PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Sosa

Jonny
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
This was in a local paper today:

Sosa to Work Out

The top unsigned college prospect will showcase his skills for NFL scouts on July 8 at the Rutgers Football Complex. Rutgers offensive tackle Pedro Sosa, a starter of 38 games for the Scarlet Knights at left offensive tackle, will be working out for scouts this coming week.

Sosa, who originally injured his left knee preparing for the Louisville game, had micro-fracture surgery on March 18 to tighten up his left knee joint.

According to his agent, Marc Lillibridge, Sosa is healthy and ready to put on a show for the scouts.

“Pedro really struggled at both the East-West Shrine game and at the combine workouts, and we decided to go ahead with the knee surgery,” Lillibridge said. “We knew it would hurt his draft stock to get the surgery done, but I decided to go ahead with the operation for his long-term health.

He has been training with NFL Hall of Fame offensive tackle Jackie Slater and Jackie says that he thinks that Pedro could be a starter in the NFL if he can get 100 percent healthy.

Rutgers team doctor Tim Hosea did the surgery and has given Pedro a clean bill of health. I know it is late in the process, but we expect a handful of teams to be here for the workout and more to request the workout video.”

Sosa would have likely been a 3rd round pick, but that knee injury ruined the second half of his senior season and limited him from doing much before the draft. He's working out tomorrow (Tuesday), and this could be a very good pick up for a team that needs an athletic tackle that knows how to zone block.

TFY said a week ago that the Bucs and the Dolphins were showing the most interest. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him land in TB, so he could play with Zuttah again. There may not be a supplemental draft this year, but that doesn't mean there won't be an opportunity for NFL teams to add talent in July.

IndyColtScout
07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Well, I think he would be a great backup for Tony Ugoh. I was very interested in him, and I still am. Personally, I don't like either of our main backup OT for the Colts, and Sosa is a very good fit for our style and scheme. I just hope the Colts go to the workout.

PACKmanN
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
He might be moved to center. He has short arms, but has great feet movement.

Jonny
07-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Sosa signed with the Dolphins. Great pickup for them.

SKim172
07-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Correction: the Dolphins worked out Pedro Sosa.

Sun-Sentinel article. (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-rutgers-dol0722,0,4990.story)

According to the report, they probably won't consider signing until they get results of a full physical.

Apparently, the Phins are the first of six team scheduled to work out with Sosa. Good luck to him.

He's not the biggest guy and he doesn't fit the physical mold, but anyone who watched him knows he knows how to play. Completely manhandled some big names, including Mr. Sack-a-thon George Selvie. In the past two season, with Sosa on the left side, Rutgers gave up a total of 19 sacks. That's damn good.

BaLLiN
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
idk about center, and tackle possibly, but i always thought of him as a guard.

Staubach12
07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Guard seems most logical to me, as well.

Jonny
07-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I strongly disagree. Tackle in a ZBS.

I know what that report said, but the MSG report said he signed. It may just be pending passing a physical.

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Wow, a team doctor did micro-fracture surgery? That's intense. Rutgers must have a kick-*** team doctor.

SKim172
07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I know what that report said, but the MSG report said he signed. It may just be pending passing a physical.

No reports of a signing I can find.

I did find a report from the Sun-Sentinel blog (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2008/07/things-i-think.html), which mentions this tidbit:

[Jeff] Ireland also said Tuesday's workout of Rutgers offensive tackle Pedro Sosa likely won't result in him being signed. Ireland said Sosa needs more time to recover from his injury. I didn't really see how they were going to get that done anyway because the Dolphins need to cut one player for every player signed from this point out to meet the 80 player camp maximum.

PACKmanN
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
someone should put him on their PS squad and allow him to heal.

gator3guy
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
someone should put him on their PS squad and allow him to heal.

or IR to prevent losing him.