PDA

View Full Version : Wiffleball Thread

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Wiffleball is one of the greatest sports out there. Average Joes can go out there and win the game. However, I have become very serious at the game this past 2 summers. I am a pitcher, who can throw just about every pitch in the book. I have great velocity and movement on my pitches, but the only knock on my game is that I have poor control. I dont know if it is common in Wiffleball to throw some wild pitches or if my shoulder is completely screwed up.

I want to make this thread to get tips and advice from fellow wiffleballers.

The best wiffleball pitcher on youtube is this guy. He seems to be a step ahead of everybody at the sport.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rslXAXE6Y

kwilk103
07-07-2008, 09:26 PM
i love wiffleball

used to have epic games when i was younger

i was awesome

bored of education
07-07-2008, 09:28 PM
i can pitch very good but not that good lol kid is sick nice

bored of education
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
but i love wiffleball

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanky you, I am glad to hear a response; I was afraid of getting laughed at.

Do you still play anymore?

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:30 PM
i can pitch very good but not that good lol kid is sick nice

Yeah I know 1 out of 20 of my pitches are in his league.

Anyone here throw a good Screwball or Knuckleball.... I need advice.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I throw a screw ball. Its about release point, wrist angle and break in wrist. Sometimes depending on the pitch you dont need to throw it your hardest. Also follow through. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!!!!

adschofield
07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Is pitching a wiffleball the same as pitching in baseball?

Brent
07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
how do you get that velocity?

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Is pitching a wiffleball the same as pitching in baseball?

It makes the same movement in baseball (Slider, Sinker, Curve etc.)

But the major difference is the actual break of the pitch. The breaking balls are exagerated in wiffleball and it is physically impossible to achieve the same movement in baseball. Wiffleballs are plastic with holes on the side if you didnt know that.

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
how do you get that velocity?

Well, I think he just throws it very hard. And the more velocity you put on a pitch, the more movement you get.(Unless your throwing an Eephus or a lobbing pitch.)

I have expermented by throwing at Non-breaking Slider/Riser pitch that just flies out of my hand with minimal effort. I actually broke a window with that pitch. It is alot faster than my fastball even though I use less energy to throw it.

kwilk103
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
anyone else play you could throw the ball at the runner to get an out?

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
anyone else play you could throw the ball at the runner to get an out?

I was thinking about playing like that because it does add a lot of fun to the game. So yeah I do.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I play a lot. I'm a real good pitcher, and I do not rely on movement at all. I throw a wiffleball pretty damn fast, then I drop a normal, 12-6 hook. I'm kind of like the young Doc Gooden of wiffle ball.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Well, I think he just throws it very hard. And the more velocity you put on a pitch, the more movement you get.(Unless your throwing an Eephus or a lobbing pitch.)

I have expermented by throwing at Non-breaking Slider/Riser pitch that just flies out of my hand with minimal effort. I actually broke a window with that pitch. It is alot faster than my fastball even though I use less energy to throw it.

also depending on where the holes are when you release it...it can go faster.

alot of dynamics with goofy ball.

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I throw a screw ball. Its about release point, wrist angle and break in wrist. Sometimes depending on the pitch you dont need to throw it your hardest. Also follow through. Practice, practice, practice!!!!!!!!

At your release point are the holes facing second base or first base?
Do you throw it sidearm?
Do you throw it like this pro?

Start it at 3:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HErJ-pLunQ

ATLDirtyBirds
07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Buffalo, have you ever seen Joe Smith pitch? I'm at a loss for anyone who throws like him. Basically, if you hold a wiffleball in anyway (slider grip) and then drop down like he does, you get a ball that will start about 6-8 behind a right hand hitter, then drop right in on the inside corner.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 09:58 PM
At your release point are the holes facing second base or first base?
Do you throw it sidearm?
Do you throw it like this pro?

Start it at 3:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HErJ-pLunQ

its wiffle ball season and i will have to watch that a few more times. thansk for that video.

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Buffalo, have you ever seen Joe Smith pitch? I'm at a loss for anyone who throws like him. Basically, if you hold a wiffleball in anyway (slider grip) and then drop down like he does, you get a ball that will start about 6-8 behind a right hand hitter, then drop right in on the inside corner.

Can say I do..... that is interesting...... Do you have any videos of him?

ATLDirtyBirds
07-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Can say I do..... that is interesting...... Do you have any videos of him?

http://www.hotfootblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/smith.jpg

That's the perfect angle. It's not quite submarine, but you need that drop-down. It's my go to pitch if I'm getting tired and my fastball can't find the zone. It's good to change the hitters prespective of how you are throwing it.

Bruce Banner
07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
This has to **** your arm up. Hard ballers, don't pitch.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
def messes up your arm

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
I am risking my life out there for wiffleball, but its worth it.

bored of education
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Its fun for sure. I tend to pitching better with a few beers in me for some reason.

TheBuffaloBills
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
http://www.hotfootblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/smith.jpg

That's the perfect angle. It's not quite submarine, but you need that drop-down. It's my go to pitch if I'm getting tired and my fastball can't find the zone. It's good to change the hitters prespective of how you are throwing it.

Ok yeah.... I agree with you that can be deadly. However I dont know how to throw a slider at the angle of Joe Smith. My curve is pretty deadly throwing from that angle though

ATLDirtyBirds
07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Ok yeah.... I agree with you that can be deadly. However I dont know how to throw a slider at the angle of Joe Smith. My curve is pretty deadly throwing from that angle though

Well, you can see how he grips the ball. If you hold it like that, you can either surprise people, or get them to chase silly pitches. You can drop it in like I said, or if the count is 0-2, start it to the outside, it will break way off the plate.

EDIT: And yes, I throw a wiffleball very hard and after a bunch it starts to hurt the shoulder and sometimes my elbow which I have an injury history with. A couple of pills and I'm normally fine the next morning.

adschofield
07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
It makes the same movement in baseball (Slider, Sinker, Curve etc.)

But the major difference is the actual break of the pitch. The breaking balls are exagerated in wiffleball and it is physically impossible to achieve the same movement in baseball. Wiffleballs are plastic with holes on the side if you didnt know that.

Well I knew that, but I was just curious if the movement is created by how you grip the ball or something else like release point

ATLDirtyBirds
07-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Well I knew that, but I was just curious if the movement is created by how you grip the ball or something else like release point

Grip, ball position, type of wiffleball, release point, all can play factor.

Bruce Banner
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
EDIT: And yes, I throw a wiffleball very hard and after a bunch it starts to hurt the shoulder and sometimes my elbow which I have an injury history with. A couple of pills and I'm normally fine the next morning.

Pills don't fix 'tator tears!

bored of education
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM

this man knows what is up

ATLDirtyBirds
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Pills don't fix 'tator tears!

I just get general soreness in my arm. No real different from pitching a real baseball.

fischbowl
07-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I play almost everyday actually

TheBuffaloBills
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM

Also your wrist motion can add extra break on the pitches. Just snap your wrist forward and youll add extra velocity and movement.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm actually going to play some today.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-08-2008, 12:50 PM
We should have an NFLDC game of whiffle ball. Then maybe a game of kickball, and after our games we can go trade drink slushies at the Quickie mart and try to pick up on chicks.

CJSchneider
07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
We should have an NFLDC game of whiffle ball. Then maybe a game of kickball, and after our games we can go trade drink slushies at the Quickie mart and try to pick up on chicks.

Yeah, and I can wear my oversize "Starters" jacket so we can steal boxes of baseball cards. (yeah, I did it!)

SuperKevin
07-08-2008, 02:14 PM
My brother and I used to play 1 on 1 wiffleball in our backyard almost every day. We started out playing with tennisballs but broke like 3 windows so naturally we had to move onto to less destructive wiffleballs

And sarf, don't knock kickball. Awesome game. They have a highly competitve adult kickball league in the DC area that I plan on joining when I move back in March

ATLDirtyBirds
07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm actually going to play some today.

Terrible game by me. My friend kicked my ass 1 on 1, and barely even swung. Couldn't find the zone.

holt_bruce81
07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Wiffleball is awesome! I use to play it all the time, my pitching was sick.

TheBuffaloBills
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Wiffleball is awesome! I use to play it all the time, my pitching was sick.

Get back into it..... Dont ever let the dream die..... Dont.

thule
07-09-2008, 01:55 AM
I play a variation of wiffleball called dirtball....basically it has a lawn chair...if you hit it, it's a strike and if you don't it's a ball...this leads to some sketchy strikes but makes it more about the game and less about the call. Other than that...only rules that really change are if you dont' hit it over the fence it's a out...and if you hit my shed with a man on it's a double play...it's also played with a fat bat and a nerf ball...which leads to less movement...thinking about changing it up to wiffleball tho when i move into my new house.

TheBuffaloBills
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I found this clip of Joe Smith heckling a fan...... Seems like a jerk.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNSiXasfE9w&fmt=18

------------------------------------------------------------------
But today, guys..... I have figured out the key to the knuckleball.

Follow this diagram:

http://www.wiffleballusa.com/images/big-knuckle.gif

But the key for me was to have the interior knuckle of my index finger the only part of my palm touching the ball.

Brent
07-10-2008, 06:24 AM
you forgot to add "and eat Big League Chew" there.

TheBuffaloBills
07-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Tommorrow is going to be my first real fastpitch game against someone.... I mainly played slowpitch, and the only time I played fastpitch wiffleball, was against the wall.

I am afraid my mechanics will fall apart when I pitch against a batter..... Anyone have advice?

PalmerToCJ
07-12-2008, 11:11 PM
We used to play a few games every Sunday, slowpitch... Any time someone would rocket it we'd start calling them Roger Clemens and slow it down, some of my buddys aren't the most coordinated lol.

We had a sweet setup with a neighbors fence and everything. I got my swing perfect, I so wish we had stats I had like 500 home runs lol.

j05son
07-13-2008, 01:51 AM

all while at the NFLDC meet and greet....

kickball will be after the massive mock draft.

thule
07-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Tommorrow is going to be my first real fastpitch game against someone.... I mainly played slowpitch, and the only time I played fastpitch wiffleball, was against the wall.

I am afraid my mechanics will fall apart when I pitch against a batter..... Anyone have advice?

Really only three things that affect your accuracy...your stride...make sure you are pointing with your foot where you wanna throw.

Focus on where you want to throw it...huge help...though often overlooked.

Make sure your lead hand is also pointed where you wanna throw...just go over these three things in your head if your having trouble locating your pitches and it will come eventually.

Sometimes your pitches just aren't working...change it up...sometimes I go from a full windup...and i can't hit anything...so i change it up and go from the stretch...for some stupid reason it makes a difference at times....thats why they say 75% of baseball is mental.