PDA

View Full Version : new iPhone

leroyisgod
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone going to buy the new 3g iPhone this Friday when it comes out? I have the original and really like it and I'm debating whether or not to wait on the new iPhone or even switch to the new Blackberry when it comes out.

AlexDown
07-09-2008, 09:37 AM
The service is much more expensive on the new one.

Brent
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry but you're going to get a new phone already? How do you people afford that crap?

leroyisgod
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry but you're going to get a new phone already? How do you people afford that crap?

It's called a job

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 10:15 AM
It's called a job
you must be banking because I have a job 10-7 every weekday and i don't even own a phone. not because i can't afford it but mainly because i think they are a waste of money. there isn't any point in buying a new phone. its wasting money. save your money for something important. or are you the type that HAS to have the baddest and coolest EVAR!!!!!?

AlexDown
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
People can spend money on whatever they want. What you may define as "important" is completely subjective. Not that I don't agree with you to some extent.

Brent
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
It's called a job
Well, then I guess your job pays a lot because spending $200+ for a phone is a lot, especially if you already have one. And AT&T Wireless isn't exactly a low-priced provider.

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
People can spend money on whatever they want. What you may define as "important" is completely subjective. Not that I don't agree with you to some extent.
I understand that to some people a cellular device is important. Needed for jobs, kids and what not. But he has a perfectly conditioned working iPhone already. Why blow your money on a new one just because it has 3g?? I have several friends that have iPhones and i don't see the 3g network being THAT much faster. Works pretty well already.

j05son
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/06/iphone3gpricecomp2.png

I understand that to some people a cellular device is important. Needed for jobs, kids and what not. But he has a perfectly conditioned working iPhone already. Why blow your money on a new one just because it has 3g?? I have several friends that have iPhones and i don't see the 3g network being THAT much faster. Works pretty well already.

The speed of 3G can be 3 to 5 times faster than 2G. I know for a fact that att doesn't have full 3G network, so you should make sure you live in a 3G area before plunging. 3G is comparable to WIFI speeds being marginally slower.

What really makes the new iPhone better is that it's an iPod touch, GPS capable with the fastest browsing speeds on a phone.

No need to hack it, you can put 3rd party apps on it but dragging the apps into iTunes. They have already solved the voice dialing (http://gizmodo.com/5023415/iphone-gets-voice-dialing-with-ispeak) issue with a 3rd party app.

leroyisgod
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I think what I do with my money is none of anyone's business. I simply started this thread to see if anyone was getting it. If I want to spend money on a new phone, that is my business.

And besides, I will sell my old iPhone on eBay and make up the amount of money I'm spending on the new phone. That is what I always do and end up making money in the end.

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
I just bought a Palm Centro and fully plan on buying the new iPhone when it comes out. It's only 200 bucks. Thats not alot of money this day and age. But I have a good job and make a good bit of money so whatever.

I HATE the Palm by the way.

j05son
07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I'll have the new iPhone as well.

Mr. Carter
07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I think what I do with my money is none of anyone's business. I simply started this thread to see if anyone was getting it. If I want to spend money on a new phone, that is my business.

And besides, I will sell my old iPhone on eBay and make up the amount of money I'm spending on the new phone. That is what I always do and end up making money in the end.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something but:

How do you make money selling a used, older cellphone on eBay and then buying a brand new, newer model cellphone?

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
There are unsmart people out there that do no research and will buy the older version for like 250 and the new one that is better is only 200. Ebay junkies that think everything is a steal.

leroyisgod
07-09-2008, 03:16 PM
There are unsmart people out there that do no research and will buy the older version for like 250 and the new one that is better is only 200. Ebay junkies that think everything is a steal.

Well you do have this happen, but here's how you really get people. You have a lot of people that are in the middle of a 2 yr contract and aren't eligible for an upgrade. So instead of spending the retail price, they will pay slightly over what they would if they were getting the discounted rate to get the phone.

D-Unit
07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I won't get it until it gets hacked.

MetSox17
07-09-2008, 03:39 PM

You do realize that you can sell your iPhone for the price you paid (including contract) on eBay because people aren't getting the contract that comes
with the phone, right?

If you advertise the phone you paid $299 for, that locked you down to a contract as well, for $250, people will buy that in a heartbeat because you're giving them an iPhone without the ridiculous contract.

Go check out the prices on any phone when you don't sign a contract.

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Well I was talking about in this case, it isn't smart to buy the older version for 250 when you can get the new one for 200. I realize phones without the contracts are like 200-400 dollars more expensive.

MetSox17
07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Well I was talking about in this case, it isn't smart to buy the older version for 250 when you can get the new one for 200. I realize phones without the contracts are like 200-400 dollars more expensive.

Well yeah, i know what you mean, but in the end you still have to sign a contract.

j05son
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
If you advertise the phone you paid $299 for, that locked you down to a contract as well, for $250, people will buy that in a heartbeat because you're giving them an iPhone without the ridiculous contract.

Go check out the prices on any phone when you don't sign a contract.

This man has it. People will buy the 2G iPhone as they aren't eligable for upgrade on the 3G and don't want to pay $500 but will pay $199.

I won't get it until it gets hacked.

What do you mean hacked? It comes with the ability to add apps to it just by adding them in iTunes. People are making apps for turn by turn for GPS that's already established, just a license issue with it. You pretty much have the ability to add apps to the phone brand new. I've heard there is a "Flash" app for it as well.

iSpeak came out for Voice Dialing - Call John Smith - and it dials him.

If you mean hacked to be unlocked, good luck, per agreement between ATT and Apple, Apple is suppose to send random updates to permanently lock devices that have been unlocked.

It's like you've entered the subsidy unlock code incorrectly 10 times which permanently locks the phone to ATT's network. Don't buy an unlocked version of this, and don't try using one on T-Mobile, it may work for for 3 months, until Apple sends the [Random] updates.

bernbabybern820
07-09-2008, 08:52 PM
My lucky sister's company is offering to pay for the new iphone as well as the 2 year plan to all their employees.

d34ng3l021
07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I was really excited about it, but after I learned how much the plan would for 2 years, I decided against it. Its about as much as the other smart phones, (Blackberry, Palm), maybe even cheaper, but I dont really need a smart phone right now. Theres no need to burden my parents with the payments anyway.

LonghornsLegend
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I bought the LG VU last week through AT&T, personally its good enough for me, its basically the smaller slimmer version of the iphone...Touch screen, video, camera and screen are all updated with high quality and has TV available, for the price difference I didn't need too much more.

http://cellphones.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lgvu_1.jpg

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I had the view but hated it. I didn't like how when I texted I would hit 4 buttons at once and I was scared the screen would get messed up too quick having to always touch it. when I couldn't find a case protective enough I brought it back for the palm.

LonghornsLegend
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I had the view but hated it. I didn't like how when I texted I would hit 4 buttons at once and I was scared the screen would get messed up too quick having to always touch it. when I couldn't find a case protective enough I brought it back for the palm.

Thats been my gripe as well, I wish it was like the PDA's for AT&T and came with a little sensor stick you pushed the buttons with, but I've gotten used to the screen and I have a case that it slides in that works...I doubt it comes close to this new iphone but for the price difference it does the trick for me, it has some great quality with the TV.

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
That's what drew me to the palm, the stylus.

MetSox17
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Stylii FTW!

Brent
07-10-2008, 06:20 AM
I really like the Moto Q. My friend has it and she loves it, she uses just about every tool on the phone.
http://phones.webhostingoverview.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/moto_q_8_2.jpg

My roommate had a Samsung Blackjack before getting an iPhone:
http://www.reviewproduct.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/samsung-blackjack-phone.jpg

I liked that more than the Moto Q but both are pretty sweet.

leroyisgod
07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I really like the Moto Q. My friend has it and she loves it, she uses just about every tool on the phone.
http://phones.webhostingoverview.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/moto_q_8_2.jpg

My roommate had a Samsung Blackjack before getting an iPhone:
http://www.reviewproduct.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/samsung-blackjack-phone.jpg

I liked that more than the Moto Q but both are pretty sweet.

I used to have the both the Q and the Blackjack. I hated the Q and loved the BJ. The only reason I switched to the iphone was the touch screen. If the BJ had a touch screen I would switch back.

Brent
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I used to have the both the Q and the Blackjack. I hated the Q and loved the BJ. The only reason I switched to the iphone was the touch screen. If the BJ had a touch screen I would switch back.
I think the blackjack is pretty underrated, it's a pretty solid phone. I don't know many people who have anything bad to say about it.

leroyisgod
07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I think the blackjack is pretty underrated, it's a pretty solid phone. I don't know many people who have anything bad to say about it.

If they spent more marketing dollars on it, you'd see a lot more people with it. I loved how it was small and compact. My only issue was that the screen was small and it wasn't a touch screen.

d34ng3l021
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Here is what I am waiting for. I guess it kind of defeats the whole 'I dont need a smart phone' thing I just said, but whatever. This seems alot better for typing, which is something I would need to do more often.

http://images.macworld.com/images/news/graphics/133401-blackberrybold.jpg

The new Blackberry Bold. Comes out in August.

leroyisgod
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Here is what I am waiting for. I guess it kind of defeats the whole 'I dont need a smart phone' thing I just said, but whatever. This seems alot better for typing, which is something I would need to do more often.

http://images.macworld.com/images/news/graphics/133401-blackberrybold.jpg

The new Blackberry Bold. Comes out in August.

That has been the big debate with me. It's either the 3g iphone or Blackberry Bold.

Freddy G
07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
So i got this iphone 3G...its real nice, except i don't get any 3G!!!!

Does anyone know about this, i tried googling it but didn't really find anything. Everything works fine except the 3G and WiFi, i don't get any sort of signal from either...even if i have full bars.

Im prolly just going to the apple store tomorrow if i can't get it.

Thanks for any help.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-19-2008, 08:37 PM
So i got this iphone 3G...its real nice, except i don't get any 3G!!!!

Does anyone know about this, i tried googling it but didn't really find anything. Everything works fine except the 3G and WiFi, i don't get any sort of signal from either...even if i have full bars.

Im prolly just going to the apple store tomorrow if i can't get it.

Thanks for any help.
CALLING J05SON!!!

WMD
07-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I've been thinking about getting one of these new fangled Smart Phone dealios.. How much are we talking, total cost with buying a phone and then a monthly fee?

d34ng3l021
07-19-2008, 09:09 PM
I've been thinking about getting one of these new fangled Smart Phone dealios.. How much are we talking, total cost with buying a phone and then a monthly fee?

Heres a list of a couple of smart phones and their prices.

I would assume most smart phones be around that area. Sorry I couldnt find a bigger list.

Smooth Criminal
07-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I bought the 3g and I dont think its twice as fast as the original iphone. Its faster on 3g but twice as fast is a stretch.

And if your 3g is coming up it means you don't have 3g service. I havn't found anywhere that I dont get 3g so idk how common it is to not have 3g service.

slightlyaraiderfan
07-19-2008, 09:47 PM

I would assume most smart phones be around that area. Sorry I couldnt find a bigger list.
It's likely WMD won't have to pay that much for phones, a lot of them offer rebtes...i got my Blackjack for 75, after the rebates and stuff.

brat316
07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/images/15337_large.jpg
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/thunderbig1.jpg

there is a phone to get. I like blackberry but its not touch screen so I got the verzion palm 700 wx. But this one Blackberry Thunder is a touch screen suppose to rival iPhone.

Brent
07-19-2008, 11:04 PM
LG Dare, please:

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/showimage.php?m=Reviews.Images&f=name&id=35301

j05son
07-20-2008, 03:31 AM

I posted that way back on page 1.

Really, it's all personal preference for which smartphone/PDA.

I work for at&t [currently] for their tech department, basically troubleshoot phoens and look at phone settings/network settings/account settings and find out why your phone isn't working.

I transfer LG's and Samsungs to Warranty the most. Samsungs are also the most popular "refurbished" phone.

I personally would not buy either. My buddy and I were looking at TV's and there was a rather nice, relatively cheap LG TV but my buddy [also works at att and actually got me the job] wouldn't buy it just because of all the complaints and returns on our end for their phones.

Back to the iPhone, I plan on getting it at some point. It has a few knocks, it has GPS but it's live [like, it won't tell you, Turn left in 200 yards], it can't MMS [if someone sends me a picture message, I have to click the link and view it on the safari browser which doesn't bother me to much], it doesn't come with voice dialing ability [iSpeak has already been established that you can download free and say "call john smith" and have it auto dial], does not have the ability to take video, only a 2 megapixel camera [thought they were going to update that from the first iPhone - which they didn't - but they did update the software which gives it a SLIGHT performance increase], there is no cut and paste [I know srsly?].

I know a lot of people here [P-L] are interested in the Blackberry Bold.

Here's a good article comparing the two; http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/16/blackberry-bold-vs-iphone-3g-yeah-we-definitely-went-there/

If your to lazy to read, here was their verdict;
While the Bold certainly has improved media and other consumer features, it really is a business device at the end of the day. The iPhone 3G is a consumer device that happens to play nice with a lot of corporations, and we honestly think you won’t find many people dropping their BlackBerrys for an iPhone. They’ll carry both as long as they can afford it.

'cuse-213
07-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Whats everyones high score in cuberunner. 207

TCU
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
the new iphone sucks, my friend has one, he has to pay more than twice what i pay per month for my original iphone, the 3g kills the battery life and its not even as widely available as the edge, so half the times he is using edge for internet.

d34ng3l021
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I posted that way back on page 1.

Really, it's all personal preference for which smartphone/PDA.

I work for at&t [currently] for their tech department, basically troubleshoot phoens and look at phone settings/network settings/account settings and find out why your phone isn't working.

I transfer LG's and Samsungs to Warranty the most. Samsungs are also the most popular "refurbished" phone.

I personally would not buy either. My buddy and I were looking at TV's and there was a rather nice, relatively cheap LG TV but my buddy [also works at att and actually got me the job] wouldn't buy it just because of all the complaints and returns on our end for their phones.

Back to the iPhone, I plan on getting it at some point. It has a few knocks, it has GPS but it's live [like, it won't tell you, Turn left in 200 yards], it can't MMS [if someone sends me a picture message, I have to click the link and view it on the safari browser which doesn't bother me to much], it doesn't come with voice dialing ability [iSpeak has already been established that you can download free and say "call john smith" and have it auto dial], does not have the ability to take video, only a 2 megapixel camera [thought they were going to update that from the first iPhone - which they didn't - but they did update the software which gives it a SLIGHT performance increase], there is no cut and paste [I know srsly?].

I know a lot of people here [P-L] are interested in the Blackberry Bold.

Here's a good article comparing the two; http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/07/16/blackberry-bold-vs-iphone-3g-yeah-we-definitely-went-there/

If your to lazy to read, here was their verdict;

Someone reads Gizmodo.

j05son
07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Someone reads Gizmodo.

and boygenius.

It's good to know about cellphones if I have to work with them.

j05son
07-20-2008, 06:20 PM
the new iphone sucks, my friend has one, he has to pay more than twice what i pay per month for my original iphone, the 3g kills the battery life and its not even as widely available as the edge, so half the times he is using edge for internet.

3G package is $30 + $5 for sms 200 if your taking that into account.
2G package is #20 that comes with free sms200.

The 200sms is just an extra, if you don't count that, it's just $10 more per month, not double, and he also had a substantial decrease in the amount he had to pay for his phone.

Shows that in the long run, he barely pays more than you do for a phone that is better.

Battery life goes like this;
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9992887-1.html

Talk Time – Edge “2G”
IPhone - 8 Hours
IPhone 3G - 10 Hours
Talk Time – 3G
IPhone- N/A
IPhone 3G - 5 Hours
Standby
IPhone - 10 Days
IPhone 3G - 12.5 Days
Internet – 3G
IPhone - N/A
IPhone 3G - 5 Hours
Internet – WiFi
IPhone - 6 Hours
IPhone 3G - 6 Hours
Video
IPhone - 7 Hours
IPhone 3G- 7 Hours
Audio
IPhone - 24 Hours
IPhone 3G - 24 Hours

Obviously if you excessively use it, the battery is going to run out. Standard usage though indicates the battery is better than the 2G. If your friend is always in high usage apps than obviously the battery will run down.

1) http://gizmodo.com/5025150/how-to-maximize-your-iphone-3gs-questionably-adequate-battery-life

2) Call 1-800-myiphone and ask about warranty battery replacement as it could be a battery issue.

As for coverage - http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/ type in your zip code and it will show you what coverage you have.

Really, the 3G iPhone is better than the 2G. If your friend went out and bought one on the welm and didn't look to even see if he had 3G coverage or see if his area was the next to get it on the 75 more cities gaining 3G by the end of the year than that is purely his fault.

All the new features and enhancements makes the 3G > 2G. If your friend misuses the phone and also had unreasonable expectations and didn't even research the phone doesn't mean "iPhone 3G sucks" it means he is "stupid."

Freddy G
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
It works now and is sweet. Its definitely faster than the old iphone and i get 3G everywhere (prob because its a city).

Personally, i feel it was a great investment, and anyone who has ever had an iphone will tell you once you get one, you'll never want to go back to whatever you had or any other smart phone. They're straight up nice.

bernbabybern820
07-22-2008, 06:22 PM

LOL my sister's company pays 155 dollars a month for the iphone plan with all the extras.

Damix
07-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I have an AT&T 8525 at the moment, want t upgrade to an iPhone but my damn plan won't let me.

I have AT&T from like 1999, my SIM card doesn't even work in current AT&T phones, I have to buy all phones unlocked, I also can't buy data plans for my phone, and text message plans cost more then they should because they want us to upgrade.

After this year (last year of college) I really might say f it and upgrade the plan, it'd probably be double what I'm paying now, but atleast I'd be able to use my phone's features.

BlindSite
07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I've got a jailbroken ipod touch, a good sony ericcson mobile and an EEEPC I don't need anything else lol.

Brent
07-23-2008, 06:53 AM
jailbroken ipod touch
good choice.