PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Predictions!!

Notredameleo
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
So, what are you guys predictions for the rookies this season..

How many Yards will Smith have?
Sacks for Fluellen and Avril?
Any UDFA's to make team?
How many games will Fluellen start?
Will Campbell make the team, or even see the field?

Predictions..feel free to make your own!!!

norsemenfootball
07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
i think we will have smith go over 1000yrds this season and ill say 13 tds

campbell will make the team as a SAm i think bobbie williams tommy blake and and the QB from hilldale fluellen will play some in the start and then he'll fully take over i think avirl will prove himself in the preseaon and become a starter i still think we shouldve got felix jones but hey im gunna go out on a lim here and im gunna say 9-7 this yr and have a playoff run

Addict
07-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Smith I'm guessing 1,100 yards 11 td's
Dizon if he starts at OLB 80 tackles 5 sacks if he starts at mlb 110 tackles 3 sacks.

Fluellen 3 sacks Avril 7 or 8

No UDFA's

Campbell will be the Lions' equivalent of Marques Colston in the long run.

Iamcanadian
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
So, what are you guys predictions for the rookies this season..

How many Yards will Smith have?
Sacks for Fluellen and Avril?
Any UDFA's to make team?
How many games will Fluellen start?
Will Campbell make the team, or even see the field?

Predictions..feel free to make your own!!!

Smith will have 700 yards as a rookie and maybe 4 or 5 TD's if he's used near the goalline, but he'll have few runs exceeding 20 yards.

Fluellen will be very lucky to see the field unless a lot of DT's on the Lions get hurt. That is his only chance to ever start next season but he will see action on special teams.

Avril will also be questionable as to whether or not he sees the field as a rookie but might get 2 or 3 sacks as a situational DE and will play spoecial teams..

None of the undrafted FA's will see playing time except maybe on special teams.

Campbell might make the roster as a special teamer although it is a longshot. He is far more likely to be cut.

Cherlius will likely start at RT but it will be the second half before he is anyway better than what we had last year. However, by the second half we should see an improving player who still needsw a lot of work as a pass blocker.

Dizon is a longshot to start although Marinneli might throw him right into action since it is very unlikely that we will win more than 5 games. If Marinelli had his drothers, he'd wait until the 2nd half before starting Dizon. Only 22-26% of rookies start their rookie season including 1st rounders and the vast majority of them only get an opportunity on losing franchises, so given the fact that we are clearly a losing franchise Cherlius and Dizon may start right away even if they aren't close to being ready. they be asked to learn on the job but don't expect much from them until the 2nd half.

As Johnson showed last year, there is an immense learning curve when moving from college ball to the pros. Losing teams like the Lions tend to throw their rookies right into the fray but sometimes they are overwhelmed by their inexperience. RB's tend to find the transition easier so Smith may end up as our only rookie who is capable right from the start. Fans who think rookies will turn arounde their franchise immediately usually end up disappointed.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Gloom and doom already I see.
1) I agree with Kevin Smiths numbers because I think most likely he will be splitting time with Tatum Bell. Unless Smith vastly outshines Bell in TC, they'll split and 700 yards would be very good for Smith if Bell gets like 800-900 yards. It all depends on our comittment to the run, which we seem to have this year. Gosder is a good run blocker, and last year this line when balanced was able to run block. The RBs fit the scheme and I know Raiola,Mulitalo,Gosder fit the scheme. We'll see how Backus and Peterman can pick it up.
2) Fluellen will see playing time depending if they move Ikaika and how good Ikaika is at at DT on 3rd down. Darby will not be on the field on 3rd down so Fluellen has a chance to rotate in.
3) Agreed on Avril except I could see 4-5 sacks as a situational 3rd down guy. Bring in Avril on 3rd down with White, Redding and either Ikaiaka/Fluellen and we have some young pass rushers on the field.
4) Dizon should start at SLB. Linebackers like RBs tend to make the biggest impact on their rookie seasons. Alex Lewis is not much competition and we need him for special teams so I could see Dizon starting.
5) Cherilus agreed will most likely struggle against the pass early. He has some good matchups against younger DEs early though (Jamaal Anderson,San Fran LE, Ray Edwards, Anthony Weaver) and some tough matchups where will need to focus on running the ball (Kampman,Ogunleye)