PDA

View Full Version : Hancock

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm posting this as a warning to each and every NFLDCer. This movie is absurd.

I went in thinking, hmm, a will smith superhero movie....theres not many directions that they can take this and have it be terrible.

oh....but they found one. Throughout the course of the movie I kept wanting to turn around hoping to find a producer who could tell me just wtf I was watching. There was a maybe a laugh or two, followed by chaos and confusion, then an awkward fight scene, then some more confusion.....a laugh....confusion. I can't even say that whoever wrote this must have been on drugs because it still would have made more sense.

And I couldn't spoil that plot for anyone. Believe me, its about as spoiled as its going to get. If I tried explaining it right here, right now, no one who hasn't already seen it would possibly believe me. Its that ridiculous. It might make sense for the first little bit of the movie and you can kind of see where they might be going and then, no. A really big no. In about 3/10 of a second in one scene...chaos begins and the movie becomes totally and utterly absurd.

I think a guy summed it up pretty well as we were all leaving the packed theater when he said pretty loudly "what the **** was that?" Everyone was just left groveling and scratching their heads. No idea what that was...

So take this as a warning, an urging.....whatever you want. But this movie is completely asinine.

Turtlepower
07-02-2008, 01:04 AM
I disagree with you BB. I thought it was a good movie, but nothing special. Will Smith and Jason Bateman had pretty good performances and it had a nice mix of comedy and a little action.

I will agree that the movie doesn't have a true identity. It never truly was a comedy, action or dramatic kind of film. I think the movie was split into 2-parts and most of you will notice this when you see it. I disagree that it was a completely horrible film, but it wasn't an "A" film by any standard either.

I'd recommend it, but I'd warn people not to expect a lot going in.

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 01:07 AM
I disagree with you BB. I thought it was a good movie, but nothing special. Will Smith and Jason Bateman had pretty good performances and it had a nice mix of comedy and a little action.

I will agree that the movie doesn't have a true identity. It never truly was a comedy, action or dramatic kind of film. I think the movie was split into 2-parts and most of you will notice this when you see it. I disagree that it was a completely horrible film, but it wasn't an "A" film by any standard either.

I'd recommend it, but I'd warn people not to expect a lot going in.

I'm going to disagree with your disagreement. Smith and Bateman were good. My disagreement isn't with the acting.

That plot was plain f-ed up. I'm not going to ruin much but if they would have left out a lot of the asinine storyline that we learn about after the......"sneeze".......and just left how Hanock became Hancock by how he says he did, It would have fine in my book.

That story ruined it for me.

Turtlepower
07-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm going to disagree with your disagreement. Smith and Bateman were good. My disagreement isn't with the acting.

That plot was plain f-ed up. I'm not going to ruin much but if they would have left out a lot of the asinine storyline that we learn about after the......"sneeze".......and just left how Hanock became Hancock by how he says he did, It would have fine in my book.

That story ruined it for me.

Spoiler Alert:

Yeah, I felt that they rushed the explanation a lot as well. What sold me on the film was a fantastic concept at the beginning and a very intrguing concept in the second-part of the film. Now that the two of them are in different cities, I really feel like a weight has been lifted on the movie. I think that this film could have an awesome sequel because there is so much potential here. Also, I was disappointed by the action quite a bit because well, there really wasn't any action scenes lasting more than 5 minutes...

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Spoiler Alert:

Yeah, I felt that they rushed the explanation a lot as well. What sold me on the film was a fantastic concept at the beginning and a very intrguing concept in the second-part of the film. Now that the two of them are in different cities, I really feel like a weight has been lifted on the movie. I think that this film could have an awesome sequel because there is so much potential here. Also, I was disappointed by the action quite a bit because well, there really wasn't any action scenes lasting more than 5 minutes...

More Spoilers:

Well like I said, if they would have just left Hancock's backstory as him having amnesia after a head injury gave him superpowers, blam. Great. They could still have had the bad guys break out of jail and then maybe found some other way to give Hancock a weakness. Then the bad guys could maybe kidnap the kid and the wife and exploit Hancock's weakness somehow. Final dramatic scene....Hancock wins and saves the day, excellent movie. Maybe not excellent but better than what I thought it was plot-wise. We might have to agree to disagree but that story killed it for me...left a bad taste in my mouth...

Turtlepower
07-02-2008, 01:22 AM
More Spoilers:

Well like I said, if they would have just left Hancock's backstory as him having amnesia after a head injury gave him superpowers, blam. Great. They could still have had the bad guys break out of jail and then maybe found some other way to give Hancock a weakness. Then the bad guys could maybe kidnap the kid and the wife and exploit Hancock's weakness somehow. Final dramatic scene....Hancock wins and saves the day, excellent movie. Maybe not excellent but better than what I thought it was plot-wise. We might have to agree to disagree but that story killed it for me...left a bad taste in my mouth...

Spoiler Alert:

I actually would have preferred a cliff hanger that led us to the real backstory of his powers for a second movie. I think then you would have been much happier, am I right?

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Spoiler Alert:

I actually would have preferred a cliff hanger that led us to the real backstory of his powers for a second movie. I think then you would have been much happier, am I right?

I think just about anything other than what it was would have improved it for me...Heck combine our ideas and sure, it would have been much better. But what it actually was......ehhhh......not fun for me

MetSox17
07-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Lol this is funny. To an unsuspecting person you all would seem like complete 'tards typing blank posts.

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Lol this is funny. To an unsuspecting person you all would seem like complete 'tards typing blank posts.

haha, were you the unsuspecting person at first? jk...

thefalconer
07-02-2008, 01:39 AM
man.. i heard good things from a friend of mine who's pretty tough to please. i did hear that the twist was just weird.

bored of education
07-02-2008, 01:41 AM
black drunk super man

Turtlepower
07-02-2008, 01:43 AM
black drunk super man

I'll say this... The previews are a bit of a misconception of the film.

TimD
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
I thought it was okay but the whole twist kinda pissed me off. still entertaining.

BaLLiN
07-02-2008, 10:30 AM
I'll say this... The previews are a bit of a misconception of the film.

yea, it doesnt really give you any real insight into the plot

BaLLiN
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Spoiler Alert:

I liked most of it, I did want it to end earlier and maybe not resolve fully, but it was a good surprise, there was humor, not much acton but it was overal a low B for me.

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I thought it was okay but the whole twist kinda pissed me off. still entertaining.

agreed on the twist part.

Spoiler Alert:

I liked most of it, I did want it to end earlier and maybe not resolve fully, but it was a good surprise, there was humor, not much acton but it was overal a low B for me.

yeah, after sleeping on it for a night, maybe i was a little hard on it but that twist just totally pissed me off still. I would say that if you want to see it, save your money and rent it in a few months.....

Paranoidmoonduck
07-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I went in thinking, hmm, a will smith superhero movie....theres not many directions that they can take this and have it be terrible.

My question is how you could possibly think this?

m2cx149
07-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm posting this as a warning to each and every NFLDCer. This movie is absurd.

oh....but they found one. Throughout the course of the movie I kept wanting to turn around hoping to find a producer who could tell me just wtf I was watching. There was a maybe a laugh or two, followed by chaos and confusion, then an awkward fight scene, then some more confusion.....a laugh....confusion. I can't even say that whoever wrote this must have been on drugs because it still would have made more sense.

And I couldn't spoil that plot for anyone. Believe me, its about as spoiled as its going to get. If I tried explaining it right here, right now, no one who hasn't already seen it would possibly believe me. Its that ridiculous. It might make sense for the first little bit of the movie and you can kind of see where they might be going and then, no. A really big no. In about 3/10 of a second in one scene...chaos begins and the movie becomes totally and utterly absurd.

I think a guy summed it up pretty well as we were all leaving the packed theater when he said pretty loudly "what the **** was that?" Everyone was just left groveling and scratching their heads. No idea what that was...

So take this as a warning, an urging.....whatever you want. But this movie is completely asinine.

I'm still going to see it.

BeerBaron
07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
My question is how you could possibly think this?

well, he goes in. tehres some funny parts, he beats up some bad guys........cool beans. acceptable movie.

was not the case........

regoob2
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Why would you go see it in the first place?? There trailers didnt look good

TimD
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Why would you go see it in the first place?? There trailers didnt look good

i thought the trailers looked real good.

Duster
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Looks terrible. I Am Legend was terrible and it received better reviews. This is going to be horrendous I bet.

neko4
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Spoiler Alert:

Just joking i havent seen it yet...

I like will smith though
Jason bateman... eh... he's alrite

Blah blah

No spoiler

jballa838
07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Spoiler Alert:
I havent seen the movie yet.