release.

fixed

'I'm very suicidal,' *** said," according to the release.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
This fricken sucks, and if he can't run the 100 U.S. probably won't even medal in the event.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
This really deserves a thread of her own, but not many will understand how amazing she is and her illustrious career but high school junior Jordan Hasay placed 5th in the womens 1500. Doing this she broke the girls high school 1500 record by 2 seconds.
http://images.dyestat.com/us/us2/2008%20outdoor/US%20Olympic%20Trials/day%206/Jordan1.JPG

SeanTaylorRIP
07-05-2008, 04:59 PM
It's such a dumb rule that there are no automatic bids, Tyson won the world championship he should have an automatic olympic bid.

Philliez01
07-05-2008, 05:04 PM
This really deserves a thread of her own, but not many will understand how amazing she is and her illustrious career but high school junior Jordan Hasay placed 5th in the womens 1500. Doing this she broke the girls high school 1500 record by 2 seconds.
http://images.dyestat.com/us/us2/2008%20outdoor/US%20Olympic%20Trials/day%206/Jordan1.JPG

What was kinda coincidental about this was that the record she beat was held by Christine Babcock. I think she did at her state meet, much like German Fernandez went 4:00 / 8:34 which is just unbelievable.

Babcock was the "other" HS runner in that event and it's pretty cool how Hasay ran her race. She didn't do what Babcock did and stay with the leaders. She ran a tactical race. Hung in the back, gradually moved up before outkicking some of the best female runners in the world.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
It's such a dumb rule that there are no automatic bids, Tyson won the world championship he should have an automatic olympic bid.

Its a perfectly fair system, **** happens. Look at someone like Shawn Crawford who won the 200 last olympics and hasn't amounted to much since 04.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Its a perfectly fair system, **** happens. Look at someone like Shawn Crawford who won the 200 last olympics and hasn't amounted to much since 04.

The best runners should be at the olympics, I mean there should at least be a reward for winning the world championships, but w/e, but since you mentioned yeah Crawford has been piss poor since winning the Olympics, but IMO he is the favorite to win tomorrow in the finals and the only American who has any shot at challenging Bolt at the 200. He is running as powerful as he has ever run. Only guy who I think will challenge him and is a lock to make the team is Dix. Dix's lift at the 110 meter point is rediculous. Wallace Spearmon who at one point was a top 2 American at this event is just not getting off fast enough in the first 100 to win, down the back stretch he is still upper level, but that first 100 is killing him. Xavier Carter is running poorly at IMO the best he will finish in the finals is 5th. I think a savy vet like Rodney Martin or Bernard Williams will take the 3rd spot along with Crawford and Dix. And BTW if Tyson is out for the 100 in the Olympics, it's going to be a sad time on the men's side in the sprints, but at least we should dominate the 400. I also think that Jamaica will crush is in the 4x100 relay, I think they'd still beat us with Tyson but we'd have to see. I just don't like Spearmon running on the relay team. I'd have Dix running the first leg, Doc Patten the second leg, Bernard Williams the 3rd leg, and Tyson the final leg. If Tyson can't run it I'd probably but Xavier Carter for that second leg and but Doc on the last leg.

Smokey Joe
07-05-2008, 07:43 PM
The Olympics can go to hell for all I care. They can stay there until they reinstate baseball as an Olympic sport (I believe this is the last year for baseball), and eliminate such sports as badminton and trampoline jumping. ******* ludicrous.

Philliez01
07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm so pissed that Webb couldn't qualify for the 1500m. He got boxed in earlier on and I think he's more of a frontrunner than a kicker. Still, upsetting.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 11:47 AM
This Phelps kid is going to break Spitz's record I think. Its all aobut the new aero dynamic cheatsuits!

Turtlepower
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
The Olympics can go to hell for all I care. They can stay there until they reinstate baseball as an Olympic sport (I believe this is the last year for baseball), and eliminate such sports as badminton and trampoline jumping. ******* ludicrous.

So many factors are at fault for baseball that it is ridiculous. Don't blame other athletes for something that they had no fault in.