PDA

View Full Version : The Travel Help Thread

fischbowl
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Use this thread if you have any questions on upcoming vacations!

I'll start:

I'm going to Minnesota August 2nd-5th on vacation/business. Things I will be doing:

-Mall of America
-Twins Games (the business)
-Visiting Fargo Film Sites
-Visiting Larry Craig Bathroom Stall
-Visiting Charles Schultz Birthplace
-St. Paul Saints
-Meeting Scott Wright for a pierogi dinner

I'm looking for day trips within 3 hours of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I've been looking at Brainerd (Home of Paul Bunyan and the Big Blue Ox!), Lake Vermillion, Wyckoff, and Duluth.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do either for a day trip or within the Twin Cities?

SuperMcGee
07-09-2008, 11:30 PM

I'll start:

I'm going to Minnesota August 2nd-5th on vacation/business. Things I will be doing:

-Mall of America
-St. Paul Saints

I'm looking for day trips within 3 hours of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I've been looking at Brainerd (Home of Paul Bunyan and the Big Blue Ox!), Lake Vermillion, Wyckoff, and Duluth.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do either for a day trip or within the Twin Cities?

What a perfect combo of fisch, Wright, and the greatest food known to man.
There's actually a hockey camp I might go to around that time in the area.

bored of education
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
im going to san diego - san fran then vegas 15 day trip starting saturday!!!!

slightlyaraiderfan
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
I am traveling to El Segundo tomorrow. Almost everywhere else, 34 miles is nothing, but in LA...it's a trek/mission. Wish me luck.

bored of education
07-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I lost my wallet in el segundo

themaninblack
07-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I actually did need to ask a question regarding this. I am going to Louisville in August(15-17th i think) to see My Morning Jacket at Louisville's Waterfront Park. Im gonna be there Friday around dinner time n Ill leave Sunday when they kick us out of our hotel. My question is if anyone from the area knows anything about Waterfront Park and if there are some things around there I can do when I'm not at the show. Bars, Restaurants, etc. within walking distance would be nice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Staubach12
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Woah, now... Are you really having dinner with Scott?

HChu
07-10-2008, 12:39 AM
San Jose next Wednesday to the following Monday.

roughrider30
07-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't go to Brainerd, I havent been there in a while but there isn't much (unless u really want to see Babe and Paul Bunyan haha)

If you want to stay within 3 hours or so I would check out the Detroit Lakes area. It's really a fun town during the summer a lot to do summer activities(plus plenty of good looking girls ;))

kwilk103
07-10-2008, 12:50 AM
pierogies are the greatest food ever

BigDawg819
07-10-2008, 01:32 AM
I shot a man in Reno

Just to watch him die

Sniper
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm in Mexico as we speak, till next Sunday. I've been here for almost six weeks and it's pretty ridiculous. The program with which I'm studying is based in Guadalajara, but I've taken trips to Puerto Vallarta, Guanajuato and San Miguel De Allende. There's been more, but I don't have the money. I highly, highly recommend Guanajuato. I recommend them all, but Guanajuato is so cool.

I'm going to Hilton Head later in August as well.

eaglesalltheway
07-10-2008, 10:48 AM

You speak of nothing but the truth.

JF4
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Try and make your way onto the "Love Boat"

awfullyquiet
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM

http://www.pierogifest.net/

riding my bike there. best ever.

terribletowel39
07-10-2008, 03:20 PM

You speak of nothing but the truth.

http://www.pierogifest.net/

riding my bike there. best ever.
is it sad i have no idea what yall are talking about?? are these a northern cuisine??

TitleTown088
07-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I live in Duluth and you absolutely want to go somewhere around here, Anywhere along the North shore is a great place to visit.

Lake Vermillion is a fun place as well.

I think a good line to follow in Minnesota is the further North you go the better it gets, I'd try to make it to the boundary waters if I were you. However, it's not overly close to the cities, but it's a great time, probably my favorite area in the United States.
I wouldn't go to Brainard, the only good thing to come out of that city is the movie Fargo.

Oh yeah, make sure to do some fishing.

yo123
07-10-2008, 05:33 PM
What business are you doing with the Twins?

Brent
07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Excellent choice.

TitleTown088
07-10-2008, 06:27 PM

More importantly, How did you get Kevin Love's fat ass to fit in your avatar?

fischbowl
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM

I work in the stats department for MLB and I'll be tinkering with Pitch F/X

I live in Duluth and you absolutely want to go somewhere around here, Anywhere along the North shore is a great place to visit.

Lake Vermillion is a fun place as well.

I think a good line to follow in Minnesota is the further North you go the better it gets, I'd try to make it to the boundary waters if I were you. However, it's not overly close to the cities, but it's a great time, probably my favorite area in the United States.
I wouldn't go to Brainard, the only good thing to come out of that city is the movie Fargo.

Oh yeah, make sure to do some fishing.

I think my posse decided to stay one night in Duluth. How far away is Lake Vermillion from Duluth?

kwilk103
07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
is it sad i have no idea what yall are talking about?? are these a northern cuisine??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

[edit] North America
Pierogi are widespread in Canada and the United States, having been popularized not only by Slavic immigrants, but also the Mennonites. They are thus particularly common in areas with large Slavic-derived populations. Pierogi at first were a family food among immigrants as well as being served in ethnic restaurants. In the post-World War II era, freshly cooked pierogi became a staple of fundraisers by ethnic churches.

By the 1960s, pierogi were a common supermarket item in the frozen food aisles in many parts of the United States and Canada. Pierogi maintain their place in the grocery aisles to this day.

Numerous towns with Polish or Ukrainian heritage celebrate the pierogi. The city of Whiting, Indiana celebrates the food at its annual "Pierogi Fest" every July. Pierogi are commonly associated with Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. There is a pierogi race at every home Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game.

TitleTown088
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I work in the stats department for MLB and I'll be tinkering with Pitch F/X

I think my posse decided to stay one night in Duluth. How far away is Lake Vermillion from Duluth?

A couple hours I think.

Stay at Fitgers in Duluth, excellent local brewery and it's located right by the lake. Another good area to stay would be anywhere on Canal park.

drowe
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM

I'll start:

-Mall of America
-St. Paul Saints

depending on how much driving you want to do..
there's a fun county park in St. Cloud where there exists a lake in an unused rock quarry. cliff jumping is the thing to do here as there are cliffs all around the lake at various heights. it's a pretty good time.

also, you could always drive across the river to chippewa falls and visit the Leinenkugel's Brewery.

fischbowl
07-26-2008, 12:28 AM
depending on how much driving you want to do..
there's a fun county park in St. Cloud where there exists a lake in an unused rock quarry. cliff jumping is the thing to do here as there are cliffs all around the lake at various heights. it's a pretty good time.

also, you could always drive across the river to chippewa falls and visit the Leinenkugel's Brewery.

Where is St. Cloud in relation to Bloomington?

yo123
07-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Where is St. Cloud in relation to Bloomington?

About an hour and a half northwest.

fischbowl
07-26-2008, 12:40 AM
About an hour and a half northwest.

thanks very much

Primetime21
04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Any suggestions on what to do in Phoenix, Arizona? Im going to be there from the 16th to the 19th. Im up for anything.

JHG722
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM

I'll start:

-Mall of America
-St. Paul Saints

Go visit the nicest sports facility in sports backed by an anti-semite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Engelstad_Arena

Brent
04-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Ukrainian food.

kwilk103
04-13-2009, 10:07 PM
might be going to new york/boston

depends if their baseball teams are in town when we go

either that or to orlando/miami to visit family

brat316
05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Any help for going to San Diego? What to do other than beach, zoo, and sea world?

Places to eat and things?