PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for gas station trick

iowatreat54
07-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I assume most of us here in the states drive, and I know we all hate the rising gas prices. Saw this on yahoo's homepage and figured it would be good for everyone to see:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/914178

the gist of it, for those who didn't watch, is that gas stations will advertise one price, but when you go to pay with a credit card it would raise the price per gallon even though it isn't the "listed price" at the pump. So if you pay with a credit card, make sure you pay attention to what the price is before and after you swipe it before pumping. I was in a good mood today, so I figured I'd post this to help out my fellow posters already getting raped by gas prices :D

SuperKevin
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Thats been happening for years and it's not really a "trick" Most smaller and independently owned gas stations charge more for gas paid by credit card because the station pays more for the processing of credit cards.

Turtlepower
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats been happening for years and it's not really a "trick" Most smaller and independently owned gas stations charge more for gas paid by credit card because the station pays more for the processing of credit cards.

Edit: Nevermind. Kevin got it right. It also has been happening for years.

Also, I once went to a as station that said it was 4.15, but in actuality the price was 4.09. =D

iowatreat54
07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
fair enough...it's never happened to me and this is the first I've heard of it, although the logic behind it makes sense...I just wanted to inform others who, like myself, wasn't aware before it happens to them

Jay
07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I was driving home from visiting Northeastern University while I was in high school and had to stop at a gas station to get gas. I didn't have much cash so I only put in $5 and went to pay, handed the dude a $10 bill and he handed me back a $20. I stood there and looked at him for a minute, then went back to my car and drove away...

And that was back when 5 bucks got you more than 5 gallons...

Turtlepower
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I was driving home from visiting Northeastern University while I was in high school and had to stop at a gas station to get gas. I didn't have much cash so I only put in $5 and went to pay, handed the dude a $10 bill and he handed me back a $20. I stood there and looked at him for a minute, then went back to my car and drove away...

And that was back when 5 bucks got you more than 5 gallons...

Back in the 1950s?

Jay
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Back in the 1950s?

Believe it or not, 1999!

Turtlepower
07-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Believe it or not, 1999!

Gas was not below $1 in 1999.

Jay
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Absolutely was. I was paying less then a dollar when I drove to Seattle in 2001...

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Absolutely was. I was paying less then a dollar when I drove to Seattle in 2001...
I'm calling BS on this. Were you driving through Canada?? I might believe that but thats only because I have no idea about Canada.

I have driven by this gas station that has been closed down for almost 15 years probably like 12-13 years and it is, I believe like 1.20 or 1.32.

Jay
07-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I definitely paid less then a dollar out in Wyoming and Montana. It was 85 grade, but it was definitely less than a dollar.

drowe
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
gas was absolutely under $1 a gallon in 1998. filling up my car for under $10 was not uncommon.

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Must have been an up North thing. I don't recall it being THAT low down here. Granted I wasn't driving in 98-99.

Been a long ass time since I've seen a post from you though. Does this mean you are coming back or is this one of those once in a blue moon post??

Turtlepower
07-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Must have been an up North thing. I don't recall it being THAT low down here. Granted I wasn't driving in 98-99.

Been a long ass time since I've seen a post from you though. Does this mean you are coming back or is this one of those once in a blue moon post??

It wasn't anywhere below a dollar in my child hood in New York.

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
It wasn't anywhere below a dollar in my child hood in New York.
It must have been a Pennsylvania and west North thing??

drowe
07-09-2008, 03:14 PM

i'm not back. but, i'm not NOT back.

MetSox17
07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Gas was indeed that cheap in 1999. I remember moving in to where i live now, i was in 5th grade, and the gas station at the corner at one point was selling gas
for 76 cents a gallon.

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I started driving in 98 and the gas was definitely less than a buck a gallon and I live in South Louisiana.

You know what pisses me off the most? We refine/manufacture the majority of the gasoline in the US (South LA) but yet we still pay just as much or more for gas. You would having to live by these toxic places our gas prices would be a little less right? You would think the less you have to travel to ship gas, the cheaper the price right? ********! Louisiana, AKA Cancer Alley, has the most cases of cancer per year in the country. Biggest culprit? Refineries. Oh yea, I work in one so **** it. Cancer here I come.

Paid 3.84 a gallon today, I was excited.

WMD
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, here in Flint, gas was definitely under $1 in the mid-late 90's. It was barely over $1 in 2001 and since then it's risen up to over $4. Completely ridiculous!

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Well I guess I'm ********.

I would love to find 3.84 here in Dallas. Paid 3.95 last night.

This is completely random but here at work this lady just said she has been dying to rent Old Men No Countries.

Brent
07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Gas was $0.99 when I was 16 (6 years ago).

awfullyquiet
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
The gas station is only true unless you use your pin number. If you do debit, not credit, you don't get charged more.

If you're putting in just a little gas, use cash.
If you're putting in a lot, use debit.
If your work is paying for it on your expense report, use credit.

nobodyinparticular
07-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Gas hasn't been under $0.99 a gallon here since probably '96 or '97. But that's California for ya, we pay more for everything...

CJSchneider
07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
For a short time (in 2006) I was moonlighting and working as an assistant manager at a local gas station. Stations are "supposed" to change advertised prices as sson as they recieve directives to modify pump prices. some people are lazy and it doesn't happen until someone gets around to it.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

http://zfacts.com/p/35.html

http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice.html

These are some good sites to look at as far as price history. I can remeber in 1998 while I was a sophmore in college, the local gas station went as low as 97.9 cents per gallon.

Brent
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I live like 40 feet from a Valero-owned Diamond Shamrock; cheapest gas in town (it's nice).

jayceheathman
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I started driving in 98 and the gas was definitely less than a buck a gallon and I live in South Louisiana.

You know what pisses me off the most? We refine/manufacture the majority of the gasoline in the US (South LA) but yet we still pay just as much or more for gas. You would having to live by these toxic places our gas prices would be a little less right? You would think the less you have to travel to ship gas, the cheaper the price right? ********! Louisiana, AKA Cancer Alley, has the most cases of cancer per year in the country. Biggest culprit? Refineries. Oh yea, I work in one so **** it. Cancer here I come.

Paid 3.84 a gallon today, I was excited.

Its been at 3.82 here for the last few months and even when gas has gone up this one station has stayed the same. Its even 87 and not the crappy 86 oxygen level.

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anything below 87 in Louisiana.

jayceheathman
07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anything below 87 in Louisiana.

I have seen quite a few stations with 86 where I go to school although here in TX I dont see it as much. Everyone falls for it too because 86 is a little cheaper although it destroys your cars oxygen's censors if it takes unleaded. My dad filled up with 86 for the longest time and as time went on it destroyed his engine and he had to pay a few thousand to have it repaired.

I drove from Lubbock to NM and there were tons of oil refineries and it smelled like ****. I dont know how you put up with it if it smells that bad at the one you work at.

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 06:31 PM
You think oil refineries smell bad. HA try sniffing a paper mill. Now that **** stanks.

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Well inside the refineries aren't as bad as outside for some reason. Or maybe I just got used to the smell, oh well. I've worked at a paper mill, they are pretty bad too.

terribletowel39
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Well inside the refineries aren't as bad as outside for some reason. Or maybe I just got used to the smell, oh well. I've worked at a paper mill, they are pretty bad too.
Agreed paper mills to me smells like a 10 yr old diaper and rotten eggs mixed together. You always know when you are by a paper mill.

saintsfan912
07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
That rotten egg smell is molten sulfur, its even worse up close. Damn awful smell dude. It's even green in color.

drowe
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
yes, paper mills are terrible. they ruin entire cities with their smell.

SuperKevin
07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I always love stopping at those really shady gas stations that are like a quarter cheaper than everywhere else even though I'm fairly certain they are making their own gasoline out back.

bored of education
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Well another issue about gasoline. Get walking you fat *****!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm calling BS on this. Were you driving through Canada?? I might believe that but thats only because I have no idea about Canada.

I have driven by this gas station that has been closed down for almost 15 years probably like 12-13 years and it is, I believe like 1.20 or 1.32.

Canada is TURRIBLE right now. We're paying 1.30-1.40 per litre in Ottawa. Which is nearly $5/gallon. All while having one of the world's largest oil reserves inside our country :/

UKfan
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Haha, you guys all make me laugh, you have it good, we pay 1.20 or so a litre! Which is like $2.40 or so a litre for you, or roughly $10.90 a gallon if my maths is right. Either way, we have it MUCH worse than you.

Turtlepower
07-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Haha, you guys all make me laugh, you have it good, we pay 1.20 or so a litre! Which is like $2.40 or so a litre for you, or roughly $10.90 a gallon if my maths is right. Either way, we have it MUCH worse than you.

We saved your ass in WWII. Therefore, we deserve cheaper gas.

Brent
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Your economy and infrastructure isn't nearly as automobile-based as ours.

Aftermath
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Gas was not below $1 in 1999.

Here in Denver it was.

awfullyquiet
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Well another issue about gasoline. Get walking you fat *****!

That's the truth. If everyone rode a bike for under 2 mile trips, (about 20 minutes on a bike), we'd save something in the order of 25% of the gas we use on a day to day basis.

Which is why they're lucky. Most people who don't have public transportation don't understand it's amazingness to the simplicity of life with it as opposed to without it. You feel part of something.

Canada is TURRIBLE right now. We're paying 1.30-1.40 per litre in Ottawa. Which is nearly $5/gallon. All while having one of the world's largest oil reserves inside our country :/

Well, the largest oil reserve is in oil sands, which is a really EXPENSIVE way to produce oil. So, kinda a moot point.

I paid 3.86 in San Antonio, FL the other day. Lowest i've seen in months.
I still say, people drive too much, put a one dollar gas tax on every gallon.

AllDayFootball724
07-10-2008, 03:54 PM
like taxing cigs. people still smoke even though its expensive

UKfan
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Meh, still, to the guy who drives at least 20 miles a day, and probably 180 or so most weekends, gas prices are a *****.

awfullyquiet
07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
like taxing cigs. people still smoke even though its expensive

yes. but people don't spend as much on cigs than gas.

terribletowel39
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Meh, still, to the guy who drives at least 20 miles a day, and probably 180 or so most weekends, gas prices are a *****.
My advice would be to quit whatever it is you are doing that is requiring you to drive 180 miles most weekends.

My guess would be female?? If that is right, unless yall are getting married, are married, or thinking about getting married, it ain't worth it. That is WAY too much money on a crush.

Brent
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
That's the truth. If everyone rode a bike for under 2 mile trips, (about 20 minutes on a bike), we'd save something in the order of 25% of the gas we use on a day to day basis.
You know, I'd love to bike to school but I don't want to smell like **** and be covered in sweat the whole time because it's over a 100 degrees, though I do take a bus. Also, taking a bike to the grocery store doesn't work out well when I need to get like 5-6 bags of groceries. Once the cold weather comes back, I'll be on a bike for just about everything.

yourfavestoner
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
This isn't really a trick...a lot of gas stations I see now have signs posted saying "Cash Price only" or "Please help keep our prices down by paying in cash."

Gas station owners really don't make that much money, and it's much more expensive for them when people pay with cards instead of cash.

awfullyquiet
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
You know, I'd love to bike to school but I don't want to smell like **** and be covered in sweat the whole time because it's over a 100 degrees, though I do take a bus. Also, taking a bike to the grocery store doesn't work out well when I need to get like 5-6 bags of groceries. Once the cold weather comes back, I'll be on a bike for just about everything.

i know. we've had this conversation before. i advocate trailers too.

http://www.xtracycle.com/

Brent
07-10-2008, 05:51 PM
i know. we've had this conversation before. i advocate trailers too.

http://www.xtracycle.com/
Actually, I'd like to invest in a Vespa since all motorcycle parking on campus is in the most unbelievably awesome places.

terribletowel39
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Actually, I'd like to invest in a Vespa since all motorcycle parking on campus is in the most unbelievably awesome places.
4 gallon tank and gets like 90 to the gallon. I am getting one as soon as i pay off my truck. which should be in just a few months. woo hoo!!!

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
This isn't really a trick...a lot of gas stations I see now have signs posted saying "Cash Price only" or "Please help keep our prices down by paying in cash."

Gas station owners really don't make that much money, and it's much more expensive for them when people pay with cards instead of cash.

well it is a trick when it isn't listed and there is no sign, but when you swipe your card the price jumps up 10-15 cents...I feel like that's somewhere along the lines of false advertising...

Brent
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe some people should look at the number on the pump. It says it right on there, that is what you should be looking at, not the giant sign out front. Also, if the receipt matches that, you have nothing to complain about, you should have looked at the pump because the workers' at the station don't have to change those signs out front.

iowatreat54
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe some people should look at the number on the pump. It says it right on there, that is what you should be looking at, not the giant sign out front. Also, if the receipt matches that, you have nothing to complain about, you should have looked at the pump because the workers' at the station don't have to change those signs out front.

you're right about the receipt thing and you really can't complain

and btw, it's not just that the price on the pump is different, it's that it says one price, then when you swipe your card it changes...so the big sign, sign about the pump and the pump all say something like $4.20, but when you swipe the pump price changes to like $4.35...most people don't pay attention to that

but you are right, it is the customers own responsibility to pay attention, that's why I posted this to make sure others pay attention :)