PDA

View Full Version : Best at each instrument

rainbeaukid2
07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
so my buddies and i were arguing about this, who are the top 5 players of their respective instruments?

my list goes:

guitar:
jimi hendrix
eric clapton
eddie van halen
dimebag darrell
stevie ray vaughan

bass:
les claypool
flea
john entwhistle
victor wooten
cliff burton

drums:
neil peart
john bonham
keith moon
joey jordison

what are your guys' thoughts?

Jay
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Guitar: Chris Arp. No contest.

rainbeaukid2
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM

never heard of him, but i just looked him up on youtube and both eddie and steve vai tap better than he does

fischbowl
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes) should be added to bass and Johnny Marr (The Smiths) should be added to guitar

DragonFireKai
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Guitar:
Jimi
Jimmy
Clapton
Van Halen
Satch

BeerBaron
07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I hate that Petrucci gets no love...ever...on the guitar. If he were a simple hard rock guitarist he'd be all over everything. Curse that Prog Metal genre showing off his real talents!!

rainbeaukid2
07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Guitar:
Jimi
Jimmy
Clapton
Van Halen
Satch

ya, joe satriani was one of the guys that one of my buddies named

Jay
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
never heard of him, but i just looked him up on youtube and both eddie and steve vai tap better than he does

There is a 0% chance that you evaluated his guitar playing in the two minutes it took you to post this reply.

Brent
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
full band:

Vocals: Freddie Mercury
Lead Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Rhythm Guitar: John Fogerty
Bass Guitar: Les Claypool
Drums: Neil Peart

StripedWalrus
07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I hate that Petrucci gets no love...ever...on the guitar. If he were a simple hard rock guitarist he'd be all over everything. Curse that Prog Metal genre showing off his real talents!!

Metal Guitarist, bassist and drummers tend to not get the recognition they deserve. They are by far some of the greatest musicians. Rock tends to get most of the recognition. You can;t go wrong with a Dave Mustaine guitar solo or a Herman Li shred.

So who do I think is the best guitarist...

Dave Mustaine
Alexi Laiho
Herman Li
Yngwie Malmsteen
there are others...but the best is Alexi Laiho

DragonFireKai
07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
ya, joe satriani was one of the guys that one of my buddies named

He's not flashy, and he hasn't really been in a major mainstream band like the others, but he's probably the most talented guitarist ever.

diabsoule
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
This list is arbitrary. I won't vote for anyone.

Brent
07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
He's not flashy, and he hasn't really been in a major mainstream band like the others, but he's probably the most talented guitarist ever.
I guess it depends on what everyone thinks qualifies an artist as "the best".

DragonFireKai
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I guess it depends on what everyone thinks qualifies an artist as "the best".

Satriani wasn't the first to do anything, but he can do everything as well as anyone.

rainbeaukid2
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Satriani wasn't the first to do anything, but he can do everything as well as anyone.

thats how jeff beck is too i believe

yourfavestoner
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Proof that Neil Peart is the best ever:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fald1yE2giY&feature=related

bored of education
07-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Neil Peart is a god

Im_a_Romosexual
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Keith Moon > Peart and it's not really that close IMO

Boston
07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Neal Peart > Drummers

WMD
07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Whoa now let's not sleep on Geddy Lee.

WMD
07-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Also, Neal Peart. http://youtube.com/watch?v=NuOTkrEVeb4

rainbeaukid2
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Keith Moon > Peart and it's not really that close IMO

although i love the who and keith moon, i have to say that i think bonham is better. his moby dick drum solo is amazing to watch

buddy rich is also an amazing drummer, i forgot about him. there are a lot of similarites between rich and bonham

ImBrotherCain
07-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok i might get flamed for this. But i personally do not think Jimi is the greatest guitar player of all time. He was great, dont get me wrong. He was technically sound and a virtuoso in his own right. But i dont think he is the most technically gifted guitar player ever. What i classify Jimi as is the most influential guitar player ever. Hes on every ones list of why they picked up a guitar.

Well with that said. I think Jani formally of Sonata Arctica is an amazing guitar player and to me one of the best in the world

Vikes99ej
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM

Hell, I'd take the dud from Warrant over him.

A Perfect Score
07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
This is all subjective of course, mostly depending on what kind of music you listen to...there are guys out there nowadays who can rip on a guitar playing insane stuff that wasnt even around when Jimmy was alive. And that is by no means a chirp at Jimmy, who I think is one of the greatest musicians ever to live. Just saying.

See, if it were me, Travis Barker would be a top 3 drummer on that list. Dude is just NUTS. straight up. I have seen him in concert a few times, and hes one of the more entertaining drummers to watch. His upside down solos are ******* incredible. I really like the fact that he dabbles in all types of music as well. I value versatility in music, just like I do in acting.

Vikes99ej
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
This is all subjective of course, mostly depending on what kind of music you listen to...there are guys out there nowadays who can rip on a guitar playing insane stuff that wasnt even around when Jimmy was alive. And that is by no means a chirp at Jimmy, who I think is one of the greatest musicians ever to live. Just saying.

See, if it were me, Travis Barker would be a top 3 drummer on that list. Dude is just NUTS. straight up. I have seen him in concert a few times, and hes one of the more entertaining drummers to watch. His upside down solos are ******* incredible. I really like the fact that he dabbles in all types of music as well. I value versatility in music, just like I do in acting.

Preach on Travis Parker.

I'd take the late Brad Delp of Boston for vocals.

tEk
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I hate that Petrucci gets no love...ever...on the guitar. If he were a simple hard rock guitarist he'd be all over everything. Curse that Prog Metal genre showing off his real talents!!i love dream theatre. go petrucci.

DragonFireKai
07-09-2008, 12:06 AM
i love dream theatre. go petrucci.

Dream Theater is an awesome group. I saw Petrucci open for Satriani at the G3 tour last year.

StripedWalrus
07-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I think I will put this again because he is an awesome guizitar player!!

Alexi Laiho

oh yea rock on Children of Bodom!

xooberon
07-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Guitar:
Frank Zappa
Robert Fripp
Tom Morello
Jimi Hendrix
Nick Drake

Bass
Flea
Juan Alderete
Hub
Charles Mingus
Les Claypool

Drums
Billy Cobham
John Bonham
Jon Theodore
Questlove
Elvin Jones

left out loads of people, there are too many to name

farfromforgotten
07-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Michael Angelo Batio - Guitar

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10

Jay
07-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Hell, I'd take the dud from Warrant over him.

Then you obviously know nothing about Chris Arp. Dude will play circles around ANYONE.

CJSchneider
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Can Phil Collins get some love at drums?

awfullyquiet
07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh kids. Here's the story.

1) Barker is garbage. A faster dave grohl. Which isn't a complement.

2) My list of best of bests. And because i'm a dumb stupid hipster. I do a lot of thinking about this.

Guitarists)
Robert Johnson
Jimi
SRV
Clapton
Jeff Beck
in that order.
Virtuosos of guitar, the Vai's, Satriani's, Malmsteens, all tend to fall a little later because of the soul, musicianship is more important than technicality, hence the list being how it is. I'd pick vai near bb king and duane allman. even though, as far as technicality, Derek Trucks is, at least according to Dickey Betts and myself, is better than duane allman. But doesn't have the same musicianship.

Moving on.

Drums (in no order)
Neil Peart
Buddy Guy
Bonham
Damon Che (don caballero)
Palmer
Chris Pennie (dillinger escape plan)
Ginger Baker

Bass (in order))
Jaco
Geezer Butler
Steve Harris
Vic Wooten
John Entwistle
Geddy Lee
Jamerson
Family Man Barrett (of Bob Marley and the Wailers)
MINGUS
Mike Watt (Minutemen)
P-Nut (311)
Flea
Les Claypool
John Paul Jones
Cliff Burton
Andy Rourke (Smiths)
and
Fieldy (Korn)

End of list

awfullyquiet
07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Then you obviously know nothing about Chris Arp. Dude will play circles around ANYONE.

Speed does not equal goodness.

Ask malmsteen.

jballa838
07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
cowbell: Scott Wright

DHVF
07-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Michael Angelo Batio - Guitar

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10
Yeah, I love Batio, but honestly the best guitarist atleast in my opinion has got to be Michael Romeo of Symphony X. Look him up on youtube and be amazed. He may look like some fat D&D type, but the dude shreds like none other.

awfullyquiet
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I love Batio, but honestly the best guitarist atleast in my opinion has got to be Michael Romeo of Symphony X. Look him up on youtube and be amazed. He may look like some fat D&D type, but the dude shreds like none other.

True that. Romeo is fantastic for a metal guitarist. He's just so sweepy, swelling, and a master of his tone.