PDA

View Full Version : Sonics are done.

jballa838
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Its official :'(
AP Story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-supersonics-seattletrial&prov=ap&type=lgns

Turtlepower
07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Its official :'(
AP Story:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-supersonics-seattletrial&prov=ap&type=lgns

Enjoy the Trailblazers. They're only 3 hours away...

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Idiots. Enjoy your tiny market compared to Seattle.

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 08:57 PM
hahaha since this was pretty forgone for much of the year, I didn't make the connection to the basketball team initially...I thought it would be an article about how the fast food restaurant Sonic is going out of business...

thetedginnshow
07-02-2008, 08:57 PM
This doesn't seem to need its own topic. But oh well. Karma's a ***** so I assume something will go wrong for the Oklahoma franchise.

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Why would a Sonics fan root for them? They're long time rivals.

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Brandon Roy

slightlyaraiderfan
07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh, the team....and not the fast food joint.

Cool.

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Brandon Roy
That is like a Jets fan who starts rooting for the Pats.

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
But if the Jets moved, there'd always be another team in New Jersey. I'm saying this purely to be inflammatory.

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I was just using that as an example off the top of my head. I know that isnt the best example.

thetedginnshow
07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
That's what I always said. As a Seattle resident, I don't think you could ever root for the Blazers. Sounds like a lot of people will though because they're doing so well (or appear as they will).

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals
#1 Michael Beasley & Nolan Smith Fan
And you live in Seattle... how the...?

scottyboy
07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
But if the Jets moved, there'd always be another team in New Jersey. I'm saying this purely to be inflammatory.

there's only one team in New Jersey. The Jets are purely the Giants kids brother who are around for laughs

eaglesfan_45
07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Stupid Move by the Sonics. If your going to move, at least move to Las Vegas, jeez dumb nutzz :D

Bruce Banner
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
You hear that sound of Seattle fans jumping off a cliff? Me neither, they don't exist.

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, most people in Oregon root for the seachickens. And since the Sonics and Blazers have stunk for so long, there's not a whole lot of hatred because of the general lack of enthusiasm from both parts. The Blazers are an up-and-coming team the whole northwest can pull behind, until the Sonics are reborn.

GB12
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
What'll the new name be? My vote would have to be
for the Oklahoma City Scissor-tailed Flycatchers

Bruce Banner
07-02-2008, 09:12 PM
What'll the new name be? My vote would have to be for the Oklahoma City Scissor-tailed Flycatchers

If its not the Cyclones I will commit board suicide.

(via webcam)

Brent
Stupid Move by the Sonics. If your going to move, at least move to Las Vegas, jeez dumb nutzz :D
What are you talking about? When the Hornets were in OK City, they were selling the arena out at an insane speeds.

thetedginnshow
And you live in Seattle... how the...?

I could explain them all to you if you'd like. But yeah. I've always supported the Seattle teams because I've lived there, but I'm not particularly attached to any of them (maybe the Mariners if any of them). Still, I hate to see the city get screwed (of course, technically, it's the opposite, since they're getting money).

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
What'll the new name be? My vote would have to be
for the Oklahoma City Scissor-tailed Flycatchers

Oklahoma City Bombers

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
What are you talking about? When the Hornets were in OK City, they were selling the arena out at an insane speeds.

They'll sell out the first year. The Rockies set an MLB attendance record their first year in operation. But what after that? The city will realize they have a team that stinks, attendance will dwindle (unless they manage to find a way to turn it around) and they will only have the 45th largest market not attending their games as opposed to the 13th.

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Oklahoma City Bombers

Hahahaha, that's in hilariously terrible taste. :D

Forenci
07-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Idiots. Enjoy your tiny market compared to Seattle.

Uh yeah, didn't New Orleans get amazing attendance when they had to play their for a time?

jballa838
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
That actually is my plan. Here is why:
1. Brandon Roy
2. Rudy Fernandez
3. I already have 2 nicknames for players: B-Roy and Goden
4. McMillan is the coach
5. Next closest.
6. Paul Allen owns starbucks
7. Their name has historical significance.
8. I hate the Jazz.

kwilk103
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
oh man, that title scared me for a sec til i read the story

i thought it was about the drive-in restaurant sonic

eaglesfan_45
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Uh yeah, didn't New Orleans get amazing attendance when they had to play their for a time?

Which could actually raise another problem, Oklahoma City is dedicated to the Hornets.

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Oklahoma City Bombers
Where did you see that?

jballa838
07-02-2008, 09:25 PM
wow. As much as I love Sonic, I didnt think half the thread would be about how this is not about them. freaking Sonic hijacking my thread.

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Yup, It's because the people of OKC got to see something that hasn't been in their city for a long time: a professional basketball team. The only pro basketball teams they get to watch are Texas teams on FSN or ESPN. They wanted to see something they've never seen before live, even if they suck.

And like I said the Rockies set an MLB attendance record their first year in operation.

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Where did you see that?

it's my proposed idea for their new name

Jay
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree, definitely deserves it's own thread. This is the outcome that makes the most sense. Dude bought the team to bring them to OKC. Even if he wanted to stay in Seattle, I don't think the city was going to work with him, so whatev. It's going to be weird not having the Sonics, but can't wait to see what OKC will be called and their color scheme and whatnot.

Also can't wait for the expansion Sonics to start up. I can't imagine they come in alone, Las Vegas finally?

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Las Vegas finally?
With the image problems the NBA struggles with, I severely doubt it.

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 09:30 PM
I agree, definitely deserves it's own thread. This is the outcome that makes the most sense. Dude bought the team to bring them to OKC. Even if he wanted to stay in Seattle, I don't think the city was going to work with him, so whatev. It's going to be weird not having the Sonics, but can't wait to see what OKC will be called and their color scheme and whatnot.

Also can't wait for the expansion Sonics to start up. I can't imagine they come in alone, Las Vegas finally?

come again? Expansion Sonics? Isn't the team just moving...

Jay
07-02-2008, 09:34 PM
come again? Expansion Sonics? Isn't the team just moving...

Seattle will get another team. I am pretty sure Stern has said as much...

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM

ahhh did not know this...thanks

bantx
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
edit..............

thetedginnshow
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Haha. Every account I've read of people that have been to both cities has really talked up Seattle, while has talked about what a wasteland Oklahoma is. Sorry for Durant & Co. Hopefully for them this team wins early and often, or this little experiment will be a disaster.

GB12
I still don't understand why they didn't just keep the Sonics in Seattle and let this guy start a new team in Oklahoma City.

eaglesfan_45

I <3 this idea! :D

brat316
07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
What are they going to change the team name to isn't don't the Sonics have something to do with a building in Seattle

jballa838
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
What are they going to change the team name to isn't don't the Sonics have something to do with a building in Seattle
no the Boeing airfields. Nice try though.

Jay
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I still don't understand why they didn't just keep the Sonics in Seattle and let this guy start a new team in Oklahoma City.

You would think that would have been the easiest way, but he went about it the hard way to make sure he got his team. He didn't want to wait around to see if he'd be granted a team, so he took matters into his own hand. I admire his determination as much as I feel bad for the city of Seattle.

I guess the same argument can be made for the Hornets...

Bruce
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
They tried damn hard to steal the Hornets.

Forenci
07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Yup, It's because the people of OKC got to see something that hasn't been in their city for a long time: a professional basketball team. The only pro basketball teams they get to watch are Texas teams on FSN or ESPN. They wanted to see something they've never seen before live, even if they suck.

And like I said the Rockies set an MLB attendance record their first year in operation.

Or maybe the team loyalty was bad and no fans showed up to Sonics games?

Granted, they are pretty bad but a team like the Knicks who are an absolutely disgrace still remain in the top 10 for attendance this year.

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
You would think that would have been the easiest way, but he went about it the hard way to make sure he got his team.
I would say this would be the easy way. Once you own the team all you need is the owners' approval and they'll agree to move a team if it means more revenue. Seattle fans never went to the games. Hell, people went to Mavs games all the time, my family included, even when they were only winning sub-20 games a year.

thetedginnshow
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Granted, they are pretty bad but a team like the Knicks who are an absolutely disgrace still remain in the top 10 for attendance this year.

Of course, for the season, the Hornets, Pacers, and Sixers had worse attendance. And not that the people there saw the opportunity to steal a team or anything. The Knicks are a horrible comparison considering what they mean to the NBA, of course. But the only way we'll see these Oklahoma "fans" tested is if they have to suffer through a couple bad seasons.

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 09:51 PM
the way I see it is that the Sonics organization weren't doing well in Seattle, whether it be because of the team itself or the fanbase...by moving an existing, "failing" team and then bringing in a completely new organization, maybe the owner and NBA feel having a brand new team would bring back excitement to the city, where the Sonics had succeeded in the past

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Of course, for the season, the Hornets, Pacers, and Sixers had worse attendance.
But they weren't for sale.

eaglesfan_45
07-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Great Idea!!!

Move the LA Clippers to Las Vegas!!

They are an afterthought in LA, and for those few Clippers fans they are within driving distance! The NBA wouldn't even have to re-shuffle the divisions!! :D

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Great Idea!!!

They are an afterthought in LA, and for those few Clippers fans they are within driving distance! The NBA wouldn't even have to re-shuffle the divisions!! :D
well, when they had that one good season people went to games. so maybe with Baron and if they can bring Brand back they'll be good again?

iworshipbender
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM

And that's why the Knickerbockers won't be any good for a long time, and haven't won a championship since the 70's. Because your idiot fans can't see that if the team starts losing revenue due to lower fan attendance, the owners might put a little more effort into building them into winners so they get more money. Look at what happened to the Lakers, the fans stop going to the games when Kobe starts demanding to be traded, and they decide to build a championship caliber team. Look at the Red Sox, they were terrible for about 86 years, and the fans still went being "loyal" to a crappy team that the owners put very little effort into building. Their fans criticized the Yankees for playing moneyball, and look at what their new owner does, he decides to try and make fans (who buy lots of merchandise) internationally by not only being very good, but paying top dollar for international players like Matsuzaka.

Jay
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3264461

Brent
07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3264461
Thunder isnt bad. Twisters makes me laugh. Especially because of the potential for ironic tragedy.

thetedginnshow
But they weren't for sale.

Well, that has nothing do with his argument, so I don't see your point. But if you want a rebuttal for that, Memphis also had worse attendance than Seattle, and yes, they were for sale.

iworshipbender
Great Idea!!!

The Clippers would never move, their deal with the Staples Center is too lucrative to give up.

Brent
07-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, that has nothing do with his argument, so I don't see your point. But if you want a rebuttal for that, Memphis also had worse attendance than Seattle, and yes, they were for sale.
Well, you brought up that they had worse attendance and while that may have been true, the guy wanted to buy a team and he did, that part had nothing to do with attendance. He most likely just wanted the best deal. That is why Cuban bought the Mavs so many years ago, it was the cheapest priced team. Regardless, I cannot tell you why he bought them for sure but I was simply saying that attendance probably wasnt the main reason for his purchase. However, attendance most likely had an effect on the owners' voting yes to move the team.

iowatreat54
07-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Thunder isnt bad. Twisters makes me laugh. Especially because of the potential for ironic tragedy.

I'm telling you guys, Oklahoma City Bombers FTW!

GB12
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Nah, it's all about the Oklahoma City Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. Has a great ring to it.

Bruce Banner
07-02-2008, 10:08 PM

If they are going to bet they might as well go all-in.

The Timothy McVeighs.

brat316
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
And that's why the Knickerbockers won't be any good for a long time, and haven't won a championship since the 70's. Because your idiot fans can't see that if the team starts losing revenue due to lower fan attendance, the owners might put a little more effort into building them into winners so they get more money. Look at what happened to the Lakers, the fans stop going to the games when Kobe starts demanding to be traded, and they decide to build a championship caliber team. Look at the Red Sox, they were terrible for about 86 years, and the fans still went being "loyal" to a crappy team that the owners put very little effort into building. Their fans criticized the Yankees for playing moneyball, and look at what their new owner does, he decides to try and make fans (who buy lots of merchandise) internationally by not only being very good, but paying top dollar for international players like Matsuzaka.

Thatas what peploe need to to for Madden stop buying it so it become good

Forenci
07-03-2008, 12:03 AM

So let me get this straight. What you're saying is that Knicks fans are morons because they are loyal and passionate about the team they love even when they aren't good? Brilliant argument.

Clearly you don't know anything about the Knicks organization. It's not that our owner doesn't want to spend money (Dolan is loaded and dishes out millions) but it's a simple known fact that he's not bright and that Isiah Thomas was easily one of the worst coaches and President of Basketball Operations...ever.

Let's all just abandon our teams when they are terrible and then hop on the band wagon when they start becoming good. Sounds like a plan!

SuperMcGee
07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I thought you meant the food place. I am deliciously relieved.

Turtlepower
07-03-2008, 12:11 AM

Seriously, I don't think I have ever heard someone argue that you should stop rooting for your team for your team to improve. That makes absolutely no sense.

MetSox17
07-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Seriously, I don't think I have ever heard someone argue that you should stop rooting for your team for your team to improve. That makes absolutely no sense.

His form of rooting for his team means showing up to games and screaming his brains out. The other guy was basically telling him the only way the ownership ill decide to do something about their horrible team is to stop going to games.

eaglesfan_45
07-03-2008, 12:56 AM
I think what Iworshipbender is trying to say is Owners care about profits, not wether or not the fans are happy, so the owner will continue to put out mediocre teams because as long as they are making a profit, they don't care. Thus, boycotting (sp?) the team would cost the owner money and thus, the owner would fix the team.

I don't agree though because every owner wants to win a title because it'll increase revenue, and publicity for their team, so I think a team is always either putting their best team on the court or building a team to be the best team on the court in the future in order to win a chamionship.

iworshipbender
07-03-2008, 01:50 AM

Never stop rooting for your team, just stop buying their stuff and going to their games until they put something out there worth watching

iworshipbender
07-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I think what Iworshipbender is trying to say is Owners care about profits, not wether or not the fans are happy, so the owner will continue to put out mediocre teams because as long as they are making a profit, they don't care. Thus, boycotting (sp?) the team would cost the owner money and thus, the owner would fix the team.

I don't agree though because every owner wants to win a title because it'll increase revenue, and publicity for their team, so I think a team is always either putting their best team on the court or building a team to be the best team on the court in the future in order to win a chamionship.

Sure, everyone would LOVE to come by a championship to increase revenue. However, if you're like the Cubs, and you can sell out every game every year, and sell tons of your merchandise every year... All you have to do is make it look like you're contending every once in a while, blame your titleless streak on curses and whatnot, and you've got yourself a highly profitable product that doesn't have to be good to sell it. It's just like Apple computers!

Not supporting your team's losing ways by not buying their stuff and going to their games is a great way to send a message to ownership to accomplish something. That's why the Sonics are moving. They were too bad for too long and people stopped caring about them. However, if they had put out a good team that actually goes to the playoffs and advances past the first round, people would immediately forget about how bad they were for the past quarter century and cheer for them.

I don't support the move by the Sonics, because it is based entirely off of one curiosity driven season by the dislocated Hornets who's entire fan base that year had probably never seen a live NBA game in their lives. Now if the Sonics had put a good team that went to the playoffs (like the Anaheim Ducks) and STILL didn't draw fans (like the Anaheim Ducks) THEN I would support a move.

thetedginnshow
07-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Well, you brought up that they had worse attendance and while that may have been true, the guy wanted to buy a team and he did, that part had nothing to do with attendance. He most likely just wanted the best deal. That is why Cuban bought the Mavs so many years ago, it was the cheapest priced team. Regardless, I cannot tell you why he bought them for sure but I was simply saying that attendance probably wasnt the main reason for his purchase. However, attendance most likely had an effect on the owners' voting yes to move the team.

I think you just walked into an argument that you didn't particularly read all too well, because everything he said centralized around attendance, and that's what I was talking about, not whatever you're going on about with why Bennett bought the team.

But also, about the owners voting yes, well, the two smartest businessmen of them all voted no, so I'm not saying anything, but...

Forenci
07-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Heh, most people forget that players and teams can often get lost in Seattle being that far out on the west coast.

I'm not saying this was the right move in terms of doing right by the fans but there is no denying the marketability and chance to get good press is greatly increased by moving to Oklahoma City.

Plus you can't say the Sonics haven't tried to make the team better. They are trying to get under the cap by trading away contracts and doing a good job in the draft. Now when a big name player hits the free agent market down the road they can afford to bring him in and he'll want to go play in Oklahoma because it's more media friendly than Seattle is.

iworshipbender
07-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Oklahoma City is no more media friendly than New Orleans. That being said, when New Orleans was playing spectacular, you heard way more about the failure that is the Knicks and their "FIRE ISSIAH OMGZ!!!!!!!eleventy!1" than one of the top teams in the west. It's just the way it works, almost all of the big name media are located in the New York/New England area and they don't really pay much attention to anywhere else (maybe LA, and Dallas but it's never as much as NY/NE) unless a disaster occurs.

cdub11
07-03-2008, 09:22 AM
looks like im in the minority here, but since i live in OKC im glad the NBA will be back here... cant wait til season tickets go on sale

Turtlepower
07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
looks like im in the minority here, but since i live in OKC im glad the NBA will be back here... cant wait til season tickets go on sale

Oklahoma City is the seventh largest city by square-mileage in the country.

Also, Braum's is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent
07-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Also, Braum's is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gross haha.

Turtlepower
07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Gross haha.

Where else can you get country fried steak at a fast-food place, while also doing some grocery shopping.

cdub11
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
several of the okc sports radio guys are wanting the thunderbirds as the new name

Brent
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Where else can you get country fried steak at a fast-food place, while also doing some grocery shopping.
it's just... wrong. they're just a DQ (which has been around longer) rip off.

Brent
07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
several of the okc sports radio guys are wanting the thunderbirds as the new name
That's interesting. Not a bad name but I wonder what the logo would be like? Something Native-American inspired? I doubt it, with the image problems the NBA struggles with.

Bruce Banner
07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
http://www.totalpokemon.com/images/tcg/base/016.jpg

jballa838
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Ironically, Seattle has an AHL team named the Seattle Thunderbirds. We'll give them to you for the sonics straight up.

Brent
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
one of the Mavericks' beat writers want them to be the "Dusters".

Bruce Banner
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
The Carpetbaggers. It makes sense.

cdub11
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
That's interesting. Not a bad name but I wonder what the logo would be like? Something Native-American inspired? I doubt it, with the image problems the NBA struggles with.

i hope not, will be interesting to see the new name, color scheme and logo

Brent
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
i hope not, will be interesting to see the new name, color scheme and logo
Hopefully it will be better than the Bobcats...

bored of education
07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
the Oklahoma City Bombers

Bruce Banner
07-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Oklahoma City Bombers..........

iowatreat54
07-03-2008, 11:22 AM

copy cat! :mad:

good work Bruce, I must spread some rep before +repping though

bored of education
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I didnt read the thread :(

sorry

iowatreat54
07-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I didnt read the thread :(

sorry

it's ok, it's such a great name that everyone should be able to bask in its glory :D

OSUGiants17
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I can't stand comments like this, the Hornets are a good team and have CP3 that is why they sold tickets in OKC. Seattle on the other hand is not that good of a team there for the main reason they will sell is because of Kevin Durant

Turtlepower
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I can't stand comments like this, the Hornets are a good team and have CP3 that is why they sold tickets in OKC. Seattle on the other hand is not that good of a team there for the main reason they will sell is because of Kevin Durant

You mean the Hornets who finished the season below .500 and CP3 was only a rookie? They weren't that great of a team when they were in OKC. Probably just as good as the current Seattle team.

Bruce Banner
07-03-2008, 11:58 AM

The novelty of a new team wears off rather quickly. Esspecially if the team is a loser. The Nationals just built a new stadium and they are struggling to get it to half capacity.

Paul
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1492&page=624

Date July 02 Time 7:00 PM CT

Oklahoma City Bombers?

I really didn't want to do that.

Boo-yaka-sha

Just shows that this board is filled with tasteless bastards.

Turtlepower
07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Any city in a top-50 market can support a team as long as the team performs well.

Anyone else forget that LA couldn't support a football team...

iowatreat54
07-03-2008, 12:08 PM

Boo-yaka-sha

already been mentioned here by BoE and myself, but I'll look you up when I get to hell :)

iworshipbender
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Boo-yaka-sha

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/cool_dude100/1197761672725.png

Paul
07-03-2008, 02:40 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/cool_dude100/1197761672725.png

Really? How is that again?

m2cx149
07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
The Sonics are going to do worse in Oklahoma City.

Brent
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
well, that isnt that big of a stretch, they were already pretty bad and Durant isnt going to be anything special.