PDA

View Full Version : The Official Tour de France thread

Addict
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Is anyone watching this thing?

Caddy
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Nope, but Cadel Evans for the championship!

Addict
07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Nope, but Cadel Evans for the championship!

Some Spanish guy just hit a traffic sign, he looks pretty badly hurt, plus there's a group of four who escaped and have been in the lead for about 170 km now. They've pretty much torn apart the peleton (platoon?) but whatever. Don't worry Evans is still in the first group of guys after the escaped foursome.

Caddy
07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Some Spanish guy just hit a traffic sign, he looks pretty badly hurt, plus there's a group of four who escaped and have been in the lead for about 170 km now. They've pretty much torn apart the peleton (platoon?) but whatever. Don't worry Evans is still in the first group of guys after the escaped foursome.

Yeah it's peloton. I try not to get into the road racing too much. My old man owns a bike shop and he likes the stuff, but I'm not the biggest fan of the sport. I used to ride, but it gets boring.

Addict
07-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah it's peloton. I try not to get into the road racing too much. My old man owns a bike shop and he likes the stuff, but I'm not the biggest fan of the sport. I used to ride, but it gets boring.

well it does, but the Tour is in my summer vacation, and it's a great excuse to spend a day on the couch with some snacks.

awfullyquiet
07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
i'm a HUGE fan of the tour... and cycling in general. love it.

anyway. i would be watching it if i wasn't in the middle of the boons. yeah. no tv! awesome. not the point. i'm going to be home before they start getting into the middle mountain stages and oh my.

i'm sitting on a couch watching miguel induran own in the 93 giro. so smooth. so gorgeous. cycling is weird as a sport though, chess game on wheels. i mean. it's the smart mans nascar... fight. position. push. tactics. oh, it's fantastic, if you can get past the greasies on bikes.

Cancellara is screwed this year lacking tons of TTing.

Addict
07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
i'm a HUGE fan of the tour... and cycling in general. love it.

anyway. i would be watching it if i wasn't in the middle of the boons. yeah. no tv! awesome. not the point. i'm going to be home before they start getting into the middle mountain stages and oh my.

i'm sitting on a couch watching miguel induran own in the 93 giro. so smooth. so gorgeous. cycling is weird as a sport though, chess game on wheels. i mean. it's the smart mans nascar... fight. position. push. tactics. oh, it's fantastic, if you can get past the greasies on bikes.

Cancellara is screwed this year lacking tons of TTing.

the tour in it's early stages usually isn't very exciting yet. It gets better when teh real tactics start to matter.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Whoever is caught doping I want to win! Or I want aq to win!

awfullyquiet
07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
the tour in it's early stages usually isn't very exciting yet. It gets better when teh real tactics start to matter.

i know, hence why i didn't mind taking a nice long trip in the beginning.

eventually when you hit the mountains, everything catches up. and that's next weekend. joy.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi aq i miss you

awfullyquiet
07-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Whoever is caught doping I want to win! Or I want aq to win!

i can't win. i'm not that good. lol.

seriously though, with boonan out, i'm trying to think of who could get caught actually, slipstream-chipotle goes daily tests.

high road/columbia is also subject to as big of testing. everyone is. if anyone gets caught this year, it'll be an even darker day for cycling.

ninerfan
07-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Comes on TV here at 10pm and nothing better than sitting there watchin the last 2 - 3 hrs of the stage. As 24caddy will say the commentary is excellent, scenary stunning and we have an Ozzie as favourite. Viva le tour

Brent
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
people are watching this?

themaninblack
07-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I would watch it if it were on any channels that we get. I've always been very interested in the tour ever since I did a project on it in HS.

Philliez01
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey, used to do some small followings of the biking world but the past few years I haven't.

Is Hincappie still around, to those who know?

fischbowl
07-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi aq i miss you

AQ to Victory!!!!

adschofield
07-08-2008, 02:01 AM
I want someone from Slipstream to win...They were on Real Sports and seemed pretty badass

iworshipbender
07-08-2008, 02:26 AM
I'd rather watch soccer.

wicket
07-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey, used to do some small followings of the biking world but the past few years I haven't.

Is Hincappie still around, to those who know?

Yes he is but he is way over his peak, should probably consider retirement in about minus 2 years tbh. If i am brutaly honoust there isn't much joy for americans in this tour de france.

eaglesalltheway
07-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Yeah we don't have much to look at in terms of winning the whole thing. But it is excited nonetheless. I am probably one of the few people who enjoy both Nascar and the Tour. My friends are bike racers, and my one friend was actually going to be trying out for the US Olympic team this year but couldn't because she was injured, but they got me into cycling about 6 or 7 years ago, and I've been hooked since. There was a guy on Discovery last year who has a legitimate shot this year, IMO, but I can't remember his name. (I think he was from Spain, not sure) I haven't watched any stages yet, as I have work during the day and I was away this weekend, but I'll see if I can catch some of the re-airs that versus puts up at like 10:00. I was looking for the tour last night, but they had WEC. I watched that as I am also a fan of that but that is not important. I need to watch some of this as it is now a summer tradition of mine.

awfullyquiet
07-14-2008, 10:21 PM
it got beautiful today. jersey changes, frickan the tourmalet... for most of those who care. that was yesterday. but i watched it when i got home from work, and was just in love... cavendish after beating it out for a few days goes down hard, vandervelde makes some late attacks and keeps the jersey close.

oh, and how about the brutal pace jens voigt killed everyone with on the race up the tourmalet? he's still so good for being old.

"Jens Voigt once challenged Lance Armstrong to a “who has more testicles” contest. Jens won… by five."

ninerfan
07-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Cadell in yellow !! Can his team support him this far from Paris ? I doubt it but I think he can still win

BlindSite
07-15-2008, 07:23 PM
I was talking to a former pro cycler who is either extremely bitter or extremely honest and he said and I quote "there's not one guy in any cycling event who's not on some kind of enhancement"

my take: Seems to be at least semi true with how many cyclists get done year in and out.

awfullyquiet
07-16-2008, 01:18 AM
I was talking to a former pro cycler who is either extremely bitter or extremely honest and he said and I quote "there's not one guy in any cycling event who's not on some kind of enhancement"

my take: Seems to be at least semi true with how many cyclists get done year in and out.

I'm not pro, but I'm an american cat 2. And I can say, out of the people i know who are cat 1 and actually play for money (unlike me, i just do it because i like to attack. and attack. and attack. and i'm good at climbing, but am stuck in the midwest of america which is as flat as glass.), everyone's on 'enhancements'. It's called diet regulation, workout regulation, vitas... protein balance. the same thing people in every sport nowadays do. garmin chipotle is doing it, high road definitely is doing it. cycling is as much a mental game as a physical game. Jens Voigt was able to do what he did yesterday because he is a master of the mental game. Forcing out physical pain, and just tempoing until your opponents are forced to into barney.

With daily testing, it's hard to get away with it. Did you see how many people in the last two years were busted and barred from the Giro and Tour?

eaglesalltheway
07-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Two of my friends cycle in both road racing and track and one is a cat 1 and I don't know what the other one is. They were telling me that with all of the testing, you have to be careful of what sports drinks you consume. The one drink Krank'd has so much caffeine in it that any urine test will show up positive fro some substance, I don't know what though. Both of them really don't do anything special for their diets, but my one friend is one of the best young women cyclists around, and with the velodrome we have here, there is a lot of competition.

Caddy
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Cadell in yellow !! Can his team support him this far from Paris ? I doubt it but I think he can still win

I think an Aussie, Aussie, Aussie; Oi, Oi, Oi is appropriate here.

Wootylicous
07-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Well Cadel just lost the yellow to Schleck. What a great race it was today.

ninerfan
07-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Well Cadel just lost the yellow to Schleck. What a great race it was today.

Not a bad thing, he doesnt have the team support he requires to take it all the way to Paris. He can now hunt the leaders, stay within reach and will claim the lead back in the time trial on the 2nd last day. I say he still wins.

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 04:18 PM
This tour is so nuts.

BlindSite
07-24-2008, 05:36 PM
He lost to a better racer than the current jersey holder last year by 23 seconds when he was 1:50 behind.

Now he's 1:34 behind. Apparently people reckon cadel could have been up to two minutes behind and still be a chance for a win.

This is exciting. I hope he wins, I'll make over $100.00 from bets.

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 05:38 PM
It's gonna go like a lemond win... time trial victory.

eaglesalltheway
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
In some ways I like those, and in some ways I don't. The Battles up in the mountains are just epic to me, as each leader is fighting not only himself but all of the competition. In the time trial, it is more just the competitor, but the rider finding the inner strength is also something that I like to. I;ve missed quite a few stages this year, like 5, and it has been hard to get as into it as I was the last few years, which is a shame, because this is a great Tour, and is shaping up to end with a ton of excitement.

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
it actually gives you something to fight for during the TT's...

most the time, by the TT's... the game is over... i personally loathe tt's... they're so hard. running 90, 95 percent... if it's windy, the TT's will favor the freshest, best techniqued tt'er...

these decents though have been nuts. n-u-t-s...

i'm also a day behind on the tour...

ninerfan
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
He lost to a better racer than the current jersey holder last year by 23 seconds when he was 1:50 behind.

Now he's 1:34 behind. Apparently people reckon cadel could have been up to two minutes behind and still be a chance for a win.

This is exciting. I hope he wins, I'll make over $100.00 from bets.

In the other time trial earlier this tour Cadel was 1.40 quicker than Sastre and that was only 23 kms long. In the same time trial last year (53 km) Cadel was 3.30 quicker than him. Trust me Cadel will blow Sastre away and will win the tour by atleast 0.30 sec. Well I hope so (fingers crossed)

awfullyquiet
07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
In the other time trial earlier this tour Cadel was 1.40 quicker than Sastre and that was only 23 kms long. In the same time trial last year (53 km) Cadel was 3.30 quicker than him. Trust me Cadel will blow Sastre away and will win the tour by atleast 0.30 sec. Well I hope so (fingers crossed)

Hell. There might even be a sprint ftw at Champs-Elysées this year... again.

eaglesalltheway
07-25-2008, 06:56 AM
So much can happen between now and Paris though. I mean a friggin dog could run out in front of a leader and break their collarbone. Its unfortunate, but things like that happen all the time.

awfullyquiet
07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
So much can happen between now and Paris though. I mean a friggin dog could run out in front of a leader and break their collarbone. Its unfortunate, but things like that happen all the time.

and that is what makes it fun... the sheer unpredictability... that and that one RSA kid going off the cliff the other day.

eaglesalltheway
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Wasn't there a train that interrupted a stage two or three years ago? I remember the leaders slowed down out of courtesy or something like that. I might be thinking of something else though.

awfullyquiet
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Wasn't there a train that interrupted a stage two or three years ago? I remember the leaders slowed down out of courtesy or something like that. I might be thinking of something else though.

I think so.

The beautiful part about cycling is that you don't win by taking advantage of someone, you win by your own might, which is why you never attack in the feed zone, while you're pissing, and sometimes, like a few years ago when ullrich crashed, armstrong waited for him... and visa versa... because if you're going to win, it's because you're better, not because you got a real lucky break by something people don't have control over necessarly...

that alps d'huez stage was so nasty though. 5.5 hours, 97 mi...

awfullyquiet
07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
FINALLY SCHUMACHER with the win.

after compiling breakaway, after breakaway, after breakaway, after breakaway, and then coming out and giving a constant 95% effort on the time trial... he's damn near god in my mind right now. Sastre may win the yellow jersey, but Schumacher might come home with the gold in the Olympics...

Wootylicous
07-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Andy Schleck is beast.

awfullyquiet
07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Andy Schleck is beast.

he's good now. he'll be better in a few years barring sucky injuries that the pro pelaton.